Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:24 am 

There's no way anything Fate/Night related can be good. That shit was awful.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:35 pm 

Xeogred wrote:

There's no way anything Fate/Night related can be good. That shit was awful.

Fate/Zero is fuckin' amazing, though. Just pretend Fate/Stay Night doesn't exist.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:56 pm 

I haven't deleted F/SN from my computer yet but god damnit I ought to right now. Wow are these clips I'm seeing bad.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

bj_waters
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:06 pm 

Evangelion2014 wrote:
Hold up there, Monster is in my top 5 series. It's just a flat out masterpiece that everyone should see. Especially people who think that death note is the greatest anime ever. . . . It's still a good show but its overrated: honestly I just read the manga so I could move through the plot at my own pace rather than having to sit through the show.

Monster on the other hand, touches on a lot of the same moral questions (is it moral to kill murderers outside of the justice system?) that death note does but on a deeper level and is just a better show all around.

I might have said so before on this thread (I can't remember), but I've seen Monster and I wasn't that impressed. I admit I hadn't thought of comparing it to Death Note, but that might be because I consider Death Note to basically be Dragon Ball Z with tricks instead of martial arts (I still like it, but I don't think it's THE BEST). Anyways, Monster: My main issue with it is that it drags a little too much. Yes, I understand that the pacing is different for a reason, that this is a different kind of story that requires time and pacing to really sort through what it's trying to go for, but I still feel that they could have cut 10-15 episodes' worth of content and ended up with a show that is just as good, if not better. (Some of those episodes in the 50s really bog down the pacing). I recognize that the characters are nuanced and complex, but after a while, I kind of stopped caring. Once I got past the half-way point, the only thing that kept me going was to see if Johann would die or not, because I desperately wanted him to. I also feel that, because it is SUCH a faithful adaptation of the manga, it actually stifles the series in a way. There are things that work in manga that just don't work in anime, as they are two different mediums, and I think there were quite a few moments where it felt like watching a comic book rather than a cartoon.

Let may at least say that I don't think Monster is bad. There are few anime series like it, and I'm totally fine with the fact that people love it (to each their own). The thing that gets me is when Monster fans recommend the series without taking time to explain that one needs to adjust their expectations for it. While it certainly is MUCH deeper than the likes of Death Note or Code Geass (which was basically Death Note with Gundams), I do kind of wish MadHouse took some liberties to tighten up the story and liven up the pacing a little. It's okay for a story to go slow and build over time, just don't make it a dirge.

I guess what I'm saying is that Monster is the funeral doom of anime. Huh. Okay.

In other news, I just watched Children who Chase Lost Voices (thanks to CrunchyRoll's "Makoto Shinkai Day") and I have to admit I was disappointed. I generally like Shinkia's work because the backgrounds are amazing while having some unique stories. CwCLS, however, feels like a Ghilbli homage that has so far, it has no character of its own (much like Fractale, if anyone saw that). While the animation was beautiful, stuff just kind of HAPPENED without any proper explanation of why, often resorting to coincidences to move things forward. The heroine's motivations felt thread-bare at best, and it feels like she's just along for the ride for no better reason than to see what the other characters are going to do. Still, it was a pretty movie, with some neat action sequences (and I agree that a machine-gun-firing helicopter would liven up a handful of Ghilbli films), so I suggest that it's worth watching, if only once.

Marag
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:58 pm 

I watched Jin-Roh The Wolf Brigade sometime ago, I think I already mentioned on this thread but anyway, very good movie, definetly recommended.
I'm also almost on the end of the Kara no Kyoukai series, I still have to watch the prologue though.

I finished the Shigurui manga too. While I liked the story having some sort of closure(what a fucking assholish ending though) and the characters being more fleshed out, I think I still prefer the anime because of the atmosphere it has, excellent combination of visual+sounds as complement to the story imo.

And I have to say, those last seasons sucked ass. I thought Psycho-Pass and Robotic;Notes would be good but they were disappointing as hell, with shit pacing. Kotoura-San seemed promising but it blew up, everything else sucks hard, the only good thing is JoJo.

Anyway I've been playing the Higurashi visual novel. I finished the first arc, Onikakushi, pretty good, but damn this thing is way too long, how is my lazy ass supposed to keep up with so much text

ChildClownOutlet
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:35 pm 

Marag wrote:
I watched Jin-Roh The Wolf Brigade sometime ago, I think I already mentioned on this thread but anyway, very good movie, definitely recommended.
I'm also almost on the end of the Kara no Kyoukai series, I still have to watch the prologue though.

I finished the Shigurui manga too. While I liked the story having some sort of closure(what a fucking assholish ending though) and the characters being more fleshed out, I think I still prefer the anime because of the atmosphere it has, excellent combination of visual+sounds as complement to the story imo.

And I have to say, those last seasons sucked ass. I thought Psycho-Pass and Robotic;Notes would be good but they were disappointing as hell, with shit pacing. Kotoura-San seemed promising but it blew up, everything else sucks hard, the only good thing is JoJo.

Anyway I've been playing the Higurashi visual novel. I finished the first arc, Onikakushi, pretty good, but damn this thing is way too long, how is my lazy ass supposed to keep up with so much text

I thought Psycho Pass was great, but the ending was a little too anti climatic. I would've thought something that Urobutcher makes would have SOME closure.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:44 pm 

CrushedRevelation wrote:
Been watching the Bleach series from the very beginning (300 plus episodes), and while it's most certainly entertaining, there are some episodes which are somewhat tedious. The constant need to break away from the main story arc can also be frustrating at times, even if some of these offshoots are watchable. The obligatory humour throughout most of this is quite good though, and there's enough in the storyline to keep me coming back. Even if it's only out a completist mentality now.

The first 25 or so episodes are quality shounen, then it gets slightly worse but still tolerable. When the major filler starts at episode 60 or so, it never recovers even after the anime starts following the manga again. Half of each episode is dedicated to derping around and embarrassing stuff, and every battle is excessively drawn out. The Arrancars are pretty disappointing aswell. :( I expected something really awesome, and I thought the Vasto Lorde made into Arrancar would essentially be so strong that no Shinigami could take them on alone, aside from maybe the Visored (and by extension, Ichigo). The story advances at a snail's pace, and with so much building up tension and sitting through boring, pointless scenes (and the obligatory total filler shite episode in every ten episodes or something), every actual event is bound to feel disappointing.

All that said, it has been more than five years since I watched the early episodes. Maybe they aren't much better, and I'm just seeing them through rose coloured glasses.

Depersonalizationilosophy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:47 pm 

cultofkraken wrote:
I'm enjoying Soul Eater currently... Especially Excalibur..... FOOL!

Yeah Soul Eater was pretty cool hehe. The English dub was pretty horrible but the original Japanese did an awesome job with the voice acting. Excalibur was awesome haha a lot of people hated him but i thought he was a nice addition. My favorite character was the swordsman who fought BlackStar. His name escapes me but he's definitely my favorite. It was a decent anime. BAKA!!!

Marag
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:50 pm 

ChildClownOutlet wrote:

I thought Psycho Pass was great, but the ending was a little too anti climatic. I would've thought something that Urobutcher makes would have SOME closure.

extremely bad pacing imo. at least 10 eps were complete bullshit that went nowhere(like the spookie boogie ones fuck those were bad). it wasn't until the crime coefficient-concealling masks were introduced that the show started going somewhere, and even then it lost focus sometimes.
the ending was too open-ended. Shogo's death didn't changed anything, Kagari's and Masaoka's deaths too felt like nothing, Kogami simply disappeared to fuck knows where, Yayoi and the blonde chick might as well not exist. Only Akane and Ginoza got some development. i thought that the new inspector being a classmate of that psycho artist girl was sweet though, as were Akake's introduction speech to her being almost word for word the same Ginoza gave to her when she was a newbie.

it also had a distinct lack of urobutchering, which isn't necessarily bad.

cultofkraken
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:32 am 

Depersonalizationilosophy wrote:

Yeah Soul Eater was pretty cool hehe. The English dub was pretty horrible but the original Japanese did an awesome job with the voice acting. Excalibur was awesome haha a lot of people hated him but i thought he was a nice addition. My favorite character was the swordsman who fought BlackStar. His name escapes me but he's definitely my favorite. It was a decent anime. BAKA!!!

Yeah I'd like to watch the original Japanese. Netflix is currently streaming the English dub and honestly it was just a blind pick but I am very glad I found it! The samurai who fought blackstar (Mifune I believe) is certainly an interesting character, and I was impressed with the complexity of each character in this series.

Evangelion2014
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:51 am 

bj_waters wrote:
Evangelion2014 wrote:
Hold up there, Monster is in my top 5 series. It's just a flat out masterpiece that everyone should see. Especially people who think that death note is the greatest anime ever. . . . It's still a good show but its overrated: honestly I just read the manga so I could move through the plot at my own pace rather than having to sit through the show.

Monster on the other hand, touches on a lot of the same moral questions (is it moral to kill murderers outside of the justice system?) that death note does but on a deeper level and is just a better show all around.

I might have said so before on this thread (I can't remember), but I've seen Monster and I wasn't that impressed. I admit I hadn't thought of comparing it to Death Note, but that might be because I consider Death Note to basically be Dragon Ball Z with tricks instead of martial arts (I still like it, but I don't think it's THE BEST). Anyways, Monster: My main issue with it is that it drags a little too much. Yes, I understand that the pacing is different for a reason, that this is a different kind of story that requires time and pacing to really sort through what it's trying to go for, but I still feel that they could have cut 10-15 episodes' worth of content and ended up with a show that is just as good, if not better. (Some of those episodes in the 50s really bog down the pacing). I recognize that the characters are nuanced and complex, but after a while, I kind of stopped caring. Once I got past the half-way point, the only thing that kept me going was to see if Johann would die or not, because I desperately wanted him to. I also feel that, because it is SUCH a faithful adaptation of the manga, it actually stifles the series in a way. There are things that work in manga that just don't work in anime, as they are two different mediums, and I think there were quite a few moments where it felt like watching a comic book rather than a cartoon.

Let may at least say that I don't think Monster is bad. There are few anime series like it, and I'm totally fine with the fact that people love it (to each their own). The thing that gets me is when Monster fans recommend the series without taking time to explain that one needs to adjust their expectations for it. While it certainly is MUCH deeper than the likes of Death Note or Code Geass (which was basically Death Note with Gundams), I do kind of wish MadHouse took some liberties to tighten up the story and liven up the pacing a little. It's okay for a story to go slow and build over time, just don't make it a dirge.

I guess what I'm saying is that Monster is the funeral doom of anime. Huh. Okay.

In other news, I just watched Children who Chase Lost Voices (thanks to CrunchyRoll's "Makoto Shinkai Day") and I have to admit I was disappointed. I generally like Shinkia's work because the backgrounds are amazing while having some unique stories. CwCLS, however, feels like a Ghilbli homage that has so far, it has no character of its own (much like Fractale, if anyone saw that). While the animation was beautiful, stuff just kind of HAPPENED without any proper explanation of why, often resorting to coincidences to move things forward. The heroine's motivations felt thread-bare at best, and it feels like she's just along for the ride for no better reason than to see what the other characters are going to do. Still, it was a pretty movie, with some neat action sequences (and I agree that a machine-gun-firing helicopter would liven up a handful of Ghilbli films), so I suggest that it's worth watching, if only once.

Your analysis on monster is fair enough, and I haven't read the manga so I might have a different perspective on it. I mainly make the comparison to death note in that a lot of the cat and mouse games are somewhat similar and they're both really well regarded mystery series; it's just that people overrate the hell out of it on myanimelist.net. I think death note was a fun manga that's defintely worth reading but there's people over there giving it 10/10 with regularity. Keep in mind according to myanimelist I only have something like 25 days put into anime so I'm not hugely well versed in it.

Speaking of overrated series, I watched mirai nikki on the premise (death note + battle royale basically, where cell phones predict the future and the fact that norio wakamoto PLAYS GOD but... it was above average mindless fun. The journals (which predict the future in certain ways) weren't really fleshed out the way the death notes are in death note and kind of just do whatever the plot needs them to do and the characters are all simplistic and one note.

Also, has anyone heard of zipang? I tore through the first 16 episodes in a day and have to pick it up again; basically it takes place when advanced jsdf cruiser gets transported back into the pacific theatre of WWII during the battle of midway. It's kind of just an alternate history show told through the medium of anime as there aren't really any of the usual conventions you'd associate with modern anime like exagerated reactions, attractive women (it's a ship with one middle aged female nurse) or over the top action. Only reason I haven't started it again is because it's based on a 500 chapter manga that nobody has translated yet and it stops with 26 episodes in an open ending. And I just found out the group translating the manga has disbanded. Great.

Ilwhyan wrote:
CrushedRevelation wrote:
Been watching the Bleach series from the very beginning (300 plus episodes), and while it's most certainly entertaining, there are some episodes which are somewhat tedious. The constant need to break away from the main story arc can also be frustrating at times, even if some of these offshoots are watchable. The obligatory humour throughout most of this is quite good though, and there's enough in the storyline to keep me coming back. Even if it's only out a completist mentality now.

The first 25 or so episodes are quality shounen, then it gets slightly worse but still tolerable. When the major filler starts at episode 60 or so, it never recovers even after the anime starts following the manga again. Half of each episode is dedicated to derping around and embarrassing stuff, and every battle is excessively drawn out. The Arrancars are pretty disappointing aswell. :( I expected something really awesome, and I thought the Vasto Lorde made into Arrancar would essentially be so strong that no Shinigami could take them on alone, aside from maybe the Visored (and by extension, Ichigo). The story advances at a snail's pace, and with so much building up tension and sitting through boring, pointless scenes (and the obligatory total filler shite episode in every ten episodes or something), every actual event is bound to feel disappointing.

Ju-oh-sei is another series I don't see much discussion of and if a coming of age story combined with surviving a planet filled with carnivorous plants sounds interesting, check it out, it's only 11 episodes so you can knock it out in a day.

All that said, it has been more than five years since I watched the early episodes. Maybe they aren't much better, and I'm just seeing them through rose coloured glasses.

Yeah, that's pretty much how I feel about bleach. The first arc was good, then it all went downhill from there. After the bounto arc I stopped around episode 126 in the middle of the hueco mundo arc because it just felt like a repeat of first arc with orihime as the damsel in distres instead. Instead of developing the characters they have their solution is to throw in even more. As you said the plot moves at a snails pace when it's on track at while some of the plot twists took me by surprise it's not really worth waiting 30+ episodes to see them happen. All this would be excusable if the fights were exciting but they just drag along removing any sense of urgency or fluidity and they often resolve themselves by a character 'suddenly' discovering an ability to make him win out of nowhere. When a shounen fighting show has boring battles, you don't really have much to go on. As far as the 'big 3' of the shounen trinity goes the only one I have dropped yet is one piece, and I'm only 11 episodes into it so I still have plenty of room to drop it yet. If my favorite animes are LOGTH, Texhnolyze and Evangelion maybe shounen shows aren't really my thing anyway.

As for stuff I'm watching or planning to watch, I just started serei no moribito and am going to start 'here and there now and then' too.

bj_waters
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:38 pm 

Evangelion2014 wrote:
Your analysis on monster is fair enough, and I haven't read the manga so I might have a different perspective on it. I mainly make the comparison to death note in that a lot of the cat and mouse games are somewhat similar and they're both really well regarded mystery series; it's just that people overrate the hell out of it on myanimelist.net. I think death note was a fun manga that's defintely worth reading but there's people over there giving it 10/10 with regularity. Keep in mind according to myanimelist I only have something like 25 days put into anime so I'm not hugely well versed in it.

That's probably because it's a rather dark series while still being completely mainstream. For all of the anime fans that got on board with InuYasha, Bleach, and Naruto, Death Note feels nuanced and complex (relatively speaking, of course). I imagine that, over time, they'll lower those ratings as they experience more anime.
Evangelion2014 wrote:
As far as the 'big 3' of the shounen trinity goes the only one I have dropped yet is one piece, and I'm only 11 episodes into it so I still have plenty of room to drop it yet. If my favorite animes are LOGTH, Texhnolyze and Evangelion maybe shounen shows aren't really my thing anyway.

Might I recommend that with One Piece you push through to the end of the Arlong Saga (which concludes at about episode 53). From there, you can decide if you want to follow the crew on to bigger adventures. Of the big 3, I consider One Piece to be the best, mostly because it sort of knows that it's ridiculous and it just kind of wallows in it. I think that Bleach and especially Naruto have a bad habit of taking themselves too seriously, which you really can't accuse One Piece of doing. That being said, I think One Piece has some great moments (Water Seven/CP9, anyone?), so if you're in for the long-haul, you won't be disappointed. Just don't expect much in the way of complexity.
Evangelion2014 wrote:
As for stuff I'm watching or planning to watch, I ... am going to start 'here and there now and then' too.

Ooof. Brace yourself. That show gets a bit hard to watch at times.

Zelkiiro

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:44 pm 

bj_waters wrote:
Evangelion2014 wrote:
As for stuff I'm watching or planning to watch, I ... am going to start 'here and there now and then' too.

Hard to watch, but always excellent.

NTHT is one of my favorite anime of all time, as well as one of the few I've given a 10/10 to.

Evangelion2014
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:09 pm 

bj_waters wrote:
Evangelion2014 wrote:

That's probably because it's a rather dark series while still being completely mainstream. For all of the anime fans that got on board with InuYasha, Bleach, and Naruto, Death Note feels nuanced and complex (relatively speaking, of course). I imagine that, over time, they'll lower those ratings as they experience more anime.
Evangelion2014 wrote:
As far as the 'big 3' of the shounen trinity goes the only one I have dropped yet is one piece, and I'm only 11 episodes into it so I still have plenty of room to drop it yet. If my favorite animes are LOGTH, Texhnolyze and Evangelion maybe shounen shows aren't really my thing anyway.

Might I recommend that with One Piece you push through to the end of the Arlong Saga (which concludes at about episode 53). From there, you can decide if you want to follow the crew on to bigger adventures. Of the big 3, I consider One Piece to be the best, mostly because it sort of knows that it's ridiculous and it just kind of wallows in it. I think that Bleach and especially Naruto have a bad habit of taking themselves too seriously, which you really can't accuse One Piece of doing. That being said, I think One Piece has some great moments (Water Seven/CP9, anyone?), so if you're in for the long-haul, you won't be disappointed. Just don't expect much in the way of complexity.
Evangelion2014 wrote:

Yeah, that's what I keep hearing about one piece. The other cool thing about one piece is that their arcs seem to be on the shorter side like 5-25 episodes. And I'm not anticipating one piece to be complex, a shounen show with decent fights that I can turn on when I want to watch something ridiculous without all the genre pitfalls is really all I'm looking for. As far as Here and there, now and then I'm expecting it to be depressing, but I actually want that. I watched 'grave of the fireflies' and Two things kind of ruined it for me. The first is they tell you what happens to the kids in the first few minutes. I could of guessed the outcome would be bad when I started it, but just having them reveal everything outright took a lot of the meaning out of it. The second thing is that well it's world war II. Starvation is generally something that happens in total war. Russian villages were wiped off the face of the earth, people rotted and suffered in concentration camps on both the european and western theatres, people on both sides had their homes bombed out and the people they know killed, and don't get me wrong what happened to the kids was still sad it's just that everyone talked about it like I would be bawling my eyes out. It's the second world war, there's plenty of sadness to go around.

The thing that intrigues me about 'now and then, here and there' is that from what I read of the setting, things don't get better, there is no post war reconstruction, the world is dying and doomed and pretty much everyone has given up their humanity because of it; and the main character is going to be dragged down and broken because of it. Texhnolyze was impressively depressing for some of the same reasons. The whole premise takes the classic 'child lands in fantasy world' and turns it on it's head where the fantasy world is a shithole.

bj_waters
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:31 pm 

Evangelion2014 wrote:
As far as Here and there, now and then I'm expecting it to be depressing, but I actually want that. I watched 'grave of the fireflies' and Two things kind of ruined it for me. The first is they tell you what happens to the kids in the first few minutes. I could of guessed the outcome would be bad when I started it, but just having them reveal everything outright took a lot of the meaning out of it. The second thing is that well it's world war II. Starvation is generally something that happens in total war. Russian villages were wiped off the face of the earth, people rotted and suffered in concentration camps on both the european and western theatres, people on both sides had their homes bombed out and the people they know killed, and don't get me wrong what happened to the kids was still sad it's just that everyone talked about it like I would be bawling my eyes out. It's the second world war, there's plenty of sadness to go around.

The thing that intrigues me about 'now and then, here and there' is that from what I read of the setting, things don't get better, there is no post war reconstruction, the world is dying and doomed and pretty much everyone has given up their humanity because of it; and the main character is going to be dragged down and broken because of it. Texhnolyze was impressively depressing for some of the same reasons. The whole premise takes the classic 'child lands in fantasy world' and turns it on it's head where the fantasy world is a shithole.

Man, I forgot about Grave of the Fireflies. I remember hating the fact that I was watching the show with such morbid anticipation, and I was kind of disgusted with myself, though I suppose the show sets itself up that way. Now and Then, Here and There isn't quite THAT depressing, but it has it's own tragic weight on its shoulders. (Just the idea of forcing children to be soldiers would make nearly anyone's skin crawl.)

HellishHound
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:49 pm 

Hey guy I've recently gotten back into anime after a couple years hiatus so to speak and I was wondering if you guys could recommend me some good new anime's? preferably one's with supernatural themes to them?

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:53 pm 

HellishHound wrote:
preferably one's with supernatural themes to them?

Well you sure as hell want to stay away from the one we've been bashing as of late, Fate / Stay Night.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

HellishHound
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:56 pm 

Yeah I've kind of gathered that in the searching I did myself haha

Marag
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:01 pm 

HellishHound wrote:
Hey guy I've recently gotten back into anime after a couple years hiatus so to speak and I was wondering if you guys could recommend me some good new anime's? preferably one's with supernatural themes to them?

Bakemonogatari/Nisemonogatari too, I don't think it's particularly good though. There is this anime that finished airing recently, Shin Sekai Yori, that has a supernatural/mystery theme, but i'm only halfway through it so I can't say much about its quality. I never watched it, but I heard good things about UN-GO. There hasn't been much good anime recently so you didn't miss much

HellishHound
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:03 pm 

Thanks I'll check them out and see what I think. And well if you happen to think of the best recent animes out I'm down for anything really.

Marag
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:08 pm 

Putting aside the supernatural themes there is Steins;Gate, JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, Katanagatari, and Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica, the best ones that came out recently that I can think of now
How long have you been away from anime by the way?

HellishHound
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:15 pm 

a few years, I liked anime in my middle school days and then I got into other things in high school, namely western fantasy and horror. I'm now a college freshman and I've recently wanted to see some new anime and get back into it. I've never fully been away I mean I knew all the big name movies, like the studio ghibli stuff. But as far general new anime I'm out the loop.

Zelkiiro

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:24 pm 

OzzyApu wrote:
HellishHound wrote:
preferably one's with supernatural themes to them?

Well you sure as hell want to stay away from the one we've been bashing as of late, Fate / Stay Night.

Avoid Fate/Stay Night, but I strongly urge you to watch the hell out of Fate/Zero.

TheOldOne
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:41 pm 

I have Fate/Zero somewhere in my pile, does it stand by itself, or do I have to wait till I conquer the F/SN VN?

last.fm

Zelkiiro

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:06 pm 

TheOldOne wrote:
I have Fate/Zero somewhere in my pile, does it stand by itself, or do I have to wait till I conquer the F/SN VN?

All you have to know from F/SN is the bare bones of the concept, and even then the first episode does its best to clue you in.

But yeah, it's 99% stand-alone.

PDS
The Folk One

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:06 am 

The F/SN anime was horribly adapted. Play the Visual Novel if you want the actual good story that the anime fucked up. F/Z is the only good Type-Moon anime. F/SN was adapted to shit. I"m not even going to talk about the other Type-Moon anime, which is so atrocious, it should be destroyed and wiped from every records.

Oh, Carnival Phantasm is really good if you are a huge Type-Moon Fag.
I dunno, I'm a guitarist and it always feels like playing a giant cock. Not just that but live music should hit you in the genitals. It might not if you don't use good amplifiers and your modelling shit goes straight out of the PA. But good music hits you HARD in the GENITALS.

Marag
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:11 am 

Pagan_Death_Sceam wrote:
The F/SN anime was horribly adapted. Play the Visual Novel if you want the actual good story that the anime fucked up. F/Z is the only good Type-Moon anime. F/SN was adapted to shit. I"m not even going to talk about the other Type-Moon anime, which is so atrocious, it should be destroyed and wiped from every records.

True that, but even in the vn FS/N is kind of a clusterfuck, Tsukihime is miles better.
Also the Kara no Kyoukai movies are pretty good, and there is also Canaan which everyone seems to forget when talking about TM anime, I still haven't watched this one though

PDS
The Folk One

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:33 am 

Marag wrote:
Pagan_Death_Sceam wrote:

True that, but even in the vn FS/N is kind of a clusterfuck, Tsukihime is miles better.
Also the Kara no Kyoukai movies are pretty good, and there is also Canaan which everyone seems to forget when talking about TM anime, I still haven't watched this one though

Aaah, I have forgoten about KnK, I have yet to see those, my friends say to watch the, in chronological in-world order instead of airing order.

Canaan, I forgot about that one, iirc, same director as the one who did Mine Fujiko, which I enjoyed.
I dunno, I'm a guitarist and it always feels like playing a giant cock. Not just that but live music should hit you in the genitals. It might not if you don't use good amplifiers and your modelling shit goes straight out of the PA. But good music hits you HARD in the GENITALS.

Marag
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:47 am 

It will make a lot more sense if you watch in chronological order

fucknicethings
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:22 pm 

I just watched Akira. I can't believe human beings made this show. I was never a fan of inception, but holy shit, inception is complete shit compared to this. It's inspiring to such an elegant form of art. The art style was so fascinating to look at. I wanted to watch a show about people getting their fucking heads ripped off, but I got way more than I could have wanted.

Evangelion2014
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:07 pm 

fucknicethings wrote:
I just watched Akira. I can't believe human beings made this show. I was never a fan of inception, but holy shit, inception is complete shit compared to this. It's inspiring to such an elegant form of art. The art style was so fascinating to look at. I wanted to watch a show about people getting their fucking heads ripped off, but I got way more than I could have wanted.

Read the manga, the movie is visually stunning but they have to basically cram 2500 pages worth of manga into an hour movie. As good as the movie is, the manga is so much better.

Zelkiiro

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:18 pm 

fucknicethings wrote:

Really?

Aside from being visually mind-blowing, Akira is a pretty bad movie, actually. There is no cohesion in the story whatsoever, and it's almost maddening.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:22 pm 

Agreed with Zel. Akira was stylistically pretty cool for the time, but it's quite overrated.

Thexhumed
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:25 pm 

Can you guys recommend me anything in the vain of Berserk? (I don't want to see Claymore yet, so please skip it)

Thanks in advance.

Zelkiiro

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:42 pm 

Thexhumed wrote:
Can you guys recommend me anything in the vain of Berserk? (I don't want to see Claymore yet, so please skip it)

Thanks in advance.

Gungrave.

It's extremely character-driven, starts with a flash-forward, has a Golden Age arc and a gut-wrenching final arc, and it was written/designed/conceived by the same guy who made Trigun. Actually, I wrote a review of it here!

Thexhumed
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:45 pm 

Zelkiiro wrote:
Thexhumed wrote:

Thanks in advance.

Gungrave.

It's extremely character-driven, starts with a flash-forward, has a Golden Age arc and a gut-wrenching final arc, and it was written/designed/conceived by the same guy who made Trigun. Actually, I wrote a review of it here!

I'll start watching it this Monday, thanks!

Zelkiiro

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:46 pm 

Thexhumed wrote:
I'll start watching it this Monday, thanks!

Actually, if you have Netflix, you can watch it there! I believe it's the English dub version, and it is a really damn good dub.

Thexhumed
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:47 pm 

I don't, but I'll find the means. Once I'm finished I'm coming back to tell you how I liked it.

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:19 am 

Wrapped up JoJo.

Fucking incredible, holy balls. Everyone says it gets better from here into part 3... HOOOOOOOOOOOOOW?

Last episode teased at part 3. Utterly stoked, damn I can't wait for more.

I like dubstep now? Goddamn the second OST was so good, hope they keep that composer on board.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3tlJeTf7kg

The ultimate dream is that once Madhouse finishes the new HxH (which is the best looking shounen by far right now, visually production wise, One Piece doesn't even compare), they'll team up with David Production and do 50 episodes or something for part 3 of JoJo... then animate the rest, with the most insane TV series budget the world has seen.

DO IT!

fucknicethings
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:52 am 

Zelkiiro wrote:
fucknicethings wrote:

Really?

Aside from being visually mind-blowing, Akira is a pretty bad movie, actually. There is no cohesion in the story whatsoever, and it's almost maddening.

Apparently what you think is bad, and what I think is bad, are two totally different bads. Cohesion? What? I found Akira to be far from "maddening".

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44 ... 61  Next