Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:54 am 

So Maiden is coming out with Trooper ale.

Watch - http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10151598877693714

TheJizzHammer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:49 pm 

Spoiler: show

This beer is brewed in New York. I'm not sure of it's availability country or worldwide, but definitely try this if you get a chance (assuming you like stouts). I don't think it's too hard to find. The aroma is very chocolatey with a hint of coffee, and the flavor is pretty much equal parts coffee and chocolate. A very relaxing drink after a hard day at work - and it makes a great dessert beer. Also, the 11.2% ABV will put you in a very good place.

I'd pour it into a glass to show the color but my girlfriend is in the kitchen with her friends and that's an interaction I don't care to have.

MacMoney
Man of the Cloth

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:12 am 

TheJizzHammer wrote:
*Southern Tier Mokah*

This beer is brewed in New York. I'm not sure of it's availability country or worldwide, but definitely try this if you get a chance (assuming you like stouts). I don't think it's too hard to find. The aroma is very chocolatey with a hint of coffee, and the flavor is pretty much equal parts coffee and chocolate. A very relaxing drink after a hard day at work - and it makes a great dessert beer. Also, the 11.2% ABV will put you in a very good place.

Definitely would if I could lay my hands on any without paying through the nose. Southern Tier in general is quality.

shouvince wrote:
So Maiden is coming out with Trooper ale.

At 4,7% they've made sure it'll get to the regular shops in Finland and Norway. Probably not a very interesting beer though.

Woolie_Wool
Facets of Predictability

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:49 am 

I would highly recommend Einbecker Winter Bock to anyone who likes German beers in general and doppelbocks in particular. I'd say it's a lot like Schloss Eggenberg's doppelbocks, but more balanced and less like a punch in the face (Samichlaus is nice on occasion, but it's so one-dimensional and extreme you wouldn't want to have it that often, not to mention the price). It's absolutely delicious on a cool day.

Also the bottle design and label look really sweet.

Bezerko wrote:
Earthcubed wrote:
too hoppy.

DOES NOT COMPUTE.

It will if you ever try Dogfish Head 90 Minute IPA. That shit's like grapefruit juice. :ugh:

UltraBoris wrote:
only Dio is real.

Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:08 am 

TheJizzHammer wrote:

I'd pour it into a glass to show the color but my girlfriend is in the kitchen with her friends and that's an interaction I don't care to have.

This one is absolutely worth pouring into a glass, the smell of it is amazing and you don't get enough of it from a bottle. My favorite of Southern Tier's Blackwater series is the Creme Brulee Stout, it's a real treat and I have it every once in a while. Exceptional stuff, I'm glad it's as easy to find as it is now, when I first had one, I was told that very little made it to this state and the high volume store I bought it from only managed to get one case.

Drinking Sierra Nevada Bigfoot Ale tonight, a barleywine that's good without being aged as it's not too harsh. A bit of edge from the yeast and the alcohol, but a full taste, not overwhelming like Brooklyn's Monster Ale.

Evangelion2014
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:29 am 

Zodijackyl wrote:
TheJizzHammer wrote:

This one is absolutely worth pouring into a glass, the smell of it is amazing and you don't get enough of it from a bottle. My favorite of Southern Tier's Blackwater series is the Creme Brulee Stout, it's a real treat and I have it every once in a while. Exceptional stuff, I'm glad it's as easy to find as it is now, when I first had one, I was told that very little made it to this state and the high volume store I bought it from only managed to get one case.

Drinking Sierra Nevada Bigfoot Ale tonight, a barleywine that's good without being aged as it's not too harsh. A bit of edge from the yeast and the alcohol, but a full taste, not overwhelming like Brooklyn's Monster Ale.

I had brooklyn's monster ale, and it tasted like a cross between an IPA and a barleywine although in general it's a little to thin and acidic. If you're in the PA area, you won't like weyerbacher's blithering idiot, the alcohol from that has a serious burn; though the barrel aged version called insanity is very good. For stuff a little more generally available, there's Stone's old gaon turdian, thicker and less sweet than most barleywines, and duck rabbit barleywine, with takes a normal barleywine and adds a roundy slightly hoppy orange flavor too it capped by a dry finish. Also, if you're a fan of big beers in general, I just got these snifters and they're great (on top of the awesome libbey 'belgian ale' they're basically tall tulipds; glasses you can get at wegmans that I use):

http://www.truebeer.com/Snifter-Beer-Gl ... p_575.html Still on sale.

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:45 pm 

Woolie_Wool wrote:

I'd say it's a lot like Schloss Eggenberg's doppelbocks, but more balanced and less like a punch in the face (Samichlaus is nice on occasion, but it's so one-dimensional and extreme you wouldn't want to have it that often, not to mention the price).

You ever have either of the Samichlaus beers with some serious age on them? Like five years? Pretty unreal, though it's more like an English barleywine at that age.

Woolie wrote:
Bezerko wrote:

DOES NOT COMPUTE.

It will if you ever try Dogfish Head 90 Minute IPA. That shit's like grapefruit juice. :ugh:

That's actually one of the most balanced IPA's out there for its strength. If you thought that was rough, never try Devil Dancer. Or Ruination. Or Resin (yes, they actually named it that). Actually, there's probably a lot of American IPA's you wouldn't care for.

I'm just not really a fan of hoppy brown ales. There's a whole world of nutty caramel flavors that hops just wreck.

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:04 pm 

On the subject of barleywine, when it was fresh this one-time release was and is and will always be the best ever, ever. Ever.

Seriously, absolutely nothing compares. Age a wheated bourbon for 23 years in oak barrels, then age an imperial stout in those barrels for 2 years, then age a barleywine in those barrels for around 9 months. There will never be another. Out of about 900 reviews on Beer Advocate, it's average score is 100%.

For the more readily-available stuff, I like JW Lees Harvest Ale a lot though you have to wait about a decade for it to peak (it's also not cheap). North Coast Old Stock Ale is also tasty. For more regular consumption, I think Anchor Old Foghorn is probably the smoothest fresh barleywine around, most are pretty uneven when fresh.

The 1999 was a great year too.Image

Old and new labelsImage

Evangelion2014
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:00 pm 

Earthcubed wrote:
On the subject of barleywine, when it was fresh this one-time release was and is and will always be the best ever, ever. Ever.

Seriously, absolutely nothing compares. Age a wheated bourbon for 23 years in oak barrels, then age an imperial stout in those barrels for 2 years, then age a barleywine in those barrels for around 9 months. There will never be another. Out of about 900 reviews on Beer Advocate, it's average score is 100%.

For the more readily-available stuff, I like JW Lees Harvest Ale a lot though you have to wait about a decade for it to peak (it's also not cheap). North Coast Old Stock Ale is also tasty. For more regular consumption, I think Anchor Old Foghorn is probably the smoothest fresh barleywine around, most are pretty uneven when fresh.

The 1999 was a great year too.Image

Old and new labelsImage

Only thing is, that goose island is owned by budweiser now. But if I came across a limited release like that I could shelve my guilt.

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:00 am 

Currently drinking the Figjam IPA by Burleigh Brewing Co. and I must admit that I am liking it quite a lot. I have had this before, but it seems to me it could be getting some more attention, as the flavour is delicious - not too bitter, but with enough wonderful fruity nature to carry it's own weight, whilst still paying homage to the hops. Bloody well drinkable.

My collection

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:17 pm 

Evangelion2014 wrote:
Only thing is, that goose island is owned by budweiser now. But if I came across a limited release like that I could shelve my guilt.

I've been drinking them for years and there's been absolutely no decline in quality at all. They've brewed one (apparently) bad batch of Night Stalker, that's it. And if they made King Henry again the exact same way and I knew beforehand it would taste the same, I would readily pay twice what I paid for it last time.

In other news, Stone Old Guardian Oak-Smoked Barleywine 2013 tastes like a hoppy rauchbier with chipotle peppers added. Seriously. No hint of barleywine whatsoever. Damn tasty though.

Evangelion2014
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:13 am 

Earthcubed wrote:
Evangelion2014 wrote:

I've been drinking them for years and there's been absolutely no decline in quality at all. They've brewed one (apparently) bad batch of Night Stalker, that's it. And if they made King Henry again the exact same way and I knew beforehand it would taste the same, I would readily pay twice what I paid for it last time.

In other news, Stone Old Guardian Oak-Smoked Barleywine 2013 tastes like a hoppy rauchbier with chipotle peppers added. Seriously. No hint of barleywine whatsoever. Damn tasty though.

Quality isn't he issue, it's more the idea of giving money to ABinbev.

Woolie_Wool
Facets of Predictability

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:49 pm 

Evangelion2014 wrote:
Quality isn't he issue, it's more the idea of giving money to ABinbev.

Poor Spaten... :(

UltraBoris wrote:
only Dio is real.

Bezerko
Vladimir Poopin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:07 am 

Picked up a couple of bottles of Young's Double Chocolate Stout and Sierra Nevada's Northern Harvest Ale since they were back in stock at one of the locals. Both very nice beers.

MacMoney
Man of the Cloth

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:55 am 

Earthcubed wrote:

Really wanna try this. Love the regular Old Guardian, but a smoky one would be great as well, I imagine.

Bezerko wrote:
Picked up a couple of bottles of Young's Double Chocolate Stout and Sierra Nevada's Northern Harvest Ale since they were back in stock at one of the locals. Both very nice beers.

Agreed on the latter, not too keen on the former. The chocolate flavor is too artificial.

Bezerko
Vladimir Poopin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:41 am 

I treat it as essentially a dessert beer. It was very pleasant with some oat and raisin biscuits last night.

But yeah, way better stouts around. The Young's doesn't have the coffee flavours and sharpness I like in my stout. Hoping to be blown away by some imperial stouts later in the week (super keen).

MushroomStamp
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:18 pm 

I bought another set of local beers for tonight. First contender is Stallhagen US Red Ale (6.0% alc.vol).

It tastes like... red ale. Very, very generic. Since it's so unoffensive, this would be a very good beer for getting smashed at a gig, but as I'm at home and expecting to taste something interesting, this is a rather dull experience. Better than macrobrew lagers but only by a small margin.

MushroomStamp
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:12 pm 

Stallhagen Baltic Porter.

They've taken Koff Porter and added water. I'm disliking this brewery. The only distinctive feature is the 7.0% alcohol content.

Napero
GedankenPanzer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:20 pm 

Stallhagen sucks. No exceptions.

ModusOperandi
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:27 pm 

With the cold snap and some slight snow tonight, I figured it would be as good of a time as any to finish off my leftover winter ales over the next couple of days. Tonight I'm working on some Mt. Carmel Winter Ale, out of Cincinnati, OH. Nothing special, gives way to the ginger more than traditional spices with a slightly off mouthfeel underneath the tongue, but the ruby red color is attractive and fulfills its description as a winter warmer. The 8.0% ABV, while certainly not the heaviest you'll find in winter seasonals, does its job as the alcohol taste doesn't rise to the surface staying hidden underneath the rest of the flavors. I have a sixer of an old reliable - Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale, an IPA - to make haste with before the weather shifts for good as well.

AT FIRST, I'M NOT AN IDIOT, MORE RESPECT.

Metallumz
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:03 pm 

Its probobally already been mentioned but Iron Maiden are brewing 'the Trooper' ale literally just down the road from here at the Robinsons Brewery in Stockport (England). Meant to be released around April time nationally.

Napero
GedankenPanzer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:34 am 

I tried the Motörhead beer a week ago. Waste of money, that one. Weak taste, quite expensive, few redeeming features. Meh.

Evangelion2014
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:09 am 

Napero wrote:
I tried the Motörhead beer a week ago. Waste of money, that one. Weak taste, quite expensive, few redeeming features. Meh.

Apparently it's an american adjunct lager; a style I really just write off completely considering I know what I'm going to get that is a watery lager with rice/corn. That's pretty dissapointing, considering they really just made another generic swill beer and then slapped the motorhead name on to jack up the price.

It kind of reminds me of the romulan ale beer some mexican brewery owned by Miller made:http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/romulan-ale/3372/. Every review I've read of it has said it's awful, it's pretty much just a bottom of the barrel lager with a whole bunch of blue food coloring thrown in. Could they at least have made Romulan ale AN ACTUAL ALE? I feel sorry for all the trekkies that bought it because of the name: it would be a cool idea if someone had pulled it off. A 12%+ abv ale of some kind of experimental style I think would do the lore of the drink well but unfortunately nobody is going to try to cash in on this again =/

Speaking of metal and beer, this brewery 'trve brewing' recently sprang up and I'm on the other side of the country from them, anyone had something from them? The prehistoric dog, hollow idol, diatoma and atma seem interesting, though as a newbie brewery they might be reaching too far. Here's their website:

http://trvebrewing.com/brews

Stout O))))) gave me a laugh.

TheJizzHammer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:58 pm 

Enjoying this right now. Samuel Smiths is my all-time favorite brewery, and this is my go-to beer for week days. Nice and heavy with a higher ABV to put you in the right place for winding down. It's a great combination of bitter, heavy, and smooth. Bitter and smooth usually aren't compatible but it works well with this one.

MacMoney
Man of the Cloth

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:12 am 

Stallhagen can be quite underwhelming, but their Dunkles is the best out of Finland and can duke it out with the best of Germans and Bohemians. The Red Ale was alright as was the Baltic Porter, good representatives of their styles though, the Baltic Porter just loses hands down to the likes of Sinebrychoff Porter or Malmgård's X-Porter.

The Motörhead beer actually isn't an adjunct lager, as far as I know. At least not the one sold here. It's made in Sweden so it definitely isn't made with rice or corn, perhaps there's barley starch as an adjunct. I don't really care for such crap beer so I haven't bothered to check. The Trooper Ale probably won't be as bad, but it'll be a forgettable bitter, nothing more.

TheJizzHammer wrote:
Enjoying this right now. Samuel Smiths is my all-time favorite brewery, and this is my go-to beer for week days. Nice and heavy with a higher ABV to put you in the right place for winding down. It's a great combination of bitter, heavy, and smooth. Bitter and smooth usually aren't compatible but it works well with this one.

I really like Sam Smith's Imperial Stout. A bit low ABV for the style, but that's a positive thing in my book. Less of that salty liquorice, alcoholic burn (salmari comes to mind for Finns) and more of a roasted, burnt bread as well as coffee. Nils Oscar's Imperial Stout is quite similar. As for bitter and smooth... Well, it's a good combo that I find in a lot of stouts these days.

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:06 am 

Picked these up tonight:

Floreffe Prima Melior (strong ale apparently), and a Ballast Point Big Eye IPA. Floreffe I have never had before, and it boasts a 8% ABV, so we'll see... but Ballast Point I have, mind you it was their porter and not the IPA, but still, this promises to be good. I also bought an entire case Of Stone & Wood's pacific ale, at $67 a case it's a little on the pricey side, but it's the long weekend! Money be damned!

My collection

MacMoney
Man of the Cloth

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:11 am 

I had the Big Eye from tap when I was in Vegas for a convention at this fish food restaurant. Being in the middle of the desert, I can't imagine the (jelly)fish being too fresh, but it was still great and the beer was just superb and that definitely was fresh.

How many bottles are in a case of that price?

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:29 am 

Twenty four 330ml bottles per case. Usual case price is around the mid forty dollar mark, but that is (mostly) for rubbish brews. The Big Eye was nice, I liked it, with it's rather robust flavour, and it's hot and stormy as hell down here, so it went down quite good.

My collection

Bezerko
Vladimir Poopin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:58 am 

I'd pay $67 for a case of Pacific Ale. Easily one of the most sessionable Australian beers out there - probably the perfect summer beer.

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:38 am 

Damn straight. Drinking it right now, onto my third already :drool: :beer:

My collection

MushroomStamp
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:02 pm 

More Oak Porter from Malmgård. I've found a new favourite... for now

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:27 am 

Had another Stone Oak-Smoked Old Guardian last night. Damn is that shit good. A bit warm but nothing unpleasant. It will be interesting to see how it ages.

AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:33 pm 

Drinking xx amber right now, not bad but wish walmart had better options.

Poisonfume
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:14 pm 

Presenting Yellow Donkey Beer, local to the island of Santorini in the Aegean archipelago. I took this picture last summer. Not bad at all.

Evangelion2014
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:06 am 

Had this again for my birthday:

Even better the second time around now that I have a sturdy snifter instead of just a pint glass, taste is bunches of grapes, orange, cherry, a pinch of smoke, spice and brown sugar, the barest touch of hops and lively carbonation. It again, lives up to the hype.

Woolie_Wool
Facets of Predictability

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:20 am 

Aside from the striking red color and um, unusual label design, this is a pretty pedestrian bock. Still might be worth trying out if you really like maibocks or want a beer that will start awkward conversations with your guests.

UltraBoris wrote:
only Dio is real.

Evangelion2014
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:49 pm 

Woolie_Wool wrote:

Aside from the striking red color and um, unusual label design, this is a pretty pedestrian bock. Still might be worth trying out if you really like maibocks or want a beer that will start awkward conversations with your guests.

Huh, I've never had a maibock, but like my eisobocks, doppelbocks and weizenbocks. Maybe I should check it out.

Anyone know of a good, really malt heavy english brown ale? Most craft examples in the US are pretty hop heavy, and when I want hops I head for my ruination. I mean, I guess you can rec some hoppy american exmaples if they are execeptional I suppose. I really liked sam smith's brown ale, as well as alesmith's brown ale. Tommyknocker imperial brown ale was almost perfect except for the added maple syrup. Basically, anyone know a good malty or imperial brown ale with reasonable hop levels (herbal english hops are ok, and hoppy american examples are ok if really good). I'm in east PA so that might rule a few breweries out.

MacMoney
Man of the Cloth

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:33 am 

Evangelion2014 wrote:
Huh, I've never had a maibock, but like my eisobocks, doppelbocks and weizenbocks. Maybe I should check it out.

Maibocks are nothing like the three other type of bocks you mentioned. Really, weizenbocks - as well as eisbocks, which are supposedly just frozen weizenbocks - have nothing to do with the regular bocks except the strength. They're brewed with top-fermenting wheat ale yeast while regular bocks are made with bottom-fermenting yeast and are lagered.

Evangelion2014 wrote:
Anyone know of a good, really malt heavy english brown ale? Most craft examples in the US are pretty hop heavy, and when I want hops I head for my ruination. I mean, I guess you can rec some hoppy american exmaples if they are execeptional I suppose. I really liked sam smith's brown ale, as well as alesmith's brown ale. Tommyknocker imperial brown ale was almost perfect except for the added maple syrup. Basically, anyone know a good malty or imperial brown ale with reasonable hop levels (herbal english hops are ok, and hoppy american examples are ok if really good). I'm in east PA so that might rule a few breweries out.

As for this, well, I'm not terribly familiar with all the different kinds of American brews and what's available in your area, but Lagunitas WTF is pretty damn tasty though it does fall on the hoppier end of the scale. Besides that, there's of course the Sierra Nevada Tumbler, Rogue's Hazelnut Brown Nectar, Cigar City's Maduro, Big Sky's Moose Drool and Surly's Bender. Again, SN is definitely available at your area, not sure if it's still an Autumn seasonal.

wrathchild_88
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:09 am 

Got this pack of 12 for my birthday, with a glass and 2 coasters. "He was a wise man who invented beer." :-D I look forward to trying them all. Apart from that Blueberry one. I'm sure it'll be interesting.

Should have used a better camera really.

Woolie_Wool
Facets of Predictability

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:19 am 

MacMoney wrote:
Evangelion2014 wrote:

Maibocks are nothing like the three other type of bocks you mentioned. Really, weizenbocks - as well as eisbocks, which are supposedly just frozen weizenbocks - have nothing to do with the regular bocks except the strength. They're brewed with top-fermenting wheat ale yeast while regular bocks are made with bottom-fermenting yeast and are lagered.

I would think the wheat malt used in weizenbocks would be an even bigger difference..

UltraBoris wrote:
only Dio is real.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24 ... 86  Next