Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:44 am 

Has anyone seen Iron Fist yet? It seems to be getting some bad reviews over at io9, though I have learned that theirs usually have to be taken with a grain of salt.

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:48 am 

I have some friends who've watched it and really enjoyed it...but they also think the Cap movies are the worst of the MCU.

darkeningday wrote:
I haven't saw any of the Seen movies.

HellBlazer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:21 pm 

Azmodes wrote:
Has anyone seen Iron Fist yet? It seems to be getting some bad reviews over at io9, though I have learned that theirs usually have to be taken with a grain of salt.

I've watched about half of it now. Eh... it's alright. Definitely falls short of the other Marvel Netflix shows, though.

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:28 pm 

It does have its faults, but Iron Fist was still pretty enjoyable. It's definitely not one of the best Netflix Marvel shows, but still worth a watch. It could get kind of goofy, there were some plotholes/unnecessary plot lines and some stuff shoehorned in to connect it to the other Marvel shows (namely Claire, who didn't need to be there. How did she suddenly know how to fight?).

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:34 pm 

I have 3 or 4 episodes left to watch but Iron Fist is decent, not as good as Daredevil or Jessica Jones but those were pretty great. I've only seen 1 Luke Cage ep but I'll finish it later.

Claire knows how to fist 'cause she's training with Colleen...? They clearly show that when we first meet her in the series. I think she's a cool link between all the different defenders. I really like the Ward Meachum arc, it's really fun and cruel.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:49 pm 

Thanks, guys. I guess I'll give it a try. I don't really have anything to binge right now, so might as well; tried the pilot for Into the Badlands, but it didn't impress me that much.

Thumbman
Big Cube

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:29 pm 

Sure, Tony. But I don't think she'd get good enough to beat up villains who's whole lives are beating people up in that short time span (I assume this is supposed to be set pretty soon after Luke Cage/season 2 of Daredevil).

Also, Luke Cage was awesome. Get on that shit.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:57 pm 

Metantoine wrote:
Claire knows how to fist 'cause she's training with Colleen...?

Sounds kinky

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

volutetheswarth
Our Lady of Perpetual Butthurt

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:11 pm 

Honestly the first foray in the MTU; Agents of Shield was mediocre drivel, and I simply wasn't impressed with Daredevil season 1 beyond some great action scenes. Way better than the movie with Ben Affleck but not something without it's predictable sub-standard TV tropes. Iron Fist seems like a better version of vapid gossip girl meets superheroes that is The Arrow but that's not really saying much. I'll stick to the movies, Marvel certainly doesn't want to treat them as integral to their movie universe so why should I.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:00 am 

I'm almost through Iron Fist and it's really not that bad. I'd rate it the weakest of the Defenders series so far, though not by a particularly wide margin. JJ > DD > LC > IF

It's entertaining and some of the characters and their dynamics are pretty interesting. Two of the main criticisms I've seen online are apparently that a) for a series about a kung-fu hero, the action scenes are badly done and b) Loras Tyrell can't act/emote. I guess if you compare a) to DD, it does not exactly shine, but that's a pretty high bar to reach and to my crude eye there was nothing particularly grating about the fights. As for b), ... he's fine, i guess? So yeah, it's not great, but not the pile of shit io9 reviewers make it to be either. There are some plot conveniences/lazy writing and I think the protagonist is a bit on the dull side, but pretty decent stuff overall.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:57 am 

S4E05 - Revulsion - is so far among the very best Voyager episodes. Harry being a bumbling fuckwit unable to bang the ultra-willing Seven of Nine, plenty of The Doctor being super funny and likable, really great lines from that apeshit other hologram, some decent horror vibes on his ship. All around really solid stuff. Hopefully there are more of this caliber.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:27 am 

Morrigan wrote:
Metantoine wrote:
Claire knows how to fist 'cause she's training with Colleen...?

Sounds kinky

Oh shit, this was a good typo.

I'm done with the series and it wasn't bad at all. I even liked it. I liked the parts with Bakuto and Davos (Seaworth?), it was solid and well written and possibly better than the 2nd season of Daredevil except for the Punisher arc. I'll start Luke Cage again now.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:31 am 

Luke Cage is my favorite of them all so far. Super rich drama and complex history to the story, plus great action. Mike Colter and Maharshala Ali are awesome.

I'll probably start Iron Fist this weekend. Tony's comments are the most positive things I've heard about it so far.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:47 am 

Yeah, on second thought, I'd probably rank LC about as high as DD, considering the latter's uneven second season (the awesome Punisher stuff notwithstanding) and the former's many big strengths.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:53 am 

They're all pretty close really - Daredevil has excellent action, super cool crime-story intrigue and really likable main characters. Jessica Jones is an excellent feminist piece and goes deeper into the psyche of its lead than the others do, with excellent nuance. Luke Cage is great for its drama and complex storyline it weaves with well done flashbacks and character development.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:02 pm 

Don't forget Kilgrave for JJ! One of the best and most interesting villains ever.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:08 pm 

I liked David Tennant as Kilgrave more than in Doctor Who. :p

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:30 pm 

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:33 pm 

He practices an ancient technique known as sleep fighting.

NuclearCreation91
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:18 pm 

All the MCU shows have been completely unreal for me personally. Just solid slabs of entertainment the industry should have been doing all along (ie hollywoo!). JJ is probably my favourite as it's the most consistent in tone and has the coolest villain ever. Haven't heard much good about Iron Fist from sources I trust, bummed about that.

Luke Cage had me disappointed in the sense that:

Spoiler: show
The final showdown between diamond dick and Luke was basically an over glorified worldstar hip hop video. Such a fuckin lame move, even though diamondback was a shitty villain anyways. I have no clue how it went down in the comics but killing Cottonmouth was a lame ass move to introduce such a shitty villain.

I am excited for the evil that I think Mariah can unleash but I'm just sour about Diamondback.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 5:30 am 

NuclearCreation91 wrote:
Haven't heard much good about Iron Fist from sources I trust, bummed about that.

I still think it's well worth watching. I finished it yesterday and while the finale had a number of really dumb moments and turns, the series as a whole was solid. Granted, I'm not sure what it says about the writing when one of the B-arcs is more interesting and has cooler characters (the Meachums) than the main storyline, but I didn't ever get bored either way. See my earlier post for more thoughts.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:26 pm 

Anyone here watched You're The Worst? Cruised through the first two seasons with some people and enjoyed it a lot. If he hasn't already seen it, I'd put down money it'll be Metantoine's favorite new show. Though I'd put more money down that he's already seen it.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:00 am 

Started the second season of Into The Badlands. Gotta love those fight scenes.

Dungeon_Vic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:28 pm 

To those who recommended Legion: FUCK YEAH. Out of nowhere one of the best shows of the season, for sure.

Vic's Dungeon - Remember the Fallen:
Jeff Hanneman: Evil Notes and Sad Riffs
Chuck Schuldiner (Death)
Paul Baloff (Exodus)
Holy Terror and Keith Deen
Roger Patterson (Atheist)

HellBlazer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:05 pm 

Dungeon_Vic wrote:
To those who recommended Legion: FUCK YEAH. Out of nowhere one of the best shows of the season, for sure.

:nods:

ObservationSlave
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:01 pm 

My problem with Iron Fist is the anime-like dialogue during many of the fighting scenes. It just comes off as really corny. Aside from that though, I've enjoyed it. Nothing has come close to Daredevil for me though. There's just so many interesting characters in that show - half of them could probably have their own spin-offs.

NuclearCreation91
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 8:09 am 

Jeff and Some Aliens is siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiickkkk. Stupid stoner comedy mixed with some really intelligent humor. Rick and Morty fans can find a lot to like here I believe.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 10:15 am 

I am just not into Iron Fist. I may keep going, but it's just so weirdly paced, the episodes feel much longer than they should and nothing is really gripping me yet like the other three Marvel shows on Netflix. It just feels off in a way - just not paced very well. I think I may try Legion instead, heard nothing but good things.

~Guest 373247
Village Idiot

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 1:19 pm 

I finally started watching "Making a Murderer" the other day. I'm only three episodes in and it blows my mind that Steven Avery is still in prison.

Thatkellygirl
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 3:20 pm 

Just watched Iron Fist and was disappointed, loved Daredevil. Finished Peaky Blinders which I loved and moving on to Penny Dreadful.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 7:36 pm 

Watching Legion while being in a long distance relationship...all this "romance of the mind" "we can't touch" shit. Omfg. Get outta here. My girlfriend actually told me to watch it. SHE KNEW!

Good show :P
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 8:35 am 

Legion rules in its own peculiar way.

HOLY SHIT, Rick and Morty season 3! Friggin' awesome as usual.

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 2:26 pm 

Yup, saw it! The new episode aired yesterday on Adult Swim as an April Fool's gag but it turned out to be the real thing. I couldn't believe my eyes. I loved what I saw despite changes in the writing staff and I think the wait will be worth it.

volutetheswarth
Our Lady of Perpetual Butthurt

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:49 pm 

Yeah pleasantly surprised with new Rick and Morty outta nowhere. Didn't notice any noticeable changes with the new writers, time with tell with more episodes, but based off that first episode this season will be on par with season 2.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 11:17 pm 

I missed the Rick and Morty episode. :( I thought it was a prank and then I never got around to watching it. I'm enthusiastic about the positive reviews, though. :)

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

iDead
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:46 am 

My TV habits are sports. Football (soccer for our American friends ;D), Rugby (not Rugby league unless its 3 Origin games), basketball, tennis, moto racing, Olympics and such. Other stuff can be streamed anywhere on the web and no commercials haha

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:57 am 

That TWD finale....I'm almost surprised at how underwhelming it was. The comic is way better.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:25 am 

I thought this season was their best in several years. Lot of fun to watch.

Sweetie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:36 am 

I honestly thought the finale was better than most of that season... 7 overall was boring with the exception of a few episodes. 5 and 6 were way better.

NuclearCreation91
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:51 pm 

I really need to pick up TWD again. I was one of the viewers that quit on the show because of S2 and I realize the error of my ways.

Lilyhammer being cancelled pissed me off to no end. The ending of season 3 did not have closure in certain departments and now I'll never have it. I really recommend watching it if you like mob shit, it's a fresh take on a old formula. Steven Van Zandt is way better in this than the Sopranos and it's not like his performance was lacking there.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 114, 115, 116, 117, 118, 119, 120 ... 182  Next