Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
TheStormIRide
Certified Poser

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 9:21 pm 

Just finished a 7.5k run this evening. Felt a lot better than I did on the same run three days ago! I just keep telling myself to stick with it.

Sonofabitch Thirdgeneration
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 3:08 am 

Poisonfume wrote:
I do wonder what kind of gym you go to if you're stronger than everyone at 20. Maybe one full of ladies like us?

Well yeah it's a cheap and very public place so there's quite many skinny bitches there but here's the funny part, not to brag or anything but I'm actually strong as fuck considering my age and size, I'm like 6'2'' and 195 and I bench reps with 265 and leg press reps with 1000 (I can also do bicep curls with 70 lb dumbbells) and the only guys who do better are those huge ass bodybuilders who are like twice my size :lol:
Sometimes I wonder if I'm really that strong or is everyone else just weak.

grauer_mausling
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 8:23 am 

@Sonofabitch: Woha, that's some serious weights you do :eek: :thumbsup: I'm about your size (maybe an inch smaller) and weight but bench way less.
Anyway, max weight isn't m y main goal and as poisonfume said "each to their own" - but: man, that are some serious weights, esp. the leg press. Congrats!

Just back from my sunday CrossFit session. After regular warming up with some nasty mountain climber units, the workout today was:

20 minutes AMRAP (as many rounds as possible) of:
10 pull ups
10 Burpees over the box (doing a burpee with a jump on a 50 cm,well, box followed by the push up)
20 sit-ups
20 air squats (body weight squats with arms held at shoulder height)

managed to do 5 rounds, totally wasted after those 20 minutes :hyper:

Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 2:22 pm 

haha always nice to hear some compliments, appreciate it.

LanceCriminal
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 9:49 am 

Finally getting time to venture back into a gym after a couple months of almost totally not going (The field has been hell on my body in the meantime...I've gone from almost 180 in Jan to about 159 now) and HOLY FUCK IT HURTS. I gotta ease back into this shit!

Poisonfume
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 11:15 pm 

LanceCriminal wrote:
Finally getting time to venture back into a gym after a couple months of almost totally not going (The field has been hell on my body in the meantime...I've gone from almost 180 in Jan to about 159 now) and HOLY FUCK IT HURTS. I gotta ease back into this shit!

But the pain hurts so good, brother. :P

soul_schizm
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 11:31 am 

Soldier Field 10 mile run is Saturday. I did my final training run this morning. It's my first time doing a competitive run.

My goal is to finish - not exactly lofty :)

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 12:10 pm 

10 miles are a great place to test yourself. I used to do around 5 a day every other day - but I've fallen off the wagon like a mother fucker (too much drink, methinks). If you can get past that first 4 miles and still feel it, you'll cruise the rest of the way. That first half is a bitch though, especially if you're paying attention to mile markers (spoiler - don't).

I used to run about a ~20 5k a day, bike 5 miles, and do weights - but the lifestyle caught up with me....ugh. Gotta get back. I'm skinny, relatively well cut, but ehhh, lungs've taken a beating.

Spoiler: show
║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 2:28 pm 

Totally, dude. Cigarettes will seriously cut your wind.

LanceCriminal
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 8:40 pm 

Poisonfume wrote:
LanceCriminal wrote:

But the pain hurts so good, brother. :P

Muscle pain, yeah, but not joint pain...I tried a set of heavy squats and it felt like I took a hammer to the kneecaps!

Marag
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 9:37 pm 

Take care to not bust your knees, joint pain is usually a bad sign

TheStormIRide
Certified Poser

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 9:58 pm 

Heavy squats are terrible for your knees. Heavy weight on anything involving your legs isn't really good for you, unless it's in moderation.

Do high rep, lower weight to ease your knees a bit. Only go big sporadically.

Poisonfume
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 10:45 pm 

Heavy squats shouldn't really hurt your knees unless you're using insane weight (theres equipment for that) or don't have proper form. Probably the latter.

LanceCriminal
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 6:51 am 

I get pretty bad knee, back, hip and ankle injuries just from doing what I do...pretty sure the culprit of this incident is the JWTC Endurance Course, my knees and ankles took a beating just getting twisted around all over the place during the stretcher carry portion :annoyed:

Meconium
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 8:18 am 

A couple months ago I had a revelatory moment and have really redoubled my efforts to get fit, coming at it from both diet and exercise. I had already been making efforts over the past few years to improve my diet after having my gallbladder removed, cutting out soda and a lot of candy and junk food, etc. More recent dietary changes have consisted of reducing sugar and carb intake and increasing protein and vegetables. I'm actually pretty good at this; I'm a good cook and adventurous eater so it's not hard to make pretty much anything taste delicious, or at least palatable. I just slip sometimes when I'm too lazy to make something (especially bad now with summer; turning on the stove is just so...hot). But if I can keep the fridge stocked with easy, healthy things, I do pretty good. If I'm feeling particularly lazy I'll just blend up a smoothie with plain yogurt, protein powder, some frozen fruit and sometimes spinach or whatever other vegetable seems appropriate (avocado is surprisingly good in a smoothie).

I did phase 1 of South Beach to detox from sugar and I think it's a great program for anyone who wants to cut the carb/sugar addiction. I felt so much better afterwards; when I'm not regularly consuming excessive refined carbs, I'm more alert, energetic, and my mood improves. Coincidentally I discovered that I also have wicked aim with projectiles.

Exercise has always been a challenge, I think because I've never really found a sport I like. I'm not really a "team" person and running just gets boring after a while. Recently I bit the bullet and hired a personal trainer through my university's gym--expensive, but totally worth it. We've been doing a lot of weight-lifting and I'm having a blast with it. Did my first deadlift the other day and I think I fell in love with the damn thing, it made me feel amazing and powerful, I don't even mind that it has hurt to walk for the past couple days due to muscle strain. I really want to push myself so I can get to deadlifting my own body weight, etc.

I don't think I realized how weak I was until I started training. But it's awesome to realize that my body has so much potential for strength if I just do the work to make it happen.

Poisonfume
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 11:26 am 

It's great to hear that you've started training and are keeping your diet in check! Keep it up.
All I have so say is no need to significantly decrease complex carb intake because that should be where you get the bulk of your energy from and it isn't detrimental to your body.

Meconium
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 11:55 am 

Poisonfume wrote:
All I have so say is no need to significantly decrease complex carb intake because that should be where you get the bulk of your energy from and it isn't detrimental to your body.

Right, I'm not avoiding carbs entirely, or even trying to, just trying to make better choices about where my carbs come from and making sure my diet is balanced instead of being, like, pizza 2x a day. Whole grains, vegetables, fruits, nuts & legumes, etc. instead of sugar and refined white flour products. (I typed this while eating a cookie made out of ground chickpeas with no flour or sugar...part of what keeps me motivated is trying offbeat recipes that are healthier than their alternatives.)

stickyshooZ
TO HAVE AND TO HOLD

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 3:22 pm 

Meconium wrote:
Poisonfume wrote:

Right, I'm not avoiding carbs entirely, or even trying to, just trying to make better choices about where my carbs come from and making sure my diet is balanced instead of being, like, pizza 2x a day. Whole grains, vegetables, fruits, nuts & legumes, etc. instead of sugar and refined white flour products. (I typed this while eating a cookie made out of ground chickpeas with no flour or sugar...part of what keeps me motivated is trying offbeat recipes that are healthier than their alternatives.)

That's pretty much how I've lost a lot of my excess weight. Instead of having breads, pasta, rice, I have lots of vegetables. Carbs in of themselves aren't bad, but starches should be avoided as much as possible, because they often contain so much energy that we never end up using, and it just gets stored as fat.

Exkretor wrote:
The new Sadus sounds like fucking wrestling music.

Horvat
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 6:09 am 

TheStormIRide wrote:
Heavy squats are terrible for your knees. Heavy weight on anything involving your legs isn't really good for you, unless it's in moderation.

Please stop spreading idiotic misinformation.

Bezerko
Vladimir Poopin

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 6:44 am 

Horvat wrote:
TheStormIRide wrote:

:lol: Are you seriously saying that placing extra load on the knee doesn't place it under extra stress?

Pro-tip Horvat: Just because your bro-science guru told you it's true, doesn't mean it is.

TheStormIRide
Certified Poser

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 8:17 am 

Horvat wrote:

Honestly? You've never heard of anyone seriously injuring themselves because they try to put too much weight on without proper form? It is by no means misinformaiton... If you want to blow your knees out, have at it, hoss.

caspian
Old Man Yells at Car Park

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 9:11 am 

Sonofabitch Thirdgeneration wrote:
Poisonfume wrote:
I do wonder what kind of gym you go to if you're stronger than everyone at 20. Maybe one full of ladies like us?

Well yeah it's a cheap and very public place so there's quite many skinny bitches there but here's the funny part, not to brag or anything but I'm actually strong as fuck considering my age and size, I'm like 6'2'' and 195 and I bench reps with 265 and leg press reps with 1000 (I can also do bicep curls with 70 lb dumbbells) and the only guys who do better are those huge ass bodybuilders who are like twice my size :lol:

How many reps at 265? Back when I was really into weights I had a max 3 rep of 130kg with bench press, which is about 285lb I think. 70lb bicep curls is pretty fucken good though (again depending on the amount of weights).. I'm inclined to say pics or it didn't happen. At my biggest I had no real problem doing 50lb curls 'til the cows come home but that was a few years ago. Well, it was early last year but then I got a gf/wife and stopped caring that much, haha. Anyway, I'm rather inclined to take up weights again and then have a lift off or something, :lol:

Re: fitness I've given up on weights and now basically swim for an hour every day. A lot more fun really. Ocean swimming, definitely where it's at. Compliments the surfing and bodyboarding, relaxing, enjoyable, tranquil, and with far less bro vibes then sitting at home lifting weights to the 3 M's (metallica/manowar/mastodon), I inherently feel like less of an asshole with the swimming really.

edit: height/weight back then was 6'3" and 230. Up to probably 250 now... being married man, plays havoc with your fitness...

https://strangercountry.bandcamp.com/al ... the-chebar new album! Power shoegaze? Dream-doom???

Horvat
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 10:07 am 

TheStormIRide wrote:
Honestly? You've never heard of anyone seriously injuring themselves because they try to put too much weight on without proper form? It is by no means misinformaiton... If you want to blow your knees out, have at it, hoss.

Uh, doing ANY lift without proper form can cause injury. That's common sense, you big dummy. Besides, I didn't say anything about improper technique, I was shooting down your idiotic blanket statement that "heavy weight on anything involving your legs isn't really good for you". Please go and tell powerlifters, Olympic weighlifters, and half of the developing world that they shouldn't squat 4+ days a week. Nerd.

Bezerko wrote:
:lol: Are you seriously saying that placing extra load on the knee doesn't place it under extra stress?

Pro-tip Horvat: Just because your bro-science guru told you it's true, doesn't mean it is.

Uh, placing load on ANYTHING places it under stress. That's kinda the point of lifting weights. What's with the braindead, common sense statements?

You cannot accuse me of broscience when you're the one making/defending the claim. Please cite some reputable scientific literature claiming squats (with proper form) are bad for your knees. I'll be waiting here with my dick in my hand.

Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 11:23 am 

caspian wrote:
How many reps at 265?

5 or 6 clean reps, depending on how I'm feeling. But I get stronger all the time, only a matter of time 'til I do it with the 285lb/130kg weight.

Besides gf/wife is not an excuse, I've been dating this girl for about 3 weeks now and that dont stop me from working out on regular basis like always before :wink:

caspian
Old Man Yells at Car Park

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 7:33 pm 

Well, the reason I did it was to attract girls in the first place :lol: Now I'm just trying not to become a huge fatty really. I never really enjoyed working out and it was generally just a way to pass an hour or so up north when I was mining.

https://strangercountry.bandcamp.com/al ... the-chebar new album! Power shoegaze? Dream-doom???

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 8:04 pm 

not to brag or anything but I'm actually strong as fuck considering my age and size, I'm like 6'2'' and 195 and I bench reps with 265 and leg press reps with 1000 (I can also do bicep curls with 70 lb dumbbells) and the only guys who do better are those huge ass bodybuilders who are like twice my size :lol:

o_O
That height/weight/strength ratio is... fucking insane. Do you have like 6% body fat? Are you sliced? And you're only 21? At what age did you hit puberty?

I'm not calling you out; I'm just trying to make sense of these almost-unbelievable ratios...
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

King_Hands
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 8:08 pm 

TheStormIRide wrote:
Horvat wrote:

That's stupid. I squat over 600 and never have any knee pain. Having shit form isn't implied at all by going heavy.

soul_schizm
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 12:52 am 

PhilosophicalFrog wrote:
10 miles are a great place to test yourself. I used to do around 5 a day every other day - but I've fallen off the wagon like a mother fucker (too much drink, methinks). If you can get past that first 4 miles and still feel it, you'll cruise the rest of the way. That first half is a bitch though, especially if you're paying attention to mile markers (spoiler - don't).

I used to run about a ~20 5k a day, bike 5 miles, and do weights - but the lifestyle caught up with me....ugh. Gotta get back. I'm skinny, relatively well cut, but ehhh, lungs've taken a beating.

Yeah, I made it. The last 1.5 miles or so were a bitch :)

It's true, once you can go 5 miles or so that's a big milestone. For me, everything pretty much aches after that, so bumping it up another couple miles is not as big a deal as it might seem. Then I just kept going up from there. My final training runs were 8.5 miles (once per week, the other runs were 5). So it makes sense that the final mile and a half were painful.

It was fun. 15,000 runners out there Saturday in Chicago. The elite guys were able to tackle it in 50 minutes, which to me is total insanity. I came in around 1:40. Slow, but I made it. That was my goal.

Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 6:37 pm 

darkeningday wrote:
not to brag or anything but I'm actually strong as fuck considering my age and size, I'm like 6'2'' and 195 and I bench reps with 265 and leg press reps with 1000 (I can also do bicep curls with 70 lb dumbbells) and the only guys who do better are those huge ass bodybuilders who are like twice my size :lol:

o_O
That height/weight/strength ratio is... fucking insane. Do you have like 6% body fat? Are you sliced? And you're only 21? At what age did you hit puberty?

I'm not calling you out; I'm just trying to make sense of these almost-unbelievable ratios...

haha I know it sounds crazy, truth be told I've never seen or met ANYONE quite like me yet...but on to the questions, my body fat was around 15% last time I got it measured (a month or 2 ago) but you cant really see it because of my muscles. Yeah I guess I am pretty sliced, not THAT sliced but yeah, all the muscles are fairly visible. I think I hit the pubes at around 13-14, I know I started weight training at 13 but didnt work out seriously until around 15-16, up to that point it was just me trying to get familiar with the whole weight training thing. Dunno, I guess it's just that I always focused more on gaining pure strength than mass because I thought it would be cooler to be stronger than I look instead of having huge muscles just for the show and no go...and as years passed by I just somehow became stronger than pretty much anyone else in my league. It's just something you dont believe until you see me at the gym :wink:

Speaking of gym, here's a funny little story about what happened last saturday: so I was at the gym and I was getting started with my work out routine and was about to do my first set with the wide-grip lat pulldown exercise, I do this one with 130 kg (285 lb) weight, so I'm beginning the first set and after 2 or 3 reps the handle suddenly bent in half. Yeah seriously, it's a fucking metal bar and then just like that it fucking bent in half. Dunno if it was just the years of strain since that handle had been around as long as I can remember (dont remember seeing any signs of rust in it) but anyway I just took that bent metal handle to the staff guy and he just told me I should lay off the proteins :lol:

Ancient_Sorrow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 1:36 pm 

Did some deadlifts for the first time ever today, with a 60kg (130lbs or so) barbell; I'm going to wait a while, see how sore I am tomorrow, and from that judge whether I did them properly or with poor form.

I feel a good glow from it though, so hopefully that's a good sign.

Poisonfume
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 2:27 pm 

Ancient_Sorrow wrote:
(...) see how sore I am tomorrow, and from that judge whether I did them properly or with poor form.

I feel a good glow from it though, so hopefully that's a good sign.

This has been said a million times so forgive me for being obvious, but soreness shouldn't be taken as the ultimate indicator of a successful workout (that would be progression in terms of weight lifted and, if going for hypertrophy, bodyweight gained, in my opinion).

Of course deadlifts will usually fuck you up, but I for one barely ever get sore in certain areas.

Ancient_Sorrow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 10:51 pm 

Quote:
This has been said a million times so forgive me for being obvious, but soreness shouldn't be taken as the ultimate indicator of a successful workout (that would be progression in terms of weight lifted and, if going for hypertrophy, bodyweight gained, in my opinion).

I'm working on the logic that, the less sore I am, the better, sort of on the presumption that if I have a sore-back tomorrow, I'll have been doing the lifts incorrectly.

Poisonfume
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 11:40 pm 

Well lots of soreness isnt bad either; as long as it is regular soreness rather than pain you should be good. It's normal to be real sore all over from deadlifts, provided it's beneficial pain (DOMS) rather than the detrimental kind. It's remarkable how our bodies can distinguish between the two and make us feel great or horrible accordingly.

Nameless_Rites
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:15 am 

I work out 3-5 times a week. I either run 3 miles or lift weights for about 45 minutes. With weights I do a three way split: back/biceps, chest/triceps, legs/shoulders. Core I work at home with a little stretchin and yoga. I'm 6'1", 190lbs, 12% bodyfat. Right now I'm trying to cut down a little bit but vacation's coming up so who knows how that'll turn out.

As long as you get a good split of weights and cardio and don't eat shitty food you'll stay healthy. I eat lots of meat, vegetable smoothies and digestive enhancing stuff like apple cider vinegar, greek yogurt, raw ginger, minced garlic and Sriracha. Anything with trans fats and enriched wheat flour is not worth eating. Apple cider vinegar is the God's nectar - read up and drink it.

Meconium
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:22 pm 

Yesterday I deadlifted 135. Not at bodyweight level yet, but kind of a big deal for me. Wooo.

BarryLamarBonds
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:21 pm 

We all got blitzed in the gym to prepare our bodies for tomorrow's feast, right?

For non-Americans, feast on lots of meat tomorrow anyway. For gains, of course.

Update: I went primal in July 2012. I was 275 pounds at 6'4". Dropped to 205 pounds by March, added another meal, and brought my weight to its current 223 pounds. I'm benching my weight x 1.5 again, and I've been improving my delt and back lifts to enhance my shoulder to waist taper.

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 1:28 pm 

What supplements do y'all take? I'm starting on creatine, and have never really done supplements at all before but now I want to get more serious about lifting.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 1:55 pm 

The first thing to do is to make sure you're eating enough. When a lot of people start they think they can substitute the supplements for meals day in and day out, it just doesn't work. Trust me, I tried it for a while because I was petrified of putting on extra fat. I did take creatine for a while...I honestly didn't notice much of a difference from that alone. I also took the protein powder and one of those amino acid supplements and multivitamins.
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

Ancient_Sorrow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 3:32 pm 

I've never really thought of the possibility of using anything other than slightly more chicken than I used to eat, with regards to supporting strength development - Got very tired of protein-powder lying around the place when I lived with a few body-building types, and sort of swore off using it myself.

On the other hand, I've been too busy to work out every day, which is my preferred frequency, but at the same time, somehow I'm lifting the heaviest I've ever managed at everything I do; 50Kg bench, 40Kg Overhead press, 24Kg barbell-curls and 15kg dumbbell concentration curls, or therabouts. I tend to try to do an abdominal-plank for 3 and a half minutes most days too - not sure if it helps, but it feels like it should.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 4:05 pm 

It isn't that surprising, working out every day doesn't give your body much time to recover. Laying off a bit may very well be the reason you are suddenly able to lift more.
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 58  Next