Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic  
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
red_blood_inside
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 12:21 am 

Have been spinning Pink Moon and Time of no Reply a lot lately, I find his music very relaxing and warm. Is like the soundtrack for sleeping. Are here other fans of his work? I don´t have much info about him, except he was quite shy and introvert. I guess he was a great influence for metal acts such as Opeth and Anathema, aand I dare to say Katatonia as well.

CF_Mono
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 12:55 am 

Every now and then someone just "discovers" him and is totally blown away, as most first time listeners are, so isolated threads about him pop up on a lot of forums. I don't think he's the best but he has a style that he does well and I like to listen to his music. Pink Moon is a good listen but can be a bit dry since it's just him and his guitar for a half hour, the other two albums are a little more involved but just as good.

babysgottalocomotive
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 3:27 am 

Like all artists who passed away before their time, Nick Drake is an interesting musician. Coupled with his introvert character, zero footage, beautiful song writing, original and strong playing style - he is a fascinating character. I love all his work, but Pink Moon is particularly resonating for me. He's definitely an icon for hipsters, but in this case all praise he receives is worthy.

Zerberus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 3:42 am 

CF_Mono wrote:
Every now and then someone just "discovers" him and is totally blown away

Come to think of it, this is actually true in most cases. Good call :lol:

I especially like Five Leaves Left and Pink Moon, FLL in particular because that was the first album I bought by him. Bryter Layter doesn't quite reach me in the same way but still has a few memorable moments.
His simplistic-yet-intricate songwriting coupled with his frugal temper is what appeals to me with his music.

Those vinyl boxsets that were released of all his albums are really cool if you've got the dough
If you're looking for similar artists I'd recommend checking out Jackson C. Frank and Townes Van Zandt.

TripeOverload
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 6:26 am 

Thumbs up, mate! I really dig Van Zandt's music too.
And to OP, if you like listening to Nick Drake, you might also want to give Pearls Before Swine or Bill Fay a listen.

Zerberus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 3:08 am 

TripeOverload wrote:
Thumbs up, mate! I really dig Van Zandt's music too.
And to OP, if you like listening to Nick Drake, you might also want to give Pearls Before Swine or Bill Fay a listen.

I concur with Pearls Before Swine

Scorntyrant
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 6:07 am 

I'll just leave this here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrmR_F5XgwQ

"A skin too few - the days of Nick Drake"
2000 documentary about his life. Yeah, I'm a big fan.

Were it up to me, I'd pick apart your nervous system atom by atom and throw each individual particle into a separate black hole so that you may never think stupid shit like that ever again.

red_blood_inside
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 7:42 pm 

Well, a lot to answer, first, I "discover" him many many years ago, but happens that lately I´ve been "rediscovering" him, I didnt know about other threads about him here, and was curious about what the metal comunity think about him. The recs are most welcome, I´ll listen to them and then ive some feedback, and for the doc, I´ll check it out as well, since he seems quite a character.

CF_Mono
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 2:37 am 

red_blood_inside wrote:
Well, a lot to answer, first, I "discover" him many many years ago, but happens that lately I´ve been "rediscovering" him, I didnt know about other threads about him here, and was curious about what the metal comunity think about him. The recs are most welcome, I´ll listen to them and then ive some feedback, and for the doc, I´ll check it out as well, since he seems quite a character.

Ahh, I understand! I was instantly a fan when I first heard him. I know the feeling though, you want to smack yourself when you just ignore great music that's been in your collection (even a physical CD) forever. I just did this with Bohren Und Der Club of Gore. I've had Black Earth for probably five or six years. I just popped it in a few days ago and I already think it's one of the best albums I've ever heard. I wish I knew of more bands acquainted with the doom jazz style.

Zerberus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 3:39 pm 

CF_Mono wrote:
I wish I knew of more bands acquainted with the doom jazz style.

Not knowing the band of which you speak, have you heard Mount Fuji Doomjazz Corporation and Kilimanjaro Darkjazz Ensemble?

TripeOverload
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 4:45 pm 

CF_Mono wrote:
I've had Black Earth for probably five or six years. I just popped it in a few days ago and I already think it's one of the best albums I've ever heard. I wish I knew of more bands acquainted with the doom jazz style.

I may sound a bit extreme with this statement, but as long as you got Bohren, you do not really need other doom jazz in your collection... the others pale in comparison to Bohren works, especially Midnight Radio, one fucking behemoth of an album (which is slower, more subtle, drowsier, more soundtrackish and sometimes more distorted than Black Earth).

Abominatrix
Harbinger of Metal

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 5:08 pm 

CF_Mono wrote:
Every now and then someone just "discovers" him and is totally blown away, as most first time listeners are, so isolated threads about him pop up on a lot of forums. I don't think he's the best but he has a style that he does well and I like to listen to his music. Pink Moon is a good listen but can be a bit dry since it's just him and his guitar for a half hour, the other two albums are a little more involved but just as good.

As I understand it though, the "dry" sound of NIck and his guitar is exactly the way he wanted his music to sound. String arrangements and such were added later by his producer, often against his wishes.

but yeah, I'll join the club and say that Drake is really great and satisfying in the right mood.
Hush and hark, without murmur or sigh,
To shoon that tread the lost aeons:
To the sound that bids you to die.

From_Wisdom_To_Mabt
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 5:49 pm 

If you like Nick Drake and his story, I'd also recommend Jackson C. Frank. Another unappreciated (in his time), tragic folk musician.

CF_Mono
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 4:33 am 

Zerberus wrote:
CF_Mono wrote:

Not knowing the band of which you speak, have you heard Mount Fuji Doomjazz Corporation and Kilimanjaro Darkjazz Ensemble?

0___o I thought Bohren invented the genre. You should immediately check them out.

From_Wisdom_To_Mabt wrote:
If you like Nick Drake and his story, I'd also recommend Jackson C. Frank. Another unappreciated (in his time), tragic folk musician.

+1 for this guy

CF_Mono
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 4:33 am 

Zerberus wrote:
CF_Mono wrote:

0___o I thought Bohren invented the genre. You should immediately check them out.

From_Wisdom_To_Mabt wrote:

+1 for this guy

Reply to topic