Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 4:49 am 

Homeland has been great this season. Latest episode, god damn.
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

DennisDemoniarch
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 1:58 pm 

Sons of Anarchy - turning into a very silly and ridiculous perception of bikers and clubs. The knee jerk 'business' decisions made by the club are quite hilarious too, especially how it's supposed to be believed that after so many Federal Agents just ...died, no further or deeper investigation persists hahaha Good grief, this show is TV's biggest fantasy of nonsense if ever there was one. ...the people wearing the SoA merch, club vests and patches, that really takes the cake... the clowns wearing this stuff are exactly the types that would never make it with any real club.

The Walking Dead - zombies, you really cannot go wrong here. There is only so much that can happen, and so this show does a fine job of portraying your tried and true zombie franchises. Looks good and flows well enough.

American Horror Story - fairly entertaining and not a bad watch, however I never went into it expecting anything amazing either. I like the concept of each season being a stand alone story and wraps up at the end, some of it has been drawn out drivel to some extent, but none the less not the worst thing on TV (Sons of Anarchy anyone???)

Some of the best things I seen on TV was that first season of True Detective, that show was stellar with story and acting. Wow! That was worth watching. Another series that was pretty decent was Carnivàle. Really liked that one too.
Then there is always Trailer Park Boys and Always Sunny in Philadelphia... both make me laugh.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 4:21 pm 

Nahsil wrote:
Homeland has been great this season. Latest episode, god damn.

Whatever they gave Carrie, it's nasty stuff, haha.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 7:56 pm 

Yeah I was trying to figure that out. It almost looked like she was going through amphetamine psychosis, but I thought that was from sustained use and stuff. Maybe it can happen with large doses, I dunno.

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 1:58 am 

Completely slipped my mind that the new Homeland season started last month. For the sake of completeness, I'll get into that soon.

The only show I hoped I'd watch was Constantine, but that has been terribly disappointing. I stopped watching that poopfest halfway through the second episode.

Bahamut7
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 9:15 am 

Erosion of Humanity wrote:
Well the Futurama/Simpsons cross over was just as awesome as I was hoping for. I haven't really been a Simpsons fan in a long time but I was (still am) a die hard Futurama fan. Kinda sad that they gave the Family Guy cross over an hour but only 30 minutes to this but hey it happened at leat. And any day I can get some new Futurama is a good day in my book.

I have to say I was disappointed with the crossover. I was hoping it to be good because it was Futurama but I remained sceptical because it was modern Simpsons. There were some good moments here and there but it really needed to expand into an hour long episode to space things out. I did like seeing the Futurama cast returning once more but now that I've seen the crossover, I wish they had left it at the series finale.

HellBlazer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:05 pm 

Man, that huge Homeland cliffhanger... and then the show is off next week for Thanksgiving. Very cruel. :(

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:19 pm 

Atleast you have the Walking Dead, right?

Right?

That reminds me. I haven't seen any talk about the new Walking Dead season. So far it's decent enough I guess.

Spoiler: show
I don't like that they have been effectively backtracking Daryl's and Beth's steps for two episodes. Sure I like both characters, but we already know Daryl is not going to die. It's just a matter of who escaped alongside him. I hope it's Beth, I don't care for the new kid and I feel that Carol has played out her part. I am enjoying the redhead army dude subplot though. Eugene is fucked.

To possible replyers: I have not seen the latest episode. I think it aired in the US yesterday, and it's airing tonight in the Netherlands.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:42 pm 

Homeland is really awesome this season.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 5:08 pm 

I started watching the second Darker Than Black season for some reason. What the fuck happened to Hei? He looks like me now, and drinks twice as much.

Edit: I hate this garbage so far, but it's like witnessing a trainwreck, I guess.

Edit 2: Fittingly, there was a huge trainwreck in one of the episodes. :P

Edit 3: That was just abysmal. By the end of the season, I was drinking twice as much as Hei at the beginning of the season, because holy shit, how bad can it get. Fuck this shit, now I'm pretty drunk.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 4:44 pm 

I'm watching Transparent and it's totally great. Insane acting by Jeffrey Tambor who plays a trans man and has to deal with his 3 children.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 4:47 pm 

Just started The Walking Dead season 1. I know, I'm so in tune with TV...but it's pretty decent so far, better than anything Romero has shat out in years and certainly better than the likes of WWZ, and it isn't ironic like Zombieland (though I did enjoy Zombieland when it came out). I guess I'm saying it's better than really terrible zombie stories, but even so. I'm not really that excited by a very standard, straight-faced zombie thriller type show, but it's doing all the tropes pretty well so far.

ChineseDownhill
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 6:58 pm 

Season 1 of TWD is only 6 episodes so it never really has time to drag. Then season 2 has 13 episodes - pretty normal for a cable show, but I could not believe how slooooooow things started to move. They spend all this time on a storyline I didn't really care about, and that marked the first time I seriously considered giving up on the show.

Yet here we are in season 5 and I'm still watching for some reason.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 7:02 pm 

A lot of the time, things that seem slow for other people are interesting to me, so I'll see how it goes.

Erotetic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 6:24 am 

loving Black Mirror. really well made.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 4:13 pm 

TWD is pretty massively overrated and not that good.

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 7:42 pm 

That latest Walking Dead episode..... :( My heartstrings, they have been tugged. I really did not see this coming. Stellar episode though, the best from the new season so far.

Beth dies out of fucking nowhere.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 12:59 am 

Nahsil wrote:
TWD is pretty massively overrated and not that good.

Only watched the first season and it was utterly boring, fuck zombies in general.

Black Mirror's first season was fucking awesome, the 3 episodes were fantastic, the first one with Rory Kinnear probably was my favorite of the bunch but the 2nd one was also fantastic. I watched the first episode of the 2nd season and it was also pretty interesting mainly because of the gorgeous and talented Hayley Atwell!

I'm slowly but surely watching Scrubs, this series is awesome and perhaps the best hospital show I tried (never watched House, just doesn't seem like my kind of stuff).

volutetheswarth
Our Lady of Perpetual Butthurt

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 1:50 am 

On the topic of hospital shows it occurred to me that I never gave 90's E.R. a proper go. I'll have to rectify that soon because there's at least 5 seasons of solid dramatic television.

Also, the latest Walking Dead episode was a stand out. I've enjoyed most episodes this season although I could do without a few tree stump characters.

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 5:09 am 

Scrubs was a great show and it ranks at number two for my all time hospital show. I loved pretty much everything they did, though I did have a few issues with the 'series' finale. I couldn't get into Scrubs 2.0 or whatever they called it for the two seasons they tried to do after they ended the show, it was pretty lame.

My favorite hospital show of all time is, and most likely always will be, M.A.S.H. what a killer show that was.

Azmodes wrote:
It combines two of my favourite things: penis innuendo and derigin.

newp
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:38 pm 

I watched the first few episodes of Les Revenants last night. The concept has potential to be really interesting or complete dogshit- a bunch of random dead people suddenly return to life with no memory of what happened. It's been good thus far, seems well paced and has a creepy atmosphere. Apparently an American remake is in the works because French is scary and reading subtitles is too hard.

Oh and S3 of House of Cards is happening in February. Cue heaving breathing.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-f ... son-752904

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 8:28 pm 

Interesting. Only 10 episodes too so might as well watch it tonight and tomorrow since I'm not doing any homework...

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 8:56 pm 

Gracepoint last night was pretty sweet. Only one episode left so I'm pretty psyched to see how it ends.

My prediction:
I think Tom killed Danny for some strange reason and Vince helped him cover it up. I also think the preacher has something to do with the whole thing. I dunno why but I'm sure he's in on it. Also he's shady as hell.

I'd be interested to hear how this is keeping with the original, Broadchurch, (ahem cue Tony) because I'm thinking about watching that next but I have to pay for it so if it's just the same thing I may just pass on it.

Azmodes wrote:
It combines two of my favourite things: penis innuendo and derigin.

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 9:31 pm 

I started watching The Walking Dead maybe three weeks ago and now I have seen every episode. Officially hooked. Favorite seasons so far are 1 and the current one (5th). Second season is my least favorite; slow and dragged on with the stupid missing person story for too damn long. I was hoping for a reprise of Merle and/or Morgan, had to wait till after season 2.

Full Disclosure: I haven't read the picture book it is based on.

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 10:11 pm 

Started Hannibal season 2 last night and enjoying even more. Surprised this isnt on FX.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 10:12 pm 

Finished TWD season 2 and quite liked it; had no problem with the missing person story - that was cool and fresh for a zombie story; focused on real problems rather than dumb zombie shit. Didn't like Shane's character arc so much - bit rushed...but it kept me excited enough.

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 10:26 pm 

What's weird is

I liked Shane but don't miss his character at all

I liked season 2, don't get me wrong, I just think it's the weakest. Pretty sure the fan unfavorite is season 4. It's a bit slower but it felt more gritty, which I thought was nice.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 10:34 pm 

I enjoyed hating him a lot. He was exactly the kind of guy I've always hated in real life - frat house douche bro to the extreme.

Erotetic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 9:51 am 

aaronmb666 wrote:
Started Hannibal season 2 last night and enjoying even more. Surprised this isnt on FX.

hell yea.
it makes season 1 worth sitting through (I wasn't a big fan until season 2)

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 11:27 am 

Black Mirror's Christmas special with Jon Hamm!

I think both seasons of Hannibal were equally great, can't wait for the third one.

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 2:35 pm 

Erotetic wrote:
aaronmb666 wrote:

hell yea.
it makes season 1 worth sitting through (I wasn't a big fan until season 2)

A friend said "just wait till you see how it ends". So Ive got to avoid spoilers for now. He started Breaking Bad and I told him to wait till he gets to Season 5. I mentioned that things dont get really big until probably season 4, but it's totally worth it.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 7:45 pm 

Best new series of 2014:

1) Silicon Valley
2) Transparent
3) You're the worst (that I binged watched in 1 day since my last post...)
4) Penny Dreadful

I need to watch/continue: The Affair, Bojack Horseman

Watching these every week: Brooklyn Nine Nine (s02), Agents of SHIELD (s02) and Castle (s07)

Of_This_Night36
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 4:00 am 

One of the only TV shows I like is My Little Pony. I actually like the lighthearted atmosphere, it's definitely a plus in my book. My one friend was telling me about this other fantasy-oriented show he likes that featured beheadings and incest and stuff, I just thought, why would I watch a show about that? How is that entertaining? MLP has a few intense moments, like that two-parter with Chrysalis, but that's just once in awhile. Besides, I listen to metal, I've gotten pretty tired of the moodiness/darkness anyway. I like MLP's overall positive attitude and morals.

And I like that it's immersive, it has character development and an actual storyline, not just artificially spoonfeeding you nonsense like other shows kids enjoy. Even though Lauren Faust pointed out she intended the show to be enjoyed by both kids and their parents (thus, adults) anyway.

So, yeah. It's a positive influence on me, and it's a fun show! Love and tolerate.
Annihilated Pentagram Productions - Kvlt unblack for dark hearts and the left-hand path, not the saved (Luke 5:32). Several releases are free download.
Christ is Lord, there is no other. 2 Peter 3:9, John 14:1-3, Revelation 20:10, Revelation 22:20

I_Am_Vengeance
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 4:24 am 

Of_This_Night36 wrote:
One of the only TV shows I like is My Little Pony. I actually like the lighthearted atmosphere, it's definitely a plus in my book. My one friend was telling me about this other fantasy-oriented show he likes that featured beheadings and incest and stuff, I just thought, why would I watch a show about that? How is that entertaining? MLP has a few intense moments, like that two-parter with Chrysalis, but that's just once in awhile. Besides, I listen to metal, I've gotten pretty tired of the moodiness/darkness anyway. I like MLP's overall positive attitude and morals.

And I like that it's immersive, it has character development and an actual storyline, not just artificially spoonfeeding you nonsense like other shows kids enjoy. Even though Lauren Faust pointed out she intended the show to be enjoyed by both kids and their parents (thus, adults) anyway.

So, yeah. It's a positive influence on me, and it's a fun show! Love and tolerate.

:gay: :| :ah-ha:

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 9:15 am 

CorpseFister wrote:
I watched the first few episodes of Les Revenants last night. The concept has potential to be really interesting or complete dogshit- a bunch of random dead people suddenly return to life with no memory of what happened. It's been good thus far, seems well paced and has a creepy atmosphere. Apparently an American remake is in the works because French is scary and reading subtitles is too hard.

Oh and S3 of House of Cards is happening in February. Cue heaving breathing.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-f ... son-752904

How're you liking the rest of the show? Things got pretty intense right at the end of the season so I'm looking forward to season 2.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

newp
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 4:52 pm 

I really enjoyed it, for the most part. I’m definitely looking forward to S2 but I do have some concerns:

- The show might collapse under the weight of its own intrigues. I don't want everything wrapped up in a neat little bow, but boy do they have a heck of a lot of loose threads! I'm sure they will sort out the big stuff but I think some of the smaller questions might just be best left unanswered (for instance why do Léna and Camille sometimes feel the same thing? Eh, because twins?).
-The horde. The last few episodes were pretty good, but I'm not sure about this direction. What made the show stand out for me was the drama and struggles between the characters, so I hope it doesn't begin to place too much focus on an external menace. It seems unlikely the writers are intending to forge ahead with a straight-forward zombie trope though, so we'll see.

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 2:28 pm 

Orphan Black S3 teaser. Definitely looking forward to this show.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 9:35 pm 

The last episode of season 2 left a bad taste in my mouth, but I'll give this one a shot. Not sure what else they can really do with this story, but we'll see, I'm looking forward to seeing what they try at least.

OneSizeFitzpatrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 3:14 pm 

Has anybody watched any of that marco polo show on netflix? I was bored over Christmas and started watching it and I ended up really liking it.
Granted, I wasn't expecting much since I lost all interest in house of Cards after like 4 episodes. I think the setting is what really hooked me on it, and the really badass Mongolian throat singing helped too.

jeanshack
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 6:08 pm 

Surprisingly numerous references to heavy metal on Californication. Judas Priest/Slayer/Megadeth/Metallica references aside, Obituary's Slowly We Rot was quite unexpected.

Iron Maiden, the medieval torture machine was exhibited during one of the episodes of the 6th season. It was actually quite subtle and just shown in the background with a vague mention, a reworked version of "Wasted years" was also played during the end.

The show is very inconsistent but it's always entertaining to identify references which many would otherwise think as random noise.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69 ... 182  Next