Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
gnarlbro
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 5:51 am 

I would hope there are at least a few skateboarders on here, as metal and skateboarding go hand in hand for me. Skateboarding introduced me to metal, and when I was growing up I always looked up to a few older dudes that ripped bowls and blasted deicide and slayer at the skatepark. Eventually i got to know them and we would go skate all over and i was introduced to some of my favorite bands. Nowadays i dont know a single person that i can relate to musically on the same level as those guys. I fear that the metalhead/skateboarder is a thing of the past. Anyone else still out there?

(If you're about to write "i used to skate" you're a bummer...)

CardsOfWar
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:14 am 

I'm probably a bummer, (I don't skateboard anywhere) but there's this one guy I play D&D with that skateboards everywhere he goes. He's a pretty cool guy and is generally chilled out and easygoing about everything . One time I was with him he fell off his skateboard, and he was anything but easygoing. He said, "Seven years skating and I haven't fallen off once," then walked off (leaving his skateboard) and pretty much didn't say or do anything for the next three weeks. It was a kind of odd encounter.

So yeah, sorry I don't have anything to add to this thread but an inane anecdote... Er, good luck thread!

last.fm here:
http://www.last.fm/user/CardsOfWar

BasqueStorm
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 7:11 am 

gnarlbro wrote:
I would hope there are at least a few skateboarders on here, as metal and skateboarding go hand in hand for me. Skateboarding introduced me to metal, and when I was growing up I always looked up to a few older dudes that ripped bowls and blasted deicide and slayer at the skatepark. Eventually i got to know them and we would go skate all over and i was introduced to some of my favorite bands. Nowadays i dont know a single person that i can relate to musically on the same level as those guys. I fear that the metalhead/skateboarder is a thing of the past. Anyone else still out there?
(If you're about to write "i used to skate" you're a bummer...)

I used when I was a kid and came back not long ago but I take it easy since I'm getting old! LOL!
Some videos I took in a skatepark near where I live:

Youtube: show

P.D: And the mandatory Deftones reference:
http://viviendoapesardelacrisis.blogspot.com.es/2013/04/chi-cheng-bajista-de-deftones-muere.html

LOL!

Rofl!

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:03 am 

I'm a bummer, I guess. I still have my old Girl board and built the thing when I was 16. Skated everyday from 13-20 years old but after college it became less and less frequent, I'll dig up my board when I get home and take a pic, thing still rules and I'll still keep it maintained. I can still do it, and maybe I'll pick it up in the summer again. I'll have to practice a bit though, nothing more depressing than a 26 year old who needs to wear pads...

But, with that said, back in the day it was Slayer/NOFX/Cannibal Corpse and weed smoke. We used to tear up this abandoned building's parking lot and skate around the floors of the place. It was fuckin rad. I really want to skate again.

https://bptst.bandcamp.com/- ambient
last.fm

CF_Mono
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 2:47 pm 

I've seen a couple kids commute to classes on longboard around here and have considered getting one of my own for the same purpose. I'd look like a total noob, but I can't get over the practicality of owning something like that, at least for school if not for cruising and whatnot.

MonumentalBlackArt
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 2:54 pm 

Everyone who longboards is a fucking douche. Don't do it! Skating on the other hand is legit. I used to shred up the local skate park when I was in elementary and middle school. I used to be pretty good actually. I broke out my old board last summer but couldn't really do any tricks. Well see how this summer goes; there's a new skate park near my college so I'll try it out this spring.

Grave_Wyrm
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 3:18 pm 

Some people cruise around campus on boards of various sizes (virtually never are they girls) -- anywhere from long boards to those really small, bright ones. It definitely looks more comfortable than walking everywhere .. until I think about having to do something with it in class, and eventually carry it uphill.

I can't say that ANYONE ON LONG BOARD IS DOUCHE (seeing as it isn't the long board that makes the douche, and since they look very stable and comfortable to ride -- as a conveyance I think they're quite appealing in flat areas), but I generally think that doing so while looking at shit on your phone is grounds for having a sock dropped in your way. Doing the Commuting Nerd Slalom on the slopes of the main entrance is pretty fucking stupid, too. Luckily there's a big redwood in the middle of it. Hopefully one of these dudes will do like that speeder bike. Oh I would chortle.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 3:27 pm 

11-14 (2001-2004) I was big into skateboarding. I sucked at it but I idolized Rodney Mullen and was huge into alternative rock / pop-punk / whatever. Pretty douchey looking back at it though I had a little fun with it (and a lot of falls). Grew out of it by 14 and then I started hearing metal bands so that drew me away from the lifestyle.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

dystopia4
Thumbman

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:49 pm 

Man, I miss skating. Used to be pretty alright when I was 13, could do three flips, double kick flips, ollie 7 stairs etc., but then I got into smoking weed and ended up skating less and less. If finances allow, might buy a new board and hit up the bowl at the local skatepark this summer.

JohnTheDrummer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 7:11 pm 

I had a few boards, but was never good. I'd mainly just do some beginning flat land stuff in my garage while listening to Powerman 5000 ( :lol: ). After I realized I sucked, I took the trucks off of it and would use it on my trampoline... now THAT was fun, especially since there was no fear of falling on pavement and messing myself up :D

Haven't done it it many years, but sure do miss those days. (and replaying TOny Hawk's Pro Skater made me miss it even more)
http://www.facebook.com/funeralageofficial

Dalla Nebbia
http://www.facebook.com/dallanebbiamusic
http://www.dallanebbia.bandcamp.com

Pregnantus
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 1:48 am 

12 year olds.

gnarlbro
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 4:39 am 

To everyone who is technically a bummer: go to the nearest skatepark and roll around. Definitely do not get a longboard or one of those terribly annoying little plastic boards. If you're looking for transportation, bikes work great. Gotta say im a bit surprised at the lack of responses from old school heshers, but hopefully a couple of you give it another shot. Skateboarding needs more metalheads like the good ol days before shit garggling pussys like rob dyrdek and ryan sheckler started fagging it up.

gnarlbro
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 4:42 am 

Pregnantus wrote:
12 year olds.

get fucked.

CardsOfWar
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 6:47 am 

gnarlbro wrote:
Skateboarding needs more metalheads like the good ol days before shit garggling pussys like rob dyrdek and ryan sheckler started fagging it up.

I would be eminently more likely to start skateboarding if you weren't such a dick about it. (But I'm probably a shit-gargling pussy anyway so w/e)

last.fm here:
http://www.last.fm/user/CardsOfWar

bug_man
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 7:14 am 

Pregnantus wrote:
12 year olds.

theposega
Poser Slayer Grindman Arselick Level X

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 1:07 pm 

I used to Tony Hawk's Pro Skater pretty much ruled my first-grader ass with an iron fist and I started trying to actually skate as a result. I totally idolized Tony Hawk and started riding goofy foot just so I could be like Tony. Anyways, flash forward to sixth grade and the lackluster Tony Hawk's Underground 2 in addition to my pudgy ass having never learned to ollie or anything after five years, I pretty much hung it up.

Occasionally I like to hit up YouTube and watch skate videos or episodes of Epicly Later'd but yeah, that's about as far as my involvement went/goes.

gnarlbro
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 6:55 pm 

CardsOfWar wrote:
gnarlbro wrote:
Skateboarding needs more metalheads like the good ol days before shit garggling pussys like rob dyrdek and ryan sheckler started fagging it up.

I would be eminently more likely to start skateboarding if you weren't such a dick about it. (But I'm probably a shit-gargling pussy anyway so w/e)

If you take my insulting people that have nothing to do with you as being a dick, then yes, you are likely just what you say you are.

DeadXManiac
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 1:19 am 

I used to skate in elementry/early high school, now I mainly longboard as it's easy than walking 25 min from bus stop to home/work.

Last.fm

CF_Mono
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 2:42 am 

Today I learned longboarding is the deathcore of skateboarding.

gnarlbro
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 3:32 am 

CF_Mono wrote:

Well put

Roxyben
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 3:38 pm 

CF_Mono wrote:

Why is that? I have two longboards and they definitely have their place. As for skating i started in 1999 and I am still going strong! Seen so many of my friends drop out of skating through the years due to commitments and kids, I still do it because i enjoy it. Simple really. See very few skaters who are in to metal though. Hardly any.

the_raytownian
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 8:20 am 

gnarlbro wrote:
Gotta say im a bit surprised at the lack of responses from old school heshers

gnarlbro wrote:
Skateboarding needs more metalheads like the good ol days before shit garggling pussys [...] started fagging it up.

Is this some mid-life crisis thing or what? Gross.

Reply to topic