Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
MARSDUDE
Shitposter

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 3:40 pm 

Rewatching Beast Wars on DVD. Fuck yeah. Every moment I watch, I seem to have a big dopey grin on my face.

Well, I’m glad to see you for who you really are.

waiguoren
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 6:14 pm 

John_Sunlight wrote:
Decided to watch all the trekisodes. I shall keep you all updated. So far:

"The Cage", a fine pilot. Excellent story with multiple twists and a satisfying twist ending. A nice character arc for Pike. The funniest part was when the alien was telling Pike about how his women crewmen secretly pined for him. If I was a producer and shown this, I'd produce a show based on this.

1 race of god-like aliens
1 sexy green babe

"The Man Trap", now with the real cast. A good ep, tho it wouldn't be my pick for first ep to show someone. From the beginning, we can see the Trek trend of spilling the mystery beans right from the beginning. It's pretty obvious the wife is up to no good. More about the characters realizing it, tho, and Bones overcoming his emotions. It's interesting how emotional Spock is early on. Guess they hadn't hammered out his character yet.

4 redshirt deaths
1 monstrous alien
1 "He's dead, Jim."

I like that Operation Annihilate! episode from season one because those creatures on the planet made me think of pizza as a kid. Also that's the ep where it's revealed that Vulcans have an inner eyelid, essential knowledge to have when participating in a Trek Quiz Night I'll tell you that.

volutetheswarth
Our Lady of Perpetual Butthurt

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:37 pm 

I'm curious to check out The Crazy Ones in the wake of Robin Williams' death. Is it really as bad as everyone says?

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:45 pm 

I really liked the show and thought it was pretty damed funny. The cast really jelled well with each other and they had a nice underlying plot and good character development going on (you know sitcom wise). Plus they always had a celebrity guest for the episodes which was fun.

Azmodes wrote:
It combines two of my favourite things: penis innuendo and derigin.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 2:02 pm 

Finished the first season of Orange Is the New Black. Seriously, this show has some of the best, most subtle/genuine interplay between drama and comedy I've ever seen. Brilliant writing.

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 3:22 pm 

Crazy Eyes is the best.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 5:44 pm 

That show is easily one of my new favorites. Love almost everything about it.

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 10:00 pm 

Trailer for the next season of Vikings - luks gud

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 3:50 pm 

Hurry up, 2015!

RepulsiveVenom
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 5:52 pm 

I just finished watching Breaking Bad.. The finale was sorely disappointing and predictable. It exceeded my expectations for a television show, but it is nowhere near as good as people praise it to be.

Adriankat
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 3:49 pm 

FXX is doing a Simpsons marathon right now. On season 3 (1992) atm. It's bringing back so many good memories.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:21 pm 

Started watching Fargo. Am amazed. It's almost as good as Hannibal! And I'd say it's even better than the movie. Billie Bob Thornton really shines, as he tends to, but even Martin Freeman is given a lot to work with here. Which is really refreshing. I've always found him to lack personality and play very similar characters. Kind of like a slightly less awkward, british Michael Cera. So to see him play a Jerry Lundergaard type, all shifty-eyed terrible at lying, repressed, and poor self-control (not to mention that Minnesota accent, ey) is just a joy.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:33 pm 

Fargo is so much better than Hannibal, lol. Could barely watch Hannibal.
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

Napero
GedankenPanzer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:36 pm 

The 12th Doctor will premiere on telly here on Sunday. The kids are really enthusiastic. Going to be a good day!

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:37 pm 

Nahsil wrote:
Fargo is so much better than Hannibal, lol. Could barely watch Hannibal.

I know you can be straight with me on this - was Hannibal just another cop/serial killer show with the Hannibal Lector tie in? Cause I really just can't find any reason to give a shit about Hannibal as a character in 2014 and I usually don't care at all about "oh, look what happened to make him how he is" flashback stories. Rather just rewatch Silence of the Lambs and Manhunter...but I dunno, I have seen some positive shit about Hannibal. I keep forgetting to try it out!

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:44 pm 

I only watched 3-4 episodes, but it seemed that way to me. Procedural cop stuff, tried to be dark and psychological but it felt a little contrived and generic to me. Some people do like it though, yeah. I am a fan of the Hannibal Lecter movies, for what that's worth.

volutetheswarth
Our Lady of Perpetual Butthurt

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:44 pm 

Fargo starts out very promising but quickly turns to shit around episode 4. Hint; characters don't progress like in the first two episodes, awkward quirkiness is in vast abundance. I mostly attribute this to a terrible writer but it's a significant dint. Some other poster said it gets better towards the end so I'll stick it out for this season at least.

Empyreal wrote:
Nahsil wrote:
I really just can't find any reason to give a shit about Hannibal as a character in 2014 and I usually don't care at all about "oh, look what happened to make him how he is" flashback stories. Rather just rewatch Silence of the Lambs and Manhunter...but I dunno, I have seen some positive shit about Hannibal. I keep forgetting to try it out!

Your latter point of re-watching those movies is correct, I'd even say watch and re-watch the Hannibal movie if you desperately need more Hannibal Lector. Or you could save your brain and read the books.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:47 pm 

Haha, as if the books are vastly more intellectual than the movies or something?

Finished up Lost S3 and am now partway through S4. I LOVE YOU PEHNNEH!

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 12:19 am 

Hahah, I just started season 3 of Lost. I'm not entirely sure how to feel about the series. It feels very emotionally manipulative, cheap tricks at times, very rollercoastery. Pretty enjoyable though.

Napero
GedankenPanzer

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 2:41 pm 

Just saw the first 12th Doctor episode, with Capaldi in it. Not bad, but still slightly awkward and confused, as the first episodes of new doctors tend to be, with the exception of Matt Smith.

Clara is still easily the least interesting companion of the rejuvenated series. What a boring person...

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 3:14 pm 

I recently jumped on the Doctor Who band wagon. I'm currently trying to get through classic DW and all the current incarnation of DW simultaneously. The wife doesn't want to watch the classic ones but I feel like I'll be missing out if I don't watch them. I'm always confused though because Netflix only has like half of the classic episodes so there's never any explanation as to why there's a new doctor or companion.

Azmodes wrote:

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 4:10 pm 

Napero wrote:
Just saw the first 12th Doctor episode, with Capaldi in it. Not bad, but still slightly awkward and confused, as the first episodes of new doctors tend to be, with the exception of Matt Smith.

Clara is still easily the least interesting companion of the rejuvenated series. What a boring person...

Clara is a beautiful as she's boring, she's very very very cute. The episode wasn't bad but eh, can't wait for the series to change its companion. Capaldi is indeed awesome though!

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Napero
GedankenPanzer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 4:22 pm 

Erosion of Humanity wrote:
I recently jumped on the Doctor Who band wagon. I'm currently trying to get through classic DW and all the current incarnation of DW simultaneously. The wife doesn't want to watch the classic ones but I feel like I'll be missing out if I don't watch them. I'm always confused though because Netflix only has like half of the classic episodes so there's never any explanation as to why there's a new doctor or companion.

Well, if you're watching the really old episodes, one possible explanation for early continuity oddities is this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doctor_Who ... g_episodes

We have at least one DVD serial of every Doctor, save the 8th, who only did that one movie. The changes in companions is really weird, if you can't see all the stuff linearly. I've yet to see a single instance of a companion switch, after a dozen old Doctor serials, and yet, there seems to be a bazillion of them in the history. It might of course be that the most favourite episodes are ones with static casts, and thus end up on DVD in preference to other serials.

Metantoine wrote:
Clara is a beautiful as she's boring, she's very very very cute. The episode wasn't bad but eh, can't wait for the series to change its companion. Capaldi is indeed awesome though!

Capaldi seems quite a nice choice, and the way they built in the "The Fires of Pompeii" reference (and possibly Torchwood as well) to the story was nice, and might give a nice story line during the season.

Clara is still utterly boring. She is visually OK, but after the previous bunch of companions, that's pretty much it, and to be honest, the cuteness is of the "stock beauty" kind, as well. Dull. She needs a njump start to a whole new direction or a kick out of the series soon.

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:39 pm 

I knew about the missing episodes which really sucks but there isn't anything to be done about it other than be confused and grumpy so thatse what I'll do.

Azmodes wrote:

Scorntyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:00 am 

The wife doesn't want to watch the classic ones

Why on earth not? I try and pretend the new version does not exist because I hate they way they ran with it (aiming at young girls for a start), but the old stuff is awesome.

Actually, on reflection, I just hit the back button and noticed you're American. Maybe part of the appeal is that for anyone over 30-odd in the UK/Australia/New Zealand it's like re-watchng your childhood as it was always on TV growing up.

"My intentions were not to fascinate the world with my personality."

Rompestromper
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:08 am 

I watched the two seasons of Orphan Black which was slightly difficult to get in to but after the second episode actually it was really a nice series. The British-American ones are having quite some good shows, did not know about BBC America before.

Also made the mistake to kinda accidentally watch The Bridge (US) which was really shit when you have seen the real one (Broen/Brun), after not too long I stopped watching it. Don't like all those remakes of good, Scandinavian stuff, it's just so odd.

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:34 pm 

Hmph, just finished season four of the new era Doctor Who. Totally not ready for the start of season five and a new Doctor, I really, really liked David Tennant he just brought so much energy and character to the Doctor. Christopher Eccleston was good as well but couldn't really compare to David, least not in my eyes. We shall see how Matt Smith does tomorrow :(

Azmodes wrote:

Napero
GedankenPanzer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 6:28 am 

Smith's first episode is quite nice, but I feel he only really gets the ball rolling with the Pandorica stuff around the 12th episode or so. Tennant is a very good Doctor, yeah.

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:13 am 

Scorntyrant wrote:
The wife doesn't want to watch the classic ones

Why on earth not? I try and pretend the new version does not exist because I hate they way they ran with it (aiming at young girls for a start), but the old stuff is awesome.

Actually, on reflection, I just hit the back button and noticed you're American. Maybe part of the appeal is that for anyone over 30-odd in the UK/Australia/New Zealand it's like re-watchng your childhood as it was always on TV growing up.

I'd assume your second paragraph is correct; while I certainly understand the first (indeed, it was part of the reason I avoided the new series before my girlfriend got me started on it) I've thoroughly warmed up to it and now really enjoy it. The old series just seems too dry and slow-paced for me, and this is coming from a huge fan of Deep Space Nine. Perhaps I haven't watched the right episodes.

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:03 pm 

No it's dry and slow, I'm having problems staying interested even though they have good story lines in classic. It doesn't help me that they spread the story out over (generally) 4-6 twenty minute episodes instead of a modern fifty minute episode. It just feels weird and broken, couple that with the missing episodes and the standard elder years 'women can't do anything and need constant saving' style characters they make the companions and it just makes for an almost laborious watching process. At least for me.

Azmodes wrote:

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:48 pm 

Yeah, Hannibal is not a typical cop show and I hate to say this but Nashil is missing the point. Also, Fargo was not stupid and wrapped up in a very satisfying, opposite of True Detective's incredibly shitty ending way.
Watched a few episodes of Penny Dreadful. This show is basically soft-core pornography. Episode 4 was suuuuuuuuuuper gay. Definitely not for me.
As for the new Doctor Who series currently broadcasting, I dig Capaldi. Into the Dalek was way better than his first appearance (which was good too) and he seems to be quickly finding his footing. I like that they changed up the Doctor/Clara dynamic and would even say it makes Clara as a character slightly more bearable.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 3:35 pm 

The Knick has been really good. Those graphic surgical procedures...

To be fair I didn't give Hannibal that much of a chance, but it just didn't seem up to par with the really good premium channel/non-network level of drama (i.e. Cinemax who are doing The Knick!).

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 3:57 pm 

Into the Dalek was a great episode with Zawe Ashton (Fresh Meat) as a guest! The upcoming one (the Doctor + Robin Wood) will be awesome. Capaldi is already perhaps my favorite modern doctor, he's rough as fuck!

Dunno why you bothered with Penny Dreadful, Necro, this was clearly not something you'd dig. I thought the first 3 episodes were super great but the ending of the season was lackluster and nothing special. I dig the atmosphere and the acting so I'll watch the second season.

I can't wait for both Brooklynn Nine-Nine and Castle to restart (September 28th and 29th respectively.) B99 was my surprise of last year, it's a super good police comedy show, those not familiar should binge watch it before season 2 starts.

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 4:11 pm 

I feel like the first season of Penny Dreadful was mostly used (if not only used) for establishing the different characters. The whole story was merely an instrument. The finale of the main story was nothing special, but the finale of the characters was superb.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 4:37 pm 

Metantoine wrote:

Dunno why you bothered with Penny Dreadful, Necro, this was clearly not something you'd dig. I thought the first 3 episodes were super great but the ending of the season was lackluster and nothing special. I dig the atmosphere and the acting so I'll watch the second season.

I dunno, I heard positive things, liked the concept, and am a fan of Eva Green. The first three episodes were indeed pretty good, I liked how over the top Timothy Dalton was. Then they introduced Dorian Grey and the show became overwhelmingly gay.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 5:43 pm 

henkkjelle wrote:
I feel like the first season of Penny Dreadful was mostly used (if not only used) for establishing the different characters. The whole story was merely an instrument. The finale of the main story was nothing special, but the finale of the characters was superb.

Yeah, I guess that's true but I thought the Eva Green centered episode (episode 4, iirc) was long and it dragged.
Spoiler: show
Josh Hartnett is the freaking American werewolf in London!!!!

Necroticism174 wrote:
the show became overwhelmingly gay.

Like this a bad thing!!! :-D I think Dorian Gray's introduction was well done, it's obvious that they're keeping his story line for season 2.

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 8:10 pm 

Necro's just upset because Dorian makes him feel things he doesn't want to feel.

Whaa, Twonn, the Eva Green-centered episode was one of the absolute best in the season. U b crazybear.

Oh, and Hannibal just got too ridiculous for me toward the end of season 2. It would've been great it they had fit it all into one really awesome season, but instead they tried to stretch it out too far and ended up resorting to tons of implausible secondary killers and "you're trying to have me killed, I'm trying to have you killed" convolutions and it all just ended up being silly.

newp
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 8:43 pm 

Under_Starmere wrote:
Oh, and Hannibal just got too ridiculous for me toward the end of season 2. It would've been great it they had fit it all into one really awesome season, but instead they tried to stretch it out too far and ended up resorting to tons of implausible secondary killers and "you're trying to have me killed, I'm trying to have you killed" convolutions and it all just ended up being silly.

Eh I dunno, for the most part I enjoyed S2 more than S1. I thought the way the main events referred to in the books was done fairly well, although that old man with the totem pole of bodies was totally bunk and pointless. Eddie Izzard's character was pretty good but overall I'd agree they could have cut much of the secondary stories in both seasons and the show would have been stronger for it.

So I started watching the modern era of Doctor Who last night and found I really enjoyed it. Three episodes in and I'm sold. I always figured I would but it seemed daunting to get into such a long-running series. They seem to have a done pretty good job of setting it up so a viewer can get into it without much knowledge of the 60-80s era though. I'm a glutton when it comes to binge-viewing so I'm really stoked about having +100 episodes ahead of me. The KLF summed up my feelings pretty well: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdTELokKfCk

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 8:50 pm 

Yeah same boat here. Started watching the new incarnation and in like two weeks I'm already starting season 5.

Azmodes wrote:

Napero
GedankenPanzer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 5:31 pm 

After the third episode, I'm still a bit disappointed by the new Doctor Who. They have a really charismatic actor, yet the useless Clara bullshit, mixed with silly plots that remind me of the campy 80's stuff, manage to waste all that. Kick out the bitch, and find a new scriptwriter, it's going nowhere as it is now.

I'm re-watching the Sixth Series at the same time with kids, and the difference in longer term plot building and quality of single episodes is striking. The Robin Hood bullshit was so lame that if that persists, I will buy a book of sudokus instead.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65 ... 182  Next