Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:51 am 

John_Sunlight wrote:
That's really not true at all. Studies have come out indicating that the more people who hold inherently irrational views like religion are informed about the issues the harder they stick to their irrational views. The main reason why this is so seems to be the greater capacity to manipulate evidence to themselves (and others) that greater education and understanding in a general sense give them to apply to this specific instance where the particular issue is usually something they consider an integral part of their self image.

So being calm and reasoned and abiding by formal debate rules doesn't have any positive benefit, making fun of them is more entertaining, and it's more likely to work on low information viewers who are susceptible to appeals to things other than iron clad logic (I only said "no matter what" in reference to what you were saying, since I believe there are ways to lead people towards a more rational world view by means other than guidance of reason).

What studies?

And I don't have any studies, but I do have the personal anecdote of being someone who was approached by people with both hostile and civil intentions as a Christian, and I didn't respond favorably AT ALL to the assholes, whereas I'm no longer a Christian, and the factually-centered debates I had with nice atheist folks contributed a lot. It doesn't seem too inductively ridiculous to assume that most people won't respond to assholes and SOME, perhaps not a lot, will respond to evidence.
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

Slag
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:18 am 

DystopianOfficial wrote:
Necroticism174 wrote:
I find Metalocalypse insanely shitty. But yeah, Spongebob rules.

I honestly wonder why you don't like Metalocalypse. Whereas Tim and Eric Awesome Show Great Job! is instantly a love or hate mentality, Metalocalypse doesn't seem like a show to hate. I mean, the later episodes get too much into the whole "Adult Swim" mentality of being weird and awkward, but the first season? I find it hard to be a metalhead and not find it funny when the band accidentally summons a lake troll that destroys finland: "High school would be so cool with a big pal like him! He could've carried me to school!"

Metalocalypse lacks creative character dialogue and development. It turned into a show where the brutality pushed the show along, which is just boring. I don't like weird/awkward, as you put it, just for the sake of it.

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:20 am 

Nahsil wrote:
What studies?

I read a very interesting article about exactly this about a week ago. I'll dig it up for you.

If anyone else here reads naked capitalism, I'm pretty sure it was linked from one of the daily link posts.

Nahsil wrote:
story

Different strokes. Like I said, some are open to reason, others are not, but may be able to be led to other ways of thinking by different means. I'm not talking about on the spot conversions, but planting that little niggling seed of concern that maybe there really is something laughable about what they believe. My personal anecdote which compliments my view is that I have seen such people who choose to believe irrational things led to a more reasonable way of thinking by having been made fun of and through a bit of introspection coming to see that the people laughing at them had a point. There's all different kinds of people so there's absolutely no sense in shutting down any particular tactic (short of, say, violence) because you feel it wouldn't work on you personally.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:17 pm 

I don't know what to think about Metalocalypse. When it first came out I thought it was a neat little comical stab at the metal community but now it has become so popular I group people constantly repeating Metalocalypse lines with people who thought shouting "Git r Dun" was funny back around 2005; it just isn't endearing at all. Plus it just intensifies the metalhead stereotype(s) anyway, which doesn't do us any good.
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:48 pm 

Bleh, Metalpocalypse can't hurt us. No more than Squidbillies can hurt country folk. It's just a silly show based on a subset of the population that has some quirks that can be exagerated for comic effect.

My main beef with the show these days is that the animation is lazy, the overall design is unappealing, and that the jokes are weak. That applies to a lot of Adult Swim programming.

I think the best single joke I've seen in the show was the idea that the best birthday present for the bass player was an opportunity to destroy historical pieces of american cultural heritage.

The metal music on the show is incredibly weak as well. For a band which is supposedly very brutal death metal, their sound is incredibly light and tinny. The incredibly muted production doesn't help, nor do the barely gravelly vocals. It seems like the sound was intentionally toned down for wider appeal, which obviously cannot jibe with our sensibilities as metalheads who both like metal but also appreciate it as an artform with ethos and credibility. I believe the creators of the show are aware of how "extreme" and "brutal" death metal should sound, so the other possiblity is that it is a commentary on the nature of popular music and/or the effect of popularization of music for wider appeal (coupled with the bandmember's unswerving belief in their own crediblity) but I think that interpretation is probably fanciful.

I agree about the lack of endearment, as well. None of the characters seem to have any good qualities, merely less negative/banal ones. It is very much on the Beavis and Butthead axis of self-absorbed retards in functionally retarded dystopian world. Your milage always varies with these things...

DystopianOfficial
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:11 pm 

I see it differently. I see it as a show that pokes fun at both people's perception of the metal world, and the metal world's perception of people. I think that the music is good enough because it's supposed to be funny. I think that both Metalocalypse and Beavis and Butthead are hilarious and should be respected for at least doing things differently. Metalocalypse is pretty much the first metal entertainment that keeps the heavier stuff in mind. Before that, the media assumed metalheads liked AC/DC, Metallica, Megadeth, and Aerosmith. They never call attention to Exodus, Death, Burzum, and so on like Metalocalypse does.

On a comedy level, you either find it funny or you don't, so I can't convince anybody the worth of it as comedic, although I find it hilarious "let's see, what rhymes with murder... sheburder... smurder... squirter... Squir - ter... mur... ter... maybe".

I think that people should accept the following about Metalocalypse and by extension, every comedy - it has it's audience, and just because you may not like it does not mean that there's anything wrong with the people who do...

and what you said about Beavis and Butthead being about self-absorbed retards in a functionally retarded dystopian world... welcome to SATIRE. Beavis and Butthead's characters are satirical, as the show pokes fun at the kinds of people who act like that. It's not making fun of metalheads as much as idiots. Curb Your Enthusiasm is about rich a-holes who make everybody's lives miserable. It's centered around Larry David, but the point of the show is that everybody is a little like Larry David. They get pissed off over stupid things and need to lighten up. Similarly, Metalocalypse is saying that every metalhead is a little bit like the characters in the show. Now don't take that to mean the wrong thing. Metalocalypse is also telling you to lighten up. So if you don't find it funny, so be it, but don't be offended by it and don't be annoyed with it. Just say it's not for you and move on. And if you have people like me praising it, don't get annoyed with that either because opinions are opinions and don't need to have any more impact than that. Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go troll a Slipknot fan...

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:32 pm 

Thanks for the information about satire. I was unaware that the show was satirical in nature. I know I didn't say that the setting was inherently bad, but thanks for correcting me about that too. Also, thanks for the heads up about how offended I apparently came off. Even though I didn't say anything to make you think I was offended by the show, I'll make sure to be careful never to look like I do.

You're the best, man!

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:34 pm 

The sarcasm is strong in this one.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

DeathRiderDoom
Pro Sports Warder

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:18 am 

John_Sunlight wrote:
Bleh, Metalpocalypse can't hurt us. No more than Squidbillies can hurt country folk. It's just a silly show based on a subset of the population that has some quirks that can be exagerated for comic effect.

My main beef with the show these days is that the animation is lazy, the overall design is unappealing, and that the jokes are weak. That applies to a lot of Adult Swim programming.

I think the best single joke I've seen in the show was the idea that the best birthday present for the bass player was an opportunity to destroy historical pieces of american cultural heritage.

The metal music on the show is incredibly weak as well. For a band which is supposedly very brutal death metal, their sound is incredibly light and tinny. The incredibly muted production doesn't help, nor do the barely gravelly vocals. It seems like the sound was intentionally toned down for wider appeal, which obviously cannot jibe with our sensibilities as metalheads who both like metal but also appreciate it as an artform with ethos and credibility. I believe the creators of the show are aware of how "extreme" and "brutal" death metal should sound, so the other possiblity is that it is a commentary on the nature of popular music and/or the effect of popularization of music for wider appeal (coupled with the bandmember's unswerving belief in their own crediblity) but I think that interpretation is probably fanciful.

I agree about the lack of endearment, as well. None of the characters seem to have any good qualities, merely less negative/banal ones. It is very much on the Beavis and Butthead axis of self-absorbed retards in functionally retarded dystopian world. Your milage always varies with these things...

Yeah i see what you're getting at here. While i don't strongly despise the show or anything, it's hardly one of my favourite shows, or even anywhere near favourite animated shows.

I watched the first couple seasons, but the show has very limited replay value. While it does have some funny moments - the premise is a bit flawed from the ground up - the humour is a bit banal and tactless - even if the show is largely satirical - it hardly does satire with the skill of South Park, or The Simpsons. It's like a far less funny version of Aquateen in a way. It is poking fun at the metal community a little bit, but isn't supposed to be taken seriously either way. Having said that, the show is okay, just far from high art, really. It'll never be as good as South Park, or even American Dad, but it's still mildly watchable, with a few funny scenes here and there.

StinkyPenis
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:35 am 

Whats the opinion on Tim & Eric? Great show in my opinion. It drains the fuck out of you but its funny. If you want a mental challenge watch all of the fifth season (season cinco). One of the most difficult things I've had to do.

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:19 pm 

They have some funny sketches. Pumpers and Cops on Recumbent Bikes had me in stitches. Their humor tends to veer between nerdy, physical and whatever you call that modern style of really awkward acting, so it's pretty up in the air... I give them the much sought after J_S thumbs up.

DrFunkenstein
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:20 pm 

My problems with The Walking Dead so far:
1) Nothing ever fucking happens. They take longer to get shit done than Dragon Ball Z. Everyone just stands around waiting to die.
2) ALL THU WIMMINFOLK DUZ DISHEZ N COOKIN, LEAVE THE FIGHTIN TO US MEN, YEAH
3) the one black guy is a complete throwaway character named T-Dawg, and the asian kid is a smart computer whiz recon guy.
4)
Spoiler: show
By killing off both Dale and Shane, Rick no longer has anyone to really challenge him anymore. Hershel's pretty much fallen in line with whatever Rick wants, and everyone else is either a musclehead (Darryl), a throwaway character, (Hershel's family, Rick's family) or just concerned with other things (Andrea, Glen). Any of the internal tension that made the show interesting died with Dale and Shane.

This show has so much potential, but it's falling so far short of expectation. It's probably going to continue for at least another two seasons because ZOMBIES BRO (and to be fair, the zombie effects are pretty fantastic), but I hope the writers learn to write.

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:26 pm 

Let's be fair, the show never had potential. Zombies are played out. :(

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:43 pm 

Just started watching Archer. Hilarious show. Not quite as funny as Louie, but damn. There's like two funny things that happen per minute at least.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:30 am 

DrFunkenstein wrote:
4)
By killing off both Dale and Shane, Rick no longer has anyone to really challenge him anymore. Hershel's pretty much fallen in line with whatever Rick wants, and everyone else is either a musclehead (Darryl), a throwaway character, (Hershel's family, Rick's family) or just concerned with other things (Andrea, Glen). Any of the internal tension that made the show interesting died with Dale and Shane.

This show has so much potential, but it's falling so far short of expectation. It's probably going to continue for at least another two seasons because ZOMBIES BRO (and to be fair, the zombie effects are pretty fantastic), but I hope the writers learn to write.

Good point. To be honest,
I clapped when Rick finally killed Shane. I agree with your point, and I think Shane was honestly the best-written, more complex character in the show, but he was just... insufferable, and I'm glad he's finally dead and that Rick finally found his balls back.

But yeah, don't you hate it when potentially good drama gets completely ruined by plot holes and that wouldn't be possible without dumb characters that just keep holding on to the idiot ball? Ugh.

Spoilers for the last episode:
For one thing, Lori's speech to Shane was completely out of character. It was just mind-boggling. She tells Rick she's scared of Shane, he's dangerous, the baby's "yours no matter what", etc etc. And didn't Shane almost-rape her at some point? She has every reason to loathe and distrust him, and her character reflected that for the last several episodes.
And now she's all "oh thank you so much I'm so sorry blah blah blah" WTF?! Complete 180 out of the blue just so we could have Shane snap? Fuck you, writers.

And then, well, the last part of the episode. Daryl turning into a super-tracker was a bit silly, but I didn't even mind too much. And it was obvious Rick was skeptical of Shane's BS story, and thought it was dumb of him to just follow him in the dark like that, but I overlooked that too, because it lead to them having it out under the full moon in the field and that was pretty badass. And yeah, it was obvious Shane was gonna turn but I didn't mind that too much either. But then the thing with Carl.... afdsgfdrfhtgfhjgf so stupid. The farm house was still within view? I thought they had been walking for a while? So Shane's brilliant plan is to lure Rick away and murder him when still within sight of the house? And then Carl (why wasn't his mom watching over him, weren't they barricading themselves etc... asfdsg) very clearly takes out the gun BEFORE unShane rises, but he only meant to shoot the zombie? And not only that but he doesn't say "DAD GET DOWN" before shooting? And not only he gets a perfect headshot... on someone who was right behind his taller dad? Fuck you writer AND director, for taking the viewers for complete idiots.

And then the massive horde of zombies that just happened to be nearby, out of the blue. Again. *sigh*

I really want to like that show. But they're making it so difficult... I wish they wiped out all the cast and started the new season afresh with people who aren't retards.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:57 am 

Yeah, agreed on The Walking Dead. I have rose-colored glasses when it comes to that show, but this time it was a bit too much even for me.
Shame about Shane (hah!). He was an unstable sociopath, but as already mentioned one of the more interesting characters. No way around his death, though, I guess. But it would have been cool if he really had defected to that other group.

Necroticism174 wrote:
Just started watching Archer. Hilarious show. Not quite as funny as Louie, but damn. There's like two funny things that happen per minute at least.

Archer is brilliant.

bronxeel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:05 am 

Walking Dead:

The killing of Shane sucks. Yeah, I guess it was bound to happen eventually, but they killed off an INTEGRAL character. Dale was interesting but completely one-dimensional. Shane was the most INTERESTING one.

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:33 pm 

Adventure Time season 4 starts on April 2, 7:30 EST.

First episode leaked. Since I never admit to having done anything illegal, I can't tell you that it was as melancholy as expected.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:30 am 

bronxeel wrote:
Walking Dead:

The killing of Shane sucks. Yeah, I guess it was bound to happen eventually, but they killed off an INTEGRAL character. Dale was interesting but completely one-dimensional. Shane was the most INTERESTING one.

Well, in the comic,
Shane dies a lot sooner anyway... *shrugs*

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

volutetheswarth
Our Lady of Perpetual Butthurt

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:06 am 

This season has been pretty bad, I mean the first couple episodes were alright but I felt a big turn around after Triggerfinger. I was taken back by the excellent editing on 18 Miles Out, not since the first season had an episode been that fast paced. I liked how it started at the end and left a portion of time behind, it was a welcome change from the past episodes on the farm that seemed to drag on and on. 18 Miles Out and the latest have been brilliant episodes.
I was indifferent when Dale died, I did not expect him to go as soon as he did though. I was super happy and relieved when Shane died, he was a complete douchebag who couldn't take a hint. Rick was really patient with him, but the dude just kept on digging. The new batch of creeps in the other camp will be a fitting replacement. What would have been interesting though is if Shane actually did join the other camp, that would have been something to see.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:16 pm 

I watched my first episode of Two and a Half Men today and it was atrocious. Not quite as bad as The Big Bang Theory but pretty fucking horrid.

AcidWorm
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:20 pm 

I don't get why two and half men is so popular. The episodes are all the same and the characters are very one dimensional. You got the kid who is just dumb, charlie is a sleezeball who just has sex with a lot of women without attachment, and the other brother is a nerd with low self-esteem and then they both hate their mother who is a self-centered slut.

That's all there is to it.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:38 pm 

you forget the fact that they have one-liners!
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:37 pm 

The South Park season premiere was hilarious. The satire was actually somewhat subtle. Matt and Tret have still got it.

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:11 am 

Did You Fall for It? America’s Outrage Over TSA “Porn Scanners” Was Right-Wing PR to Prevent Workers from Unionizing

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:47 pm 

Just started watching the famous documentary series Cosmos for the first time. Very absorbing stuff, since I've been away from this sort of material for a long time, and also lots of fun with the dawn-of-the-80s special effects (fairly impressive, all things considered).

Which has got me wondering: what are some of the best documentary series everyone here has ever seen? It's not hard to find documentaries on most subjects, but finding good, definitive ones is another matter. What are the first series that come to mind when you think of exemplary nonfiction? Any subject goes, the only criterion is quality.

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:23 am 

Are you watching the original or the touched up versions that came out recently?

Cosmos was the best I've seen, actually. Inside Job was excellent, but I'm sure you've heard of/seen/come to your own political/etc conclusions about its content. Whence I was younger, a mini series called 99 moons and counting (or something to that effect) blew my mind because it talked about the amazing features of many of the moons of the solar system and had (for the time) amazing TV CG. Looking back, it was pretty scanty on info...

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:02 am 

Hmm, really not sure if it's any kind of restored version, though I don't think it is... It's labeled "1980" on Netflix, which is where I'm watching it on instant view. So ....I don't know. It doesn't look overtly retouched or anything, a lot of the special FX still look period.

Warpig17
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:11 pm 

Started watching Star Wars: The Clone wars (The 2008- one) and to my suprise it actually is pretty decent. Of course I shutter when Jar Jar comes in or when the droids are given too much dialogue but overall it's pretty enjoyable.

Also season 2 of Game of Thrones in a couple weeks. Yessssss!

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:34 am 

I can't get over how ugly the CG, or the fact that the girl's dialogue sounds like it was written by Nickelodian live action show writers. Also the general design and story telling philosophy and action set pieces are obviously derived from the prequals as opposed to the originals, so there's really nothing going into it that would make one want to give it a chance... Plus, an annoying main character and main villains? Seems like that'd be a pretty significant, perpetual drag on the show, not a minor thing to be shrugged off.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:07 pm 

Which of the anthology series was your favourite, assuming you ever watched them? The outer limits, The Twilight Zone, or Tales From the Crypt? I was always partial to The Outer Limits. There were some genius plots in that original run.

Warpig17
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:01 pm 

John_Sunlight wrote:
I can't get over how ugly the CG, or the fact that the girl's dialogue sounds like it was written by Nickelodian live action show writers. Also the general design and story telling philosophy and action set pieces are obviously derived from the prequals as opposed to the originals, so there's really nothing going into it that would make one want to give it a chance... Plus, an annoying main character and main villains? Seems like that'd be a pretty significant, perpetual drag on the show, not a minor thing to be shrugged off.

The chick can be annoying but she grows up over the series and she's much more tolerable later. Also it helps that diffrent episodes focus on diffrent characters so she's not always in the spotlight.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:19 pm 

Started watching The Office. It's now one of my favourite shows.

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 5:12 pm 

The original Office or Office US?

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 5:25 pm 

I feel like this is a trick question. But the US version, it has a lot of great characters. Never checked out the British version.

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 5:34 pm 

Hehe, actually, I never checked out the british version either. I don't know why actually.... Maybe I should check it out. Can anybody with more knowledge tell me the key differences between the two? I just can't imagine it to be better then the US version though. I mean, the US version has Dwight. Dwight > everthing.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:31 pm 

Truth has been spoken. Dwight is awesome.

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:34 pm 

Dwight's lame and the whole US version is inferior. No argument or I will cast your stapler in jelly.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:54 pm 

I was waiting for someone to say this.

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:39 pm 

Asking if someone likes the UK or US version of The Office is always a trap. It's not something you should be asking people, it just puts them on the spot and ruins relationships.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 ... 182  Next