Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
VirginSteele_Helstar
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:27 am 

volutetheswarth wrote:
SleightOfVickonomy wrote:
THE 50 Best TV Dramas Of All Time!!!!!
Obviously I don't agree with all their choices but I found the list to be well worded and the top 20 are at least closer to what would be my own top 20 (or anyone with a bit more taste for that matter!) No prizes if you guess what number 1 is.
I totally agree about their top choice btw! http://www.complex.com/pop-culture/2013 ... -all-time/

That list is so completely random it's silly, all the choices are just whatever is popular and nothing obscure.
I stopped the countdown when I saw Sons of Anarchy rated highly.
Additionally, what's this mass aversion to using the scroll bar and putting the list on one singular page.

Sons of Anarchy is a great show.
Maybe the list is predictable, I'll give you that but it does mention many really good shows and
Spoiler: show
ranking The Wire as number one (and The Walking Dead as the last) is perfect!

"...unto the end I shall lead all into my darkness..."
-James Rivera

LegendMaker wrote:
Most of the very early metal songs that weren't by Sabbath were by Purple. Fucking deal with it.

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:54 am 

VirginSteele_Helstar wrote:
Maybe the list is predictable, I'll give you that but it does mention many really good shows and
ranking The Wire as number one (and The Walking Dead as the last) is perfect!

The Walking Dead shouldn't be mentioned to begin with.

I saw the first Spartacus season and damn, it was excellent. I started with the 2nd one and I'm surprised with Crixus's character so far (I guess people here talked about this before).

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:03 pm 

While The Idiot's Lantern may be the worst episode of Doctor Who I've seen yet (FEEEEED MEEEEE!), The Satan Pit is unquestionably the absolute best. Every single thing about the episode is 100% spot on, from the acting to the drama to the tension to the horror elements to just the episode's existence.

Blacksoul Seraphim Gothic Doom Metal
Autumn's Ashes Melodic Death/Doom Metal

Adriankat
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:00 pm 

David Tennant and Billie Piper are returning for the 50th anniversary special of Doctor Who. :hyper:

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:39 pm 

Subrick wrote:
While The Idiot's Lantern may be the worst episode of Doctor Who I've seen yet (FEEEEED MEEEEE!), The Satan Pit is unquestionably the absolute best. Every single thing about the episode is 100% spot on, from the acting to the drama to the tension to the horror elements to just the episode's existence.

The Satan Pit and its sequel are the best that show ever got. Bar none.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:19 am 

The Satan Pit is actually the second part to The Impossible Planet, which is also a fucking awesome episode of the show.

As for the 50th anniversary special, I'm only up to season 3 (just finished season 2 on Netflix a few hours ago), but I still plan on watching it just because the Tenth Doctor and Rose are coming back.

Also, sadly for me, Christopher Eccleston said no to doing the 50th anniversary show. That sucks because I LOVE the Ninth Doctor.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:24 am 

Yeah I'm not a huge Dr. Who fan but The Impossible Planet/The Satan Pit were great episodes. I just started the season after that, hope there are some more highlights like those, cuz overall I think this show is pretty overrated.
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

Calusari
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:08 am 

Agreed, those were pretty decent episodes. One of the few other storylines that captured a similar sense of tension for me were The Rebel Flesh/The Almost People, in the sixth season; not sure if that's just because that theme interests me.

One of the factors that, I think, really holds back the new seasons (I still think of the older series when I hear 'Doctor Who') from attaining the level of that storyline more often lies in an increasing tendency to get bogged down in its own mythology and stoop to sentimentality more and more. This started, arguably, with Rose Tyler, but that plot arc still - in my view - held its own; after Donna became the companion, though, the occasional hints at the Doctor's conflicted feelings about his long existence and many losses/conflicts became more of a dominant theme. Eventually, every event was part of some ancient epic prophecy, every companion was a 'chosen one' who broke some rule or other of the universe, and the Doctor was prophesied/doomed to die by some eerie, mysterious riddle on such a regular basis that it became tiring. With the very latest season - don't worry, no spoilers - this process has accelerated to such an extent that the new companion is already being mourned as a tragic victim of a grandiose, universe-deciding fate before we've even seen much of her. When it comes to the second episode, for example,
it really seemed to me that the emotions required to become absorbed in Clara's action of offering up that damn leaf, and the plot generally, weren't there yet - they were artificially set up, an empathy and level of caring for this character that drew more on the audience's feelings towards the previous companions than anything that happened here.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:36 am 

Up to about season 3 it was consistently fresh and creative, and though it had some clunkers, the show's sci fi plots were always incredibly thought provoking and well done...combine that with the emotional arcs of the characters, and you had a great show. Season 4 started to get really repetitive, because every episode was the same 'save the world from aliens trying to take it over' kind of storyline. It was still pretty good though, and Donna was one of my favorite companions - plus the season finale was easily the best finale the show had. Season 5 I also really enjoyed - some of the greatest episodes in that one, and Matt Smith is just outstanding.

However season 6 is where the show pretty much lost me, save for a handful of episodes...Calusari is about right; it just got too far up its own ass with its own mythology and got obsessed with a million plot twists and brain-bending time travel things to really be anywhere near as good.

iloveblackmetal
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:51 pm 

Anyone like the series I, Claudius from 1976?

I just love it.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 4:18 pm 

iloveblackmetal wrote:

It's probably the single greatest television series of all time, so... yes. Suck on dat, The Wire (although I still like The Wire).

I could never get into Doctor Who because I simply can't handle the way the show juggles camp with serious. It's just... such an uneasy coalition. One minute there's an evil three-foot robot wearing a toilet plunger for a face and sporting a voice that sounds like Roger Troutman with a broken talkbox and the next there's a young child weeping over his dead father who was murdered right in front of his eyes. It's just... uneasy. The cheesiness is muted by the moroseness or mawkishness and vice versa, leaving me virtually nothing to cling on to.

Also, this Matt Smith guy is fucking terrible. Why is the Doctor getting progressively douchier with each new incarnation?
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 4:25 pm 

Ooh...historical fiction boner. Will hunt down the Claudius. Definitely need something to fill the Ancient Rome vacuum that will be created after the conclusion of Spartacus next week. I, Claudius is like Spartacus, right???

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 4:30 pm 

Yes, exactly. Prepare yourself for SLOW-MO DEREK JACOBI.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 4:34 pm 

darkeningday wrote:
iloveblackmetal wrote:

It's probably the single greatest television series of all time, so... yes. Suck on dat, The Wire (although I still like The Wire).

I could never get into Doctor Who because I simply can't handle the way the show juggles camp with serious. It's just... such an uneasy coalition. One minute there's an evil three-foot robot wearing a toilet plunger for a face and sporting a voice that sounds like Roger Troutman with a broken talkbox and the next there's a young child weeping over his dead father who was murdered right in front of his eyes. It's just... uneasy. The cheesiness is muted by the moroseness or mawkishness and vice versa, leaving me virtually nothing to cling on to.

Also, this Matt Smith guy is fucking terrible. Why is the Doctor getting progressively douchier with each new incarnation?

The actor himself seems douchey from what little I've seen of him outside the role.

And yeah, I can't get behind the way they do camp. It just doesn't make my brain happy.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 4:50 pm 

I also prefer my science-fiction to make something resembling an effort to be science-y, even if the results are often spectacularly bad. On that front, Doctor Who receives a big fat "F," because the whole point of the show seems to be: "to not make any rational or logical or scientific sense."

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 4:52 pm 

Yes, "F" for "Fun", something that you're not familiar with :)

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 4:59 pm 

darkeningday wrote:
Yes, exactly. Prepare yourself for SLOW-MO DEREK JACOBI.

Awesome. Topless political dialogue, here I come!

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 5:02 pm 

Metantoine wrote:
Yes, "F" for "Fun", something that you're not familiar with :)

ohhhhhhh shiiitttttttt! MA drama! It's going down now!

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:25 pm 

Started watching The Shield. Vic is such a damn grey character.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:17 am 

It's a great show. Check out Homicide: Life on the Street as well; it might actually work as a great companion piece to The Shield to showcase the differences between police work in the 90's and 00's.

Calusari
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:29 am 

darkeningday wrote:
I also prefer my science-fiction to make something resembling an effort to be science-y, even if the results are often spectacularly bad. On that front, Doctor Who receives a big fat "F," because the whole point of the show seems to be: "to not make any rational or logical or scientific sense."

Ah, one of my favourite Voyager episodes. I embrace the ludicrous awesomeness.

Doctor Who isn't trying to be that kind of science fiction, though, so judging it according to those lines would be imposing a completely alien standard on the series... I understand preferring that, well, for lack of a better express, science-y stuff - I do myself, generally - but evaluating DW along those lines doesn't seem fitting. The protagonists' current favourite expression is 'timey wimey'; they're not going for quasi-scientific plausibility.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:52 pm 

That Voyager episode is legendary! :lol:

My brother says Homicide is a fantastic show. I think it and "Cracker" are two of his favorites.

Wedge_Antilles
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:45 pm 

Eagerly awaiting the conclusion to the two-part Archer season finale. I'm sad to see the season over, but I'm excited for the inevitable Sealab 2021 references.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:44 pm 

The second season of Millennium, at least as of episode eight, is fucking weird. What a complete 180 in tone, style, overarching plot, dialog and even Mark Snow's music.

I either really like this, or really, really don't. Haven't decided yet.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:12 am 

I just remember that nutty fucking Armageddon-y episode with the guy in the tube or some bizarre shit. :lol:

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:13 am 

It was actually an iron lung, hehe.

There have been many, many spectacular Millennium episodes and that was definitely one of them. This second season may have quite a bit more ambition and general chutzpah than earlier cuts, but the whack Christmas episode and weird jabs at comedy don't seem to be gelling well with what's been established so far. I'm really supposed to be liking this too, since I'm a die-hard Morgan and Wong fan. Any of you guys ever see their Space: Above and Beyond series? I'd be willing to bet it's the best sci-fi series you've never seen ;) .

volutetheswarth
Our Lady of Perpetual Butthurt

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:43 am 

darkeningday wrote:
This second season may have quite a bit more ambition and general chutzpah than earlier cuts, but the whack Christmas episode and weird jabs at comedy don't seem to be gelling well with what's been established so far. I'm really supposed to be liking this too, since I'm a die-hard Morgan and Wong fan.

I'd say Somehow, Satan Got Behind Me is the only good comedy episode, the rest are excruciating to watch.
I remember not liking Thirteen Years Later (another attempt at comedy) and actively avoiding Omertà (religious) in the 3rd season.

Subrick
Metal Strongman

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:56 pm 

Finally got around to the new Bates Motel episode today. I quite liked it as I have every other episode. This one went by the quickest for me for some reason. Norman's finally starting to not like Norma at this point and even though a fair portion of the episode is exposition, it makes sense in the context of the story.

Also, the show got renewed for a second season. All of my YES!

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:49 pm 

The latest Adventure Time was good, but not great. Based on the TNG ep "The Inner Light" with some good jokes (and a couple quite good ones) thrown in. Unfortunately, the entire ending and all the resolutions were telegraphed very early and obviously; Finn's decisions in the pillow world, the situation with Flame Princess, Finn's memories of the events. Adventure Time has always been cool with conventional tropes like this but they are usually a bit more subtle and have better twists. Compare this to "The Pods" which has lots of cliches that resolve in very unorthodox ways and you'll see what I mean. I don't think this (unlike "The Pods" or "Hug Wolf") will be one of these type of episodes that continue to fascinate after many viewings.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:03 am 

So I got around to watching the first episode of Hannibal and...it was really good. From this first episode, it firmly establishes it's style and Graham is a fascinating character. His "perfect empathy" which in lesser hands would be cheesy, is dark here and compelling. Seeing this entirely new take on Hannibal is strange, and it's hard to tell right now, but I'm coming from it optimistic and he was good. He has an accent, and it's sometimes hard to tell what he's saying, but he's already played with more subtlety and truer to the books than Hopkins.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:21 am 

I thought it was pretty decent, but my recent obsession with Millennium has muted its effects. Millennium does nearly everything Hannibal is likely to do (at least this season), and while it doesn't really do it better, it does a helluva lot more too.

But yeah, Mads crushed Hopkins. Anyone who says differently is a liar and cannot be trusted. I eagerly await the remaining episodes of the season (which will almost certainly be its last, given that it's subtle, at least halfway intelligent and on NBC.)

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:32 am 

It's certainly the most violent show I've seen on that channel. I read an interview with Fuller where he was talking about how some of the shows arcs were plotted as far as season 5 so there's a real deliberateness and long term plan for this story.

iAmDisturbed
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:12 am 

Wedge_Antilles wrote:
Eagerly awaiting the conclusion to the two-part Archer season finale. I'm sad to see the season over, but I'm excited for the inevitable Sealab 2021 references.

Fucking miss Sealab 2021!

Anyway, I am yet to see this season of Archer.

Been watching Kevin Bacon's The Following. I like how intense the drama is, there is a real and theatrical aspect to it that is both absurd and endearing.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:15 pm 

The second episode of Hannibal was fucking awesome. Watch that instead.

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:54 pm 

Do you guys really want to talk about boring action/dramas? They're all the same and they all just teach you to worship sociopaths.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:14 pm 

Mmmm, the 'ol Action/Drama genre! My favorite. :)

I like TNG, but The Inner Light sucked. The second Star Trek tries to do anything that isn't pure sci-fi is the second it starts to blow chunks. Never let fanboys persuade you otherwise. Also, Richard Riehle is a terrible actor and ruins everything he's in.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 8:07 pm 

Necroticism174 wrote:

...I'm sorry, what? I've done my best to avoid this series like the plague, and you're trying to lure me in by saying it's not televised feces?

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 8:21 pm 

Yes. The writing is sharp and they're going in lots of interesting directions with it. That and Dhavernas is gorgeousness incarnate.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:39 pm 

Hahaha she was in Zap :lol:

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:52 pm 

Zelkiiro wrote:
Necroticism174 wrote:

...I'm sorry, what? I've done my best to avoid this series like the plague, and you're trying to lure me in by saying it's not televised feces?

Uh no? The show has a great cast and good writing, I'll follow it. Mads Mikkelsen is fucking awesome. Thanks to Necro for the tip and yes, Dhavernas is <3333333

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36 ... 182  Next