Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
nestee8
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 3:22 pm 

Is there anyone here who is into industrial music? Genres like EBM, electro industrial, aggrotech, power noise, dark electro, industrial rock, goth industrial, futurepop, etc. I think it's pretty cool music and simply another type of music that us metal fans can enjoy.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 7:45 pm 

Yes.

Well, some of that I guess. I listen to Skinny Puppy and Die Krupps almost daily. Uh, I like some industrial rock bands, there is a good one on the archives called Oblivion Machine. Lots of cool industrial stuff coming out of Russia lately.

Oh and Ministry of course, their first few albums have plenty of charm.

Last.fm

MorbidEngel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 7:51 pm 

Massive KMFDM fan here, and I have a lot of other industrial on me but I don't listen to it as much as I should

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 8:01 pm 

I like Einstürzende Neubauten a lot. Haus Der Lüge is one of my all time favorite non-metal albums. I also like Godflesh. Beyond that I'm pretty clueless, yet curious about the genre. Are there any essential bands one needs to check out, or possibly stuff with a similar appeal as E.N.?
If Summoning is the sugar of fantasy metal, is Manowar the bacon?

Crick
Despised by 17 Corners of the Universe

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 8:12 pm 

If you want recommendations for actual industrial like Einsturzende, this thread is not the place to look, inhumanist. Thus far the posts seem to have a bit of a misconception about the genre.

If you'd like though, I could see if I could dig out a list Catachthonian gave me a long time ago and PM it to you. Regardless of that though, Throbbing Gristle are a must listen, particularly D.o.A.

And yes, Haus der Luge is an incredible, incredible album. An old favorite of mine. <3

Under_Starmere wrote:
Hehe, hole.

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 8:24 pm 

Crick wrote:
If you'd like though, I could see if I could dig out a list Catachthonian gave me a long time ago and PM it to you.

Sounds promising, I'd appreciate it.

AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 12:36 am 

I like some industrial like Pain (peter Tagtrens sideproject), Skinny Puppy, and a fair bit of aggrotech.

Scorntyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 12:51 am 

nestee8 wrote:
Is there anyone here who is into industrial music? Genres like EBM, electro industrial, aggrotech, power noise, dark electro, industrial rock, goth industrial, futurepop, etc. I think it's pretty cool music and simply another type of music that us metal fans can enjoy.

I like Industrial music, shame you're mentioning dance shit in your post :P

For what it's worth, about half of my collection comes from labels like Cold Meat Industry, Cold Spring, World Serpent etc etc. Not that I dont like quite a lot of legit dance music, I just think EBM and it's offshoots is almost uniformly terrible (one or two acts excepted).

Oh, and I saw Ministry with Godflesh opening last week :)

"I think the average person thinks I'm a fucking nut and I deserve whatever happens to me."

"My intentions were not to fascinate the world with my personality."

CardsOfWar
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 4:49 am 

I like a lot of industrial music, but I really can't get behind industrial rock, industrial metal, or really any kind of industrial electric guitar music. I tend to veer towards the more experimental side of the style, with power electronics, martial industrial, and more recently neofolk (I guess not 'pure' industrial but certainly stylistically informed by it) being my favorite genres.

A few of my favourite bands at the moment are Current 93, Coil, NON/Boyd Rice, (Listening to Children of the Black Sun in bed was the most powerfully any piece of music has ever affected me) Atrax Morgue, and Throbbing Gristle.

last.fm here:
http://www.last.fm/user/CardsOfWar

Crick

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 5:54 am 

What are your thoughts on Coil's "Black Antlers", Cards? I really enjoy it; "Things We Never Had" is a really satisfying song to listen to in the wee hours of the morning when everyone's gone to sleep and its just you, the glow of some monitors, and streetlights filtering in the window.

Under_Starmere wrote:
Hehe, hole.

CardsOfWar
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:18 am 

Crick wrote:
What are your thoughts on Coil's "Black Antlers", Cards? I really enjoy it; "Things We Never Had" is a really satisfying song to listen to in the wee hours of the morning when everyone's gone to sleep and its just you, the glow of some monitors, and streetlights filtering in the window.

I think it's really nice. I live in rural Australia so I don't have any of the same sort of... atmospheric attachment to it that you do, but yeah, I find it really powerful music nonetheless. My favorite album by them at the moment is Horse Rotorvator though. All of the bizarre, evocative imagery and concept behind it is so perfectly captured in the music. It's an amazing, borderline revelatory album.

last.fm here:

Scorntyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:14 pm 

re COIL, I'd pick Horse Rotorvator too, although I have a soft spot for "How to destroy angels" also. "Musick to play in the dark 1/2" is one of my go-to relax with the lights off albums.

On that topic, I see that the re-issue of "England's hidden reverse" still seems to be delayed. They better put that fucking book out soon, I pre-ordered nearly a year ago when it was at it's original release date.

"I think the average person thinks I'm a fucking nut and I deserve whatever happens to me."

bassistneededlolnot
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:47 pm 

I used to listen to Suicide Commando quite a bit a couple years ago.

Burnt Reynolds
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:16 pm 

Is anyone else into Haus Arafna? They do power electronics and industrial but use a lot of pop structures so its actually catchy despite being harsh and noisy. It's an interesting combo to say the least. The other artists on the label they run are similar and theres a few gems.

Cthulhu_Fhtagn
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:30 am 

Yes, I love industrial music, mainly EBM, electro industrial, aggrotech, aggrotech mixed with rhythmic noise, and some industrial rock (as long as the industrial side is as strong as the rock side). One of my favorite discoveries is Heimataerde, who mix aggrotech and medieval instruments.

Crick wrote:
The first one is silly because it's got such dainty eyelashes, yet the guy is terrified. NOT THE MASCARA, CTHULHU! ANYTHING BUT THE MASCARA!

Earthcubed
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:53 am 

I like lots of dark ambient made (entirely or at least heavily) from sounds designed from "found sound," so to speak; technically, that sort of ambient should be viewed as an offshoot of original industrial. Lustmord, Sleep Research Facility, a few others. Apart from that I like some "martial industrial" ala ISN.

I appreciate abstractness in music and especially in ambient music but the really noisy stuff generally doesn't do anything for me, so I've tended to veer away from noise music and the likes of Throbbing Gristle.
On Friday I passed an important milestone in my teaching career: a student shat himself

Scorntyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:13 am 

anyone noticing we're talking about 2 totally distinct styles that both happen to be referred to as industrial here? Man, there must have been some amazing flamewars over the years between the 2 styles haha.

Crick

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 5:53 am 

Its honestly just the same thing that happens with any popular, mislabeled genre of music. Talking to people about metal and they mention a bunch of somewhat heavy rock, or talking about techno and all they mention is trance, or talking about dubstep and all they mention is brostep and complextro, or... Well, you get the picture. If it ever had a period where it was popular, chances are the average person doesn't actually know what its supposed parent genre was.

Under_Starmere wrote:
Hehe, hole.

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 11:11 am 

I like the poppy "industrial" like Nine Inch Nails, Rammstein, Ministry, stuff like that just gets me going some times, and I love things like Godflesh, V.E.G.A, blah blah.

But, yeah, when it comes to "real" industrial, I like a lot of the shit Earthcubed listed, but I'm a huge noise fan, so Throbbing Gristle and Coil and Utaarm and offshoots of power electronics.

But, when it comes to the poppy stuff, it's hard not to dig it.

https://bptst.bandcamp.com/- ambient
last.fm

Unity
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 3:31 pm 

I love industrial music, in fact it's the genre of music I listen to the most after metal. I guess besides being a metalhead, I'm always been a bit of a rivethead too! ;)

When it comes to industrial rock/metal, I like The Kovenant, Neurotech, T3chn0ph0b1a, Thorns, Mezzerschmitt, White Zombie, Marilyn Manson, NIN, Rammstein, Deathstars, Emigrate, Godhead and Rob Zombie.

I also love martial industrial: Across The Rubicon, Arditi, Atomtrakt, Auswalht, Blood Axis, BloodSoil, Legionarii, Leidungr, March Of Heroes, Sala Delle Colonne, Spreu & Weizen, Striider, Toroidh, Triarii, TriORE, Waffenruhe, Wappenbund, Orplid, Puissance, I.R.O.N..

Finally, with electronic stuff I like Feindflug, Tactical Sekt, Combichrist, Wumpscut, Panzer AG, The Prodigy, Depeche Mode, Covenant, Icon Of Coil and some Apoptygma Berzerk. :)

Numerator_41
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 4:51 pm 

On the poppier side of industrial, the first two Nine Inch Nails albums and the related EPs are great. I really dig the remixes of their stuff that Coil did.

the_raytownian
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:26 am 

I generally dislike what "Industrial", in all its forms and subtypes, became by the time the early 90's rolled around. I find styles like Aggrotech and Futurepop particularly loathesome, but I find myself really enjoying the somewhat recent trend of "anhalt EBM" very, very much.

It's endearingly stupid, fun, catchy music that feels like a nighttime urban driving sequence in some terrible Gergg Araki film on speed. Basically, a lot of really boneheaded, homoerotic DAF clones. It's awesome!

I also like "classic" 70's and early 80's industrial a la TG and SPK. TBH, everything else is "post-industrial" in my mind, but I generally enjoy most of it from the 80's... Everything from Skinny Puppy to FLA to Foetus and whatever else is in between.

I also like some Digital Hardcore stuff, if you count that.

PS: What's with me and scare quotes?

bug_man
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 3:44 am 

Scorntyrant wrote:
anyone noticing we're talking about 2 totally distinct styles that both happen to be referred to as industrial here? Man, there must have been some amazing flamewars over the years between the 2 styles haha.

theres way more than two styles under industrial, because industrial was never a 'genre' and as the various bands under that label progressed in different directions they spawned lots of imitative bands that had nothing in common with each other but still got put under the same category.

volutetheswarth
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 7:21 am 

I really like Nitzer Ebb, especially their first releases, unfortunately there's lots of shit EBM and I can't find anything else that's on the level of That Total Age.

Mr_TagoMago
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 2:50 pm 

I bloody love shit like Throbbing Gristle, Einsturzende Neubauten, Clock DVA, Cabaret Voltaire, and early Swans. Throbbing Gristle and Einsturzende Neubauten especially made some of the creepiest most disturbing and menacing music of all time. I really can't find the time to care for the popular 90s artists like Nine inch nails, Manson, or Ramnstein they just kinda suck donkey balls IMO. But yeah I think if one likes metal they should give industrial a try.

Oxenkiller
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:56 pm 

I have a lot of respect and admiration for the concept, but find it hard to listen to, generally speaking- too repetitive. Its the kind of thing I admire as an artist more so than generally enjoy. And of course, Rammstein, NIN, etc are far more mainstream and pop-oriented than stuff like Revolting Cocks, Einsterzende, and Laibach (Rammstein always sounded like a watered down Laibach for mallcore kids to me anyway.)

However, Godflesh and Jesu flirted with the mechanical, repetitive noise industrial sound and I did enjoy those bands. But when you get into the more ambient, non rhytemic stuff- it is VERY hit or miss with me. I've heard some stuff I've thought of as brilliant (some of the Utarm stuff, for example) and some I cant stand to hear more than ten seconds of, sometimes by the same artist.

The Red Snifit
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:42 pm 

Mr_TagoMago wrote:
I bloody love shit like Throbbing Gristle, Einsturzende Neubauten, Clock DVA, Cabaret Voltaire, and early Swans. Throbbing Gristle and Einsturzende Neubauten especially made some of the creepiest most disturbing and menacing music of all time. I really can't find the time to care for the popular 90s artists like Nine inch nails, Manson, or Ramnstein they just kinda suck donkey balls IMO. But yeah I think if one likes metal they should give industrial a try.

Manson, NIN, and Rammstein) are trash because of the compromises they made to become popular. Industrial - all of it - is supposed to be experimental and, by extension, unaccessible to mainstream listeners.

I realize that it looks like I'm being a hipster, but I don't really know how else to explain the massive gap in sales between NIN/Manson/Rammstein and everyone else. Ministry had one album go platinum. KMFDM's best selling album shipped 200k. And those are the two highest-grossing industrial acts ever, outside of the three mentioned above.

Crick

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:46 pm 

I don't really see how they're trash because of compromises made to a genre they never played in the first place.

Under_Starmere wrote:
Hehe, hole.

The Red Snifit
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:51 pm 

Crick wrote:
I don't really see how they're trash because of compromises made to a genre they never played in the first place.

One could spend hours debating what is industrial and what isn't. Some reduce to the genre to Throbbing Gristle and nobody else. It's a semantics argument that isn't worth getting into.

The bands mentioned are all considered to fall under the "industrial" umbrella, and they've been treated as industrial bands in this thread. Ergo, I'm considering industrial for the purposes of discussion.

Crick

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 12:25 am 

They only fall under the umbrella because of incorrect usage of a genre tag. But if you wanna talk about how ACDC are a heavy metal band thats fine, I guess.

EDIT: Just so this doesnt stay a terribly high-and-mighty shitpost, allow me to clarify that what Im saying is that bands such as Nine Inch Nails, Rammstein and so on were only called Industrial because people had no idea what they were saying when they called those things industrial. The term caught on and ended up being used for industrial rock, but that means that either there are two kinds of industrial that don't actually share the same general values, or that one of the things being called industrial is only being called that because of lack of public awareness of the origins of the term as a genre tag. It's like the example above, where people who don't really have a terribly informed view of what defines heavy metal lump things under it that aren't it.

At best, the bands in question are rock bands that incorporated industrial elements. Which is fine. Their structure is by and large primarily rock based, they brought in foreign elements as a way of making their music more unique and interesting. Saying they're trash because they're not doing what industrial proper was focused on doing is silly; there's no inherent problem with combining two genres, even if the ideology behind the music changes somewhat, because thats how you get new genres and scenes of music. It's like getting mad that someone's baked some pineapple in an oven and stuck it on a ham, because pineapple is originally a fruit that's meant to be cut up and eaten fresh or some shit like that.

Under_Starmere wrote:
Hehe, hole.

Mr_TagoMago
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 1:11 am 

Crick wrote:
They only fall under the umbrella because of incorrect usage of a genre tag. But if you wanna talk about how ACDC are a heavy metal band thats fine, I guess.

EDIT: Just so this doesnt stay a terribly high-and-mighty shitpost, allow me to clarify that what Im saying is that bands such as Nine Inch Nails, Rammstein and so on were only called Industrial because people had no idea what they were saying when they called those things industrial. The term caught on and ended up being used for industrial rock, but that means that either there are two kinds of industrial that don't actually share the same general values, or that one of the things being called industrial is only being called that because of lack of public awareness of the origins of the term as a genre tag. It's like the example above, where people who don't really have a terribly informed view of what defines heavy metal lump things under it that aren't it.

At best, the bands in question are rock bands that incorporated industrial elements. Which is fine. Their structure is by and large primarily rock based, they brought in foreign elements as a way of making their music more unique and interesting. Saying they're trash because they're not doing what industrial proper was focused on doing is silly; there's no inherent problem with combining two genres, even if the ideology behind the music changes somewhat, because thats how you get new genres and scenes of music. It's like getting mad that someone's baked some pineapple in an oven and stuck it on a ham, because pineapple is originally a fruit that's meant to be cut up and eaten fresh or some shit like that.

Honestly I don't care that Manson, NIN, and Rammstein are mainstream in sound I mean Clock DVA, and Cabaret Voltaire did plenty of more mainstream and accessible stuff. I just don't think Manson, NIN, and Rammstein are at all interesting or enjoyable to listen to. Like someone said before Ramnstein is just a poor mans Laibach. Manson and NIN come off as mediocre compared to the likes of Coil or Fad Gadget.

The Red Snifit
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 1:15 am 

Crick wrote:

I'm assuming that most people realize that when I call NIN "industrial", I'm referring to the industrial rock and metal subgenres, and that I'm comparing them to others within those subgenres (I named KMFDM and Ministry) and not Throbbing Gristle and Suicide. Calling them "trash" is obviously a subjective statement.

That's a rather pointless tangent we're going off on, and I'd rather not continue it. What I'm saying is that those three bands achieved commercial success by taking industrial rock and scraping off the experimental parts, and that in my subjective opinion this makes them sound worse than others within that specific subgenre. I listen to industrial and industrial rock because I enjoy the rough edges of the genre, and those bands don't have it.

Crick

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 1:18 am 

The Red Snifit wrote:
in my subjective opinion

No need to go busting this out friend, we aint on reddit. As you were.

Under_Starmere wrote:
Hehe, hole.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 1:30 am 

Really pretty sad that a thread concerning industrial music instinctively devolves into name-dropping NIN and Rammstein. Expected more from the community here. Also, please listen to Crick.

Last.fm

inhumanist
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 4:27 am 

Since we're talking about industial influenced rock bands anyways, am I the only one who thinks early Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds sounds extremely industrial infused? Or am I mistaking some other musical influence I'm unfamiliar with for industrial?

Dhranna
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 6:01 am 

I can't talk about Industrial music and not mention Pocket of Resistance (POR). Their 'Increments' EP/double 12" from 1980 is the most chilling thing I've ever heard. I think they disbanded after that or went off into various other bands.

There was just something about that record. I've only listened to it twice despite having it for about 25 years! It's kinda an ordeal, so noisy and evil that I'll probably just leave it on the shelf until another close family member dies or something. Well worth checking out.

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:48 am 

Besides many of the mentioned bands, I'm very into aggrotech/EBM stuff like Hocico, Combichrist, Winter Offensive, Cold Therapy, H.EXE, among others.

I'm a huge fan of And One btw. The Aggressor - Tanzomat period in particular is really good and I like more how they play the Uhr or older stuff nowadays.

The Red Snifit
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:43 pm 

So. Anybody going to the Cold Waves IV concert? I'd love to go, but between college, work, and my car that could brake down any day, I'm not sure if I can justify driving all the way down to Chicago for it.

CardsOfWar
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:56 pm 

inhumanist wrote:
Since we're talking about industial influenced rock bands anyways, am I the only one who thinks early Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds sounds extremely industrial infused? Or am I mistaking some other musical influence I'm unfamiliar with for industrial?

Eh, I'm not sure about a direct influence, but I know that Nick Cave is a fan of Coil and Death in June, so that scene could sort of indirectly stylistically inform him. I know what you mean though, a lot of his stuff sounds really noisy and grim. (The Mercy Seat off Tender Prey is my favourite example of him realising that particular sound)

last.fm here:

Scorntyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:04 pm 

inhumanist wrote:

check out who plays guitar on those albums and you'll see why.

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2  Next