Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
lord_ghengis
Still Standing After 38 Beers... hic

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:42 pm 

Haha, I'd love Saul to have success because he's hilarious, but I don't think I could find him believable with any sort of power, he has to remain a tacky weasel.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:12 am 

PhilosophicalFrog wrote:
DOPE OPENING EPISODE.

Yeah, it was quite good but I think I only really enjoyed it as much as I did cause I was super baked. It was a classic Breaking Bad "exposition" episode. Mainly tying up old plot threads and setting up a few things for future episode. It also notably contained Walt Jr. Speaking more consecutive words than ever before and actually SHEDDING SOME LIGHT on something. I thought I must be hallucinating. Magnets motherfuckers.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:11 pm 

Just started watching Twin Peaks for the first time tonight. Probably should've done this sooner...

burnroasted
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:48 pm 

Wow trailer park boys is good. Ive watched the first three seasons in 3 days already.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 4:23 pm 

The new episode of Louie was so funny. As was the previous one with Robin Williams. They make up for the weak season so far. That rug scene had me in stitches.

newp
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 5:34 pm 

Under_Starmere wrote:
Just started watching Twin Peaks for the first time tonight. Probably should've done this sooner...

Twin Peaks is fantastic!

Warning though, about 1/3 of the way into the second season it has a rather notable dip in quality. Like, by a lot. It does pick up again in the last 3 or 4 episodes if you manage to stick it out.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 5:44 pm 

I'm watching Doctor Who these days, Empyreal would be proud of me. 2 episodes left for the Eccleston season, gonna watch the first season of the latest doctor soon. I'll get the ones of Tennant later, since I've seen some episodes in the past. Digging the series so far.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:04 pm 

Necroticism174 wrote:
The new episode of Louie was so funny. As was the previous one with Robin Williams. They make up for the weak season so far. That rug scene had me in stitches.

WEAK SEASON!? I've loved it, though it seems noticeably more awkward and maybe less funny.
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:08 pm 

Metantoine wrote:
I'm watching Doctor Who these days, Empyreal would be proud of me. 2 episodes left for the Eccleston season, gonna watch the first season of the latest doctor soon. I'll get the ones of Tennant later, since I've seen some episodes in the past. Digging the series so far.

I'm almost to season 5. It's really good. Some of the sci fi concepts are just fascinating and the characters are all a lot of fun. It's a bit inconsistent episode to episode, but that's even part of the fun, because even the bad episodes (witness season 2's awful yet hilariously inept "Love and Monsters"...) feel really pulpy and vintage in their own way. Good show. I like Eccleston a bit more than Tennant, but at the same time Tennant is just so into what he's doing and clearly loves the show so much that I think it would have been a good change even if Eccleston hadn't been dissatisfied with the show's direction. Eccleston said he never even watched the show as a kid so yeah, probably was a good move for the long run.

Caj1
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:51 am 

My TV intake is mostly Top Gear, King of the Hill, Seinfeld, Breaking Bad (I've missed all of Season Five up to now, thanks a lot, Dish) Survivorman, Wilfred, Louie, and lots and lots of SportsCenter, since I usually leave it on for background noise.

By_Inheritance
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:30 pm 

CorpseFister wrote:
Under_Starmere wrote:

Twin Peaks is fantastic!

Warning though, about 1/3 of the way into the second season it has a rather notable dip in quality. Like, by a lot. It does pick up again in the last 3 or 4 episodes if you manage to stick it out.

Twin Peaks is the greatest tv show of all time!

Just recently finished watching Lost. Great show, and a lot better than I expected. Screw the haters! While I'm waiting for Game of Thrones/The Walking Dead to start again, I'm currently watching Firefly which is really good at the moment. Shame it's only one season long. Next on my agenda is The X-Files. It's about time I seen that properly. Heard good things and it's right up my alley.

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:07 pm 

Does anyone know when the next season of The Venture Brothers is coming out? I've been waiting for the second half of season 4 for like, a year.

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:07 am 

Caj1 wrote:
My TV intake is mostly Top Gear, King of the Hill, Seinfeld, Breaking Bad (I've missed all of Season Five up to now, thanks a lot, Dish) Survivorman, Wilfred, Louie, and lots and lots of SportsCenter, since I usually leave it on for background noise.

Wasn't sure if anyone else watched this show. What do you think of it? I think when it works, it works very well, but some of the episodes just aren't quite as good. The perspective it presents with Wilfred's character is pretty bizarre, but I find it pretty charming. Plus, I absolutely love anything with Allison Mack.

droneriot
cisgender

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:27 am 

HUGE news everyone! Michael J. Fox is returning to full-time acting in a yet untitled sitcom based loosely on his personal life, about a father suffering from Parkinson's. He says a new drug regimen helps him keep his symptoms under control, allowing him to return to acting full-time.

Here's the BBC News article: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-19329468

https://conservativetentacles.bandcamp.com/

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:36 pm 

By_Inheritance wrote:

Eh, based on my experience thus far, I'd have to strongly disagree. I've hit the aforementioned mid-second-season slump, and it's rather abysmal. All the sub-plots are not only worthless but boring as hell, and even the main story has just become kind of silly. I didn't want to bail on this show, but now I'm considering just stopping before it gets any worse. It has its moments, but they're far too few and far between.

CF_Mono
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:14 pm 

Anyone see the new Survivorman? I can't wait for more! He's such an inspiring character.

By_Inheritance
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:41 pm 

Under_Starmere wrote:
By_Inheritance wrote:

Eh, based on my experience thus far, I'd have to strongly disagree. I've hit the aforementioned mid-second-season slump, and it's rather abysmal. All the sub-plots are not only worthless but boring as hell, and even the main story has just become kind of silly. I didn't want to bail on this show, but now I'm considering just stopping before it gets any worse. It has its moments, but they're far too few and far between.

I agree that there is a noticeable decline in quality after the Laura Palmer case is solved, but towards the end it starts to get better, the mythology of the show starts to increase and becomes more interesting, and the finale is easily one of the best episodes of the entire series. Then there's the film which recounts the last seven days of Laura which is among Lynch's best work. So while there are bad episodes, when it's good, it's brilliant. I'd say don't give up yet and see it through.

Calusari
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 5:53 am 

By_Inheritance wrote:
I agree that there is a noticeable decline in quality after the Laura Palmer case is solved, but towards the end it starts to get better, the mythology of the show starts to increase and becomes more interesting, and the finale is easily one of the best episodes of the entire series. Then there's the film which recounts the last seven days of Laura which is among Lynch's best work. So while there are bad episodes, when it's good, it's brilliant. I'd say don't give up yet and see it through.

Definitely. While I'm not too fond of how the first few episodes of the second season attempt to develop the character of Dale Cooper, and while the way some of the others are treated towards the end is a bit unsatisfying, the last few eps are marvellously unsettling and something you're not likely to forget. And, hey, David Duchovny - brilliant cameo.

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:38 am 

I decided to keep watching after all, and since I'm only a few episodes from the end, eh...might as well. Good to hear it picks up significantly at the end. I wish the show's various subplots didn't suck so goddamn much.

Bede
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:14 am 

My schedule is sometimes quite hectic, so I don't really follow any particular series from tv. For this reason, it was only two weeks ago when I familiarised myself (= after multiple exhortations) with 'How I Met Your Mother', and now I'm absolutely loving it. I'm on season six now, and all the seasons have been enjoyable so far.

MacMoney
Man of the Cloth

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:51 am 

Watched the first episode of a new show, Outlaw Country. Good god, do they let just anyone write shows these days? What a load of crap. I could go into detail about the Twilight-style romance between the two young stars of the show or the Mary Sueness of the male lead or the too-obvious baddies that his uncle and her mother are. Goddamn, it annoys me to see such lazy writing being so well compensated for (I imagine).

Obfuscation
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:23 pm 

Quote:
Anyone see the new Survivorman? I can't wait for more! He's such an inspiring character.
Yeah, I've always liked the show and I'm glad to have it back for awhile along with at least the re-runs of the old stuff. Hadn't seen them on Discovery in ages.

volutetheswarth
Our Lady of Perpetual Butthurt

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:39 am 

I'm mostly indifferent about Revolution at this point. I liked the idea but the novelty wore off pretty fast and even though the main characters were in danger, I didn't care either way. On the plus side, I didn't find it as annoying as Terra Nova and Gus from Breaking Bad was entertaining to watch so I wouldn't mind watching a few more episodes to see where it's going. I just have a feeling it's going to get bogged down with Charlie's love interest.

FateMetal
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:52 am 

Anyone bothered with the Emmys;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvckSqobfY8
Winners (no surprises, of course!)
http://www.emmys.com/nominations

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:41 pm 

Actually there is, I'm surprised Aaron Paul got the win. Good for him. :)

So lame that Michael C. Hall gets the shaft again, though.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

iAmDisturbed
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:53 am 

When will Michael C. Hall be awarded! I mean come on, Dexter ends next year...now is the time!

Aaron Paul won before, I'd have preferred they gave it to Esposito (Gus!)

Kahalachan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:05 am 

I'm really liking The Wire.

Sopranos is the HBO crime show everyone knows, but is it that good? It doesn't seem interesting. Mob stories are done to death for me.

But something gritty, urban, realistic, blue collar, tough, is what's interesting me now. It's a show that understands you don't need action or flamboyance to depict someone being badass.

Some of the coolest characters you misjudge them on sight. Lester Freamon looks wimpy. Frank Sobokta looks like he's some old has-been. But man they're both really cool.

Good character development makes you reconsider characters.

EssexCounty
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:18 pm 

volutetheswarth wrote:
I'm mostly indifferent about Revolution at this point. I liked the idea but the novelty wore off pretty fast and even though the main characters were in danger, I didn't care either way. On the plus side, I didn't find it as annoying as Terra Nova and Gus from Breaking Bad was entertaining to watch so I wouldn't mind watching a few more episodes to see where it's going. I just have a feeling it's going to get bogged down with Charlie's love interest.

I agree with everything you said. I was looking forward to the show because the concept seemed interesting. I am glad it isn't like the movie the Darkest Hour though because I thought it was going to go there. The first episode was pretty good but I thought the second was weak. I'll definitely watch 2 more episodes before deciding whether to finish the season or not. And yes, the love interest thing is annoying already.... kill him.

Yahko
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:54 pm 

Kahalachan wrote:
I'm really liking The Wire.

Oh yeah! For me this is the best TV series ever created because it shows us really how things work. Series like the Sopranos or OZ are more concentrated on the characters, The Wire is concentrated on the environment the characters are in.

I started to with Sons of Anarchy now - I like it but it gets predictable sometimes, every time they are up against something things go wrong bla bla bla.

I started with Boardwalk Empire and I couldnt pass the 4rd episode - I'm probably one of the few people but its just flat and despite the action and the idea (which I like) it doesnt drive me to watch for some reason. Maybe I need to pass the first season and the second would be more interesting. I compare it to all the TV series like Oz, Sopranos, Dexter, Californication, SOA, Breaking Bad, Walking Dead - I just dont have the drive to watch. The nudity in it doesnt add anything to the face of the show (my opinion).

I'm surely waiting for the new Walking Dead, Dexter, Californication, Nurse Jackie. Other than that I might watch an episode of Family Guy or American Dad if its on TV before I go to sleep - but I wont watch it religiously like I do with other series.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:45 pm 

I agree with you about Boardwalk Empire. I watched all of S1 and most of the second, then gave up. The production values and acting are superb, but it's just not very compelling TV.

And yes, The Wire = best cop drama ever.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:27 pm 

Heh, I like Boardwalk Empire. I'd say I'm even more into it than Breaking Bad at this point in time.

Kahalachan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:54 am 

Yahko wrote:

Oh yeah! For me this is the best TV series ever created because it shows us really how things work.

Yeah that's one major thing that makes it great.

I'm in Season 2 and one of my favorite scenes is when the cops start to put the heat on
Spoiler: show
Sobotka and it shows him getting frustrated and angry and scared when he was by the mirror
and that was cool and realistic. It's how I would honestly have reacted if the cops were flashing like they were onto me.

All the characters are unique. Stringer Bell is nothing like Sobotka, neither of them are anything like Omar, and none of the above are like that idiot who needs to die, Ziggy.

As of now Bunk might be my favorite. He's not this boy scout like McNulty or Freeman but he's not crooked. He's laid back and will cover for you, but only so far. Kima needs to break up with her dumb gf. Then she'll be way better. Maybe the best character on the show if she's unbridled.

MacMoney
Man of the Cloth

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:50 am 

The Wire is not the best cop drama ever, it's probably the best drama ever. At least on TV. Twin Peaks is maybe as good or better. Maybe. And it's all about Stringer Bell, man. The coolest character in the show.

Spoiler: show
And what speaks volumes of the quality of the show is the fact that I found the show getting perhaps even better after he left.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 3:01 am 

Starting The X Files again. Never gets old...well Season 1 (1993) is starting to show its age a bit, I admit.

Metal_Detector
Reticular Modular Unit

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 3:17 am 

Did anyone watch Last Resort? I just saw the pilot, and damn, it was good.

Bahamut7
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 2:21 pm 

I know the talk of Doctor Who was from last month but I only got into it recently and have covered as much as season 1 from the revival series to the half-way point of season 6. So I'm not up to date on the latest episode but I'm very close. Been having a blast with what I've seen so far, although there are low-points of the series such as the already mentioned Love & Monsters but I also say the 2008-10 specials weren't that great either. Planet of the Dead and The Waters of Mars could have easily been 45 minute episodes as opposed to an hour while The End of Time was horribly overextended so I was glad to get to the eleventh Doctor with Matt Smith and start up season 5 already.

As far as modern Doctors and writers go, I did like Eccleston but at first it was all "He doesn't look like The Doctor" but I quickly got used to him and liked the character. It's a shame he only lasted for one season but I was still fond of Tennant and he was given enough time on the show. With the departure of both Tennant and the main writer Russell T Davies, the seasons with Matt Smith feel like a reboot of the show. It does feel better with Moffat as the main writer but when RTD was around, I felt he was doing well at first but season after season he did deteriorate. I can still appreciate him for starting off the modern series with a fast-paced episode featuring the Autons.

I've only watched two episodes of the latest season of Doctor Who which are the last two but at least I've almost caught up with the modern series. Since there's no more until Christmas, all I've got to settle with TV in the meantime is Red Dwarf X which I hope won't be craptastic like Back to Earth was.

~Guest 132892
Wastelander

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 2:34 pm 

Diamhea wrote:
Starting The X Files again. Never gets old...well Season 1 (1993) is starting to show its age a bit, I admit.

I used to watch the fuck out of that show. I try to go back to it but it just seems so... campy. I just can't get into it these days.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:01 pm 

I've been slogging through Babylon 5 lately. About midway through the third season now.

Goddamn, is this show terrible.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

EssexCounty
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:36 am 

Metal_Detector wrote:
Did anyone watch Last Resort? I just saw the pilot, and damn, it was good.

I thought it was good too... the only thing is, the beginning was slow. I noticed the first commercial was skipped, definitely a good thing. So far my favorite new fall show.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:39 am 

darkeningday wrote:
I've been slogging through Babylon 5 lately. About midway through the third season now.

Goddamn, is this show terrible.

Could you elaborate?

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 ... 182  Next