Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Spiderlix
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2023 12:51 pm 

Where i start to listen classical music?I am listening Yngwie Malmsteen stuff,but my guitar teacher told me to stop to listen it because he considers him a toxic person.

But where i start?German classical?USA classical?Brazil classical?

korgull
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2023 1:25 pm 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=seC8oc_1rYQ (Chopin / Horowitz - "Revolutionary Etude")

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRz3AQx21y8 (Segovia)

If you want more of a direct Yngwie replacement (neo-classical metal guitar virtuoso) I recommend Vinnie Moore.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktXU1_QY6qA

zervyx
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2023 2:42 pm 

Spiderlix wrote:
Where i start to listen classical music?I am listening Yngwie Malmsteen stuff,but my guitar teacher told me to stop to listen it because he considers him a toxic person.

But where i start?German classical?USA classical?Brazil classical?

Malmsteen??? Do you want classical music like Mozart?, or do you mean Neo-Classical Metal music?

aloof
avant-gardener

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2023 7:12 pm 

sack your guitar teacher and keep listening to Yngwie Malmsteen like the rest of us.

electric27
hurr hurr i post whiel drunk

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2023 12:53 am 

The best way to get into classical is the same as any other genre: see it live! For real, nothing compares to the power of hearing 60+ musicians all slaying a piece together.

III

Raven_Augustus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2023 1:45 pm 

I really love modern movie soundtracks (John Williams, Hans Zimmer, you know the deal), but I can't get into classical for some reason. I get really bored.

The only exceptions are some pieces by Wagner, Tchaikovsky and Edward Grieg. Those are very dramatic and over the top. Mozart puts me to sleep.

Bahana
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2023 9:46 pm 

It depends on what kind of mood you're in. Classical music varies based on what time period it is from. Do you want something light and relaxing or powerful and emotional?

Spiderlix
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2023 11:08 pm 

Bahana wrote:
It depends on what kind of mood you're in. Classical music varies based on what time period it is from. Do you want something light and relaxing or powerful and emotional?

I would say both.xD

Bahana
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2023 11:41 pm 

Spiderlix wrote:
Bahana wrote:

I would say both.xD

One of my favorites is Beethoven's Pastorale Symphony https://youtu.be/9ORsinmqm0M

Xymosys
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2023 3:47 am 

Simply the best way for me when it comes to classic music:

https://www.classicfm.com/radio/playlist/

Play and relax!

Sepulchrave
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2023 2:40 pm 

Start with Bach's Passacaglia and Fugue in C Minor and explore him and his contemporaries from there on, and then towards other composers and periods that fascinate you. I think it's a fairly understandable composition for someone weaned on neoclassical metal. Just keep listening to it, don't be too bothered by a set guiding order to listening to the genre, but reading up to appreciate the historical development of Western classical music helps.

I like your guitar teacher. I appreciate Malmsteen but his whole shtick is extremely one note.

Festivus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2023 4:22 pm 

Well, I got into it thanks to the space opera epic Anime series Legend of the Galactic Heroes, which has classical music as its BGM.

After I was done watching the series, I went to listen to Gustav Mahler and Anton Dvorak, iirc.

I've always loved Ravel's Bolero. First listened to it when I was a little kid.

Bronze Age
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2023 1:00 am 

Xymosys wrote:
Simply the best way for me when it comes to classic music:

https://www.classicfm.com/radio/playlist/

Play and relax!

I have never used this but it looks cool.

I would look at all the non-opera stuff from the conductor Carlos Kleiber. His Beethoven, Schubert, Brahms, CPE Bach, Telemann, Borodin, Dvorak and J Strauss albums are top notch.

Academy of Ancient Music, Academy of St. Martin in the Fields, Tafelmusik, The English Concert, Akademie Fur Alte Musik are some of my favorite performers.

I also like the composers Debussy, Ravel, Stravinsky, Bartok and C Nielsen but would start with Baroque and Classical periods.

yungstirjoey666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2023 12:58 pm 

Spiderlix wrote:
I am listening Yngwie Malmsteen stuff,but my guitar teacher told me to stop to listen it because he considers him a toxic person.

A lot of musicians in general are pretty toxic, especially by today's standards, and I'm pretty sure historical classical composers are no exception to this.

Anyways Tchaikovsky is the most attractive-sounding composer imo.

Krakenn
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2023 4:07 pm 

Chopin, Mendelssohn and Mozart are a great start.

I recommend you this masterpiece from Mendelssohn: https://youtu.be/I03Hs6dwj7E

Thy Shrine
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2023 3:44 am 

Rite of spring bro obviously at least on a metal forum id expect that's the first mention it's like metal as classical it's aggressive and beautiful and not completely consonant and pretty

Perhaps.

dike
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2023 12:05 pm 

What I did was to start with some pieces that I liked and then tried to figure out what genre they were part of (medieval, renaissance, baroque, classical romantic, modern).

I also tried to figure out what kind of pieces I appreciated. Long concept pieces? Short separate pieces?

And then the type of instrumentation. Do I like operatic vocals? Choral music? Do I enjoy piano pieces? Cello pieces? Do I like violin driven pieces or do I prefer wind instrument driven stuff?

And lets not forget about the power of the search engine. When I realized that I loved Mozart'z Requiem then a short search for "music like Mozart's requiem" gives some nice results. I personally prefer to search for reddit or quora threads on the subject.

And don't stop listening to Malmsteen. Musicians vary in personality and what is acceptable will shift with time. If you like the music keep listening to it. You don't have to become like the person playing.

Good luck!

Amosofnlm
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2023 5:29 pm 

For metalheads Holst's The Planets is a great place to start:

Debussy is wonderful as well in a much more chilled out way:

pentalarc22
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2023 4:18 pm 

Mahler's 6th Symphony in Am (Tragic) is my favorite. Shostakovich Symphony #11 in Gm The Year 1905 (aka Tocsin symphony) is my second favorite.

mot_the_barber
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2023 4:41 pm 

I think the best way to start with classical music is to start in "the middle" and then work either forwards or backwards. By "the middle" I mean Beethoven. I like using him as a starting point because a lot of his music is familiar and quite cinematic, so it's usually going to be something that most contemporary listeners can get into. Start with his symphonies, then concertos, then piano sonatas and string quartets.

Then, you can work forwards from there into some of the people who came after him in the early 19th century - like Schubert, Schumann, and Berlioz - and then continue into some of the later 19th century composers such as Offenbach, Bizet, Brahms, and Mahler. (And Wagner I guess tho I've always found his music to be pretty boring.) For these, I would probably pick a genre that you like and stick with mostly that instead of trying to work through everything they wrote - so for example if you find symphonies to be the most interesting, just listen to their symphonies.

In the early 20th century there was an explosion of new styles of music and a lot of what we think of as "classical style" started to break down, so at that point I'd probably come back and ask for more recs.

After working forward, you can also work backwards from Beethoven to see how music evolved in the centuries leading up to him. Working backwards, I'd go through Haydn, Mozart, the Bach songs (CPE and JC), then into the Baroque period with JS Bach and Handel, and then further back if you're still finding the music interesting.

pentalarc22
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2023 1:53 pm 

mot_the_barber wrote:
I think the best way to start with classical music is to start in "the middle" and then work either forwards or backwards. By "the middle" I mean Beethoven. I like using him as a starting point because a lot of his music is familiar and quite cinematic, so it's usually going to be something that most contemporary listeners can get into. Start with his symphonies, then concertos, then piano sonatas and string quartets.

Then, you can work forwards from there into some of the people who came after him in the early 19th century - like Schubert, Schumann, and Berlioz - and then continue into some of the later 19th century composers such as Offenbach, Bizet, Brahms, and Mahler. (And Wagner I guess tho I've always found his music to be pretty boring.) For these, I would probably pick a genre that you like and stick with mostly that instead of trying to work through everything they wrote - so for example if you find symphonies to be the most interesting, just listen to their symphonies.

In the early 20th century there was an explosion of new styles of music and a lot of what we think of as "classical style" started to break down, so at that point I'd probably come back and ask for more recs.

After working forward, you can also work backwards from Beethoven to see how music evolved in the centuries leading up to him. Working backwards, I'd go through Haydn, Mozart, the Bach songs (CPE and JC), then into the Baroque period with JS Bach and Handel, and then further back if you're still finding the music interesting.

I agree with starting in the middle, but is Beethoven really "in the middle?" I guess I just always thought of him as more towards the beginning, more traditional.

Glad to see someone agree Wagner is severely overrated. He's the classical equivalent of that guy who wrote one really cool riff, and a big hit, and coasted on it since. Ask the vast majority of modern Wagner fans to hum some Wagner and they'll hum the trombone line from "Ride of the Valkyries." Ask them to hum something else by Wagner and you'll get a blank stare.

j_bentley12885
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2023 4:55 pm 

I like string quartets best. Bartok is my favorite, Beethoven, Haydn and Mendelssohn are all a close second for me. Not the biggest fan of Bach but I do enjoy his unaccompanied cello pieces as well as Art of the Fugue.

Nocturnal_Evil
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2023 4:02 pm 

Raven_Augustus wrote:
I really love modern movie soundtracks (John Williams, Hans Zimmer, you know the deal), but I can't get into classical for some reason. I get really bored.

The only exceptions are some pieces by Wagner, Tchaikovsky and Edward Grieg. Those are very dramatic and over the top. Mozart puts me to sleep.

I prescribe you some Holst, stat!

I'm also drawn to that cinematic sounding stuff, and I've enjoyed Dvorak, Alexander Litvinovsky, Hovhaness, Tchaikovsky, Handel, Vivaldi, and Rimsky-Korsakov.

Good to see I'm not the only one who thinks Wagner is stupid over-rated.

Bad at Life
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2023 11:37 am 

Bach is a good place to start, and if you like shred Pagannini was kinda like the Yngwie of his day.

Middle Earth
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2023 4:46 pm 

Arron Copland
George Gershwin
Johannes Brahms
Johann Sebastian Bach
Maurice Ravel
+1 to all the above recommendations posted

deadtome
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2023 9:10 am 

Great thread. I love classical too, it plays all day long in my house on the radio.....it's a local station. I'd recommend the radio if you have a classical station in your area.

RickJames
Future Drone Librarian

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2023 11:30 am 

Here are some titles:

Mussorgsky - Night on Bald Mountain
Vivaldi - The Four Seasons
Prokoviev - Dance of the Knights

If you want specific links, I will link them, just let me know. Chau

deadtome
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2023 9:33 am 

RickJames wrote:
Here are some titles:

Mussorgsky - Night on Bald Mountain
Vivaldi - The Four Seasons
Prokoviev - Dance of the Knights

If you want specific links, I will link them, just let me know. Chau

Good rec's. I figured all MH's listen to classical at some point.
Muss goes on and on for 11 minutes haha.

Reply to topic