Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 8:08 am 

shouvince wrote:
Has anyone watched the new show called Legion? I watched it when I was a bit drowsy but all I can is that it was a clusterfuck of an hour. I mean it in a good way. The characters look interesting and the visuals are stunning. I feel the plot might get a little predictable with the whole 'us versus them' story-line. Let's see how they take it forward.

It was damn weird and watching it drunk probably didn't help (or maybe it did). No idea what to make of it for now, though I'll keep watching. It was certainly intriguing.

Aubrey Plaza <3

Y'all need to check out Baskets already.

And finally, the new The Expanse (2x03) was amazing (except for the Martian marines parts maybe). That opening shot with Deimos was awesome. Also worth mentioning: the casting for Drummer, and definitely the guy who plays Amos.

volutetheswarth
Our Lady of Perpetual Butthurt

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 8:37 am 

Yeah that HarmonQuest is pretty unfunny. Do you have to be a role playing nerd to find it funny?

Community is ok, not exactly brimming with laughs but maybe because it's the pilot and they're establishing characters.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 8:42 am 

Voyager update:

Spoiler: show
It's a mixed bag, really. I thought "Threshhold" was terrible as a Star Trek episode but would've been okay in a less serious sci-fi show. I thought "Meld" was super amazing - stellar performances by Brad Dourif and Tuvok both. I kind of liked that "Innocence" episode even if most of it was basically "Tuvok has to babysit" just because the ending was kinda touching. "The Thaw"...ehhhh. Interesting premise, for sure, but basically I just thought the "OMG FEAR NIGHTMARE WORLD" of just a bunch of low-budget clowns dancing around and partying and sometimes pulling out a guillotine was awful. That one weird monster thing was sort of neat design but otherwise the carnival shit just really took away from the "fear itself" concept so I didn't like it much. I also just watched "Tuvix" and oh my god what a train wreck of an episode. The prosthetics/makeup/hair on Tuvix were just a horrible eyesore. I don't really like Neelix much at all so basically I didn't give a fuck about his plight, and the fact that Tuvix was basically just improved Neelix by not being a total shitbird showed how lame his character is. I didn't really give a shit if they killed Tuvix to bring Neelix and Tuvok back because they didn't do a good job at all of making me care about Tuvix as a new and unique identity because they were too busy portraying him as just sometimes Neelix and sometimes Tuvok. I also really hated how Janeway just cold-blooded murdered Tuvix at the end to get Tuvok and Neelix back - just a very un-Starfleet moment that didn't have me going, "well it's a tough choice, but it's the right choice" well enough. Janeway just seemed totally out of character. Basically I just hated how the moral dilemma presented by the episode was not really solved in any meaningful way, and I have a good feeling that the events of this episode are not going to matter at all in the long run. Just lame as shit, really.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:36 am 

When I first watched it as a young teen, "The Thaw" gave me the creeps and I still think it did very well in providing this really menacing, hopeless, surreal atmosphere. As such, I think they did a good job balancing the superficially whimsical yet ultimately dark-as-fuck character of the virtual environment. I dunno, maybe it hasn't aged well, I haven't seen it in a while, but it was always one of my favourite VOY episodes. And McKean shines in it.

The Red Tower
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:59 am 

Assuming that most of you aren't familiar with South Korean animated cartoons I'd simply like to share this one with you: anyone knows about the TV cartoon series "Larva"?
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Larva_%28TV_series%29

Just discovered this on youtube by accident and although I've only watched the first hour of the first season I already love this to death xD. Yeah I'll be 29 in two weeks but my inner child is easily sold to well done funny 3d animated cartoons/movies. Love the simple idea behind this and how well it's executed. Not sure if it's still on TV in Korea or if they're still producing new stuff, anyway there you go with season 1:

(If you despise cartoon series with incredibly short episodes, "dumb" plots and a share of toilet humor just skip it...)

There's hours of more stuff on their channel incl. seasons 2 + 3...

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 2:28 pm 

Not sure about new stuff but it's at least in massive syndication and heavy merchandising still. I don't see it going away anytime soon, considering Korea's anti-Japanese nationalism and the fact that this is the first real huge hit homegrown animation that I even know of out of Korea.

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 6:23 pm 

volutetheswarth wrote:
Yeah that HarmonQuest is pretty unfunny. Do you have to be a role playing nerd to find it funny?

It helps, but it's obvious that Harmon is best at writing jokes instead of working on the fly.
Quote:
Community is ok, not exactly brimming with laughs but maybe because it's the pilot and they're establishing characters.

Aye. S2 is when I got really hooked, but S1 forms the core cast.

darkeningday wrote:
I haven't saw any of the Seen movies.

HellBlazer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 6:40 pm 

shouvince wrote:
Has anyone watched the new show called Legion? I watched it when I was a bit drowsy but all I can is that it was a clusterfuck of an hour. I mean it in a good way. The characters look interesting and the visuals are stunning. I feel the plot might get a little predictable with the whole 'us versus them' story-line. Let's see how they take it forward.

Yeah man, that was a crazy premiere, but I thought it was really good. Hopefully they keep that tone throughout and it doesn't turn into a more standard superhero-ish thing. Definitely not what you'd expect from a show based on an X-Men character, and very very different from any other Marvel show (and not part of the MCU anyway).

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 8:39 pm 

The Thaw was a 45 minute love letter to Fellini and fans of Fellini. Since he's my second favorite Italian director behind De Sica, that's probably why I loved it so much. I dunno, maybe it's also that it was not complete dogshit in a season of almost entirely complete dogshit, so that's why I liked it. Same goes for Cold Fire.

Yeah, Meld was good, and it has effects that come to fruition later, iirc.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

volutetheswarth

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 8:57 pm 

acid_bukkake wrote:
but it's obvious that Harmon is best at writing jokes instead of working on the fly.
It's pretty apparent. It's like where there is a punchline, it's mostly just dry descriptions which would be funny for him but hardly for others.

Yeah I'm willing to set aside a couple seasons of Community, especially with episodes only being 30 minutes. Curb/Arrested Development didn't get funny until later.

volutetheswarth

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 8:58 pm 

acid_bukkake wrote:
but it's obvious that Harmon is best at writing jokes instead of working on the fly.
It's pretty apparent. Where there is a punchline, it's mostly just dry descriptions which would be funny for him but hardly others.

Yeah I'm willing to set aside a couple seasons of Community, especially with episodes only being 30 minutes. Curb/Arrested Development didn't get funny until later.

Erotetic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:53 pm 

volutetheswarth wrote:

I'm up to season 4. still no laughs, but it passes the time

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 3:26 am 

darkeningday wrote:
Yeah, Meld was good, and it has effects that come to fruition later, iirc.

Yep:

Just watched the S2 finale/S3 opener where Suder (Dourif) winds up taking out a bunch of Kazon dudes to help the Voyager crew take the ship back from them. Good ending for his character's little mini-arc, and I'm happy that Seska's dead as this is hopefully a sign of a much-needed change in direction for the show

That's another thing that bothered me a lot about the show so far: the whole plot is that Voyager is going to be flying distances that are absolutely insane for any ship belonging to any civilization with similar levels of tech. In previous Treks, we do get a decent feel for the size of Federation space when we hear about it taking a few weeks to travel between distant parts of it, and we also get the impression that compared to similarly advanced civilizations, the Federation can probably count itself as one of the larger ones territory-wise as it's got hundreds of worlds.

So basically it just makes no sense that they'd continue to have encounters with Kazon over the course of what, a year? I think that's about how much time has elapsed since the end of S2 anyway. I mean, the Kazons are weak enough that a single Federation starship and its tech are seen as a big advantage in any sort of infighting between the sects, so it just doesn't make sense to me that a ship traveling for a year at warp speeds would somehow still be in/near Kazon territory after all this time.

That, plus all of my previous complaints about the Kazon being lame as enemies, make me excited to see how things change in S3, but first I'll watch this Travelers show I've heard good things about.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 5:19 am 

iamntbatman wrote:
but first I'll watch this Travelers show I've heard good things about.

Oh, definitely give it a try. It was one of the pleasant surprises last year. I was kind of expecting some mediocre, cliche-plagued sci-fi show, but what it actually turned out to be was a show that does clever and interesting things with its premise and characters (just, as per usual with these things, don't think too hard about the logic of the time travel stuff).

volutetheswarth

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:43 am 

So 'Rock in the Road' was fairly shit.
Rick did his usual dialogue of "we need more people", "we need your help", etc, and King Biblical Reference was all "na-uh, It with great wisdom I decline your offer" (despite clear convincing evidence to support Rick's plan). Rosita was just an arsehole to people for no reason, Gregory was a shameless douchebag and got away with it, Jesus was all Jesusy (he'll be crucified soon to cement the caricature that is his character), mumbling autistic hillbilly wasn't there this time which was a plus, Daryl was probably the most relatable the entire episode because he said things normal people not in a so-so comic-book would say. There was a scene where Aaron talked to his partner which we've barely seen to signify caring about his opinion. They shoehorned in zombies with some elaborate bomb trap because need that zombie quota, and Rosita dismantled it because she's military and she can do that apparently. Rick's group ran into some new group with weapons and that was left on a 20 second daytime soap cliffhanger.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:16 am 

I thought it was a really good episode. Fun to watch and it had a lot of momentum and different parts to it. Pretty much what I want from the show at this point.

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:01 am 

This Is Us is the definition of white bread, milquetoast, neoliberal garbage in television form. It's a shame the guy behind it gave us Crazy, Stupid Love, because that movie is great and this show is fucking shit.

darkeningday wrote:

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:56 am 

Travelers is...ok.

I liked the first episode a lot until the very end. It was all pretty subtle plotting and stuff, I thought, real sense of mystery, but then right at the end of that first episode it was like, BOOM, exposition bomb. The second episode also just felt a bit cheesy and too...TV-like, I guess. It kind of reminded me of the less-than-stellar parts of Orphan Black or something. Not really much attention paid to details that would've helped establish believability and immersion that are pretty essential for really selling a story like this in a convincing way.
It's not awful or anything, just kind of okay fun I guess, but far from revelatory.

severzhavnost
Something Stupid

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 4:23 pm 

Azmodes & darkeningday: "The Thaw"? The star of the show was a literal ass-clown. 'nuff said.

batman: The seemingly implausible extent of space controlled by a people as primitive as the Kazon, makes sense when you understand them more as various bands of pirates rather than an actual space empire. As a whole, the Kazon could have been a more interesting adversary if the story behind "Alliances" was explored better. Instead, they were just one-dimensional brutes until that episode tried to explain/excuse all that with the quickly concocted (and abandoned) Trabe. Missed opportunities...
It’s so powerful that your stomachs will damn.
Bulgogi Kimchi Bibimbap waffle burger! Holy shit! litterally shit!

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 5:25 pm 

Out of curiousity, how many Fellini films have you seen?
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 6:54 pm 

Maybe it's just me, but I liked HarmonQuest a lot. More for the general sense of lighthearted fun than the laugh out loud humor, though.
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

MetallicaTrueFan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 7:29 pm 

Catching up on my Marvel. Gonna finish off Daredevil then go onto Luke Cage, finish SHIELD and then go onto Iron Fist and The Defenders. Still it is hard for them to top Jessica Jones... such a good show, especially the villain... I don't think they will ever top that psycho Kilgrave.

severzhavnost
Something Stupid

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:41 pm 

darkeningday wrote:
Out of curiousity, how many Fellini films have you seen?

The soccer player with the big hair? I didn't know he made films.
It’s so powerful that your stomachs will damn.
Bulgogi Kimchi Bibimbap waffle burger! Holy shit! litterally shit!

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 5:41 am 

Never heard of this Fellini guy.

severzhavnost wrote:
Azmodes & darkeningday: "The Thaw"? The star of the show was a literal ass-clown. 'nuff said.

Yeah and he ruled. My enjoyment of the episode didn't revolve entirely around that character, though.

bats: I get the thing about it being "TV-like". Still, I think it's above average as far as recent sci-fi shows go and there will be more details as things progress.

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 5:24 am 

HellBlazer wrote:
shouvince wrote:

Yeah man, that was a crazy premiere, but I thought it was really good. Hopefully they keep that tone throughout and it doesn't turn into a more standard superhero-ish thing. Definitely not what you'd expect from a show based on an X-Men character, and very very different from any other Marvel show (and not part of the MCU anyway).

Yup, luckily it doesn't seem to be turning into a cliched superhero series. Only the second episode so we're still in the buildup phase. I found the second episode even more ludicrous. I reckon it'll require another watch.

In other news, Silicon Valley's S4 trailer is out - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8sCCf82Nf8 The show returns on April 23rd. Stoked.

volutetheswarth

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 5:32 pm 

I don't know if it's because I've got an insanely high standard for tv but I thought the first episode of The Expanse was boring as shit. There was like 40% shots of ships taking off with a dashing of nudity/sex scenes. Mostly vague shots of things like a torture I'm sure we'll learn more about but mostly just ho-hum "oh she's evil", "yada yada, what side do you stand on, brother?". Also I must mention the ships again, because there was a lot of establishing space shots, which gets boring really quick. I don't fucking care about these grandiose CG dolly shots, Michael Bay probably, not me. It barely even had a story beyond the opening text, just meandering chatter and oh this guy is good, this person is bad, guy nonchalantly gets his arm taken off but it's the future so who cares. The sheer abundance of forcefully establishing future tech and things was ridiculous too, let we get it - it's the future, moving on please.

Now I'm willing to bet there's promise beyond episode one, but also I'm pretty sure a pilot episode or first of anything should be grabbing my attention somewhat. True Detective first episode certainly got my fucking attention, Stranger Things blew me away, Game of Thrones was very interesting with grounded fantasy and I felt part of the world within minutes, say what you will about later The Walking Dead but the first episode was something special for TV and the zombie world portrayed on TV, Dexter and The Night Of also made me really engrossed and intrigued. Am I missing something or do people have a higher tolerance for so-so tv compared to films?

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 5:34 pm 

You're missing something, alright.

volutetheswarth

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 5:38 pm 

Your music sucks arse, Rexxz. You'll never be Perturbator.

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 5:39 pm 

That was the worst attempt at a comeback I've ever seen :lol:

Here's me after that riveting shocker:

Besides, you set yourself up for that one!

volutetheswarth

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 5:45 pm 

Nah, it's more like you being an unnecessary dick like you usually are.

Impressive attempt at a comeback by using a gif like a 14 year old, broski. I'm so defeated.

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 5:47 pm 

I was just giving you a friendly ribbing based off of something you had actually said because I thought the phrase was comedic. Relax, Mick Dundee. You're the one that went all personal and weird over a shitty little comment (being an unnecessary dick like you usually are), always demonstrating your ability to get riled up over nothing.

The Expanse is awesome, btw.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 6:17 pm 

You guys are acting like fucking kids. Rexxz, stop shitposting shitty one liners, volute, don't be a dick. Ok? Thanks.

Can't wait for Silicon Valley to restart, it just makes me sad that it's only 10 episodes per season. Fucking Jared, this guy fucks!

I've been enjoying (somewhat) Riverdale even though it's clearly bad. It's played super big, people are super sexy, it's cliché but... I can't stop watching. I did watch the entire Gilmore Girls series in like 3 months so it's nothing new but eh!

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 7:27 pm 

volutetheswarth wrote:
Nah, it's more like you being an unnecessary dick like you usually are.

Says the guy who posted this after an innocuous disagreement over a TV show

volutetheswarth wrote:
Your music sucks arse, Rexxz. You'll never be Perturbator.

I mean c'mon

Metantoine wrote:
You guys are acting like fucking kids. Rexxz, stop shitposting shitty one liners, volute, don't be a dick. Ok? Thanks.

Co-signed

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Dungeon_Vic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:22 am 

I like The Expanse. It's not awesome but most sci-fi fans would probably like it. Better than Colony (which I insist is not that bad).

Vic's Dungeon - Remember the Fallen:
Jeff Hanneman: Evil Notes and Sad Riffs
Chuck Schuldiner (Death)
Paul Baloff (Exodus)
Holy Terror and Keith Deen
Roger Patterson (Atheist)

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:44 pm 

I think it's pretty damn good. And it's only gotten better for the second season, judging from the first few episodes out right now.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:23 pm 

It's funny how people's attitudes toward TV shows have changed over the years. Star Trek: TNG is generally regarded as a classic by most, including me, yet it was hot garbage in season 1, season 2 was maybe 50/50, and it didn't reach its peak until seasons 3-5 or so. It took two years and over 50 episodes to become what we remember it as today. Yet these days, we have so much quality TV to go around, and a show's lifespan is so much shorter, that we dismiss entire series based on the first couple of episodes.

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:35 pm 

Yeah TNG has some real snorefests in the first couple of seasons but I still find a lot to like from it. It's definitely not as dynamic or interesting as the latter material.

acid_bukkake
SAD!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:28 pm 

failsafeman wrote:
Yet these days, we have so much quality TV to go around, and a show's lifespan is so much shorter, that we dismiss entire series based on the first couple of episodes.

That bold part (emphasis mine) is why the second half of this statement happens. Why should I spend 5-6 hours (or far more) of my life waiting for a show to finally be watchable when there are other shows that don't take as long to become interesting? Then you have to figure in how the consumption of programming is intended (shows pre and post binge era), because some shows work best on a week-by-week basis and others are meant to be watched season by season.

That's another feather in Justified's cap to me. You can watch it and wait a week or binge it all at once with the show's quality standing through it all.

darkeningday wrote:

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:47 pm 

I know that's why the second half of this statement happens, that's why I said the first half too and put them right next to each other :lol: My point was that, using today's watching habits, practically nobody would ever actually keep going with TNG, even though it's one of the best sci-fi shows ever made. While I haven't seen every sci-fi show made int he last 5 years, of the ones I have, none of them have really come close to TNG.

One thing I definitely do prefer about modern shows however is the reduction in season lengths - 26 episodes every season is just an insane number and practically no show managed to keep up the quality level for long. I bet you could make a lot of older shows a lot better if you cut each season down to 12 episodes and kept only the best.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:41 pm 

The Expanse isn't like, as well acted as HBO shows or anything, but for scifi it's excellent. Grit and realism and character/world depth is most appreciated in the genre right now. You can tell it's based off a book series with the way things are fleshed out and the way things unfold in a sensible way. The Creole accents among the Belters for example is something that a lot of lower tiered scifi shows of the past decade wouldn't even think to include. It's small things like that (which point to a bigger and deeper world with actual realistic geopolitics and whatnot), plus decent/serviceable acting (it varies, some characters are really well acted, some are okay), great cinematography, decent writing and overall plot/intrigue (underpinned by the books), etc.
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 112, 113, 114, 115, 116, 117, 118 ... 182  Next