Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
DeathRiderDoom
Pro Sports Warder

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:04 am 

lennonlikesmetal wrote:
DeathRiderDoom wrote:
lennonlikesmetal wrote:
DeathRiderDoom wrote:
Wow, there really is some shitty albums listed in this thread.

Not enough Shihad?

:D

Your lucky i didn't say The Chills or something.

Shihad rock by the way. One of the best live bands i've seen.

Gimme a break, bud.

Oblarg
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:00 am 

Randy Coven - Sammy Says Ouch!

My favorite instrumental hard rock/jazz fusion album of all time. Absolutely superb, not a single weak track to be found.

DeathRiderDoom
Pro Sports Warder

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:52 pm 

Just one of many, that springs to mind:

DestruicaoMetalica
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:05 pm 

DeathRiderDoom wrote:

Dammit I was gonna post that!

Lots of great hardcore albums, my favorite, Black Flag - Damaged, definately gets a 100. Classic hardcore, not the emo whiny crap of today. Also, I could give a 100 to Johnny Winter's Live. Best live album I have ever listened to. Better then Unleashed in the East, The Eagle Has Landed, and Live After Death combined. Does great covers of Johnny B Goode, Good Morning Little School Girl and Jumpin Jack Flash, although the other covers on this are really good too.

DeathRiderDoom
Pro Sports Warder

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:17 pm 

DestruicaoMetalica wrote:
DeathRiderDoom wrote:

Dammit I was gonna post that!

Lots of great hardcore albums, my favorite, Black Flag - Damaged, definitely gets a 100. Classic hardcore, not the emo whiny crap of today. Also, I could give a 100 to Johnny Winter's Live. Best live album I have ever listened to. Better then Unleashed in the East, The Eagle Has Landed, and Live After Death combined. Does great covers of Johnny B Goode, Good Morning Little School Girl and Jumpin Jack Flash, although the other covers on this are really good too.

There's no denying TSOL. I've always though Black Flag was somewhat overrated in the hardcore music scene; they're good but get too much credit and are kinda like the Metallica of hardcore in a way - the band everyone always associates with the genre, even if they don't know about it. Plus their lineup changed too much, and Henry Rollins is a gaping asshole.

Speaking of hardcore - one more 5/5 album is easily the self titled '81 debut by Adolescents:

Acrobat
Eric Olthwaite

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:27 pm 

'Code Blue' is an awesome song but the rest of the album just passed me by for the most part. I'd much rather listen to Black Flag or Bad Brains. :)

DeathRiderDoom
Pro Sports Warder

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:23 pm 

The album for me has just an exciting, unique energetic flair that no other hardcore band comes close to. Also, the band itself has a pretty special significance for me as i've been listening to them since '97 or '98 - before many of my current favourite metal bands.

Anyway, another hardcore gem that's pretty much near perfect has got to be Circle Jerks 'Wild in the Streets' album from '82.

Hellrisen
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:18 pm 

^ Group Sex is a better one by them....

Black Flag are considered a top tier hardcore punk group because they worked hard for it. They might have had horrible attitudes and acted very dysfunctional but they definitely had their work cut out for them. Just about everything they did was great too. From the First Four Years stuff to their later era, the almost progressive music on Slip It In and In My Head. You can't beat the Flag.

DeathRiderDoom
Pro Sports Warder

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:36 pm 

Hellrisen wrote:
^ Group Sex is a better one by them....

Black Flag are considered a top tier hardcore punk group because they worked hard for it. They might have had horrible attitudes and acted very dysfunctional but they definitely had their work cut out for them. Just about everything they did was great too. From the First Four Years stuff to their later era, the almost progressive music on Slip It In and In My Head. You can't beat the Flag.

Believe me i'm very familiar with BF - I've been listening to them for over a decade. I just think they're the go-to 80s hardcore band, and aren't any better than a lot of the other top tier bands. Sure, they were around earlier than most, but listening to some of their music, i don't see sense in how highly they're regarded. Sure i like em and all, and yes i have first four years, and just about everything by the band, but it's not worthy material for the god-like status that is conferred on them, imo.

Circle Jerks are great band, and have several good albums, but i always preferred Wild in the Streets to Group Sex (both of which i've owned, along with my collection of 80s hardcore vinyl which i don't have anymore). I like the step up in production and songwriting evidenced on their second LP. Group Sex is very stripped back, ballsy, fast and simple - and also very, very good, but WITS has an awesome charm to it - it was also the first record i heard from them too, back in '98 or so, so i guess that has something to do with it.

Ribos
Radioactive Man

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:42 pm 

I'm going to throw out Cardiacs' Sing To God album. I've only recently heard this, but... god damn. This is everything Mr. Bungle wanted to be but better. I do not give 100%'s lightly: an album has to be note-for-note perfect with perfect production for the sound. I would have to not want anything different to give it 100%.

This is such an album. And yes, I would absolutely put it on the same level as King Crimson's debut. This is, without any doubt, one of the most awe-inspiring albums I have ever heard. It is a double-album that does not feel at all bloated. It is avant-garde without losing itself up its own ass in unrelated ideas. It is progressive without losing the sense of a hook. It is varied without losing cohesion, consistent without every song sounding alike.

Sing To God is to rock music as Beethoven's Ninth was to the symphony work. Where do you go from here? Where can you possibly go from here?

DeathRiderDoom
Pro Sports Warder

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:07 am 

This band Beowulf used to be on the archives, but thanks to my reviews (unintentionally) they have been deleted. They're great heavy metal/crossover thrash/hardcore punk band from the 80s that were contemporaries with Excel and Suicidal Tendencies, except dirtier, snalier and more Motorheadish. Their debut is one solid, solid album, but since they've been removed for not being being metal, i guess they qualify here:

Scourge441
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:44 am 

There's two non-metal albums that I would definitely give a 100 to:

King Crimson - Red
This is the best thing King Crimson have done. They took the dissonance they were experimenting with, combined it with a touch of melody and some killer riffage to craft a brilliant album. Starless is absolutely breathtaking. It would be the best prog album of all time, if not for...

Comus - First Utterance
My favorite album of all time, metal included. This is one of the few albums I can genuinely classify as "haunting." The Herald gives me goosebumps. Song to Comus is chilling. Everything about this album is perfect.

Erisgaroth
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:57 am 

Marilyn Manson - Portrait Of An American Family
Is one of the best Industrial Rock albums i ever heard. Good riffs, and a spectacular voice and a nice production (and surely, all of this thanks to Trent Reznor) Not a single song here is weak. That's the Manson i like.

Gelseth_Andrano
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:26 am 

Erisgaroth wrote:
Is one of the best Industrial Rock albums i ever heard. Good riffs, and a spectacular voice and a nice production (and surely, all of this thanks to Trent Reznor) Not a single song here is weak. That's the Manson i like.

+1

The_Beast_In_Black wrote:
I touch ladies all the time.
Ladies can't get enough of my touchings

TheTriosSerpent
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:36 am 

Lesiem - Chapter 2
The Residents - The Third Reich 'n' Roll
We do not find many albums enjoyable besides metal, but they seem to work.

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:44 pm 

Now that we're talking about Black Flag, I might have to give My War 100.

demigod93
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:36 pm 

Necropleasurist wrote:
Black Mountain "In The Future"
Grooving hard rock with some classic psychedelic touch to it. You've got some beautiful female vocals, nostalgic psychedelic synthesizers, fuzzed out hard rockin' riffs, you have the slower songs, and the epic 17 minute trip. This has it all, and if it weren't for having such a modern production, you would think this came straight out of '67. But instead, it's 2008! Far out, man!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5hsj8KsQ0U

Yes! That album absolutely kicks ass.

DeathRiderDoom
Pro Sports Warder

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:46 pm 

This one and only LP by Abandoned is one hell of a hardcore punk album. One of my all time favorites. Not very well known, but very rockin'.

MrMcThrasher
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:11 pm 

Let's see...
Montrose - Montrose
Guns n' Roses - Appetite for Destruction
Gamma - Gamma II
Pearl Jam - Ten
Blue Cheer - Vincebus Eruptum
Red Hot Chili Peppers - Blood Sugar Sex Magik
Some of the best hard rock rock albums ever. Period.
Montrose shows off his skills in both Montrose and Gamma. Both bands had great singers as well.
I don't have to explain Appetite for Destruction.
Ten was brilliant, every song sounded different, but in a good way.
Blue Cheer is awesome.
Red Hot Chili Peppers only good album with the new guitarist and drummer.

Alice In Chains - Dirt would be listed although I noticed them on the Archives.

I could go for a couple of rap albums too. Biggie had an album or two. Eminem also had an early album that was good. Can't recall any names though.

Fulci420
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:23 pm 

Gelseth_Andrano wrote:
Erisgaroth wrote:

+1

+2 here. I love manson for me the good albums are:
Potrait
Antichrist Superstar
Mechanical Animals

ThrashDeathDoom
Racist Dick

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 2:13 am 

I'm gonna get shit on for this but I'd give the following non-metal albums

Liquid Swords by the GZA 100%
Supreme Clientele and The Pretty Toney Album by Ghostface Killah 100%
Only Built 4 Cuban Linx by Raekwon 100%
Illmatic and It Was Written... Nas 100%
Me Against The World... 2Pac 100%
Life After Death by Biggie 100%
Ridin Dirty by UGK 100%
A Gangster And A Gentleman by Styles P 100%
Philadelphia Freeway and Free At Last... well I can't give those 100% but they're favorites by Freeway
The Infamous by Mobb Deep 100%
Blackstar by Mos Def and Talib Kweli 100%

I grew up on rap, and I still like very, v ery little. pretty much exclusively 90's NY stuff and Wu-Tang stuff.

TheRealThing
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 2:36 am 

I'm gonna have to add Imogen Heap's "Ellipse" onto here. Her voice is so heavenly. She's very creative with the layers of sounds and samples in her music... it's just an all around perfect album.

~Guest 224386
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:07 pm 

I would give 100% to Midnight Madness by Night Ranger. One awesome criminally underrated rock band. I just love every single track on it. Great rockers and great ballads, all in one product.

DeathRiderDoom
Pro Sports Warder

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:33 am 

^ I love Night Ranger too and they seriously know how to craft strong, strong albums. They have like 4 good ones. While we're on the subject of great 80s rock, i seriously (my RYM is proof) give 5 stars to Ratt's work, especially
Out of the Cellar, their stellar debut record.

marktheviktor
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:16 am 

Don't know if this would qualify but I grew up listening to golden oldies as a very young kid way before I knew what hard rock and heavy metal existed and I have made my own compilation I labeled as 'The Best of AM Gold'. And if this were an official comp, I would rate it a 100. I would. These are classic oldie love/romantic tunes from the early 1960's to the late 70's. I'm drawn to each these particular tracks because they each share two musical aspects that I go for: that trademark Phil Spector Wall of Sound and simple quaint chorus melodies. These are the songs..

Barbara Lewis "Hello Stranger"- Very charming early 60's romantic track with simple organ beat and Lewis' soothing croon. Kinda something I would hear in a David Lynch film.

The Shirelles "Baby It's You"- Spector produced hit so the whole Wall of Sound is very frontal. I actually like this better than The Beatles cover
version.

Barbara Mason "Yes, I'm Ready"- Fuck Motown; Philly Soul is where it's at.

Minnie Riperton "Lovin' You"- yeah I know, I know. My ma gave me funny looks when she overheard me playing Marduk one day and this Stevie Wonder produced 70's hit another. A guilty pleasure here. I can't resist the whistle register and the ambient bird chirps.

Rupert Holmes "Escape(The Pina Colada Song)"- If Rupert's tombstone is not of a pineapple, well then it should very well be. haha

Bread "If"-My mom used to play this around the house. A very dreary, quasi-doomy ballad. Opeth should do a cover of this track.

Richard Harris "MacArthur's Park"- The only reason why I rented Camelot was because I thought this was a song from the film but it's not. This has some interesting time changes found in traditional heavy metal so it's pretty cool if a bit sappy. The same type of song Meat Loaf would later made a career out of in campy fashion. The song is rather goofy because as Richard Harris winds it down I keep thinking Commodus will step in and smother him before it's over.

Bobbie Gentry "Ode to Billie Joe"- BILLIE JOE, not Billy Joel! Anyways, I love songs that can spin a tale while sounding so good. Folks, this is how folk should work. :-)

Nicolette Larson "Lotta Love"- Haven't heard the Neil Young original but can't imagine it sounds better than this. I used to think Crystal Gale sang this but it's by a longtime Neil Young backing singer. This was her only hit.

England Dan & John Ford Coley "I'd Really Love to See You Tonight"- There's that thread about misheard lyrics. Well how 'bout this one: "I'm not talking about the linen"(it really goes "I'm not talking about movin' in".)

Carly Simon "That's The Way I've Always Heard It Should Be"-Beautiful song. Masterpiece. Just listen to it.

Diana Ross & The Supremes "Reflections"- Now best remembered as the China Beach song. great spacey intro and wonderful bass guitar.

Stevie Wonder "I Was made to Lover Her"-Ridiculously upbeat pop number. Stevie's old songs always have the most addictive bass playing.

The Turtles "You Showed Me"- Another song found from my mom's high school playlist but she hates this song and doesnt know how it was on there.

Gerry & The Pacemakers "Don't Let the Sun Catch You Crying"-Soft and gentle little number that always is nice to hear.

Rareitor
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:29 am 

I'd have to say anything by Daft Punk, that is:

-Homework: Their debut, somewhat softer and less, shall I say, daring, than the next ones; yet it does let you see what an amazing duo such as this can do.

-Discovery: The masterpiece for you to listen all the way through and let the mind wander. Made so each track fits in to the next one in a nice progression. This then worked out when the animated film was made to fit the music (or at least, that is what it truly feels like).
Somewhat personal note: I wish I had this in vinyl LP :3

-Human After All: Their third , the sound is mostly heavier in a lot of the songs, a rough edge I very much appreciate and feel is another little show of what they can do oh so well - without going overboard.

There is yet another piece I feel could deserve mention, their compilation know as Musique Vol.1 (1993 - 2005). The selection of songs is very appropriate and illustrative of what the duo did for the first 2 records. It seems a little lacking in respect to HAA because, though indeed the tracks included are a good view of the album, it does not feel like it lets you see as much of it as the other songs do for their respective releases. Plus, the bonus remixes of other artists songs are a nice bonus I consider of, maybe not masterful, but good value nonetheless.

note-will update if get hold of Tron OST-
----------------------------------------
Also, E.S. Posthumus. their first(Unearthed) and third(Makara) albums; yes, just yes.

lennonlikesmetal
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:05 am 

Rareitor wrote:
I'd have to say anything by Daft Punk, that is:

-Homework: Their debut, somewhat softer and less, shall I say, daring, than the next ones; yet it does let you see what an amazing duo such as this can do.

-Discovery: The masterpiece for you to listen all the way through and let the mind wander. Made so each track fits in to the next one in a nice progression. This then worked out when the animated film was made to fit the music (or at least, that is what it truly feels like).
Somewhat personal note: I wish I had this in vinyl LP :3

-Human After All: Their third , the sound is mostly heavier in a lot of the songs, a rough edge I very much appreciate and feel is another little show of what they can do oh so well - without going overboard.

There is yet another piece I feel could deserve mention, their compilation know as Musique Vol.1 (1993 - 2005). The selection of songs is very appropriate and illustrative of what the duo did for the first 2 records. It seems a little lacking in respect to HAA because, though indeed the tracks included are a good view of the album, it does not feel like it lets you see as much of it as the other songs do for their respective releases. Plus, the bonus remixes of other artists songs are a nice bonus I consider of, maybe not masterful, but good value nonetheless.

note-will update if get hold of Tron OST-
----------------------------------------
Also, E.S. Posthumus. their first(Unearthed) and third(Makara) albums; yes, just yes.

I heard the live album last week. What is your opinion of that?

Rareitor
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:42 pm 

lennonlikesmetal wrote:

I unfortunately have not heard either of the live recordings available, though I am curious, are you talking about Alive 1997 or Alive 2007?

Exister
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:30 pm 

Fulci420 wrote:
Gelseth_Andrano wrote:
Erisgaroth wrote:

+1

+2 here. I love manson for me the good albums are:
Potrait
Antichrist Superstar
Mechanical Animals

I'd give Portrait if it wasn't for Snake Eyes and Sissies. Gotta love Dogma and Misery Machine though. Also, no love for Holy Wood? :(

A lot of these are out of nostalgia, since I was into other genres way before being into metal:

The Dillinger Escape Plan - Irony is a Dead Scene. Patton=GOD!

Skinny Puppy - Remission and Rabies. Worlock is one of my favorite songs, period.

Trashlight Vision - Alibis and Ammunition

Smashing Pumpkins - Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness. Some aregue there are a lot of filler, but I don't see it. Doesn't get boring at all.

Marilyn Manson - Holy Wood and Antichrist Superstar.

M83 - Daed Cities Red Seas and Lost Ghosts. Gets me in a trance-like state every time :o

Nine Inch Nails - The Downward Spiral, and Year Zero.

Not all of them, just the ones off the top of my head.

DeathRiderDoom
Pro Sports Warder

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:52 pm 

This has really always been a favourite of mine since way, way back. Pretty much unanimously considered an essential hardcore punk album.

Dead Kennedys - Fresh Fruit for Rotting Vegetables (1980)

demigod93
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:12 pm 

The Dillinger Escape Plan - Calculating Infinity.

Yes.

lennonlikesmetal
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:28 am 

Rareitor wrote:
lennonlikesmetal wrote:

I unfortunately have not heard either of the live recordings available, though I am curious, are you talking about Alive 1997 or Alive 2007?

Alive 2007 is the one i heard. Was pretty good too.

lennonlikesmetal
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:44 am 

Devilloc wrote:

Smashing Pumpkins - Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness. Some aregue there are a lot of filler, but I don't see it. Doesn't get boring at all.

Irony Is A Dead Scene rules hard.

No love for Siamese Dream or Broken?

~Guest 224386
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:53 am 

DeathRiderDoom wrote:
^ I love Night Ranger too and they seriously know how to craft strong, strong albums. They have like 4 good ones. While we're on the subject of great 80s rock, i seriously (my RYM is proof) give 5 stars to Ratt's work, especially

Fuck yeah. Although I would say that Ratt's debut is a nice mixture of heavy metal and hard rock. Their sound easily knocks a bunch of other glam bands' down to the ground.

Exister
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:01 am 

lennonlikesmetal wrote:
Devilloc wrote:

Irony Is A Dead Scene rules hard.

No love for Siamese Dream or Broken?

Yea, Patton goes crazy in that ep!

Siamese Dream is great, but I have to be in a certain mood to listen to it. Today is such a great song.

On the issue of NIN, I'm a huge fan of everything Trent Has done. Broken is really good, but I HATE Physical (Your So) and Suck. If those two songs were taken out I would gladly give it a perfect score!

DeathRiderDoom
Pro Sports Warder

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:18 am 

AngelWitch666 wrote:
DeathRiderDoom wrote:

Fuck yeah. Although I would say that Ratt's debut is a nice mixture of heavy metal and hard rock. Their sound easily knocks a bunch of other glam bands' down to the ground.
Don't i know it. Kicks most of those bands to the core easily. Winning formula, and so original - really set themselves apart from the imitators in a scne rife with poseurism. I'd rate their next 3 albums pretty highly too, as most of those who are familiar with my RYM will testify.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:41 am 

DeathRiderDoom wrote:
AngelWitch666 wrote:
DeathRiderDoom wrote:

Don't i know it. Kicks most of those bands to the core easily. Winning formula, and so original - really set themselves apart from the imitators in a scne rife with poseurism. I'd rate their next 3 albums pretty highly too, as most of those who are familiar with my RYM will testify.

Love Ratt's debut, too. Has so many good songs on it - glad I checked it out. Can't say the same for their other ones because I haven't heard any of them.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Musick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:47 am 

DeathRiderDoom wrote:
AngelWitch666 wrote:
DeathRiderDoom wrote:

while i couldnt grant early ratt 100%, i must say they are better than a lot of so called modern "metal" bands. sure, their style at the time is a joke in todays age, but this has to be one of the most (strictly striaight up) "metal" opening riffs of all time:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7SUMWTNyRQ

random: was ratt the first metal band to work with a 5 string bass? no idea myself.

I have had successful trades/sales with:
vegnsanity, DMR, TooHuman, turboeye, minionofkyuss and teuti

Last edited by Musick on Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
~Guest 224386
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:47 am 

OzzyApu wrote:
DeathRiderDoom wrote:
AngelWitch666 wrote:
DeathRiderDoom wrote:

Love Ratt's debut, too. Has so many good songs on it - glad I checked it out. Can't say the same for their other ones because I haven't heard any of them.

Invasion of Your Privacy is another stellar one, in my humble opinion. But yeah, Ratt definitely kicks ass. I even own a VHS tape of their music videos from the mid-1980s. Great fucking band. I also enjoyed Tokyo Blade's glam albums by the late '80s...

Erisgaroth
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:44 am 

Broken - Nine Inch Nails
To me, it's the heaviest work of Reznor in NIN, (though The Downward Spiral is good, but some songs are kinda slow compared to those from Broken) Too bad the EP Is too short.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 43  Next