Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 3:55 pm 

Sweet I'll have to check for them then as they sound pretty damned tasty and right up my taste alley. The beer guy told me they don't distribute this far north though so I don't know if I'll be able to get it or not. Then again you've gotten it and I'm assuming you had it as an import right?

Just stopped for a frozen pizza at Jewel and ran thru the beer section got a bomber of Hop Stoopid for $3.99, love that Lagunitas has such cheep beer because their shit is delicious! Also nice that Jewel seems to always have their stuff on sale on top of the already cheap price tag.

Azmodes wrote:
It combines two of my favourite things: penis innuendo and derigin.

MacMoney
Man of the Cloth

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 5:39 am 

Erosion of Humanity wrote:
Sweet I'll have to check for them then as they sound pretty damned tasty and right up my taste alley. The beer guy told me they don't distribute this far north though so I don't know if I'll be able to get it or not. Then again you've gotten it and I'm assuming you had it as an import right?

Well, a brewery's distribution in the States doesn't really compare with a brewery's distribution in Europe. In this case, the guys from Prairie Ales were in De Bierkoning in Amsterdam for Zwanze Day and apparently had brought kegs of both Prairie Hop and Prairie Ale with them to serve at Zwanze and a selection of bottles. I'm not sure if their stuff has been widely available at any point.

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 10:35 am 

This last Tuesday:

And today...

That's JUST where I pay for my beers! But I use to drink them LATER! LOL!

P.S: Interesting world map of popular beers:
http://vinepair.com/wine-blog/most-popular-beer-every-country-map/

Spoiler: show

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 10:58 am 

dude, don't drink and drive.

║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 2:33 pm 

PhilosophicalFrog wrote:
dude, don't drink and drive.

A 80 years old guy confused brake and gas pedals and... terror in the supermarket! :-D

MetalPeas
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 10:03 am 

It's interesting that a vast majority of the number one beers are lagers.

MacMoney
Man of the Cloth

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 11:55 am 

MetalPeas wrote:
It's interesting that a vast majority of the number one beers are lagers.

Is it? I figured it was common knowledge. At least among people who know what a lager is.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 11:59 am 

I assume by number one he means in sales? That's not interesting at all, since lagers are very boring and most people are also very boring.

(Some of) tonight's beers:

7brau is the only craft brewery in Korea that makes their beers available for purchase at stores (the others are draft only, on premises, except for one in Seoul which distributes kegs to a few bars in Korea). Previously the only beer of theirs I had seen was their canned regular IPA. Probably could be considered a session IPA since it's only 5.5%, but it's pretty tasty. I'm drinking the M Pale Ale just now and it actually reminds me a lot of that regular IPA. Real fucking dark for a pale ale, solid malt base and tons of piney hops bite. Definitely more than passable pale ale, which has me excited to try the IPA, which is perhaps more like a DIPA at 7%. We'll see.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 12:09 pm 

iamntbatman wrote:
I assume by number one he means in sales? That's not interesting at all, since lagers are very boring and most people are also very boring.

Also they tend to be cheap as hell, probably the prime factor there.

MacMoney
Man of the Cloth

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 12:19 pm 

Under_Starmere wrote:
iamntbatman wrote:

Well, you know, one of the countries where lager hasn't done that well is Ireland and you know how dirt poor they're there. The thing is, I imagine, that lagers, by nature, lend themselves better to mass production as well as for mass consumption. Lager yeasts tend to have a much more neutral flavor and they produce much cleaner beers than ale yeasts. Especially in the days of yore, people weren't looking that much for bigger and bolder tastes, but something reliable that did the job well enough.

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 3:41 pm 

They're only better for mass production if they're not really lagers. You know, beers that are actually lagered. That takes time, at least an extra month if you want to do it right. I know at least Budweiser is somewhat properly lagered, I think for around three weeks. I know that's not much time but it's still time spent sitting in a tank instead of selling out at a liquor store.

The reason the big boys make them is because they are popular and they are popular because they are boring. It would be cheaper to make something top-fermented ("ale").

schizoid
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 11:52 pm 

I'm calling bullshit on that chart anyway. For New Zealand we get Lion Red. I cant remember the last time I saw anyone drink a Lion Red, or the last time I saw a advertisement for it. A lot of supermarkets don't even stock it anymore. Unless they got they're statistics from the 80's, the correct answer would probably be Tui (a bland as all hell "Pale Ale").

...and how come some countries get 2 beers, but everyone else 1?

Can anyone else refute the information for their respective country as well?

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 4:02 am 

Forgot to update after I drank the W I.P.A. This one was actually damn tasty. First thing I noticed was that it was dark as hell for an IPA, very nearly brown ale territory. Hops were big on the nose and the palette, mainly grassier stuff with a hint of grapefruit. This probably would've been potently hops-forward if it weren't for the huge, caramel biscuit malt. Very well-balanced beer that is absolutely going to become a staple of my drinking here so long as it stays available (and inexpensive). Big props to 7brau for essentially singlehandedly carrying the Korean craft beer scene.

I also finally got around to drinking those two Grimbergen beers (Blanche and Blonde) that I posted a while back. The blanche was actually a bit too potent for its own good, I think - too much spice that wasn't really rounded out by the smooth, soft wheat that a beer like this ought to have. Not horrible stuff by any means but since I'm not really a big wheat beer drinker in the first place I won't be picking this up again. The blonde was alright - basically a Leffe Blonde clone, but more expensive. Won't be drinking that again, either.

luismilanese
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 5:10 pm 

The most popular type of beer in Brazil is the pilsner, which is a kind of lager beer. It's light and low on alcohol and it fits the warn weather we have here.
And I've been drinking it since when I started drinking beer. I've tried other types, such as weissbier, I enjoy it, but Pilsner goes better for me.

MetalPeas
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 7:46 pm 

MacMoney wrote:

Is it? I figured it was common knowledge. At least among people who know what a lager is.

Interesting, not surprising.

MacMoney wrote:
Under_Starmere wrote:

Well, you know, one of the countries where lager hasn't done that well is Ireland and you know how dirt poor they're there. The thing is, I imagine, that lagers, by nature, lend themselves better to mass production as well as for mass consumption. Lager yeasts tend to have a much more neutral flavor and they produce much cleaner beers than ale yeasts. Especially in the days of yore, people weren't looking that much for bigger and bolder tastes, but something reliable that did the job well enough.

Well, I think you'll find in most places ales were number one until the turn of the 19th to 20th centuries when refrigeration became available to brewing. This made the colder fermentation temperatures easier to achieve and control, especially in places that aren't cold. Lager yeast is, in the grand scheme of things, a relatively recent discovery.

Odin AllFather
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 4:00 am 

Pretty Devoted to a German beer called Dab.

Odin AllFather
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 4:01 am 

Odin AllFather wrote:

German beer is good beer.

MacMoney
Man of the Cloth

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 4:23 am 

MetalPeas wrote:
Interesting, not surprising.

Yes, if you read carefully, you'll notice that I never said surprising. I was just wondering what's so interesting about it.

MetalPeas wrote:
Well, I think you'll find in most places ales were number one until the turn of the 19th to 20th centuries when refrigeration became available to brewing. This made the colder fermentation temperatures easier to achieve and control, especially in places that aren't cold. Lager yeast is, in the grand scheme of things, a relatively recent discovery.

Yes, I am aware of the history of brewing.

schizoid
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:43 am 

Odin AllFather wrote:

Branch out, Dab is a thoroughly average German lager.

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 3:22 pm 

Finally made it to TRVE in Denver. I ordered the Aura and they turned on Bölzer right after, it was perfect.

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 3:33 pm 

We played at a bar last night that had a plentiful amount of Zombie Dust bottles (along with other Three Floyds staples) for five goddamn dollars. (Bada Brew in Crest Hill, near Joliet, for you Chicagoland folks.) And I found another bar a 15-minute walk from my place that had a decent amount of ZD last Friday.

I'm happy.

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:31 pm 

I'm boring and just picked up a bomber of Gnarly Wine at the store today whilst buying my wife a bottle of cheap wine. I really hate how the Binnys by me is set up, they don't really do a good job organizing their beer other than having it all in one section. The one in Bloomingdale is waay better.

Azmodes wrote:

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:33 pm 

Never had Gnarlywine...I've always figured if I could get Brown Shugga' why bother?

Drinking a New Belgium Rampant at the moment before dinner. Drier and a bit more resinous than I remember it being. Has a strange hop profile that's equal parts "dirty" and melons. Only ever tasted one other beer with Mosaic hops and it had a similar melon character to it. Tasty either way, and easy to find.

I've been laying off the beer a bit lately. My weekend drinking is starting to catch up with me, I'm getting old. :(

schizoid
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:52 am 

This thread really needs a sticky... it's the Tavern FFS!

Anyway, drinking me some Tetleys Smooth Flow tonight. Basically slightly cheaper Kilkenny without the ball in the can. Very little flavour, but this sort of stuff is more about the texture. The local supermarket seems to be doing a clearance, cos' who the hell buys this sort of thing. So might get a little more while the price is right.

Talley Ho!

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:33 am 

Smoking_Gnu wrote:
We played at a bar last night that had a plentiful amount of Zombie Dust bottles (along with other Three Floyds staples) for five goddamn dollars. (Bada Brew in Crest Hill, near Joliet, for you Chicagoland folks.) And I found another bar a 15-minute walk from my place that had a decent amount of ZD last Friday.

I'm happy.

Three Floyds rules, definitely the best beer I had in the US.

Tetleys is kinda dull, a bit like drinking mud. Same as John Smiths smooth. Although, I could certainly go for a decent pint of bitter right now (especially since I'm sick of stupid yankee eye-watering hops and fizzy Italian lagers).

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 12:27 am 

Opened my first bomber of Lagunitas Gnarlywine tonight. Damn good stuff! Wonderfully sweet, candied pineapple and rich malts on the nose and a palette full of powerful malty sweetness with a sharper hoppy undercurrent. Nice full mouthfeel, but with a relatively mild aftertaste, just some low-key hoppy bitterness remaining. Delicious! Have to say the barleywine style is currently one of my absolute favorites, though it's oftentimes not that easy to find hardly any options on the shelf.

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 4:46 pm 

Speaking of Lagunitas, I went on a brewery tour there over the weekend and came back with some UnderCover Ale, Equinox and Imperial Coffee Stout. I'm quite excited for the ICS as I've heard it's superior to their Espresso Stout and being aged in rye barrels is sure to mean something good. The Undercover ale is pretty good too; good balance of hoppy and sweet.

Lord Atramentous
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:16 am 

First time to try this out and it's really good.

The_Krusher
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 12:28 pm 

Paulaner is good. Ever had Weihenstephaner? That's probably my go to German beer. I just really love hefeweizen style beers. And any beer from Germany.

Lord Atramentous
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 11:57 am 

The_Krusher wrote:
Paulaner is good. Ever had Weihenstephaner? That's probably my go to German beer. I just really love hefeweizen style beers. And any beer from Germany.

No I haven't but I've seen those in the beer store so I'll try it out when I go buy some beer.

Here's what I'm having now because it's better than Budweiser haha

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 12:57 pm 

Since I've been wanting to get more experience with wheat beers I picked up a pint bottle of the Weihenstephaner Vitus yesterday. Drank it with a picnic dinner by the lake in the park. Really nice stuff, nothing out of the ordinary, just a zesty, solid and flavorful weissbier with a healthy ABV. A well spent $4, I'd say. Will explore this field more, for sure.

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 2:17 pm 

I'm brewing today. A friend of mine and I are brewing a double IPA, results will be known I about two weeks.

Azmodes wrote:

narsilianshard
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 2:22 pm 

You should let a DIPA ferment much longer than two weeks. 4 weeks minimum, dry hopping recommended after 2 weeks.

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 3:05 pm 

Ahh good to know, thanks.

Azmodes wrote:

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 7:40 pm 

Going to the Great Korean Beer Festival tomorrow. It's billed as a craft beer fest and will supposedly have over 100 beers on tap and pairings and everything:

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:28 pm 

Tonight, Kronenbourg 1664 and Voll-Damm Doble Malta:
http://kronenbourg1664.com/

http://www.volldamm.es/

schizoid
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 1:39 pm 

got a odd one tonight (at least by origin). Belorussian porter, Krinitsa. Not super thick in texture like you may expect with a porter, but rich and chocolatey.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 12:47 pm 

That's a neat looking bottle.

Went to the Great Korean Beer Festival in Seoul today. "Great" is really a pretty strong word for it. A few booths with beer (some Korean craft beer stuff, some booths for importers) and some with food, and a small stage for music. For some reason they only sold 100 "drink as many tastes as you want for $15" tickets and they sold out on Friday, so I had to pay for full-sized beers. Pretty cool vibes though and it was exciting to basically get all of Korea's craft brewing people together in one place. I got to try some beers by all of the noteworthy Korean craft breweries that I hadn't already sampled, which was cool. There's also an importer who's going to start bringing Pizza Port beers to Korea - if they bring Old Viscosity over here I will spend every last goddamn won I make on it. Anyway, on to the beer:

Jejusien - Tamra Beer - This was a light pale ale from Jeju island flavored with the island's famous tangerines and served with a wedge of tangerine. It was fairly fruity stuff so was sort of impossible to really judge as a beer. Refreshing but not really my thing.

Karl Strauss - Tower 10 IPA - Really basic, straightforward IPA. Nothing really to write home about but decent stuff. Leaned more toward the citrusy end of the hops spectrum and was really easy drinking stuff. This stuff is new in Korea by that same importer I mentioned above and I would've been excited to have a bit more variety in the IPA department, but it will likely be expensive and I honestly think that Korean 7brau IPA that just came out recently is a bit better.

Saint Archer - Pale Ale - Another straightforward beer, this one an obvious west coast APA. Basically tasted like a slightly dry-hopped Sierra Nevada pale ale. While this would've been just really average session stuff back home I was super happy to be drinking really well-executed decent pale ale for the first time in far too long so I enjoyed this one a fair bit.

The Hand and Malt - Extra Special Ale - ESB style stuff, nice amber with a hint of ruby color, malt out the ass, sweetish with a hint of caramel and perfectly hopped. Just a really, really tasty brew, and the dudes who worked there were incredibly friendly. Picked up a tulip glass from the booth and they gave me a bag of malt and some other swag, heh.

Big Rock - Scottish Heavy Ale - I was anxious when I was prepping to try this one because wee heavies are one of my favorite beer styles and there's just so many possible ways to fuck up a beer in this style, many of which I wouldn't at all put past a Korean craft brewing scene still in its infancy. Thankfully, this beer was ace. A tiny hint of smoke riding on waves of massive, caramel malt. Just shy of cloying, which is something I've come to love from my favorite beers in the style. I probably would've had three or four of these if my friends weren't eager to head out after basically seeing all there was to see at the festival.

I also had a few imports and stuff by Craftworks out of Seoul that I'd had before. The best news was that all of the good Korean breweries were talking up getting on the bottling/canning game and starting distribution throughout Korea, which is awesome. Hopefully that becomes a reality before too long.

mjaeltbrand
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 3:06 pm 

Just ordered these from a website since I now live in Slovakia and it's hard to get hold of beer unless it's a Slovak or Czech lager:

Mikkeller / Brewdog / Nøgne - Black Tokyo Horizon (Lervig Version)
Mikkeller Beer Geek Breakfast
Mikkeller Beer Geek Vanilla Shake
Mikkeller Cream Ale
Mikkeller Beer Geek Bacon
Orval
Birra del Borgo ReAle Extra
Tripel Karmeliet
Saison Dupont
Meantime Coffee Porter
Nogne O Porter

Haven't had a single one of these beers, but I have had Mikkeller's stuff before and it has always been excellent. All of this cost me like 51 euro, but Black Tokyo was almost 15 euro itself, so I look forward to it.
I view any attempt to keep metal unpopular as false, because I view metal (not only do I view it; I know it to be) as an army looking for recruits. People trying to keep it down are weakening our military.

Red_Death
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 3:29 pm 

mjaeltbrand wrote:
Just ordered these from a website since I now live in Slovakia and it's hard to get hold of beer unless it's a Slovak or Czech lager:

Have you tried dark Kozel? Apart from ice hockey and Depresy, it's the symbol of Slovakia in my mind :beer:

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61 ... 86  Next