Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Machine_Dead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:32 pm 

Ofcourse it's up to the admins if they think this thread deserves a worthy lifespan, but I thought this would make for an interesting comparison.. So I was just wondering;

who are the oldest and youngest forum visitors here? anyone here that is younger than 16 (born after 1998)? and anyone older than 50 (born before 1964?) ? It would be interesting to do this little social experiment where we put totally different generations next to eachother just to see in which area's they differ the most? For example; which are the most recent gateway bands when getting into metal and which ones were those in the past? through which channels do we find what we are looking for in metal. None of us lives in the same condition and some of us are even multiple generations apart. From this little survey we might be able to conclude if we all despite all these different little factors somehow end up listening to the same metal essentials like; Black Sabbath, Slayer, Iron Maiden, Metallica, Judas Priest, Death, Morbid Angel, Bathory, Darkthrone, Mayhem etc.... or who knows maybe totally not... Maybe we'll be able to find out this way why that is.. It's more of an observationally survey. Not for school or a project or whatever.

So to start of a discussion (and people who are younger than 50 and older than 16 can ofcourse join in the discussion, but the main goal is actually to find who is the youngest and oldest forum user here) here are some startoff questions (don't be afraid to elaborate.... ):

would be interesting to make a comparison between the two about:
-How did you end up here on this board?
-How you got into metal? / What were the first metal or borderline metal bands that sucked you into the whole metal thing?
-Which channels contributed to the expansion of your metal knowledge?
-Did you manage to see a lot of popular metal bands live yet? or are you still planning to?
-Do you care more about older or newer bands (do you prefer the bands from your own generation?)?
-Do you purchase albums at all? what format? do you maintain a collection?
-How do you listen to music (rip to pc/ipod/cd or vinyl player - why that format)?
-Do you experience difficulties trying to catch bands live (permission parents/distance/car availability or driver's license/age restriction at the venue/ working hours that don't permit this/no time at all...) and how do you deal with that?

NOTE: Please don't forget to mention your age or birth year !

Maquina_Muerte's Last.fm
The Hazard Zone

Last edited by Machine_Dead on Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:39 pm, edited 6 times in total.
NoKnownName
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:09 pm 

Being almost born in '98, I'm probably the youngest here.

To answer your questions:
1. I actually used to hate this site ("No Avenged Sevenfold? What blasphemy is this?!"). Then I started to use the main site to look up obscure bands (mostly NWOBHM) and eventually was sucked into the black hole. I enjoyed reading convos, wanted to join in, etc. and decided to join.
2. My dad, Guitar Hero, and the Internet. I was introduced to Sabbath, DP, Iron Maiden, etc. by my dad when I was preteen. Then I bought Guitar Hero and got into Dragonforce and Slayer, which opened up the doors to power and thrash metal. Then, I looked up these bands on Wikipedia and Youtube and everything snowballed.
3. Listening to the music, reading Wikipedia and this website.
4. Blue Oyster Cult were my gateway drug. I loved the horror/fantasy lyrics and imagery. Trans-Siberian Orchestra also played a part for reasons I'll get to below. After BOC naturally came Sabbath, AC/DC, Black Album-era Metallica, Iron Maiden, and Dio.
5. TSO was the first "metal" show I went to. Seeing part of Montrose's set at Rib America 2009 was also great. I plan on seeing King Diamond later this month.
6. I like newer and older bands, both mainstream and underground. I used to have a "older is better" mentality, but I grew out of it.
7. I buy albums and maintain a CD collection with some vinyl. I buy downloads if the bands need support or are independent.
8. I listen to music through streaming, my iPod, a CD player, and record player. Each format has its advantages and disadvantages for me.
9. I don't go to shows. I would like to, especially considering that most near me are all ages, but my schedule doesn't allow for it usually. Doesn't help that I don't have a license. It annoys me, but I live with it.
Doom is the blues of metal, you either feel it or you don't.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:14 pm 

I'll answer the first two. I got into metal courtesy of video game soundtracks, primarily the Megaman X series, DooM, and some Q-sound based arcade cabinets like Cadillacs and Dinosaurs. I think it is fair to say I was already theoretically a 'metalhead' by 1994 or so thanks to these, but it took me another four-five years to actively pursue real bands.

I'm really thinking back here...I joined MA one evening after a band practice. For some reason we were looking up The Black Dahlia Murder (who are big locally, and we knew their drummer at the time) and stumbled on the site. That was apparently February 14, 2007, go figure. I had no memorable contact with the site beforehand.

http://www.myspace.com/thevala
http://www.last.fm/user/Diamhea

MorbidEngel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 12:34 am 

I'll bite

-how did you end up here on this board?
I knew of the forums for a while but from roughly 2004 to 2012, I mostly used the site for looking bands up. I started coming to the forums around the time Hurricane Sandy plowed through here.

-how you got into metal?
In late 2003, my brother gave me his copy of the Mortal Kombat movie OST. My favorite song on there for a while was Fear Factory's Zero Signal. I also liked the remix of Type O Negative's Blood and Fire. For a while I hated Napalm Death though :V

-which channels contributed to the expansion of your metal knowledge?
The music, the internet, here, last.fm, people on IRC

-what were the first metal or borderline metal bands that sucked you into the whole metal thing?
Fear Factory, obviously. Other early bands include Shadows Fall, Killswitch Engage, Damageplan, Chimaira, and others I can't remember

-did you manage to see a lot of popular metal bands live yet? or are you still planning to?
Kind of. I don't go to a lot of concerts, and the most "obscure" I've gone to was Starkill (who I missed), Fleshgod Apocalypse, and Wintersun, and even that's not obscure at all.

-do you care more about older or newer bands (do you prefer the bands from your own generation?)?
Not really. As long as it's good.

-do you purchase albums at all? what format? do you maintain a collection?
On occasion, digital or CD. I don't really have a "collection" unless you count a digital collection; my physical collection is actually small.

-how do you listen to music (rip to pc/ipod/cd or vinyl player - why that format)?
Winamp, since most of my stuff is digital and I have the plugin for it for last.fm. My car stereo is another one; listening to stuff while driving is always good.

-do you or do you not (still) go to shows? Do you experience difficulties trying to catch bands live (permission parents/distance/car availability or driver's license/age restriction at the venue/ working hours that don't permit this/no time at all...) and how do you deal with that?
I haven't gone to a show since September 2013 unfortunately. Most shows are in NYC around here which is amazingly awful to drive in, and I don't have a set job schedule so getting an off day for a concert can be shitty. It's not much of a hindrance though since I don't go to that many shows.

BloodSacrificeShaman
Leopold Herman Stotch

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 1:44 am 

I'm 21, so not too relevant to your age search. But I'll answer the questions anyways.

I remember hearing the term "Metal Archives" from a guy on YouTube. I was curious, Googled it, found this site and was quite in awe at how much info there was here, and how easy it was to find any kind of metal band very quickly. I mostly ignored the forums for a while, but eventually decided to join in under the username ToDreamOfUr. I made a fool out of myself and got banned, so I ended up returning as my current account and proceeded to make a fool out of myself again. After a rather lengthy break, and after reflecting on my attitudes, I came back to posting semi-regularly and hopefully not making a fool out of myself once more.

I guess I'm forever stuck with my title though. Butters.

-how you got into metal?

Back in school, my friends liked bands such as Slipknot and Killswitch Engage. One day, oddly enough, my friend showed me a Suffocation music video while we were screwing around in computer class, and I dug the hell out of it. It's been a slowly increasing adventure since then, really.

Originally I was mostly confined to what my friends listened to, and the small amount of "related videos" I found on YouTube during class. When we finally got the internet installed at our home, I began to explore more thoroughly on YouTube and started talking to people who pointed me toward certain bands and genres. So I'd say a combination of YouTube, Metal Archives and word of mouth.

-what were the first metal or borderline metal bands that sucked you into the whole metal thing?

Well that would be Slipknot, I guess. Though I was into Limp Bizkit and Linkin Park before then, but I'm not sure how "borderline" we're willing to go here. If even Slipknot does not count, then next came Soulfly and after that Mushroomhead. The first "real" (if you wish to call it that) metal band that I truly fell in love with was Amon Amarth. A pretty good, comfortable introduction to extreme metal that has since spawned my passion for death metal.

Upon reflection, I'd have to actually give it to Soufly over Slipknot. I loved the heavier Slipknot songs, but I think I did so more because my friends liked it and I kind of tagged along. Soulfly was perhaps the first band that my friends didn't listen to that I discovered and came to love on my own. So they may have been more influential.

-did you manage to see a lot of popular metal bands live yet? or are you still planning to?

Unfortunately not. I've suffered from social anxiety for much of my life, and so haven't really gone out to social occasions much at all. However back in November of 2013, I finally ended this by going to a Nile/Faceless show with my best friend. Since then, I've also attended a show featuring a couple of local bands, which I liked. At the start of next month, I'll be seeing Psycroptic and a few local bands as support. There's another gig the following week featuring Ne Obliviscaris that I will also hopefully be going to. So it's definitely picking up for me now. Getting out there more often. I've been heavily enjoying it, very different vibe from just listening to the music over a CD player or headphones.

-do you care more about older or newer bands (do you prefer the bands from your own generation?)?

Hmm, I do tend to look at older bands a bit more often. I think I get a little caught up in the "golden age" sort of mentality a bit, though there's also the idea that I should explore and become familiar with the roots and influences of the genres I like. As if it was essential. There are still plenty of older, classic bands I have yet to listen to that I always feel I should. However, there's plenty of newer bands I also enjoy, a few of which I'd consider my all time favourites. If I may plug a band, Scythian from the UK would be among them. Their record, To Those Who Stand Against Us, is one of my favourite death metal albums.

I do purchase albums mostly in CD format, though I do have a handful of cassettes. Unfortunately, I don't have the money to buy nearly as much as I would like. I have around 200 or so albums right now, but the majority of my music is illegally downloaded. It isn't something I'm proud of, but I'd much rather listen to it now and buy it later when I have the means to do so, than put it off for a few years entirely.

-how do you listen to music (rip to pc/ipod/cd or vinyl player - why that format)?

The majority of it I play through my PC, with headphones. I find it comfortable and also seems to offer the best quality. However I do enjoy playing my CDs on my CD player as well, through the loud speakers. I mostly do this when I'm either in an active mood or drunk, and wish to headbang to it or whatever. But yeah, most of it I listen to with headphones from my PC.

-do you or do you not (still) go to shows? Do you experience difficulties trying to catch bands live (permission parents/distance/car availability or driver's license/age restriction at the venue/ working hours that don't permit this/no time at all...) and how do you deal with that?

Well as previously said, I've got a couple coming up right around the corner. There is definitely difficulties though due to my social anxiety. I find that getting drunk helps with that, and allows it to go by without any problem (but drinking to solve a problem is a problem in itself, so..). There's also the case that where I live, Australia Tasmania, doesn't exactly have all that many shows happening on a regular basis, at least not up north. But hey, I'm working on it and there's certainly enough happening to start getting invested into it a bit more often.

Not sure if all that was helpful or interesting, but hey.

John_Sunlight
President Satan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 2:42 am 

This thread can finally make up for the deficiency caused by the lack of MA-oriented social media sites.
"Since that time, I have received highest level confirmations that such organizations not only exist but are rooted in satanic ritual murder and extend across America’s political landscape into nearly every community."

CardsOfWar
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 3:19 am 

I'm willing to wager I'm close to the youngest, being that I was born in 2000

-How did I end up on this site?
I think I just chanced upon it one day about a year ago. Sadly I don't really remember how.

-How did I get into metal
I torrented a Hammerfall alum when I was 9 years old, then after that I played "Robot Unicorn Attack: Heavy Metal." (I know that's a pretty false way) Since then I've widened my tastes quite a lot.

-which channels contributed to the expansion of my metal knowledge?
This site, Wikipedia, and TV Tropes

No to both.

I'm not really sure about that question. I listen to plenty of more recent metal, but I really could care less about the contemporary proto-metal bands like Slipknot or Killswitch Engage or whatever. I also generally really hate the jock-metal bands like Pantera or Metallica. Other than that, I listen to most every style of metal. Taake to Fates Warning to Candlemass to Primordial.

I purchase physical albums of bands I really like and that actually need the money. I'll happily torrent from a band of the level of success of Mastodon or Judas Priest, but I'll always support an artist like Incursus or Northern Oak. Also, I always download music from dead musicians. I don't want my money going to some record company executive or talentless relative.

I largely listen to my music on a computer using headphones,(Due to the fact that I don't want to harass my family with "That infernal racket!") but occasionally I'll listen using speakers in a CD player.

Never been to a show. Quality metal ands rarely make the flight from the frostbitten North to Australia, and when they do, they tend to make their shows 18+ (I guess they lose very little revenue from not letting under 18s in, and they lose quite a lot from not serving alcohol.)

Witty stuff here soon. Watch this space!

Last edited by CardsOfWar on Wed Oct 15, 2014 3:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Derigin
Anthropophagus

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 3:21 am 

I didn't know whether to despise this survey or respond to it, but I caved. The vast majority of people who will respond to this will be in their late 20s to their early 40s, largely because of the medium of the site (the Internet) and how long it has been around (twelve years). Some of us regulars have been around for a long, long time, too. My age is in my profile.

How did you end up here on this board?
Long story short, back in the early 2000s I spent a fair bit of time on heavy metal DC++ hubs both as a participant and as a moderator. We were a small community of people and there were some hubs that had a fair bit of chatting in them. Sometime around late 2003/early 2004 someone must have mentioned this site and I went to go check it out. I registered here under my DC++ name, and for about two years I stuck around as a lurker for the most part, only posting once-in-a-while or venturing into the chatroom occasionally. By 2006 I wanted to distance myself from DC++, so chose to re-register under a new name (this current one). I became more involved in the site and eventually got to know the staff members very well; I was made a staff member not long after and then an administrator fairly quickly after that. And that's where I got to where I am today. I don't tend to post much, review or contribute as I used to... I prefer doing the behind-the-scenes stuff and keeping busy with site projects.

How you got into metal?
Hmm, not entirely sure. I suppose when I was much younger I enjoyed what many folks would consider classic heavy metal, but which I knew only then as "rock." My earliest experiences with metal were largely through friends and later through trades; during the 1990s and early 2000s it was still very much an underground phenomenon. How did I get to that stage? Hrm. Always enjoyed music when I was a kid - one of the earliest photos of me has me as a toddler sitting on the living room steps with a box of cassettes rocking out with these very large headphones. I'll see if I can dig it up; I haven't seen that photo in years. I used to be a bit of a bastard, too. I thoroughly scratched my parent's vinyl collection and used to develop the most outrageous "recording studio" setups to create mix tapes. I tended to associate at school with people who were musicians or enjoyed rock, punk and metal. I don't remember how, but I picked up Bathory's "Hammerheart" and that was the turning point for a growing appreciation for heavy metal. At the same time I was also using the Internet fairly frequently (or as frequently as dial-up would let me...) and was heavily involved in the gaming and webdesign communities. Perhaps by chance, or by circumstance, the combination of both led me here.

Which channels contributed to the expansion of your metal knowledge?
Initially through friends, and then through trades and gigs, and finally through the Internet. Contributing to MA has probably led to the greatest "expansion." I've learned more about bands, and have found more bands through MA than any other channel. I've met more like-minded folks and more artists and bands through working on MA than through any other channel. I've had the opportunity to meet folks through MA and I have to admit it doesn't shock me, but it does come as a pleasant surprise to see how similar many of us tend to be, in habits, lifestyle, and interests. There are a few folks here I'd consider among my closest friends.

What were the first metal or borderline metal bands that sucked you into the whole metal thing?
Heh, Bathory is the closest. As far as "borderline" and "non-metal" bands go, I knew of them but had little interest in them. I had experience with Black Sabbath, Slayer, Metallica, Judas Priest and Iron Maiden from a very young age. Where I grew up, people who typically tend to listen to hard rock (Guns N' Roses, for example) also tend to listen to those bands. There was also Pantera, which had a bit of an influence on me. Pantera was the first gig I went to, actually. On the other side of the spectrum were mostly non-metal bands - Slipknot, Soulfly, KoRN, Marilyn Manson - and grunge, modern rock as well as punk rock bands, including Rage Against the Machine and System of a Down. Those were everywhere, and although I would listen to them on the radio and at friends' houses, I had little interest in them outside of that.

Did you manage to see a lot of popular metal bands live yet? or are you still planning to?
Yes... and no. I've seen plenty of bands that are no longer around, and some that keep on playing. I grew up in Western Canada and unfortunately not a ton of the European bands I enjoy make it around there. I have been able to go to a few gigs in Europe, which were enjoyable. I've also traveled elsewhere in the region to go to festivals and gigs. When I was living in larger cities I would frequent local gigs on a regular basis, and still plan to wherever I move to. I am unlikely to see some of the most popular acts again (Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, Metallica, and so on) just because I've had the experience and for the cost once is definitely enough. Some of the most enjoyable gigs I've been to have been the smallest ones.

Do you care more about older or newer bands (do you prefer the bands from your own generation?)?
Hmm. That's a tough question for me because, well, I've been caught in the middle. Folks who grew up in the 80s and early 90s (arguably) have the right to say they experienced a "golden age" of heavy metal. There have been lots of bands I've enjoyed that have come out of that period. Younger folk today have the right to say they are living in a time where metal of all types and sizes is more available at their fingertips (literally) than any other time. In that sense, there's so much more to experience and I suspect it will keep on growing and proliferating as a genre. Newer bands come up frequently for me as part of my duties working the band queue. Sometimes it's unavoidable to see where current trends are going, and admittedly there are some fantastic bands that I enjoy from this "newer" generation. That said, the greatest portion of my collection comes from a time when I wasn't so preoccupied by other things, and so much of it dates from the late 1990s and early 2000s. But I think when it comes down to "caring" about older or newer bands, I'd say I'm fairly impartial on that.

Do you purchase albums at all? what format? do you maintain a collection?
I prefer to purchase or trade for albums in a physical format. On occasion I would download albums either to complete a collection or to try them out, but my ideal is to physically own the item. At present, my collection is stored in a series of boxes. About six or seven years ago I started the practice of converting my collection into a lossless digital format. Truth be told, I still have not finish correctly tagging all the albums, and I certainly haven't heard them all. I've generally been open to trading albums, though I am very picky about who I trade with. A fair portion of that collection is listed in my profile on the site. In recent years I've generally moved away from listening to the albums on my hard drive and just using YouTube or Bandcamp for convenience. The only time I specifically listen to my collection is to review albums.

How do you listen to music (rip to pc/ipod/cd or vinyl player - why that format)?
These days I usually listen to songs uploaded to YouTube or Bandcamp or listen to my physical collection that I converted digitally. I'll either use my speakers or my headphones. When out-and-about I'll use my smartphone as a music player. I do tend to play my vinyl collection on occasion; I tend to find that for some albums it has a better sound. All cassettes and special formats have been converted to digital format. Based on past experience, I don't particularly trust my luck with cassette tapes...

Do you or do you not (still) go to shows?
This seems like a repeat of an earlier question...

Do you experience difficulties trying to catch bands live (permission parents/distance/car availability or driver's license/age restriction at the venue/ working hours that don't permit this/no time at all...) and how do you deal with that?
Yes and no. Right now I'm in a small town temporarily so there's little chance of seeing a gig, and that's OK with me. When I am in larger cities I'll typically go to local gigs and larger gigs whenever they are in town. I do try to hit up festivals when I can, though sometimes it doesn't work out for some of the international ones. Turns out you never know what circumstance will bring when you buy a ticket a year in advance! But other than that, I've never had problems. When I was younger, I either went with friends in a car or on a bus if I lived too far from the gig. Nowadays, I typically take public transit or go by car. I also do tend to go alone to gigs, though that's largely because I know very few people who are interested in going. I had some experiences with gigs going with friends, and I've enjoyed that thoroughly. Makes the experience a bit more enjoyable, but otherwise going alone is fine.

Crick
Despised by 17 Corners of the Universe

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 6:24 am 

Eh, I'll bite.

I was googling Finntroll in like grade 7 or 8 I think, because I was really into Century Media bands at the time I guess. I found the MA page for Finntroll and was basically sucked in from there, because MA let me find tons of new music on a regular basis. From there I checked out the forums, lurked briefly, then joined.

-how you got into metal?
I really liked Rammstein as a kid, as well as a handful of songs by the assorted nu-metal flavor of the week bands back then. I always kind of felt that, aside from Rammstein, none of those bands really helped me work through aggression -- I needed something harsher. I also had this crush on a goth girl, and I found out she was a fan of Cradle of Filth (among other bands), so decided to get into them, and that was a start in terms of aggressive music. Harsh vocals improved everything for me; I never cared for a lot of my friends' bands like Linkin Park or SOAD because of the excessive clean vocals just irritating me. Shortly after CoF I found Mayhem's "Deathcrush", and the sheer abrasive nature of the record fascinated me enough to want to explore metal. I went on a really long black metal kick after that which I'm still honestly burnt out from, but I also found The Devin Townsend Band around that time via a metal thread on 4chan where their song "Depth Charge" was linked, and that exposed me to the rest of Devin's material and hooked me as a huge fan of his. Those were probably the two most important moments in my exposure to metal (so yeah, I skipped the Metallica/Judas Priest/Iron Maiden phase entirely, I guess).

See above.

Basically entirely this website. I had a few months of Frostwire and Wikipedia like some kind of savage, but that got done away with once I discovered MA and blogspots.

Nope. Been to one metal show in my life (Devin Townsend Project). No metal bands worth seeing really come to my cruddy little town; they all play Toronto. I do want to see Gargoyle and Ningen-Isu live at some point, since I've been an avid collector for their live videos and they put on a hell of a show, but otherwise I'm not really interested in seeing any metal bands play
these days. (This answer counts for the last two questions as well)

I'm of the opinion that metal has largely run its course as far as pushing the boundaries goes. I'm content to just listen to worship bands and my old favorites now, really. The only time Im interested in a metal album I havent heard is if its some kind of really bizarre progressive monstrosity. I'm always down for so called "avant-garde" metal bands if they don't suck ass (insert comment here about how they all suck ass).

My metal collection is 90% Japanese CDs. Japanese CDs are fun to collect, really... A lot of metal CDs, they've been ripped and scanned and uploaded all over the internet and back by now. But Japanese stuff, not so much. And there's always the lyrics that no one's uploaded because they can't read the language, and all the old photos of the crazy hair metal-meets-hardcore punk days of visual kei. I suppose I am a biased Japanophile faggot at this point, but I really do just get this sense of giddiness and nostalgia buying Japanese CDs that I just don't get anywhere else anymore. Perhaps its the hilarious high prices or notorious scarcity of older releases that makes them so much more valuable to me in my pea-sized, weeaboo brain.

Entirely on my computer, iPod, or car stereo. Never touch my CDs once I've ripped them. They're collector's items, and I like to make playlists more than I like to sit through entire albums anyway. Plus, the few times I have taken my CDs places with me, they've more or less been guarded with my life. And once or twice I dropped them because Im a klutz, so really, it's just no fun taking them anywhere.

I turned 20 two months ago, if my age still matters. I suppose that'd mean I joined MA at the age of 14.

Under_Starmere wrote:
Hehe, hole.

Back Stabbath
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:32 am 

I "like" it, FB stylee.

Long time lurker. Was looking for collab. Some Swedish guys helped.

-how you got into metal? / What were the first metal or borderline metal bands that sucked you into the whole metal thing?

T-Rex/Led Zeppelin/Queen then Deicide "deep end" etc via Metallica but when the black thing came out that ended.

Er, Rage on the national broadcaster ABC.

Napalm Death, Sadistik Exekution, Faxed Head, Black Cobra and Inquisition definite highlights. I need to see Ministry before I die.

-do you care more about older or newer bands (do you prefer the bands from your own generation?)

My gen and older usually, but I like the kids stuff too.

Before I lost my house coupla months ago I literally had the Ulver demo and Fleetwood Mac's greatest hits on vinyl (and that's all). I gave up collecting in '02, as I live outta bags a lot. I like mp3s now. I still buy stuff direct from bands and give it to people if I think they'd like it.

Parties, live, my Sony Walkman.

-Do you experience difficulties trying to catch bands live (permission parents/distance/car availability or driver's license/age restriction at the venue/ working hours that don't permit this/no time at all...) and how do you deal with that?

Never. I'm 37, and have been drinking in pubs since I was 16.

Esgeea
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:46 am 

NoKnownName wrote:
Being almost born in '98, I'm probably the youngest here.

"No Avenged Sevenfold? What blasphemy is this?!"

Or Korn : )) (sorry for being off-topic)

LE: Oh, you have them in your signature : ))

On: I didn't have access to internet when I was starting to listen to metal music. I'm sure I would have been as active as I could, including forums & co.

PDS
The Young One

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 8:18 am 

I'll bite, I can't sleep so this will give me something to do. While I'm definitely not the youngest member, I am the youngest mod, at 19 years of age. (HENCE THE TITLE)

When I was getting into metal and was searching for a lot of bands on google, a good amount of time a MA link would be first on the search. I clicked the link and I am here now.

How did you get into Metal?

I first got into Hard Rock music via one if my friends showing me one of those World of Warcraft videos with music. The song was from a hard rock band called SOiL (the singer later would be in Drowning pool for a while). I sort of followed a link trail into the more metal songs. I my full introduction into metal is really weird in comparison to most people. The first two metal bands to fully draw me in was Cradle of Filth (Specifically Saffron's Curse off of Midian) and Equilibrium. I guess because of this Equilibrium has stayed my favorite band of all time, or something like that. I never got into the Nu-metal stuff but I listened to some as Bodies by Driwning was a big hit in the Section of the Zoo I used to volunteer at.

Really MA, since I was on the site when I was just getting into metal it proved a valuable resource

did you manage to see a lot of popular metal bands live?

The most popular metal band I have seen is Cannibal Corpse. The only other popular band I plan on seeing is GWAR, which I plan on seeing no matter what. (after a missed change where I severely rolled my ankle at the time days before what would be Oderus's last west coast tour)

Do you care more about older bands or newer bands?

Since my two favorite metal genres are Avant-Garde Metal and Folk Metal. I would have to say newer bands. The heyday for these subgenres was early 2000's and considering a lot of the older gents of the folk scene are on the shitty album trend, I look out for the new meat.

do you purchase albums at all? & How do you listen?

I mainly buy CDs, I would buy Vinyls but there are two reasons I don't: 1. I like perusing CDs more than vinyls, so I don't have to go through every album I own to find something. I can just scan and pick instantly. 2. I don't own a vinyl player. *shrug*

As for how I listen, I play my Cds on my large 80's-90's speakers and CD player. I also rip the CDs onto my computer to FLAC and 320kbps mp3 formats. Since I use the apple media players, they can't handle FLAC so I use the 320mp3 for mobile listening and the FLAC for storage just in case anything happens to my collection.

Do you experience difficulties trying to catch bands live?

Yeah, I don't own a drivers license due to San Francisco's fabulous transit system. This does cause problems since all the venues are a good 30 minutes bus ride to the industrial districts, which aren't the nicest places to be at night. I'm not an imposing guy, even with my decent muscles and my 10 years of martial arts practice, I'm a little shorter than the American average and I'm pretty underweight. Besides being fairly neurotic, trust me when I say I have had some very very very very close calls esescislly when waiting for the 38-Geary I'm the Filmore district.

Napero
GedankenPanzer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 8:37 am 

Machine_Dead wrote:
would be interesting to make a comparison between the two about:

I searched for something on something, and found this place as the first search result in late 2004, lurked for two months, and joined on an impulse to write a review, which I had never done before.

Machine_Dead wrote:
-how you got into metal? / What were the first metal or borderline metal bands that sucked you into the whole metal thing?

Deep Purple and Rainbow in the early 80's. Through my circle of friends, essentially.

Machine_Dead wrote:

This place, of course, magazines in the earlier days. The first band to have any signifigant presence on the net for me was Amorphis, they had a newsgroup in 1992. At least that was the first one I ever noticed, they were way ahead of Metallica & Al.

Machine_Dead wrote:

I think I have been to something in between 300 and 400 gigs and festivals, with probably well over 1000 individual band performances in total. Amorphis 27 times, so far, for example. One or two gigs a month, with two or three bands on the average, for the past seven to ten years.

Machine_Dead wrote:

I like both. Call me open-minded if you wish, but I can listen to anything from early 70's Deep Purple to new death metal or post-metal, and get the same kicks.

Machine_Dead wrote:

CDs, all the way, I have over 2000 of them... and if that's not an option, YouTube. My previous car, a 1991 Corolla, had a cassette player, which was fun, too.

Machine_Dead wrote:

CD player.

Machine_Dead wrote:

I've seen almost everything I want to see. Still missing Atheist, Artillery, Agent Steel, Mekong Delta, and a few others.

Machine_Dead wrote:

I live near Helsinki, I have a car, and I'm 42. Questions? :D

CardsOfWar
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 8:37 am 

Back Stabbath wrote:

--which channels contributed to the expansion of your metal knowledge?

Er, Rage on the national broadcaster ABC.

Rage is great. I don't find it plays very much metal, (or maybe I just tune in at the wrong times) but it's good just because it's a channel from which one is involuntarily exposed to music, and it actually manages to play a variety of different genres of music, rather than merely playing whatever's hot in the top 40.

Resident_Hazard
Possessed by Starscream's Ghost

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:18 am 

You should edit your initial post to start your questions with capital letters. I had to capitalize them here because I consider it half-assed to not do so. Anyway, why not contribute. There doesn't appear to have been too many lively new threads for a little while. Though I doubt too many will read the other posts here...

Don't remember. Was looking for an internet community to be a part of, this was where I went. I joined two or three other boards around that same time, but at least one or two of them don't exist anymore and this is the one I stuck with because, honestly, the intelligence level was just higher than most other places. Also, METAL.

-How you got into metal? / What were the first metal or borderline metal bands that sucked you into the whole metal thing?
AC/DC and Metallica. That's where it started. I was in High School. Metallica's Load was still a new album.

Friends, this site contributed a lot (would likely not have found Atomizer othewise). Occasional random purchases of albums. I made a couple larger moves, and with those, found new people that expanded my Metal tastes.

-Did you manage to see a lot of popular metal bands live yet? or are you still planning to?
Not a whole lot of concerts. I went to something like 5 OzzFests. First concert was Megadeth on the Cryptic Writings tour. I've gradually grown out of wanting to go to concerts as I find the nights to be exhausting and I simply have too much other stuff going on in my life. For instance, when I leave my day job, I go home and work on game development with my dev team. That takes up much of my weeknights. My girlfriend takes up the rest of the time, and my son takes up the weekends and any other time I can get him. I've seen a lot of my favorites, but would still like to see Iron Maiden and Judas Priest with Halford before they're gone. Last concert was Amon Amarth double-set two or three years ago. Great show, but the night was ruined a bit by my drunk friend. I also have little patience for inebriated people these days.

-Do you care more about older or newer bands (do you prefer the bands from your own generation?)?
I like what I like. Most of my focus has been 80's Thrash, especially the Big Four, if you will, and that era, to me, has some of the most originality. But, I have broadened my tastes a bit beyond Metal on occasion, and favorite bands run the gamut of Judas Priest, Megadeth, OverKill, Atomizer, Destroyer666, Amon Amarth, Hypocrisy, Iron Maiden, etc. I have no specific era or style, but my most followed bands tend to be Thrash, Death, or Power Metal.

I buy physical whenever I can and import to my own digital library. I have purchased a few via Bandcamp, like Oak Pantheon, who is also a friend of mine (and Sami in the band supplied music for my team's upcoming game release).

-How do you listen to music (rip to pc/ipod/cd or vinyl player - why that format)?
I tend to listen to music on my iPod, but I try not to use the term "iPod" because I don't want people thinking I'm some pretentious hipster asshole. It's the only Apple product I own, and has somehow worked since 2009, despite the average lifespan of an Apple product being about 4 months. Sometimes I listen to CD's in my car, if I forget the iPod.

Hey, wait a minute, didn't you already ask this? I've seen Blondie and Alice Cooper in concert. Not at the same time. Alice Cooper was the first show I took my kid to. He was two. Some hippie girl tried to talk to him. Again, he was two. It was an outdoor festival called the Taste of Minnesota. Which I think is dead now. Looks like I had enough content for this question to be asked twice.

Time, hassle, interest. I'd rather just buy albums and listen to the music. I don't want to deal with a bunch of drunk assholes and stoned teenagers. I'm not straight-edge or anything, I just have a low tolerance for stupidity, and drinking or getting high tends to ramp stupidity up to insane levels remarkably quickly. The music means something to me. It's not just some excuse to get wasted. I've kind of out-grown concerts, is, I guess, the gist of what I'm getting at. They were fun for a while, but not so much anymore. If I want to be covered in someone else's sweat and fluids, I'll stay home and have sex. How's that for a description of a concert?

Also, to throw this off a bit: I grew up on a farm, in a rural community of fewer than 300 people. My county crammed kids from 5 towns into one country high school. Most people, I believe, who grow up in that situation do not listen to Destroyer666.

Last edited by Resident_Hazard on Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Exigence

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:25 am 

I'm 28 and my first metal forum was Metal-Rules back in August 2001. M-A kinda started as an offshoot of MR back then but I don't I registered my first account until 2004. Never used the forum until the past few years.

MutantClannfear
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:24 am 

I'm 17. Might've actually been the youngest person on this board at one point, but let's not talk about those times...
Google-searched for Whourkr in 2010, this place was the first result.
In sixth grade, one of my close friends at the time was really into Slipknot and Disturbed. Slipknot led me to listening to Sirius XM's metal station, which led me to Behemoth, Cannibal Corpse, Lamb of God, and essentially all the other bands in the Metal Starter Pack.
Wikipedia helped a bit, as did YouTube, last.fm and online radio, but mostly it's been the people on this forum and the things they liked and recommended. I owe my discovery of my favorite band of all time to someone I met here.
Not really. I've seen Cannibal Corpse and Napalm Death, but generally speaking, big bands aren't wont to come to my neck of the woods.
Newer, by far. I enjoy some older bands like Deep Purple and Black Sabbath, but by and large I feel like a lot of styles of metal only hit their stride long after their primordial years. It's a matter specific to rock and metal, really - a big part of my enjoyment of metal is the sheer intensity of it, which is an aspect that only fully developed later on. As a counterexample, I'm very into, say, bleak female-fronted folk and I infinitely prefer artists from the 60s and 70s to modern musicians in that regard. Bathory and Darkthrone and Mayhem are nice and all, but I'd take the new rawer, more flittery, and more vicious modern styles of black metal over them any day. I don't really like the bands that I'd say have defined metal for my generation, but inevitably I feel like the best music is still being released.
Yes. I prefer CDs, but I have a fair few cassettes and vinyl as well. I've got something like 450 in total nowadays.
Mostly rips to my computer. I still enjoy manually flipping records over on turntables, but mine's a piece of shit so there's not much point in bothering with it. CDs have no particular value to me in regards to manually playing one in an audio system, but I like them for the packaging.
Yes. I live 50 miles from the city where most concerts are hosted in my area and I usually don't have a spare car I can use to drive there because I don't own my own. Sometimes I'll go with a friend who has a car, other times I've had my dad take me (which might seem rather lame, but hey, if your middle-aged African-American dad walked around the house with a Deafheaven long-sleeve shirt on, you'd probably say it was worth it, too).

When did we start calling Sunn O))) black metal and how soon can we stop?

Last edited by MutantClannfear on Thu Oct 16, 2014 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OneSizeFitzpatrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 11:48 am 

I'm 21. I think I signed up to Metal Archives shortly after I realized Spirit of Metal had basically become a breeding site for spam bots, I frequented that site for a good maybe 2 years throughout high school and then migrated over here. It was a cool site, but there were definitely drawbacks to a site that was primarily in French, like the "foggot password" question underneath the little sign in bar.

I first started getting into metal from Headbanger's Ball right before it was laid to rest. In between Jamey Jahsta apathetically interviewing God Forbid and sub-par metalcore I'd occasionally catch some music videos for some of the first "real" metal bands I'd come to like. Mainly Goatwhore and Amon Amarth.
Also, there was a local FM station where basically anybody with a car and 2-4 hours of free time a week could go on the air and play basically anything they wanted on air, this included bands like Deicide, Inquisition, Satan's Host etc... This was how I was really introduced to the world of the underground. This guy (whom I still go to concerts with and shit today) would play all kinds of death, black, thrash, power, folk metal and that's what really expanded my knowledge and interest in the genre (especially since back then my only gateway to the internet was a Windows 98 computer with AOL dial up), I ended up getting a spot on said radio station for about a year (I think) before we got canned in the metal purges of '12 that basically stripped 88.3 of all it's metal-related programs to make way for more jam band bullshit.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 12:14 pm 

I think CardsOfWar must be the youngest I've seen so far. Born in 2000, damn, way to make me feel old. :D You sound like a good kid with good taste, at least, so kudos.

Only a matter of time now before we start having members who were not born when M-A launched (in 2002). :eek:
Exigence wrote:
I'm 28 and my first metal forum was Metal-Rules back in August 2001. M-A kinda started as an offshoot of MR back then

That's not really accurate at all. The only connection M-A has to M-R is that I was a member (and a moderator) there, and some of the earlier M-A mods also posted on M-R.
Why Iron maiden is there? It's very far to be metal than a lot of some metal band.

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 12:56 pm 

My first visit was...2004 methinks? I used the site for references when I was writing for the Metal Observer - I also think I'm about the median age here (25)....so I can't add much to the little personals here. But, damn 2000...that's sooooo young....

BAPTIST - drone, meditation, ambient - new song!

oogboog
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 1:27 pm 

I’m part of the younger forum users at 18. Sometimes I wished I was older though, because I would rather disassociate myself from my generation.

Back in late 2010 I was searching for metal sites so I could find good bands, and the main Archives site was among the top choices in Google, and found the forums through there.

How you got into metal? / What were the first metal or borderline metal bands that sucked you into the whole metal thing?

When I was 12, I first listened to hard rock bands like Disturbed, System of a Down, and Breaking Benjamin, but I wanted something heavier, since at the time i wanted something more brash. I remembered my 7th grade music teacher showed us his music collection and Goatwhore had caught everyone’s attention because of the name. I remember him saying it was metal band, so I used that as a starting point.

Wikipedia was the first site I used for metal bands, but I after using it for a while I didn't have an idea about where to start for bands, since Wikipedia doesn't help with that. As mentioned in my first answer, I wanted to find a metal site so that I could see which bands were good or not. The forums were the most useful, since some bands did get mentioned a lot, even in jest, so I had something to look for. Needless to say that within 2 years of looking through the Metal-Archives I was able to find so much more.

Did you manage to see a lot of popular metal bands live yet? or are you still planning to?

No. I don’t care that much about shows.

Do you care more about older or newer bands (do you prefer the bands from your own generation?)?

No preference. If it’s good, I’ll listen.

I tried to start a CD collection, but I realized that, with all of the bands that I wanted to listen to, it was going to be too expensive for me, so I haven’t really gone back to it.

How do you listen to music (rip to PC/iPod/CD or vinyl player - why that format)?

Since I was financially unable to have physical media, I've used the web browser version of Spotify and YouTube. I wasn't really able to have the time to listen to an entire CD.

Do you experience difficulties trying to catch bands live (permission parents/distance/car availability or driver's license/age restriction at the venue/ working hours that don't permit this/no time at all...) and how do you deal with that?

Yeah. My social anxiety is the main reason I don’t go out to shows. Even if I didn't, I have no friends who are interested in metal, and it’d be boring to go out alone. Now that I’m in college, I have so much work to do that I barely have time to travel. Combined with the money problem, I don’t much I can do, though.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 1:28 pm 

I wanted to get in touch with a community based around a shared interest, and metal is my main recreational interest. In real life I've got less than a handful of friends who are into metal, people who I rarely get to hang out with. Mostly I wanted to find people who I could discuss music with anytime, but also keep up with new releases.

Padre, I have sinned! The two bands that got me headed in the general direction of metal were Limp Bizkit and System of A Down, in that order. Yeah...

In the early days of my fandom I was strongly influenced by my peers in school. The first band with any real kind of metal cred I got into was Metallica, introduced to by my elementary school best friend (who also got me into the nu metal acts mentioned above), unfortunately starting with the wrong end of their discography. Later I was introduced to Die Apokalyptischen Reiter, who were my access to the folky side of extreme metal. They're the earliest bands I listened to that I still like today.

Maybe this is based on some degree of romanticizing the time before my time, but I think the metal-creating scene went through a metamorphosis at the beginning of my generation. The extremely fertile sociotopes that gave us profound classics such as Symphonies of Sickness or Far Away From the Sun did mostly stagnate, and haven't been replaced by anything comparable. Metal has become mostly ahistorical, a market rather than an artistic movement and the historic threads of the central metal subgenres have frayed beyond recognition. There's still good stuff out there, but it's usually isolated and landmark releases have become extremely rare and fail to achieve great impact.

Nevertheless I try to keep an open mind and not let my preconceived notions determine my interests. I listen to bands from all time periods in metal's history, and always look out for worthwhile new releases.

I download a lot of music because I want to get to know a band before I buy their albums / before I find a way to buy their albums for a fair price. Maybe I'm too cheap, but I think it works for me and it's not like I don't do my part to support the bands so fuck it. My tangible collection of metal records is around 150 CDs I think.

With my computer, through my computer speaker system. Because it's the most convenient, and I like to be able to track my listening habits. I rip my CDs to AAC/M4A. I fancy getting a more high quality sound system though. When I'm underway in public transit, which I am quite a lot, I use my phone and in-ears.

Living in the middle of Germany, access to metal shows was never a problem for me. I started attending them once I got into folk metal. I guess I've seen a lot of bands with some degree of popularity, but never anything as commercial as Metallica or System of A Down. I went to Wacken once and I've seen a couple of classic heavy metal bands life, such as Motörhead or Judas Priest. I don't have a driver's license, but through my university I have access to unlimited public transportation within my federal state, which is relatively rich with metal events I guess.

I'm 23 years old.
Personally, I prefer to know nothing of the esoteric hierarchy of MA and the profane rituals required to attain rank.

Last edited by inhumanist on Wed Oct 15, 2014 5:13 pm, edited 3 times in total.
mjollnir
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 1:55 pm 

Morrigan wrote:
I think CardsOfWar must be the youngest I've seen so far. Born in 2000, damn, way to make me feel old. :D

Don't worry Morrigan...just when you start to feel old, I appear. hahahaha

I'll be 49 in a couple of weeks. I'll answer all the other questions later this evening.

The Elitist Metalhead
The Elitist Metalhead on Facebook

Xlxlx
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 2:13 pm 

.....I'm not entirely sure. I believe I accidentally stumbled upon it while looking up a band's discography, but the details are fuzzy. I do remember, however, that I decided to stick around to improve my English, and this place has certainly helped with that, among other things.

-How did you get into metal? / What were the first metal or borderline metal bands that sucked you into the whole metal thing?
Black Sabbath. When I was a little kid, one of my dad's friends came to visit us, and brought a copy of Paranoid with him. I remember really, really liking the distorted noise that came from the CD player, but after that, I never heard it again (or anything like it, for that matter) until 2008. Cue the release of the first Iron Man movie, and the trailers for it blaring a strangely recognizable riff..... "Hey, I remember that", I thought. So I looked up the movie's soundtrack, and it all snowballed from there.

Before becoming one of the regulars here, I was a member of 3DJuegos, a video game forum of Spanish origins. After the aforementioned Black Sabbath incident, I joined one of the many user created groups. One based around metal and rock, of course. I also used Wikipedia, once in a while, but both of those channels were overridden once I discovered MA.

Due to living very near the ass end of the world, no, I haven't had the chance to see any notorious metal acts. Paul Di'Anno did come here some time ago, but I didn't bother and he doesn't even count.

Whether a band has been at it for decades or released its debut album a few days ago is of very little importance to me. Quality is the only factor that matters.

Yes, I'm an avid CD collector, though my purchases have been somewhat impeded during the last couple of years due to overly steep prices (thank you, Cristina!) and the aforementioned issue of my location. I will buy a release I like if I can both afford and find it, but otherwise, I'm not opposed to DL'ing.

See above.

I'm 19 years old, so age is not a problem, and there's a small undeground pub a short drive from where I live. However, I rarely visit the place, as most of the acts that go there are extremly crappy sixth rate garage bands. Other than that, I attend no live shows.
I wish I had a black hole and an infinite supply of B83 atomic bombs, each time letting the heat barely rub against all of you before sucking it back with a black hole so I could slowly nuke the previous page over and over again for all time.

Last edited by Xlxlx on Thu Oct 16, 2014 12:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
Erosion of Humanity
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 2:15 pm 

Damn born in 2000? That's crazy, I wish there had been a site like this around when I was that young, MA might not have even been a glimmer in the eye when I was 14. Granted it did launch shortly after but I didn't come to use it regularly until about three years ago. I'll take the survey later, but I'll start by saying I'm 27. So around the average age I guess.

Crick wrote:
Raw eggs tastier than semen? What horrid ooze-troll have you been blowing?

overtenmy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 3:27 pm 

I'm 32, I was born in '81.
I think I started visiting this site in 2004 to read reviews and look for different artists.
How you got into metal? / What were the first metal or borderline metal bands that sucked you into the whole metal thing?
Initially I started to like metal back in grade school when I started listening to Metallica. Then I really got into metal during high school after watching a skateboard video that featured the song "South of Heaven" by Slayer. So after that I started listening to Slayer and I started to delve deeper into the metal genre.
One of my friends introduced me to different metal bands. I used to reference The Metal Observer until that site went to crap. I mostly reference this site to find most of the stuff I listen to.
Most of the shows I go to are death metal shows. As far as well known bands I've seen Slayer live twice and Iron Maiden once. The Iron Maiden show had to be the best concert I've ever seen.
It doesn't matter to me. As long as it sounds good.
Yes, I buy CDs.
How do you listen to music (rip to pc/ipod/cd or vinyl player - why that format)?
For convenience I load my music onto my iPod.
I don't have difficulty seeing bands live.

JohnTheDrummer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:43 pm 

I am 25, will be 26 on the 26th of this month :)

I constantly browse the Metal-Archives page for discography and band info, saw there was a forum, decided to join. Don't really post here very much for the amount of time I've been here, but yeah.

My Mom is a big fan of glam metal/rock and everytime we would drive around she would have the Rock radio station on, back when it was good, so I would constantly be hearing bands like Judas Priest, Maiden, Rainbow, Scorpions, Metallica, White Zombie, etc etc etc. It just grew on me. Then when I started to get into it on my own I fell into the nu-metal bands, since they were big aroud the time I was growing up, so I was REALLY into the Slipknots, Papa Roachs, Disturbeds, bands like that. I remember when I bought my first Cannibal Corpse and Cradle of Filth albums, I thought they were just too extreme for me :lol:

Friends, TV, especially MTV when they actually played Music Videos, staying up late with friends and listening to "Metal Shop" on saturday nights. Didn't have reliable internet until I was in high school so I didn't have it as easy as most young'ns now a days :D

Many many many. Went to MDF back in 2012, plus my band has opened for numerous big name acts (Exodus, Decapitated, Marduk, 1349, Moonsorrow, etc etc etc) and we get a good amount of shows here in Seattle, so it isn't hard at all.

If a band is good then they are good. Shouldn't matter how many years they have/dont have under their belt.

CDs and only CDs. I hate only buying digital copies of stuff and only will if I have to. I don't care how easy or cheap it is, I like to have the physical copies in my hand to look at and show off.

Mainly CDs, but I do rip music to my computer and listen while I am cleaning house or something, also put them on my mp3 to listen while at work.

Not too much. Week night shows suck because I have to be up mildly early for work, but I still go out and just leave halfway through the headlining bands set unless its one that I absolutely have to see.
http://www.facebook.com/funeralageofficial

Dalla Nebbia
http://www.facebook.com/dallanebbiamusic
http://www.dallanebbia.bandcamp.com

Machine_Dead
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:52 pm 

JohnTheDrummer wrote:
I am 25, will be 26 on the 26th of this month :)

*high five* you're my birthdaybrother! 26 oct 1988, haha, awesome!

And since almost everyone now is answering these questions, I'll have to join in now aswell:

I think on some other board (around 2008-2009) people were referring to Metal Archives for their cd collection list. So through the main site I also discovered the forum. I found Metal Archives to be containing more detailed info than Wikipedia for metal bands, and you could easily jump from one band to another side project, to another ex-member, to another band, and it just keeps going! Joined the board in 2009.

Probably by myself (around 13 years old), there wasn't like an influential person in my life (I think I was probably the one who was influencing other people in school). But anyways it started of with the terrible TMF top 50 countdown on TV. I just kept watching those video's for no apparent reason, it was mostly all crappy pop and dance and techno and stuff..... Until somewhere in 2001 I saw some music video's of Linkin Park and System Of A Down. I instantly knew that was the type of stuff I needed to listen to, not sure if I called it metal back then, because I remember a weird compilation cd called Nu-Metal', and I was like; 'wtf is 'Nu-metal', for some reason I didn't get the American connection, so I would think it was a term used for all the new bands around that time, cause that's what 'Nu' means in dutch; 'Now'. Okay, anyways, pretty much got to know all the mainstream modern bands from that time; Korn, Drowning Pool, Slipknot, Metallica (with their alt metal album St. Anger) etc....

And before Youtube there was this video streaming service from Yahoo (Launch ?) that had like a very limited amount of interesting harder stuff. But it was very influential because i got to know some metalcore bands through that way and because of those bands I got used to the scream-ish style, and one thing led to the other from there I hopped on the melodic death train (Children Of Bodom, At The Gates, Dark Tranquillity, In Flames,....)
At The Same time there was also some program on TMF that focused on all the harder stuff (forgot the name), then there was the Metalzone program around midnight on MTV (discovered quite some extreme stuff on there; Slayer, Behemoth, Dimmu Borgir,... that really opened up my eyes o_0 ). That was the time (2004-2005 or so) when we still used the library to borrow metal cd's and rip them to the computer and to cd-r; Found some cool cd's there; Machine Head (The Burning Red), Slayer (God Hates Us All), Dimmu Borgir (Death Cult Armageddon), Deicide (Insineratehymn), etc.... Got used to extreme stuff around that time. There was this cool radio show called 'Whiplash' from 10pm til midnight that played all kinds of stuff from heavy-prog-power metal to death/thrash/melodic death/metalcore... From 2005 on started buying this metal magazine called 'Rock Tribune', which also helpd in discovering many more lesser known bands.... But I stopped after a year or so, not sure why, maybe i spent all money on live gigs or cd's possibly...

Most of the big titans I've pretty much seen live; Black Sabbath (only recently for first time), Maiden, Motorhead, Priest, Dio, Metallica, Anthrax, Slayer, Megadeth... Some even multiple times. I've been going to the Graspop festival since 2005, so you automatically see all the big veteran metal bands (except Metallica). Some veteran extreme bands that I still need to see live, but i'm doing well in scrapping bands must-see bands of my list. Every year I always see some veteran extreme bands that I can scrap off. This year for example; Necrophobic, Mayhem, Opeth, Cynic, Brutal Truth, Deceased, Death DTA (closest i could get to seeing some form of Death alive), Morgoth, W.A.S.P.,.... Some examples of bands that are active and that I still haven't seen live yet sadly enough: Deicide, Grave, Asphyx, Autopsy, Pestilence, Incantation, Malevolent Creation, Gorguts,... But I'm not really worrying, so no hurry, there is a time and place for everything....

At this moment it's probably the old ones a little bit more, but I try to follow a lot of lesser known bands aswell at the same time. But the classic extreme bands are priority at this moment to catch live and to buy cd's of. Obviously when I was younger I could only care about the mainstream stuff only, but after hanging around around on multiple boards I started to find about bands that have been around for way longer and that still are pretty important. So I started appreciating the older and less known bands step by step.

Occasionally yes. Only cd's. Don't feel like buying everything multiple times in different formats, I don't wanna be more broke then I already am, hehe..... I definitely have the plan to expand my collection (I think I have at least 200 cd's, can't remember the exact number)

On pc: downloads of music or through bandcamp and youtube. And I like playing a cd through my cd player just to hear the full package you know ;). I have an Ipod aswell since 2009 or so, only very occasionally I listen to it (need to change the playlist, because it feels dated :P). But it's mostly my brother that borrows it from me.
Well, I live close to a big city (Antwerp) where one of the most known venues is located for gigs. So I can say I'm located very comfortably here. I still don't have a driver's license so I depend on train or other people to get to a distant location. There's no age restriction here, so you can easily go to a thrash metal gig at 16 years old and drink all the beer you want without problem... Been going to shows since 2005, and I still haven't become music tired.... Obviously less frequently than when I was a teenager but, but still going steady ;)

Maquina_Muerte's Last.fm
The Hazard Zone

Last edited by Machine_Dead on Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:53 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Dudemanguy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 8:57 pm 

I am currently 20.

I don't even remember. I'm pretty sure this place was mentioned on some other forum somewhere. Something like that.

It's pretty generic, but it was Metallica for me. The first band I really got into was Alter Bridge (before they were popular actually :lol:), but I began to crave new material and ended up hearing Metallica's One on guitar hero and decided to check it out. Unexpect became my ticket into extreme metal later on after I heard "Chromatic Chimera" and couldn't get it out of my head.

Pretty much only the internet. I only personally knew a handful of people into metal, but I knew more than all of them. This site obviously being a big help.

Nope. I don't have time to go to live shows; they're always too far out of the way although there are a handful of bands I'd love to see live one day if luck permits.

I don't give a damn either way.

I purchase music, exclusively CDs as none of the other physical formats appeal to me. I don't have a superhuge collection like some people here (~200 CDs), but I'm proud of it. In my eyes, there's a lot of quality there and some stuff is definitely pretty rare.

I rip all my CDs to FLAC and listen to it with my computer through my audio setup which I'd like to think is pretty good. I rip to FLAC since it's lossless and lets me archive my CD collection exactly in digital format (in case something ever happens). For my portable player, I simply transcode my FLAC library to 192kpbs Vorbis. My portable player doesn't have the space for my collection in lossless, but lossy fits comfortably there. I use Vorbis because it's a much better and more efficient codec than mp3 and it preserves all my tags since it uses the same tags as FLAC. Ideally, I'd use Opus, but my portable player doesn't support.

I don't try to, but if I did, it'd be difficult since the majority of my time is sucked up by college and my studies.

StainedClass95
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:42 pm 

I'm 19, as is evident from my username.

How did I end up here?

I was looking up Judas Priest and this popped up.

How did I get into Metal and what bands?

As odd as this sounds, I got annoyed at Rolling Stones' 100 Greatest Artists List and thought I could do it better. The bands that clicked the strongest were Judas Priest and Rush and my taste has developed from there.

How have I learned about metal?

This site helped a great deal along with a little from wiki, a couple of relatives, and the Classic Metal Station on my TV(Sirius).

What is my concert past and future?

I've never been to a concert, and I don't think I'll be able to go to one anytime soon.

What's my generational preference?

My favorites are older, but they're somewhat spread out. Age itself has never been a concern for me in entertainment.

Do I purchase albums? If so, what formats? Do I have a collection?

I do buy albums occasionally, and they're all either digital or CD. I have a reasonable amount of albums but nothing massive.

How do I listen to music?

I either listen with some headphones, Sony, or I let it play through some small speakers. I've gotten to where I prefer headphones because I can pick up the details without the volume being as high.

Is concert-going difficult for me?

I don't have a vehicle, money, or time, so I'd say it's pretty much an impossibility.

Metantoine
The XVI, dominar to over 258714 subjects

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:55 pm 

24 years old, march 1990
I actually don't remember how I discovered the site but I became quite active in 2010 or late 2009, I also joined the chat, it definitely helped my English quite a lot

My dad is a big music and he had a big music collection so this definitely helped but he wasn't into metal, I managed to discover the classics with him and this opened my horizons. I owe everything to him, I guess. I discovered stuff like Radiohead, Nirvana, Tom Waits, Neil Young or Bob Dylan because of him. I got into Slipknot and SOAD after my short lived hip hop phase when I was a teen before discovering the classics like Megadeth and Iron Maiden. Opeth and In Flames got me into more "extreme" territories.

MA, I guess but review websites like Metal Reviews (lol, it's so shitty) and others. I read a shitload of stuff, when I'm interested in something, I explore things thoroughly.

-Did you manage to see a lot of popular metal bands live yet? or are you still planning to? combined with

Yeah, I've seen a lot of 'em except perhaps Motorhead (I'd like to) or Black Sabbath (no interest nowadays). Maiden twice, Priest recently, Slayer, Megadeth (x2). I do prefer smaller gigs and we have a shitload of them in Montréal. Seeing Manilla Road and Satan at the first Wings of Metal was a great experience. The bands I'd like to see the most are Slough Feg, Cult of Luna, Primordial or Solstafir. I actually don't have a licence but I can easily catch the Montréal metro system as I live near it. I went to some gigs when I was 17 or so but I really started going intensively in the last 3 years if I'm not mistaken. My parents were pretty permissive when I was young, thankfully.

I don't really care but I like to discover/review some fringe bands especially in the doom metal spectrum. I do check a lot of new stuff and I like to think I'm up to date with my metals. I get many promos and know what will be released and shit. I think many old stuff is overrated simply because it was in the Golden Age of metal.

I have a decent collection that's been stagnating for the last few years since I'm a broke student, I probably have around 800 CDs, 50 LPs and maybe 35 tapes (most tapes are second hand stuff, I like to hunt for these). When I have money to spend, it's either albums, gigs or beer, often combined together! If you don't purchase albums (or at least merch), you are (in the words of our old school staffer Uncolored), an enemy of metal!

I commute a lot so I couldn't live without my Ipod classic, when I'm home I listen to my CDs or what I download on my computer/ipod connected to my sound system.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm
Last.fm
Halberd (doom/death)

Back Stabbath
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:02 pm 

CardsOfWar wrote:
Rage is great. I don't find it plays very much metal.

Around 90-93 when I tuned into it around 2-3 AM it was pretty much Slayer, Carcass, Sepultura, Obituary, Napalm etc with excellent lashings of punk rock like DK's all though it. Then it was 90's tech like KLF toward morning.... fun times....

mjollnir
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 11:08 pm 

Started on AOL back in the mid 90s on a bunch of the metal bulletin boards. I also used to check out the BNR metal pages as they were the only metal info site on the net at the time. First joined Metal-Rules and then joined here in July, 2004.

My older brother used to play prog rock and proto metal Sabbath, Wishbone Ash, Zeppelin, Deep Purple, Uriah Heep, etc. I discovered Kiss (I agree with Quorthon about Kiss) then heard Judas Priest - Unleashed in the East when it came out and was instantly hooked on metal.

Too many to name here.

Saw Maiden with Di'Anno, Sabbath with Dio, King Diamond multiple times including the Abigail and THEM tours. Saw most of the more popular metal bands of today numerous times as well.

If it's truly metal and it's good, I like it...no matter if it's old or new.

Mostly digital these days.

See above. It's more convenient for me.

-Do you experience difficulties trying to catch bands live
Not having a car at the moment keeps me from catching any shows lately...plus my job has been quite demanding.

As I said, I will be 49 in a couple of weeks. Not sure if I'm the oldest active member or not.

The Elitist Metalhead
The Elitist Metalhead on Facebook

CF_Mono
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 11:27 pm 

I'm currently 20, but I've been using the site since I was 14. Been aware of it since probably at least 13. Needless to say I wasn't active on the forums until later.

1. Not entirely sure. In the hours of spare time you have as a freshman in highschool you're bound to get sucked into these sort of things. Used a lot of other resources for finding metal though, mainly youtube, back when it was still a good resource.

2. I always assume it's the same way everyone else did although it seems like it's never the case anymore. I started listening to dad rock, but the occasional exposure to say, Iron Maiden, Motorhead, metallica and Slayer turned me onto the genre.

3. Again, metal-archives, youtube, and -regrettably- /mu/ (I'm now under the impression nobody over the age of 16 can actually use the website that must not be named and feel like they have any dignity.)

4.Well, this never happens in Syracuse. It's almost exclusively punk here, and very, very small and underground. I suppose this has erased a lot of hopes about seeing huge concerts.

5. Tough one. At 14 it was definitely older, but since I've pretty much heard everything and decided what I like and don't like, there isn't much left to explore besides post-millenial bands.

6. Yes. I have CD's but not many. Most of my physical copies are local acts or small bands that tour through here. Everything else is digital.

7. Well I never have time to listen to music anymore. Scarcely use the ipod now. I try to get ahold of high quality or FLAC files, throw them in foobar, and just leave music playing on the computer while I do work or clean up or eat/cook/whatever.

8. No. When I was younger my parents didn't have much objection to my going out. Most venues here happen to be on my side of town or near campus, so they were never tough to get to.

TheStormIRide
Jesuscop

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 11:55 pm 

I find it quite interesting to get these little peaks into everyone's lives, so I might as well add one as well. I'm middle of the road, as far as age goes, as I turned 31 this year.

I joined up in the beginning of 2006. I started using the site back in about 2003 or so, as I found the database to be much larger than what I was using at the time (good old BNR Metal Pages). I never really had the itch to sign up for the forums or to be productive on the site until January of 2006, which was during my senior year of college. I guess I just had more time to kill between classes then.

I had a cousin that listened to a lot of popular metal back in the early 90's, like Metallica, Megadeth, Pantera, Helmet, Alice in Chains, etc. I liked some of the stuff, especially Helmet (considering "Meantime" was my first CD purchase ever), but I didn't start actively seeking new stuff until probably around 1995 or 1996. I met a kid at the beach who was into Manowar and Iron Maiden, among other things, which got me hooked. I had a phase where I was really into hardcore/metalcore (probably 1998-2001 or so), but I kept listening to a lot metal during that time.

I started, like I mentioned before using the BNR metal pages for everything before I stumbled onto M-A. I had two friends in Junior High and High School that were into metal, one into power metal and the other into thrash and melodic black metal, so I at least had someone real to talk to about music. After about 2002 or 2003, it was M-A for everything.

I've been to some decent shows in my time, but I haven't even dented the list of bands that I'd like to see. I'm proud to say I got to see Dio, Iron Maiden, Motorhead and Rush, as some of the larger acts. A ton of smaller bands throughout the years. Unfortunately, for metal shows, I have about 2 hour drive to Pittsburgh, 3 hour drive to Baltimore or 4 hour drive to Philadelphia, so only make a few shows a year.

I like bands from both. I have to say that there's something to be said for nostalgia, though. Hearing some of the classics from when I first started listening to metal always brings a smile to my face.

I have somewhere over 2000 CDs, around 100-200 LPs and a handful of tapes at the moment. I've been collecting for about fifteen years, so it starts to add up!

I usually rip my CDs and keep a bunch of albums on my phone, so I can listen to music at work. I have a lot of digital stuff too, from labels for review and whatnot. My favorite way to listen though, is my truck CD player. I still enjoy opening the CD and sitting in there for a while when the opening track is playing.

The only issues I have getting to shows is either work (I'm work 4:30PM to 12:30AM, which is when most shows are) and finding the time to drive there. It's tough with work and family commitments, but I still get to a few shows a year.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 1:30 am 

mjollnir wrote:
Don't worry Morrigan...just when you start to feel old, I appear. hahahaha

:D I knew I could count on you!
Why Iron maiden is there? It's very far to be metal than a lot of some metal band.

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:31 am 

The 2nd of August, 1990.

Probably because of my twin brother; we used to read reviews in around 2005/2004, as far as I remember. Didn't join the forums until later.

My earliest metal memories were seeing bands like Iron Maiden and Black Sabbath on Top of the Pops 2. After that I can remember hearing my neighbour playing Metallica's 'Enter Sandman' on his car stereo (obviously a good production for a car stereo) and it sounded quite intriguing. In 2001 I got the said Metallica album as well as Black Sabbath's debut. I was always interested in guitar music from a young age; I used to get annoyed that in the late 1990s I couldn't hear any wild, crazy guitar stuff on the radio... as it was mostly jangle-y Oasis-esque stuff.

Various magazines (crap like Metal Hammer, which occasionally featured sections that covered the careers of older, established bands "Buyers Guides"). Various books on metal, recommendations from bands in their "thanks" list and, when we had reasonable internet, websites like this and Rate Your Music.

Yeah, I've been lucky enough to see metal concerts and festivals in England, Scotland, Italy and Germany. Even though a lot of bands don't really bother with Northern tour dates you can still get down to London to see bands reasonably easily. A quick list would be that I've seen: Sabbath with Dio, Maiden twice, Motorhead 8 times, Bolt Thrower, Slayer, Jag Panzer, Autopsy, Manilla Road, Manowar, Saint Vitus twice, Sodom, Asphyx twice, Destruction, Angel Witch, Warlord, AC/DC, Anvil, Cathedral, Slough Feg, Solstice twice, Dark Quarterer, Primordial, Voivod, Immolation, Vader, Gorgoroth, Scorpions, Saxon, Master, Legend, Metal Church, Liege Lord, Medieval Steel, Aura Noir twice, Destroyer 666, Deceased, Atlantean Kodex twice, Flotsam and Jetsam and many more who I can't currently remember. So yeah, lots of gigs, and I hope to see many more.

Most of my music listening is from the 1980s, 1990s and 1970s. Maybe I'm a bit behind with the newer stuff, but, of course, I'm interested in plenty of new bands (mostly heavy metal, for whatever reason, which seems to be more interesting than modern extreme metal). Of course, the fact that there's a lot of old bands still releasing good stuff helps, too. :) I guess I'm a bit slow when it comes to checking out new stuff because I don't stream or download much (not that I'm opposed to the idea, I've just found myself doing it less and less).

Of course, if you like music and have some disposable income you should have a collection. Supporting the artists is great, but for me there's a great pleasure in having a big wall of albums to browse over and organise in a nerdy fashion. I mean, why would I spend hundreds of hundreds of hours listening to something and not even purchase it? According to RYM my collection is about 1,200 CDs and 150 vinyls. I trade regularly, too, which means I can get rid of the stuff I don't like very easily.

Since I live away from home and travel a lot, I can't really take my collection with me. So I mostly listen to music on my ipod. But when I'm at home it's great to listen to stuff on my stereo.

I don't drive so that stops me from getting to some gigs and I often work evenings, so it's not easy to catch week-night concerts. But if there's public transport/trains/planes/whatever I'm more than happy to make that journey.

Let's Trade in the Darkness of Hell! - updated for 2014!

yentass
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 11:15 am 

Right. So at age 27 I'm kinda towards the middle of the age group, so as such I can offer little of interest as far as this particular survey goes, but what the hell...

As far as the site itself goes - an acquaintance mentioned it, I checked it out, read some reviews, liked them, wanted a slice of the pie... and that's about it. Joining the forums was just an extension of that, and it came fairly late after. Can't recall any of it in more detail, given how long ago all that happened.

How you got into metal?
Can't really pinpoint that. Harder forms of rock (as played by Deep Purple, Uriah Heep etc.) were my jam pretty much since the cradle, however I did swerve quite steeply as far as my tastes in music go at some point, settling back on the "right" track only quite later when I discovered nu-metal, and things finally clicked some time later when some dude made me listen to a couple of Amorphis songs. Which phase of those mentioned contributed the most to me getting in into metal? Anyone's guess at this point.

Ooh, it was quite a cascade, really... I'll try to keep it short though, by jumping another few years into the future, after I discovered - and eventually got tired of - black metal and came back to doom metal. My main resource for discoveries in this genre was doom-metal.com - I was picking out bands with the names I deemed the coolest, and checking them out (loving every one of these). One day, some random dude posted about a brand new label he started on a local metal forum I was a member of, primarily focusing on doom metal. For a 16 year old me, with no means to buy stuff internationally and a very limited (as far as my interests go) selection of stuff available locally, this was a godsend, especially considering the fact that he actually had in stock a couple of my favorite albums at the time. So I got in touch, and became quite a constant customer since then - he was periodically sending out mailing lists pushing some of his new stuff, I was checking some of it out, buying some of it, rinse and repeat. That's the biggest channel of new knowledge I had to date, I reckon (and by the way, some of you might know the dude's label as Totalrust Music).

What were the first metal or borderline metal bands that sucked you into the whole metal thing?
Limp Bizkit, Linkin Park, Slipknot/Mushroomhead/Mudvayne, Amorphis. That's the sequence as I remember it.

Not really, mainly because the band's I'm mostly into aren't a part of what could be considered as "popular" as far as my understanding of the question goes.

I care for bands for their music, not their age. Also, I am not really sure what makes a band "older" or "newer" - Esoteric are at it for more than 20 years already, so one could consider them an older band, while another would consider them toddlers playing in the sand in light of the mileage of a band like Black Sabbath, for example.

Yes, I buy CDs, and digital when no CD version is available (that goes both for digital only and digital + vinyl releases).

Rip to iPod in a lossless format. Why that format? High mobility and convenience. I like to listen to music on the go, because, on one hand, I can't bring myself to dedicate some time of the day to just listening to music without being itching to do something else (but I gotta start doing it), but on the other hand, I can't play music while doing something else either, as I would start focusing on the music more than whatever I'm doing at the moment. Hence, the only activity that is not mentally involving enough to distract that I could think of is commute. That's why I prefer walking by foot, don't let the ones saying I'm just to lazy to get a driving licence fool you.

Do you or do you not (still) go to shows?
Nah. Not by choice though, it's just there aren't any that even remotely interest me lately at my location.

Not that I remember. Living in a byte-sized country does have its advantages, I can tell you that.
I know nothing of hair care, so bare with me.

Metal dudes, assemble in the shower!

aeternus1990
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 4:54 pm 

Born in late 1990.

Browsing this site since 2005, the reason was to find discographies of USPM bands. Then I understood that MA is the best site for metal-related information. The board also was the best metal-related forum at the time I've found it and it is still the best board ever (and will be!).

Before metal I was listening primarily to disco, old pop and radio hits. In the end of 2004, I've decided to give a listen to AC/DC and Accept (due to similarities of vocals), then Aerosmith, Deep Purple, Slade and ZZ Top. Accept was the heaviest band among 'em and I'd like it a lot for the heaviness. Then I've bought one reunion album from Iron Maiden, one from Judas Priest and one from Manowar. Later I got a suggestion for heavier bands - Pantera, Sepultura, Cannibal Corpse and Napalm Death. Since then I understood that I enjoying this kind of music a lot. I also listened to some System of a Down and H.I.M. those days but it was two-three songs of them, I didn't like their style of music and stopped listening 'em.

Not a single one in the country where I live.

Yes, but wish to see more of them.

Older bands first, newer - after I complete the main experience of older bands.

Yes, on CD, but don't want to collect a lot of CDs.

On iPod Shuffle II and PC. In headphones and MP3 format. Not into lossless and physical stuff - my ears don't hear a difference between a good MP3 rip and real CD.

-Do you experience difficulties trying to catch bands live (permission parents/distance/car availability or driver's license/age restriction at the venue/working hours that don't permit this/no time at all...) and how do you deal with that?

No difficulties. The main difficulty is when two different bands that I want to see live are playing in the same day and different stages :D Because of it I still didn't see The Black Dahlia Murder - they are always playing in Moscow when someone else are playing here too.

Last edited by Zodijackyl on Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:10 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Oops. Quote =/ edit. Fixed. and re-fixed with formatting!

CardsOfWar
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 6:24 pm 

Erosion of Humanity wrote:
Damn born in 2000? That's crazy, I wish there had been a site like this around when I was that young, MA might not have even been a glimmer in the eye when I was 14. Granted it did launch shortly after but I didn't come to use it regularly until about three years ago. I'll take the survey later, but I'll start by saying I'm 27. So around the average age I guess.

Yeah man, it's great. It's gotten to the point where I discover by far most of the music I listen to using MA. In fact, without it, I think it's likely that I wouldn't be listening to metal at all.(Except for that one Hammerfall album I torrented when I was 9) Even just hitting the 'random band
key can often yield some pretty interesting results...

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next