Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Naught
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 3:28 am 

Nebraska Brewing Company's EOS Hefeweizen is fantastic; I highly recommend trying this beer if you have the chance. I am not too fond of hefeweizein wheat beers, but this particular one rings a pleasant tune to my taste buds. Not to mention, the beer is served in a small can, where the entire top portion of the can is popped off for accessible enjoyment.

BarrelAged
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 3:30 pm 

Just had another gose from Westbrook brewingin SC. A margarita gose, it's there original gose aged in tequila barrels with fresh limes and salt added right before bottling. Fuck, best gose I ever had, hands down.

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 3:34 pm 

You know, I have been making great strides in expanding my beer palate of late but I just cannot get behind goses. Even the supposedly best varieties just make me think of sweat...

BarrelAged
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 6:35 pm 

Hmm, I've always been a huge fan of all sours. I guess I could see a certain sweaty quality because of the saltiness. But trust me, this one was delicious. The tequila and lime shined through perfectly, and I swear you could almost give it to some and tell them it's an actual margarita and they wouldn't know.

caspian
Old Man Yells at Car Park

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 6:32 am 

Smoking_Gnu wrote:
Shit I've never even heard of that Sierra Nevada Mallaird's before and I normally like keeping up with their rarer stuff (sitting on a BA Narwhal and BA Bigfoot right now.) Any idea if that $55 is standard price or was it marked up for sale across the pond?

Oh man, the markup in oz is brutal. I'd be surprised if it's more than $20 in the US.

https://strangercountry.bandcamp.com/al ... the-chebar new album! Power shoegaze? Dream-doom???

MacMoney
Man of the Cloth

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 7:02 am 

caspian wrote:
Smoking_Gnu wrote:
Shit I've never even heard of that Sierra Nevada Mallaird's before and I normally like keeping up with their rarer stuff (sitting on a BA Narwhal and BA Bigfoot right now.) Any idea if that $55 is standard price or was it marked up for sale across the pond?

Oh man, the markup in oz is brutal. I'd be surprised if it's more than $20 in the US.

On a quick look, 15 USD at CostCo.

BarrelAged wrote:
The tequila and lime shined through perfectly, and I swear you could almost give it to some and tell them it's an actual margarita and they wouldn't know.

But in that case, wouldn't you rather just have, you know, a margarita? I'm all for different kinds of flavors in beer, but when you just emulate an already existing, alcoholic beverage, I dunno...

caspian
Old Man Yells at Car Park

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 7:05 am 

Man, I had a mojito flavoured beer once... Awful. Awful! Go for the real thing.

Smoking Gnu, what's the ba bigfoot like? I reckon the normal bigfoots are my favourite beer, just so.. perfect.

https://strangercountry.bandcamp.com/al ... the-chebar new album! Power shoegaze? Dream-doom???

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 7:10 am 

Will go to buy some just now, after I leave work.
Guess which one? Yes, Affligem Dubbel. :beer:

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 10:09 am 

caspian wrote:
Man, I had a mojito flavoured beer once... Awful. Awful! Go for the real thing.

Smoking Gnu, what's the ba bigfoot like? I reckon the normal bigfoots are my favourite beer, just so.. perfect.

Haven't tried it yet since I'm waiting to age mine for a few more months, but my friends who have all say it's great. The whiskey barrel aging makes it a little sharper and less creamy than bourbon barrel aging, apparently.

BarrelAged
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:54 pm 

MacMoney wrote:
BarrelAged wrote:
The tequila and lime shined through perfectly, and I swear you could almost give it to some and tell them it's an actual margarita and they wouldn't know.

But in that case, wouldn't you rather just have, you know, a margarita? I'm all for different kinds of flavors in beer, but when you just emulate an already existing, alcoholic beverage, I dunno...

That's why I said almost, its not exactly like a Margarita. I mean it still is noticeably a gose. The point of a beer like this isn't to really just emulate but rather to be reminiscent of. It's an amazing feat for a brewery to be able to make all the flavors they aim for come through in a beer not only come through, but shine perfectly and taste natural. It isn't like this tastes like cheap fake lime sickly Margaritas from a shitty Mexican restaurant, this tastes absolutely delicious in my opinion. And while yes it is indeed meant to taste like a Margarita, the flavors here compliment the already present and noticeable flavors of the gose bringing out new dimensions of an already established brew instead of completely consuming and replacing it.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 5:31 am 

Kinda bummed in multiple ways - two guys opened up this pub/pizza joint in the downtown area, but it's in a basement kind of on the wrong side of the road (north side next to the huge department store - people cross the road to the restaurant/bar area after sundown). The inside layout of the place is *almost* comfortable and inviting, very basement-y, but still too harsh and industrial to really be inviting and it's too open feeling. That said, it is without a doubt the best beer joint in the city now. They've got a decent bottle list that includes the interesting beers that have become staples at the big supermarkets (so, Ballast Point, Weihenstephaner, several Belgian options) at prices that are barely marked up vs. the grocery store prices. They've also got eight taps of Korean craft beer at $5-6 a pint. Nothing mind-blowing, couple of basic ales, a lager, a wit, porter and IPA, but that's still phenomenal compared to, well, anywhere else.

The bummed part comes from the fact that I get the distinct impression that this place is doomed to go out of business. It's been dead on both Friday and Saturday nights, and the owners tell me they're reluctant to advertise it because they're both working full time as engineers or something and think they might get in trouble if it's found out they run this place after they finish their day jobs. Plus, odds are pretty decent I'll be leaving the city after my contract ends. Oh well.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

waiguoren
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 5:38 am 

iamntbatman wrote:
Kinda bummed in multiple ways - two guys opened up this pub/pizza joint in the downtown area, but it's in a basement kind of on the wrong side of the road (north side next to the huge department store - people cross the road to the restaurant/bar area after sundown). The inside layout of the place is *almost* comfortable and inviting, very basement-y, but still too harsh and industrial to really be inviting and it's too open feeling. That said, it is without a doubt the best beer joint in the city now. They've got a decent bottle list that includes the interesting beers that have become staples at the big supermarkets (so, Ballast Point, Weihenstephaner, several Belgian options) at prices that are barely marked up vs. the grocery store prices. They've also got eight taps of Korean craft beer at $5-6 a pint. Nothing mind-blowing, couple of basic ales, a lager, a wit, porter and IPA, but that's still phenomenal compared to, well, anywhere else.

The bummed part comes from the fact that I get the distinct impression that this place is doomed to go out of business. It's been dead on both Friday and Saturday nights, and the owners tell me they're reluctant to advertise it because they're both working full time as engineers or something and think they might get in trouble if it's found out they run this place after they finish their day jobs. Plus, odds are pretty decent I'll be leaving the city after my contract ends. Oh well.

You sound glum, chum. Why not have a beer for some cheer?

Crystal_Logic
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 5:16 pm 

iamntbatman wrote:
the owners tell me they're reluctant to advertise it because they're both working full time as engineers or something and think they might get in trouble if it's found out they run this place after they finish their day jobs.

That place sounds great, and I love hearing about places like that. However, if they think that then maybe they shouldn't have went into business? I'm not trying to be a dick, but it sounds a bit silly.

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 5:43 pm 

BasqueStorm wrote:

Wrong! :-D

Spoiler: show

P.S: Can't resize the pic with the new Imgur version.

First time I see the 10 in the supermarket but it's 3,79€! o_O

Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 2:13 am 

BasqueStorm wrote:
BasqueStorm wrote:

Wrong! :-D

Spoiler: show

P.S: Can't resize the pic with the new Imgur version.

I have found a shop in Iruña which has good prices, I will take a look if they have this one on a cheaper price. I wanted to buy 5/6 Korbinians which is my fav beer. I used to drink it in Minuto(a local pub) and in my town but there is no longer availabe there.

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 3:06 am 

Paganbasque wrote:
I have found a shop in Iruña which has good prices, I will take a look if they have this one on a cheaper price. I wanted to buy 5/6 Korbinians which is my fav beer. I used to drink it in Minuto(a local pub) and in my town but there is no longer availabe there.

You have to talk me about this pub. :roll:
And about the shop in Iruña (Pamplona). :-D

Guitarist3000
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 4:08 am 

I love a nice glass of Moose Drool, Honey Brown, or Boddingtons. I love all kinds of beer though.

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 5:54 am 

I forgot to mention that I could buy the same beer glass I bought (and broke) many years ago during those last holidays (http://viviendoapesardelacrisis.blogspot.co.uk/2016/08/vuelta-austria-y-europa-del-este.html).
Something similar to this (with the Austrian coat of arms):

MacMoney
Man of the Cloth

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 5:57 am 

BasqueStorm wrote:

Would gladly pay that amount for an R10. It's about seven euros at the store here. It's about two and bits near the source so it's not the cheapest one out there.

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 6:00 am 

MacMoney wrote:
BasqueStorm wrote:

Would gladly pay that amount for an R10. It's about seven euros at the store here. It's about two and bits near the source so it's not the cheapest one out there.

Yeah, but how much would be this beer in the pub?
I use to pay around 4€ in the pub for an Affligem Dubbel which is 1,6x€ in the supermarket.
I don't know how much would be a Rochefort 10 in the pub. :scratch:

MacMoney
Man of the Cloth

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 6:35 am 

BasqueStorm wrote:
I use to pay around 4€ in the pub for an Affligem Dubbel which is 1,6x€ in the supermarket.
I don't know how much would be a Rochefort 10 in the pub. :scratch:

Well, 1,6 times 3,79 makes 6,24€, so there you go! However, hopefully your pub runners (do you seriously call them pub in Basqueland?) are wise enough not to apply the same profit margin factor to all their products so maybe six euros? I think it's about nine or ten euros at bars in here.

BasqueStorm
The Wettest Blanket

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 10:34 am 

MacMoney wrote:
Well, 1,6 times 3,79 makes 6,24€, so there you go! However, hopefully your pub runners (do you seriously call them pub in Basqueland?) are wise enough not to apply the same profit margin factor to all their products so maybe six euros? I think it's about nine or ten euros at bars in here.

Sorry but it's not 1,6 times. I mean 1,6something €.
My point is that it's GREAT to drink a beer that would cost me 4€ for 1,6something € (Affligem Dubbel) but I find quite expensive the 3,79€ in the supermarket for the Rochefort 10 even if I don't know how much would it be in the pub.
P.S: I don't like to call it pub too and I just realized about tavern. More appropiate, you're right.
And it's not Basqueland, it's Basque Country. :-D

BarrelAged
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 12:14 pm 

Just had a growler fill of "Apricot D'or" an apricot sour ale done by a super small and new brewery, Birds Fly South Ale Project in greenville, SC. Really tart, but the apricot added a subtle and amazing sweetness. Really looking forward to more by them. Also had the new "Tesla" IPL by Six point. Very crisp and clean tasting with a surprisingly hoppy backbone.

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 12:19 pm 

It's fall, which means...Pumpkin beer time! By all accounts I agree that most pumpkin beer is overhyped and remarkable. The one notable exception is Schlafly's Pumpkin Ale. Spicy and just sweet enough + an actual earthy pumpkin flavor rather than just artificial-tasting pumpkin-imitating syrup. Highly recommended.

Norrmania
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 12:36 pm 

Trying All or Nothing Brewhouse's Hopfenweisse for the first time. Is alright I guess, but don't really approve of this wheat beer/IPA marriage. Added a shot and a half of tequila to it, not bad I guess.

Anyway this weekend I started a new love affair with Sawdust City. Went camping this past weekend and we stopped off in Gravenhurst to fill up with some growlers and various cans. Got a growler of Skinny Dipping Stout, which was pretty fucking good. Also got a few cans of it too. Probably my favourite of the bunch. Also picked up some Little Norway (pale lager), Coriolis Effect (a sour beer that I liked quite a bit actually), and The Princess Wears Girl Pants (Golden Ale that I actually didn't like that much). Want to get back up there again soon to fill up.

Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 2:24 am 

BasqueStorm wrote:
MacMoney wrote:

Sorry but it's not 1,6 times. I mean 1,6something €.
My point is that it's GREAT to drink a beer that would cost me 4€ for 1,6something € (Affligem Dubbel) but I find quite expensive the 3,79€ in the supermarket for the Rochefort 10 even if I don't know how much would it be in the pub.
P.S: I don't like to call it pub too and I just realized about tavern. More appropiate, you're right.

Perhaps he is German: das Baskenland :D

I didnt find the Rochefort 10 on the website I mentioned you but it could cost as much as you say, based on this:

http://www.beerkupela.com/?s=Rochefort+ ... pe=product

Rochefort 8 costs 2,85€

This is the one I want to buy:

mirons
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 4:03 am 

3.79€ for Rochefort 10 seems to be all-right. We haven't got it in supermarkets around here, but from my memory, in the few stores that carry it, it is around the same price.

P.S. the Korbinian is great, at least that's what I remember it to be (had one few years ago).

Paganbasque
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 4:24 am 

mirons wrote:
3.79€ for Rochefort 10 seems to be all-right. We haven't got it in supermarkets around here, but from my memory, in the few stores that carry it, it is around the same price.

P.S. the Korbinian is great, at least that's what I remember it to be (had one few years ago).

Well, its really expensive because I guess this could cost around 6 euros in a tavern which is a lot.

Korbinian is probably my fav(alongside Golden Drak, Leffe Brown and Paulaner Salvator) and its a pity because I could drink here in my town and in another town but for some reason they dont have it anymore.

mirons
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 4:29 am 

The Ardbeg Wizard wrote:
MacMoney wrote:

While Põhjala are pretty great and the best brewer to come out of Estonia, Pimee Öö was just way, way too sugary to be good. A lot of imperial stouts are rather sweet, but Pimee Öö just tasted like someone mixed about two parts sugar with three parts of a proper imperial stout.

That's just your opinion, maing

Öö is a Baltic Porter, if my memory serves me right, and those usually tend to be more on the sweet side. Pimee Öö is a version with added lactose, so it's bound to be even sweeter. I agree though that it is too sweet to be enjoyable.

Speaking of best brewery from Estonia, I'd say Pühaste gives Põhjala a run for their money (we'll see how it turns out now that Pühaste also have set up a brewery of their own), and Tanker has been making progress recently as well.

MacMoney
Man of the Cloth

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 2:45 pm 

BasqueStorm wrote:
Paganbasque wrote:

Perhaps he is German: das Baskenland :D

It's just my way of talking: Daneland, Dutchland, Basqueland, mostly due to land and country are fairly interchangeable in Finnish. I know it's Basque Country in English.

mirons wrote:
Öö is a Baltic Porter, if my memory serves me right, and those usually tend to be more on the sweet side. Pimee Öö is a version with added lactose, so it's bound to be even sweeter. I agree though that it is too sweet to be enjoyable.

Speaking of best brewery from Estonia, I'd say Pühaste gives Põhjala a run for their money (we'll see how it turns out now that Pühaste also have set up a brewery of their own), and Tanker has been making progress recently as well.

Öö is a Baltic Porter, yes, but I'm not really sure about Baltic Porters being on the sweet side usually. Not the traditional ones at least and at least according to Põhjala's pages Pime Öö is an imperial stout and without lactose. I think they're fairly different recipes with Pime Öö having rye and oat in it while Öö is more straightforward with its malt bill. Lactose also couldn't be the only addition as they're of different ABVs and lactose isn't broken down into alcohol by regular yeasts used in brewing.

Regarding Estonian brewers, I've been rather impressed with Tanker as well. Their stuff has been pretty good. Haven't tried Pühaste.

mirons
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 5:07 pm 

You're right, I got that mixed up with Pime Öö (my non-existant knowledge of Estonian failed me - I knew that piim means milk, therefore I thought of lactose, but it turns out pime means blind and is not related to milk in any way).

I recommend you to try Pühaste if you happen to come across it - so far all except one of their beers I've tried have been great.

BarrelAged
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 12:58 pm 

Got quite the haul last night. Westbrook brewing co.'s IPA, a state wide go to IPA. Straight to Ale's 6 Albert's session IPA and boulevards tank 7 farmhouse both were pretty decent. But I also got Stone's new 20th anniversary Citracado double IPA brewed with avocado flower honey and Mahr's Brau Mastodon - The Hunter Zwickelbier. Was pretty stoked to find that beer at my local beer store it was pretty good not mind blowing but it was my first Zwickelbier.

Kerrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 1:36 pm 

I was in Barcelona for a few months in the spring time and came upon this and couldn't pass it up... I have one bottle left. (Actually, I gave/sold most of them to friends back home in the US but kept two for my wife and I.) The glasses were a fun bonus.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 8:39 am 

Christ I'm jealous. Still never have had that stuff and would burn down a puppy orphanage for some probably.

Kerrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 12:47 pm 

iamntbatman wrote:
Christ I'm jealous. Still never have had that stuff and would burn down a puppy orphanage for some probably.

LOL. This is the second time I've had it and only the second time I've ever seen it available. The first was at this tiny bar in Amsterdam. (This was the quad btw and I *think* it was bottled in 2014 though I'd have to check.)

It's pretty dang good though I don't think I'd spend 20EUR/bottle again on it. I'd recommend having it at least once just to have that experience but IMO there are better Belgian quads out there (that are much cheaper). It's got this strange, almost skunky aftertaste that isn't bad... just kinda weird for a Belgian beer. I'm going to glue magnets in the bottle caps for fridge magnets. :)

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 1:16 pm 

I literally just came back from spending $25 on a 33cl bottle of Rochefort 10, so yes, I would spent 20EUR on a 750ml bottle of Westy.

Kerrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 1:38 pm 

Seriously??? Dang dude, The Rochefort 10 is not even that expensive here in California at bars. I suppose importing that to Middle Earth must be no easy task.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 1:01 am 

I live in Korea. A Guinness is ten bucks, heh.

Kerrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 3:42 pm 

Aha.

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 3:57 pm 

Ugghhh I had Yuengling for the first time ever last night, it was piss warm and disgusting. Gotta love house parties. Apparently this swill is like $9 at MDF and all they serve.... think I'll have a sober weekend next year.

Azmodes wrote:
It combines two of my favourite things: penis innuendo and derigin.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77 ... 86  Next