Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:44 pm 

Well, starka has herbs and such added to it, so it would more properly be called a whiskey liqueur of some sort. But before the herbs are added, yes, it's whiskey. This might be controversial but if anything starka is even more of a whiskey than, say, Irish whisky, since I believe it's distilled twice whereas Irish is distilled three times (versus 3 to 10 times for vodka). And yes, there's obviously some stronger filtering than what goes on in many of the whiski(e)s of the world. But if it's distilled rye aged in an oak barrel, dammit, it is whiskey.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:02 am 

I actually do like tequila a fair bit, but I'd be unsure about trying tequila barrel-aged beers. I do sometimes buy and drink that crendy Desperados stuff sometimes (and there's actually a super cheap storebrand knockoff of it here, too) so I think it'd be difficult for a beer to escape that association for me. Maybe some sort of sour beer or belgian or big fruity stout would be sufficiently different from "regular beer" to not draw up comparisons.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

Kerrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:36 pm 

LOL. So the place I work has had a "beer thirty" tradition that at 4:00 on Fridays, we'll crack open some beers for the last hourish of work. As we've grown though, we don't do it as often. My coworker (who is a member of AA though I don't think has ever been what would be considered a "true" alcoholic) bought the rest of us engineers non-alcoholic Coors. It tastes about what you'd expect it to taste like.

ThePoop
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 3:19 am 

Zodijackyl wrote:
Heady Topper, Focal Banger, Sip of Sunshine, Captains Daughter, and Gandhi Bot: they're all really good beers that I like, but I don't go hunting for them any more. There's enough of these top notch DIPAs that I'll get a pack once or twice a month. Lately, I'm looking for beers that aren't overwhelmingly bitter. White Birch Berliner Weisse has been my favorite, when I can get it.

I'm from NH and I had assumed White Birch wasn't big enough to distribute out of the state.... Do you live in the New England area or is White Birch's reach further than I thought? Also, I agree, their Berliner is fantastic.

forestcorpse
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 4:55 pm 

Having a belgian trippel by my favorite Norwegian brewery tonight, really good!
It's my birthday after all :P

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:52 pm 

Hey, happy birthday! We share a birthday \m/

I had a bunch of expensive Belgian stuff because my friends were paying, and also this because it was $6 and it was there and my friends were paying:

hey
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:27 pm 

That used to be my dad's goto beer. :-P

Having Bell's Two Hearted Ale for the first time, definitely one of the best IPA's I've ever had.

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:06 pm 

hey wrote:
That used to be my dad's goto beer. :-P

Having Bell's Two Hearted Ale for the first time, definitely one of the best IPA's I've ever had.

Best part about Two-Hearted is that it's made its way into markets that otherwise wouldn't really sell craft beer. I've seen it at a number of backwater northern WI grocery stores that otherwise just sell macros while visiting my friend's cabin near the UP border.

~Guest 375103
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:24 pm 

Currently enjoying a Pilsner Urquell, a Czech lager brewed in Plzeň, Czech Republic. One of my favorite beer.

Kerrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:08 pm 

The Czechs know how to beer. :)

I'm currently drinking an Eye Of The Hawk imperial ale by Mendocino Brewing. Good stuff! After work I'm going to meet up with my parents at the local brewery Steel Bonnet and have a drink with them which should be nice too.

forestcorpse
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:10 pm 

I have to say, I dont really like pilsners at all... :P
Had some nice beers tonight. Now a simple IPA ( Homebrew)
Not bad though!

forestcorpse
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:09 pm 

Having this now:

Citra IIPA from Mikeller, 9%.
Wow, it's so good...!

hey
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:46 pm 

Had a bottle of Cascade Brewing's Sang Noir, which was absolutely delightful. :drool:

Maugrimritual
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:33 pm 

Big stout and porter fan, myself. I don't typically drink anything I can see through.
Recent favorites include: Epic Brewing Son of A Baptist, Burial Beer Co. Donut Skillet Stout, Hi-wire brewing 10w-40, Burial Tin Cup Coffee Stout, Oskar Blues Death By Coconut.

As far as breweries go, was a big fan of Southern Tier for a while, although their quality has gone downhill quite a bit. Love some Angry Chair and Funky Buddha.

forestcorpse
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:45 pm 

It was a big beer release today here in Norway, so I picked up a lot of stuff.

Including these Stone Brewing beers:

Maugrimritual
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 12:07 am 

forestcorpse wrote:
It was a big beer release today here in Norway, so I picked up a lot of stuff.

Including these Stone Brewing beers:

That bitter chocolate oatmeal stout is a treat for sure.

forestcorpse
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 5:17 am 

Sounds good! :D

The Nøgne Ø beer is also quite special

''This imperial stout is our way of taking the best of what we have in our barrel cellar and blending it to create something unique.
Eternal Rest is a combination of Russian Imperial Stout aged for 19 months in Armagnac Barrels and Imperial Stout aged 25 months in Bourbon Barrels.
The blend was then conditioned on top of fresh vanilla beans and toasted coconut. Cheers to new beginnings and endless horizons.''

Maugrimritual
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 10:30 pm 

forestcorpse wrote:
Sounds good! :D

The Nøgne Ø beer is also quite special

''This imperial stout is our way of taking the best of what we have in our barrel cellar and blending it to create something unique.
Eternal Rest is a combination of Russian Imperial Stout aged for 19 months in Armagnac Barrels and Imperial Stout aged 25 months in Bourbon Barrels.
The blend was then conditioned on top of fresh vanilla beans and toasted coconut. Cheers to new beginnings and endless horizons.''

That sounds like a winner. I've had a small handful of their stuff before, but the selection is always far and few between, and it's been quite a while so I can't remember which they were.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 2:35 am 

As is well-documented in this thread I have bitched and moaned about the state of craft beer in Korea for years now. Three years ago, the beer selection was Korean macros, import macros and usually two or three random decent things at places with the best selections, like Coopers Extra Stout or Leffe Brun. Nothing exciting. Then a while later, I finally started seeing some craft imports, but for the longest time you'd get a trickle of one or two of the more boring beers (a regular IPA and...wait for it...a session IPA!) from any given brewery, then they'd eventually sell out of them and they'd be gone forever.

Until today. I went to do my weekly grocery shopping at one of the two giant box stores near my house (which are, strangely, the places where you can find the best imported beer selection in any given city in Korea) and was utterly blown away. They've completely redone the beer section and has gone from having one or two ok things from time to time to literally having probably a hundred or two hundred new imports. They probably had like ten or twelve Stone beers alone. Shitloads of cool American craft breweries, lots of European stuff, some Aussie and NZ beers that are new to me, and a HUUUUGE selection of Japanese craft stuff that was not only super interesting but also extremely cheap - all of it was like $2/bottle.

I know deep in my guts this is probably a fleeting thing, so I picked up as much as I could fit in my backpack along with the weekly groceries. I was really tempted to get a bunch of old favorites, like the other FIVE Oskar Blues beers they had which are not pictured here, or some of the Rogue or Stone or Ninkasi or asdghadfgklhsdlkgh....holy shit.

Anyway, here's today's haul:

Top row: Oskar Blues G'night (imperial red IPA), Kishachi Red Label Alt, Evil Twin Falco IPA, Oskar Blues Old Chub (wee heavy).
Bottom row: Abashiri Prison Stout, Tennent's Whiskey Oak, Tongerlo Prior Tripel 9, Sekinoichi Iwatekura Herbed Golden Ale, Cooper's Extra Strong Vintage, Kinshachi IPA, Smuttynose Old Brown Dog, Tennent's Scotch Ale.

caspian
Old Man Yells at Car Park

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 8:45 am 

The vintage coopers is pretty great, batman. Nothing mind blowing but over here it continues coopers long held tradition of cheap, rather good, not a macro, and free from any kind of wankery.

Had a golden gaytime (kind of icecream) dessert stout today. not sure what to think of it, heaps of toffee and honeycomb but kinda clashed with the bitter stout base. Would've been an award winner if it was based on a cream porter or something. Oh well.

Other beers recently:
shitload of little creatures pale ale. Always synonymous with good times
that new Sierra Nevada sidecar orange pale ale? Decent if not mindblowing.

Got an arrogant bastard "you're not worthy" super bitter thingo to try out and a stone milk stout too. Happy days

https://strangercountry.bandcamp.com/al ... the-chebar new album! Power shoegaze? Dream-doom???

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:27 am 

Yeah, I'm actually sipping the Coopers just now! Love how dirty it looks. I was a bit hesitant at first because the really foamy head that I've come to recognize as a sure sign of a big beer done wrong, but that turned out to be just an anomaly. I can't remember how much I paid for this but I don't think it was too expensive. If it's still around after I work my way through that massive new beer selection it'll become a regular drink for sure.

iDead
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:02 am 

Best beer i had was some local made in Republic of Serbia, otherwise not a beer drinker, might have one occasianlly when its hot. Jack Daniels is my thing, doesnt give much gut either :D

At a festival in Serbia in 2015 they served nothing but big cups of beer, didnt have a choice. Head didnt feel too good after 27 cups haha

forestcorpse
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:36 pm 

iamntbatman:

Nice to see you found some interesting stuff over there!
Wouldn't really think of Korea as a beer place.

I also got my hands on the Oskar Blues G'Knight IPA just now, and a Dale’s IPA.
Think I will crack them this coming weekend!

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:38 pm 

Korea wasn't a beer place at all, until last week! They seriously went from having like 4 non-swill beers available at the best of times to hundreds in a week. It's a bit overwhelming, for my liver anyway.

schizoid
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:59 am 

Cooper's vintage, great stuff.

I've been on holiday in Taiwan for the last few days. As unexciting as that sounds Brew wise, it's deliverance from the barren beer wasteland that is Malaysia. There's the local Taiwan macro, that does standard lagers as well as a range of radler type fruit beers. It seems Asians really get into fruit and wheat beers, I'm guessing for the sweetness. The latter is fine for me, always been into wheats. Anyway, more local and Japanese and the odd Euro imports to get into, maybe will report back later with results of note.

Cheers!

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:11 am 

iamntbatman wrote:
Korea wasn't a beer place at all, until last week! They seriously went from having like 4 non-swill beers available at the best of times to hundreds in a week. It's a bit overwhelming, for my liver anyway.

Research indicates the upswing in Korean craft beer availability began with an American English teacher who increased the country's craft beer consumption rates by 400% entirely on his own...

So I've made a habit of stopping in tiny, decidedly non-craft-beer liquor stores to see if they have something rare that would have sold out right away in a more craft-y area, or anything that's been sitting long enough that it's effectively been aged. 99% of the time this doesn't work, but last Friday I found one such store with two bombers of 2012 Espresso Oak-Aged Yeti. Fuck yes.

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:45 am 

Eh, coffee in beer is not known to cellar particularly well. At that age I wouldn't be surprised if the espresso flavor is non-existent. Spices/additives in general tend to fade faster than anything besides late hop additions.

Except the heat from peppers. That shit never goes away.

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:56 am 

Earthcubed wrote:
Eh, coffee in beer is not known to cellar particularly well. At that age I wouldn't be surprised if the espresso flavor is non-existent. Spices/additives in general tend to fade faster than anything besides late hop additions.

Except the heat from peppers. That shit never goes away.

I thought the same, but surprisingly the reviews on untappd are saying the coffee flavor is still fairly present given its age. At any rate it'll still be a tasty aged imperial stout if nothing else.

True on peppers, too. Still trying to figure out when I should crack my proprietor's bcbs from last year, as everyone was saying that was the most spice-forward prop yet.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:13 am 

Drinking the Iwatekura golden ale just now... sending me back to last year in Japan. Nice fresh grassy hops up front, a but subtle, then gives way to this super pleasant malty goodness with delicate spices and slight fruitiness just barely perceptible. Easily one of the most ludicrously drinkable things ever. Could just drink this non-stop all day.

Up next is the Evil Twin Falco - this is a winner as well! Basically a really basic, straightforward IPA, with hops that lean hard toward the citrus end of things to make for a really refreshing drink. This'd be brilliant on a hot porch in summer.

Old Brown Dog was as good as I remembered. Honestly in terms of ubiquitous, somewhat strong brown ales, I prefer Dogfish Head Indian Brown as it's just got a bit more complexity to it. This one's still a solid beer though.

Tennent's Scotch Ale was....alright. A bit thin and lacking in flavor, though still clearly part of the Scotch Ale tradition. I also have trouble figuring out how/why this is a 9% ABV beer - things like Old Chub, Skullsplitter, Belhaven Wee Heavy, Founder's Dirty Bastard or McEwan's are wayyyy more rich and flavorful than this but with lower alcohol. This'd be something I'd drink fairly often if it either had more going on or if the alcohol were lower than it is.

The Kinshachi Red Label Alt is also really good, which was somewhat expected after how solid the IPA was. Though, it's really hard for me to drink craft alts these days without nostalgia coming in about the sadly retired New Glarus Alt, which was my favorite ever alt. This one has that subtle richness and sweetness and hints of apple, too, but I'm not sure if it's quite in the same league. Still far superior to many other alts I've had. It's strange to say since it's not a super popular style, but I've had two different Japanese craft alts now and both have been very good, so maybe they're just unnaturally good at the style? Who knows.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:58 am 

Hmm...double post. Whatever! Here's I Finally Have Easy Access to a Great Many Delicious Beers, Part 2:

Oskar Blues G'Knight - Damn, this was tasty. Imperial Red IPA that was basically as good as I hoped it would be. Bigass malt with a hint of sourness that reminded me of a rye a little bit, but not quite that strong, with lots of hops from across the spectrum - piney, floral, citrus. Not a massive hops bomb but supremely well-balanced and really easy-drinking considering it's almost 9% abv. It'll be hard to resist getting more of this.

Abashiri Prison Stout - This is a bit thin and cola-like, usually a hallmark of a ho-hum run of the mill stout, but the saving grace here is that this is incredibly smoky stuff. The malt must've been crazy burnt as this tastes like a smoked porter or something perhaps more than it does a standard stout. I wish it had a bit creamier body and just a richer, fuller taste to complement all that smoke, but that's just my personal preference. Those who are bigger fans of things like rauchbiers would probably get a real kick out of this as it is. Man, Japan has some interesting shit going on beer-wise.

Tennent's Whiskey Oak - FUCK FUCK FUCK clear bottles, so hard. Probably should've seen this coming, but this was skunked. I did my very best to try to judge it through the skunk haze but it's basically impossible to be objective about it. Still, I'll try - despite the fancy label and being whiskey oak barrel aged and all that, this seemed like just a rather meh English strong ale. I mean if you're even bothering to make an English strong ale these days I imagine it wouldn't be the sort of thing you'd go and fuck up completely, but this was about the most generic one I've had. Plus the skunkery. This brewery is proving themselves to be...not great. Gimme Belhaven over these guys any day.

Helios Porter - "Porter of the Starlit Sky" as it says on the can. I went back to the same great supermarket to pick up a pizza and some beer for next "drink at home because I'm awesome" session and this was one of them that I swapped in for the Old Chub, which I'll save for next time. Anyway, man, Japan is great. This one's from Okinawa, which is about as isolated as a place could be and still have craft breweries, and this is pretty damn good I gotta say. I don't think it's a milk stout, though I'd have to have someone who reads Japanese tell me more about it, but this is just super creamy, lactose-y, delicious stuff. Tastes like a really mild milk stout. Had a huge head on the pour and is a nice rich brown color. Sad to say but the cheap Japanese craft stuff had thinned out pretty well at the supermarket so hopefully that wasn't a one-off and they get some more because so far every one of them I've had has been really good.

Tongerlo Prior Tripel - I read that this was very middle of the road, but I dunno, it was damn tasty. Really similar to something like Maredsous I'd say, and far cheaper! Just really sweet, complex, lots of dried fruits and honey, a bit of pepperiness and yeast in the mix to round things out. Much better than what I was expecting based on the reviews. They had a few other beers by this place so I'll try those as well.

ModusOperandi
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 12:54 am 

Bell's Mars showed up this past week out of seemingly nowhere. I had zero idea it was being brought back and was still able to score a case on short notice, an increasingly difficult thing to do when more and more shops keep breaking stuff up into single bottles and only allowing one or two to be purchased. I'm curious if they'll bring back any of the rest from their Planets series but it wouldn't bother me if they didn't. This was clearly the best of them, and it's still awesome as was Hopslam a couple months ago.

They need to refine The Oracle, though. A bit too malty last year so hopefully they'll fix that this time.

AT FIRST, I'M NOT AN IDIOT, MORE RESPECT.

Kerrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:57 pm 

I had Clown Shoe's The Barista breakfast brown ale last night. I loved it. Highly recommended!

forestcorpse
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:27 pm 

Kerrick: I was the one that added you on untapped, I see you just accepted! ;)

We have this new beer every thursday thing on a norwegian beer forum, and today it's this one:

Very nice balance with the chili and hops.
Great brewery.

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:00 pm 

Woo! Garage Project! Fantastic brewery, been there personally and they always have some truly great beers. If you ever find it Corpse, I heartily recommend the Venusian Pale Ale - wonderfully delicious pale with a hint of coriander/cilantro. Refreshing and damn tasty.

My collection

forestcorpse
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:45 am 

Indeed a great brewery!
I have had a few of their beers lately, since there was quite many of them on the last beer release in march over here.
Next release is in 2 weeks, fingers crossed there will be something more from GP.

I also have their Pernicious Weed beer in my fridge, ready for the weekend now.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 1:38 am 

Little report on beer in Taiwan:

Seems not too dissimilar from Korea, though the craft scene seems more interesting, if just as nascent. The macros are even more limited in scope than Korea, totally dominated by a single brewery called simply Taiwan Brewing. They've got three main beers, the regular one, which is just a generic (not good) lager, a honey version which actually does a whole lot to make it more refreshing and enjoyable, and the "Classic" which was definitely among the top shittiest beers I've ever had.

My first real night in town, I found a dude with a beer rickshaw thingy in an alley in the main shopping district. He had two different Deschutes beers on draft and something like 25 different bottles available. I had a Deschutes #[some series of numbers] "experimental pale ale" which was a grassy, fairly lightly hopped but malty pale ale with some interesting spicing going on in there. Or maybe it was some strange yeast? In any case it was really damn good. I had plans for the rest of the evening so I only had one more after that - a Taiwanese beer by The Brewseum called Chu Hou, which was an American stout. Nothing too unorthodox here, but it was a pretty big, chewy stout for a non-imperial (7% abv as I recall) but very, very well done. Pretty shocking and exciting too see beers this solid coming out of such a young craft beer scene with almost no international exposure.

And last night, while I was literally on my way to the airport, I took a slightly different path to my hotel than I had taken the previous two nights and not two blocks from the hotel was a place called "Beer Ammo" boasting over 300 beers. I popped in and wasn't quite as impressed as I'd hoped to be, but still a very respectable bottle collection that reminded me of a slightly less fantastic version of that bottle shop I found in Hangzhou last year.

So, I definitely wouldn't call Taiwan a beer destination like I would Japan, but it's got some neat stuff.

forestcorpse
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:57 pm 

Interesting to hear how it's over there!

Had another Garage Project tonight, and wow this one was awesome. I can imagen this one on a nice summer evening.
Juicy and tastefull!

schizoid
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:43 am 

iamntbatman wrote:
Little report on beer in Taiwan:

You didn't come across Redpoint? I tried their lager and IPA (TaiPA) which were solid, if not a bit predicable. The Taiwan state macro does actually do a few other things too, like a bunch of low strength radler style fruit mixes, but also a basic wheat, which is OK. But as you also noticed, in Taiwan you can still get a bunch of Euro imports, which is a shit ton better than what's available in East Malaysia.

forestcorpse, how much did that Pernicious Weed cost you in Norway? :eek:

forestcorpse
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:42 am 

About 12 US dollars.

Alcohol here is super expensive due to heavy alcohol taxes...
But whatever :P

schizoid
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:37 am 

Yeah, I've heard. I've never actually tried pernicious weed due to it being out of my price range even in NZ, but it's a local favourite.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82 ... 86  Next