Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic  
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Gatherum
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:02 am 

Being subscribed to the Blood Music newsletter, I got another e-mail today regarding upcoming pre-orders, some of which being for a new Kauan re-recording compilation called Muistumia, as well as leftover copies of the first vinyl pressing of Aava Tuulen Maa. When I go to look at the former, I notice, just as it has been for every Blood Music vinyl release, that the standard black edition is in shorter supply than the coloured (or in this case, white) edition.

Now, when faced with multiple colours of a vinyl edition of any given record, I will typically choose whichever one is in shorter supply because I shop for vinyl records based on rarity (I'm a collector). As an example, I put forth the effort to track down and snag one of the 50 existing black copies of VYGR's Hypersleep in lieu of the other three coloured "swirl" variants because Creator-Destructor produced 150 of each. Literally speaking, it is the rarest record I have in my collection. Similarly, I spent a little more to obtain the clear-coloured edition of Underoath's Ø (Disambiguation) even though I favour gold as a colour because only 400 clear LP's were produced to the gold's 600 (or the picture disc's 1000).

I'm just wondering whether or not my logic is sound in the context of the vinyl market. In the case of the black Hypersleep vinyl, the seller was letting it go for what seemed like a very low price for its rarity (only about $18), but it's difficult to cite that as compelling evidence for any perceivable error on my part due to the general obscurity of both the band and the record (it's also possible that the seller didn't really know what he had on his hands). Nevertheless, Blood Music seems to advertise their coloured vinyl more overtly, and the fans seem to, in turn, react more strongly to them. Even I will admit to a preference for the white edition of Muistumia, since white as a colour seems to suit Kauan's music in some oddly profound manner.

What do?

I believe it was Confucius who said "Life is merely a series of intervals in which one waits for the next Agalloch album."

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:48 am 

Get whatever isn't going to set your OCD off because you didn't get the rarer of the two and will be angry because you might turn out regretting it.

I personally go for whatever one I feel is more interesting or fitting. So if it's a case of 50 black or 100 green swirl... I like the green swirl so I'm going with that. I'm not hugely a collector on rarity of the album but what is pleasing to my eye for the package.

I know there are sides to both camp that are just like you, rarity over all and some like me, eye candy over all. Either way it sounds like you'll be happier with the rarer one in the long haul. Go with that.
http://speedritualrecords.storenvy.com/ Check out my music here

Gatherum
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:41 pm 

Seems sensible enough.

Any other opinions though?

I believe it was Confucius who said "Life is merely a series of intervals in which one waits for the next Agalloch album."

ShaolinLambKiller
King Asshole

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:54 am 

Guess not, hahahha. Just go buy it before you can't.
http://speedritualrecords.storenvy.com/ Check out my music here

Jasper92
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:35 pm 

Sometimes I go for the rarer. But most of the times I go for the color I don't have or the color I find fitting. For example. Last year I bought Carcass's Swansong on vinyl. I got the pink vinyl. Fitted that record just perfect hehe. When I can't really decide between colors, I tend to go for the rarest one of them. Most of the time the rarer colors are the nicest or fit the record the most, but I won't pay a bunch of extra money for getting a rarer color.
Megadeth Cyber Army member #14126
http://cyberarmy.megadeth.com

Gatherum
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:35 am 

Ended up getting the black variant. Can't wait too long to invest in Blood Music releases: they tend to be both very limited and highly visible. Very volatile situation (seriously, Ne Obliviscaris vinyls selling out within 57 minutes--I'm still really annoyed at that, you know <_<).

Arcvna
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:40 am 

Gatherum wrote:
Ne Obliviscaris vinyls selling out within 57 minutes--I'm still really annoyed at that, you know <_<).

I think there will be a re-pressing next year of the vinyl, but I doubt it will be a limited edition

Opus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 3:17 pm 

Just because it's rare doesn't mean it's valuable.

martinsane
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 3:26 pm 

I think the initial reply was the soundest.

You are certainly the driver here and as you mentioned the rarer or more limited release is your obsession so fuel your fire mate!

Gatherum
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 4:45 pm 

All right. I appreciate the input, guys. :)

Reply to topic