Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic  
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
ReturnToFlesh84
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 1:30 am 

Kinda like GEMM/discog, but for films? I got left a bunch of stuff and I can find almost none of it on traditional selling sites to gain it's value, if it even has any. I got some cool stuff like Star Wars laserdisc in great condition and some older stuff as well. I know most of it is likely worthless, but I'd hate to donate it or toss it without gaining some idea if any of it is valuable or not.

MrMcThrasher II
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:22 pm 

It's worth what somebody is willing to pay for it.
Just look on eBay.

TheDefiniteArticle wrote:
Also hopefully they take it as a sign they're not meant to make more albums.

aloof
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 12:01 pm 

if the movie is available on dvd or bluray, the vhs is basically worthless, unless it's some kind of special packaging, or you find a nutjob collector.

for movies you have on dvd, search for them on amazon, play.com and ebay and go from there...

laserdiscs are strictly collectors items, as you can't play them anymore. some of them hold great value for collectors, but you'd just have to be careful. if some guy insists something is worth naught but *helpfully* offers to take it off your hands for $2, it's probably collectible :)

RepulsiveVenom
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 4:34 am 

[quote="aloof"]if the movie is available on dvd or bluray, the vhs is basically worthless, unless it's some kind of special packaging, or you find a nutjob collector.

That's not true, I have a few VHS films which have been released on DVD and they are worth decent value. As long as the version of VHS is a first press and not a re-release in most cases though.

Zerberus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 2:32 am 

If the videos you have are ex-rentals (big-boxed) there's a good chance they're worth a bit to collectors.

Cthulhu_Fhtagn
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 3:07 am 

What if they are in rarer packaging? I picked up an R-rated cut of the Toxic Avenger vhs at a swap meet, and it has a black cover instead of the normal white version. The only thing like it on ebay is 80$, and I have found no info on it except for here. http://www.tromattica.com/#!the-toxic-avenger/c8ds

ShaolinLambKiller wrote:
holy fuck what the fuck is that garbage? Though it's more interesting than Summoning ever will be.

putrenista
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:08 pm 

Well, this probably isn't exactly what you're looking for, but I thought I'd throw it out there anyway. For DVDs specifically you can check out this site Wherehouse.com, which is affiliated with the store FYE. They have an option to sell games, cds, dvds, and blu-rays to them for either online credit or cash. But they also have a database that you can search that gives you an idea of what they're offering for each individual disc. You can also search by the UPC code.

http://www.wherehouse.com/stores/wh/sell.jsp
http://www.wherehouse.com/stores/wh/selling-help.jsp

Resident_Hazard
Possessed by Starscream's Ghost

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 4:45 pm 

RepulsiveVenom wrote:
aloof wrote:
if the movie is available on dvd or bluray, the vhs is basically worthless, unless it's some kind of special packaging, or you find a nutjob collector.

That's not true, I have a few VHS films which have been released on DVD and they are worth decent value. As long as the version of VHS is a first press and not a re-release in most cases though.

I watched a documentary called Rewind This! on Hulu that was about VHS collectors. Turns out there's a pretty thriving market for some of this stuff, niche though it is. A big part of it is driven by collecting stuff that was released on VHS that never saw another release later on DVD or Blu-Ray, and often not on Laserdisc, either.

I found out earlier this year that Godzilla 1985 (1984 Japan) is one such a film. It has never been released on disk, and if I want to watch it, I need to find the VHS somewhere.

I have very few VHS films remaining--mostly just stuff that I'm pretty sure isn't really available anywhere else, or that is unique in some way. For instance, I have the original Creepshow in its old, giant plastic VHS case.

martinsane
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:16 pm 

Resident_Hazard wrote:

I found out earlier this year that Godzilla 1985 (1984 Japan) is one such a film. It has never been released on disk, and if I want to watch it, I need to find the VHS somewhere.

I have very few VHS films remaining--mostly just stuff that I'm pretty sure isn't really available anywhere else, or that is unique in some way. For instance, I have the original Creepshow in its old, giant plastic VHS case.

Those clamshell cases are quite cool.

And interesting fact about Godzilla 85.

I have kept a good couple of handfuls of VHS tapes that as mentioned are likely to never see a dvd release and also as mentioned a few others that are just cool, IE: the original Evil Dead in the giant cardboard box.

And the comment about they are worth what someone will pay just look on Ebay is just a dumb comment and certainly anything but helpful.

On topic: I don't know of a site devoted to VHS tape collectors/collections, but it sounds like a cool and happening place to me!

RepulsiveVenom
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 5:23 am 

I have the original Creepshow with the big bulky cover too man.. I have Creepshow 2 also with the bulky cover. Both are classic films. I'm a VHS collector myself and I love them dearly, only originals though and ex-rentals. Ex-rentals are great because you get to see masses of previews of other films at the time of the movie's release. Great way to discover other unknown gems :)

Exigence

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:16 am 

I've been looking for a DVD of "The Unholy". It's very rare and apparently only in the one of those horror movie packs. Great, 80s horror movie from 1988, shot in New Orleans. I had it bootlegged on VHS when I was really little.

I mention that because it's on a list I read online of "Most valuable horror dvds".

SwampSlimer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 6:01 pm 

I have that movie on VHS, Exigence. I had no idea it was that rare on DVD. To be honest, I've probably only watched it once!

Thiestru
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 8:30 pm 

Resident_Hazard wrote:

I was lucky enough to snag Godzilla 1985 on VHS a few years ago from a movie rental place, when those were still a thing. I still have it. I also have a bootleg DVD of The Return of Godzilla. I don't know why this movie is viewed so poorly; it's my favorite. Someone really needs to release it on DVD and/or Blu-ray. Good luck in your search dude.

Please check out my music at the following link. Thanks!

http://thiestru.bandcamp.com

Zerberus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 3:54 am 

Thiestru wrote:
Godzilla 1985 on VHS a few years ago from a movie rental place, when those were still a thing. I still have it. I also have a bootleg DVD of The Return of Godzilla. I don't know why this movie is viewed so poorly; it's my favorite. Someone really needs to release it on DVD and/or Blu-ray. Good luck in your search dude.

What I really want to see is a complete bluray collection of ALL the Godzilla films

Resident_Hazard

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:37 am 

RepulsiveVenom wrote:
I have the original Creepshow with the big bulky cover too man.. I have Creepshow 2 also with the bulky cover. Both are classic films. I'm a VHS collector myself and I love them dearly, only originals though and ex-rentals. Ex-rentals are great because you get to see masses of previews of other films at the time of the movie's release. Great way to discover other unknown gems :)

That Creepshow VHS is featured prominently on top of my media shelves with modern day DVD box sets and the like. It helps that Creepshow has been one of my favorite movies ever since I was a kid/teenager.

Resident_Hazard

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:44 am 

martinsane wrote:

I have kept a good couple of handfuls of VHS tapes that as mentioned are likely to never see a dvd release and also as mentioned a few others that are just cool, IE: the original Evil Dead in the giant cardboard box.

And the comment about they are worth what someone will pay just look on Ebay is just a dumb comment and certainly anything but helpful.

On topic: I don't know of a site devoted to VHS tape collectors/collections, but it sounds like a cool and happening place to me!

I have special numbered editions of Evil Dead and Army of Darkness in those "late 90s/early 2000s" clamshells.

It's probably obvious, but if you're looking for collectible VHS, always check garage sales. The collector's market for those hasn't yet reached a point where average people think they're valuable, so you can usually walk away with an armful of videos for almost no money.

I'm usually on the look-out for old video games, and once bought up a bunch of empty Genesis cases (with manuals, in great shape), and then went to a used media store and bought the games for the cases. Unlike VHS, people will frequently charge ridiculous prices for gaming goods at garage sales. Even if they don't know what the fuck they are.

Oh, and there's this: VHS Collector. Because what I needed was another internet rabbit hole to get lost in.

aaronmb666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 12:40 pm 

You mightve been able to sell some 'limited edition' dvd's at a good price 10 years ago, but with so many different blu rays and downloading now, I think youd be lucky to get what you paid for it. I paid the Army of Darkness dvd(one of the numbered ones) and I think I may have sold it for $30-40. Right now, people are trying to sell it on ebay for at least $50.

RepulsiveVenom
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 3:58 am 

Creepshow deserves more praise than it gets. Mine's in a box in storage at the moment :( But I'll be attaining it back in the new year. It's also one of my favourite films since I was a kid too. I recorded it off television when I was about 9 or 10 years old, I still have that copy too for nostalgic reasons :)

Resident_Hazard

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 11:25 am 

RepulsiveVenom wrote:
Creepshow deserves more praise than it gets. Mine's in a box in storage at the moment :( But I'll be attaining it back in the new year. It's also one of my favourite films since I was a kid too. I recorded it off television when I was about 9 or 10 years old, I still have that copy too for nostalgic reasons :)

Ha, we (my brother and I) also had Creepshow recorded from television. One of my mom's friends recorded it for us. But before that, we had the original comic publication. It was my Mom's, but my brother and I spent years deceptively sneaking it back and forth to "claim" it as ours. He won. He has it somewhere. I haven't seen it in years. But our recorded-from-TV version of Creepshow didn't have They're Creeping Up on You, so for a long time we thought that fifth story was never made in the movie. It must have been cut to shorten run-time or because it had the most swearing.

false_icon
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 12:39 pm 

Resident_Hazard wrote:
Oh, and there's this: VHS Collector. Because what I needed was another internet rabbit hole to get lost in.

:oh shit:

my trade list

Resident_Hazard

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 4:05 pm 

false_icon wrote:
Resident_Hazard wrote:

:oh shit:

That's weird, usually my anal is on Resident_HazardsAnal.anal.

I suppose I should change the name. It's about being a clean-freak.

Hindsight.

argento420
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 8:35 pm 

Exigence wrote:
I've been looking for a DVD of "The Unholy". It's very rare and apparently only in the one of those horror movie packs. Great, 80s horror movie from 1988, shot in New Orleans. I had it bootlegged on VHS when I was really little.

I mention that because it's on a list I read online of "Most valuable horror dvds".

The Unholy is currently available on a 8 pack movie set from lionsgate (decent quality, I own it)
http://www.amazon.com/Collection-976-EV ... collection

RepulsiveVenom
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 8:57 pm 

Resident_Hazard wrote:
RepulsiveVenom wrote:

Ha, we (my brother and I) also had Creepshow recorded from television. One of my mom's friends recorded it for us. But before that, we had the original comic publication. It was my Mom's, but my brother and I spent years deceptively sneaking it back and forth to "claim" it as ours. He won. He has it somewhere. I haven't seen it in years. But our recorded-from-TV version of Creepshow didn't have They're Creeping Up on You, so for a long time we thought that fifth story was never made in the movie. It must have been cut to shorten run-time or because it had the most swearing.

Cutting off They're Creeping Up on You is blasphemy! I've got the comic publication too, I bought it on Ebay years ago.

Nameless_Rites
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 6:59 am 

The best way to check the REAL value of any item is to go to Ebay or equivalent, do an Advanced Search, check "sold items" for the item. It will show the auctions that have already ended. That way you can see what people over the last six months or whatever have paid for it and when.

AblackanatioN
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 2:12 pm 

A site that I use quite a bit is Filmaf.com. It mainly posts msrp values so it's not super accurate, but great if you're a collector and want to check out different versions of dvds & blurays (no vhs though). Also shows if a disc is out of print. I was looking for a site to keep track of my collection, and this was the best one I could find.

Reply to topic