Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic  
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:22 am 

Since there are a number of knowledgeable musicians on this forum (and yet this topic isn't exactly musical in nature, hence I posted it here instead), I thought I would try a shot in the dark and see if anyone has any info regarding this.

Basically, since 2007 or earlier, Korean guitar factory workers have been complaining of being forced to work in deplorable conditions which health hazardous, and being grossly underpaid for it. Not to mention in the light of all the allegations (on top of blackmailing union members and that kinda stuff), Cort simply moved their factories to China and Indonesia (where it will be even easier to underpay and overwork labourers and a less powerful legal framework to fight against), leaving thousands without a job or any sort of renumerations. It apparently became an international issue too, with representatives showing up at NAMM to highlight the issue, as well as members of Rage Against The Machine and System of a Down getting involved and trying to bring it to light.

I've been able to find quite a bit of info on it but hardly any on how it was eventually resolved (or if it is still ongoing, for that matter). It would also be interesting to hear more views about the topic. I generally felt a tiny bit uncomfortable about selling Cort guitars at work for a bit but I reasoned to myself that a complete boycott would hurt the workers as well. I suppose the only real option is to contact the company and press for answers, that sort of activist thing.

TheLiberation
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:55 am 

Wasn't aware of this and I find that quite surprising... I'd expect South Korea to have good standards and laws in this aspect.

somefella
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:36 am 

It's pretty bad, you can take a look at this for a quick summary : http://cortaction.wordpress.com/about/

Being made to work in terrible conditions with terrible pay for years, anyone who get injured is made to resign so the company doesn't need to pay compensation, and to top it off, once the union manages to negotiate a minimum wage, the company packs up and moves off, leaving hundreds of workers jobless after exploiting them for so long.

Reply to topic