* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
TheOldOne
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:39 am 

RageW wrote:
TheOldOne wrote:
SAO wasn't exactly original (What is anyway), but it looked good and was fairly charming, a popcorn show IMO.

I hope it's mildly entertaining. My girlfriend's gonna make me watch it.

Have you read the premise? The show can be broken into two main parts, the actual Sword Art Online Saga and the Alfheim Online
Spoiler: show
Rescue the fair maiden
Saga.

The initial events of the show wrap up fairly quickly, but they also are the spawning point for the shit that the rest of the show deals with. Note: There is cheese.

It was reasonably enjoyable for me. But I don't really discriminate.

Know some other folks who think it's the best thing of 2012 though.

last.fm

ghost223
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:12 pm 

Watched Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust this morning. And wow, what a film. I picked up the first volume of the novels yesterday on a whim, and after reading it decided to track this movie down on youtube. I'm pretty damn impressed, easily one of my favorite anime films now.

I've also been watching the complete series of Sorcerous Stabber Orphen since I got it for xmas, and while its not the best anime out there, I'm really enjoying what it has to offer.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:31 pm 

Bloodlust is, indeed, a great anime film, and much better than its paltry low-budget 80s predecessor.

On a similar note, I watched the 2nd Berserk movie, The Battle for Doldrey, earlier today. The 1st movie was an absolute travesty to the franchise, but its sequel was much better. They still omitted a lot of critical scenes, but what they did leave in was handled with much more competence.

ghost223
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:51 pm 

Zelkiiro wrote:
On a similar note, I watched the 2nd Berserk movie, The Battle for Doldrey, earlier today. The 1st movie was an absolute travesty to the franchise, but its sequel was much better. They still omitted a lot of critical scenes, but what they did leave in was handled with much more competence.

That's kind of disappointing to hear about the first film. I was looking forward to the new films for a while and then they just kind of fell off of my radar. I'll have to check them out.

metaldiscussor666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:15 pm 

I just saw the first episode an epic anime called Violence Jack. It's easily my new favorite anime (next to the first 3 episodes of genocyber). These characters were so unbelievably badass. The animation was really gritty. I mean like, it looks like no software was used to create it. There's blood& gore, rape, violence, even something that resembles heavy metal music in the background. Easily my new favorite anime. Fuck moe anime. I hate elfen lied for adding cute animation to blood and gore. Somehow, that anime succeeded in in becoming extremely popular. Give me a break. Violence Jack KILLS! (lol pun)

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:27 pm 

I think I read the first few chapters of the Violence Jack manga, but I remember nothing about it. I must not have liked it... I remember it being just incredibly dull and even the over the top violence (the thing that attracts me most to manga in the first place) wasn't very entertaining.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

metaldiscussor666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:34 pm 

BastardHead wrote:
I think I read the first few chapters of the Violence Jack manga, but I remember nothing about it. I must not have liked it... I remember it being just incredibly dull and even the over the top violence (the thing that attracts me most to manga in the first place) wasn't very entertaining.

The video I watched makes absolutely no sense. I thought it was totally fun though. If you're looking for something deep, look away. If you like blood and gore, violence, ridiculous rape scenes (lol, I could go with or without that), and a good time, then violence jack is for you. I think it's badass.

Like I said, I'm only like one episode in.

Can anyone else recommend another violent anime that's not moe like elfen lied or higurashi?

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:05 am 

metaldiscussor666 wrote:
BastardHead wrote:

The video I watched makes absolutely no sense. I thought it was totally fun though. If you're looking for something deep, look away. If you like blood and gore, violence, ridiculous rape scenes (lol, I could go with or without that), and a good time, then violence jack is for you. I think it's badass.

Like I said, I'm only like one episode in.

Can anyone else recommend another violent anime that's not moe like elfen lied or higurashi?

If you truly are an eight year old spaz who just wants blood and guts, they made an anime of the first half of Shigurui, and that's pretty lame outside of the crazily graphic violence. Keep in mind though I typically stick to manga.

Also, shut the goddamn fuck up about how awesome the rape scenes are. Reevaluate yourself and don't pipe up again until you become a stable human being, christ.
the reason your grandmother has all those plastic sheets on her furniture is because she is probably a squirter

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:11 am 

Hey guys, I'm watching Berserk these days (I know, I'm entry level about Anime) and there's TITS in it, wicked eh!

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

metaldiscussor666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:13 am 

BastardHead wrote:
If you truly are an eight year old spaz who just wants blood and guts, they made an anime of the first half of Shigurui, and that's pretty lame outside of the crazily graphic violence. Keep in mind though I typically stick to manga.

Also, shut the goddamn fuck up about how awesome the rape scenes are. Reevaluate yourself and don't pipe up again until you become a stable human being, christ.

Whoa, this is hands down the most stuck up reply I have ever seen on this website. There's absolutely no need to be that rude. I said I could go without the rape scenes anyways. I didn't mean I like the rape scenes.

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:35 am 

metaldiscussor666 wrote:
Whoa, this is hands down the most stuck up reply I have ever seen on this website. There's absolutely no need to be that rude. I said I could go without the rape scenes anyways. I didn't mean I like the rape scenes.

Dude you brought them up twice with no provocation, both when talking about how awesome the anime is. Don't be thick.

I should also point out that one of the things I love about manga (and anime by extension) is the completely ludicrous violence. With ink and paper you can do some of the most creative, imaginative, over-the-top things with a fraction of the budget needed for a film or something. I've read manga like Ichi the Killer because it's like the equivalent of those crazy 80s/90s action movies I adore so much, with far less restrictions. The difference is that I don't present myself like a child. You could have asked for things similar to Violence Jack and I'd've kept my mouth shut because I'm not really an expert, but when you instead go on about how epic and badass it is and how other things suck for being cute and not gory enough and then casually toss in rape as one of the celebratory aspects of what it is you like, you bet your ass I'm going to call you on it.

metaldiscussor666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:42 am 

BastardHead wrote:
metaldiscussor666 wrote:

Dude you brought them up twice with no provocation, both when talking about how awesome the anime is. Don't be thick.

I should also point out that one of the things I love about manga (and anime by extension) is the completely ludicrous violence. With ink and paper you can do some of the most creative, imaginative, over-the-top things with a fraction of the budget needed for a film or something. I've read manga like Ichi the Killer because it's like the equivalent of those crazy 80s/90s action movies I adore so much, with far less restrictions. The difference is that I don't present myself like a child. You could have asked for things similar to Violence Jack and I'd've kept my mouth shut because I'm not really an expert, but when you instead go on about how epic and badass it is and how other things suck for being cute and not gory enough and then casually toss in rape as one of the celebratory aspects of what it is you like, you bet your ass I'm going to call you on it.
You basically insulted me and I took offense to that. I hope that isn't too surprising. I was just making a post, and you came swooping in out of nowhere and started calling me out for I don't know what reason. Seriously, why not just ignore me if my post bothered you that much? I'm not even trying to make a comeback or a statement, I'm just plainly curious. I said "if you like rape" and I threw it in with the other aspects of the show with complete reckless abandon. I'm not even sure what I'm supposed to feel sorry for; that you took my post the wrong way?

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:47 am 

I will simply remind you that I've banned you for 2 weeks recently.

I think whoever read the posts read RAPE SCENES the first time you wrote it, it's a bit weird to say the least that you mentioned the same thing in your other post. We got it. BH had the total right to act like he did and he has my full support.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

BastardHead
Worse than Stalin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:47 am 

Let's not keep bogging down the thread with this. PM me if you really don't understand.

Sorry for the diversion, folks. Keep on keepin' on.

Zelkiiro

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:48 am 

Metantoine wrote:
Hey guys, I'm watching Berserk these days (I know, I'm entry level about Anime) and there's TITS in it, wicked eh!

Berserk is awesome. But the first movie in the new line of remakes is abysmal. I'm working on a review for the second one, but it's a huge improvement.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:36 pm 

Zelkiiro wrote:
Metantoine wrote:

[Berserk is awesome.

Zel in his blog wrote:
If there are any walls in your house that are not peppered with holes upon finishing this series, you have the self-control of a legion of Shaolin monks.

Perfect description on the subject of the ending. :lol:
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Zelkiiro

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:50 pm 

Time to revive this thread from its tragic demise by talking about Fate/Zero! *yaaaayyyy*

I wasn't expecting much, since 2006's Fate/Stay Night was a load of garbage, but holy shit its prequel is awesome. Tremendous animation, varied and mature(ly written) characters, and a pretty damn unpredictable plot. The sad thing, though, is that the ending has to remind us that the series is unfortunately chained to, as Gigguk puts it, its retarded half-brother.

When my review of the series is finished (which should be sometime this weekend), it will be here.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:58 pm 

I have F/SN somewhere on my computer but haven't watched it yet. It can't be that bad, can it?
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Zelkiiro

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:59 pm 

OzzyApu wrote:
I have F/SN somewhere on my computer but haven't watched it yet. It can't be that bad, can it?

Well, while it's not outright terrible, it's pretty fuckin' boring and mediocre as shit.

Oh, and people die if they are killed!

Marag
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:53 pm 

The anime adaptation for F/SN is notoriously shitty(so is the Tsukihime one btw)
I have Fate/Zero in computer, have to remember to watch it someday

Anyone here is watching Robotics;Notes? It's kinda of a spiritual sucessor to Steins;Gate(which I am watching too now that I finished the vn). This show is going places.

VoidApostle
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:27 pm 

Kill Me Baby. Never before have I watched something that was so mind-numbingly boring yet still somehow able to be entertaining. Every single scene is exactly the same. Yasuna does something silly/stupid, Sonya loses her patience and hits her. Every goddamn scene for 13 episodes.
But I was amused enough to watch it to the end. :scratch:

Marag
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:33 am 

Heard about that one. Sounds like mental retardation in animated form

I finished watching Kaiji some days ago. Shit is is so good. If you haven't yet, watch it, bitch.
ざわ。。。ざわ。。。

TheOldOne
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:26 pm 

Started playing through Tsukihime, going for Arcueid's route. Haven't really played any VNs before, I'm enjoying this so far.

It's a little weird when I hit a bad ending out of nowhere.

The one ero scene I've encountered so far was fanfiction levels of cheesy though, I was laughing all the way through it

last.fm

Marag
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:28 pm 

TheOldOne wrote:
Started playing through Tsukihime, going for Arcueid's route. Haven't really played any VNs before, I'm enjoying this so far.

It's a little weird when I hit a bad ending out of nowhere.

The one ero scene I've encountered so far was fanfiction levels of cheesy though, I was laughing all the way through it

mollusk sex

i have to play the other routes for Tsukihime sometime, i only finished the Arcueid one in my playthrough
its pretty good, far better than Fate/Stay Night

TheOldOne
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:44 am 

Well... I finished Arcueid's route, that true ending was sobworthy. Fortunately the good ending is a thing, I feel somewhat better now. Guess I go for Ciel's route now. What I'm hearing is that the Tohno household routes you unlock after you complete both the Near Moon routes have some terribly depressing plots but it's gonna take me awhile to reach them.

I'll probably play F/SN when I'm done with Tsukihime.

last.fm

Marag
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:18 am 

TheOldOne wrote:
Well... I finished Arcueid's route, that true ending was sobworthy.

Yeah, no shit. I also heard the same about the household routes but I have yet to see them for myself. In fact, as soon as I finish the Higurashi VN I'll go replay Tsukihime, thanks for reminding.

And F/SN is a fucking bible, took me so long to complete one route, it's insane.

Evangelion2014
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:54 am 

Marag wrote:
Heard about that one. Sounds like mental retardation in animated form

I finished watching Kaiji some days ago. Shit is is so good. If you haven't yet, watch it, bitch.
ざわ。。。ざわ。。。

Kaiji is awesome and needs way more recognition, though I does have a cult following. A lot of the characters aren't developed fully, but it's not needed because kaiji himself is so likeable, tonegawa's speeches are well put together, and even endoh and sakazaki get interesting development in part 2. The bridge arc wasn't really great and the bog arc got padded a little bit, but those are really minor flaws considering how the series makes PACHINKO epic and hugely intense. I've even read as far as the manga has been translated, which is also worth reading.

Does anyone else fail to see what is so great about the aria series? I watched the first 13 episode bit and was bored out of my mind. Granted, it did conjure up some nice atmosphere and was relaxing, but certain music does the exact same thing, and aside from that there isn't really any good reason to watch it. There basically is no plot for the 13 episodes that I watched other than the characters vague goal of becoming gondola drivers. Having no plot is fine, but the problem is the characters aren't any good either. They're pretty much all moeblobs who can be described in a short blurb, one is ditzy and determined, another is mysterious and quiet, one is strict and perfetionist; I can't remember their names or the other minor characters because their names all start with the letter a and aren't very memorable. It's not bad in any sense, it's just overhyped.

I have serei no moribito sitting on my hard drive, anyone have any opinions about it?

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:02 am 

Same director as Stand Alone Complex, it's definitely good stuff but left open a bit in the end.

Kaiji is definitely incredible stuff, I still need to see the second season myself. The first was insanely addicting too, finished the whole thing in a weekend I think lol.

Iggnsthe
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:15 pm 

Just watched the first part of season one of Squid Girl with my room mates, which was pretty fun. Definitely a few strange moments, one involving a shrimp costume, but so far it's proven to be pretty worthwhile. I'll probably buy the second part when I get the chance to do so.

Zelkiiro

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:01 am 

Story Time: About 7 years ago, I saw Fate/Stay Night when the speed subs were just coming out. It blew chunks, and I promptly forgot about it. 6 years later, I saw Fate/Zero, and it was awesome, though slightly familiar. Then just this week, I saw Fate/Stay Night again, and it was even more horrible than I remembered it being.

And now I'm watching Fate/Zero again, and it's even more awesome than I remembered it being. I so took its high quality for granted.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:54 am 

I've been back in an anime kick and started watching Toshokan Sensō (Library War). Strange concept, but mildly entertaining.

corpsewithoutsoul
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:56 pm 

I don't care much for anime. I think it's usually quite awful save for a few gems, but the same can be said about a lot of things.
I enjoy simple things like Dragon Ball, it's more entertaining in japanese with subs.

Zelkiiro

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:37 pm 

And now, my review of Fate/Stay Night. Yes, it did, in fact, suck that much.

That's contrasted with my review of Fate/Zero, which is still amazing.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:27 pm 

Zelkiiro wrote:
And now, my review of Fate/Stay Night. Yes, it did, in fact, suck that much.

This was amazingly convincing for two reasons:

1. the depth of the characters not being as up to par as I thought they'd be. Fanservice also can get very annoying and unnecessary.

2. the CGI dragon. I clicked your link and :lol:

I kept the time in just so people knew I wasn't pulling it out of my ass.
Holy shit :lol: :lol: :lol:

Zelkiiro

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:40 pm 

Watch out, Shirou! That dragon can take your arm off by sideswiping you!

TheOldOne
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:45 pm 

I have that show on one of my HDDs, might watch if I ever finish the VN.

Anyone else watching Zetsuen no Tempest? Pretty good show I'd say.

last.fm

ChildClownOutlet
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:16 am 

Oh man, FSN was pretty bad, but I disagree on your review of the soundtrack, it was pretty amazing!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJXw0lL5-vA

Evangelion2014
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:41 pm 

Blacklinkz wrote:
I see a terrible lack of Monster, Noir and Ideon in this thread.

SHAME ON YOU ALL!!!

Though I've seen some good series/movies being called out thus far, namely:

Rouroni Kenshin
Trigun
Vampire Hunter D
Evangelion
Ghost in the Shell
Serial Experiments Lain

Very good stuff, those.

And, on a side note, and just to make a statement: even though I don't play it anymore, Magic: The Gathering is just a MUCH BETTER TCG than Yu-Gi-Oh!, in every possible aspect. Period.

Hold up there, Monster is in my top 5 series. It's just a flat out masterpiece that everyone should see. Especially people who think that death note is the greatest anime ever . The problem with death note really is that the first half of cat and mouse is far better then the second half where they add in a bunch of new characters like near and mello, it kind of just runs out of steam towards the end; also, they don't allow the story to progress at a fast pace because they try to invoke 'EPIC ATMOSPHERE WITH LATIN CHANTS AND MYSTERY' where I was waiting for the next leg of the plot to happen, simply because the plot is what the series does best. The characters are pretty one note, misa pretty much just obsesses over light, light is the 'well intentioned extremist', light's dad is the 'good cop', mamura is kind of just a well meaning idiot: they aren't given a lot of depth, especially when the show starts throwing in new characters. It's still a good show but its overrated: honestly I just read the manga so I could move through the plot at my own pace rather than having to sit through the show.

Monster on the other hand, touches on a lot of the same moral questions (is it moral to kill murderers outside of the justice system?) that death note does but on a deeper level and is just a better show all around. First, the art portraying central europe is absolutely beautiful. The large cast of characters is fully devloped and very sympathetic, and the plot revolves around revealing certain things about the characters, developing multiple plot threads and tying
it into the base game of cat and mouse between Johann and Tenma and when everything does come together I was blown away by the conclusion. I have to give special mention to Johann just because he's such an entertaining antagonist and pretty much makes light look like a petulent child in terms of badassery, and he doesn't need a magic notebook to do so.

I suppose I should really watch Ideon as a fan of evangelion, since it's also a very grim deconsturctive mecha series.

maidenpriestmanic
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:41 pm 

I been rewatching the entire dragon ball series, haha such a blast from the past!

cultofkraken
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:06 am 

I'm enjoying Soul Eater currently... Especially Excalibur..... FOOL!

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43 ... 61  Next