Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
The Ardbeg Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:20 am 

I can very much recommend this one. It kicked my ass.

Torghest666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 5:42 pm 

iamntbatman wrote:
You do know that stouts *are* ales, right?

Many would not agree with this assertion.

iamntbatman wrote:
Everything that's not a lager is an ale.

And this is undoubtedly not right: Lambic are not lager nor ale, and there may be different points of view regarding Kölsch, Altbier and California Common.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:12 pm 

Haha, alright, well nitpicking aside, I've never heard anyone argue that stouts are not ales. Also the point was that he seemed under the impression that "ale" means "super hoppy" which is just not remotely accurate.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

MacMoney
Man of the Cloth

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:38 pm 

The Ardbeg Wizard wrote:
*Põhjala Pimee Öö*

While Põhjala are pretty great and the best brewer to come out of Estonia, Pimee Öö was just way, way too sugary to be good. A lot of imperial stouts are rather sweet, but Pimee Öö just tasted like someone mixed about two parts sugar with three parts of a proper imperial stout.

Torghest666 wrote:
iamntbatman wrote:

Based on? While your exceptions are valid, claiming stouts are not ales is just... plain wrong.

TheMysticWombat
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 4:17 am 

iamntbatman wrote:
You do know that stouts *are* ales, right? Everything that's not a lager is an ale.

man where do you learn these things, teach me

Went to Grill Em All (great metal themed burger place!) and ended up getting a Stone Americano Stout. Gotta admit it wasn't that bad and since it was pretty hot it started hitting fast :-D

Need to find the Imperial Russian of theirs.

TadGhostal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:55 am 

Torghest666 wrote:
iamntbatman wrote:

iamntbatman wrote:
Everything that's not a lager is an ale.

And this is undoubtedly not right: Lambic are not lager nor ale, and there may be different points of view regarding Kölsch, Altbier and California Common.

All beers are either ales or lagers. It has to do with the fermenting process. Ales are warm, top fermented beers, lagers are cold, bottom fermented beers. Stouts, lambics, kolsches, and Altbiers are ales. California common is a lager.

EDIT: You can find a good explanation and list of various ale and lager styles here: http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/style/

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:14 pm 

TheMysticWombat wrote:
MacMoney wrote:
Hmm?

It's always something I hear from IPA lovers, which contributes more to my hate for them.

Odd that this would increase your hate. They do tend to be higher in APV%, so there's a bang-for-buck aspect to them. Lagunitas has some good ones, but I'm a wimp when it comes to them. I'm really picky and it tends to be the milder ones that I like the best, though I'll try anything once. But yeah, CA is lousy with IPA. Hop addicts are truly in the land of plenty.

I've been drinking a lot of Pilsners (Trumer's my go-to these days as I get older and weaker by the day), Kölshes, and assorted lagers lately. Had a litre of Spotted Cow again for the first time in a year. Just haven't been feeling the big flavors too much for some reason.

~Guest 375103
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 3:36 pm 

I enjoy beers from all over the world. From Europe to the United States and Japan…

Last edited by ~Guest 375103 on Sun Jul 10, 2016 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:24 pm 

TadGhostal wrote:
All beers are either ales or lagers. It has to do with the fermenting process. Ales are warm, top fermented beers, lagers are cold, bottom fermented beers. Stouts, lambics, kolsches, and Altbiers are ales. California common is a lager.

EDIT: You can find a good explanation and list of various ale and lager styles here: http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/style/

This is a very American-centric way of thinking. The explosion of American craft beer combined with the English language's status as a lingua franca is the only reason this ale-lager distinction spread. And it's a conception that didn't even exist in the US until the late 70's. "Ale" is a quintessentially British English term that properly should only be used to describe types of English beer. "Lager" is simply a process for cold-aging beer (the word merely means storage). One can lager any top-fermented beer if one chooses to and in fact several German brewers do this for top-fermented beers. Moreover, most German brewers of top-fermented beer balk at their beers being called "ales" by Americans.

If you want to separate beer based on fermentation, it should properly be done using terms like "top-fermenting," "bottom-fermenting," "brett fermenting," or "mixed fermenting."

Norrmania
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:45 pm 

I've been enjoying a few local Ontario beers lately. I recently discovered Grand River Brewing from Galt, have been drinking a lot of their Tailgate and Red Tail Ale. Tailgate isn't particularly special but just nice and crisp for the summer. The Red Tail has a very nice taste though. Definitely would recommend.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:53 pm 

Earthcubed wrote:
If you want to separate beer based on fermentation, it should properly be done using terms like "top-fermenting," "bottom-fermenting," "brett fermenting," or "mixed fermenting."

Right, but the linguistic damage has already been done. Those terms are all too goddamn long anyway!

MacMoney
Man of the Cloth

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 12:45 am 

iamntbatman wrote:
Earthcubed wrote:

Right, but the linguistic damage has already been done. Those terms are all too goddamn long anyway!

Yes. Earthcubued, get down with the American cultural hegemony already and stop being such a communist!

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 4:19 am 

I think the more important thing here is that your typical beer enthusiasts are not going to distinguish beer that way, or even know how. So sure, bust out all the fancy terms you want but if the dude says he doesn't like lagers or whatever he's talking about the American style lager.

Azmodes wrote:
It combines two of my favourite things: penis innuendo and derigin.

The Ardbeg Wizard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 12:54 pm 

MacMoney wrote:

While Põhjala are pretty great and the best brewer to come out of Estonia, Pimee Öö was just way, way too sugary to be good. A lot of imperial stouts are rather sweet, but Pimee Öö just tasted like someone mixed about two parts sugar with three parts of a proper imperial stout.

That's just your opinion, maing

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:29 pm 

No it isn't.

Torghest666
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 5:22 pm 

Earthcubed wrote:
TadGhostal wrote:

This is a very American-centric way of thinking. The explosion of American craft beer combined with the English language's status as a lingua franca is the only reason this ale-lager distinction spread. And it's a conception that didn't even exist in the US until the late 70's. "Ale" is a quintessentially British English term that properly should only be used to describe types of English beer. "Lager" is simply a process for cold-aging beer (the word merely means storage). One can lager any top-fermented beer if one chooses to and in fact several German brewers do this for top-fermented beers. Moreover, most German brewers of top-fermented beer balk at their beers being called "ales" by Americans.

I couldn't have explained it better.

German people denominate their top-fermenting beers Kölsch and Alt as Obergäriges Lagerbier, and should be definitely classified as "lager" (anyone who tastes a proper example should agree). Regarding Lambic, the whole proccess of fermentation has nothing to do with the other two groups. The yeasts are different, also are the times, the recipients and obviously the results, and therefore should be considered a brand different genre.

BeerAdvocate is not a trustworthy source of information, and neither is RateBeer or even the BJCP. They fail on basic aspects, and almost any slight difference is used as an excuse to make a new beer style up.

schizoid
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 10:43 am 

Just had the infamous peat smoked Rex Attitude, by Yeastie Boys. Smells funky as hell, taste is not quite as strange, but certainly odd. It was only ever going to be a once off drink anyway, as I think it's probably designed to be.

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 10:54 am 

My uncle just gave me a bottle of 2009 Goose Island Matilda, which had been sitting in his cabin fridge for some time. Quite interested in cracking this after the move on Saturday.

~Guest 389043
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 3:43 am 

Been in Iapan so that means easy drinking no taste macro lagers. Probably nearly four cases in 10 days.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 9:46 pm 

Why, when there is such a wealth of interesting beer there? I was only there for a short while and had some good stuff. Here:

http://www.metal-archives.com/board/viewtopic.php?p=2594025#p2594025

Three posts worth of interesting to excellent Japanese beers!

~Guest 389043
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 11:22 pm 

iamntbatman wrote:
Why, when there is such a wealth of interesting beer there? I was only there for a short while and had some good stuff. Here:

http://www.metal-archives.com/board/viewtopic.php?p=2594025#p2594025

Three posts worth of interesting to excellent Japanese beers!

Depends where you go. In rural Japan (where my better half comes from) it is hard to find anything else. Of course, back in the cities it is a smorgasboard. Spent the past week in Tokyo and went to a couple of bars (American Beer Bar which is ok for big western IPAs and Good Beer Faucets - had a Baird Beer stout on handpump which was great). I'll read what you have linked me shortly. Cheers.

Crystal_Logic
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 6:24 pm 

Norrmania wrote:
I've been enjoying a few local Ontario beers lately. I recently discovered Grand River Brewing from Galt, have been drinking a lot of their Tailgate and Red Tail Ale. Tailgate isn't particularly special but just nice and crisp for the summer. The Red Tail has a very nice taste though. Definitely would recommend.

What is the Toronto scene like? Heading there on holiday in 18 months, hope to sample as much as possible.

For my birthday my girlfriend got us a trip to a small hotel in the middle of nowhere on the Atlantic Coast which has the Kinnegar Brewery taproom from a small brewery as their bar, and a trip to the actual brewery as well. Fantastic.

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 12:30 am 

I wish there were more beers aged in apple brandy barrels (including calvados). I feel like an abbey triple aged in those could turn out really fucking good.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 11:08 am 

Maybe I'll have a few interesting beers to report back on after heading to Vietnam for a week. We'll see!

caspian
Old Man Yells at Car Park

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 12:53 am 

https://www.instagram.com/underwhelmingbeerblog/?hl=en

Just a quick plug, I started a little beer review thing on instagram for when I try something new and tasty. Trying to keep it non-pretentious and featuring beers most people here (including australians) probably haven't tried. Currently having a Sierra Nevada Hop Hunter, and I'm rather enjoying it; I've been quite used to having double/imperial IPAs for a while now so it's nice to sip on something that's flavoursome but not about ripping your head off with hops. A lot like the Feral Hop Hog, which only makes sense if you're from WA but oh well.

https://strangercountry.bandcamp.com/al ... the-chebar new album! Power shoegaze? Dream-doom???

ModusOperandi
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 6:42 pm 

I lucked out with one of my local shops not only having Bell's The Oracle available, but they let me buy a case of it! Most stores around me that are fortunate to get it will only sell single bottles and even limit to no more than 2 per customer.

Between that and a bomber each of 3F's Cimmerian Berzerker and Apocalypse Cow, I'll be very satisfied for a good while.

AT FIRST, I'M NOT AN IDIOT, MORE RESPECT.

Waltz_of_Ghouls
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 8:52 pm 

Earthcubed wrote:
I wish there were more beers aged in apple brandy barrels (including calvados). I feel like an abbey triple aged in those could turn out really fucking good.

I don't know where you're from, but if you're ever able to grab one of these, do not hesitate!

http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/le-trou-du-diable-buteuse-brassin-special-brandy-oak/98596/

I've also tried this one, but it is sadly not available anymore (and impossible to find outside of Quebec anyway)

http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/pit-caribou-la-calvadeuse/315827/

Both were quite divine.

The Red Tower
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 12:13 pm 

I got myself two of this Hacker-Pschorr Oktoberfest Märzen for tonight. It's already in stores (like since three weeks ago) and imho a pretty tasty beer that flows down the throat effortlessly and pleasingly. Anyone of you got his hands on this one in the past?

Cheers!

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 11:35 pm 

caspian wrote:
https://www.instagram.com/underwhelmingbeerblog/?hl=en

Just a quick plug, I started a little beer review thing on instagram for when I try something new and tasty. Trying to keep it non-pretentious and featuring beers most people here (including australians) probably haven't tried. Currently having a Sierra Nevada Hop Hunter, and I'm rather enjoying it; I've been quite used to having double/imperial IPAs for a while now so it's nice to sip on something that's flavoursome but not about ripping your head off with hops. A lot like the Feral Hop Hog, which only makes sense if you're from WA but oh well.

Shit I've never even heard of that Sierra Nevada Mallaird's before and I normally like keeping up with their rarer stuff (sitting on a BA Narwhal and BA Bigfoot right now.) Any idea if that $55 is standard price or was it marked up for sale across the pond?

~Guest 361478
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 4:04 pm 

I don't generally drink this kind of citrus-y stuff, but I did buy a can of the below;

I felt like it'd sent me a sign...

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 12:29 am 

Well, Vietnamese beer was almost totally a huge let-down. Almost exclusively American-style macro lagers. The sort of interesting thing is that there are at least three different regional ones - Bia Ha Noi up north, Huda beer in central Vietnam around Hue and Bia Saigon in the south. I prefer Ha Noi to Saigon, but the really light, crisp Huda was really pretty perfect in that sweltering weather. I did get a chance to try an old favorite though: Dai Viet. Had both their regular lager and their Dark, which is actually an alt. The lager is pretty interesting really, creamier and more grainy than usual in a kind of pleasant way, though I can see how it hasn't caught on like the more refreshing, crisp stuff in the Vietnam heat. The Dark was just as good as I remembered it being. Think a regular alt, a bit sweet and fruity, mixed with a really grainy milk stout or something like that, but then a couple of shades lighter than that mixture would imply. Really unique beer that I wish I had more opportunities to try.

Still though, beers in Vietnam are about $0.50 a pop even at a bar, so there's not much complaining to do.

schizoid
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 12:49 am 

I'm not really sure what you expected. Though I've never been to Vietnam, my experience in SE Asian countries is that you've got to search pretty hard to find anything outside of basic lagers.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 12:53 am 

I dunno, I vaguely remembered reading somewhere that it was common in Vietnam for little mom 'n' pop restaurants to have locally brewed draft beer on the cheap. This stuff: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bia_h%C6%A1i

I mean, I guess I did drink some of that, but it was just basic lager stuff and nothing to write home about, though it was cheap!

schizoid
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 12:59 am 

I did once drink at a couple of international beer bars in Manila that specialize in imports. Wasn't cheap though, like their local brews. Philippines is a little further ahead in that regard, San Miguel doing a dark and a few fruit varieties, off the top of my head.

Malaysia, the situation is a lot crapper. It's all just Heineken and Skol everywhere, and Guiness and Hoegaarden if you really search. Being a Muslim country, the price is regulated a bit higher than others in the region too.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 11:25 pm 

Hah yeah I mean I could find imports in Vietnam about as easily as I can here in Korea. I actually went to the bar near the very top of the Bitexco building in Ho Chi Minh City to find beer prices there that were literally ten times what they are at any little bar in the city, but being Vietnam that still meant the drinks were about on par with what I'd pay in a club in Korea or some fancy bar back home. I had some guy in a vest pour me a bottle of Affligem Dubble into a wine glass and only paid about $7. Not bad!

MacMoney
Man of the Cloth

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 2:51 am 

iamntbatman wrote:
I had some guy in a vest pour me a bottle of Affligem Dubble into a wine glass and only paid about $7. Not bad!

Did he offer it to you without a glass first?

schizoid
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 3:01 am 

finally got around to getting one of these to try. I'm expecting the worst.

UPDATE: Oh yeah, this shit is ghetto as fuck. But I still seem to remember the Oettinger Super Strong being more undrinkable. Probably my memory playing tricks on me though.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 10:06 pm 

MacMoney wrote:
Did he offer it to you without a glass first?

Not even! Came right out with the beer and the glass on a tray.

BrutalizerUtilizerOfTheShadows
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 12:56 pm 

Any Shiner fans here? I love their Oktoberfest (can't wait for it to return) and Bohemian Black Lager:

Spoiler: show

They had a badass Hefeweizen a few years ago but stopped producing it for some reason.

BarrelAged
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 11:40 am 

Hey all, figured I'd go ahead and post in this thread given my name haha and the fact that I work at a microbrewery. Got a pretty sweet local beer lined up for tonight a key lime pie gose by Westbrook brewing in Mt. pleasant SC. I've had it before, super fucking tart, but if sours are your thing I highly recommend it!

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76 ... 86  Next