Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
americanholocaust
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:46 am 

I had the Stone Brewing Company's Old Barley Wine the other day. 12 percent.. It tasted stout as fuck, man. It was similar to Rogues Double Dead Guy Ale, but with more of the alcohol bite to it. The one odd thing to me was that the color was lighter than I was expecting. And the head was really cloudy looking. But overall, great tasting brew, if you can handle the bite.

My Ebay Store

NonEsDignus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:45 pm 

Tried a couple beers with my lunch today.

First was Wells Banana Bread Beer. I liked this, subtle banana flavor, not too bitter.

Second was Young's Double Chocolate Stout. Not a fan. I don't think I like the mix of beer and chocolate, although I will probably try another chocolate beer some time eventually.

mjaeltbrand
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:29 am 

God damn, Millers Genuine Draft must be one of the most disgusting beers I've tasted.
I view any attempt to keep metal unpopular as false, because I view metal (not only do I view it; I know it to be) as an army looking for recruits. People trying to keep it down are weakening our military.

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 3:48 am 

You've obviously never tasted Vitoria Bitter or Tooheys Red.

My collection

Bede
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 6:46 pm 

Had Wildcat with lunch yesterday. Nothing earth-shattering, but it was decent and quite cheap, too.

NonEsDignus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:58 pm 

I had a bottle of Stone Sublimely Self-Righteous Ale with lunch today, since I saw it get a lot of worship on reddit.com/r/beer. Yeahhhhh, I think I need to explore the lighter beers for a while. I had to practically choke this down, made some absurd faces while drinking it.

(Not saying it is a bad beer, I just haven't developed a taste for hoppier beer yet)

nekuomanteia
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:38 am 

NonEsDignus wrote:
Tried a couple beers with my lunch today.

First was Wells Banana Bread Beer. I liked this, subtle banana flavor, not too bitter.

Second was Young's Double Chocolate Stout. Not a fan. I don't think I like the mix of beer and chocolate, although I will probably try another chocolate beer some time eventually.

Young's Double Chocolate Stout was one of my first craft beers and I have to say I was not an immediate fan myself. I kept it in the back of the fridge for months and only tried it again after I had tasted many other strong flavors. To my surprise it wasn't as bad as I originally thought, in fact it tasted great.

NonEsDignus wrote:
I had a bottle of Stone Sublimely Self-Righteous Ale with lunch today, since I saw it get a lot of worship on reddit.com/r/beer. Yeahhhhh, I think I need to explore the lighter beers for a while. I had to practically choke this down, made some absurd faces while drinking it.

(Not saying it is a bad beer, I just haven't developed a taste for hoppier beer yet)

Sounds like me when I had my first Hop Devil. What's funny is that after drinking dopplebocks, stouts, pilsners, etc. I can't even stomach the smell of regular beer like Budweiser and Shiner. They just smell and taste nasty. I'll still drink'em if there's nothing else though.

americanholocaust
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:00 am 

Drinking a twelve pack of Guinness Draught tonight. My go to beer.

My Ebay Store

Arkhane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:51 am 

idk... i live in small town, america. i could really use a st pauli girl right now

americanholocaust
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 3:09 pm 

Arkhane wrote:
idk... i live in small town, america. i could really use a st pauli girl right now

If you can't even get something like St. Pauli then I feel awful for you. Even the redneck bait shop down the road has the pale ale and the dark brew of theirs as well.

My Ebay Store

DeathRiderDoom
Pro Sports Warder

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:48 pm 

Been drinking a lot of craft beers lately, and a lot of Coopers. The big supermarket next to our band practice space has an awesome liquor department - great wine cellar and spirits, and lots of delicious foreign craft beers. They also frequently have these:
on special. 750ml bottles of the Coopers Pale Ale, which is decent. At $4 a bottle (US$3.22), it's pretty rad. got 4 yesterday for practice, and another 4 today.

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:12 am 

That's a good drop, even nicer out of the tap. I'm a big fan of the Sparkling Ale as well, it has a bit bigger alcohol content at around 5.8%.

My collection

Bezerko
Vladimir Poopin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:28 am 

DeathRiderDoom wrote:
Been drinking a lot of craft beers lately, and a lot of Coopers. The big supermarket next to our band practice space has an awesome liquor department - great wine cellar and spirits, and lots of delicious foreign craft beers. They also frequently have these:
on special. 750ml bottles of the Coopers Pale Ale, which is decent. At $4 a bottle (US$3.22), it's pretty rad. got 4 yesterday for practice, and another 4 today.

Oh lawdie, the baby of the stable. On tap everywhere back home. Grab the red labeled Sparkling Ale. Stronger in both taste and booze, and definitely the classic brew of the Cooper's stable. Their dark ale and stout are both nice, and their Extra Strong Vintage Ale makes me blow every time I have it. Get some malt up ya!

EDIT: Crushed Revelation - you should try Sparkling Ale on tap. :drool:

americanholocaust
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:50 am 

Enjoyed a six pack of Guinness Extra Stout tonight. It will probably be my last until the weather cools down again. Guinness Draught is definitely the better of the two for warmer weather. I wish though that the beer distributors had more to offer than just Draught and Extra Stout. I'd love to try something like the Foreign Extra Stout, but I've never seen it in my area.

On a related issue, what is your favorite spring and summer time regular beer. Mine would be Rolling Rock. It's one of the only beers I've found that is actually refreshing, and it's pretty easy to find. Good warm weather beer.

My Ebay Store

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:11 am 

Bezerko wrote:

Been wanting to for a while mate, hard to find on tap up this way.... :(

My collection

Bezerko
Vladimir Poopin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:31 am 

Back down in SA it's easy to find on tap, pretty much the only reason to go there. Hell, they have the Extra Strong Vintage Ale on tap at Adelaide Airport. :drool:

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:52 am 

If I'm ever at Adelaide airport, I'll make a note to sit my arse down and have a cold one ;)

My collection

anathematized_one
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:46 am 

I am now allergic to beer, but there were three beers I've ever had that were really worth mentioning.

Peter Schoferhoffer Wisse (Germany). Oh man, fuck hops, FUCK FUCK FUCK HOPS FUCK AMERICAN HOPPY BEER! Yeasty beer is the way to go.
And these two beers brewed by this guy I know's brother. One was a dark lager and the other was a pale ale, and they were the absolute two best beers I've ever had in my entire life. Really heavy, robust in flavor, but with subtle hints in them for accent, but at the same time, really smooth.

triggerhappy wrote:
anathematized_one, have you ever made a post less than 20 lines long?

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:17 am 

I recently had Ola Dubh 16 from Scotland, about two years old. It was tasty, and had a ton of Scotch notes.

I have two other Scottish beers in my fridge right now, one made with heather and one made with sprigs from spruce and pine trees (fuck you I can't spell them). Should be interesting.

Gelseth_Andrano
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:01 am 

Had a Dead Guy Ale and a Hobgoblin too. Deadguy was much better IMO, but it think the Hobgoblin would have been better with time. I've also found my choice beer whenever I'm in CHicago and at the Bottom Lounge, I always reach for a cool and refreshing Xingu Brazilian Black Beer! This stuff is incredibly dark, but also very sweet. Definitely made with some kind of fruit that leaves its sweeetness behind. If you ever see one of these somewhere, I strongly recomend picking up a sixer ot two.

The_Beast_In_Black wrote:
I touch ladies all the time.
Ladies can't get enough of my touchings

DeathRiderDoom
Pro Sports Warder

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:25 pm 

Bezerko wrote:
DeathRiderDoom wrote:

Oh lawdie, the baby of the stable. On tap everywhere back home. Grab the red labeled Sparkling Ale. Stronger in both taste and booze, and definitely the classic brew of the Cooper's stable. Their dark ale and stout are both nice, and their Extra Strong Vintage Ale makes me blow every time I have it. Get some malt up ya!

Yeah the Red ones are great, and i really do LOOOOOOOOOOOVE their stout. So flavoursome - creamy, thick and sweet. Last one i had was 5 days ago, been pining for another since.

nekuomanteia
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:58 pm 

Currently going back and forth with these. Neither are as flavorful as a La Rossa but still quite tasty.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:25 pm 

Earthcubed wrote:
I have two other Scottish beers in my fridge right now, one made with heather and one made with sprigs from spruce and pine trees (fuck you I can't spell them). Should be interesting.

I guess you're talking about Fraoch and Alba? Both are pretty tasty. I've had the whole stable of those Historic Beers of Scotland. The Fraoch is probably the best although the elderberry black ale is good, too. I didn't really care much for the Kelpie.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

DeathRiderDoom
Pro Sports Warder

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:19 pm 

Gonna head over to this tasting tomorrow night, with some beer enthusiast buddies:
http://www.regionalwines.co.nz/beer-con ... r-tastings
I'm really interested. Some sort of world first and i am intrigued as to what the concoction will taste like.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/life-style/49346 ... hisky-beer

americanholocaust
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:37 pm 

nekuomanteia wrote:

Delicious choice, man.

I drank a couple Newcastles last night. It's a really good beer, as long as you get one that isn't skunky.

My Ebay Store

RedMisanthrope
Poet Laureate of the Old Ones

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:49 pm 

I'll be knocking back a four-pack of Three Philosophers tonight. My favorite beer. So, would that be Twelve Philosophers...? Hurrrr.
Death metal is eternal.

Eames
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 4:45 am 

Why are'nt americans drinking more Samuel Adams? It's the only more ''commercial'' american beer that I found palatable.

mjaeltbrand
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 6:53 am 

Any opinions on the Honey Porter? I might try it some day.
I view any attempt to keep metal unpopular as false, because I view metal (not only do I view it; I know it to be) as an army looking for recruits. People trying to keep it down are weakening our military.

americanholocaust
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 8:37 am 

Eames wrote:
Why are'nt americans drinking more Samuel Adams? It's the only more ''commercial'' american beer that I found palatable.

Because most of us are stupid and ignorant, and choose not to explore anything for ourselves with the exception of what the media is oversaturated with. Sam Adam's is the best mainstream US brewery. So much better than any other mass produced beer here. But I'm not sure how big the Sam Adam's brewery actually is. I'm sure when compared to Coors, it is still pretty small.

My Ebay Store

MacMoney
Man of the Cloth

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 8:55 am 

americanholocaust wrote:
Because most of us are stupid and ignorant, and choose not to explore anything for ourselves with the exception of what the media is oversaturated with. Sam Adam's is the best mainstream US brewery. So much better than any other mass produced beer here. But I'm not sure how big the Sam Adam's brewery actually is. I'm sure when compared to Coors, it is still pretty small.

Molson Coors (the parent company of Coors) produced 42.1 million barrels of beer while Sam Adams produced 1.36 million barrels. In comparison Sierra Nevada produced about 800'000 barrels.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 7:20 pm 

I'd drink a lot more Sam Adams than I do if it were cheaper than it is. For the price of a Sam Adams sixer I can get a six pack of a fairly large variety of high quality craft beer, so generally I'll pass on Sam Adams' "decent" stuff and instead go for something that's really tasty. That said, they do have a number of beers that are of a higher quality than the rest that I'll drink on a more regular basis.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

Gelseth_Andrano
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 8:29 am 

iamntbatman wrote:
I'd drink a lot more Sam Adams than I do if it were cheaper than it is. For the price of a Sam Adams sixer I can get a six pack of a fairly large variety of high quality craft beer, so generally I'll pass on Sam Adams' "decent" stuff and instead go for something that's really tasty. That said, they do have a number of beers that are of a higher quality than the rest that I'll drink on a more regular basis.

I totally agree with this. Cheaper Sam Adams would lead to a lot more awesome nights for me and my buddies. At least I can say that sam adams made the first light beer I actually enjoy, and would pick over some other beers.

The_Beast_In_Black wrote:
I touch ladies all the time.
Ladies can't get enough of my touchings

Arkhane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 9:25 am 

my boss handed me a michelob ultra light yesterday after work.... more watered down flavor than anything i've ever tried. but i had a beer with him since all through that day we were fightin and what-not and i decided what better way to cool down than a cold one.

The_Orphanizer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 10:57 am 

I've been diggin' on Leinenkugel's Summer Wheat lately. Fruity and delicious! I enjoyed Shock Top recently, but Leinenkugel wipes the floor with that.

CViking
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 7:07 pm 

I recently bought a box with 6 Stella Artois.. i really like this beer ! but i still prefer Heineken than Stella.. but they're my favorite beers of all time.....
And here in Brazil have a beer called Medieval.. its REALLY FUCKING GOOD , but its expensive as well...

NonEsDignus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 7:21 pm 

I am pretty retarded.

I was looking to pick up a 6-pack of something nice at the grocery store. After looking over their wares I settled on a nice looking seasonal from New Belgium. Then I somehow managed to grab the completely wrong fucking thing, buy it, drive home, and not notice until a day later when I was trying to remember the name of what I got. What I ended up getting is called Kona Longboard. I guess it might be decent, and I am more upset with myself just for the fuck-up than for the actual result. Still, it gets pretty low ratings online: http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/kona-longboard-lager/2533/ . I'm mostly just concerned by the design on the bottle - it looks like the kind of thing they would market to tourists on a cruise.

Has anybody had this stuff? I haven't tried it yet, been busy with school, and I got the six-pack for my sister's impending visit tomorrow so I'm saving it.

mjaeltbrand
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 5:26 am 

I don't think there are many lagers with high rating on that site, it seems like people generally prefer darker and more tasty stuff like stouts and porters.

MacMoney
Man of the Cloth

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 5:36 am 

mjaeltbrand wrote:
I don't think there are many lagers with high rating on that site, it seems like people generally prefer darker and more tasty stuff like stouts and porters.

People tend to dump on lagers, because they think the only lagers are the kinds that macrobreweries produce like Bud or Coors for Americans. There are a lot of eisbocks, weizenbocks and doppelbocks as well as Baltic porters that get high ratings of the lagers. And as for lighter colored beers there are the likes of IPAs, DIPAs and tripels though they are ales, not lagers. Of course, imperial stouts tend to get higher scores at those places, because they're more complex and flavorful and people who get into rating heavily tend to gravitate towards those kinds of beers and they are more expensive to produce so get produced in smaller quantities and get the rarity effect as well.

mjaeltbrand
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 8:35 am 

The only Bock I've tasted is Celebrator, but I barely remember how it tasted. I think I enjoyed it though, but Systembolaget doesen't sell it.

MacMoney
Man of the Cloth

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 8:40 am 

mjaeltbrand wrote:
The only Bock I've tasted is Celebrator, but I barely remember how it tasted. I think I enjoyed it though, but Systembolaget doesen't sell it.

It's superbly malty with not much hop character to it. A lot of sweet, rye bread-like (Finnish, dry rye bread) maltiness and chocolate with a very full mouthfeel.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 86  Next