Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 12:51 pm 

In terms of WW, I'm very interested to see where his arc goes.

Spoiler: show
As of the last episode he seems to be getting uncomfortably obsessed with life in the park as solace from a shitty real world. Makes me wonder if they're setting him up to become a "new" Man in Black, who seemed to go through a similar process after having been a virtuous person in the real world.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 1:55 pm 

I don't read up on "fan theories" because I tend to believe if I'm not smart enough to figure it out for myself I don't want to know yet, but my buddy obsesses over them and gave me a few before I could ask him to stop. I will say this:

You might be onto something RE: the Man In Black, but consider that not everything we've seen is happening on the same timeline.

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 2:02 pm 

Jonpo wrote:
I don't read up on "fan theories" because I tend to believe if I'm not smart enough to figure it out for myself I don't want to know yet, but my buddy obsesses over them and gave me a few before I could ask him to stop. I will say this:

You might be onto something RE: the Man In Black, but consider that not everything we've seen is happening on the same timeline.

Yeah, I've heard that one before, but the problem is that it doesn't sync with Dolores' arc - remember there was that scene when she was going to get raped by one of the outlaw hosts, "saw" the MIB and shot him, then stumbled over to William and Logan's camp. "William-as-future-MIB" doesn't work then since Dolores hallucinated the Man in Black *before* getting to William's camp. Unless they're really trying to pull a fast one with similarly-framed jump cuts, which I'm hoping against as that feels kind of lazy.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 2:18 pm 

I'm also 100% against this and hope it's not the storyline that will unfold. I won't necessarily be disappointed but I don't want that to be the MIB story. Have you seen the most recent episode? I don't want to reveal too much if you haven't, but there was a surprise that I hadn't heard in any of the fan theories (aka pre-spoilers). Makes me hopeful for the writing/creativity which I was already happy with.

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 2:24 pm 

That Bernard is a host? That definitely took me by surprise, though my wife follows fan theories much more than I do and apparently that one was getting thrown around a bit.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 2:28 pm 

Smoking_Gnu wrote:
That Bernard is a host? That definitely took me by surprise, though my wife follows fan theories much more than I do and apparently that one was getting thrown around a bit.

Oh okay! I guess I thankfully stopped my buddy before he could pre-spoil that one for me. Yep, that's exactly what I meant. I thought that whole thing was masterfully done. I knew something big was about to happen when they put on their "show" for Ford and Bernard and Ford had that little sardonic grin...

I fucking hate fan theories for real. I don't understand why you would want someone to ruin a thing for you. The big reveals built into the show are such a part of the experience.

Ancient_Mariner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 11:56 am 

Well caught up with the show finally, and II wonder if the two clean up guys, the white guy and the Asian dude, are on some kind of program to give the mentally defective a job? They just seem so pathetic and idiotic.

This is just one season right?

Ancient_Mariner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 2:55 pm 

Well stated watching Deadwood on DVD. How did I miss this the first time around? So far so fucking good.

Erotetic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 7:42 pm 

Ancient_Mariner wrote:
I think his arc is pretty obvious, but I'm not sure it works for me.

are you referring to the fan theory that
he's the Man in Black? personally it wasn't obvious to me, but the fact that they do refer to him as 'Man in Black' rather than giving the character a name seems to make it obvious

Sepulchrave
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 2:55 pm 

Welp, I guess I'm gonna be able to open all these spoilers above soon, since I'm on sick leave here and I got nothing to do but to start with.... WESTWORLD!

Finished the first episode just now, and I'm blown away. A fantastic further elaboration on the implications the original made. Much darker, less censorship - my kind of show. I also really like how it plays around with atmosphere as well, something that the movie never quite did in such a developed way. Here, the Wild West scenes and the office ones seem to suspend the audience's disbelief with a lot more effectiveness, and when the two worlds clash, you get to feel some seriously mind-fucking vibes there. Schweet.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 5:01 pm 

Erotetic wrote:
Ancient_Mariner wrote:
I think his arc is pretty obvious, but I'm not sure it works for me.

are you referring to the fan theory that
he's the Man in Black? personally it wasn't obvious to me, but the fact that they do refer to him as 'Man in Black' rather than giving the character a name seems to make it obvious

Unfortunately I'm starting to think this arc is locked in. One very little comment from the Man In Black in this most recent episode sealed it for me. I wish no one had told me about the damned fan theory. Wasn't obvious to me either.

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 5:05 pm 

^ What comment?

I suppose that would be possible, but they'd still have to do some really convoluted explaining of how scenes were shot/time is framed. Nothing would still answer how Dolores hallucinated the Man in Black *before* she ran into William and Logan's camp.

Ancient_Mariner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 12:53 pm 

Actually that wasn't my theory but that sounds stupid and would be very confusing. I hope that isn't the case.

Erotetic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 1:09 pm 

Smoking_Gnu wrote:
^ What comment?

I suppose that would be possible, but they'd still have to do some really convoluted explaining of how scenes were shot/time is framed. Nothing would still answer how Dolores hallucinated the Man in Black *before* she ran into William and Logan's camp.

are you sure the two scenes are concurrent? I don't know what ep/minute you're referring to so I can't rewatch, but maybe it's only a memory of her running into William / a flashback scene for us following a present-day scene

Ancient_Mariner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 1:12 pm 

What is the storytelling benefit of that other than to say "EPIC TWIST"? Not sure what good that would do for the story but we aren't done yet.

volutetheswarth
Our Lady of Perpetual Butthurt

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 8:07 pm 

So the latest Walking Dead was easily in the top 10 worst episodes.

Ancient_Mariner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 8:11 pm 

I watch the show with my Mom since she is such a nut, and have read the comic. But its fair to middling at its best. Some things didn't make sense.
So at the end of the season intro they load up Glen and Abraham's corpses in the buses and drive back to Alexandria, while Sasha and Maggie walk to Hilltop right? So why were they buried at Hilltop as it was obvious from reactions that Rick and co hadn't been there since the braining? Did I miss something?

volutetheswarth

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 2:58 am 

Alot of things don't make sense this season, and we're not even halfway.
*That whole Daryl episode with a plethora of montages where he's losing his mind in confinement was a total of 4 days? Really?
*Coral and love interest go out during the day/meanwhile Hilltop is attacked by walkers at night? Is Hilltop in another timezone?
*Gates open, a half dozen fires lit and a locked car positioned to blare music in Hilltop and nobody heard or saw anything?
*Why wouldn't anyone think to get rid of the guns list at Alexandria? Surely Negan will take your guns?
*Michonne's gun and one carried by Spencer aren't put on the gun list?
*Rick is mentally reduced to a cowering dog by Negan yet acts tough in front of him? Seriously?
*Coral "I'm not gonna go after you!"... Goes after her.

Sepulchrave
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 5:18 pm 

RE:Westworld - caught up with you guys:
I don't get this theory. Apart from reactions with the Talulah Riley host, I see nothing that would connect William and the Man in Black in any way. All I see is a pretty straightforward good guy-bad guy contrast.

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 5:01 pm 

For about a year, BBC America has become one of the best channels on television by playing reruns of Star Trek: The Next Generation and Star Trek (the original series). Unfortunately, lately they've begun declining in quality at a rapid pace by showing fewer episodes of Star Trek series and instead showing reruns of retarded cop dramas and British comedies like CSI Miami and Sherlock. Hopefully they will quickly realize that showing the same lame modern shows that are run on every other channel, and showing unfunny British comedies are the surest path to failure, while showing Star Trek is a guaranteed path to success.

Ancient_Mariner
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 1:33 pm 

Well TWD stayed just as shitty as its been with another awful episode. If not for my Mom being a TWD junkie and I watch it with her I'd give it up. The way this season has been set up is shitty. An entire Tara episode? Really? They should have mixed these story lines into episodes instead of this method.

Erdrickgr
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 1:59 pm 

I'm generally fine with the more dramatic episodes (in past seasons), but I have to agree. Since the premiere things have been way too boring and fragmented. One theory I've seen for why they are doing it like they are is that it's a cost-cutting measure, since the actors get paid on a per-episode basis. So if Andrew Lincoln gets paid 90k per episode, but is in only half the episodes, then they save a ton of money compared to past seasons when he was in just about every episode. And if they do that for all the main/supporting actors, they save more money. Not that they pay them a lot to begin with, considering how much other actors make on hit shows and the cash cow that TWD is. Don't know how much truth there is to the theory, but if it is what's going on then they're really shooting themselves in the foot. I buy each episode off amazon at $3 a pop (it's the only show I'm watching this fall), so if things don't pick up over the next two episodes I might just stop buying and wait for it to get onto Netflix from now on.

Last edited by Erdrickgr on Mon Nov 28, 2016 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
metroplex
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 2:07 pm 

That episode was Tarable :oh shit:

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 2:32 pm 

Eh, I've had my problems with TWD but I don't mind what they're doing with this season, trying to space it out and give more development and world-building. I can't see what they'd really do to make it much better without completely changing the whole show. It's slow-paced and the character development is rather thin sometimes, but since this is a postapocalyptic world and their lives can be rather drab and dull when they're not involved in some big battle, I can excuse that much - I'm not expecting florid, nonstop dialogue or a load of energy out of these people living in this shithole of a world. I like how they portray the postapocalyptic world and how they show the survivors' lives. They're clearly trying to build up to a longer game and more expansive storyline here. I like other shows better than TWD, but there's a unique quality about this that I enjoy too.

The last two eps have been decent, not great - but far from bad or anything, I thought.

I've been watching Fargo for the last few days. What a great fucking show. Super well-done detective/murder mystery/mob story with elements of Breaking Bad and No Country for Old Men mixed into a very unique flavor. Excellent characters and writing.

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 1:22 am 

The Tarable episode was actually pretty good, I just don't think they needed an entire episode out of it unless they are truly planning on emphasizing that other group at some point in the future.

The episode before the Tarable one though was not very good. Enid being scared of one walker after spending months outside by herself before she came to Alexandria? Carl driving a car to Enid but then they don't use the car? Hilltop gate guards just not being there when the Saviors opened the doors and drove two cars into the community? That was an actual terrible episode.

volutetheswarth

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 8:23 am 

Erdrickgr wrote:
I'm generally fine with the more dramatic episodes (in past seasons), but I have to agree. Since the premiere things have been way too boring and fragmented. One theory I've seen for why they are doing it like they are is that it's a cost-cutting measure, since the actors get paid on a per-episode basis. So if Andrew Lincoln gets paid 90k per episode, but is in only half the episodes, then they save a ton of money compared to past seasons when he was in just about every episode. And if they do that for all the main/supporting actors, they save more money. Not that they pay them a lot to begin with, considering how much other actors make on hit shows and the cash cow that TWD is. Don't know how much truth there is to the theory, but if it is what's going on then they're really shooting themselves in the foot. I buy each episode off amazon at $3 a pop (it's the only show I'm watching this fall), so if things don't pick up over the next two episodes I might just stop buying and wait for it to get onto Netflix from now on.
This. Last episode was poor, this episode was just plodding filler with an uninteresting boring character.

Could be cost-cutting, could be miserably bad writing (not uncommon with TWD), but so far after one great episode in the premiere it's been a steady slope downwards.

Done after this season. I've been fooled by TWD more times than I can count, with The Governor, with Terminus, bringing Carol back because... ?, setting up conflicts and climatic events then not showing the end result or just brushing over them, etc. Really think it's going the way of Dexter, except I can't recall one truly great season.

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:29 am 

I've loved every episode this season to varying degrees, and I'm glad they are exactly the way they are. I actually felt the show has been getting better and better, it's too bad you don't like it. Or not, really, doesn't matter to me at all. I hope they keep doing what they are doing for another 3-5 seasons.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 11:14 am 

I just decided that the most memorable bit from Cheers for me is when Cliff talked about how the Minutemen are actually misread and it's read like the adjective "minute" (my-newt) because they were all very short men.

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 3:38 pm 

Erotetic wrote:
Smoking_Gnu wrote:
^ What comment?

are you sure the two scenes are concurrent? I don't know what ep/minute you're referring to so I can't rewatch, but maybe it's only a memory of her running into William / a flashback scene for us following a present-day scene

I don't see how there could be any doubt after the most recent episode that Billy becomes The Man in Black. I STILL hope he doesn't, but I think it's locked in at this point.

The Bernard twist was a doozy. I really dig this show.

~Guest 171512
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 6:05 pm 

Does anyone here watch Supergirl?

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 6:17 pm 

Westworld discussion (don't feel like quoting and editing the spoiler tangle):

To be honest, I think they're framing it in a way now that's making the William>MIB connection more palatable. Since most of the in-universe criticism of Westworld parkgoers is directed at the ones who use it to live out their violent urges or sick fantasies, I kind of like the idea of William being corrupted by his obsession of being a hero and performing benevolent acts - craving power by wanting others to appreciate you or view you as their savior is still craving power.

volutetheswarth

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:24 pm 

Ancient_Mariner wrote:
McPoyle seems like the worst guy to go to this type of theme park with.
Yet Logan is? He's an insufferable callous prick. At least McPoyle isn't a sick bastard.

Anyway I'm up to episode 6 and I'm still fairly bored of WW, it's far too repetitive and dull. And is there a rule at HBO where they have to show nudity each episode? The whole Behavioral lab scenes are an excuse for nudity.

Clifton Collins Jr. is a terrible actor who pollutes each scene with immense suckage, Anthony Hopkins just delivers the same "been-sitting-in-the-sun" too long performance that he's done for the past decade. Ed Harris is the only worthwhile and engrossing actor to watch here.

volutetheswarth

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 8:45 am 

Okay I read the spoilers on wikipedia and am joyously glad I did, never have to invest another minute with 'WW 2016'. Such poor writing with ridiculous twists to be edgy. I'll stick with the original Westworld movie as that wasn't filled to the brim with obvious eccentricities and random edgy crap, it was virtually a singular story about robots one day turning on their masters, simple yet vastly superior to whatever WW 2016 is.

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 1:46 pm 

It wouldn't be on HBO unless it had (frequently pointless) nudity, and Ed Harris makes anything watchable.

*hasn't seen one second of Westworld*

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:00 am 

Hhhhhmmmmm. I'm half way through season one of Orange is the New Black and I can't decide if I actually like it or if I'm just watching it cause I'm bored. Anybody got experience with the show?

Azmodes wrote:
It combines two of my favourite things: penis innuendo and derigin.

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:01 am 

I watched the first two seasons and just decided that while it had some good moments here and there, I didn't want to watch it that badly.

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:34 am 

Yeah that's kinda where I'm at too. I'll probably just switch to West Wing.

Azmodes wrote:
It combines two of my favourite things: penis innuendo and derigin.

stefan86
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:41 am 

I watched both seasons of Orange is the New Black and found it good, but not amazing.

Add me on last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/stefan86

Metal_On_The_Ascendant
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:00 am 

OITNB gets better with each newer season although the first two seem unnecessarily cluttered. This year's season was undoubtedly one of the best in all of TV though. Sharply focused and truly devastating. Keep watching.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:17 am 

I really like OITNB. One of my favorite shows on TV... I thought the first two seasons were probably the best in terms of storytelling, but as it's gotten further along, I really like how it takes these unpopular character types and views and tries to humanize them and play devil's advocate. That's where the show finds its voice.

That latest TWD episode was so funny actually - just a cavalcade of ridiculous conversations and scenes that I found pretty entertaining actually. Jeffery Dean Morgan is a total scene-chewing monster, but it works because the show needed something a bit different to spice it up.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 107, 108, 109, 110, 111, 112, 113 ... 182  Next