Any thoughts?

schizoid
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:32 am 

never a fan.

TadGhostal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:43 am 

I had no idea he was sick. He always seemed like a humble guy. Sure, he made a lot of weak movies, especially later in his career, but he also made a lot of good to great movies and created one of the most iconic horror characters ever. R.I.P., Wes.

John_Sunlight
President Satan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:01 am 

He made good movies.
"Since that time, I have received highest level confirmations that such organizations not only exist but are rooted in satanic ritual murder and extend across America’s political landscape into nearly every community."

IxI_KILLING
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 3:17 pm 

Heard the news late last night and was pretty upset about it. Not so upset that I cried but the fact that one of my favorite horror masterminds has passed, it just doesn't go over well with me. Rest in peace, sir.

Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/Sheik_of_Wisdom
Twitter: https://twitter.com/Sheik_of_Wisdom

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 4:18 pm 

The first Nightmare alone is enough to call him a legend; it is a stone cold classic. I'll be watching it sometime this week in tribute - and doing a special blog post as well. Great stuff.

Metal_Jaw
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 6:08 pm 

Very sad to hear indeed. It probably doesn't even need to be said that he did a lifetime's worth in doing so much for the horror genre. I watched "The People Under The Stairs" last night in his memory; such a wacky and fun movie that became my favorite from him believe it or not.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 6:50 pm 

He's hit and miss, but Nightmare on Elm Street will always be a classic. So will The People Under the Stairs, which nobody seems to adore as much as I do. Scream was good at the time, but has aged terribly. All in all, the guy was pretty legendary. RIP. I hope nothing happens to Carpenter any time soon.

http://www.last.fm/user/TheEndTimeRiff
http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

Subrick
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 7:21 pm 

"Hit or miss" is the best way to describe Wes Craven, as he had very little middle ground. Often times he would make an excellent film like the original Nightmare, New Nightmare, and Red Eye, but for every one of those movies you'd get something like the Scream movies, My Soul to Take, or the original Last House on the Left, which I've gone over in the past here about it being nowhere near as good as many think it is. Overall though, his good movies outnumber the bad ones, and the stuff he made that's great is legendarily so.
Blacksoul Seraphim Doomgaze
Thy Ancient Crypt Blackened Death Metal

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:07 pm 

Necroticism174 wrote:
He's hit and miss, but Nightmare on Elm Street will always be a classic. So will The People Under the Stairs, which nobody seems to adore as much as I do. Scream was good at the time, but has aged terribly. All in all, the guy was pretty legendary. RIP. I hope nothing happens to Carpenter any time soon.

If you ever read the movie thread, I just watched this one this morning and enjoyed it quite a bit. Very fun.

Freddy is the King of slashers in my book for sure though. Huge Elm Street fan. We all know who truly won at the end of Freddy vs Jason... :wink:

The Nightmare will live on forever.

volutetheswarth
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:59 pm 

schizoid wrote:
never a fan.
Let's all thank schizoid for being a dick.

volutetheswarth
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:11 pm 

Subrick wrote:
"Hit or miss" is the best way to describe Wes Craven, as he had very little middle ground. Often times he would make an excellent film like the original Nightmare, New Nightmare, and Red Eye, but for every one of those movies you'd get something like the Scream movies, My Soul to Take, or the original Last House on the Left, which I've gone over in the past here about it being nowhere near as good as many think it is. Overall though, his good movies outnumber the bad ones, and the stuff he made that's great is legendarily so.

Inconsistent is how I'd put it, you could never really rely on his films but he had some gems earlier in his career. His steam sort of left and never came back after New Nightmare. I was surprised to hear he was 76 because he looked much younger in photos just a few years back, and most shocking that he had brain cancer, only just 4 years before his death he was directing Scream 4 so I'm wondering if there was any warning signs. Either way, rest in peace, he made one hell of a contribution to the horror genre.

Meditari
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 3:19 am 

The Last House on the Left, The Hills Have Eyes 1 and 2, Swamp Thing, the first 3 A Nightmare on Elm Street movies, Scream, They. I liked all of these movies at different points in my life, so thanks for the great entertainment. :(

However, I will never forgive you for your involvement in Pulse! Kairo is one of my favorite movies, and the American remake was..less than good.

Anyway, it sucks that he's dead.

Reply to topic