PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 10:20 am 

Can we take a second to appreciate the pure cheese of Enterprise's theme song:

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 6:31 pm 

Metantoine wrote:
Expedience wrote:
Some more tidbits about Star Trek: Discovery:

-Female lead, who will be lieutenant commander, NOT captain. Probably won't be a white person.
-The show will have a gay character.
-Set 10 years before the original series featuring Captain Kirk and will bridge the gap between 2005 series Enterprise and the Kirk years.
-More aliens than you would usually expect on the crew - it will not be "one person with a bumpy head". And there will be robots.
-May be the possibility of seeing younger versions of the characters seen in Kirk's crew, but not until the second season. There is also the chance to see the character of Spock's mother, Amanda Grayson, played by Winona Ryder in JJ Abrams's 2009 big screen adaptation.
-The first season will consist of 13 episodes rather than the traditional 20-24 episodes to keep storytelling tight.
-Because the programme will be shown on CBS's on demand platform, it will not be "subject to broadcast standards and practices" usually seen on network TV. Fuller said it would allow a "broader spectrum" of content including "slightly more graphic content" and profanity.

I'm fine with all of it except that it's a fucking prequel. I really didn't want that.

I think having the lead character as a commander and not a captain can be very interesting and really change the dynamics. I like Fuller so I'm confident this will be good. In the meantime, I'm midway through season 6 of Voyager and I can see how a 13 episodes season will be able to streamline the story!

Yeah, what the heck with the prequel bullshit. SERIOUSLY?!?!?!?!

I hope it's good regardless, but oh my god, why.
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 12:25 am 

So I watched the first episode of Z Nation when it first aired and it felt like a cheap ripoff of Walking Dead. I read more reviews, so I decided to give it another chance. Im halfway through the first season and feel like it's a much more fast paced version of TWD, with a sense of humor.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 1:51 pm 

So DS9 is awesome. Finished S4 and I'm fully hooked. I fucking LOVE when Sisko flips out on people for acting like idiots. Brings that "get 'em, dad" quality to the CO that somehow Picard rarely had. Really direct and visceral in a refreshing way, but they've also done a great job of showing Sisko to be not only a respectable, cool guy but also a total intellectual, which makes the weightiness of his authority even more profound I think. Not to mention his dad-ness which I thought would get in the way but actually manages to add to the show in appreciable ways.

Anyway it's basically great and I can't wait for more, but between seasons...STRANGER THINGS. Finally getting around to it. Perfect if you ask me. Amazing marriage of 80's nostalgia-soaked brilliance (Carpenter, Spielberg, Stephen King, it's all there) but far better than the mess that seems like it ought to be. Masterful hands at work here who obviously wear their influences on their sleeves yet have powerful artistic visions all their own. Stunning television. Sexy soundtrack.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

newp
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 2:13 pm 

I left like I needed a decent show that I could just throw on when I just felt like bumming around or have on while cooked or whatever, so I decided to start DS9 from the beginning. I'm pretty sure I watched most of the first couple seasons during its original run, so I'll probably start paying more attention to it once it gets to the whole Dominion thing.

Also, S2 of Narcos is out! I rather enjoyed S1, and while they did stretch the story a bit, it's still amazing what an insane life Escobar had.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 9:54 am 

iamntbatman wrote:
So DS9 is awesome. Finished S4 and I'm fully hooked. I fucking LOVE when Sisko flips out on people for acting like idiots. Brings that "get 'em, dad" quality to the CO that somehow Picard rarely had. Really direct and visceral in a refreshing way, but they've also done a great job of showing Sisko to be not only a respectable, cool guy but also a total intellectual, which makes the weightiness of his authority even more profound I think. Not to mention his dad-ness which I thought would get in the way but actually manages to add to the show in appreciable ways.

Yeah, Sisko is definitely my favorite captain, as much as I like Picard and (movie) Kirk. He's a really great contrast to Picard and they clearly wanted to do a much different type of captain, with him essentially being forced to be the pragmatist and compromise on his ideals to find the best way constantly, whereas Picard was nearly always able to stay squeaky clean. The difference with Sisko is that he had to be much more of a politician than Picard did - he was essentially the Federation diplomat to the Bajorans, the Cardassians, and the Dominion, plus the mayor of the little station community, plus a major religious figure to the Bajorans.

imo it only gets better from S4 so strap in, boyo.

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 4:33 pm 

Expedience wrote:
Some more tidbits about Star Trek: Discovery:
-Set 10 years before the original series featuring Captain Kirk and will bridge the gap between 2005 series Enterprise and the Kirk years.
-May be the possibility of seeing younger versions of the characters seen in Kirk's crew, but not until the second season.
-The first season will consist of 13 episodes rather than the traditional 20-24 episodes to keep storytelling tight.
-Because the programme will be shown on CBS's on demand platform, it will not be "subject to broadcast standards and practices" usually seen on network TV. Fuller said it would allow a "broader spectrum" of content including "slightly more graphic content" and profanity.

You don't have to be a mega genius to read between the lines here...

-It's set ten years before the original sereas in the nu-Trek universe because they have absolutely no original ideas.
-We'll see younger versions of the Kirk crew in the hopes that fanservice will make up for the lack of original ideas.
-The first season is cut short because the network has zero faith in the show and isn't going to give them any resources.
-It's on the on demand streaming service to ensure nobody sees it and it will have the tone of a "mature" and "serious" action soap-opera instead of a Star Trek show. How many times have you guys watched "City on the Edge of Forever" and "The Inner Light" and thought "This would be so much better with some titties and f-bombs!"?

Not that I know any of this is going to be the case yet, but based on the information that's been put out there I have absolutely no faith this will be even remotely good. *sighs*

Xenophon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 1:09 pm 

I just recently started season 5 of Star Trek: TNG.

I thought "Darmok" was a brilliant episode and it reminded me of a book I read recently for a class--Giambattista Vico's The New Science, where he posits that the origin of language--and, in addition, science, politics, ethics, etc.--comes from ancient humans' mythology.

On the other hand, I cannot friggin stand Ensign Ro.

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 3:35 pm 

Darmok is one of the best ST episodes ever, from any series.

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 5:28 pm 

I haven't posted here in a while. Like many, I binged on Stranger Things, which was just excellent. At the moment I'm planning to get into the new Narcos season and also thinking of checking out 'The Night Of'. There's a lot of chatter on social media about the latter, especially because of Riz Ahmed's (famous for 4 Lions) performance. I haven't even seen the trailer yet but I gather it's a promising show (from hearsay and recommendations). Anyone's watching it?

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 5:31 pm 

I've already seen it all, it was pretty decent.

waiguoren
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 5:41 pm 

I'd say John Turturro was the star of The Night Of. In fact, he was so good in it I went out afterwards and purchased a set of chopsticks for my feet. The Night Of was good, but you've seen it all before (well, I suppose you really have if you've seen the original Brit series it was based on).

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 5:45 am 

I think it's one the best new TV series. Quite intense and well done with a great cast.

metroplex
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 4:45 pm 

The Night Of

Two episodes in and can't stop watching. The story grabs you from the get go and doesn't let you go. Great acting so far and nice cinematography. Pure HBO goodness.

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 4:47 pm 

Without spoiling, I was kinda hoping that the story would be more... strange. I don't think supernatural is the word I'm looking for but I felt like the first episode sets you up for so much "wtf?" and has the most perfect tense and uneasy atmosphere that sits on a razor's edge. The rest of the show is good, no doubt about that. The way it played out felt too mundane for me in a certain sense.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 5:07 pm 

This was EXACTLY my problem with season 1 of True Detective.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 5:09 pm 

I actually loved Season 1 of True Detective because I felt that it *did* supply on the weirdness and wtf-ness. /shrug

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 9:03 pm 

I thought it didn't go far enough but that's mostly because there were numerous explicit references to The King in Yellow, which gets very much weirder. I was expecting/hoping them to fully take the gloves off right at the end, but they pulled the punches and Rust only sorta saw something maybe. Not that I wanted a big monster to pop out and go BOO, but something fitting for Carcosa - strange is the night where black stars rise/and strange moons circle through the skies/but stranger still is Lost Carcosa.

It's still super awesome though and probably the best single season of any show ever.

metroplex
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 9:08 pm 

Yea i'm on episode 5 now and i'm kinda let down a bit because i was expecting something else, but still enjoying it if that makes sense. That first episode was so different to the rest so far.

True Detective season 1 was excellent, except for the very last scene.

volutetheswarth
Our Lady of Perpetual Butthurt

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 9:27 pm 

^The first episode was very mysterious but how long do you think they could've kept up people disappearing and random things popping out of the woods and no talking and people for seemingly no reason being shot? :scratch: :scratch: :scratch: - This would have been the reaction.

metroplex
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 3:28 am 

@The Night Of

Spoiler: show
It was a safe ending and i think it redeemed itself in the end. It's not a masterpiece but still a pretty solid series.

One thing that bothered me was why his lawyers or anyone brought up the fact that if he had indeed stabbed the victim 22 times why was there no blood on his clothes?

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 3:30 am 

rexxz wrote:
Without spoiling, I was kinda hoping that the story would be more... strange. I don't think supernatural is the word I'm looking for but I felt like the first episode sets you up for so much "wtf?" and has the most perfect tense and uneasy atmosphere that sits on a razor's edge. The rest of the show is good, no doubt about that. The way it played out felt too mundane for me in a certain sense.

I didn't get that from the pilot. It's edge-of-your-seat grade stuff, especially
Naz scuffling around the police station with the cops edging ever closer to figuring it out
, but the vibe I got was simply wordly murder mystery/drama. Unlike TD with all its occult Southern eldritch horror as a constant presence.

<333 Turturro

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 8:11 am 

Hmm, guess I know what I'm watching after DS9 S5! Seems neat.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 9:56 am 

Azmodes wrote:
rexxz wrote:

I didn't get that from the pilot. It's edge-of-your-seat grade stuff, especially
Naz scuffling around the police station with the cops edging ever closer to figuring it out
, but the vibe I got was simply wordly murder mystery/drama. Unlike TD with all its occult Southern eldritch horror as a constant presence.

<333 Turturro

For me I thought it was excellently done, very tense and suspenseful and I felt like anything could happen at any moment. That's what I loved about the pilot.

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 10:25 am 

As a receipt for having me watch (and eventually enjoy) Supernatural, I'm going through choice cuts from the Real Ghostbusters with my girlfriend. She got me the series box set (which looks like the firehouse) a couple years ago for XMas and revisiting it has shown me a few things:

-The quality of writing is actually borderline great. For a kid's cartoon to handle such dark material with a jovial attitude is a bit of a shock.
-The sense of humor is incredibly close to the movie. It's more personalized with each character, with Egon being very dry and Venkman sarcasm personified, but goofy enough for children. It's the right balance of jokes that kids will laugh hysterically at and adults can at least smirk over.
-The animation quality is all over the place. Some scenes are gorgeous and borderline Akira in fluidity but most are maybe a step above Hannah Barberra.
-That there were reasons given for the differences in character and equipment design is a pleasant surprise, and I completely missed it as a kid. In the show, the movies are based off the cartoon characters, and they complain about how Hollywood-ized it all is.

darkeningday wrote:
I haven't saw any of the Seen movies.

volutetheswarth

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:19 am 

American Horror Story Season 6 Episode 1 - Utterly boring predictable style of substance garbage. Actual dialogue *Cuba Gooding Jr makes higher bid on house* "That got me hot when he did that"... Yeeeeeah smh. Shitty acting, Cuba Gooding Jr talking with a dry squeaky voice, lame shoehorning of that knockout game and modern tech.. SPOILERS not that anybody cares:
Gotta be creepy so prepare for... PIG HEAD HUMAN on CREEPY HOME VIDEO and, um, TEETH falling from the sky, and um, blair witch knockoff sticks, the earth waving/rippling for no reason, weird equals scary apparently :roll:

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 2:14 pm 

As far as stellar writing goes, you forgot "An asshole. I hate assholes."

Yeah, this was pretty weak. Usually the seasons start out pretty cool and only turn to crap after a few episodes. I guess they've streamlined the process.

rawsewage
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 6:13 pm 

Need something new to watch. How is Fargo?

volutetheswarth

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 9:20 pm 

Azmodes wrote:
As far as stellar writing goes, you forgot "An asshole. I hate assholes."

Yeah, this was pretty weak. Usually the seasons start out pretty cool and only turn to crap after a few episodes. I guess they've streamlined the process.

There was alot of choice bits I neglected (as was the sex talk/scene which served no purpose). "Those ZZ Top Wannabes" was dumb and random. I enjoyed the first few episodes of Freakshow until you know who took a dirtnap then it took a stupid u-turn and meandered through boring two-bit characters.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 2:56 am 

There's something so absolutely lazy and mechanistic about AHS. They just never really bother with telling a good story, or story, it's always cramming shock after shock, horror after horror, weirdness after weirdness, fucked-up character after fucked-up character into it until the whole thing gets so insane and delirious there's no way out of it anymore. There's a lot of great style and atmosphere across the seasons, but hardly ever much substance. As I remember, the only seasons having a passable mix of gimmickry and actual, deliberate writing were the first one and parts of the second, but generally speaking the MO is to just say fuck it and try to throw as much stuff as they can at the viewer and hope that that turns out to be entertainment. You could say that's the whole idea behind Everything Horror - The Series, but I find it gets obnoxious quickly.

rawsewage wrote:

One of the best shows in recent years. Season 1 is fantastic in almost every respect and season 2 manages to top it.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 5:47 am 

rawsewage wrote:

Fantastic, totally worth a watch. Great storytelling, acting, dialogue, etc.

and yeah, AHS thrives almost exclusively on shock aesthetics. Not much to it. Can be fun at times regardless, but yeah, nothing really there at the end of the day, except perhaps a postmodern critique of art? ;)
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

andersbang
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 1:35 pm 

rawsewage wrote:

Amazing. I'd recommend watching the movie first, mainly because it's great, but also because there are a few small references to it in the show, but you can definitely watch the show by itself and not miss a thing.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 4:14 pm 

Anyone following Quarry? Set in the early 70s, Logan Marshall-Green (AKA not-Tom Hardy) plays a Vietnam vet returning home and essentially starting to work as a hitman, but of course it's not as simple as it first seems. I like the calculated use of menace and violence, nicely authentic setting and the cast in general (omg, it's Dewey from Justified playing an actual badass!); Marshall-Green is quite good. The story has been a bit slow these first two episodes, but feels like this one could be destined for some intense shit.

severzhavnost
Something Stupid

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 4:19 pm 

I watched Kevin James' new sitcom "Kevin Can Wait" on Monday - guy's exactly the fuckin' same as he was on "King of Queens". I loves my nostalgia :D Apart from welcoming James back to the TV, the show's okay. Biggest storyline is the daughter moving back home with her odd boyfriend. Yeah, it'll be pretty bog-standard fare - and huzzah for that!
It’s so powerful that your stomachs will damn.
Bulgogi Kimchi Bibimbap waffle burger! Holy shit! litterally shit!

severzhavnost
Something Stupid

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 4:22 pm 

PS: Trek fans, are those goofs at CBS still planning to restrict STD to their newfangled streaming service? If so, feck! Prepare to boldly go... unwatched.
It’s so powerful that your stomachs will damn.
Bulgogi Kimchi Bibimbap waffle burger! Holy shit! litterally shit!

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 6:20 pm 

Oh, it'll be watched by millions.

Just not legitimately.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

volutetheswarth

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 7:40 pm 

severzhavnost wrote:
PS: Trek fans, are those goofs at CBS still planning to restrict STD to their newfangled streaming service? If so, feck! Prepare to boldly go... unwatched.
Haha "STD", maybe don't abbreviate this one.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 1:36 am 

You've gotta wonder if that was something they realized from the beginning or if it only hit them when the name became official and hit the net.

ST:TOS
ST:TNG
ST:DS9
ST:VOY
ST:ENT
ST:....... discovery
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 1:47 am 

Maybe it'll be so bad it will give you AIDS.

Erotetic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 2:01 am 

darkeningday wrote:
You've gotta wonder if that was something they realized from the beginning or if it only hit them when the name became official and hit the net.

ST:TOS
ST:TNG
ST:DS9
ST:VOY
ST:ENT
ST:....... discovery

if VOY and ENT are things, wouldn't it just be DIS?

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, 106, 107 ... 182  Next