Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Erotetic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 4:19 am 

Azmodes wrote:
Well, the implication was that he wouldn't be watching The Expanse because of the shared genre tag. But that's like saying you won't bother with The Thing because you didn't like 2001: A Space Odyssey. Good on you, but there is really no basis for comparison except the most superficial genre similarities.

Been starting to watch Hand of God with the great Ron Perlman. Two episodes in, interesting concept and quite good so far.

correct.

if the only sci-fi I had ever seen was 2001 I might well think holy fuck that was so excruciating I don't even want to risk trying another movie that might be like that.

Lost fucked me off, The Leftovers fucked me off, no more shitty "mystery" melodramas for me.

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 8:47 am 

Erotetic wrote:
Azmodes wrote:
Well, the implication was that he wouldn't be watching The Expanse because of the shared genre tag. But that's like saying you won't bother with The Thing because you didn't like 2001: A Space Odyssey. Good on you, but there is really no basis for comparison except the most superficial genre similarities.

Been starting to watch Hand of God with the great Ron Perlman. Two episodes in, interesting concept and quite good so far.

correct.

if the only sci-fi I had ever seen was 2001 I might well think holy fuck that was so excruciating I don't even want to risk trying another movie that might be like that.

Lost fucked me off, The Leftovers fucked me off, no more shitty "mystery" melodramas for me.

Around the time Lost was on, Terminator SCC was on too and Fox really fucked that show over. It had good ratings, then they moved it to Friday nights, with a boring mid season, but ending with a huge cliffhanger. I was probably more pissed about them cancelling that, then the ending of Lost.

Erotetic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 4:24 pm 

aaronmb666 wrote:
Terminator SCC ... ending with a huge cliffhanger.

yea, I vaguely remember being interested in the next season and disappointed it never came about. then I see there's this new movie out (Genysis), FFS.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 7:23 pm 

Erotetic wrote:
correct.

Oh, so you're just really dumb. Okay then.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Erotetic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 7:17 am 

Morrigan wrote:
Erotetic wrote:
correct.

Oh, so you're just really dumb. Okay then.

yep, that's it.

how many trance songs should I need to hear before I know I don't want to bother with trance ever again?

shouvince
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 7:24 am 

Erotetic wrote:
shouvince wrote:
I recently jumped on to the 'Rick and Morty' bandwagon and I can easily say it's the best decision of the year so far! I'm only mid-way through season 1 and I love it. The writing is ingenious.

when you're done, you might enjoy this (contains lots of spoilers)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWFDHynfl1E

Ohh yeah I saw this on reddit as well. I started watching it but figured there would be season 2 spoilers so I've decided to watch it when I complete S2. S1 was fantastic. I'm at loss for words at how creative and deep their references can get. That said, I'm sure this youtube video on the show's philosophy will be very entertaining and in line with what I already feel about the show.

~Guest 21181
The Great Fearmonger

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:30 pm 

This is what the X-Files has become:

Ugh. Comedy X-Files was the worst X-Files almost without exception. I haven't seen the new series yet but seriously, how did the producers watch that and not cringe? It looks like a Jimmy Kimmel sketch.

severzhavnost
Something Stupid

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 4:01 pm 

Earthcubed, I sort of agree. If this new X-Files has only six episodes, it's terrible to waste one on a goof episode that does nothing to advance the story arc. If there is one. On the other hand, that Aussie-accented lizard dude was hilarious. "I'm gonna kill you now. Are you ready?" :lol: Also, who doesn't share his daydream about gettin' it on with Gillian Anderson?

But yeah... 16% of the miniseries accomplishes nothing. That's sad. (Unless, they've already been extended beyond the six-show trial run but are just keeping it secret to make viewers think "we have to watch all of it, in case that's all we get" :tinfoil:)
It’s so powerful that your stomachs will damn.
Bulgogi Kimchi Bibimbap waffle burger! Holy shit! litterally shit!

newp
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 4:17 pm 

^You guys are both daft! Though for different reasons.

a) Like many fans, I specifically wanted monster of the week episodes and not just a bunch of mythology stuff. Which, lets be frank, went completely off the rails in the last 3 seasons. 2 episodes that focus on the mytharc and 4 standalone episodes is a fine balance. And b) the ability of the show to incorporate many different tones and moods is a big part of what made it so special! Some of the episodes that brought in comedy and elements of the absurd were among the best they made- Jose Chung’s From Outer Space, Bad Blood, Clyde Bruckman's Final Repose. Jeeeezus!

That said, the new X-Files has only been okay so far. They tried to pack too much into the first two episodes, and the first especially just felt flat and disappointing. It’s nice to see Smulder on screen again though, and from what I’ve heard episode 3 has the potential to be much better. Pretty stoked to see Rhys Darby playing the monster.

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 4:30 pm 

Yeah that monster of the week was good by me. Plus
Spoiler: show
that bit at the end that renewed Mulder's faith in the unknown.

I agree that the first two episodes were way too much way too fast and I'm glad they toned it down a bit. I didn't really want a mini series in the same vein as the last 7 seasons of X Files. We got it already; alien conspiracy. Let's do something different now, and hopefully they will if the show moves past these six episodes.

Azmodes wrote:
It combines two of my favourite things: penis innuendo and derigin.

~Guest 118084
With a 120kbps bitrate!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 4:37 pm 

I'm waiting for the new seasons of Bates Motel and Masters of Sex. Any thoughts on these shows?

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 6:28 pm 

Erotetic wrote:
yep, that's it.

how many trance songs should I need to hear before I know I don't want to bother with trance ever again?

Walk, by Pantera, is a shitty song.

Metal sucks. I never want to hear any more metal ever again.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 6:59 pm 

Morrigan wrote:

I completely agree.

Continuing with Daredevil S01, round 2:
Dear diary. After episode 4, the narrative and the cinematography both get washed out. Just kind of sitting here waiting for more fighting and more Fisk. Again. This happened last time at exactly the same point. The strong start's momentum gets washed away with Anatoly's head chum. Lawyer Murdock is out the window, Foggy is pinballing around pointlessly, and the psychological handling of anyone but Fisk is standard as hell. This is why I started doing chores last time. I had forgotten about that.

Foggy's whole story line fucking sucks. Not only does the actor *playing* Foggy suck, an unrequited crush and a candle light dinner with the handy-man-to-the-rescue is garbage as far as emotional lures go. You want me to feel sorry for him (or more importantly, give a shit whether he's even in the show at all), put the focus on the deterioration of his friendship with his best friend, getting consistently passed over, ignored, and dismissed while Murdock gathers toward a crisis while sprinting toward his futile, masochistic obsession, becoming an increasingly distant asshole. Foggy, when you think about it, is basically Sam Gamgee. I wish they had followed that model and given Foggy something to do other than be a career blue-baller. Like .. notice that his best friend is having problems. How about that?

Fighting is still good though. I know things'll pick up, but these few episodes in the middle are weak compared to the first four.

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:54 pm 

Grave_Wyrm wrote:
Fighting is still good though. I know things'll pick up, but these few episodes in the middle are weak compared to the first four.

Don't forget you still have Caucasian Ninja Master™ and Masked Ninja CEO™ to look forward to.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:43 pm 

Yeah, comedy X-Files rules, get outta here! I'm looking forward to watching all six episodes once it's through. I basically have really high hopes for it; even if they totally botch fuckin' everything you could imagine about it, it would be literally impossible for them to ruin the charisma and chemistry of the two leads, so I know beyond a shadow of a doubt I'll at least have that to look forward to.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

volutetheswarth
Our Lady of Perpetual Butthurt

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 1:04 am 

Comedy x-files was bad, but more so with Millennium because that was never mildy humourous in it's standard setting like The X-Files and Mulder. Comedy episodes on Millennium minus "Somehow, Satan Got Behind Me" were entirely not funny, self-contained/nonessential and very skip-able. Although If I had to choose between comedy and preachy religious episodes... That reminds me of Mysterious Ways, what a big steaming pile of horseshit.

Erotetic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 11:41 am 

Morrigan wrote:
Erotetic wrote:
yep, that's it.

Walk, by Pantera, is a shitty song.

I didn't swear off all TV. you'd be more accurate to swear off thrash metal on that basis (I've done the same thing -- get people to name me the greatest thrash/punk/country/trance/whatever songs, and if I can't even find _one_ that I enjoy, I figure it's just a bad investment to persist any further, it's clearly just not for me)

severzhavnost
Something Stupid

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 4:45 pm 

I think I watched Mysterious Ways... Was that the show with the guy whose time-travelling cat fetched him tomorrow's newspaper, so he used that to go out and rescue people who would die, before ot happened? That was a fun show.
It’s so powerful that your stomachs will damn.
Bulgogi Kimchi Bibimbap waffle burger! Holy shit! litterally shit!

metroplex
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 4:45 pm 

Comedy X-Files were the highest rated episodes by fans (along with the first mythology episodes). They are awesome so gtfo.

volutetheswarth
Our Lady of Perpetual Butthurt

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 6:34 pm 

metroplex wrote:
Comedy X-Files were the highest rated episodes by fans (along with the first mythology episodes). They are awesome so gtfo.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 3:58 am 

So, I'm finally watching Vikings. HellBlazer and I binge watched S1 and 2 not long ago, and now started S3, about halfway through.

Is it just me or is the quality dipping somewhat? It's still good but I feel S3 has been a bit lackluster at times. [S3 spoilers, up to episode "Born Again"]
First, the Wanderer shit that just came out of nowhere. They seem to lay down the supernatural stuff a bit more thick this time around huh? Before it was usually ambiguous, perhaps explained by coincidence, or superstition-fuelled hallucinations, or something, but the three women dreaming of the dude, and he just shows up and works miracles, and then poor Siggy dies just like that. WTF? :(

I'm a bit annoyed that suddenly no one cares about Lagertha anymore. After all she did for Ragnar, he just goes "ehhh whatever" and shrugs and even openly allies himself with her enemies?

And more annoyingly, the recent episode "Born Again". I thought it was, frankly, kind of bad. Athelstan's re-conversion was horribly forced. If he had witnessed, say, something that could be interpreted as a "miracle", or something really powerful and impressive... but what, he saw a beam of light through his door? And now he's all a big Jesus freak again, to the point of throwing that bracelet in the river? Are you fucking kidding me? He was such a far more interesting character when he was conflicted, torn between both worlds. "I love Odin. And I love Jesus Christ" was just a perfect summary of the character but they threw that away in the stupidest, most banal way. Really disappointing. :( That said I thought his "funeral" moment with Ragnar was relatively well done, but the whole thing just soured me.

I thought Siggy and Athelstan were some of the most interesting characters of the cast, and I don't mind so much that they died, only that they got the deaths they did. They deserved better send-offs than that... :nono:

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 8:32 pm 

Nothing to argue about in that spoiler tag. I thought S2 was phenomenal and while S3 was still good, it wasn't *quite* as good, I guess mainly because the pleasant surprise of the increased production values for the battle scenes that came with S2 had kind of wore off by then, and yeah, the way some of the plot elements were handled weren't as satisfying to me as I was hoping they would be. I'm still excited for S4 though.

Erosion of Humanity
Destroyer of the Gods

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 8:36 pm 

I just finished rewatching Scrubs and it solidified its place as my all time favorite show. I used to hate Bill Lawrence for the way season 8 ended (which was supposed to be the original end of the series) when it originally aired but now that I watch it again it's just perfect. The way all the characters act is just perfect for their history and the final ending sequence wraps the show up beautifully and really nails J.D.

Season 9 was kinda lame but the episodes featuring Braff still heald a lot of the charm and magnificence of the show which was nice. Not necessary to watch and probably not wise to start immediately after finish the original finale but if you like the show it's worth the watch.

Azmodes wrote:
It combines two of my favourite things: penis innuendo and derigin.

Meditari
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 2:36 am 

Newest episode of The Walking Dead nearly gave me a goddamn heart attack. Definitely one of the best episodes in the entire show, in my book.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 8:55 am 

People say that every time the show comes back. But I'll be watching it today sometime!

I'm watching The Wire, on season 3 - this whole "let's put all the drug dealers in a shitty neighborhood so all the rest of town looks like it's cleaned up" thing is so insane it's actually brilliant. Can't wait to see where this all goes. Glad I'm finally watching this, brilliant show.

Meditari
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 1:36 pm 

Awesome, and dude the episode in The Wire in which we see exactly what that "let's put all the drug dealers in a shitty neighborhood so all the rest of town looks like it's cleaned up" plan leads to is some of the most intense stuff in that show.

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 3:36 pm 

Spoiler: it doesn't end well.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 3:39 pm 

That's a shame...I really thought this would be a happy ending and the next two seasons would just be hunky-dory. :p

stickyshooZ
TO HAVE AND TO HOLD

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 5:35 pm 

Meditari wrote:
Newest episode of The Walking Dead nearly gave me a goddamn heart attack. Definitely one of the best episodes in the entire show, in my book.

Indeed, it was a great episode. The episode stayed pretty true to the No Way Out story arc from the comics, and it was pretty much everything I was hoping it'd be. If they continue to closely follow the comics, shit will get much more intense over the season.

Exkretor wrote:
The new Sadus sounds like fucking wrestling music.

hmi
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 6:22 pm 

Does anyone here keep up with It's Always Sunny? The entire new season has been sorely disappointing. I know a lot of people thought season 10 was pretty terrible but I loved everything other that the very first episode was just ok. But season 11 has really turned sour with the exception of a handful hilarious scenes. 10 seasons is not a bad run at all but I'm still disappointed in how bad it's gotten this season.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 8:12 pm 

hmi wrote:
Does anyone here keep up with It's Always Sunny? The entire new season has been sorely disappointing. I know a lot of people thought season 10 was pretty terrible but I loved everything other that the very first episode was just ok. But season 11 has really turned sour with the exception of a handful hilarious scenes. 10 seasons is not a bad run at all but I'm still disappointed in how bad it's gotten this season.

Wow, this show is still going? I remember watching it in its early seasons and enjoying it, even though it was sometimes really hard to watch, haha. I don't think I've seen really anything after season 5, or perhaps even earlier. Eleven seasons is a hell of a run.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 9:42 pm 

So Bryan Fuller has been announced as the showrunner, creator and lead writer for the new Star Trek series, and suddenly every fear and worry about the show has been all but entirely erased. Fuller is the best writer Star Trek ever produced, so putting him at the head of it was nothing short of visionary. Bring on the new series!
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 10:37 pm 

That's exciting! Now, let's just see if I can finish all of the old material before the new show's first season ends...

Smoking_Gnu
Chicago Favorite

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 11:57 pm 

MikeyC wrote:
hmi wrote:

Wow, this show is still going? I remember watching it in its early seasons and enjoying it, even though it was sometimes really hard to watch, haha. I don't think I've seen really anything after season 5, or perhaps even earlier. Eleven seasons is a hell of a run.

Yeah, I think the show's golden age was 2-5. 6 and 8 had some good moments, 7 was pretty bad, and 9 actually seemed like it was getting things back on track - but I wasn't very fond of 10 myself and this talk on 11 doesn't bode well. Though on a meta level, taking a great idea and running it horribly into the ground is pretty much in line with what the gang would do...

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 11:53 am 

Saw the 11.22.63 pilot yesterday (not familiar with the book). Pretty good so far, gotta love Chris Cooper and Franco is solid. I'm a sucker for any sort of time travel stuff anyway, but this show seems particularly promising. Tight pilot, nicely plotted and structured. Although I'm not especially fond of the
anthropomorphic, on-the-nose YOU FUCK WITH TIME TIME FUCKS YOU RIGHT BACK
trope, I can still dig it.

As for the new The Walking Dead... seems like business as usual, non-negligible number of dumb and/or dragging stuff mixed in with a generally solid whole and some cool moments.
Speaking of dumb, the "domino death" scene in the zombie crowd seemed particularly stupid and lazily written. How about just picking up the damn kid?
Fear the Walking Dead seems to be the superior show, but I just know that I'll keep watching both.

~Guest 373247
Village Idiot

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 4:03 pm 

I watched the entire third season of Vikings last week. All I have to say is that it would be perfect if there were simply more blood/gore, but that isn't really possible for a TV-14 show. It was very engaging for the most part, and the historical context adds another dimension to it. A bit too sanitized for my liking, as I said, but not bad at all.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 8:49 am 

New Better Call Saul - More goodness from Vince Gilligan and co. I'm so glad this isn't just gimmickry and Breaking Bad callbacks. Instantly charming, funny and sad all at once. Love it.

New Walking Dead - I was ready to say it actually flat out sucked in the first 15 minutes (that Negan group thing - what the fuck, seriously?), but then, like it always does, the fucking show pulled me back for the rest of it with some actually good horror violence and action. God dammit.

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 5:46 am 

Finished The Expanse last night. The last 3 episodes really picked up as lot of stuff was explained. Id love to see FX, or even Syfy do something like a Dead Space series, with an obvious M rating.

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:37 am 

Vikings S04 is off to a solid start.

Didn't expect Ragnar to be up and about quite that quickly, but I guess I can roll with it. The thing that seemed most far-fetched to me was the idea that an Asian slave would make it that far west in the 8th/9th century AD. My GF and I read a bit into the slave trade of that time after the episode on Wikipedia and didn't find any evidence that that would ever happen. Just seemed like wishful thinking there. I guess it's possible the showrunners decided they needed more ethnic diversity on a popular show, which is fine, but why not go with a more believable choice? It's just a show, whatever, but it'd be nice if they at least tried to stick to historical plausibility.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 1:03 am 

Final Fresh Meat season opener was fucking amazing, as expected. Fills the Peep Show void nicely. Sad it's the last season for this one too.
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97 ... 182  Next