Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Det_Morkettall
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:49 am 

Dexter ended on a really lackluster note. Damn, Morrigan was kinda right about how the series would end up.

Lol

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:26 am 

Det_Morkettall wrote:
Dexter ended on a really lackluster note. Damn, Morrigan was kinda right about how the series would end up.

It's still got one more season.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 3:14 am 

Started watching Black Books and thoroughly enjoy it. Dylan Moran is great as always. It's too bad that it only went 3 seasons, but I can appreciate quitting while they were ahead.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 3:38 pm 

Just started season 3 of Peep Show. This show breeds that familiar, terrible feeling of dread where, the instant anyone seems to be beginning to have something approaching a genuinely good time, they're inexorably damned, within minutes, if not immediately, to descend into a shameful, self-inflicted emotional mauling. It's like comedic PTSD.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 3:47 pm 

It's an amazing show. It really has lost so much steam these days. Season 8 is very hit and miss and it feels like it's treading water.

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 4:47 pm 

So there's relatively a lot of time on hand...and I'm planning to start watching a new series. My sister recommended me to watch 'Suits' http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1632701
Anyone else seen this show or think it's worth a look?

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 7:01 pm 

Necroticism174 wrote:
It's an amazing show. It really has lost so much steam these days. Season 8 is very hit and miss and it feels like it's treading water.

Really? I thought the latest episode (penned by the amazing Simon Blackwell, author of the God-like "wank bullet" episode) was one of the best of the entire series...

But maybe it's just my fanboy blinders and the fact that I've been without new episodes for over two years...

That said, the latest season of Fresh Meat (Peep Show creator's other show) was probably a bit better, though I'm not sure they're entirely comparable.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 7:21 pm 

Eh, I thought it was decent mostly for it's brilliant Super Hans moments (same thing for the paintball episode). I feel like they should just throw some curveballs in, you know? It's very predictable now. I thought the episode where Mark is going to get his book published and Jez is the voice of reason was interesting. I think the life coaching thing is definitely funny though. All that said, I marathoned it and didn't go without new episodes for long so perhaps I'm more sensitive to the quality drop.

DeathRiderDoom
Pro Sports Warder

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 7:26 pm 

I enjoyed the first and most recent episodes the best thus far.

Calusari
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 7:33 am 

Necroticism174 wrote:
Started watching Black Books and thoroughly enjoy it. Dylan Moran is great as always. It's too bad that it only went 3 seasons, but I can appreciate quitting while they were ahead.

One of my favourite comedy shows of all time. It's one of those series where everything just works together perfectly - the outlandish plots, the stunning dialogue, all performances... They created a glorious little world there; I'd love to visit. Or to, you know, find Bernard Black and make him mine forever, dammit! :love: :oh shit: Anyway. Ahem. Never mind. Great stuff.

Twin_guitar_attack
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 3:58 pm 

How I met your mother has been recommisioned for a series 9. Fucks sake, it's been shit for years now, but I've watched it so long I want to see the end. Definite decline after series 5.

I fucking love Peep Show. I think the best episode is probably the one where Jeremy locks Mark in his room to have a mushroom party. When Johnson gets there "Is that...normal pooing your doing Mark? It doesn't sound normal...It doesn't smell normal" that line cracks me up every time.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:42 pm 

The latest episode of Peep Show, penned by Fresh Meat writer Tom Basden, was a motherfuckin' corker. Jus' sayin'.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

Twin_guitar_attack
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 8:27 am 

The last one of series 8 last night was great. Rarely have I hated Jeremy more.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 2:34 pm 

Just watched it. A classic for sure. This series has definitely been better than the last, though I'm not quite sure it tops the excellence of series 6.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 2:41 pm 

Haha yeah, the bit with the electrified fence was gold. Also the part where Jez is taking about living with Hans and all those snakes.

DeathRiderDoom
Pro Sports Warder

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 5:41 pm 

WHere the hell did all these Peep Show fans come from, seriously? Where were all you guys 6 years ago? Every time i mentioned this show i used to get blank stares, now it seems people have finally caught on to the brilliance of this show? I've long considered it "upper tier sitcom", up there with the Workaholics, IASIPs, Curbs, Seins, I'm Alan Partridges of the comedy TV world.

The latest series has been hit or miss, but i'm loving some of the developments. Jeremy as fucking fly by night life coach is hilarious. Why does Gale hate Mark so much? I can't remember. Didn't he get busted urinating in the food at her restaurant? I guess that must be it. She didn't blame him for Jez banging Elena did she? Somehow? Seems like something Corrigan would get busted for. I think they need to have an appearance by Mark's dad again, srsly.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 5:54 pm 

Well, I started talking about it a lot in here a while back and all the fans came out of the woodworks. I take full credit :-D

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 6:20 pm 

I mean, I've sorta been sounding off about it for the past two years or so, but know one pays attention to me anyway. :grumble:

The more practical reason is that all but the most recent season of the show is available on the American Netflix, Hulu Plus and Hulu Free, so its finally getting the exposure it so richly deserves.

Twin_guitar_attack
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:22 am 

I started watching it a few months before S7 came out, and had seen and enjoyed a few episodes on the tellybox before that.

DeathRiderDoom
Pro Sports Warder

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 4:33 pm 

I really need to pick back up on Oz and Deadwood. Last time i watched Oz musta been a year ago i think i'm in season 3 or something, and Deadwood probably about the same amount of time or longer, and i never got past episode 4 or so.

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 4:36 pm 

So, what's the general consensus on Community around here?

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 4:39 pm 

I watched the pilot and thought it was okay, but was trying too hard to be witty sometimes. In the end there was nothing that compelled me to watch the next episode.

metaldiscussor666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 4:47 pm 

When it comes to television I am 100% casual. Previously I would only tune into investigation discovery, because it has consistent programming. That channel got old after a while because their program would vary in interest, show to show. Sometimes it would be a twisted murder case, sometimes it would be an interview of the (often obnoxious) actual people involved in the event. Strangely I've never seen more people talk about their faith in the context of a television show. So I dropped investigation discovery all together; now I only watch HGTV (the home and garden television channel). Eh. When I turn on the TV, it's usually because I just want something to watch. That's why HGTV is so great. There's always interesting programming on, and I don't have to worry about being annoyed or disappointed in what I get. Cause it's always the same.

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:02 pm 

Azmodes wrote:
I watched the pilot and thought it was okay, but was trying too hard to be witty sometimes. In the end there was nothing that compelled me to watch the next episode.

It's gets better later on when they just stopped caring about any kind of character and story progression and started to churn out one batshit crazy episode after another. Read: Abed.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:05 pm 

It's a completely bland, middle of the road sitcom made watchable by the eye candy female characters. Fine to watch when there's nothing on. I've seem about 10 episodes and never more than chuckled.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:07 pm 

Necroticism174 wrote:
made watchable by the eye candy female characters

Like Mrs. Campbell, for example? <3

DeathRiderDoom
Pro Sports Warder

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:16 pm 

re: Community:
It has some moments, but it's pretty cutesy and mainstream. At times watchable, at others unbearable. Definitely not top tier stuff. Doesn't feel that original, or smart.

Alison Brie though <3 :love:

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:21 pm 

You guys are killing me!

I'm more of a Gillian Jacobs fan, though. :-P

Metal_Detector
Reticular Modular Unit

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:00 pm 

DeathRiderDoom wrote:
Alison Brie though <3 :love:

Yum.

Anyway, I don't get y'all's problem with the show. I think it's great. It started off fairly slow (season one is mostly mediocre), but the last couple seasons have been a joy to watch. Occasionally they just lose their minds, though.

DeathRiderDoom
Pro Sports Warder

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:07 pm 

^ honestly sometimes it does seem okay, but there are a lot of flaws. Parks & Rec suffers from similar problems but overall it benefits from a better cast and a bit more originality. That's one of the problems with Community: the cast sucks. Chevy Chase is a talented guy, but his character isn't that great - they don't use him to his potential. Alison Brie is gorgeous, and pretty talented. Apart from that: everyone sucks. Britta is awful, and the actor sucks - completely unmemorable, that sassy black woman sucks - as do all characters in that vein. Abed, and his "pop culture" references suck. "Oooh, i just mentioned Pulp Fiction" how fucking original, and up-with-the-play i am. The Asian dude can be amusing, but in a very lowbrow way. I figure if they had the talented actors of something like Parks & Rec, it could be better. Rob Lowe, Adam Scott, Rasheeda Jones et al are just a better crop.

Metal_Detector
Reticular Modular Unit

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:11 pm 

Yeah, I can't argue too much with anything in that post. Honestly, sometimes some of the characters are little more than "present" in the show, but I think it overcomes its limitations. Parks & Rec is my favorite comedy on TV, so I definitely agree that it's better.

Calusari
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:38 am 

I'd definitely agree with what most people have said about Community; it's mediocre at best, and the characters really begin to grate after a while. It just tries too damn hard, and every 'clever' thing they try to do (which generally comes across as someone who doesn't really know what they're doing desperately trying to impress the audience that they hope will get the references) reduces everything and everyone to mere ciphers. Parks & Rec, while not my favourite show, is in a different league altogether; the writers and actors there seem to know how to use their characters' typical traits to generate comedy without reducing them to mere caricatures.

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:59 am 

Azmodes wrote:
Necroticism174 wrote:
made watchable by the eye candy female characters

Like Mrs. Campbell, for example? <3

Yeah, she caught my eye as well.

Truth be told, one of the reasons why I still watch that shit Arrow series is because of Willa Holland and Jessica De Gouw

Erdrickgr
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:07 pm 

I got season 1 and 2 of The Walking Dead for Christmas... hopefully that will keep me from going crazy while I wait for February...

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:12 am 

Secret Diary of a Call Girl is completely horrible in every way but I will watch the living shit out of it from beginning to end.

Det_Morkettall
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:18 am 

I'm thinking of picking back up on the Walking Dead. Also, just started on Boardwalk Empire during my flight to PA, and oh-my-god: what a show!

Lol

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:07 am 

Finally went back through and finished The Wire. Though I think it's probably somewhat overrated, it is definitely a good and worthwhile series. A part of me bucks at the "BEST SHOW EVER" descriptor because it just seems sort of hyperbolic, but in a way I can see why that idea might be bandied around because the scope of content in the show is uncommonly large and all the various social/cultural/political/institutional aspects are maturely and tastefully portrayed. The series manages to cover quite a lot of ground without committing any major missteps. The writing and directing are pretty damn good.

For the weak points, I'd have to say the series is pulled down a bit by a feeling of hollowness or unbelievability in the cops' personal lives and some patches of mediocre acting. I also could definitely say that I never quite felt invested in the various characters' struggles... for the most part I saw the series through more out of a sense of curiosity to see where it would all lead rather than any real sense of engagement or care for anyone's story. Some characters were excellent and vivid, others rather dull. I definitely felt a bit detached from it all, but then it is a very "big picture" type of work in the end, so maybe that's not all that much of a negative.

Mmm, I dunno... it's a very respectable show and obviously praiseworthy, but for some reason I could never get very excited about it.

Just tried to start watching the original Danish version of The Killing and turned it off after three episodes. Could definitely smell a huge waste of time coming there.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:35 am 

Did you watch the entire series, or just the entire season 1? Sorry I forgot how far you had gotten ahead. Anyway, I can respect your opinion about not finding it that personally engaging, at least you acknowledge its strengths. :) I'm baffled by the mediocre acting bit though, any examples?

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:17 am 

No, I watched the whole thing ;) Haha.

Mediocre acting... eh, Daniels wasn't ever particularly convincing, Carcetti wavered a lot into bad line readings, Kima had a lot of currents of blandness, Ziggy sucked in general (though he was just a retarded character, fuck him), some of the minor cop characters that came in and out of the wiretap unit were just really flat (can't remember their names offhand), Burrell was fairly weak, Walon sucked, and last but definitely not least, Col. Foerster was fucking laughable in basically every scene he entered.

Show's got some awesome sleazeballs... Clay Davis and Maurice Levy are grade-A pieces of shit.

Omar's awesome, of course, and while his story's ending was compellingly unexpected, I also found it a bit hard to swallow.

Another thing that sat oddly was McNulty's reputation, both for being an outrageous asshole of unbelievable proportions and for being some sort of ladykiller. Never believed he was either of those things.

Last edited by Under_Starmere on Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
ObservationSlave
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:19 am 

Since I am in collge I don't really have time to commit to avidly watching particular TV shows. I could buy the seasons on DVD or get netflix, but I prefer not to spend any money. Because of this my TV watching is generally limited to football and comedy central. The only times I make sure to watch TV is for patriots games and Wednesday nights from 10-12. That time slot includes South Park, Key and Peele, Jon Stewart, and Stephen Colbert. These have become the only shows I watch somewhat regularly, but for some strange reason I find these 2 hours of the week to be some of the best. My friends and I gather together and order food.

I have to say that South Park is still as funny as it ever was and this past season did not disappoint. Key and Peele seems to be relatively unknown to most people, but I find them hilarious. I think that they are both very creative and also great actors. I also love hearing Stewart and Colbert's takes on current events, and to be honest I would probably vote for either of them for President if they actually ran.

I find sitcoms incredibly unfunny and unoriginal and fail to see how people still watch them. I could go through a season of a show like How I Met Your Mother or the Big Bang Theory without a single laugh. The complete lack of cleverness in the comedy really turns me away.

The one show I keep up with on my laptop is Jimmy Kimmel Live. I find Jimmy very funny, and I like how he acts very impartial in his delivery of the news and is very quick in his comedy. To be honest, probably have of my current event knowledge comes from him, Stewart, and Colbert.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31 ... 182  Next