Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
traxan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 4:57 pm 

I'm curious what kinds of collectors are here. I am a numismatist, aka, a coin collector. But I also collect paper currency although it gets expensive as hell.

I'm in the US so my collection is old American currency, meaning I have enough silver in my room to hunt werewolves. My favorite coin is the Walking Liberty half dollar, stamped from 1916 to 1948 before being replaced with the Ben Franklin half dollar. It is a beautiful coin designed by a German immigrant who became a rather popular sculptor here in the States.

My collection also includes half dollar Franklins and Kennedys, including the rare "accented hair" Kennedy, many Morgan silver dollars, Peace dollars and proof quarters from pre-1965 when we stopped using silver.

I like collecting these things because they tell the story of American history. How certain people were chosen to be on currency, for example, or the back story behind a coin. Some times, they are just plain funny. In the late 1890s, the Treasury chose an Indian chief named Running Antelope to adorn the $5 bill. His portrait came out beautiful but there was one problem. The head dress he wore was incorrect for his tribe. The Treasury told him that his head dress was too big and wouldn't fit in the image, so they improvised. He wasn't amused.

So, what other collectors do we have here?

rexxz
Retired my ass!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 4:59 pm 

I'm too poor to collect anything other than memories.

Nah but seriously, I "collect" books and music gear/software... I guess that counts? I use quotes because I don't really buy as much as I'd like to, so it's barely a collection.

One of my childhood friends' grandfather had a coin collection worth over 500k USD when it was evaluated after he died. He gave me some cool shit back when I was like 12 years old.

Festivus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 5:09 pm 

I think there was a collections thread already a year or two ago, but no worries.

Well I don't really collect anything per se. I mean, if I told you about which games I own or which action figures I own(yes, I'm 26 and still haven't thrown my toys away, problem?) I'm gonna call it "my collection". But that's because it sounds better than saying "The games I own" or the "action figures I own". I mean, if you like buying similar products of something then you're collecting them. But the thing is, there's various types of collectors. Some people will buy every single game ever just for the heck of it and even leave lots of unsealed copies. I cannot understand that mentality. Why would I want to own every single SNES game including bad games like Shaq Fu? I know that you can do whatever you want with what you buy, but the primary function of a videogame to me is to play it. With an action figure at least you can unbox it and use it for display or as decoration but... well i guess to some people a game inside a box is decoration but to me that's a really odd choice of decor.

So yeah, I own lots of games and also several ninja Turtles and wrestling action figures. Some of them are in poor shape, though. I used to play a lot with them when I was a kid as you can imagine. I'd say a "trve collector" would have each of their collection pieces in a good state.

I also own several metal band t-shirts which I guess counts as well.

Wouldn't mind making a mug collection. Seems fairly cheap. I'd also totally collect football jerseys if they weren't so overpriced.

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 5:25 pm 

Well now we know whose room to find and raid like the pirates we are.

I'm a beginning collector of glassware. It started a while back when I was getting into cocktails. I like antiquing in short bursts .. it gets old really fast.

I've started making more of a point of building my book collection. I've recently turned to history as a hobby, and while I'm not that invested in hunting down rare books, exactly, I'm taking the gradual building of my personal library pretty seriously. I look for interesting books or well-preserved/designed copies. I've stopped picking up whatever copy regardless of aesthetics and not caring about much other than the content (unless it's something I'll never see again). I've arranged my history shelf in chronological order of universal/global timeline, too, which I like because this includes my physical science and natural history books. Microhistory is collecting to the far right, although it's likely to eventually be filtered into the timeline according to the earliest piece of research ('Compass,' for instance, will appear at the point when the compass was invented), but for now I like them all clumped together.

Latest additions: 'Paper' by Mark Kurlansky; 'Rats,' by Robert Sullivan; 'The Sea & Civilization: A Maritime History of the World,' by Lincoln Paine.

Oxenkiller
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 5:49 pm 

I'm a numismatist I guess, but I stick to old Roman era coins, focusing on the Roman emporers up through Constantine. A lot of history and intrigue behind that era. Plus the coins are relatively affordable, and you can hold something 1800-2000 years old in your hand- pretty awesome. Old American coins are too expensive and there is so much demand for them. I saw on E-bay there was a "coin" for sale that was little more than a corroded washer, i.e. junk- that people were bidding over 1000 u.S. dollars on simply because it had once been a 1793 penny with a chain on the back. I guess it was the first penny design ever made or something, but I mean, 1000 dollars for a frickin' corroded washer! That's why I don't collect US coins.

FunkyBurlin
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 6:01 pm 

Oxenkiller wrote:
I'm a numismatist I guess, but I stick to old Roman era coins, focusing on the Roman emporers up through Constantine. A lot of history and intrigue behind that era. Plus the coins are relatively affordable, and you can hold something 1800-2000 years old in your hand- pretty awesome. Old American coins are too expensive and there is so much demand for them. I saw on E-bay there was a "coin" for sale that was little more than a corroded washer, i.e. junk- that people were bidding over 1000 u.S. dollars on simply because it had once been a 1793 penny with a chain on the back. I guess it was the first penny design ever made or something, but I mean, 1000 dollars for a frickin' corroded washer! That's why I don't collect US coins.

Out of curiosity how did you get into collecting these in the first place? Also can you root back your passion to something from your youth, if the first question doesn't specifically go hand in hand? Finally, why just coins? What about coins specifically and not other artifacts from Roman times sparks your intrigue?

circleofdestruction
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:32 pm 

I used to collect coins but stopped at some point, I just lost interest. I have a lot of books and a closet full of black metal shirts, also. There are other things now, since I have no life:

Silent Hill stuff, games on different formats, books, figures, keychains, etc.

Star Trek stuff, but mostly Spock figures, though I haven't bought much lately.

David Bowie stuff from 1974, mainly, but also box sets, pic discs, colored vinyl, etc. but anything that's not from the 80s is good.

Elton John stuff, mostly from 1975, but also pic discs, 45s, books, concert programs, box sets, bobble heads, sheet music, etc. from whenever but mostly before 1990.

Festivus wrote:
I'd say a "trve collector" would have each of their collection pieces in a good state.

Yeah, I've nearly made people's heads explode because when I get a figure/statue or something, the first thing I do is open it. People even do this with rare DVDs. DVDs are for putting in the DVD playing and watching, as far as I'm concerned. And if I get a figure and don't open it, I feel like I don't own it, I haven't even seen it, really.
CircleOfDestruction zine #18|Video-Nasties.net | My Art Site

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:53 pm 

Hmmm it's crystal decanters for me, so I can put my scotch in them. Can get them fairly cheaply at a second hand/antique store, and they look glorious with a delicious liquid reflecting the light of the room.

My collection

Therizinosaur
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:39 pm 

Tabletop RPG's for me. Stopped for a while, came back to it recently. Never seem to be able to find anyone to play the ones I want to do, though, as everyone seems to only want to play D&D, Pathfinder, or Call of Cthulhu. If only there'd be people willing to try Ars Magica, Hero, or The Burning Wheel. Maybe someday.

circleofdestruction wrote:
Yeah, I've nearly made people's heads explode because when I get a figure/statue or something, the first thing I do is open it. People even do this with rare DVDs. DVDs are for putting in the DVD playing and watching, as far as I'm concerned. And if I get a figure and don't open it, I feel like I don't own it, I haven't even seen it, really.

Never got that mentality either. Always felt that if you have something, you should use it and not have it sit around and collect dust.

MorbidEngel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 2:02 am 

I'm a video game collector here.

Have the following systems + games for them:
NES SNES Virutal Boy N64 GC Wii Wii U
PS1 PS2 PS3 PS4
2600 5200 7800 Jaguar
Master System Genesis Saturn (JP)
Xbox One 3DO Turbografx-16 Intellivision
Game Boy GBPocket GBColor GBAdvance DS 3DS N3DS
PSP Vita Lynx Game Gear

I've already preordered a Switch, looking to get a Dreamcast soon, and get a Sega CD and Colecovision in the future as well.

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 4:49 am 

CrushedRevelation wrote:
Hmmm it's crystal decanters for me, so I can put my scotch in them. Can get them fairly cheaply at a second hand/antique store, and they look glorious with a delicious liquid reflecting the light of the room.

Ah, my distant brother. I would have many of these in use already, except I fear the time the precious liquid would spend accumulating potential lead.

severzhavnost
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:51 am 

I sort of accidentally started up a coin collection, while working at a grocery store in an immigrant-heavy neighbourhood. Many customers mixed up their foreign and Canadian currencies, so I took to swapping them out for the nearest-looking Canadian counterparts from my own pocket. Among others, I've picked up over 4,000 Lebanese pounds, a 20 Norwegian krone, even a 50 chhetrum piece from Bhutan. Also I have no idea what was going on in my head to mistake a Portugese escudo for a $20 bill, but that happened!

Unity
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 12:27 pm 

Heh, yeah, I did a thread about this a while ago... :p

I used to collect toys and militaria, but these days I only collect football scarves. I have about 100. I've decided to collect absinthe bottles too.

traxan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 3:13 pm 

Oxenkiller wrote:

Preaching to the choir on that one. :) I doubt I will ever own a Carson City Morgan silver dollar because they are so rare, damn Germans.

Ok, I have to explain that one.

In 1918 during WW I, the Germans told the Indians, who were a British colony at the time, that England didn't have enough silver to back its paper money. Back then they were still on the silver standard and you could cash in paper money for its face value in silver. Well, the Indians started hoarding silver out of fear of being stuck with worthless paper money. This caused a real shortage in Britain. So Britain turned to the US and said HELP! The US responded with the Pittman Act, which recalled 375 million Morgan silver dollar coins (named after the sculptor who designed it), melted them down and gave it to England to keep their economy from collapsing. Think about that. The Morgan dollar was a huge coin. It weighed nearly an ounce. Now imagine 375 million being melted down.

It was brilliant psychological warfare on Germany's part but it damn near wiped out the Morgan. Very few survived. We had larger mints, like Denver and Philadelphia, but there was also a small, temporary mint in Carson City, Nevada. Nevada has lots of silver mines, hence its motto "The Silver State." Some Morgans were made there. Those that survived go for tens of thousands of dollars.

Off topic to me, but I know a musician who is a WW II Luftwaffe collector. Like Lemmy, he collects it for the coolness factor and does not condone the Nazis, he's just an aviation geek whose interest is confined to the Luftwaffe. There's a whole Web site for Nazi memorabilia collectors called Wehrmacht Awards where that's all they discuss is buying and trading Wehrmacht memorabilia, identify fakes, etc.

Oxenkiller
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 4:19 pm 

I got into collecting coins for two reasons, first of all, my aunt had purchased from the government three silver dollars which she gave to me for college graduation. The story about the Carson City silver dollars is accurate, but during the early 1880s, the government also recalled a few million and stored them, and later re-sold them to the public, so the three I got from my aunt were among those. Carson City dollars dated between 1882 and 1885 are a lot less expensive, worth roughly 250 dollars apiece, and these are the years mine are dated. Around this time, a curio shop had a Constantine-era Roman coin for sale for like 15 dollars, which I thought was pretty cool, and I realized that since this 1700 year old coin was much cheaper than an American coin that was a mere 200 years old, it would be much more rewarding to collect Roman era coins.

OneSizeFitzpatrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:34 pm 

If alcohol counts, I'd consider myself a collector of booze.. otherwise, I'm just an alcoholic that likes to keep a shelf nice.

I've also always had an interest in weapons, though I don't own anything really authentic, but I've got a couple decent Katana replicas, a big Chinese fightin' spear called a Hsu Kwan Dao, and a Cossack sword called a shashka, kinda similar to a cavalry saber except not as curved and a little bit longer. Recently I've been more into guns than swords (can't really afford to buy half the guns I'd like to own anyways), in the last year and a half I've bought 3. One Serbian AKM variant, a Spanish 9mm handgun that looks almost identical to a government issue M1911 without $2,000 price tag and a PTR91 which is a U.S. made clone of the Hechler and Koch G3 rifle.

Reply to topic