Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
DeathRiderDoom
Pro Sports Warder

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:21 pm 

Yeah H Jon Benjamin is good. I always liked him, though Bob's Burgers is total garbage imo.

I_Am_Vengeance
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:23 pm 

Just finished watching all 3 seasons of Justified, really enjoyed it. Great characters especially Raylan and Boyd.

Anyone else a fan?

MacMoney
Man of the Cloth

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 1:16 pm 

Yeah, I like Justified very much as well. It's pretty much the only show I bother with these days. Raylan is a great, quite multi-faceted character and most of the supports are good as well. I just wish there was more of his ex and his co-workers in the picture. I'm not too keen on how it focuses on the criminal element so much - a modern thing I suppose since all cop shows and flicks seem to do that these days. At least Boyd and that stuff has grown more likable and charismatic as the show's gone on. It's a rare thing these days that a show keeps improving. Or well, I guess I enjoyed the one-off episodes on the first season most, but when it comes to cop shows, I've always been more about the single episode, case-solving arcs rather than the multi-episode arcs that just seem to get too convoluted. Though recently The Wire has been converting me.

kgerych1995
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 1:26 pm 

DeathRiderDoom wrote:
Yeah H Jon Benjamin is good. I always liked him, though Bob's Burgers is total garbage imo.

Why is Bob's Burgers garbage??? o_O I simply LOVE the absurd humor on the show :lol:

kgerych1995
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 1:28 pm 

I Think we should start a petition to get King Of The Hill back on the air... I used to love that show, I even had to buy most of the season box sets lol

Warpig17
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:26 pm 

Idk I like King of the Hill and all...but I'm pretty satisfied with 13 Seasons lol. Although the fact that it was probably cancelled to make room for the abomination that is The Cleveland Show really sucks.

Artemus_Cain
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 7:03 pm 

Started watching Misfits on Hulu. Yeah, it's pretty good.

OH GOOD LORD I'M HEAVING AND HORKING

DeathRiderDoom
Pro Sports Warder

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 4:11 am 

(Re: Bob's Burger's) I dunno man, it's just really lame. Pretty big disappointment even though i didn;t have my hopes up for it or anything. Lame characters? I don't care for the animation style or the premise.Yeah, i decided very promptly that the show wasn't for me and wasn;t worth the hard drive space.

Man, getting so into Archer at the moment. I'm missing a few episodes and reeeeeally need to get the rest of them. I'm thinking i might make delicious food and do a marathon with someone on the weekend.

Last edited by DeathRiderDoom on Thu Jun 14, 2012 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ecliptik
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:13 am 

Looks like its already been discussed, but I really dig It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia. It's the only show I've ever watched that routinely makes me laugh out loud.
Also a fan of MythBusters, Futurama, and pretty much any documentary on history and science (namely astronomy).

Incantation
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:35 pm 

I'm a sci-fi geek, I watch all the Star Treks (except Enterprise), Firefly, Babylon 5, Battlestar Galactica, and The Big Bang Theory. I also like Family Guy, American Dad, Friends, The Ricky Gervais Show, Summer Heights High, Angry Boys and South Park.

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:55 pm 

Why not Enterprise? I know the theme song is horrible, but the show is alright.

Incantation
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:50 pm 

John_Sunlight wrote:

Quite honestly cause I haven't had a chance to, I've heard it's pretty good (aside from the theme song). Nothing against it at all and I'm sure I'll have time to watch it eventually, but I've just been so busy lately.

Incantation
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:02 pm 

Oblarg wrote:
Being overtly hostile to religious people simply because they are religious is obnoxious and childish. No, we should not tolerate religion in our legal system. That does not mean we have any sort of imperative to antagonize those who practice their religion in a reasonable, unobtrusive way.

Well said, I always say, why can't we all just get along. If someone is a jerk about being religious, fuck them, if someone is a jerk about being an athist, fuck them. There are studies to suggest certain things about both sides, at the end of the day that's an average, my boyfriend and his Dad are both scientists and his Dad is now patenting what may be the best treatment and possible cure for cancer the world has ever seen. It's about to go through the FDA, they are both Roman Catholics, but I'm sure they are smart than some athetists. You can find averages about anything and find studies that conflict with one another. At the end of the day I think we should all respect what each others views are as long as it doesn't impose on others.

Incantation
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:06 pm 

Necroticism174 wrote:
Just started watching Archer. Hilarious show. Not quite as funny as Louie, but damn. There's like two funny things that happen per minute at least.

Archer is brilliant.[/quote]

I can't believe I forgot this in my list!! I love Archer, but poor Winston, I really feel bad for the guy sometimes.

Violent_Possessor
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:46 pm 

So I watched Eastbound and Down last night and I must say it is probably one of the funniest shows I've watched and this is an amazing scene.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zuTvPkIz7Y0

"I'm Tom Cruise"

Jophelerx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:00 pm 

That new USA show that they've been whoring over and over, Common Law, actually seems pretty decent. Sure, the plot is the same as with any crime drama, but the characters are fun and interesting. That new show on TBS, Men at Work, is pretty cool too. Having seen all of the four main characters in previous roles, it's cool seeing them interact, and they all seem to be pretty good at comedy acting. When I first turned it on, I looked for the longest time at the guy with glasses, wondering who he was, and then realized he was the guy on House who pretended he was in love with cows. :-P

DeathRiderDoom
Pro Sports Warder

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:03 am 

Sweet. new futurama today!!!!!!!!!!!

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:57 am 

Tonight I watched the new Futurama and the new Adventure Time. I found myself enjoying AT a lot more.
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

DeathRiderDoom
Pro Sports Warder

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:30 am 

Yeah haven't seen that show yet. Didn't really like the main plot in the latest Futch, but there was some good stuff from Fry, Farnsworth etc

Expedience
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:08 am 

Incantation wrote:
John_Sunlight wrote:

Quite honestly cause I haven't had a chance to, I've heard it's pretty good (aside from the theme song). Nothing against it at all and I'm sure I'll have time to watch it eventually, but I've just been so busy lately.
'

Where did you hear that? Enterprise is terrible, a giant middle finger to the entire Trek heritage. Though it probably would have been just as bad had they went along with the trend of DS9 and Voyager and made yet another incredibly anaemic dilution of the series.

~Guest 226319
President Satan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:43 am 

Enterprise has its ups and downs. Some ups are very high, some downs are very low.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 5:25 pm 

I watched seasons 3 and 4 because I heard it got immensely better at that point. It wasn't bad, but I barely remember any of it, aside from uh T'Pol.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:43 pm 

Man, early seasons of X-Files had so many lame episodes.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

Calusari
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 8:25 am 

Necroticism174 wrote:
Man, early seasons of X-Files had so many lame episodes.

Expedience wrote:
Though it probably would have been just as bad had they went along with the trend of DS9 and Voyager and made yet another incredibly anaemic dilution of the series.

Once again, I can only let the emoticons speak for me :o :annoyed: :tongue: :nono: :brick: :getout:

Okay, so the very early seasons of X-Files had a few misses here and there, but come on- what about the brilliant relationships they created, the atmosphere and style they set up? And even the sometimes-badly done 'monster of the week' ones managed to transcend the cliche. But, then again, I'm a tragic fan, so I'm hardly objective... Same goes for DS9 and Voyager. I don't see how they were anaemic dilutions - they continued the intelligence and epic storytelling that made Next Gen such an incredible achievement, showing that the mythology and world-creation of the Star Trek universe isn't just based on an 'adventures in a spaceship 101' template, but really involves an incredibly psychologically acute and philosophically engaged approach that could be successfully carried over to many different scenarios. On the other hand, of course, Enterprise is a big ol' pile of steaming excrement. Just felt I had to say that.

Expedience
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 8:48 am 

I was an avid fan of DS9 for about 4 seasons though I watched the rest casually but gave up on Voyager after two seasons. Okay I admit DS9 was a step above Voyager, but in no way were either of them comparable in quality to TNG. Soap drama aboard a spaceship is what they were, whereas TNG always sought to raise interesting and important scientific and moral questions. Each episode, with the exception of about 5 or 6 episodes in each series, was reduced to the formula of having some vague cosmic phenomenon or alien race threaten the ship, interspersed with a conflict between several members of the crew. Not to mention the characters (except the Doctor and to a lesser extent Neelix) were far too shallow to withstand interest for more than one or two seasons. I mean how many episodes on Tuvok's lack of emotions, Kim's shyness or Torres' temper can you do without repeating yourself? At least DS9 had some progression. Both series needed to take a lesson or two from Babylon 5 - now THAT is how you do a sci-fi series properly.

Calusari
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:21 am 

Oh. You're a Babylon-5 fan. Ahem. We'll just have to agree to disagree... :-P Actually, I just never got into that series, though I've been meaning to for a while.

Granted, Voyager wasn't as good as TNG, but I always thought it was a worthy successor. Of course the characters' general personality types continued throughout the series,that evaluation could be applied to TNG, too - Worf and honour/feelings of inadequacy re his Klingon heritage, Data and his attempts to become more human, Riker and women, Deanna being violated by psychic space things, etc - but that sort of reductive analysis is, in my view, as unfair there as it is in Voyager's case because both series let the characters develop so significantly. They wrestled with their flaws and patterns of behaviour; just comparing the final season of Voyager to the first couple, you can really see significant differences that feel like a viable progression of where these people started out. And, while I agree that TNG's exploration of philosophical issues was unparalleled, I think Voyager did quite well in continuing that tradition. The circumstances in which the crew found themselves alone provided a whole host of problems - does the prime directive have any relevance in such a desperate situation? what is the price of survival? when does one give up hope and settle in, and what right did the captain have to demand that all aboard the ship persist on a seemingly futile journey? which ideals survive when the source of legitimation and authority is so distant that it becomes abstract? what claim do such different species, bound by no common federation, have upon each other? what level of intervention is permissible?, how do people cope with such extreme isolation without developing cabin fever? etc - that were interestingly explored throughout.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:08 pm 

You got your username from one of the episodes of season 2 I presume, Calusari? Yeah, they set things up well, and had a few really good episodes but so many ones like the one where zoo animals are attacking a town. They really hit their stride around season 5.

DeathRiderDoom
Pro Sports Warder

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:51 pm 

I like X-Files and have a few seasons of it, but barely get round to watching it. I got too busy there for a while and for some reason i haven't been watching as much drama/non-comedy type shows over the last few months, bar GOTS02. I need to go through seasons 1 & 2 again before i can make any judgement, but generally i think those early seasons are pretty cohesive and strong.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 1:33 am 

I'm not intensly hating on it by any means, it's still one of my favourite series. They just had so many episodes that, while not being straight up horrible, were kind of puzzling me as to why someoe would think it was a good idea. On another note, I just watched a few episodes of Invader Zim, loved that show when I was a kid. It holds up surprisingly well but goddamnit, there's to much screaming and it gets pretty grating.

Calusari
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 1:59 am 

Necroticism174 wrote:
You got your username from one of the episodes of season 2 I presume, Calusari? Yeah, they set things up well, and had a few really good episodes but so many ones like the one where zoo animals are attacking a town. They really hit their stride around season 5.

Okay, I'll pay that. There is a marked improvement, though I love the atmosphere of the early weirdness they encounter, as well as the series' abiltiy (even then) to abjure easy/pat resolutions - often, they might just get some sort of explanation of what's going on, if that, but it'll never be wholly tied up. Oh, and yes, that's where I got my username... well-spotted!

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 2:18 am 

Nothing escapes me, master of references! I like that about the show too, the episodes are somewhat like short stories in that respect, as opposed to novels, many of them have no true resolution at all. I particularly like how they pulled off the episode that was basically The Thing in season 1.

DeathRiderDoom
Pro Sports Warder

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 2:35 am 

Necroticism174 wrote:
I'm not intensly hating on it by any means, it's still one of my favourite series. They just had so many episodes that, while not being straight up horrible, were kind of puzzling me as to why someoe would think it was a good idea. On another note, I just watched a few episodes of Invader Zim, loved that show when I was a kid. It holds up surprisingly well but goddamnit, there's to much screaming and it gets pretty grating.

Yeah Invader Zim is a show I've had for years, but barely ever touched. Maybe watch one or two episodes a year. I know people i knew were pretty fond of it 6-7 years ago, so i got it off them. Don't often have the urge to watch it, but a few months ago i saw one and it was actually kinda alright. Probably a show worth having in your collection.

Calusari
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 3:06 am 

Yep, that 'Thing' episode was pretty well done. And I'll always give them credit for creating the intensely creepy Eugene Victor Tooms so early on... man, that dude freaked me out when I was a kid.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 3:15 am 

One of my favourite characters too! I was never able to view that actor in the same way after that. It makes the Green Mile slightly different for me :p

MetalCheese
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 5:42 pm 

It's a shame what The Simpsons have done to their legacy the past 15 or so years. I own the first 9 seasons and they still crack me up. There was a fairly long period of time when I would watch The Simpsons every night if I were home alone.

Favorite seasons/episodes/quotes?

I'm also a big King of the Hill fan. If I wasn't watching Simpsons, I was watching KotH. It went way downhill around season 7, though.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:21 pm 

new season of Louie is off to a fantastically awkward and sad start.

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:52 pm 

Just recently finished watching The Blue Planet. Awesome nature series with some pretty fucking incredible camera work. Nature shows kick so much ass when they're this good. And the presence of David Attenborough makes it all that much more intense :thumbsup: Definitely check it out if you're into stuff like Nature and Planet Earth.

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:10 pm 

I love those shows, but they do make other nature shows look a little shitty. :-D And yes, David Attenborough is the man, I haven't seen the versions with him speaking though.... I watched those shows on a dutch channel, and for some reason they decided to dub them over with some third rate dutch celebrity...

Kahalachan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:27 pm 

Expedience wrote:
I was an avid fan of DS9 for about 4 seasons though I watched the rest casually but gave up on Voyager after two seasons. Okay I admit DS9 was a step above Voyager, but in no way were either of them comparable in quality to TNG. Soap drama aboard a spaceship is what they were, whereas TNG always sought to raise interesting and important scientific and moral questions. Each episode, with the exception of about 5 or 6 episodes in each series, was reduced to the formula of having some vague cosmic phenomenon or alien race threaten the ship, interspersed with a conflict between several members of the crew. Not to mention the characters (except the Doctor and to a lesser extent Neelix) were far too shallow to withstand interest for more than one or two seasons. I mean how many episodes on Tuvok's lack of emotions, Kim's shyness or Torres' temper can you do without repeating yourself? At least DS9 had some progression. Both series needed to take a lesson or two from Babylon 5 - now THAT is how you do a sci-fi series properly.

See I don't like overly dramatic shows about uninteresting characters, but DS9 nestled a lot of philosophical ideas within that drama aboard the space station. Not only does it take the "what if" philosophical questions that TNG posed on a personal level, it would also ask those questions with political ramifications.

Voyager is boring garbage though. It had a few good episodes while TNG and DS9 only had a few bad episodes. The amount of insubordination Janeway put up with was laughable. Neelix's stupidity should've gotten him killed ages ago. Same with Tuvok only murdered cause he is so full of himself I can't imagine anyone feeling anything towards him but hate.

I do have Babylon 5 on my Netflix queue but I have yet to watch it. I have 2 seasons of DS9 to finish up still.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 12:16 am 

Under_Starmere wrote:
Just recently finished watching The Blue Planet. Awesome nature series with some pretty fucking incredible camera work. Nature shows kick so much ass when they're this good. And the presence of David Attenborough makes it all that much more intense :thumbsup: Definitely check it out if you're into stuff like Nature and Planet Earth.

David Attenborough :love:

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23 ... 182  Next