Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
deadtome
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2023 7:05 pm 

What kind of beer do you dudes like??
Fancy bougie IPA's?
Dark bougie beers?
Bougie ass beers?
There are so many damn fancy ass beers out there and spendy too.

What's the consensus?? Bougie beer or just good ole beer?!

Thexhumed
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2023 7:28 pm 

I tend to cycle between amber types and lager types most of the time, currently being in lager mode.

kazhard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2023 7:37 pm 

Ipa or double IPA all the way. I don’t drink regularly but the other I night I had a damn fine IPA at the restaurant. Another beer that I thoroughly enjoy is a good Cream Ale, very smooth taste.

deadtome
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2023 8:41 pm 

:thumbsup: Awesome lads.

I like Fosters first and foremost. Also New Castle, Bass, Radlers are great at the end of an oil can session :love:

joppek
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2023 3:25 am 

scottish style strong ales are my fav (aka wee heavies, aka 90 shilling). always down for a good old pint of bitter. every damn decently hopped ale is called an ipa these days, so there's good ones and terrible ones. a cold tastes-of-nothing lager can be nice on a hot day, tho' shit like budweiser gets way too watery.

deadtome
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2023 8:30 am 

joppek wrote:
scottish style strong ales are my fav (aka wee heavies, aka 90 shilling). always down for a good old pint of bitter. every damn decently hopped ale is called an ipa these days, so there's good ones and terrible ones. a cold tastes-of-nothing lager can be nice on a hot day, tho' shit like budweiser gets way too watery.

Ah, had to look up your 90 shilling. Doesn't go over 12% as that isn't possible for brew. Never been a fan of bitter, even the Fosters bitter.

Raven_Augustus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2023 11:30 am 

I prefer pilsner beer. Nice mild taste. Budweiser is always a good choice, or I'll have something local.

I generally don't like IPAs (some taste like soapy water to me, sorry), but I remember drinking one that was so good, but I have never been able to find it again. It was from a black and white can, but I don't remember the name.

linkavitch
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2023 11:51 am 

I like a nice Oktoberfest beer but sadly they're hard to come by here so I only have them when traveling. My favorite beers are Trappist beers, particularly from Orval and Chimay, Abbey Dubbel being my favorite Chimay.

Raven_Augustus wrote:
I prefer pilsner beer. Nice mild taste. Budweiser is always a good choice, or I'll have something local.

I generally don't like IPAs (some taste like soapy water to me, sorry), but I remember drinking one that was so good, but I have never been able to find it again. It was from a black and white can, but I don't remember the name.

I agree with you on IPAs I cannot get into them. The only one I had that I somewhat liked was Goose IPA.

deadtome
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2023 5:00 pm 

Yah, it's so funny to me to see guys, or gals come into the Record store and try to figure out what kind of fancy IPA to drink :)
Then, sometimes folks turn to me and disparage me in my choice of Fosters :) Fawkin' love it!
Like I'm being outdone alcoholically hahahaha

pyratebastard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2023 5:07 pm 

Pilsner Urquell is my favorite beer ever. I got to spend my birthday this year in Czech Republic where I toured the brewery and followed that up with a Viktoria Plzen football game across the river. Fucking great day.

I haven't really met a Czech lager that I haven't liked. The dark lagers there are fantastic as well. German pilsners I'm a little more hit-or-miss on. I tend to like any helles I meet, and when I'm in the mood, wheat beers are good, too. I'm also pretty into Mexican lagers like Bohemia, and especially the dark Mexican lagers like Negro Modelo.

I like radlers/shandies as well. Leinenkugel's has some great ones, and it's hard to go wrong with Stiegl, either.

I've always loved some darker beers, too. Smithwick's is one of my go-tos if it's on tap (gotta love the inevitable presence of an Irish pub no matter where you are in the world!) Many years ago, Guinness Extra Stout was my regular beer, so I still like to have those when I come across them.

I've never been a fan of most IPAs. There are a few I don't mind having once in a while, but I usually do not crave that taste. I am a fan of sours, though.

Outside of beer, I also love a good cider - the drier, the better.

Purveyor of absolute bastardry.

Only_Perception wrote:
I guess most people here are just standard copy pastes more concerned with defending the honor of celebrities than thinking about music.

deadtome
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2023 6:12 pm 

pyratebastard wrote:
Pilsner Urquell is my favorite beer ever. I got to spend my birthday this year in Czech Republic where I toured the brewery and followed that up with a Viktoria Plzen football game across the river. Fucking great day.

I haven't really met a Czech lager that I haven't liked. The dark lagers there are fantastic as well. German pilsners I'm a little more hit-or-miss on. I tend to like any helles I meet, and when I'm in the mood, wheat beers are good, too. I'm also pretty into Mexican lagers like Bohemia, and especially the dark Mexican lagers like Negro Modelo.

I like radlers/shandies as well. Leinenkugel's has some great ones, and it's hard to go wrong with Stiegl, either.

I've always loved some darker beers, too. Smithwick's is one of my go-tos if it's on tap (gotta love the inevitable presence of an Irish pub no matter where you are in the world!) Many years ago, Guinness Extra Stout was my regular beer, so I still like to have those when I come across them.

I've never been a fan of most IPAs. There are a few I don't mind having once in a while, but I usually do not crave that taste. I am a fan of sours, though.

Outside of beer, I also love a good cider - the drier, the better.

Kyllä!
Stiegl is my brand for the raddy. I like the sour's too, always forget about those. There is usually a sour on the board at the record store.

DeadKid
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2023 11:22 pm 

I prefer brown ale, amber ale & English bitter, but none of those are common here so APAs are a good 4th choice for something similar. Or otherwise I'll go with an IPA, but they can be really variable and sometimes taste fruity/soapy as already mentioned. Not that that's necessarily a bad thing. I like sours as an occasional thing.

Once I got a taste for ales I never cared for lagers any more, including the mass-produced "ales" here in NZ that are cold fermented with lager yeast or whatever. I'll still drink them if it's all that's available.

Waltz_of_Ghouls
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2023 9:41 am 

For me, it's mainly IPAs, farmhouses and gueuzes/lambics during spring and summer and during autumn and winter, barrel aged imperial stout/barley wines/scotch ales.
Fire walk with me"

Benedict Donald
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2023 1:20 pm 

I enjoy too many brands, and types, to list here. But, based on the season, if you enjoy pumpkin, then Schafly's Pumpkin Ale is not to be missed. (They're an American brewer, located in the midwest. Not sure how widely available it is.) Most pumpkin beers are weak or just not worth the time, IMO. This is the exception:

https://www.schlafly.com/beer/#seasonal

deadtome
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2023 1:29 pm 

Benedict Donald wrote:
I enjoy too many brands, and types, to list here. But, based on the season, if you enjoy pumpkin, then Schafly's Pumpkin Ale is not to be missed. (They're an American brewer, located in the midwest. Not sure how widely available it is.) Most pumpkin beers are weak or just not worth the time, IMO. This is the exception:

https://www.schlafly.com/beer/#seasonal

Thanx for the recommendation and every time I see your user name I think of Eggs Benedict haha! But hey, eggs bene are fucking delicious.

deadtome
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2023 8:39 am 

Who likes to have beer just for taste versus getting ripped?

Forever Underground
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2023 11:27 am 

linkavitch
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2023 12:24 pm 

deadtome wrote:

I drink it for the taste. If I'm drinking to get drunk I'll pick something stronger and less filling than beer.

LordOblivion
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2023 1:57 pm 

Awesome thread!

Since its the season, I've been enjoying my fair share of Märzens. At a local Oktoberfest I had a really tasty Rauchbier...it had a really tiny hint of smokiness that lingered. I haven't had too many of those.

deadtome
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2023 3:50 pm 

linkavitch wrote:
deadtome wrote:

I drink it for the taste. If I'm drinking to get drunk I'll pick something stronger and less filling than beer.

Very good point.

deadtome
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2023 3:51 pm 

Forever Underground wrote:

Just gotta say, that looks inviting :eek:

draconiondevil
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2023 12:15 pm 

IPAs all the way. The hoppier the better.

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2023 12:14 pm 

It depends usually, but my go to beer styles are hazy IPA/DIPAs (less than 50ish IBU range), porters and smoothie/pastry sours.
These two beers have been my recent favorites:
https://untappd.com/b/verdant-brewing-c ... on/4156428
https://untappd.com/b/barebottle-brewin ... de/3321969

deadtome
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2023 8:16 pm 

shouvince wrote:
It depends usually, but my go to beer styles are hazy IPA/DIPAs (less than 50ish IBU range), porters and smoothie/pastry sours.

What part of the world? I don't recognize your alcohol %: 50 IBU?
Kippis!

mirons
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2023 5:12 am 

For me it is IPA's, preferably of the West Coast style. I don't mind also hazy/NEIPA, but they tend to be too sweet and fruity to crave more than one or two in a sitting. Actually my most favorite style is Red IPA or whatever they get called - darker, amber colored hoppy ales that overlap with the more malty variants of IPA. Too bad they aren't exactly in fashion right now and are harder to find.

Of course, I also don't mind other styles of beer and will have at least one of almost any style if it's done well enough. That includes also sour ales although with the fruited sours often I keep asking myself why would I pay premium price for something that tastes pretty much like natural juice, maybe with a hint of hops.

However, the majority of beer I end up drinking is most probably lager, simply due to it's ubiquity.

mirons
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2023 5:26 am 

deadtome wrote:
shouvince wrote:

Kippis!

IBU = International Bitterness Units. Nothing to do with alcohol content. Although it must be said that there isn't a direct relation between the indicated IBU rating and perceived bitterness. The IBU rating is usually calculated from the characteristics and amounts of hops that go into the brewing process, but the perceived bitterness depends a lot on the body of the beer - thinner, lighter beer will taste more bitter at any given IBU than a full-bodied malty one. Also, there is a limit somewhere as to levels of bitterness human tastebuds can differentiate between. Mikkeller had an IPA called 1000 IBU - it sure tasted rather bitter, but not moreso than IPAs in the 100 IBU range.

deadtome
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2023 2:48 pm 

mirons wrote:
deadtome wrote:
shouvince wrote:

Kippis!

IBU = International Bitterness Units. Nothing to do with alcohol content. Although it must be said that there isn't a direct relation between the indicated IBU rating and perceived bitterness. The IBU rating is usually calculated from the characteristics and amounts of hops that go into the brewing process, but the perceived bitterness depends a lot on the body of the beer - thinner, lighter beer will taste more bitter at any given IBU than a full-bodied malty one. Also, there is a limit somewhere as to levels of bitterness human tastebuds can differentiate between. Mikkeller had an IPA called 1000 IBU - it sure tasted rather bitter, but not moreso than IPAs in the 100 IBU range.

Thanx for the info, interesting.

j_bentley12885
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2023 6:28 pm 

I mainly drink cheap ass lager. Cause I'm a drunkard and it's inexpensive. But I also like to branch out.
In the summer time I lean towards Sierra Nevada pale ale and Torpedo. I like the IPAs that Founders and Bell's put out. Also Dale's pale ale from Oskar Blues. As the weather turns colder I tend to reach for the darker beers. Great Lakes, Bell's and Founders all make decent porters. Founders breakfast stout is also a common one around my fridge. I also like Sierra Nevada barley wine. Love a good strong ale. Not sure what bougie ass beer is.
Cheers!

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2023 7:11 pm 

Narragansetts and Pilsener Urquells are a mainstay for me. Love a nice crisp easy drinking beer, and one that isn't fucking piss water like a lot of American domestics...

But I'm equal opportunity... brown ales, red ales, even some IPAs like Dogfish Head or Bells Two Hearted or something can be good. I enjoy the rich bitterness of it all. The breadth of flavors.

deadtome
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2023 7:56 am 

I tried some kind of 10% NITRO last night at the record store before my radio show.......I was already drunk so it wasn't bad :)

democracyiscringe
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2023 5:33 pm 

The best beer is free beer.

The only kind I don't like is hazy stuff that tastes like orange juice, the scourge of new england beer aisles. Luckily no matter where you are in America, there's bound to be a smattering of local microbreweries doing good to great pisners, porters, ambers, west coast IPAs, or whatever else. Beer is probably the best thing about the US right now.

j_bentley12885
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2023 6:16 pm 

democracyiscringe wrote:
The only kind I don't like is hazy stuff that tastes like orange juice

I've had one too many OJ flavored beers myself. It's why I'm less adventurous beerwise. If I wanted orange juice I'd go back to screwdrivers.

deadtome
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2023 3:38 pm 

Radler is pretty good after getting shit faced on my oil cans :)

herra_af_lik
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2023 5:05 pm 

Depends on my mood. I'll go from drinking a stout to a triple IPA. On nights out, I'll be drinking lagers or ales on the discount/cheap side of the money scale.

I got huge into the craft beer scene in 2014. I've noticed a huge decline in the American craft beer that we could get up here. The annoying factor for me is where I live and the restrictions that are being placed on import beers into Ontario, Canada. LCBO has its upsides and downsides.

Other than buying, I do brew my own beer at home. Mostly stouts, ciders and ales.

deadtome
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2023 5:34 pm 

herra_af_lik wrote:
Depends on my mood. I'll go from drinking a stout to a triple IPA. On nights out, I'll be drinking lagers or ales on the discount/cheap side of the money scale.

I got huge into the craft beer scene in 2014. I've noticed a huge decline in the American craft beer that we could get up here. The annoying factor for me is where I live and the restrictions that are being placed on import beers into Ontario, Canada. LCBO has its upsides and downsides.

Other than buying, I do brew my own beer at home. Mostly stouts, ciders and ales.

Ha! My dad brewed beer years ago when we were kids.....smelled the whole house up something terrible hahaha!
Does it stink when you brew?

herra_af_lik
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2023 6:53 pm 

deadtome wrote:
herra_af_lik wrote:

Ha! My dad brewed beer years ago when we were kids.....smelled the whole house up something terrible hahaha!

I've never had it stink. I think it depends on what ingredients are being used. Some hops and grains can have a pretty pungent smell to them.

j_bentley12885
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2023 7:19 pm 

Drinking Bell's Octoberfest lately. Not a bad brew. I look forward to it every year.

deadtome
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2023 7:26 pm 

herra_af_lik wrote:
deadtome wrote:
herra_af_lik wrote:

I've never had it stink. I think it depends on what ingredients are being used. Some hops and grains can have a pretty pungent smell to them.

I still have boxes upon boxes of his old beer can collection too. I tried to get rid of them years ago but couldn't find any collectors near me.

Lane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2023 3:16 pm 

I'm a lager man. I like it mild. I do not like sour beer. Radler is good stuff too.

Face_your_fear_79
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2023 9:22 pm 

Budweiser fine for me. Coors lite as well.

Reply to topic Go to page 1, 2  Next