Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
metroplex
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 1:42 am 

I have the same problem with Arrow/Flash/Legends of Tomorrow, should i binge watch one then the others? or do i need to interplay between all 3?

waiguoren
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 3:24 am 

Dungeon_Vic wrote:
New Game of Thrones was great. First time though that I REALLY felt that we've now gone past the books. I had already made my mind of continuing with the show and not wait for Martin (and I am glad I did) but yesterday it hit home that the (future) books are effectively ruined.

Have you noticed how now that Bran and Arya are older, they've both turned into ants? Seriously, look at them - they have insect heads. I swear if they ever film Mieville's Perdido Street Station, Arya can play that insect-woman khepri girlfriend, Lin. She wouldn't even need make up or anything.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 3:29 am 

Quark is hilarious. His lecture to the Vulcan woman on how the Maquis are making an illogical business move by being willing to achieve peace at all costs, lol.
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 10:52 am 

iamntbatman wrote:
Alright, cool. I did that hopping back and forth when I watched Buffy and Angel and while the interplay between the two series was interesting, it was also kind of tedious to play episodes in order.

Yeah, I tried that with Buffy and Angel. It's better just to watch one show all the way through, then move onto the other, instead. Just flows better.

Dungeon_Vic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 1:02 pm 

I gave up on Arrow last season. It was getting too retarded, too clean, too cheesy, too predictable, too fucking everything.
Flash got there this year, or maybe I did. I knew it was time when I secretly hoped for the main actors to DIE. Like, all of them, in both series. Perhaps not Cisco. My wife keeps watching both of them and I swear when I catch a couple of minutes I wonder what I was thinking.

Bran, I can see as an insect (haha). Don't get the Arya though, she looks normal. Margaery perhaps? Only that would be a really fucking beautiful ant...

Vic's Dungeon - Remember the Fallen:
Jeff Hanneman: Evil Notes and Sad Riffs
Chuck Schuldiner (Death)
Paul Baloff (Exodus)
Holy Terror and Keith Deen
Roger Patterson (Atheist)

volutetheswarth
Our Lady of Perpetual Butthurt

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 7:35 pm 

Dungeon_Vic wrote:
I gave up on Arrow last season. It was getting too retarded, too clean, too cheesy, too predictable, too fucking everything.
Flash got there this year, or maybe I did. I knew it was time when I secretly hoped for the main actors to DIE. Like, all of them, in both series. Perhaps not Cisco. My wife keeps watching both of them and I swear when I catch a couple of minutes I wonder what I was thinking.
I gave up on Arrow after the first episode. Couldn't stand the preposterous set up and why I should care, and the whole thing had this shallow unlikeable Gossip Girl style to it.
Quote:
I secretly hoped for the main actors to DIE
You know a show is bad when you want the main actors to die.

Cianan
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 3:46 pm 

Anyone watched Hulu's series The Path? I thought the first season was great with some solid character development and a pretty good plot. It's a show about a religious "cult" and certain members wavering or deepening faith. It explores how dangerous faith and those that are worshipped can really be and how deep people go.

waiguoren
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 9:57 am 

So Bloodline season 2 is out. Watched the first five eps yesterday, and it's just as enjoyable as the first season. Really great Netflix show, and if you haven't seen it, watch it (unless you hate Florida or something). Solid writing and great acting, with near-every scene ending in tension or a mini cliffhanger. I give it 9 out of 10 Tampas.

~Guest 171512
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 11:10 pm 

Angie Tribeca fucking rules. This is total Leslie Nielsen worship. I love it. Way to go, Nancy Carrell and Rashida Jones.

Rainbow
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 7:37 am 

Yeah, Angie Tribeca is the best thing on television. Thank goodness they got a season 2.

Everybody else watches drawn out dramas like Walking Dead and Game of Thrones....just give me shit like Angie Tribeca. Airplane / Naked Gun comedy trumps all other forms of entertainment.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 7:44 am 

First two episodes of Louis CK's Horace and Pete are pretty incredible. So much stuff packed in. A lot of melancholy and world-insight like he does in his stand up, but delivered from the mouths of other characters. It's funny in a way but also very depressing. It seems like there are a lot of themes of the differences between generations, of how the old sees things versus how the new generations do. Definitely going to keep watching.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 6:04 am 

Empyreal wrote:
First two episodes of Louis CK's Horace and Pete are pretty incredible. So much stuff packed in. A lot of melancholy and world-insight like he does in his stand up, but delivered from the mouths of other characters. It's funny in a way but also very depressing. It seems like there are a lot of themes of the differences between generations, of how the old sees things versus how the new generations do. Definitely going to keep watching.

My friend saw this, I think. Is this the show described as a "comedy/drama/tragedy"?

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 7:19 am 

Sort of. It's basically the anti-sitcom. It's very funny in a dark way when you think of it from that way. It's like a sitcom set-up, but everything is hideously depressing and pathetic. The characters' discussions about political issues are hysterical though. Stephen Wright is great in particular for a minor character. Steve Buscemi hits it out of the park too.

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 4:26 pm 

So, Baskets is fucking mind blowing in just about every way possible.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 10:20 am 

Started with Louie and it's pretty great. I dig the sometimes absurd artsy stuff thrown in with the dramedy mix. And it's also cringe comedy, sure, but compared to stuff like Curb Your Enthusiasm which constantly has the awkwardness and embarrassment levels at 200% (don't get me wrong, I love CYE), Louie uses it more sparingly, strategically. For instance, in that duckling episode where he's entertaining the troops in the Middle East, owing to Louie's evident unease I was half expecting his stand-up in front of the soldiers to turn into some sort of cringey failure, ex. some jarhead taking offence at a crude military joke or whatever, but it actually played it straight and just naturally followed his pretty successful comedy tour with a few smaller bumps thrown in along the way.

It's a very cool mix of grounded and borderline surreal throughout, actually.

Nahsil
Clerical Sturmgeschütz

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 4:01 pm 

yeah I actually don't like cringe comedy and I love Louie. I guess you can call it that, but he's always doing something else, too, pointing out some absurdity or whatever. It's not just awkwardness for no reason.
the same stone - Primordial, "Heathen Tribes"

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 4:34 am 

Seems seasons 3/4 are upping the drama quite considerably. That episode with the model was depressing (though still with a black comedic undertone).

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 11:45 am 

Alright, caught up with you guys with Vikings.

Spoiler: show
I generally agree with earlier posts that much of this season was the weakest of the show so far. The England stuff was slow as fuck and, while I do kind of like Ecbert, that whole plotline suffered from not having any goddamn vikings in it.

I'm pretty torn about the additions of blatantly supernatural things, too. It was neat how it was all just what these people believed in before, but then again the actual poems and sagas and stuff that these stories are based on were full of gods doing supernatural shit so it sort of feels ok I guess. I feel the same way about the "no way that shit ever happened" stuff like Ragnar hooking up with a Chinese drug dealer empress.

Anyway I thought things really started to ramp up and improve toward the end of this chunk of the season, except for the final episode which was full of things I hated. The big sea battle started cool but then got dumb as fuck. When Ragnar shouted "LOOK AT YOU, YOU LOOK LIKE A BITCH" at Rollo I swear to god I thought someone had fucked with the audio on the file I got as some really subtle trolling. Then them just punching each other square in the face over and over in slow motion was just so awful and cheesy. Did I miss something, or why the fuck did the Frankish emperor kill off the snitch couple? And the end...ugh. Not a fan of most of the casting choices for the older versions of Ragnar's sons, especially Ivar, and having Ragnar go missing for years and years only just to show up again was just...ugh.

Hopefully things pick up again in the second half of the season though.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

HellBlazer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 6:00 pm 

Vikings:

I'm curious to see where the story goes after the time jump, but it really makes the slow-paced first half of the season even worst in retrospect. Like, who cares about all the minutiae of the events they went into great details over when most of that will be inconsequential 10 (or whatever) years later? Sure, a time jump makes a great hook for a mid-season pause, but now it really looks like they didn't have enough ideas for the first half and just chucked a bunch of bullshit in there to fill up the time until "the twist."

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 12:30 am 

Yep, totally agreed with that point. Thoughts on the new casting choices?

HellBlazer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 3:00 pm 

Eh, I don't really have strong feelings about those for now.

MetalCuresHeadaches
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 10:05 pm 

Alright, checked out two new two-episode premieres last night.

Wrecked: Essentially, a slightly surreal stupid humor take on Lost, injected with a plenty of crass, Hangover-style adult humor, a sprinkling of toilet humor, and shit-ton of what some TBS executive thinks qualifies as stereotypical "Millennial humor". Like most comedies, it never really fired on all cylinders, but it was still passable as mindless background noise while browsing the web.

Animal Kingdom: The internet says this is an adaptation of a highly regarded Aussie film that I've not had the chance to see yet. Basically, a teenager's druggie mother ODs and dies, and he goes to stay with his estranged grandmother and the teen's three uncles, who are all involved in criminal ring steeped in robberies and drugs. As you can guess, the teen is slowly drawn into the family's secrets. It definitely has streaks of Son's of Anarchy, with a bit of Breaking Bad's dramatic leanings thrown in for good measure. It definitely feels like the show is taking itself a bit to seriously at times, but overall it is a solid show that I'll likely tune in to see for the rest of the season.

BastardHead wrote:
Everybody sucks, especially you.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 10:22 pm 

I want this:

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 8:35 pm 

So uh.... I want to complain about two shows that pissed me off lately; Showtime's Penny Dreadful and AMC's Preacher.

Starting with Penny Dreadful. Well, the whole show just ended, out of the blue. The S3 finale was actually, to everyone's surprise, the series finale.

And it was absolutely awful. What a terrible way to end this otherwise pretty damn good show. And no, for once it wasn't the executives' fault, but apparently the showrunner and main writer, John Logan, decided he wanted to end it. WTF? He did it in the worst possible way. The finale is full of plot holes, unresolved loose threads, messy and disjointed timing of events, and worst of all, character assassinations.

Where to begin? I don't know. In no particular order:

- They introduced this stereotypical "tough chick" character, Catriona, only to pretty much do nothing interesting with her.
- Mr. Lyle earlier in the season hints at an Egypt subplot, like foreshadowing for S4 (which Catriona also contributes to), but of course itsfuckingnothing.gif.
- Dr. Jekyll is introduced, and at the very end we see his title of "Lord Hyde" but never actually see the infamous Mr. Hyde do anything. All that setup for NOTHING
- Dorian Gray did fuck all the whole series, and his status quo remains 100%. He vaguely talked of a "cosmic darkness" at some point but of course nothing came of that.
- Lily wants to start some sort of feminist revolution but in the end just sticks around drinking wine, giggling and wearing pretty dresses in Dorian's mansion with her girlfriends, then gets kidnapped, begs for her life, it works, and she walks away. The women revolution whatever is dismantled and the other girl side-kick dies. That's it.
- Ethan gets his heel-face revolving door moments, then crosses an ocean to save the woman he supposedly loves, but then just kills her. So much for the "Wolf of God"?
- Dracula "will love Vanessa to the end of days". He does a bit of kung fu on the cast members, ignoring Vanessa being killed by Ethan, then she dies and he just... disappears. That's the monster Lucifer himself feared?
- Vanessa. Oh, Vanessa. The reason we all watched this series. The most interesting, formidable and entertaining character of the series by far. All the horrors she has endured and struggled with culminated in... her suddenly "giving in" to Dracula, which resulted her in hanging out in some slaughterhouse, out of sight, while everyone in London dies, doing nothing? She was so unhappy having to "deny herself, her very being" and now she can "finally be who she truly is", but in the end she's just brooding somewhere else less comfortable than her mansion doing nothing? What is this shit? No seriously, what the fuck. Then there's that bullshit with Ethan and the lord's prayer and she dies helplessly. Hallelujah?

- On a related note, it is really disappointing that the two "strong female leads", Vanessa and Lily, have had their final scenes showing them being so weak, submissive, and helpless. Very demeaning to their characters. And the whole "she's at peace with God" bullshit for Vanessa was another level of awful.

And then the plot holes and other shit that went on in the final episode;

- Why is the team splitting up, sending the two werewolves in the sewers only to have them end up in the same room where everyone's fighting the vampires?
- Speaking of vampires, why are they all so weak and inept outside of Dracula? They die like level 1 MMO trash mobs, geez.
- Sir Malcom conveniently running into Dr. Frankenstein, who conveniently agrees to join up the fight to save Vanessa. Uh, ok.
- So Vanessa and Dracula ruined London causing plagues and pestilence for "weeks" where 7000 people died, but all this time, Frankenstein and Dorian are hanging out in that basement with Lily and they still hadn't injected that serum into her, because...? It looked like only a day had passed but Catriona said weeks and Sir Malcom arrived at a ghost town London that had been clearly fucked up for a while.

The only character that got anything resembling real closure, ironically, was the one character who was the most annoying in the early seasons (outside of Dorian): John Clare/Caliban/Frankenstein's monster, whatever his name was. But it was still boring and I honestly didn't even care about him and his family. :\

------------------

Whew, now, Preacher. What a waste of a comic book adaptation, really. So much potential for all the cool shit in the comics, that don't necessarily require high budgeting; blasphemy, depraved violence and sex, charming characters, witty dialogue, black humour... this show, so far, isn't even a neutered version of that. It's... fucking nothing? I didn't expect to necessarily see all the wildest parts of the epic road trip (might be too expensive) but this is just so fucking boring and bland in comparison. :(

Tulip is annoying and not at all like in the comic. They tried too hard to make her edgy and cool but she's just kind of obnoxious for the most part (oh and instead of having died in childbirth, her mom was a whore instead? Whatever the fuck. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯). She has her moments, though; Jesse, however, is downright insufferable. And of course, also not at all like in the comic, in fact he's kind of... the opposite, really. Him using his power to convert an atheist to Christianity really soured me (and of course the evil, creepy, deviant, greedy corporate guy is the non-believer; right...), too. Characterisation-wise, the only one that's not only mostly accurate, but also entertaining, is Cassidy. At least Cassidy is still cool. :\

Pacing is glacial. Almost nothing of importance happened in the last episode. I couldn't care less about Odin Quincannon's subplot that seem to be going nowhere nor do I care about the stupid town and its stupid boring inhabitants and their stupid boring church. Once again Cassidy, and the "angels", were the most entertaining part but still, not much of substance actually happened even with them. They teased the Saint of Killer and Herr Starr in the previous episodes' intro, but I don't know if I want to stick around to see the pay-off of that 'cause I'm starting to think they'll ruin them too.

Right now I'm thinking that I'll just stop watching for now, and if people say the pacing picks up and the crazy shit start actually happening I'll binge watch the remaining episodes. But I'm sick of giving time to mediocre TV shows in the hope that "it'll pick up" or "it'll get better" when it honestly rarely does. Life's too short to waste so much time, I got burned with The Walking Dead and Lost and other shows, not again.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 1:58 pm 

Argh. That's really disappointing to hear about Penny Dreadful. As soon as you said, "the only character that got anything resembling real closure," I thought, "aw fuck, it's gonna be fuckin' Crane ..*reads confirmation* god damn it, I knew it." Well that's a piss out the window. I'll still watch it through, but .. poop.

JohnTheDrummer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 8:56 pm 

I finished the Under The Dome novels last year, and a friend of mine said to check out the TV Show, even though apparently the third season takes a giant dump on the whole story.

So I've been binge watching it this week and finished Season 1 last night. It was pretty good. Enjoyable. Wasn't a fan of all the changes, but obviously you can't really have a sociopath necrophiliac on CBS :lol: . Biggest change I don't like is Barbie being more of a badass, but who is character is really makes up for that, I also am not sure about Junior, I don't want to care about and like someone who's supposed to be insane and just a bad person in the books.

As mentioned, I heard season 3 just takes a giant dump on the whole thing... so we'll see....

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 10:18 pm 

Morrigan wrote:
So uh.... I want to complain about two shows that pissed me off lately; Showtime's Penny Dreadful and AMC's Preacher.

Starting with Penny Dreadful. Well, the whole show just ended, out of the blue. The S3 finale was actually, to everyone's surprise, the series finale.

And it was absolutely awful. What a terrible way to end this otherwise pretty damn good show. And no, for once it wasn't the executives' fault, but apparently the showrunner and main writer, John Logan, decided he wanted to end it. WTF? He did it in the worst possible way. The finale is full of plot holes, unresolved loose threads, messy and disjointed timing of events, and worst of all, character assassinations.

From what I'm reading, Showtime decided to cancel PD after S3 was over, but only once they'd already shot a lot of S3. Rather than go through with S3 the way they'd intended and just end on a cliffhanger, they sort of hastily re-wrote it to tie everything up in the last few episodes and pretend like it was intended.

Honestly, I think most people would've been happier with the cliffhanger ending, but they probably wanted to forestall fan anger toward an cancellation a la Firefly.

HellBlazer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 10:46 pm 

failsafeman wrote:
From what I'm reading, Showtime decided to cancel PD after S3 was over, but only once they'd already shot a lot of S3. Rather than go through with S3 the way they'd intended and just end on a cliffhanger, they sort of hastily re-wrote it to tie everything up in the last few episodes and pretend like it was intended.

Honestly, I think most people would've been happier with the cliffhanger ending, but they probably wanted to forestall fan anger toward an cancellation a la Firefly.

Hmm, source? As far as I know, the series was successful and Showtime actually wanted it to continue. It's the showrunner/main writer who wanted to end it.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 10:47 pm 

JohnTheDrummer wrote:
As mentioned, I heard season 3 just takes a giant dump on the whole thing... so we'll see....

What's the point of taking a giant dump on a giant pile of shit?

DS9 S2 is great so far. This season is building the character-building I was hoping for.

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 3:32 am 

HellBlazer wrote:
failsafeman wrote:

Hmm, source? As far as I know, the series was successful and Showtime actually wanted it to continue. It's the showrunner/main writer who wanted to end it.

Its more of a theory, since there were way too many loose ends for being a series finale. I thought this was a good read:
http://bloody-disgusting.com/editorials ... nale-lies/

failsafeman
Digital Dictator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 1:01 pm 

Yeah, there isn't any hard evidence beyond how it seems structured. Like Morrigan said, so many dropped sideplots, pointless characters who seemed to be introduced for later use and never got used, etc. But again, Showtime and all involved would have a lot invested in making it seem intentional. If true, we'll probably only hear about it "from the horse's mouth" years down the line.

HellBlazer wrote:
As far as I know, the series was successful and Showtime actually wanted it to continue.

It had steady but unspectacular ratings, which were apparently going down a bit since S2. Not enough to guarantee cancellation or anything, but maybe with its budget it wasn't performing to their expectations? Maybe they wanted to free up a slot for something more promising?

HellBlazer wrote:
It's the showrunner/main writer who wanted to end it.

That's the party line, yes. "We meant to have this shitty, hasty ending all along," isn't very convincing.

REQUIEM
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 3:12 pm 

finished horace and pete a month ago. a great show, but it's not for everybody. i even know fans of louie who were bored by this. i thought it was excellent. it's not a comedy, though.

finished peaky blinders 7 days ago. it was good, but not as good as previous seasons. season one had sam neill, season two had tom hardy, and season two had....who? a russian damsel? nah.

finished season 1 of billions. who would have thought that i'd like a pissing contest between paul giamatti and damian lewis? but i did. the series is nothing to write home about, it's only decent.

looking forward to new season of ray donovan.

henkkjelle
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 9:07 pm 

Just finished the final episode of Penny Dreadful.

Everything besides the final episode was of good or great quality and I thoroughly enjoyed the series but that last episode really took a giant crap on the entirety of it. I agree with everything in Morrigans post besides the bit about Dorian Gray. Sure he had no purpose at all outside of his own being but that's his thing really. He said it himself at the end. Being never changing and eternal and whatnot.

But yeah. Terrible ending. It's a shame. I think I'm just going to pretend Dorian Gray was the main character all along and his ending is supposed to be the series ending. It's better than the real thing. They should have ended the season as it was intended. Better to have a good cliffhanger than to see a good show self-destruct like that.

Edit. There is not even a chance of the show returning in the future. This ending did a good job of closing that door forever. Uuuuugh.

stickyshooZ
TO HAVE AND TO HOLD

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 1:08 am 

And just when I thought I couldn't hate Cersei Lannister even more.

Exkretor wrote:
The new Sadus sounds like fucking wrestling music.

Razakel
Nekroprince

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 1:53 am 

stickyshooZ wrote:
And just when I thought I couldn't hate Cersei Lannister even more.

Haha come on, you really have to hand it to her. That was completely insane.

Great season overall. Again, a lot of build up towards an action-packed final two episodes, but seven hells it was worth it. More than anything it makes me starve with anticipation for The Winds of Winter.

Also - Lady Mormont for President.

aaronmb666
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 4:44 am 

After watching the GOT finale, I got halfway through Mr Robot, ending where
the girl in the trunk
. Loving it.

rexxz
Where's your band?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 12:04 pm 

Razakel wrote:
Also - Lady Mormont for President.

OF THE WORLD. pleeeease make it happen y'all.

She is so fucking awesome.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 12:14 pm 

Lady Mormont is the fucking best. I hope that we'll see her more in season 7.

Overall, season 6 was one of the best ones, highly entertaining and it really felt that the story was progressing.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

metroplex
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 12:47 pm 

Gonna miss Margaery's hotness

Adriankat
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 5:28 pm 

GOT Season 6 Finale in one sentence.
Well, Cleganebowl didn't happen, but we definitely got what we wanted. :)

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104 ... 182  Next