Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2023 8:37 pm 

Finished season 7 of Rick and Morty. The season started off shaky but there were some amazing episodes in this season - some of the best of the whole series. The voice changes didn't bother me and I didn't even notice it by the end of the season. The worst episode was the 1st one but it got better as it went on, and the last episode was fantastic. Looking forward to more adventures in season 8.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

Ali Gothika
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2024 8:03 am 

I love to watch T.V.!! Some of my favorite shows are: Dr. Phil, Outlander, Botched, Soap Operas {mainly "The Young and The Restless"], Hoarders + reruns of Married With Children...

MikeyC

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2024 11:13 pm 

Ali Gothika wrote:
I love to watch T.V.!! Some of my favorite shows are: Dr. Phil, Outlander, Botched, Soap Operas {mainly "The Young and The Restless"], Hoarders + reruns of Married With Children...

That's an interesting line-up of TV, haha. I find Dr. Phil to be a bit of a phony. Botched is something that comes on TV late at night here in Australia and I see some of the horror stories when I'm doing night shifts. And Married With Children is a sitcom I could never, ever get into. But hey, you do you. :)

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

Ali Gothika
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2024 8:56 am 

Ha Ha---Yup, Botched is cool cause the doctors on there can fix some pretty messed up things...I also love Zombie House Flipping, it comes on on the weekends...8-]] Married With Children is quite funny actually..but like you said, to each his own...

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2024 6:39 pm 

This Fargo season going on is pretty great. Knocking it out of the park as usual. Crime, some deeper financial social commentary, some gender and political shit, all done with wonderful acting and characterization.

Lane
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2024 3:49 am 

I think I need to revisit Twin Peaks. I haven't seen first 2 seasons for over a decade now. Season 3 snapped my brain a few years ago, so I am happy it's number 3... Also 'Fire Walk with Me' is essential in between new album old TP.

I watched 'Lynch / Oz' document a while ago and that was the spark for this maddening idea. I've actually never watch 'The Wizard of Oz'... Maybe I should, as it looked rather warped.

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2024 2:13 pm 

Lane wrote:
I think I need to revisit Twin Peaks. I haven't seen first 2 seasons for over a decade now. Season 3 snapped my brain a few years ago, so I am happy it's number 3... Also 'Fire Walk with Me' is essential in between new album old TP.

I watched 'Lynch / Oz' document a while ago and that was the spark for this maddening idea. I've actually never watch 'The Wizard of Oz'... Maybe I should, as it looked rather warped.

The Twin Peaks theme and "Laura's Theme" are two of the greatest things I will ever hear.
"So, you want to sign songs about your great and glorious invisible cloud daddy? Go right ahead. You have whole tax-free buildings to do that in. I am not only not listening, I am intentionally going out of my way to ignore you."

MikeyC

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2024 7:02 pm 

I watched Monarch: Legacy of Monsters. It was enjoyable. The lead actress Cate was annoying at times, but overall I did enjoy it. It's a good placeholder for when Godzilla x Kong comes out later this year.

ZarathustraHead wrote:

MetlaNZ
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2024 9:30 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
This Fargo season going on is pretty great. Knocking it out of the park as usual. Crime, some deeper financial social commentary, some gender and political shit, all done with wonderful acting and characterization.

Just watched the finale last night. Absolutely loved season 5. Have you seen season 4 and what do you think of it? I didn't get around to watching it.

MetlaNZ
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2024 9:36 pm 

MikeyC wrote:
Finished season 7 of Rick and Morty. The season started off shaky but there were some amazing episodes in this season - some of the best of the whole series. The voice changes didn't bother me and I didn't even notice it by the end of the season. The worst episode was the 1st one but it got better as it went on, and the last episode was fantastic. Looking forward to more adventures in season 8.

I gave up after a couple of eps into season 6, just wasn't feeling it but revisited it a few weeks ago and loved it. Plowed through season 6 and 7. Just needed a break from it and to be in the mood to watch I guess.

MetlaNZ
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2024 9:45 pm 

Thoroughly recommend the animated sci-fi series Scavengers Reign. I don't watch much animated stuff but this was recommended to me and it blew me away. Incredible writing and world building, the animation is subtle and basic and kinda threw me bit when I started watching but by the end of ep 1 was hooked. Fantastic series and I can't wait for season 2.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2024 4:48 pm 

MetlaNZ wrote:
Empyreal wrote:

Just watched the finale last night. Absolutely loved season 5. Have you seen season 4 and what do you think of it? I didn't get around to watching it.

I don't really remember a lot of the fourth season. I'm gonna rewatch the whole series though. Season 3 in particular is such a fucking masterpiece of TV. New season was fun though... fun, ass kicking finale for sure.

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2024 11:12 am 

I'm not sure what seasons of Fargo I've watched so far. I think I only remember the first 2, I'll have to check the last ones. Not that I didn't like them, I remember loving them, but for some reason I don't seem to remember a lot from them.

pyratebastard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2024 4:08 pm 

Lane wrote:
I think I need to revisit Twin Peaks.

I ought to watch this show. I spent a night in North Bend while moving to Washington last year, and had no idea. I bought drinks and snacks at a place called Twin Peaks Food and Gas and didn't even make the connection lol. The "Palmer House" is about a mile from my current place. I'd definitely appreciate these things more if I watched it.

Purveyor of absolute bastardry.

Only_Perception wrote:
I guess most people here are just standard copy pastes more concerned with defending the honor of celebrities than thinking about music.

Bronze Age
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2024 9:31 pm 

True Detective - Night Country

It was ok but kind of disappointing.

tobi is an animal
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2024 1:43 pm 

Love & Death

I thought it was pretty good and Elizabeth Olsen was fabulous as Candy. I liked how they slowly built up to the climatic axe scene, which was pretty wild with the brief flashbacks throughout. I also liked how they played into a few different scenarios , where Candy and the husband could've planned it, was Candy obsessed with the husband and acted on her own, or maybe it was as Candy said it happened. Were those the real autopsy photos or just great work from the art department? Also I'd never heard of the story until I seen this, so I wasn't sure how the jury was gonna find her.

Anybody seen Candy with Jessica Biel? I wonder how it compares.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:50 pm 

Finished watching Black Sails last week and it's seriously one of the best shows I've ever seen. I went in expecting a fun but potentially silly pirate adventure, and it kind of starts out that way (a bit heavy on the shlocky HBOisms early on, but they move away from that entirely as the show progresses), but... when I was done I was pondering the meaning of civilization and shit :lol:

Great TV with great performances and it sticks the landing too, I highly recommend it.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Dungeon_Vic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2024 11:30 am 

+1 on Twin Peaks and Black Sails, including the comments.

I just want to add that Charles Vane's voice was pretty awesome.

Vic's Dungeon - Remember the Fallen:
Jeff Hanneman: Evil Notes and Sad Riffs
Chuck Schuldiner (Death)
Paul Baloff (Exodus)
Holy Terror and Keith Deen
Roger Patterson (Atheist)

ZenoMarx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:06 pm 

+1 on Black Sails. I too went into it thinking it would be something quite different. Shows like it that are non-HBO productions often fall into the cheap sex/excessive cussing/6th grade level puberty feed storylines deal. Black Sails was not that at all.

cavysna
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 12:01 pm 

I love Star Trek, ive watched TOS and TNG, and TNG is my favourite piece of tv/show/story media, absolute masterpiece imo. Currently watching DS9, on s04e01 and its starting to get really good right now

I also watch anime, i usually have a few that im watching at a time and slowly going through, right now its mainly AoT and Cowboy Bebop. After i finish those i want to watch some 80s/90s animes.
My favourite anime is Neon Genes Evangelion, followed by Steins;Gate

I might also try out watching Doctor Who, ive heard its good and i think ill like it if i love star trek ?

MetlaNZ
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:25 pm 

Just watched the first 5 eps of Shogun. Awesome stuff in every way didn't wanna stop watching it. Highly recommend it.
Also watched 3 Body Problem and really dug that too. Cool Sci-fi story, liked the characters and the possibilities for where it can go in future seasons look endless.
Finished Masters Of The Air as well. It's a flawed but entertaining story of American bomber pilots in WW2. Not up there with Band Of Brothers or The Pacific but worth a watch if this sorta stuff interests you.

Disembodied
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2024 5:15 am 

I watched Shogun at the behest of a friend and fell asleep during the second episode. So much talking and so little happening. It's an interesting setting with lots of opportunities for visual flair but most of it was people sitting around in shadowy rooms talking endlessly.

ZenoMarx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2024 4:15 pm 

I'm enjoying Shogun too. I hate the way FX and Hulu coordinate. I don't always find it clear what is going to air on FX, so I almost missed Shogun.

Bronze Age
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 12:16 am 

I did watch an episode and a half of Shogun. Seems like the best new show in about 10+ years.

pyratebastard
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:27 pm 

I need to check out Shogun.

I spent the weekend watching Fallout. I really enjoyed it! They did something of their own with the story, and did a good job bringing the Wasteland to life. It wasn't flawless, but I'm looking forward to the next season.

Purveyor of absolute bastardry.

Only_Perception wrote:
I guess most people here are just standard copy pastes more concerned with defending the honor of celebrities than thinking about music.

Gravetemplar
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:41 am 

I'm enjoying Fallout too. I even reinstalled the game.

MikeyC

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:15 pm 

Just finished Invincible season 2. Really good. If you liked season 1, you'll enjoy this one. I'm very much looking forward to season 3.

ZarathustraHead wrote:

ZenoMarx
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:14 pm 

Bronze Age wrote:
I did watch an episode and a half of Shogun. Seems like the best new show in about 10+ years.

It's definitely up there for me too. I especially appreciate the pace. It's about culture, story, character, and power; not about crash boom bah. For anyone thirsty for Game of Thrones story and quality production vibes, it's one to seriously consider.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 178, 179, 180, 181, 182