Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 9:16 am 

Binged all of Narcos. It's alright. It has some really lame elements like "hey dummy, this is what's happening" voice-over and some generally lame/cliched bits of dialog and drama, but the music was pretty good, camerawork was decent, and some of the acting was really compelling (particularly the guy who plays the Hispanic DEA agent, Pena, and Pablo Escobar himself, who was always captivating on camera) but mostly it was just a pretty average show given very, very generous help from the insanity of Escobar's actual life and activities.

Spoiler: show
Not quite sure what they're gonna do with Season 2 though? By the end of Season 1 we're very, very near the end of Escobar's life, so I guess they'll probably find some way to kick off the next season with Escobar's death and then move on to some other drug kingpin for the bulk of the season?

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

newp
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 1:11 pm 

Yeah, there were a few times watching Narcos where if it hadn't been based on true events I would have been like “oh come on, that is just ridiculous!”. They did stretch rumour into truth and play stuff up, but still it's a wild story.

The incorporation of actual news footage from the time was pretty well done I thought, and I also appreciated the fact that they actually spoke Spanish rather than having people speak English with bad accents.

volutetheswarth
Our Lady of Perpetual Butthurt

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 8:33 pm 

iamntbatman wrote:
"hey dummy, this is what's happening" voice-over
Can this die already? This was in Tomorrowland, they kept pausing the movie and bickering, oh so new and original. Call me old fashioned but there's nothing wrong with a beginning, middle and end. I wanted to watch it for Wagner Moura but I'm quickly losing interest.

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 11:50 pm 

How many TV shows have orchestrated themes these days?

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 5:37 am 

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:21 am 

volutetheswarth wrote:
Can this die already?

Yeah, it gave me serious Dexter flashbacks. Really fuckin' lame crutch for a show to have. I would say the show is still worth watching. Is Wagner Moura the guy who plays Escobar? It's worth watching for his performance for sure, and just the unbelievable (somewhat) true story. Plus, I was often eating meals or chatting with people on my phone while watching the show, which normally isn't much of a problem but since it's probably got significantly more Spanish dialog than English, it meant I missed lines of subtitles here and there so I was actually sorta grateful for the "hey dummy" English voiceover because it made up for my failings as a subtitles reader. If I had been paying super close attention to every moment it would've been more irritating, I think.

Anyway I just made one of the most serious commitments a person can possibly make: I added Star Trek: TOS to my Netflix queue. I wonder how many total hours every series and every film together comes to? I can't skip shit episodes or shit movies. Not my style.

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:30 am 

iamntbatman wrote:
Anyway I just made one of the most serious commitments a person can possibly make: I added Star Trek: TOS to my Netflix queue. I wonder how many total hours every series and every film together comes to? I can't skip shit episodes or shit movies. Not my style.

I'm the same way, and that admittedly gave me some trouble when starting DS9 (having been intrigued by seeing several excellent later-series episodes via my friend). Season 1 was...a bit of a challenge.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:54 am 

Oh I meant to imply that this will be my first ever foray into Trek other than seeing Wrath of Khan once years ago and watching the two new movies. Once I start TOS it's pretty much a commitment to watch every single episode and movie of all things Star Trek as far as I'm concerned.

Necroghast
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 11:48 am 

I just finished Twin Peaks for the first time. Totally crazy ending but I can't say that it doesnt make sense. Looking forward to new episodes!

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 3:13 pm 

iamntbatman wrote:
Oh I meant to imply that this will be my first ever foray into Trek other than seeing Wrath of Khan once years ago and watching the two new movies. Once I start TOS it's pretty much a commitment to watch every single episode and movie of all things Star Trek as far as I'm concerned.

Prepare for lots of shitty movies.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 5:27 pm 

iamntbatman wrote:

Just be aware that about a third of the episodes of the first season are crappy, and about half of the second and third seasons. The second season is buoyed up by some of the best episodes in the entire series, though. The third season has a few really great ones, but ranges mostly from decent to downright awful. There's a particularly horrendous episode in which they discover a planet full of aliens who somehow exactly resemble Native Americans. Racism ensues!

Really though, one of the main problems you'll encounter in watching through the whole series is the insane number of concept recycling. The three main ones are:

1) Enterprise encounters hostile aliens with godlike powers, who toy with the crew but are ultimately outwitted.

2) On an away mission, a crew member contracts a deadly disease/parasite/weird effect, which causes _________, eventually leading to death. Spock and McCoy must find a cure before the entire crew dies.

3) The Enterprise discovers a planet which exactly mirrors Earth of another time period.

That's not to say the concepts themselves are bad (except #3, which just sucks), but they happen SO OFTEN. Probably about 1/3 of the episodes follow one or more of them, at least in part. Still, the good episodes are really really good, and the main characters are very strong, so it's worth watching IMO.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 5:41 pm 

I'm currently marathoning TNG myself after my DS9 marathon of last year and I enjoy myself immensely. I'm at season 5 with the two parts episode with Spock, so good! TOS seems a bit too dated but I think I'll try it later. Voyager as well.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 7:20 pm 

I've been sorta considering a rewatch of DS9 at some point. Maybe I should wait for a female companion, though.
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:55 pm 

Metantoine wrote:
I'm currently marathoning TNG myself after my DS9 marathon of last year and I enjoy myself immensely. I'm at season 5 with the two parts episode with Spock, so good! TOS seems a bit too dated but I think I'll try it later. Voyager as well.

Watching the BD's? Quite insane how good they look. It'd be nice to see DS9 get that treatment as well.

I took a break from DS9 after season 3, was really getting into it and digging it. It's so different from TNG, which is a good thing of course. I know who comes into season 4 so it'll probably be another marathon to the end when I pick it back up.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 11:27 pm 

Xeogred wrote:
Metantoine wrote:

Watching the BD's? Quite insane how good they look. It'd be nice to see DS9 get that treatment as well.

I see that as being quite unlikely. While DS9 has a bigger market than VOY or ENT, it's still nowhere even close to TOS or TNG's, and a DS9 remaster would be even more expensive than it was for TNG. I think DS9 had like 3 times the number of FX shots as TNG? Of course nothing compares to Voyager, which turned into CGI city after like season 3.

While I'm not sure about Netflix, Amazon Prime has the blu-ray copies of TOS and TNG for free streaming in the US. :)
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:08 pm 

Just saw a preview for the X-Files reboot on TV; gave me a huge rod.

Is anybody else watching Gotham? This season is fucking intense, probably one of my favorite shows on right now. The guys they got to play Nigma and Jerome are beyond stellar actors and fit the parts perfectly.

Azmodes wrote:
It combines two of my favourite things: penis innuendo and derigin.

Meditari
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 11:40 pm 

^Yeah, these last couple of episodes have been so damn good that it might turn into one of my favorites as well. It was strange at first but I like what they're doing with Barbara right now and I can't wait to see more of these "Maniax" people.

The story feels a lot more grounded right now and less all over the place than last season. I'm hooked so far.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 11:47 pm 

Erosion of Humanity wrote:
Just saw a preview for the X-Files reboot on TV; gave me a huge rod.

I must be living under a rock because I didn't even know this was happening. Just looked it up for a second and I see Duchovny and Anderson are reprising their roles. Might be interesting. :)

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

~Guest 98976
Metal Pounder

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 12:28 pm 

Gotham is stupid great this season. I'm so looking forward to Jessica Jones. Noir-ish superhero films set in New York City give me a huge rod. Talking about huge rods, THAT'S WHERE I GET MINE.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 1:04 pm 

Xeogred wrote:
Metantoine wrote:

I took a break from DS9 after season 3, was really getting into it and digging it. It's so different from TNG, which is a good thing of course. I know who comes into season 4 so it'll probably be another marathon to the end when I pick it back up.

I'm not sure what BD means but no, I'm watching a good quality MKV downloads. I'm at season 7 right now but I don't want to end it yet so I'm watching it more slowly, I just finished the two parts episode Gambit and it was excellent! I'm also starting Voyager. I was scared because the characters seemed like shit but I think they're alright! I like Janeway and Chakotay is silly but fun.

I didn't like the episodes of Gotham I tried, I have no interest in a Batman series without Batman, really. I'm looking forward to Jessica Jones since Daredevil was so great and this new series has a good cast too. Also, Agents of SHIELD is also getting better and better, the season 3 premiere was quite good and this season will prepare us for Civil War.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 2:31 pm 

Blu-ray Discs!
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

Erotetic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 5:52 am 

Under_Starmere wrote:
Tried watching the first episode of The Bastard Executioner but couldn't get through more than a half hour or so. Just really dull, mediocre stuff that seems like it was made by people that are kinda tonedeaf to the sort of material they're trying to produce. Shitty Game of Thrones and Vikings similarities that are there for no reason, flat characters... lame stuff. Oh and the opening :lol: Oh fuck, the opening. Ugh, I'd say avoid.

yup, that country shit and the appearance of Katey Sagal with her terrible Draculaesque gypsy accent have about ruined it for me.

edit: fuck, the whole soundtrack is terrible. I don't know if I'll get through this ep.

but it reminds me that I should torrent Rome. enjoyed that when it was on TV back in the day, but probably missed countless eps.

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 11:32 am 

Oh yeah, Rome is amazing, screw The Bastard Executioner. Don't even waste your time. :thumbsup:

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 4:05 pm 

FasterDisaster wrote:
Gotham is stupid great this season. I'm so looking forward to Jessica Jones. Noir-ish superhero films set in New York City give me a huge rod. Talking about huge rods, THAT'S WHERE I GET MINE.

Heeyo! And FD continues to be one of my favorite people around. This show looks amazing; will be checking it out promptly. David Tennant is always welcome in my book.

Azmodes wrote:

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 2:27 am 

Bout to watch episode 2 of the new Homeland season. Episode 1 was great, imo. Homeland continuing its streak.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 2:55 am 

Season 1 of Rome was amazing but honestly, I have to agree with failsafeman about Season 2. So many historical characters getting folded into other historical characters sometimes for next to no reason, and the production values took a hit too. It was certainly not bad or even mediocre compared to most other historical dramas, but for Rome... let's just say that if the first season of Rome raised the bar, the second brought it right back down to where it started.

chaossphere
Metal Lunatic

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 3:25 am 

The Bastard Executioner kind of feels like a severely de-knackered version of Spartacus: Blood and Sand. The violence is there but the intensity and OTT amusement factor is replaced with lots of pace-killing twaddle and attempts at serious drama.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 4:29 am 

Nahsil wrote:
Bout to watch episode 2 of the new Homeland season. Episode 1 was great, imo. Homeland continuing its streak.

Second episode was a lot better. I cringed in the first at that ultra-lame "hacking" sequence (even Homeland is not spared this idiotic trope it seems) and found it generally boring, but things are picking up somewhat.
Spoiler: show
I figured Quinn would have Carrie as his target eventually but not that early, haha.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 4:32 am 

Has anyone here been watching Adam Ruins Everything? He really is the American Charlie Brooker; watch this:

Erotetic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:51 am 

you can't buy a car online?

my boss is having one imported from the US...he didn't go over there in person, so I assume it was online.

wasn't impressed with the segment, TBH. I wonder how many of his viewers even buy brand new cars, it's like aeroplanes, they can be looked after indefinitely so you don't really need one that's 'new' (and especially knowing how rapidly they depreciate, yet how long they can be a good reliable car for, why would you want new?)

WillyB
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 3:56 pm 

just started Buffy te Vampire Slayer, can't remember if I've seen any of the episodes before. Pretty good so far even if its all a little cliche. good watch for when I don't want to think too much

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 4:37 pm 

Erotetic wrote:
you can't buy a car online?

my boss is having one imported from the US...he didn't go over there in person, so I assume it was online.

wasn't impressed with the segment, TBH. I wonder how many of his viewers even buy brand new cars, it's like aeroplanes, they can be looked after indefinitely so you don't really need one that's 'new' (and especially knowing how rapidly they depreciate, yet how long they can be a good reliable car for, why would you want new?)

You can... but only from online dealerships; Amazon.com is not a dealership. Everything in that video was correct, they have pretty rigorous fact-checkers. His segment on why Jaywalking is a crime was great too; I learned about that a couple of years ago but only by synthesizing information from various sources, not from a single, readily available source.

I dunno, I think his show (so far at least) is genuinely Good For America, no hyperbole.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 2:03 am 

The season premiere of Fargo was fantastic. Extremely gorgeous cinematography and on point music choice.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:23 am 

Great to hear that, I'm really looking forward to it. The first season was awesome.

The Bastard Executioner is indeed a very lackluster package, but I'll keep on watching for now. The baroness is cute. :) Also, Sagal's accent borders on comical.

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:05 pm 

Saw another preview for X-Files during Gotham. Damn an I getting psyched up for it, supposed to be coming in January. I know it isn't going to be a full on comeback but hopefully it will gain enough attention to turn into one.

Azmodes wrote:

Foulchrist
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:40 pm 

darkeningday wrote:
Has anyone here been watching Adam Ruins Everything? He really is the American Charlie Brooker; watch this:

Watched the jaywalking one and gained a wee bit of knowledge. Might check out some others. Your comparison is a stretch though. Charlie Brooker's work rarely makes me cringe.

On that note, recently watched all of the How TV Ruined Your Life six-parter and loved every second. The love themed one particularly, that's the kind of episode I'd like to force people to watch with their eyelids taped open.

In its glory:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKSqXGZJKbk

Highly recommended series.

hots_towel wrote:
here's a fun little challenge. How long can you listen to this before you even smirk? I made it less than 10 seconds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YHgHO8im2s&t=77s

wharton
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 1:25 am 

I missed to watch the first episode of season 6 of The walking dead. So, I will just download it on torrent.

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 7:47 am 

Why bother? You can watch it on AMC's website ad-free right now. They don't usually do that but I guess they're doing something special since it is the season opener. Speaking of which, it was a pretty damn cool opener. Even cooler: the ending suggests the next episode (or two) will be the craziest episode(s) yet.

Holy zombie herd batman!

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 9:51 pm 

not impressed with the shock value use of brutal gay rape in the new season of American Horror Story. Beyond the super questionable ethical discernment involved, the show is poorly written. I'd rather watch Homeland and Fargo anyway.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 11:45 am 

I dig the atmosphere and choice of music this season. We'll see how storytelling and such hold up, though, since AHS's biggest problem has always been to keep the plot coherent and focused throughout each season (the first one might be the exception here). It's always been like the writers had no idea how to resolve the rainbow of insanity they'd been building up. But it's really more of a style-over-substance show, no doubt.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90 ... 182  Next