Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Byrain
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 2:03 pm 

OzzyApu wrote:
I figured out the order after a google search. Still convoluted for newcomers.

As for the dub, of my top 3 favorite animes, all three are the dub version. Even the Japanese on this one only makes the show tolerable. Then again, I do have to remember that a show like this isn't exactly known for it's substance.

Yea, it is convoluted, but the core of the series is not, the 4 on the far right of the relation graph. And yea, you probably would of liked it more if you first watched it years ago as a teenager like I did....

bj_waters wrote:
I don't think it's that bad; I know I've heard plenty that were worse, but that's just my opinion. (I'm a Dub > Sub guy anyway.)

Fair enough, let me rephrase, one of the worst dubs I have tolerated long enough to experience.

Kveldulfr
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:15 pm 

I've just seen the news about the new Ghost in the Shell Ova's!!!

There's a 9 minute video around of the first one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifjU1qEDbR4

I'm FUCKING PUMPED. GITS is one of my fav series!

lupin99
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:39 pm 

Is anybody watching the new Summer season of anime that came out recently? The only one I am going to watch is Genshiken nidaime and Watamote (the manga is hilarious)

also:

Free!

[img]
http://25.media.tumblr.com/c75d177c49bb ... o1_400.gif[/img]

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:05 pm 

lupin99 wrote:
Genshiken nidaime

Maybe it's bad prejudging, but I just looked this up and it looks like it'll meander in total mediocrity. No Madarame, no male frustrations, and no major comedic cast. You get Ono and that one slanky-quirky guy being what looks like the only returners.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

PDS
The Folk One

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:04 am 

Esentially it is Genshiken: Reverse, instead, they talk about shoujo stuff....guessing from the couple chapters I've read of the manga. I hear it picks up some romance parts with Madarame but...I don't really want to read up to it.

WataMote OP. Can't wait to see how many people believe that the OP was metal. It is going to be Deathnote OP 2 all over again.

Anyways, WataMote and Monogatari Second Season are the standouts for me.
I dunno, I'm a guitarist and it always feels like playing a giant cock. Not just that but live music should hit you in the genitals. It might not if you don't use good amplifiers and your modelling shit goes straight out of the PA. But good music hits you HARD in the GENITALS.

Gelal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:24 pm 

Can't wait until I get holidays from work to catch up with all the stuff I haven't been regularly watching... *looks at stuff from the new season, sees even more stuff that must be watched*

FUCK YOU JAPAN! GIVE ME BACK MY LIFE!

Just kidding, of course... But I do have a lot of stuff in the oven that I was supposed to watch regularly, and just haven't had time to. Not to mention my long absence from the boards as well...

RainbowPrius19
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:23 pm 

Just popping in here if anyone likes romance animes then you HAVE to watch Koi Kaze 9/10 and Clannad 10/10 (but you probably have watched the latter)

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:32 pm 

RainbowPrius19 wrote:
Just popping in here if anyone likes romance animes then you HAVE to watch Koi Kaze 9/10 and Clannad 10/10 (but you probably have watched the latter)

I have enjoyed CLANNAD immensely, but Koi Kaze...well, "uncomfortable" is too light a word...

TheOldOne
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:30 pm 

After like three years, I finally went back and finished Fruits Basket. Good show, but from the looks of it they really should have went with the manga ending.

Caught up on the final 3 episodes of K too, pleasure to watch but the plot kind of made me go "lol wut" here and there.

And currently am catching up on JJBA. Oh my god this show rocks so hard, it's been great fun.

last.fm

bj_waters
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:10 pm 

TheOldOne wrote:
After like three years, I finally went back and finished Fruits Basket. Good show, but from the looks of it they really should have went with the manga ending.

The didn't have a choice. When the show was broadcast in 2001, the manga only had six or seven volumes, and wouldn't end until 2006. I suppose the could have pulled a Fullmetal Alchemist and redone the whole thing (but it'd probably have to be like 90 episodes). I still think they should have at least pulled together the money for an OVA series that does the school play, because that was hilarious!

If you liked Fruits Basket, then you'd probably like Kodocha and Jubei-Chan, as they have the same series director: Akitaro Daichi.

Zelkiiro

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:55 pm 

bj_waters wrote:
If you liked Fruits Basket, then you'd probably like Kodocha and Jubei-Chan, as they have the same series director: Akitaro Daichi.

Akitarou Daichi also made Now and Then, Here and There, which is also mandatory viewing.

Young_Metalhead
Saanut kerran. Todistetusti.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 2:09 am 

Pretty lame holiday anime watching time. Even if I had all the time I just watched: Angel Beats! (again, with the girlfriend), some episodes of D.Gray-Man, and Kakumeiki Vlavrave (which is kind of lame at times). Also, Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann (finally!!!) and just started to watch Another.

Kakumeiki Valvrave is kind of interesting, but the end (and I hear seasn 2 is comming in October) is just kind of weird. The robots animations are the best thing of it.
Another seems great so far (just watched episode 1 though) but I'm definetily sticking with this one. Any god stuff that came out this season? I still have a week to catch up with this.

Marag
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:28 pm 

I saw some volumes of the Another manga in a bookstore here and thought about buying it, apparently the manga is better than the anime, but I didn't buy it after all, maybe some other time. The anime sets some nice eerie mistery atmosphere in the beginning but I thought it got underwhelming towards the end.

I stopped following the last seasons, the last ones that interested me were Aku no Hana and that mecha anime with Urobuchi on the staff, both from the Spring season I think, but I haven't watched neither so far.

Gelal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:43 pm 

Marag wrote:
apparently the manga is better than the anime

Slightly so at best IMHO, I remember it having the same shortcomings the anime had. I'll have to see if I can find a translation of the original novel, maybe that one will provide consistent entertainment from start to finish.

Marag
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 5:40 pm 

More light novels ought to be translated in english, with the amounts of animated adaptations coming out nowadays.

Zelkiiro

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:02 am 

Whoo-hoo! I finally became a professor (Read: reviewer) at Anime Academy!

...About 5 years after it died! Yaaaayyyy... :(

VoidApostle
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:28 pm 

Anyone have an opinion on Fullmetal Alchemist vs. Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood? I haven't seen either but am leaning toward watching Brotherhood since I hear it's more consistent to the manga.

Zelkiiro

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:25 pm 

VoidApostle wrote:
Anyone have an opinion on Fullmetal Alchemist vs. Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood? I haven't seen either but am leaning toward watching Brotherhood since I hear it's more consistent to the manga.

I may or may not have an opinion on the matter...
http://zelkiiro.hubpages.com/hub/Anime- ... -Alchemist
http://zelkiiro.hubpages.com/hub/Anime- ... rotherhood

VoidApostle
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:36 pm 

That is certainly a sufficient opinion.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:50 pm 

I don't watch much anime but FMA Brotherhood was fucking awesome! I'd like to find something similar but perhaps more gritty and violent (ofc I know Berserk)
Spoiler: show

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Zelkiiro

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:15 pm 

Metantoine wrote:
I don't watch much anime but FMA Brotherhood was fucking awesome! I'd like to find something similar but perhaps more gritty and violent (ofc I know Berserk)
Spoiler: show

If you want a darker fantasy anime, then definitely check out Fate/Zero, Claymore, or Twelve Kingdoms. I'd also recommend Gungrave, as it's essentially Berserk with a different setting and an actual ending.

bj_waters
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:42 pm 

VoidApostle wrote:

If you don't mind, I'd like to weigh in on this.

Personally, I think both series are worth watching for slightly different reasons. The first series (made in 2003), while being inspired by the manga, goes in its own direction, which is pretty rare for anime, and ends up with it's own rules and situations (concluding with the bittersweet Conquerer of Shamballa movie). It has a bit of a darker tone and a slower pace, willing to spend time to consider a bunch of the implications of what's going on. Brotherhood, on the other hand, is lighter in the sense that it's more of an adventure story, with a bit of a quicker pace and a happier (somewhat cheesier) ending.

It also kind of depends if you are planning/have already read the manga. If you are/have, then I'd recommend the 2003 series because it only uses the manga as a jumping off point to really tell its own story. In this case, Brotherhood simply is the direct adaptation that we see so often with other shonen/action/adventure series. If you're not reading manga, then it's up to you how you want to experience the series. I'd still say watch the first series first, then watch Brotherhood, so that you finish with the "better" ending (I know most FMA fans consider it to be much more satisfying). Brotherhood only overlaps with the first series for about 14 episodes, and it goes quickly, so you'll never feel like things are redundant for very long.

That's my two cents, anyway.

VoidApostle
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:35 am 

I really, really appreciate the input, but I'm already 5 episodes into Brotherhood. :oh shit:

Man, episode four was tragic. I haven't been that disturbed since Hansel and Gretel in Black Lagoon.

bj_waters
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 12:58 pm 

VoidApostle wrote:
I really, really appreciate the input, but I'm already 5 episodes into Brotherhood. :oh shit:

Man, episode four was tragic. I haven't been that disturbed since Hansel and Gretel in Black Lagoon.

Doo-hohohohohohohohoho. You've only just begun!

Gelal
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 1:10 pm 

VoidApostle wrote:

You made the right choice. Also, if you think episode 4 is tragic... Brace for impact. You ain't seen a damn thing yet.

Marag
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:00 am 

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/20 ... s-underway
Psycho Pass is getting a second season. I'm curious to see a PP without White Haired Terrorist Jesus, and Kogami after his vacations on Thailand or whatever.
And hopefully they will feed the animators lots of hyper oats this time so we won't get things like this:

daimajin
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:32 am 

Ghost in the Shell and Demon City Shinjuku.

kiske_of_deth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:40 pm 

Been reading the Fate/Stay Night visual novel. 12 hours into Heaven's Feel right now, and I feel like my soul is being crushed and taken away from me.

If you ever wondered what a Death Note/Gurren Lagann/Berserk/Shin Megami Tensei crossover anime would be like, read Fate/Stay Night. Then watch Fate/Zero.

Marag
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:26 pm 

I started watching Fate/Zero just right now. I didn't complete all routes on F/SN but fuck this that novel is too long.

I noticed Matou Zouken has the same voice as Hyoudou from Kaiji. This can't be good...

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:44 pm 

Gundam 00 bitches, get on it. I'm locked in 12 episodes right now and my sis made me go back to 1 so she could catch up with me.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Warlocks_amulet
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:19 am 

If you want violence, Gantz is the way to go.

I've been watching Soul Eater and Shingeki No Kyojin lately.
Also starting Hyakko.

I read manga more than I watch anime.

DeathspellDelta
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:47 am 

Started watching Bakemonogatari. Awesome art direction. I haven't watched enough to comment on the story and dialogue however.

Dudemanguy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:13 am 

OzzyApu wrote:
Gundam 00

Heh, I've been watching a crapload of Gundam lately myself although I've been mostly going in production order. Right now, I'm in the middle of Victory Gundam (93-94). Good stuff.

Zelkiiro

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 5:36 pm 

The Escaflowne movie sucks. This is my review.

hey
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:18 am 

So there's supposedly going to be a live-action Attack on Titan movie... :ugh:

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:40 am 

hey wrote:
So there's supposedly going to be a live-action Attack on Titan movie... :ugh:

They've done live actions of animes already that didn't turn out to be trash as far as my memory holds up. I recall the Death Note and GTO live-actions to be at least decent, though I haven't seen them myself to really know firsthand. Prefer the anime version for something like AoT, though.

Zelkiiro

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:24 pm 

Holy fuck, I'm only 4 episodes into Chihayafuru and it's totally sucked me in.

Alsandair
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 2:42 am 

Just starting Soul Eater, liking it very much thus far.

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 3:50 am 

OzzyApu wrote:
Gundam 00 bitches, get on it. I'm locked in 12 episodes right now and my sis made me go back to 1 so she could catch up with me.

Get ready to rage. Second season slips up a lot. Code Geass level mega chunks.

Frankly unless it's super weird or original (G and Turn A), I think most of the AU Gundam's are pretty terrible or just insanely forgettable. UC is the Master Race and thankfully Unicorn delivers and washes away the stench that surrounds a lot of modern Gundam for me.

Mecha Sex!

Varth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 5:37 am 

I got to second, Gantz is really fucking good despite so many fucking cliche's, I haven't found myself on the edge of my seat dreading a character's fate in a long time, equally hilarious, action packed, gory, and depressing.

Looking for something new, would like something weird, nihilistic, dark, possibly sci-fi, seems like what I associate the best of anime with isn't really in abundance

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46 ... 61  Next