Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Search   * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
BrutalizerUtilizerOfTheShadows
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:10 am 

Demon Hunter will be releasing a new album in March of 2017 entitled "Outlive," and they have just debuted the first single from it with a lyric video:

Youtube: show

I've only had the chance to listen to it once and I thought it was pretty good. Somewhat different than what they've been going for on recent albums but it's just one song, I'm curious to see what the whole album sounds like. Also here's the album art:

Kerrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 1:10 pm 

I never really cared for their music but saw them open for In Flames and thought they were fun.
I really dig that cover art.

Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 1:44 pm 

Yeah it's always some variation of their logo, the "Demon Hunter Skull," but I think this one is the coolest one yet.

Kerrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 2:03 pm 

Agreed, though they've had some pretty rad artwork in the past too.

Haha, I can't think about them without thinking of this:

Fun times back in the day at the 'ol Becoming The Archetype boards.

nestee8
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 2:38 pm 

These guys are pretty much what Five Finger Death Punch wishes they sound like.

Also, would be cool if they made a triple album. The first disc being groove metal (like Devildriver), the second being metalcore (like Killswitch Engage), and the third being alternative metal (like Staind).

Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 3:26 pm 

nestee8 wrote:
These guys are pretty much what Five Finger Death Punch wishes they sound like.

Also, would be cool if they made a triple album. The first disc being groove metal (like Devildriver), the second being metalcore (like Killswitch Engage), and the third being alternative metal (like Staind).

That's a cool idea, but what I've always like about them is that they combine all those things on each album. They always seem to have a lot of good heavy Metalcore/Rock songs and then a few that are straight up melodic ballads.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 6:27 pm 

Haven't heard from these guys in a long time. I was a fan back in my teens but tapped out right after Triptych was released. By that point, I moved into melodic death and black metal. Tried to revisit that early material a year or two ago and I just couldn't do it. Too much nu-metal and shit. Seeing this thread I wondered if they ever dropped it. So I went on youtube and just picked whichever looked ok, a song called "Dead Flowers". Sounds like generic rock but you know what, it's pleasant. Definitely enjoyable, and so are some other tracks on it. Other songs are a bit too much on the nu / metalcore side and I try to not pay attention to the lyrics when they get real preachy.

Edit: listening to True Defiance, they sound better when they're NOT attempting to be heavy. At least the clean stuff knows what it wants to be. The aggressive parts stink.

Edit 2: "My Destiny" wtf this is the one song with different riffing than the rest. Thought I was listening to a different band. Sounds like a melodic death song.

One thing is that they've always had good cover art, albeit just variations of their symbol.

Spoiler: show
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Last edited by OzzyApu on Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
nestee8
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:25 pm 

BrutalizerUtilizerOfTheShadows wrote:
That's a cool idea, but what I've always like about them is that they combine all those things on each album. They always seem to have a lot of good heavy Metalcore/Rock songs and then a few that are straight up melodic ballads.

Lately I've been thinking about such an album being based on Dante's The Divine Comedy. The first disc being Inferno, the second being Purgatory, and the third being Paradise.

OzzyApu wrote:
One thing is that they've always had good cover art, albeit just variations of their symbol.

Spoiler: show

Would be cool if the skull for the album after this would look a bit similar to the face of the mascot of Disturbed.

Erosion of Humanity
I bless the rains down in Africa!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:57 pm 

Cool! Love me some Demon Hunter, and I do own all their albums. The last few have been a bit iffy for me but I'll pick this one up as well. Also love their album art.

Margaret Atwood wrote:
War is what happens when language fails.

Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:21 am 

They released the track listing and supposedly their going to have different album art for each version of the album.

The left picture will be for digital and CD releases, whereas the right will be for vinyl. Not sure what that original version they released will be used for.

01. “Trying Times”
02. “Jesus Wept”
03. “Cold Winter Sun”
04. “Died in My Sleep”
05. “Half as Dead”
06. “Cold Blood”
07. “One Step Behind”
08. “Raining Down”
09. “The End”
10. “One Less”
11. “Patience”
12. “Slight the Odds”

Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:49 am 

They put out a new video for the song 'Died in my Sleep':

Youtube: show

I haven't actually had the chance to watch it yet but I've heard the song. It sounds like one of their more ballad/clean vocal songs which they've always had. I'm really curious to hear the rest of this album.

ObservationSlave
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:34 pm 

I haven't listened to these guys in forever, but "Cold Winter Sun" sounds really cool, so I might have to check this one out.

volutetheswarth
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:53 am 

That first cover art is pretty cool. The music however is EEHH, it sounds like later Ill Nino song or something equally bland.

Thexhumed
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:42 pm 

I've never listened to these guys, I'm not into this type of rock, still I played the song and for the first seconds I thought "what? are they playing a sort of Swedish DM now?" but my hopes quickly banished as the song went by.

Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:15 am 

Thexhumed wrote:
I've never listened to these guys, I'm not into this type of rock, still I played the song and for the first seconds I thought "what? are they playing a sort of Swedish DM now?" but my hopes quickly banished as the song went by.

They've always kind of mixed a Gothenburg take on metalcore mixed with ballad-driven alternative (and some nu metal in their early days). But they've always kind of stuck with the same formula, but still matured at the same time with each album. I've always enjoyed what they've done just because I can't think of any band that mixes all the elements the way they do in a way that's actually cohesive. Plus they were one of the first metal bands I got into long ago so they'll always be one of my favorites!

Reply to topic