Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
volutetheswarth
Our Lady of Perpetual Butthurt

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:06 pm 

hunglikemouse wrote:
Great show but the season is too short for the amount of awesomeness.

Agreed, although I'd personally hate for it to be 12 episodes as it'd drag (too much for it's own good) and feel less like a drawn-out movie. Plus there's almost a real time feeling with how things have steadily progressed in the story, it's no 24 but I do sense urgency and importance. My problem is once this season is over Cohle and Hart won't be back. Switching it up so dramatically could be the show's undoing, but then I'd also hate for the same confessional setting a second time around.

niix
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:08 pm 

volutetheswarth wrote:
hunglikemouse wrote:
Great show but the season is too short for the amount of awesomeness.

Agreed, although I'd personally hate for it to be 12 episodes as it'd drag (too much for it's own good) and feel less like a drawn-out movie. Plus there's almost a real time feeling with how things have steadily progressed in the story, it's no 24 but I do sense urgency and importance. My problem is once this season is over Cohle and Hart won't be back. Switching it up so dramatically could be the show's undoing, but then I'd also hate for the same confessional setting a second time around.

have a feeling it will only be a mini-series.. nothing after whatever they release now. the production, dynamics of subject matter, and the current wave of 'too awesome right away feeling it has gives that feeling that this is just a one round spin.. maybe so whoever produced/directed can use TD as a way to show what they can do; only to all split up and go on producing more badass stuff?

CoF
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:20 pm 

Ok, I haven't read this article before: http://screencrush.com/hbo-true-detecti ... atto-2015/

Well, if the whole case is wrapped in this season, then there still must be much in store for all the remaining episode. Good news for those who complain there's too little going on in the show.

niix
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:31 pm 

CoF wrote:
Ok, I haven't read this article before: http://screencrush.com/hbo-true-detecti ... atto-2015/

Well, if the whole case is wrapped in this season, then there still must be much in store for all the remaining episode. Good news for those who complain there's too little going on in the show.

thanks for that, first time seeing that article as well.. seems fifty/fifty to me though..
too little going on? there is actually so much to take in by the end.. no freaking pun intended..
it really did not feel like an hour of my time at all..

CoF
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:46 pm 

i don't have this opinion, but the pace of the show is certainly the main criticism in negative reviews... probably comes from people who never watched The Wire.

volutetheswarth

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:38 pm 

CoF wrote:
I was under the impression everyone knew, hence my Cohle and Hart comment, there was a previous article to the above mentioned after the first episode which mentioned HBO looking for a renewal. I'm putting my cards on at least two more seasons, it's received too strong of a positive reaction for it not to continue.

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:01 pm 

Pacing problems? :scratch: Can't reason with retards, I suppose.

Anyone have any idea how many episodes the first season is supposed to ultimately have? Though it'd be incredible to get a second season of the same story arc and characters, I'd also be excited to get a completely different experience in each successive season in the anthology format described, provided the quality level remained roughly the same.

niix
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:25 pm 

Under_Starmere wrote:
Pacing problems? :scratch: Can't reason with retards, I suppose.

Anyone have any idea how many episodes the first season is supposed to ultimately have? Though it'd be incredible to get a second season of the same story arc and characters, I'd also be excited to get a completely different experience in each successive season in the anthology format described, provided the quality level remained roughly the same.

it is not that the retards find a pace problem, it is just that everyone nowadays is used to the in your face, sudden shit happening pace.. at least that is what i see around me.. people around here in these parts seem to have such a heart for shows like the Voice.. even WWE! severed fuck me! TD comes on and they ask, 'this Law & Order durr?'
i am seeing it will air, eight(?) episodes.. hopefully they keep the photography crew as well..such stunning shots!

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:32 pm 

Yeah the cinematography is top-notch. I wouldn't imagine that aspect of the show would change, regardless of where they went with the story format.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:38 pm 

Tried watching that Vikings show from The History Channel, and it's just about the dumbest shit ever. Couldn't even get past the first episode. Nice production values, but dear god, that writing. Does anyone know if it gets less horrible as it goes on?
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:09 pm 

I really enjoyed the entire season. The episode where they go to the Temple at Uppsala that's super trippy and soundtracked almost entirely by Wardruna was brilliant.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

niix
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:15 pm 

iamntbatman wrote:
I really enjoyed the entire season. The episode where they go to the Temple at Uppsala that's super trippy and soundtracked almost entirely by Wardruna was brilliant.

that episode was so lifting!
Spoiler: show
mushrooms and self-accepting sacrafices?! those 'priests' looked like they stepped out of a Meshuggah video

I_Am_Vengeance
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:31 pm 

Anyone been watching Charlie Brooker's Weekly Wipe?

Season's been pretty good so far, Philomena Cunk has been hilarious but I think Limmy is a bit of a misfire. It wasn't on this week so I'm not sure how long he keeps going for?

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:35 am 

Yeah I really like Vikings overall. It's a weird show, but it grew on me.
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:26 am 

Same here. It's certainly got its weaknesses, but overall I'd say it's well worth watching. It definitely gets more involving as it moves along, and the dynamic that develops with Athelstan brings a particularly interesting aspect to the story. Also agree with the above peoples that the thing episode was damn interesting television and one of the best episodes in the season!

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:56 pm 

I don't know, the universally horrible dialog, the kid and his dumb 'rite of passage' thing which we've all seen dozens of times before, the grindingly slow scenes (that 'courtroom' bit lasted like ten fucking minutes and it was cliched and obvious in its direction within the first two), the kid, the cheesy "Damsel in distress... only... NOT" scene, that FUCKING kid, pretty much negated all of the good bits: great production values, fight scenes, incidental music, Fever Ray, decent acting aside from the miscast Byrne...

Again, I've only seen the pilot, but the fact the whole show is written by the same guy who wrote the first episode doesn't really inspire me with confidence...
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:26 pm 

Just watch the whole thing already. It's only nine episodes, sheesh!

newp
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:19 pm 

House of Cards season 2 is out today! It's probably going to eat my whole weekend.

Pippin_Took
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:53 pm 

I was going to try and eke it out over a week or ten days, like I managed with the last one, but starting on a Friday night heading into an otherwise relatively quiet weekend... I have doubts about my self control. Watched the first two episodes just now, and it's as pleasingly bonkers and hollow as the first season. More of the same, hopefully!

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:55 pm 

iamntbatman wrote:
Just watch the whole thing already. It's only nine episodes, sheesh!

That's nothing! I just watched like 2,5 seasons of Castle in less than 2 weeks!

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 2:58 am 

Castle is funny. :) Goofy at times, and it has many procedural clichés, but it's still usually entertaining.

Been watching Hell on Wheels lately. We watched up to episode 6 of S1. Pretty good show. I think my favourite line so far has got to be, "How do you dress yourself, son? With those giant balls of yours?" :lol: And Cullen, damn. I mean, dayum. :eek: Givin' Ichabod Crane a run for his money in terms of ridiculous hotness. Or he would be if he weren't constantly bloodied and slurring drunk. XD
The racial tensions are thicker than ever, I expect a bloodbath soon. :( I hope that one particularly racist piece of shit (forgot his name, the one always antagonizing the non-whites... and considering the time period, calling him "particularly racist" sure says it all) gets scalped soon.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Ohrwurm
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 5:21 am 

Aaand done with House of Cards. Did it in less than 24 hours, hehe. It was as good as I expected.

last.fm

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:23 am 

Morrigan wrote:
Castle is funny. :) Goofy at times, and it has many procedural clichés, but it's still usually entertaining.

Been watching Hell on Wheels lately. We watched up to episode 6 of S1. Pretty good show. I think my favourite line so far has got to be, "How do you dress yourself, son? With those giant balls of yours?" :lol: And Cullen, damn. I mean, dayum. :eek: Givin' Ichabod Crane a run for his money in terms of ridiculous hotness. Or he would be if he weren't constantly bloodied and slurring drunk. XD
The racial tensions are thicker than ever, I expect a bloodbath soon. :( I hope that one particularly racist piece of shit (forgot his name, the one always antagonizing the non-whites... and considering the time period, calling him "particularly racist" sure says it all) gets scalped soon.

Yeah, I'm midway through season 4 right now. Nathan Fillion is awesome (obviously) and even though there is some filler episodes (with 24 episodes seasons, it's gonna happen), it's always fun. I'm anxious to see them become a couple! My mom is up to date with the series and it's hard for her not to give me spoilers haha.

I heard good things about Hell on Wheels, I'll put it on my to watch list. And Anson Mount is handsome for sure, he was considered for the role of Bruce Wayne!

I got the first season of Elementary, I heard discordant opinions about it!

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 5:04 pm 

Haha I showed Morrigan a picture of Anson Mount back when the next actor to play Batman was up for debate. I'm pretty sure that's the entire reason she's watching the show, haha.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 5:47 pm 

:oh shit:

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Wedge_Antilles
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 8:44 pm 

On my first viewing of The Sorpanos. On episode nine of season one, and it's getting better and better.

niix
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:58 pm 

regarding True Detective..
Spoiler: show
..what are chances Marty is the Yellow King? Cohle, idk..

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:49 am 

Nah, neither of them are going to be. That would be insanely silly.
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

niix
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:45 pm 

Nahsil wrote:

i guess i was only in a moment.. it really would be silly, now that moment is far away

severzhavnost
Something Stupid

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:40 pm 

I keep seeing advertisements for something called "Bates Motel"... Why do i get the feeling that incest is an important part of this show?
It’s so powerful that your stomachs will damn.
Bulgogi Kimchi Bibimbap waffle burger! Holy shit! litterally shit!

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:58 pm 

niix wrote:
Nahsil wrote:

i guess i was only in a moment.. it really would be silly, now that moment is far away

Yeah, that would be the lamest, most idiotic plot twist conceivable. Though I'm sure there are plenty of writers out there that would actually try and pass some shit like that off, sadly.

niix
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:33 pm 

lol..uhh yeah i am pretty sure whatever wax and dabs i was smoking sure spoke up..
as for the episode yesterday, wow.. they really think Cohle is doing this.. something tells me he has had quite some leads the whole time he was 'off grid'..

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:50 pm 

I finished Millennium the other day. Things definitely started picking up in the second half of the first season and seasons two and three were pretty thoroughly great, though there was a bit of mytharc stuff in season 2 that was sort of cringey Dan Brown territory (well, the whole main plot is sort of like that, but usually pretty subtle and well-handled). I also just finished the X-Files season 7 episode that "ends" Millennium. It was ok as an episode of TV but basically did fuckall to really wrap things up. I really would've enjoyed a big double episode or movie or something to close the books on that story rather than sort of tangential monster-of-the-week episode in a totally different show. Oh well.

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:21 am 

4 Marvel tv shows coming up in 2015 - Daredevil, Jessica Jones, Iron Fist and Luke Cage.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/27/arts/ ... times&_r=0

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 3:21 pm 

Considering Agents of SHIELD isn't very good, my reaction is: meh.

I'm more interested with the shows DC will do especially the one about Gordon.

OneSizeFitzpatrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 6:41 pm 

I feel like I might be able to give that Vikings show another chance if they didn't use some Lana Del Ray dubstep shit for the commercials that I can't escape on basic cable, I get the feeling it's gonna be like that Sons of Anarchy show that some people just don't shut up about; it has some redeemable moments but marred down by half-assed dialogue and some roadhouse-esque shootouts (or in this case, viking skirmishes).
I just re-watched season 3 of game of thrones and I'm pretty excited for April now. Tywin Lannister is the Walter White of Game of thrones

volutetheswarth

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 6:57 pm 

OneSizeFitzpatrick wrote:
I get the feeling it's gonna be like that Sons of Anarchy show that some people just don't shut up about; it has some redeemable moments but marred down by half-assed dialogue and some roadhouse-esque shootouts
Wait, somebody who doesn't praise SOA?! I thought I was the only one.
Metantoine wrote:
I'm more interested with the shows DC will do especially the one about Gordon.
Totally. I'm giving it a chance because it's based off Gotham Central.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:04 pm 

Vikings is nothing at all like Sons of Anarchy. That's like comparing the movie Gravity to the Total Recall remake.

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:18 pm 

volutetheswarth wrote:
OneSizeFitzpatrick wrote:
I get the feeling it's gonna be like that Sons of Anarchy show that some people just don't shut up about; it has some redeemable moments but marred down by half-assed dialogue and some roadhouse-esque shootouts
Wait, somebody who doesn't praise SOA?! I thought I was the only one.

I didn't like it much either. Checked out the first few episodes but it just seemed mediocre across the board and I didn't give a shit about anything that was happening. Omg dood Ron Perlman roolz! No he doesn't.

HellBlazer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:07 pm 

volutetheswarth wrote:
Totally. I'm giving it a chance because it's based off Gotham Central.

Huh? Source? Pretty sure they're unrelated, just a somewhat similar premise... Though if they had any brains, they'd get Brubaker to write for that show.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56 ... 182  Next