Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
aloof
avant-gardener

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 7:04 am 

one line review, no spoilers: I hated it. but at least it's over now.

two-line review, sideways spoilers:
Spoiler: show
JJ tried to cram so many references and returns from the original trilogy that's ridiculous... characters come back, species, scenes are recreated, lines are repeated. the only thing not included in this package deal is Leia's golden bikini.

some serious spoilers, click only if you don't care or have seen it:
characters die and they come back. more than once. coupled with the "Hey kid" line and others, it's basically a mashup of Lost and Star Wars. was glad when it was over.

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 2:46 pm 

Even a lot worse than I was expecting it to be. Not even fun, really. Just as bad as The Last Jedi but in a more brainless, clunky, eye-rolling way. Now that it's all over I find it incredible how badly Disney fucked this up. I honestly can't decide which trilogy is the bigger disaster between the prequels and the sequels.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 3:25 pm 

Prequels at least gave us content that built off of those world-building ideas Lucas created. We got KOTOR 1 and 2 out of it, which is infinitely better than what has come from Disney's handling of it. Disney thoroughly screwed this up.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Unorthodox
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 5:20 pm 

I liked the prequels, they were fun, and since I was like 6 when Episode I dropped I was at the right age to enjoy them. Probably won't watch this last one, no point.

OzzyApu wrote:
We got KOTOR 1 and 2 out of it, which is infinitely better than what has come from Disney's handling of it.

I would love to see a trilogy based on KOTOR. Sweet Jesus that would be marvelous.

LycanthropeMoon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 12:31 am 

One of my favorite Youtubers, Jenny Nicholson, has been ripping on it on Twitter since seeing it. I mean, I disagree with her every once in a while (see: her "Joker" video). Other Youtube reviewers I enjoy also don't seem particularly happy with it, not to mention the middling reviews from professional critics. I genuinely can't decide if I should go see this in theaters due to the overwhelmingly negative reactions I'm seeing, and I sat through every single SW movie since "The Phantom Menace" in theaters, and I haven't enjoyed all of them necessarily. It seems to alienate all ends of the SW "fandom" (prequel defenders, TLJ defenders, OT fanboys) - I'm under the impression they severely fucked up with this one.

Maybe I'll just wait until I can Redbox it for like $2.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 7:29 am 

OzzyApu wrote:
Prequels at least gave us content that built off of those world-building ideas Lucas created. We got KOTOR 1 and 2 out of it, which is infinitely better than what has come from Disney's handling of it. Disney thoroughly screwed this up.

Yep and two Clone Wars series, one very good but not so successful, one inconsistent but mostly pretty fun and very successful.

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

UtUmNo1
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 9:11 am 

Mate it’s a good film. Yes there are some problems but I reckon JJ unfucked the story as well as could be imagined after The Last Jedi.

Go see it and enjoy the good bits and not focus on the not so good.

Next people will be picking on The Empire Strikes Back or Fellowship of the Ring...

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 9:25 am 

UtUmNo1 wrote:
Next people will be picking on The Empire Strikes Back or Fellowship of the Ring...

Says a lot about the quality of the movie that if people dislike it you must blame them for it. "You only don't like it because you don't like movies at all!" Yeah...

I've seen a lot of that on Facebook already as well. People can't seem to say they enjoyed the film without pulling that strawman that everyone who didn't enjoy it must have planned to not enjoy it or something or deliberately lies about not enjoying it.

And that's why I'm not interested in seeing the movie. If it became impossible to enjoy a Star Wars movie without immediately lashing out at others for it like a reflex it really shows how toxic the whole culture around Star Wars has become and for myself I think it's best to leave this entire franchise alone until people stop acting like nutcakes about it. I plan on watching it on December 20th, 2021, two years after release, after everybody stopped caring about it.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 10:19 am 

This is the only one to really feel like a Disney movie in a very lame way. Everything about this one was so lame, safe and agreeable in a way you could show your grandma. They had to do this though, because a series this big can't really do anything noteworthy or even remotely artistic. So it was kinda inevitable.

The dialogue was super weak, with every line being a stock action movie cliche delivered in a loud declarative manner, rather than like any real conversation. The story was a lot of bland cliches. Having Rey turn out to be related to Palpatine felt like some serious fanfiction-grade bullshit. All of the story choices could have been good if the movie felt like it had teeth, but it's just like cotton candy, no substance at all.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 1:52 pm 

Aaaaand I'm not the only one staying home. Weakest domestic opening day of the trilogy, $14 million less than TLJ, $29 million less than TFA.

aloof
avant-gardener

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 6:49 pm 

I'm glad. Disney bought the hen that lays the golden eggs and managed to make it lay copper instead. it's hard to imagine them making a loss out of anything with the SW logo on it, but I'm sure there's a lot of people in the Disney offices s**tting bricks over those figures right now. I'm guessing JJ twat might not be too pleased either. sometimes you really reap what you sow.

MaleficDevilry
Anointer of the Sick

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 7:24 pm 

When I read who was being brought back as the "big bad guy" I knew I would be staying home. Cliche, and lame.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 7:24 pm 

Uhhhh guys it's still wiping the floor at the box office, don't let your hate cloud your judgement. Its opening day was the 8th largest take in American history and it's on track to pull $190 million in its first week domestically. What's surprising is how well it's holding up against a major competitor like Jumanji, something none of the other trilogy movies dealt with.

Solo was the "office brick shitting" moment. For this one the Disney offices are filled with cuban cigars being lit with $100 bills as usual.

Haven't seen the film yet and might not, but a healthy dose of reality never hurt anyone.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

Trashy_Rambo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 8:08 pm 

Arguably the biggest plot point of the film (Palpaltine being alive) shits all over the original trilogy by rendering Vader's sacrifice and redemption totally meaningless. On that basis alone I refuse to watch it.

Reid
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 8:58 pm 

Been a big Star Wars fan since I was 4 years old, and-- I really did not like this movie. Pretty close to outright hating it.

Spoiler-free thoughts: it really seems like JJ tried to ignore both the major plot points and general themes of TLJ--in fact, aside from the fate of some characters like Luke, it almost feels like this movie could've immediately followed TFA. The first half has insanely rushed pacing and feels like a video game. The last half is basically a soft remake of ROTJ, albeit vastly more soulless. Spoiler-ridden thoughts below.

THE BAD:
Okay, so Palpatine had a son who ended up being completely normal and not indoctrinated to the dark side/Empire? Really? Everything about Palpatine in this movie was insanely lazy and contrived. He *checks notes* somehow survives falling down the Death Star exhaust shaft in ROTJ (thereby rendering Anakin bringing balance to the force moot), has legions of cultists who *checks notes* manage to produce a fleet of Star Destroyers with each one carrying a literal Death Star cannon. What. The. Fuck. This is carbon-copied from the absolute worst dregs of the old EU. Of course they destroy a planet with said Death Star cannon and we don't care. Why should we?

Of course Rey is Palpatine's granddaughter. Nothing matters anymore.

The "find the Sith wayfinder" plot was really poorly-written, as each prior victory is rendered meaningless by the subsequent plot development. Kylo Ren crushes the other of the two wayfinders? That's okay, Rey can just use the one in his TIE fighter. And great, the unicycle droid already knows where the location of Palpatine's planet is. Awesome. It really feels like the writers were just spinning their wheels, trying to kill time.

I'm not entirely against Palpatine coming back in some fashion, but the way they introduced him was so ham-fisted. "The dead speak!" Haha fuck you. We're just going to have him pop up in the first five minutes without explaining anything. Either before or after this part.

There are so many "what? I can't believe they actually killed that character!" fakeouts. Chewie. Rey. Kylo Ren (twice!). Nothing matters.

Old characters show up just for nostalgia's sake. Lando didn't need to be there. Why was he on that one desert planet anyway? Doesn't matter.

I literally laughed out loud when General Hux spontaneously blurted out "I'M tHe SpY." Really hilarious stuff.

The Knights of Ren were pointless. Basically just more mooks. Why did they fight Kylo/Ben Solo at the end? Presumably he was still technically their leader? I don't know. Nothing matters.

There's a lot more that I can't think of at the moment.

THE GOOD:
Honestly, I thought the continuation of the "force link" plot device from TLJ was mostly well-done, especially at the end with the saber-switching. Acting, especially from Adam Driver and the main trio, was pretty good. That's about all I can think of.

I am very much a fan of TLJ. I still think it's a good movie and holds up on re-watch. It didn't do a great job as acting as a bridge to any third movie, though, and now that the sequel trilogy is completed it's hard not too feel that all of this is just so extraneous. Yeah, the prequels aren't good, but overall episodes I-VI give you a nice sense of the rise and fall of Anakin Skywalker and tie up his story thread very well. The sequels come across like a really weird coda. Pretty disappointed overall.

Post_Human_Shadows
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 9:06 pm 

The negative reviews and deluge of disappointment are very entertaining to me. I mean, who came to see this with high expectations?? Lol? Or even middling expectations? (Excepting those who haven’t seen the rest)

Of course this is going to still make money, but only because of brand name. Big brand garbage sells.

They’ll be rich off the next crappy trilogy coming sometime in the upcoming decade too.

theposega
Mezla

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2019 1:29 am 

Reid wrote:
THE BAD:
Okay, so Palpatine had a son who ended up being completely normal and not indoctrinated to the dark side/Empire? Really? Everything about Palpatine in this movie was insanely lazy and contrived. He *checks notes* somehow survives falling down the Death Star exhaust shaft in ROTJ (thereby rendering Anakin bringing balance to the force moot), has legions of cultists who *checks notes* manage to produce a fleet of Star Destroyers with each one carrying a literal Death Star cannon. What. The. Fuck. This is carbon-copied from the absolute worst dregs of the old EU. Of course they destroy a planet with said Death Star cannon and we don't care. Why should we?

Of course Rey is Palpatine's granddaughter. Nothing matters anymore.

The "find the Sith wayfinder" plot was really poorly-written, as each prior victory is rendered meaningless by the subsequent plot development. Kylo Ren crushes the other of the two wayfinders? That's okay, Rey can just use the one in his TIE fighter. And great, the unicycle droid already knows where the location of Palpatine's planet is. Awesome. It really feels like the writers were just spinning their wheels, trying to kill time.

I'm not entirely against Palpatine coming back in some fashion, but the way they introduced him was so ham-fisted. "The dead speak!" Haha fuck you. We're just going to have him pop up in the first five minutes without explaining anything. Either before or after this part.

There are so many "what? I can't believe they actually killed that character!" fakeouts. Chewie. Rey. Kylo Ren (twice!). Nothing matters.

Old characters show up just for nostalgia's sake. Lando didn't need to be there. Why was he on that one desert planet anyway? Doesn't matter.

I literally laughed out loud when General Hux spontaneously blurted out "I'M tHe SpY." Really hilarious stuff.

The Knights of Ren were pointless. Basically just more mooks. Why did they fight Kylo/Ben Solo at the end? Presumably he was still technically their leader? I don't know. Nothing matters.

There's a lot more that I can't think of at the moment.

THE GOOD:
Honestly, I thought the continuation of the "force link" plot device from TLJ was mostly well-done, especially at the end with the saber-switching. Acting, especially from Adam Driver and the main trio, was pretty good. That's about all I can think of.

Basically this but also

how the fuck do they hammer the "don't be afraid of what you are" theme so hard only to completely ignore it at the end? rey's a palpatine, and should've said her name was palpatine not fucking skywalker.

chewie getting the medal he didn't in a new hope was also just palm-thru-face bad and almost degrading

anyways yeah movie was bad, and i've enjoyed every disneywars so far to some extent or another.

alexo666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2019 6:46 pm 

Yeah this movie fucking SUCKS. Only Attack is worse (and that might be arguably).

People on here pretty much covered the random plot that just feels like the writing of the final season of GOT, and the pacing is god awful.

This is the first SW movie where the score sucked. The compositions seemed hapahazardly thrown in at certain scenes where they absolutely did not fit. Even the prequels music was on fucking point.

Shame too. I think TFA and TLJ were solidy good popcorn movies. This just deflated me.

Last FM

insanewayne253
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 1:05 am 

....and this is why I despise the Star Wars community. Satan forbid they try something a little different (TLJ) only for fans (and a bunch of alt-right anti feminist assholes) bitching and then boycotting Solo (not realizing that boycotting Solo pretty much shat on the chance of an Obi Wan movie happening) Then when Episode 9 comes out and at least tries to give the fans quite a bit of what they want, people still bitch. No wonder George Lucas said fuck it I’m done 10 years ago. There’s just no pleasing everyone.

/rant and mic drop

Unorthodox
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 1:49 am 

insanewayne253 wrote:
....and this is why I despise the Star Wars community. Satan forbid they try something a little different (TLJ) only for fans (and a bunch of alt-right anti feminist assholes) bitching and then boycotting Solo (not realizing that boycotting Solo pretty much shat on the chance of an Obi Wan movie happening) Then when Episode 9 comes out and at least tries to give the fans quite a bit of what they want, people still bitch. No wonder George Lucas said fuck it I’m done 10 years ago. There’s just no pleasing everyone.

/rant and mic drop

Star Wars should've stopped with Return of the Jedi. It was certainly unique back then, and while I do like the prequels, they didn't really add anything novel to science fiction movies like the original three did. People have been bitching about new Star Wars films since Episode One because they want the same feeling they got seeing the first three. There's nothing logical about it, it's entirely emotional. People want to recreate their first high, basically. That's why Episode IV-VI are seen as acceptable even when they had a ton of cheesy dialogue and mediocre storytelling.

I still would love a KOTOR trilogy, that'd be fun. And yeah, I wasn't a fan on TLJ, so I'll probably pass on this one. Why waste your time on this when Netflix has 10x better science fiction?

~Guest 361478
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 5:16 am 

My favourite nerd-theory on why these movies are so poor ?

Finn was meant to be the main character - stormtrooper-turns-Jedi-confusion-self-discovery-badass story arc. Instead, someone at Disney remembered that emotionally stunted posh British girls are the current fashion (Lily Collins, Emma Watson, Emilia Clarke, Lily James, and so on) - and so inflicted Daisy Ridley and the whole Rey arc on top of what would likely have been a decent story.

Watching the first of the new trilogy (the New Hope knock-off) it was hard not to wonder exactly which expensive finishing school Rey had gone to for her accent, deportment, and general silver-spoonery. On her desert planet. As an oprhan-urchin.

Rogue One is faaaaaar superior, and does show that there's life there, given a decent writer and some decent actors.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 7:03 am 

insanewayne253 wrote:

/rant and mic drop

Yeah it's like Metallica in the last 25 years, they try so many different ways of sucking and the stupid fans never like it as much as they did when they didn't suck. Fuck fans.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 8:53 am 

insanewayne253 wrote:

/rant and mic drop

I'm right there with you; I liked most of the other ones and thought TLJ was a killer movie in particular. And I've been saying the same stuff about fans, they're mostly a bunch of whiners.

But no, for real, this movie is not good.

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 12:46 pm 

Huh. Maybe I was in a forgiving mood today but I thought it was fine? Nothing more nothing less, and the friends I was with agree for the most part. Super simple story, but they went through it with bullet train speed. Those two and a half hours went by incredibly fast for me, and all of it looked amazing. TLJ was much better though, I agree with that. A bit more risk would have helped a lot. Still miles above any of the prequels. No doubt about that. Edit: Ok maybe not miles. Couple meters. Maybe I'll grow to dislike it more as time goes on because there are problems with it, but I enjoyed it while it was on.

They should have killed Chewy for real instead of pulling off that lame switch. Give me some real hero setbacks dammit.

Alright double edit: The more I think about the movie the more my initial enjoyment of it is fading.

Last edited by henkkjelle on Mon Dec 23, 2019 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Guest 454771
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 2:48 pm 

Keeping track of the thread so far:

Arguments that Rise of Skywalker is bad: plot holes, nonsense, bad music, bad acting, overuse of nostalgia, lack of creativity, doesn't fit with Last Jedi.

Arguments that Rise of Skywalker is good: force link is cool, Adam Driver is a professional actor, everyone who doesn't like it has personality flaws.

Well, this could go either way at this point.

insanewayne253
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2019 2:58 am 

droneriot wrote:
insanewayne253 wrote:

/rant and mic drop

Yeah it's like Metallica in the last 25 years, they try so many different ways of sucking and the stupid fans never like it as much as they did when they didn't suck. Fuck fans.

More like fuck toxic fans. Metallica to me were pretty mediocre even in their heyday. Bands like Slayer were smoking them, not to mention much of the German thrash (your Kreators, Sodoms, and Destructions) were already underway and were smoking Metallica at that point.

Another analogy I thought of was the Morbid Angel analogy, they tried doing something different with Illud Divinum Insanus only for massive fan backlash, then played it safe with Kingdoms Disdained and people still got pissed.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2019 6:40 am 

insanewayne253 wrote:
Another analogy I thought of was the Morbid Angel analogy, they tried doing something different with Illud Divinum Insanus only for massive fan backlash, then played it safe with Kingdoms Disdained and people still got pissed.

Yeah maybe it's less about what genre you play and more about what effort you put into it.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2019 3:43 pm 

Trashy_Rambo wrote:
Arguably the biggest plot point of the film (Palpaltine being alive) shits all over the original trilogy by rendering Vader's sacrifice and redemption totally meaningless. On that basis alone I refuse to watch it.

Reid wrote:
Been a big Star Wars fan since I was 4 years old, and-- I really did not like this movie. Pretty close to outright hating it. [snip]

Agreed with both of you.

The more I think about this movie, the more I hate it. Everything about it is fucking stupid. It's GoT S8 level of stupidity in terms of plot holes, nonsense, mischaracterizations, etc.

The movie is creatively bankrupt and just repeats previous story beats in an almost identical fashion:

- Planets blowing up, again (and we care less and less of course).
- Kylo redeems himself Vader-style at the last moment and of course all is forgiven.
- Luke being Vader's son is a cool plot twist!!, so of course we have to repeat that with Rey (nevermind Rian Johnson saying "fuck all that", gotta have that magic blood!).
- Rey vs Darth Rey = Luke fighting Vader-as-himself in ESB
- Secret hidden planet no one in the galaxy knew about, coordinates hidden on MacGuffin = literally the premise of TFA (which was stupid back then too, gotta love that double down from JJ)
- Poe = discount Solo
- Palpatine = ...well, we don't have any ideas of how to make a villain as cool as Palpatine so let's just literally bring him back!

And that's not counting the rest of the fanservice/reference spam with Lando, Ewoks, the memory of Han Solo, etc. As for everything else... The whole dagger MacGuffin thing was idiotic in the extreme and made zero sense. The "warp speed jumping" at the start of the movie made even less sense. It was just "look at how cool this is! Isn't it cool? PLEASE BE EXCITED"

Someone on Era summarized it better than I could so I'll just paste it here:

Ochi is a "Jedi hunter"/Sith loyalist who Sheev, who must have been alive since at least 15 ABY or so, sent out to capture his granddaughter. He found Rey's parents on Jakku but they sold (!!) their daughter to Unkar Plutt to protect her, then he captured them and took off in his ship (even though Rey was standing RIGHT THERE YELLING AT THE SHIP TO COME BACK). When he couldn't get the parents to speak about Rey's whereabouts, he killed them with his ceremonial dagger, which he had specifically carved to visually demonstrate the location of Sheev's Wayfinder within the wreckage of the Death Star if you hold the dagger up at a certain angle and stand on a certain spot of land. For some reason. He also inscribed on the dagger in the Sith runes the coordinates to find the DSII pieces. He then went to Pasaana, for some reason, and Luke and Lando were chasing him presumably because he's a Jedi hunter and he knew the way to Exegol, which they wanted to find for reasons, but he died when he stepped into quicksand outside his parked ship and got eaten by a snake.

Even Palpatine's plan was stupid.
If he wanted Rey to strike him down so he could enter her mind and control her as some supreme Sith Lord, why even tell her his intention, which would make her hesitate? If he had said nothing, she would have struck him down in a rage and he would have won...

So of course she refuses, so... he starts killing her friends with his super-OP Sith lightning. Okay. That's not a moral ultimatum that Rey is meant to struggle with, that's just... overpowering your foe with force. So, he's winning no matter what, aight. Except... he stops attacking the ships, and starts attacking Rey for some reason. Even though he doesn't need to because she's powerless to stop him from going all Zeus on her friends and if she attacks him she also loses because "mwahaha Sith magic". But now that he attacks her directly she can just defend herself and AH-HA SHE HAS TWO LIGHTSABERS, didn't see that coming huh Palpy? So.... he gets melted by his own lightning and loses.

Again. Like.... bruh just stop using the lightning. Just... stop. Are you a Force Lightning addict? Do you need help? Is it like incontinence but with Force Lightning instead of a bladder?

I award this movie 8 :durr: out of Episode 2s.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2019 5:33 pm 

Yeah I think my brain must have been overwhelmed by the sheer amount of "oh that's pretty cool I guess" moments that came and went at record pace, because this movie does not hold up to scrutiny at all when you, well, think. The only parts that felt like a real movie were the Rey/Kylo scenes. They should have focused on that hardcore, but it was buried beneath an onslaught of meaningless fluff.

kybernetic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2019 2:06 am 

Unorthodox wrote:
I would love to see a trilogy based on KOTOR. Sweet Jesus that would be marvelous.

Yeah I agree, but as long as the Disney people stayed out and Marvel Studios did it, would it be marvelous.

As for Ep 9, it was a mixed bag as I expected. I liked some things, hated other things. I think one of the biggest issues is that it was trying to cram two films worth of material into one film. It wasn't a total failure, but definitely not good. It was mostly in one ear and out the other, and I haven't really thought about it since seeing it. That's not a good sign usually for a film.

It was essentially trying to destroy what Rian did and build back up again. The rebuilding of Kylo's helmet pretty much blatantly gave an f you to Rian.

Twisted_Psychology
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 10:42 am 

I saw it yesterday. It's a mess but I still liked it more than the prequels. At this point, I just wonder what this trilogy would've been like if it had been allowed to evolve naturally without having to worry about fan expectations. I'm bracing myself for when people rethink their attitudes on The Last Jedi; The Rise of Skywalker certainly got me to appreciate it more than I already had.

PvtNinjer
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 3:20 pm 

insanewayne253 wrote:

/rant and mic drop

This is the type of shit that has really tired me on the whole Star Wars thing (same thing with superhero movies). (I guess Star Wars has always been guilty of this) but it really just epitomizes the corporate mass media franchise as identity thing that just totally weirds/grosses me out. When people start talking about fucking Star Wars movies in terms of morality or getting defensive about needing to support a billion dollar corporation so they can get the next star wars fix. It's a fucking kids movie man. People need to get a fucking grip. Oh no, we won't get an Obi Wan movie! lmao

Rogue One was the only good one out the bunch IMO.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 6:43 pm 

I mean, aren't "we" getting a fucking Obi-wan TV show? Rise of Skywalker made $500 million in its first goddamn week, Star Wars movies will outlast the ozone layer, y'all can calm down now (or get riled up about a rich company making expensive movies).
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

~Guest 454771
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 7:06 pm 

Hollywood should quit making blockbusters and stick to making movies about animals playing sports.

lloyd93
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 2:13 pm 

Disney ruined Star Wars.
Mostly watching for Daisy Ridley only at this point, because I am a guy...

Chinese_Whispers
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 12:12 am 

I was just happy to go with whatever they were going to throw out as far as storyline was concerned (and kinda expected them to take back some of the revelations of the previous film). Basically I was just trying to approach it as 5 year old me - I just wanted some cool visuals, a fantastical adventure, and a happy ending. I was not really looking for anything that was pushing boundaries or overly intellectual. And for the most part it worked for me. Sometimes I just want to be (mindlessly) entertained.

Oxenkiller
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 2:29 am 

I liked it better than I thought I would. Was it "perfect?" Well, probably not, but the thing is, I was disappointed with the previous installment, "The Last Jedi." This movie was a lot better than "The Last Jedi." By a long shot. Probably the main thing I would criticize with it is it doesn't really pick up where "The Last Jedi" ends; there isn't quite the same continuity between the films. And I'm not even sure I'd call this a flaw; if you were to watch the movies in chronological order you could almost skip "The Last Jedi" and see this one, and I don't think you would miss much if you did. I thought the action and the story line were generally good, and it was a good conclusion to the series. Could it have been better? well maybe. I dunno, I didnt think it was as bad as a lot of people were saying it would be.

~Guest 285196
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 3:15 pm 

TFA: JJ going full on nostalgia, setting up characters and plot points:
TLJ: Rian does not like those, so he sets much of it aside (Rey's parents, Snoke etc) and sets up his own themes and idea.
TRoS: JJ doesn't like Rian's setup so he undoes many of the things that Rian set up.

I mean, I think it's obvious that there was no overarching plan with these movies. They needed someone like Kevin Feige, who was a producer that oversaw all of the MCU movies. Say what you will about the prequels, they were the product of George Lucas' mind, and he has a vision for how they should play out.

I didn't like The Last Jedi, but I respected Rian Johnson for trying something new and giving a different take on this mythology and story. Maybe it would have been better if he directed all three.

It's weird. I spent my entire childhood and teenage years consuming Star Wars. I watched The Phantom Menace until the VHS tape worn down and the tape was cut off. I could recite Revenge of the Sith line by line, and I watched it so many times on DVD. These sequels I have only watched one time each, at the movie theatres. The actors are great, but they just don't have that magic anymore.

~Guest 454771
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 7:05 pm 

Yeah, each movie undermines the previous one. Which just says they don't matter to the people making them. They can't even get the people who are literally being paid to make these movies, whose job is literally to care about them, to care about them. This is Star Wars, the franchise which inspires weird and creepy devotion in millions! Amazing!

GTog
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 11:20 pm 

I went into this movie today with exactly one question - Can Abrams salvage anything from the utter train wreck that was TLJ? That's all I wanted. And I think he did. Through a combination of blatantly ignoring and/or undoing TLJ plot points, he fixed the trilogy as well as he could. The entire script, convoluted as it was, was just about un-fucking the trilogy:

- Ignore the stupid romance angle Johnson tried to shove onto Rose/Finn. Just ignore it.
- Ignore Poe being a mutinous asshole who gets people killed. He's a smartass leader again.
- Train Rey formally as a Jedi, as was intended after TFA but fucked by Johnson. And Leia did it, which was cool. I liked learning that Leia had formal training from Luke, because that just makes sense, and that she had her own lightsaber and everything.
- Can't un-kill Luke, so have him Forceghost around.
- When the Resistance calls for help, people fucking COME. Not the no one helps so oh well I guess we lose after all bullshit of TLJ.
- Nobody runs out of fuel going anywhere, for any reason.
- The "Hondo Maneuver", aka ramming things at lightspeed for an insta-win, is just hand-waved away. And good riddance.

And more examples besides. I think if TLJ hadn't been the dumpster fire that it was this could have been a better movie. Abrams had to cram a lot of fixes into the story though to make any of it work, even a little bit.

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next