Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
volutetheswarth
Our Lady of Perpetual Butthurt

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 12:43 am 

Earthcubed wrote:
It will be weird to see Rick essentially subservient to someone else for what I'm guessing will be at least half a season if not an entire season. Considering Negan is still alive in the comics I'm guessing they won't just make him the Big Bad for 1.2 seasons like they did with the Governor. Might not even be till late season 8 or early 9 that they finally "neuter" him.

Biggest disappointment of Season 6 for me was
Spoiler: show
the total non-story that was The Wolves. They dropped ominous hints about them for the entire second half of season 5 and then they all died in a single episode. They had elaborate traps, they had buildings, they razed entire towns...and their entire team is killed by Carol and Rick? Seriously what the fuck.

That will be interesting but yeah I'd give it half season at most. Fans will be spitting chips if it's any longer and showrunners do actually care what the fans think and cater to them. Daryl and Glenn are the most obvious examples of fans winning.

I'd like to think that's the case with Negan but I think it'll be two seasons at most, also there'll be quite a number of episodes without him/most likely flash back or focusing on boring side characters, because it's three films a year; Jeffrey Dean Morgan.

HellBlazer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 10:20 pm 

Solid and promising premiere for Penny Dreadful, can't wait to see where this goes.

Doctors Frankenstein and Jekyll team-up, what could possibly go wrong? :D

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 10:28 pm 

Wow, new season already? I feel like I just watched the last season. Guess I was pretty late on that. It's a fairly solid show, though there are a few story arcs in it I don't really care about as much, but it's basically like nothing else on TV so that's a pretty big pull.

Coming close to finishing up Star Trek: TNG. I'll probably take a break to watch through some other stuff before jumping into another long Trek series, but I've really, really enjoyed this one.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 3:28 am 

They really need to make GOT have a two hour season premiere. Wouldve been more effective, imo.

TripeOverload
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 9:31 am 

After seeing the second GoT episode...

I knew that Ramsay would eventually find out some way to fuck Roose up, but...
...seriously? They PUSSIFIED Roose, the OG-est of the Ogees! Getting stabbed by your asshole son while hugging him?! That's no death for Roose!
Eager to see what Euron Crow's Eye is up to.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 1:44 pm 

HellBlazer wrote:
Solid and promising premiere for Penny Dreadful, can't wait to see where this goes.

Doctors Frankenstein and Jekyll team-up, what could possibly go wrong? :D

I felt that
the final "I am Dracula" line was a bit too over-the-top and unnecessary. We all knew who he was the moment all those other lower vampires slid away, and it was clinched when Renfield said his name, so come on guys, stop thinking we're dumb. :lol:

Still, a promising start! I am now rooting for Vanessa's happiness and I look forward to her "therapy" sessions. Man, I never thought I'd say this but therapy sessions sure can make for exciting TV. That doctor was badass. :D

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 1:52 pm 

TripeOverload wrote:

...seriously? They PUSSIFIED Roose, the OG-est of the Ogees! Getting stabbed by your asshole son while hugging him?! That's no death for Roose!

It's a callback to what he did to Robb, almost the exact same scenario.

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 9:31 am 

Good news about Penny Dreadful. Apart from the Frankenstein/Clare arc, I really like that show.

Daredevil, however, is going terribly. I'm only a couple episodes in, and I'm not sure I'm gonna make it. After watching this and Arrow, a phrase I'm officially sick of hearing is "this city."

What did I say about my fears of an emotive Frank Castle? Very no.

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 3:31 pm 

I loved Daredevil season one and two, so glad they went with the direction they are going in. It's too bad you didn't enjoy it as much as mostly everyone else who watched it. I am so glad Frank Castle is emotive and not some stone-faced robot.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 3:48 pm 

I thought Daredevil season 1 was fucking awesome. Season 2 had some problems, mostly just how much plot they tried to cram in - I think they could've used more episodes actually. But it was worthwhile to watch and I appreciated the ultraviolent action and the ambitious scope - even if they didn't quite pull it off, it was admirable. Looking forward to season 3.

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 3:49 pm 

I'm excited to see what this Punisher series is going to be like. What was on that CD at the end of Daredevil S2? Can't wait to find out!

metroplex
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 4:00 pm 

I haven't laughed this hard after watching the latest 'Silicon Valley' episode.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 5:29 pm 

That last scene killed me.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 5:46 pm 

Penny Dreadful....

I predicted (posted about it on another forum) that the museum zoologist would be Dracula, since he fit the charismatic, eloquent seductor trope so well, but at the same time I was hoping he wouldn't be. Not just because it's predictable but because I just really wanted Vanessa to make a real friend and be happy, for once. :(

Still, well, it's Brian Moser, of course he's gonna be a creepy villain haha.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 8:17 am 

Holy shit, I didn't notice who that is until you mentioned it. :lol: Yeah, it's a bit disappointing in a way, he seemed like he would've been a cool character on his own too.

MyrVarg
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 9:38 am 

rexxz wrote:
TripeOverload wrote:

It's a callback to what he did to Robb, almost the exact same scenario.

I loved it. I have no idea how Ramsay is going to do as the new Warden of the North. He's so psychotic and has little experience as a leader so we'll see. I have a bad feeling the Umbers only gave him Rickon and Osha as some sort of plan to infiltrate Winterfell seeing as the Umbers are loyal Stark bannermen. OR they just betrayed the Starks because why the fuck not? In that case Rickon is about to become REEKon.

Last edited by Azmodes on Thu May 12, 2016 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spoiler added...

volutetheswarth

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 9:54 am 

^That's a nice spoiler there, congrats asshat.

By the way I personally already knew but that was directed for and by the people who didn't.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 10:05 pm 

Jeez, thanks Az.

Now that I'm finished all of TNG (which was amazing, btw) I've been working my way through all of the Mitchell and Webb sketch show stuff. It's mostly pretty good, though sometimes they choose recurring sketches that I just don't think really deserved to come back more than once. The Adventures of Sir Digby Chicken Caesar is mostly not that funny, same with Numberwang. Well I mean, they were funny once, but I dunno how I feel about them recurring as often as they do.

After that I'll watch the TNG cast Trek movies before catching up on Better Call Saul and Vikings before jumping into DS9.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 10:14 pm 

You're right that Mitchell and Webb aren't always great, but when they're great, they're FUCKING GREAT, BY VECTRON'S KINDLY CLAW!

Sort of a "greatest hits" type sketch comedy show. A lot of them are. As great as they were, Kids in the Hall had some recurring sketches too that I just couldn't stand, like the chicken lady. Ugh, so awful, and she came back like 50 times.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 11:17 pm 

I think the Snooker sketches were the only recurring ones I didn't like pretty much across the board.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 11:20 pm 

Haha yeah, that Hit and Miss sketch was great stuff. I kind of like the snooker ones. They're not belly-laughs or anything but just kind of endearing I guess.

aloof
avant-gardener

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 10:16 pm 

I binge-watched season 1 of The Girlfriend Experience. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3846642/ not what I expected at all, but really good. Riley Keough is an unbelievable actress. the last episode is the weirdest thing I've seen in a long, long time...

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 1:43 am 

Hmm, dunno if I should post this here or the movie thread, but I'll post it here.

Since finishing all of the magnificent Star Trek: TNG, I also watched the four TNG-cast movies. Honestly I was kind of disappointed with how undisappointing they were. The first was alright, kind of felt like a long episode of the show, and really highlighted to me how much better Picard is than Kirk as a standalone character. Kirk's just not really that interesting without acting as the force of moderation between Bones and Spock, and his womanizing and swashbuckling are less compelling when he's old as shit. First Contact I thought was actually pretty damn good, easily the best of these and probably in my top 3 or 4 Trek films. The third one was pretty forgettable but not bad overall, basically like another long episode of the show. I was hoping for an absolute shitshow for Nemesis but I didn't really get it. While the plot itself was stupid as fuck* I couldn't help but like some of the acting performances enough to get some enjoyment out of it. Ron Perlman was underutilized but Tom Hardy was pretty solid I thought. I was also hoping the effects would feel more Sci-Fi Original Movie than they did so it was merely bad and not "hahahaha Battlefield Earth!" bad.

Who the fuck are these Remans out of nowhere? And seriously, to make a Federation super secret agent they would clone one of the most famous, recognizable figures in the entire Federation? I mean I know the Romulans are famous for being less logical than the Vulcans but that's the dumbest goddamn thing I've ever heard of. This plot was easily the weakest of any Trek movie and the nu-Trek stuff easily shits all over this idiocy. At least they finally got Riker and Troi hitched. One of those things the fans always wanted but would've absolutely fucked up the show had it happened during TNG itself. Also why the shit would you kill off Data? Pointless.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 2:55 am 

Yeah First Contact is good. For a "movie that's basically a long episode" I think Insurrection is pretty good.

I'm in season 2 of DS9, been skipping the Ferengi and some other lame episodes, pretty good when I'm only watching the quality episodes!
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 12:29 pm 

Finally finished Season 5 of Louie. What a great show. I hope he makes more - I had forgotten exactly how funny, creative and original this whole series was.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 6:42 pm 

Oh, speaking of Trek, the first teaser for the new series is out which APPARENTLY also reveals when the series will be set:

And yeah, First Contact was by far the best of the TNG movies, even if about 90% of the dialog is cringe-inducing, "THE REPORTS OF MY ASSIMILATION HAVE BEEN GREATLY EXAGGERATED."
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

Trashy_Rambo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 5:27 pm 

Nahsil wrote:
I'm in season 2 of DS9, been skipping the Ferengi and some other lame episodes, pretty good when I'm only watching the quality episodes!

Those Ferengi episodes are indeed crap, mostly. DS9 is very hit or miss, but the high points are fantastic.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 5:34 pm 

I'm also gonna skip the fuck out of those cringe-y Kira/Odo romance episodes. Emo Odo is ugh.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 5:39 pm 

Fuck you guys, Quark is the best! I bet you guys don't even know all the Rules of Acquisition. SHAME!

@Game of Thrones, s06e05

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 5:44 pm 

I like Quark but the Grand Nagus and Rom and Nog and pretty much all other Ferengi can stick the Rules of Acquisition up their lil rodent asses.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 5:45 pm 

Nahsil wrote:
I'm also gonna skip the fuck out of those cringe-y Kira/Odo romance episodes. Emo Odo is ugh.

There's what, like two of those in the whole 7 seasons?

Also, the Ferengi rule, I laugh my ass off every time, and annoy the fuck out of my girlfriend with my Grand Nagus impersonation. Sure they're silly but there's what, one or two per 26-episode season? Y'all are like princesses and peas with that shit. Every "romance" episode and every "Ferengi" episode combined is maybe, MAYBE 20 episodes total, out of nearly 200. Compare that to season 1 and 2 of TNG, which are about 75% crap, and it's not even close. Or how about the 50% of TOS episodes that are shit? And let's not even compare it to Voyager.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 5:48 pm 

Moogi is the best female characters of the entire series!

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 6:13 pm 

failsafeman wrote:
Nahsil wrote:

There's what, like two of those in the whole 7 seasons?

Also, the Ferengi rule, I laugh my ass off every time, and annoy the fuck out of my girlfriend with my Grand Nagus impersonation. Sure they're silly but there's what, one or two per 26-episode season? Y'all are like princesses and peas with that shit. Every "romance" episode and every "Ferengi" episode combined is maybe, MAYBE 20 episodes total, out of nearly 200. Compare that to season 1 and 2 of TNG, which are about 75% crap, and it's not even close. Or how about the 50% of TOS episodes that are shit? And let's not even compare it to Voyager.

I don't remember how many there are and I don't think it's that big a deal cuz I'll be skippin em ;)

volutetheswarth

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 12:00 am 

darkeningday wrote:
Oh, speaking of Trek, the first teaser for the new series is out which APPARENTLY also reveals when the series will be set:

Is it really just called "Star Trek"? I hate modern film/tv show titles, I really do.

After much deliberation I hear the Blade Runner sequel is called Blade Runner.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 1:11 am 

failsafeman wrote:
Also, the Ferengi rule, I laugh my ass off every time

Yeah, but you also thought Rygel XVI's helium excretions were funny. Although The Magnificent Ferengi was probably the best comedy episode in all of Star Trek, for whatever that's worth.
Quote:
And let's not even compare it to Voyager.

Voyager's first season was actually pretty decent though, probably the best first season of a Trek show besides Enterprise. Season 2 and 3 were rough, but Bryan Fuller and Michael Taylor joined at the start of Season 4 and it was pretty smooth sailing from that point on.

As bad as some Voyager episodes were, at least there wasn't an entire 46-minute episode near the apex of a devastating interstellar war where the main cast go to the holodeck to play fucking baseball against some vulcans.

Or sing Kum Ba Yah with a Sinatra impersonator on every other episode including the series finale.

Or introduce an entirely new character and desperately try to make you care about her by giving her a bunch of lame "drama" episodes during what's supposed to be the climax of a massive war.

When DS9 was good it was great (section 31? inner-workings of the dominion/cardassian alliance? anything Kira?) but there was just too much bad to make it worth going through again for me, and not nearly enough nostalgia. Same goes for Babylon 5.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 1:37 am 

I'm cross-checking these guides to figure out which episodes to watch:

http://www.puffin.net/projects/geek/ds9.htm

http://www.geek.com/news/star-trek-deep ... k-1613741/

https://www.reddit.com/r/DaystromInstit ... nguide_ds9

as well as imdb scores of episodes occasionally. It's been working pretty well so far. I remember good/bad eps too sometimes, that helps.

Dungeon_Vic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 1:21 pm 

New Game of Thrones was great. First time though that I REALLY felt that we've now gone past the books. I had already made my mind of continuing with the show and not wait for Martin (and I am glad I did) but yesterday it hit home that the (future) books are effectively ruined.

Also, I think I just saw the best episode of Penny Dreadful so far. Always liked the show but yesterday's was like on a whole other level. The minimal nature of it helped a lot too.

Vic's Dungeon - Remember the Fallen:
Jeff Hanneman: Evil Notes and Sad Riffs
Chuck Schuldiner (Death)
Paul Baloff (Exodus)
Holy Terror and Keith Deen
Roger Patterson (Atheist)

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 9:51 pm 

Oh, Trek question: is there any reason to alternate seasons/episodes of DS9 and Voyager, or can I safely just watch all of DS9 first then switch over?

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 9:55 pm 

iamntbatman wrote:
Oh, Trek question: is there any reason to alternate seasons/episodes of DS9 and Voyager, or can I safely just watch all of DS9 first then switch over?

Definitely the latter, Voyager takes place in an entirely different quadrant.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 10:08 pm 

Alright, cool. I did that hopping back and forth when I watched Buffy and Angel and while the interplay between the two series was interesting, it was also kind of tedious to play episodes in order.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103 ... 182  Next