Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 1:30 am 

I definitely gave up on Dexter after the Lithgow season.
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

volutetheswarth
Our Lady of Perpetual Butthurt

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 2:22 am 

Season 4 was easily the best season of Dexter, John Lithgow delivered in droves. Although I wished they had ended on a traumatic note and not continued, I think season 5 had the right new addition with Lumen and only the nonsensical ending let it down from being something incredible. Most complaints I've heard about Lumen stem from quite shallow judgements, it's as if people were eager and willing to find fault with it. Haven't really cared what came before or since but Dexter and Doakes cat and mouse game had it's moments, especially the office fight. I just feel there was alot of wasted potential with the last season, from the mediocre love interest to the anti-climatic villain to the almost stagnant character development, but of course that's petty squabbles compared to the ridiculous season before that, where only the kills and crime scenes were a highlight.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 2:27 am 

Honestly I think what they needed to do with that series was change the setting. That may seem radical, but things just started to get repetitive after that, and the endless supply of serial killers in Miami just starts to seem absurd. My idea was that Lundy, having seen how good Dexter was at the bloodspatter analysis thing in S2, could specifically request his help on some other case that has him stumped in a vastly different part of the country - the midwest, Alaska, Maine, somewhere that's the polar (ha ha) opposite of Miami. Dexter could bring along a couple of the more popular supporting characters like Masuka, and all of a sudden he has to deal with an entirely new set of circumstances. Probably at first it would just appear to be a brief assignment, then something happens to make Dexter stay longer - a supporting character gets killed, Lundy uses his FBI clout to force Dexter to stay on the case, the serial killer turns out to be way more dangerous than he initially seemed - and all of a sudden Dexter not only has to deal with the main antagonist, he has to deal with his killing urges starting to ramp up while he's away from home, without the nice little system he has in Miami.

Part of the main problem I had in season 4 is that Dexter almost never seems to be out of his comfort zone; Lithgow plays a fantastic character, but he just never seems to be that much of a threat to Dexter. Dexter has the upper hand 99% of the time, as opposed to season 2, when he was on the verge of being caught in nearly every single episode. Anyway it didn't turn totally shitty and I don't HATE new Dexter, I just thought the first two seasons were really transcendent television and it's a shame that they lost that spark.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 4:16 am 

Nahsil wrote:
I'm starting to like Defiance. It's got a Firefly vibe to it, and the characters and writing seem to be improving a bit.

I stopped after episode 2 but went back to it tonight. The 3rd episode was really good, I'll continue. And haha, there's a Quebecois song at the start of ep. 4, pretty funny. I like the characters and the setting, they simply need to keep things interesting, I always liked Stargate even though some episodes were pretty slow/boring, I guess this has to do with the budget of these shows. Not cheap to do a Sci Fi series.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 8:22 am 

failsafeman wrote:
Honestly I think what they needed to do with that series was change the setting. That may seem radical, but things just started to get repetitive after that, and the endless supply of serial killers in Miami just starts to seem absurd. My idea was that Lundy, having seen how good Dexter was at the bloodspatter analysis thing in S2, could specifically request his help on some other case that has him stumped in a vastly different part of the country - the midwest, Alaska, Maine, somewhere that's the polar (ha ha) opposite of Miami. Dexter could bring along a couple of the more popular supporting characters like Masuka, and all of a sudden he has to deal with an entirely new set of circumstances. Probably at first it would just appear to be a brief assignment, then something happens to make Dexter stay longer - a supporting character gets killed, Lundy uses his FBI clout to force Dexter to stay on the case, the serial killer turns out to be way more dangerous than he initially seemed - and all of a sudden Dexter not only has to deal with the main antagonist, he has to deal with his killing urges starting to ramp up while he's away from home, without the nice little system he has in Miami.

That really would be cool. The books are a little more outside the usual formula, but then, they're not as good either, at creating drama and whatnot. They're more comedically oriented, and usually just get a bit weird.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 12:57 pm 

Season 8 will be the last Dexter. Good riddance, S5 was average, and the other two after were just awful. Let's hope they at least finish on a powerful note.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 11:50 pm 

Metantoine wrote:
Nahsil wrote:
I'm starting to like Defiance. It's got a Firefly vibe to it, and the characters and writing seem to be improving a bit.

I stopped after episode 2 but went back to it tonight. The 3rd episode was really good, I'll continue. And haha, there's a Quebecois song at the start of ep. 4, pretty funny. I like the characters and the setting, they simply need to keep things interesting, I always liked Stargate even though some episodes were pretty slow/boring, I guess this has to do with the budget of these shows. Not cheap to do a Sci Fi series.

Yeah, I've seen all of Stargate minus the lame last seasons of SG-1 with the Farscape guy. I enjoy it.

volutetheswarth

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 2:37 am 

So I gave SG-1 a thorough shot and I just don't see the appeal, I keep hoping for a really good episode but all I get are tired and predictable history lessons, the humour that's there is not funny (tissues?!) and there's no suspense. On top of that, the soundtrack sounds far too light-hearted and goofy, like a 90's Disney TV show. It's amazing to behold the dip in quality after the pilot, it's turns from okay to complete garbage, such squandered potential to explore and be creative. Then I skipped to season 4 (which is regarded as the best season), mechanical spiders and unintentionally funny looking aliens, yep, I think I'll be investing my time elsewhere.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 8:16 am 

Stargate has always been "the poor man's Star Trek" (except for Universe, which is the poor man's BSG), so I'd strongly suggest exhausting all of those before you start watching its rip-off. FWIW, I found the first season of Stargate: Atlantis to be way, way better than anything on SG-1, but it got pretty shitty once its second season started up (at which point I gave it up for good).
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 8:37 pm 

That's so true about Atlantis. The characters were way better and I found the whole series to be pretty ok (been a while though so my opinion could be different) and I liked where Universe were going before THEY CANCELLED IT FUCK!

Right now: Adventure Time season 5 marathon as it's almost finished!

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 1:40 am 

darkeningday wrote:
Stargate has always been "the poor man's Star Trek" (except for Universe, which is the poor man's BSG), so I'd strongly suggest exhausting all of those before you start watching its rip-off. FWIW, I found the first season of Stargate: Atlantis to be way, way better than anything on SG-1, but it got pretty shitty once its second season started up (at which point I gave it up for good).

I can't disagree. It's nowhere near the same level of quality as ST or BSG, but it was a lot of fun back when I watched it. I have a hard time judging between SG-1 and Atlantis because I watched Atlantis first and SG-1 is longer so I experienced more of SG-1 and also more recently. I think overall I liked SG-1 better, but those factors make it difficult to really decide.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 3:52 am 

You still need to check out the first two seasons of Enterprise! I'm re-watching it on Blu right now. While there are a decent number of stinkers throughout... (intergalatic space pollen causes the away team to trip balls? was there a hemorrhage in the writing room, or was this one of those unproduced Animated Series scripts that accidentally made its way to the top of the pile?) it's still way better than most sci-fi TV, at least of the Space Opera variety. Plus, there are some really damn good eps that could sit right cozy with the very best of TNG, imo. It's also ridiculously expensive looking, especially when compared to non-BSG "Sy-Fy Original" TV, even of today.

Worth a shot if you're still sci-fi starved.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 5:34 am 

thanks for reminding me, I'm gonna go get that right now. Never enough scifi.

SleightOfVickonomy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 7:29 am 

So as it turns out we have a lot of comedy shows these days that have a gay character and gay sex and relationships are freely talked about as opposed to just hinted at.
I checked out The New Normal which was created by the American Horror Story/NipTuck exec but it seemed as just another Modern Family rip off whose only truly funny moments were supplied by the gay couple anyway before they too became old.
The New Normal however has a lot going for it, you have Ellen Barkin as a bigoted figure who never keeps her opinions to herself and although the gay couple who are the central characters are not really that capturing, the writing is really good.

Another one is Happy Endings whose first season I just finished. I like how the gay guy in there, Max is not the stereotypical flamboyant homosexual most shows exhibit but a rather slouchy lazy ass dude who cares more about food than clothes. The whole show is much more genuinely funny than a lot of the tired big network sitcoms and although it comes off as samey and formulaic in some places, it still comes off edgier. One to keep watching.

HUMANBEANSv2
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:06 pm 

HAPPY ENDINGS...canceled

Aurone
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:34 am 

Matt Smith will be ending his run as the Doctor this Christmas.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/doctorwho/ar ... Doctor-Who

ChineseDownhill
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:43 am 

I'm yet another Dexter viewer who's relieved the show is ending. I didn't hate seasons 5 and 6 with the intensity that some people did, but I have to admit the show has clearly lost something since season 4.

HUMANBEANSv2 wrote:
HAPPY ENDINGS...canceled

Is that the one where Jennifer Love Hewitt works at a 'massage parlor' that gives handjobs?

Wait, my mistake. That one's called The Client List.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:43 pm 

So I finished the new season of Arrested Development. It was okay. Some characters have good moments, but the Buster centric one towards the end is the only one that really made me laugh. Some characters notably suck through the whole thing, like George Michael and especially Lindsey (who dragged down every scene she was in). Overall a few funny, witty, and well written scenes, but it constantly recaps things we've just scene and doesn't even build up to a satisfying finale. I think the series should have stayed dead.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

MARSDUDE
Shitposter

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:18 pm 

The adaptation of Stephen King's Under The Dome starts soon. Can't wait for that one. Dean Norris (from Breaking Bad) is in it, which is awesome.

VirginSteele_Helstar
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:26 pm 

SleightOfVickonomy wrote:
So as it turns out we have a lot of comedy shows these days that have a gay character and gay sex and relationships are freely talked about as opposed to just hinted at.
I checked out The New Normal which was created by the American Horror Story/NipTuck exec but it seemed as just another Modern Family rip off whose only truly funny moments were supplied by the gay couple anyway before they too became old.
The New Normal however has a lot going for it, you have Ellen Barkin as a bigoted figure who never keeps her opinions to herself and although the gay couple who are the central characters are not really that capturing, the writing is really good.

Another one is Happy Endings whose first season I just finished. I like how the gay guy in there, Max is not the stereotypical flamboyant homosexual most shows exhibit but a rather slouchy lazy ass dude who cares more about food than clothes. The whole show is much more genuinely funny than a lot of the tired big network sitcoms and although it comes off as samey and formulaic in some places, it still comes off edgier. One to keep watching.

The homosexual thing was done ages ago with Will & Grace, remember?
Modern Family is excruciatingly campy but the gay couple really was hilarious. Was. Not anymore.
Happy Endings was good the first two seasons but I'm yet to watch season 3. Shame if it was canceled.

"...unto the end I shall lead all into my darkness..."
-James Rivera

LegendMaker wrote:
Most of the very early metal songs that weren't by Sabbath were by Purple. Fucking deal with it.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:45 am 

Haha, Orphan Black fans check this out, pretty awesome (contains some minor spoilers):

Spoiler: show
Image Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image

Helena as Sarah as Elizabeth just killed me :lol:

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

motherconfessor
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 5:36 am 

So I finally checked out the Following (for james purefoy, honestly. I shamelessly enjoyed ironclad and solomon kane for what they were. I still believe Rome to be his finest hour as the character of Antony suited his acting style so well, everything after has seemed gimmicky yet entertaining).

I really liked The Following from the beginning. Personally I am very interested in serial killers so I thought this was a pretty cool concept as a show, especially the "cult" or "following" aspect. I'm on episode 6 or 7 and I'm just losing interest. I really wanted to like this but I just don't for so many reasons. The plot itself is getting ridiculous and unbelievable, I can only handle so much Kevin Bacon (though to his credit he is the only man of action int he show who gets shit done), James Purefoy as a serial killer just isn't that believable, and the "followers" aren't represented very well. The representation of the mental health of the followers is weak. I just feel like the writers of the show have no idea what a sociopath really is in general, and they are just making the characters do what they THINK sociopaths would do. I don't know, it's just disappointing, I really wouldn't recommend it to anybody who values their time and want to spend it on worthwhile ventures. I am not working right now and my husband is bringing home the bacon (oh god, did I just say that), so I'm not that torn up about how bad the show is. It passed some time. I'm still not sure if I will go on to finish it, we'll see.

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:06 am 

Hehe. Orphan Black is rad. It's going to be dumb if Tatiana Maslany doesn't win some sort of award.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 2:51 am 

Continuum is off to a great start with that pilot episode. About the same level of sophisticated acting/storytelling as Orphan Black, but more scifi so far (though still not full-blown).

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 3:06 am 

Continuum slowly shifts from a fun time-travel sci-fi show (albeit paradox time-travel rather than the more fun and less problematic multiple universes time-travel) into a CSI cop procedural with minor, superficial sci-fi elements, fairly comparable to Fringe. I lost interest after four episodes; if you get further than that, do let me know if it gets better.

But I'd say Tatiana Maslany is leagues ahead of Rachel Nichols, acting-wise (although admittedly, Maslany is given tons more room to spread her wings.)

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 3:14 am 

darkeningday wrote:
a CSI cop procedural with minor, superficial sci-fi elements, fairly comparable to Fringe

:ugh:

I hope you're wrong :P or that it does pick up again, if you're right.

volutetheswarth

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 4:15 am 

darkeningday wrote:
Continuum slowly shifts from a fun time-travel sci-fi show (albeit paradox time-travel rather than the more fun and less problematic multiple universes time-travel) into a CSI cop procedural with minor, superficial sci-fi elements, fairly comparable to Fringe. I lost interest after four episodes; if you get further than that, do let me know if it gets better.

But I'd say Tatiana Maslany is leagues ahead of Rachel Nichols, acting-wise (although admittedly, Maslany is given tons more room to spread her wings.)

Continuum is so dull and meandering after the pilot. I think I wrote a lengthy diatribe somewhere about how silly it became. The episode when those future gangsters break into a biker pad by doing matrix moves was about where I stopped watching.

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:31 am 

Just started in on Vikings tonight. It's pretty neat. Fun historical fiction stuff with nice production design, a cool look at that particular historical/cultural milieu. Quite decent acting and directing, and the writing isn't too bad either. Can't be certain of the factual accuracy on all points, of course, but it's quite cool so far.
Weirdly, Gabriel Byrne is the worst thing about it, which is the opposite of what I expected.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 3:53 am 

yeah, weird, right?

Byrne is a fine actor and has done a lot of good stuff, but his placement in Vikings just seems off. It doesn't suit his acting talents.

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:02 am 

Yeah. On top of which he doesn't exactly look the part, either. It's just...weird. Not sure how he even got cast for the role.

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:06 am 

Saw the season finale of Da Vinci's Demons. Damn, they really leave you waiting for what's about to come. Great show, albeit short for a season (only 8 episodes). Good thing is they're working on the 2nd one!

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:38 am 

Orphan Black Episode 8

OH COME ON, KIRA HIT BY A CAR? That's 1) cruel and 2) a silly plot device. Remember when they did that shit in Homeland?

HellBlazer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:55 am 

Nahsil wrote:
Orphan Black Episode 8

OH COME ON, KIRA HIT BY A CAR? That's 1) cruel and 2) a silly plot device. Remember when they did that shit in Homeland?

It feels cheap but it serves a purpose in the next episode.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:33 am 

I'm finishing Orphan Black's season and it's very cool to see Evelyne Brochu (a Québécoise actress) in it even though her English is way too good for a French character haha (I stole that from Morrigan, but that's so true). The acting in this show is very strong and not only because of Tatiana Maslaney who really deserves an Emmy nomination.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 1:18 am 

Here's Tatiana accepting an award, and it's pretty hilarious to see all the ? over everyone's head wondering who the hell she is. :D

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 1:22 am 

She definitely made a name for herself! As sexy as talented!

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 4:06 pm 

She won out over Mad Men and The Americans? Both of those other actresses are quite good! Impressive.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 5:56 pm 

I think the biggest surprise was beating Claire Danes, honestly. Danes is one of the best actresses on TV right now, so that's impressive.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 6:35 pm 

Recently watched the first two episodes of the...shall we say "experimental" series Black Mirror, and so far am quite impressed. Totally outside-the-box, thought-provoking mindfuck satire/social commentary that does all kinds of things right and can't really be compared to anything else. Glad to know this has already won some prestigious awards, because so far it seems to definitely deserve it. Really refreshing and bizarre shit, brilliant really. darkeningdayz wet dreammzzz!!!1!!1

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 6:36 pm 

^Yeah, I've been mentioning it since it first aired.

Charlie Brooker <3

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41 ... 182  Next