Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 11:28 am 

Peeping Tom is basically a pop album by Mike Patton and its sick as fuck
Caravans’ stoned deliverance"-Sleep's Dopesmoker

LO FI GRIND- http://alaskanpipelinesgrinds.bandcamp.com/

MARSDUDE
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 11:32 am 

^Agreed. Actually, everything by Mike Patton is sick as fuck!

Via_Nocturna
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 3:49 pm 

Wardruna's two albums. Yep, both of them.

SluseTheInventor
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 10:45 pm 

Ghostface Killah's new album is pretty much a 12/10

lowki1087
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 9:55 am 

M.D.C - Millions of Dead Cops

No explanation needed.

Zdan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 9:58 am 

lowki1087 wrote:
M.D.C - Millions of Dead Cops

No explanation needed.

As far as early American hardcore punk goes I would but those in front:

Black Flag - Damaged
Dead Kennedys - Fresh Fruit For Rotting Vegetables
Bad Brains - Bad Brains

From those three I would put Black Flag and Bad Brains at 100%. But M.D.C. is of course a classic.

Paganbasque
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 10:15 am 

I have my complete list of non-metal albums posted here in rateyourmusic:

http://rateyourmusic.com/list/Paganbasq ... tal_albums

But I will mention a few ones:

Trobar de Morte(Fairydust and Legends of...): both albums are marvellous mastepieces of magnificent etheral folk/ambient.

The Chamaleons-Script of the Bridge: awesome post-punk/80s poprock.

Lana del Rey-Born to die: hypnotic pop/indie music.

The Beatles: almost every f*cking album.

Swarms-Old ravens end: incredible atmospheric dubstep.

Artesia-Chants de automme: another masterpiece of ethereal folk/neoclassic music.

The Moon and the Nighspirit-Rego retejm: mystic folk/ambient.

Of Monster and Men-My head is an animal: beautiful indie/folk.

Blutengel-Seelenschmerz: addictive EBM.

And so on....

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 4:36 pm 

I was listening to Faith No More - The Real Thing & GnR - Appetite for Destruction when I was in kindergarten (probably had something to do with why I was such a bad kid)
I'd give them a 100% like 20 years ago, but listening to them today probably a 60% :old:

BastardHead
Magic Mike

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 4:43 pm 

Appetite for Destruction is the greatest hard rock album of all time. Not one single stinker on there. I also grew up with it, but I never grew out of it.

Erosion Of Humanity
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 4:52 pm 

Appetite is good but its no 100%. Only about half of that album is worth listening to so yeah I guess pretty much agree with ~60%.

Goatfangs wrote:
"LOLOL IN FLAMES SUX0RZ".

BastardHead
Magic Mike

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 5:03 pm 

There's only one non-metal album I'd give 100% (The Mechanical Hand by HORSE the Band), so that's why I never post in this thread (which pretty quickly degenerated into "non metal albums I like"), but there isn't a single song I dislike. I agree it's no 100% but I'd put it in the low 90/high 80 range.

TheLiberation
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 8:32 pm 

There are two:

Porcupine Tree - The Incident: this is probably a controversial choice, but of all the great albums Mr. Wilson has created, this is perfection for me. While I'd say Fear of a Blank Planet had better songs (every single one there is great on its own), this is the masterpiece of album flow, coherence and variety. There's everything from poppy ballads, through prog, to some heavy and dark as fuck moments, and the atmosphere of the whole album is amazing. It starts with its feet firmly on the ground, and seems to gradually take off with every song, flying through the skies when it reaches I Drive The Hearse. It's at the same time a dark and dramatic album, and at the same time there's something incredibly warm and lovely about it.

Anathema - A Natural Disaster: ok, I know it's actually on the Archives but the last Anathema album with any level of metal is Judgement. What I can say about this album is... It's not technical perfection - the mix could be better in a few places and things like that. But it's not comparable with anything else for one simple reason.

It's the most beautiful and most atmospheric album ever created in my opinion.

And Violence is my favourite track ever created.

That's it.

Trashy_Rambo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 1:35 am 

severzhavnost wrote:
Not sure about giving it 100%, but Fejd's Eifur is beautiful top-flight Nordic folk. So pure and natural, it practically has healing properties. Seriously. Next time you've got a head cold, piss on the pharmaceuticals and let Fejd clear you right up. Damn fine music.

Fantastic band. Their demo material is nearly flawless.

joncheetham88
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 8:19 am 

One of the non-metal artists I rate most highly is Cypress Hill, particularly their first four albums, and I still follow DJ Muggs' various projects loyally. The Legend of the Mask and the Assassin, which is basically DJ Muggs producing and Sick Jacken/ Cynic rapping deserves somewhere between 90-98%. Apparently when I reviewed it I said:

"'El Barrio' seems as if it could have been lifted directly from Cypress Hill IV, and 'Black Ships' feels like a cross between 'Dr. Greenthumb' and 'Illusions' - at one point, the beat even lapses into 'How I Could Just Kill A Man' very briefly. These references accentuate the album's similiarity in dynamic to the Hill's sound. Psycho Realm frontman Sick Jacken's edged, nasal flow is backed up on almost every track by the gruffer voice of Cynic. Jack and Cynic are more than used to sharing the mic, with Psycho Realm and Street Platoon's many collaborations together (now known collectively as Sick Symphonies) behind them, and given the opportunity to bring their streets-honed, underground-inspired styles to an album with a legendary producer like Muggs encourages both emcees to put in definitive performances. The combined vitriol of the two makes uptempo joints like 'Unorthodox Blocks' and 'Reptilian Renaissance' standouts, and this record the best of the trilogy, comparable in quality and consistency to Cypress Hill. It is likely that, were this album recorded in the 1990s, it would be regarded a hip-hop classic."

There's a whole thing here: http://baileysmmcreamy.blogspot.co.uk/2 ... eriod.html

By the way that new Ghostface Killah album does have a great old school vinyl hip hop sound - shame I could never really dig the guy's flow.

http://baileysmmcreamy.blogspot.com

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 9:33 am 

Huh, I thought I had posted in this thread.

Slint - Spiderland

People really like talking about how this was a landmark release that helped shape post-rock, but it's also a very strange album with a really unsettling atmosphere and certain sense of dread that many bands they influence have never really succeeded in capturing. The liner notes include an advertisement for female vocalists, which indicates to me that the band wasn't happy with the vocals on the album, but I couldn't imagine them any other way. From the essentially spoken-word bits, to the strained crooning to the sort of post-hardcore shouting, they're really unlike anything else. Not to mention the slinking riffs, dry-as-a-bone production and loping drums. A really strange record to be sure, but I find it completely flawless.

Mogwai - EP+2

Mogwai are probably my favorite band and I enjoy all of their releases to varying degrees, but I think this early compilation stands as their most consistently brilliant release. The track order is perfect, and the disc features some of the bands most sombre melodies ("Burn Girl Prom Queen"), most intimate and delicate songs ("Christmas Song", "Rollerball") and the most perfect marriages of heart-wrenching melodicism and scathing noise ("Rage: Man" and "Small Children in the Background"). The production for the two releases this combines (EP and No Education = No Future (Fuck the Curfew)) is essentially identical so, despite technically being a compilation, this feels like a purpose-made album. I'd go so far as to say this release is the pinnacle of post-rock and is 100% essential to anyone even vaguely interested in the genre.

I would *almost* give 100% scores to Modest Mouse's first and third albums if it weren't for a couple of bits on each album that mar otherwise flawless releases ("Dog Paddle" on This is a Long Drive for Someone with Nothing to Think About and "A Different City"/"The Cold Part" from The Moon and Antarctica). Same with Sonic Youth's Daydream Nation (Lee's vocals in "Eric's Trip" grate on me).

COMA VOID - Album out now!
GLOAMING
FAUSTIAN ORBS - Get the tape!

baron samedi
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 1:17 am 

Queens of the Stone Age - Songs For The Deaf
Smashing Pumpkins - Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness

Mass Of The Fermenting Dregs - ワールドイズユアーズ (World Is Yours)
^this is female fronted shoegaze/post-pop-punk can't recommend it enough.

Aphex Twin - druqks
Yes - Yessongs (live album, but better than any of their early studio albums even in terms of production)
Mulatu Astatke - Ethiopiques Vol. 4
Notorious B.I.G. - Ready to Die

doomster999
Keeper of the Dreary Realm

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 1:04 pm 

Erosion Of Humanity wrote:
Appetite is good but its no 100%. Only about half of that album is worth listening to so yeah I guess pretty much agree with ~60%.

I agree. No way it's THE greatest hard rock album. I'd give it a 70 maybe. Best hard rock album of all time is either Zeppelin III or Deep Purple's Machine Head.
Infact I use to have a relly hot friend from there but unfurtunetly the last party we have I was really wasted and grab her ass and it cause a huge problem. Her dad (that is a marine) wants to ripp my nuts... thinks are not the same...

Last.fm