Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:43 pm 

failsafeman wrote:
It's funny how people's attitudes toward TV shows have changed over the years. Star Trek: TNG is generally regarded as a classic by most, including me, yet it was hot garbage in season 1, season 2 was maybe 50/50, and it didn't reach its peak until seasons 3-5 or so. It took two years and over 50 episodes to become what we remember it as today. Yet these days, we have so much quality TV to go around, and a show's lifespan is so much shorter, that we dismiss entire series based on the first couple of episodes.

That's really interesting and not something I've really given much thought to. Even ten years ago or less it wasn't like that, but I would wager that the increase in amount and variation of TV shows, plus ease of accessibility with services such as Netflix, have made that occur.

I'm not as familiar with Star Trek as others here, but I am with a show like Seinfeld. It took 4 seasons before it became the hit that it was in the 90's. If that started in 2017, it would barely get through two seasons before being axed. I guess it puts more pressure on writers to release quality, but it's good for the consumer.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:14 pm 

Yeah, exactly. Or how about The Simpsons? Season 1 was crap, season 2 was pretty good, but it didn't become great until season 3. Makes me wonder if the next potential Seinfeld or Simpsons or TNG got canceled before its time.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:34 pm 

Totally. Didn't even think of The Simpsons. I guess we'll never know. :)

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:16 pm 

failsafeman wrote:
Yeah, exactly. Or how about The Simpsons? Season 1 was crap, season 2 was pretty good, but it didn't become great until season 3. Makes me wonder if the next potential Seinfeld or Simpsons or TNG got canceled before its time.

I don't think Firefly was anywhere near as good as TNG, but I do think it coulda been really good.
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:32 pm 

Yeah, that's how I've always felt about Firefly. It's good, but not amazing, but I definitely think it could've gotten flat out amazing had it had more time.

I think a potential counter-argument is also just taking the premise of a show into account. The early TNG seasons are weaker because of the over-presence of a few kind of lame characters, the lack of development of the better characters early on, and just generally weaker writing than what came later. The premise of the show, of course, was always solid. I haven't actually watched The Expanse yet but the premise alone sounds cool enough that I'd be willing to sit through a few average seasons before it started getting really good.

But a show like Bates Motel? I mean, if I'm not totally sold on the writing, acting, camera work, etc. right off the bat, why would I even continue to watch such a show? How good could a Bates Motel TV series ever possibly get? That's how I decide whether or not to continue watching a show that was kind of unimpressive early on - how good is the premise in the first place?

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:12 am 

Yeah, the very premise of Bates Motel is just insulting as fuck.

And also-yeah, The Expanse is great fun and one of the best sci-fi shows to come along in a while. Volute saying "perhaps my standards are too high because I've been watching such quality series" has surpassed even darkeningday levels of pretentiousness.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

Erotetic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:34 am 

I'm up to Community s6e7 and I finally laughed out loud

volutetheswarth
Our Lady of Perpetual Butthurt

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:17 pm 

darkeningday wrote:
Yeah, the very premise of Bates Motel is just insulting as fuck.

And also-yeah, The Expanse is great fun and one of the best sci-fi shows to come along in a while. Volute saying "perhaps my standards are too high because I've been watching such quality series" has surpassed even darkeningday levels of pretentiousness.
How am I pretentious. Because I don't see quality in Expanse when everyone else does? If you don't think there's a difference between A-Caliber movies and television then you're delusional, all facets of television are usually at a second rate with inconsistent episodes, average acting quality and sloppy directing except from some recent well-talked about well-beloved exclusions, some of which I already mentioned. I know it's fun for you to be all sniveling, snarky and bitchy when someone disagrees with you about one of your favourite tv shows but it's called a difference of opinion, grow up.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:36 am 

Firefly is better than your favourite show

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:21 am 

Binged watched the new 24 episodes and the two subplots with the brother and the high school kids feel like filler. The twists got to the point where it's laughable, but it's still entertaining.

Erotetic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 7:49 am 

started watching The Americans

not 10 minutes in and already I see there's going to be some serious efforts at suspense of disbelief to be made.

you have a team of people who're ready to ambush a guy, you chase him for 10 blocks and he has time to pull a knife on you but you don't have so much as a taser or a baton to use? what shitty planning.

HellBlazer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 4:37 pm 

aaronmb666 wrote:
Binged watched the new 24 episodes and the two subplots with the brother and the high school kids feel like filler. The twists got to the point where it's laughable, but it's still entertaining.

It wouldn't be 24 without filler subplots!

Erotetic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:01 pm 

is this 24: Legacy you guys are talking about?

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:45 pm 

Erotetic wrote:
is this 24: Legacy you guys are talking about?

yep

andersbang
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:27 pm 

Anyone seen Jeff and Some Aliens? Crazy fucking show, in the over the top vein of Mr Pickles, King Star King, Rick and Morty..

Pro tip: Get high as balls first.

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:28 pm 

It's been a while, but I thought Firefly at least bordered on great. Could have been one of the best shows out there, for sure.

Just finished watching all of Black Mirror. Fuck, what an interesting show. Find this a lot more scary than most actual horror stuff, because some of this could plausibly happen in 50 years. "White Christmas" was one of the best episodes I've ever seen of anything. The one where the British PM is forced to have sex with a pig in order for the kidnappers not to kill the princess was so fucked up. Overall, season 3 was the only season that was consistently amazing, but a few great episodes in the first two seasons. Some of the social media ones were maybe a tad preachy and forced, but the ones dealing with war/terrorism/crime and punishment were amazing.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:11 pm 

White Christmas would've been much better without the stupid ending. Not the main twist - the ending for the American guy. It would've made much more sense and been much more in keeping with the tone of the series if the government people had given him a job. But no, they went with the stupid ironic punishment. It was a really good episode otherwise but that last part really soured it for me.

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:37 pm 

I'm on S1E8 of Dark Matter. The skeleton of a great show is there, the plot points and story beats fitting in nicely while leaving enough mystery to want to continue watching, but holy shit the dialogue is cringe-worthy "I am here and doing this" exposition crap.

darkeningday wrote:
I haven't saw any of the Seen movies.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:48 pm 

It's mostly enjoyable for what it is. Trashy space adventure sci-fi, I dare say not too dumb, but nothing too subtle either.

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:04 pm 

That's a great way to put it. It's always very promising, like it almost has everything in gear to be something memorable, but then gets lazy on the finer details.

darkeningday wrote:

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:54 pm 

Season 2 of Dark Matter is borderline great, actually. Definitely worth putting up with the mediocre season 1 for, imho.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:11 pm 

darkeningday wrote:
Season 2 of Dark Matter is borderline great, actually. Definitely worth putting up with the mediocre season 1 for, imho.

Seen 1 episode and it was so shitty! Not sure I want to watch the whole first season! It's on Netflix so, I might try again... Killjoys is pretty fun though and I've seen both seasons.

Currently watching Chef's Table, it's amazing. The images are spectacular and the chefs are super interesting. There's a good balance of assholes and cool people so far.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:15 pm 

Metantoine wrote:
darkeningday wrote:

Seen 1 episode and it was so shitty!

Yeah, almost as bad as 1 episode of TOS, TNG and DS9.

I'm not saying it's a masterpiece, but imho you can never have too many sci-fi shows not set on earth.

Maybe I should take my own advice though because I couldn't get through the first episode of Killjoys; felt like a typical CW show to me (i.e., worse than an inverted anal hematoma).

Last edited by darkeningday on Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:17 pm 

darkeningday wrote:
Metantoine wrote:
Seen 1 episode and it was so shitty!

Yeah, almost as bad as 1 episode of TOS, TNG and DS9.

GTFO, Emissary was a great episode.

Love season 2 will appear on Netflix Friday, I think I'll watch it even if I had some reservations concerning season 1. I wanna know what happens.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:01 pm 

darkeningday wrote:

Really? Really really? Hard not to be skeptical, I saw maybe 5 episodes of the first season.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:38 pm 

I mean it's not some sort of masterpiece, it's a cheap Syfy original by two of the lead writers from the Stargate TV franchise, but for my money it's totally watchable. They literally kill off a good chunk of the main cast at the beginning of the second season, so it seems many people were not exactly blown away by the way the show started.

I also remember the first season getting interesting enough to be recommended only in the last few episodes.

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:20 am 

Well, now that I know certain cast members are gone (and hopefully One/Jace/Derrick is included)...

S1 gets better as it moves along. Once Five starts to sort through their shared memories it starts picking up some steam, and I'd say that Four's focal episode, when he meets his old trainer on the forest planet, has been the best so far. If you're going to give it another shot, just have it on as background noise while you're reading/cleaning/etc. You'll be able to catch the major parts in passing.

darkeningday wrote:

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:39 am 

Finished S1. Did not see the traitor coming, and I started up S2 to see why. It's a small letdown but at least it makes sense in the grand scheme. Also of note is the increased production value at the end of S1/beginning of S2, and the Giger-ish construction of the air vents aboard the Raza made me smile.

darkeningday wrote:

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:43 pm 

Voyager starting to get really solid. The second half of S3 was mostly great, and the new plot introduced at the end of the season is *massive* step up from the previous meta plot arcs. Thankfully I live in the future so I can bypass all of the annoying two-part season bookending cliffhangers by just watching both episodes in a row. So after I watch S4E01, I'll watch the second half of the recent Vikings season before getting into s4 of Voyager proper.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

HellBlazer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:39 pm 

Y'all need to watch Legion, just sayin'.

Derigin
The Mountain Man

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:06 pm 

I may check out Legion soon.

iamntbatman wrote:
Voyager starting to get really solid. The second half of S3 was mostly great, and the new plot introduced at the end of the season is *massive* step up from the previous meta plot arcs. Thankfully I live in the future so I can bypass all of the annoying two-part season bookending cliffhangers by just watching both episodes in a row. So after I watch S4E01, I'll watch the second half of the recent Vikings season before getting into s4 of Voyager proper.

The second half of S3 and the first half of S4 are probably the best period for Voyager.

R.I.P. Diamhea 1987-2018
Live young, die free. Gone, but not forgotten.

Erotetic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:41 am 

I often struggle to 'get into' new shows. finally got one to stick: The Americans. marathoned through the first 2 seasons.

timely enough, apparently a 5th season has just begun airing :)

want to check out Pete Holmes' Crashing (not to be confused with UK series) but can't find it anywhere yet.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:54 pm 

Watching Dark Matter with Stargate in mind is helping me appreciate it, lol. I miss Stargate, so it's nice to have a bit of a similarly toned scifi show, particularly if it gets better. And McKay aka Not-Quentin-Tarantino shows up!

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:30 pm 

Absolutely cannot fucking wait for Fargo season 3 next month. At this point it's just about the only show that I watch every week, rather than waiting for the whole season to be out so I can binge it.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

aloof
avant-gardener

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:39 am 

out today:

looks really expensive, but I'm still not impressed. I think/fear they'll cluck it up.

///

I binge-watched Continuum last month, have just 3 episodes left and can't bring myself to watch them :/

///

dystopia4 wrote:
Just finished watching all of Black Mirror. some of this could plausibly happen in 50 years.

you're naive. I mean this in the best plausible way :)

Erdrickgr
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:50 pm 

DrFunkenstein wrote:
Anyone a fan of the X Files? Started watching it a couple months ago (halfway through the fourth season). I never watched it when it was new, but I am really enjoying it.

I loved it when I was a teen, though I didn't watch the series till the very end. I had all sorts of nostalgia feels about how great the show was. Unfortunately when I went back and rewatched it on Netflix it ended up being very frustrating and seemed uneven (very similar to The Twilight Zone for me). My biggest two complaints are: they basically sacrifice the integrity of Scully's character (brilliant, analytical, sceptical) any time the plot needs her to be dumb or haphazard; the other one is the 'just so' plot contrivances which don't feel earned. I guess I'd still go back and watch the series again if I was with someone who hadn't seen it before. Plus the cigarette smoking man is one of my favorite villains of all time.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:42 pm 

Dark Matter definitely gets better toward the mid/end of s01 and in s02. Pretty fun.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:58 pm 

Nahsil wrote:
Dark Matter definitely gets better toward the mid/end of s01 and in s02. Pretty fun.

Yay! Season 2 has a pretty... uh... surprising ending, even moreso than the first season. Curious to see where it will go from there.

volutetheswarth

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:05 pm 

Erdrickgr wrote:
DrFunkenstein wrote:
Anyone a fan of the X Files? Started watching it a couple months ago (halfway through the fourth season). I never watched it when it was new, but I am really enjoying it.

I loved it when I was a teen, though I didn't watch the series till the very end. I had all sorts of nostalgia feels about how great the show was. Unfortunately when I went back and rewatched it on Netflix it ended up being very frustrating and seemed uneven (very similar to The Twilight Zone for me). My biggest two complaints are: they basically sacrifice the integrity of Scully's character (brilliant, analytical, sceptical) any time the plot needs her to be dumb or haphazard; the other one is the 'just so' plot contrivances which don't feel earned. I guess I'd still go back and watch the series again if I was with someone who hadn't seen it before. Plus the cigarette smoking man is one of my favorite villains of all time.

Mostly agreed, Scully did turn into the-info-moving-the-plot-forward far too often. I also feel the alien abduction of Mulder's sister which was the essentially the foundation of the show got brushed away and shoehorned back in randomly. They didn't need it in every episode but I would have liked it to echo Mulder's convictions more, rather than him be a comic relief 90% of the time.

Monster of the week were my favourite because they threw away that seemingly never ending convoluted/conspiracy shit and it was a self contained who-done-it with usually a great pay off, not Smoking Man popping up like a 90's version of Dr. Claw from Inspector Gadget/Skinner giving a piece of the puzzle that ultimately is fruitless or destroyed before discovery.

volutetheswarth

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:32 pm 

http://www.denofgeek.com/uk/tv/black-mi ... -to-direct

So looking like we'll get a new season of Black Mirror this year. Can't wait.

Side note: I've never seen such diverse opinion regarding best and worst episodes than with Black Mirror.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 113, 114, 115, 116, 117, 118, 119 ... 182  Next