Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 2:04 am 

I can tell you that most people will call it STD for laughs and it will just catch on and become official, like how people call the XBox One the XBone, it was almost a joke at first but now look where we are.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 2:38 am 

Erotetic wrote:
darkeningday wrote:
You've gotta wonder if that was something they realized from the beginning or if it only hit them when the name became official and hit the net.

ST:TOS
ST:TNG
ST:DS9
ST:VOY
ST:ENT
ST:....... discovery

if VOY and ENT are things, wouldn't it just be DIS?

Not a big improvement.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

waiguoren
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 4:56 pm 

Man, I give up. I can't watch this new MacGuyver series. It feels like I am cheating on Richard Dean Anderson. I hope they don't make a new Airwolf series because two-timing Jan-Michael Vincent would be blasphemy.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 8:10 pm 

CALLING ALL JAN-MICHAEL VINCENTS

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 8:35 pm 

"Excuse me nurse, can you take my temperature? Because I think I have Jan Quadrant Vincent Fever over here!"

Fuck I love Rick and Morty. :D

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 10:59 am 

I adore Rick and Morty's improvised nonsense clip thingies. As I understand it, the voice actors come up with these stupid lines first and then the animators work with that. The best is still Two Brothers.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 9:04 pm 

Rick and Morty is brilliant. A show for the ages. Just finished binge watching Man Seeking Woman. Such a brilliant, surreal little show.

Anybody here watch Halt and Catch Fire?

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 12:52 pm 

Necroticism174 wrote:
Rick and Morty is brilliant. A show for the ages. Just finished binge watching Man Seeking Woman. Such a brilliant, surreal little show.

Anybody here watch Halt and Catch Fire?

Ohhh I need to check out the 2nd season of Man Seeking Woman, the first one was so weiiiiird. Eric André is fucking funny. I should probably watch his show.

Nahsil (iirc) and Asmodes are fans of Halt and Catch Fire, it looks good too.

Recently finished Killjoys season 2 and it's pretty fun and competent sci fi, nothing unbelievable but it's highly entertaining and the cast is cool and good looking!

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 1:03 pm 

Metantoine wrote:
Nahsil (iirc) and Asmodes are fans of Halt and Catch Fire, it looks good too.

News to me. :) Never heard of it.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 2:33 pm 

I like it yeah, although my interest has fanned out a bit. I may still check out the new season when I have time.
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

volutetheswarth
Our Lady of Perpetual Butthurt

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:15 pm 

^ Well I'm sure it'll be better than the latest South Park.

Sepulchrave
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 4:33 am 

Soo Adventure Time is ending in 2018. Pretty amazing run I should say.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 6:37 am 

Necroticism174 wrote:
Just finished binge watching Man Seeking Woman. Such a brilliant, surreal little show.

This comment about binge-watching made me binge-watch it. Fully agreed, how the hell did this slip under my radar? I haven't laughed this hard and consistently in a long time. Too many fantastic ideas, scenes and lines to mention.

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 8:28 am 

I've just been watching Luke Cage which is pretty awesome so far, I really like it.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 2:35 am 

So the Westworld pilot was pretty dope.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 4:14 am 

Oh yeah, well I think you're pretty dope, Az.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 6:52 am 

Thanks...?

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 10:18 am 

I wonder how many people have seen the original Westworld film before this TV show was even a thought.

*raises hand*

andersbang
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 2:33 pm 

Mr Robot season 2 almost lost me as a viewer. It picked up at the end, but I'm not sure I'm gonna follow the next season whenever it rolls around.

I'm looking for new stuff. Intense shit, manageable time time (no series that's been running for a long time). I love True Detective (both seasons!), Fargo, Boardwalk Empire and first season of Mr Robot.

Right now I'm looking at Quarry, The Night Of and The Night Manager. Anyone got any recs or comments on those?

Sepulchrave
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 2:35 pm 

rexxz wrote:
I wonder how many people have seen the original Westworld film before this TV show was even a thought.

*raises hand*

*raises hand*

Wait, the series of the same name is a remake? Huh. Wonder why I thought it was something else lol. Looks like a gritty reboot, but on the plus side it could expand upon the interesting ideas the original made. I remember being slightly disappointed at the end.

Last edited by Sepulchrave on Wed Oct 05, 2016 2:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 2:36 pm 

Well it can't exactly be a remake because one is a movie and one is a tv series... so...

It's just based on it.

Sepulchrave
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 2:39 pm 

Oh. My point still stands, I guess, kinda...

MacMoney
Man of the Cloth

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 10:37 am 

rexxz wrote:

*raises hand*

Watched it maybe ten years ago. Probably would've forgotten about it since I wasn't too taken in with the film, but Yul Brenner's performance is pretty striking.

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 10:47 am 

Westworld is going to be one of those VERY rare instances where the remake completely shits all over the original, quality wise. First episode was stunning. I cannot wait for the second. Even invited some people over to watch it sunday!

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 12:34 pm 

Halfway through The Night Of. I was expecting weirder for some reason, but shit man, this is great. It's basically a story that's not even long or involved or anything and traditionally probably would've happened during the course of a two-hour movie instead of an eight-hour series, but I like how dragged out it is and how much attention is paid to every detail and step of the process of it all.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 9:47 am 

Yikes, double post, but whatever!

The Night Of ruled. I know Riz Ahmed has had a few other somewhat high-profile roles and is in the upcoming Star Wars movie, but shit man, this is total career-making stuff for him I think. Based on the description of the show I expected him to be very low-key and passive in this shitstorm unfolding around him, but he proved to be a powerful presence. Definitely has a bright career ahead of him. And boy am I glad it was John Turturro in that role rather than De Niro like it was supposed to be.

Also I just watched the wedding episode of DS9. You know a show is flat out amazing when it can come off a multi-episode super serious story arc to a lighthearted filler episode and have it be just fucking phenomenal.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 4:47 pm 

Yeah man that's the thing about DS9 that I don't think any of the other Star Treks quite pulled off - they built such a strong character base over the course of the first seasons that later on they could do just about anything with them and it would be great. Even that fucking stupid episode where the runabout gets shrunk is great. TNG comes close, but just doesn't have as deep a roster. When fuckin Doctor Mom or even Troi has to carry an episode (or god forbid Wesley), it just doesn't work a lot of the time. But shit, even NOG is able to carry multiple episodes in DS9. That's how deep their roster is.

newp
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 5:24 pm 

Ehhh I dunno, like any show some of the filler episodes fall flat. I just watched the episode in S4 where Nog forms a union. And like... that is it. That's the entire episode.

Generally though, I'd agree. I think I might just be getting impatient to see more Federation vs Klingon Empire stuff.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 5:33 pm 

Oh sure, not every episode is perfect. But at least when I re-watched it a while ago, I never, ever finished an episode feeling like it had been a complete waste of time. The characters were good enough to elevate even a mediocre concept like "Nog forms a union" above a certain minimum threshold. I can't say the same for any other Star Trek series.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 6:57 pm 

I think TNG is better overall, although DS9 does have strong moments. Nothing quite hits the level of quality acting/storytelling as some of Data and Picard's material in DS9 for me.
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 8:42 pm 

That's arguable of course, but what really puts DS9 over TNG for me is that most of S1 and big chunks of S2 of TNG are just total shit. Obviously later on it hit its stride (coincidentally, right around the time Wesley got written out...), but there's gotta be almost 40 episodes that I hope I never, ever have to sit through again. That's not a great average.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 9:03 pm 

DS9 is the best to me because of what FSM said, the whole cast of characters is great and interesting. Voyager, ENT and TNG all have disposable and annoying characters and you're like "shiiiiiiiit another Harry Kim/Doctor Mom/Wesley episode".

I've been watching the first four episodes of Designated Survivor with Kiefer Sutherland and it's interesting albeit a bit generic. This is the White House series but with a twist. Basically, Jack Bauer is the secretary of housing under the chief of staff and he becomes the president once the whole congress dies in an explosion! He's also married to Mulder's wife from Californication. Not sure it will be interesting for a 22 episodes season but we'll see.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Expedience
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:02 pm 

TNG had its share of throwaway episodes, but they were mostly the lightweight ones anyway. DS9's weakest eps were always when it tried to do heavy and philosophical and failed spectacularly. Like Sisko poisoning an entire planet for personal revenge, or going back in time to replace the 21st century "hero" who made the brilliant observation about there not being jobs and thereby saving Earth History. DS9's morals were totally ridiculous at times. Give me the Grand Nagus episodes over that shit any day.

keletkezes
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 11:27 am 

rexxz wrote:

*raises hand*
When we saw the trailer I thumped the OH in the arm and said 'I wonder if they've still got the spotty horsie?!' because our in-joke from watching the first one is Matt (OH) whispering to me 'that horse is spotty!' while we were watching it (as a group in a room with other SFF geeks).

On the ST front, I prefer TNG to DS9 but I really like both, not much between them. I think I only prefer it because I grew up with it first. We've been watching the Animated Series (ST: TAS) and, well, it's worth watching just for the hilarious bloopers (it's a cartoon WITH BLOOPERS).

I'm enjoying the latest Red Dwarf (series 11): it's very much written like the middle series, back to basics and outright daft.

Twitter: @keletkezes
Facebook: keletkezes
ВКонтакте: Dawn Hazle

newp
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 2:09 pm 

keletkezes wrote:
I'm enjoying the latest Red Dwarf (series 11): it's very much written like the middle series, back to basics and outright daft.

Oh yeah? That's good to hear. I found X was really hit and miss, just about every episode had something going for it and something working against it. I have been meaning to check out XI though.

severzhavnost
Something Stupid

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 3:35 pm 

My favourite thing about DS9 was following the shifting allegiances and political intrigue. That series had more of that than any other. Yes, TNG transformed the Klingons from enemies into grudging friends, but other than that, there was "us" vs. various villains. DS9 changed that with the Dominion Wars; and "By the Pale Moonlight" where Sisko conspires with Garak to false-flag the Romulans into switching sides, is my favourite episode of any Star Trek series.
It’s so powerful that your stomachs will damn.
Bulgogi Kimchi Bibimbap waffle burger! Holy shit! litterally shit!

newp
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 3:42 pm 

Thanks for the spoiler, ya turkey!

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 3:49 pm 

Here's another one for you, Darth Vader is Luke Skywalker's father.

newp
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 3:55 pm 

Nooooooo!

And hey, I watched the first couple seasons of DS9 when it was on TV but didn't see any of like 4 through 7, so it's new to me!

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 4:25 pm 

ItPM was what my friend showed me to hook me on DS9, which worked - and humorously enough it worked for all of Trek since I had watched NG before, but DS9 was the first time I liked things enough to go out and watch Trek of my own volition.

Second one he showed me was The Visitor. Goddamn, that episode hits right in the feels.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 102, 103, 104, 105, 106, 107, 108 ... 182  Next