Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:30 am 

Alright homies, pretty into anime right now. Here's a list of the one's I've seen and enjoyed:
-Death Note
-Fate/Zero
-Attack on Titan (except for the music. HOLY SHIT)
-Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood
-Cowboy Bebop
-Space Dandy
-Code Breaker
- Kuroko no Basket (this one is my favourite)

Ones I didn't enjoy:
-Monster (worst anime ever)
- Code Geass (can't get into Lelouch and the politics)
- Darker than Black (really AWESOME music and concept. But the characters are eh and it's pretty slow)

Recommend me things!
Oh and I'm planning to watch Ghost in the Shell and I'm reading Berserk and Gantz.

http://halberddoom.bandcamp.com/releases

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:49 am 

Good man, Necro. But no to DtB? Dammmmn, that's my favorite out of the ones in your entire post. AoT of course was action packed but super dismal.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:55 am 

I guess it just never grabbed me. I basically watched 10 episodes for mostly the music haha.AoT was the opposite. The music was literally the most awful thing created by mankind, and that annoying blond kid who yelled ERAN!!! every five seconds got on my nerves but dat action. My main grievance with it is actually not the shit music though, it's how they seemed to put work into the first few Titans you see, then all the future ones look lame.

Last edited by Necroticism174 on Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
hey
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:56 am 

Necro, some stuff I'd recommend: Samurai Champloo, Baccano!, Kino's Journey(!), and I guess Future Diary. There's a lot of other stuff you might like, but I think those are all reasonable suggestions.

Also... Puella Magi Madoka Magica :3

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:03 am 

Necroticism174 wrote:
I guess it just never grabbed me. I basically watched 10 episodes for mostly the music haha.AoT was the opposite. The music was literally the most awful thing created by mankind, and that annoying blond kid who yelled ERAN!!! every five seconds got on my nerves but dat action. My main grievance with it is actually not the shit music though, it's how they seemed to put work into the first few Titans you see, then all the future ones look lame.

Seconding hey's Sam Champloo rec.

As for the music, I actually didn't pay attention too much to either for the shows. AoT especially the action and despair sucked me in (I do agree with you about the blond guy, can't even remember his name). The show really ends up taking its time in the later episodes, to the point where it begins dragging.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:08 am 

Yeah for sure, but I'm still curious as to where it's going (about Attack on Titan). But not as much as I'm excited for season 3 of Kuroko no Basket :lol: such over the top-ness and abundance of reaction shots.
Oh and I forgot to mention I just started Ergo Proxy, which is dark and intriguing so far.
Thanks for the reccs, dudes! Keep 'em coming!

hey
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:10 am 

Necroticism174 wrote:
Yeah for sure, but I'm still curious as to where it's going (about Attack on Titan). But not as much as I'm excited for season 3 of Kuroko no Basket :lol: such over the top-ness and abundance of reaction shots.
Oh and I forgot to mention I just started Ergo Proxy, which is dark and intriguing so far.
Thanks for the reccs, dudes! Keep 'em coming!

You'll have to say what you think of Ergo Proxy if you stick with it. I wouldn't rank it amongst my favorites, but the show definitely has its moments.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:12 am 

Necroticism174 wrote:
Kuroko no Basket

I'm more of a soccer guy. :|

Looking at what I have sitting on my computer: Black God, BTOOOM!, Guilty Crown... I can't remember what half of what I have are since I got them. I must have been intrigued by the art and summary to want to get it. Haven't sat and watched an anime in months.

Sword Art Online was awesome. Great first half, not-as-good second half. It made me not want to go see Kamelot just so I could finish it the first time I watched it.

Necroticism174
Kite String Popper

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:17 am 

I'm more of a no sports at all guy, but when I heard there was a basketball anime, I had to see that shit and wasn't disappointed.
Also this happens: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xu-hyaeaROk
I love when japanese people speak English in anime.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:22 am 

Necroticism174 wrote:

:lol: I too can say the same: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEeBZwmI2Rs

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 5:09 am 

Necroticism174 wrote:
Alright homies, pretty into anime right now. Here's a list of the one's I've seen and enjoyed:
-Death Note
-Fate/Zero
-Attack on Titan (except for the music. HOLY SHIT)
-Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood
-Cowboy Bebop
-Space Dandy
-Code Breaker
- Kuroko no Basket (this one is my favourite)

Ones I didn't enjoy:
-Monster (worst anime ever)
- Code Geass (can't get into Lelouch and the politics)
- Darker than Black (really AWESOME music and concept. But the characters are eh and it's pretty slow)

Recommend me things!
Oh and I'm planning to watch Ghost in the Shell and I'm reading Berserk and Gantz.

I'd avoid GitS. :zzz:
Assuming you only want series and/or have already seen all the obligatory Ghibli stuff, hmm... Try Moribito, Samurai Champloo, eh... that's kinda it. Anime series tend to suck.

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

Festivus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 5:31 am 

Necroticism174 wrote:
I'm more of a no sports at all guy, but when I heard there was a basketball anime, I had to see that shit and wasn't disappointed.
Also this happens: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xu-hyaeaROk

I've watched Kuroko no Basket's 1st season recently. Fun anime. It's more or less like a modern version of Slam Dunk but not as great.

As for other sport anime, I enjoyed Major and Giant Killing. Although the latter REALLY needs another season.

One Outs was decent but the main character was way overpowered.

And, of course, there's always Captain Tsubasa, which will always be THE sports anime.

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:07 am 

Puella Magi Madoka Magica
Little Busters
Bakemonogatari

All three of these are modern classics in their own right - but each one is hella different, PMMM might be my current favorite anime.

Attack on Titan was super dope - but goddamn does it pull a DBZ about halfway through the series - so much shit just drags out...and draaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaagggggggggs

Spoiler: show
║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

hey
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 5:27 pm 

Oh, since we're mentioning films, Sword of the Stranger > everything by Ghibli. :-P

Dudemanguy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 1:43 pm 

Anybody else here excited for the new Fate/Stay Night adaption by Ufotable? I do really like the VN (and type-moon stuff in general), and apparently the DEEN anime is absolutely horrible (I saw the CGI dragon scene and laughed my ass off). Anyways, their adapting Unlimited Blade Works for TV and Heaven's Feel will be a movie or movie series (I'd bet on the latter).

Ufotable animates really well, but I personally hope they don't abuse CGI too much. Especially not on the grail mud.

Under_Starmere
Abhorrent Fish-Man

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 10:15 am 

Gehhh.... yeah, the ending of Monster did really suck. What the faaack. :(

Trashy_Rambo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:10 am 

hey wrote:
Oh, since we're mentioning films, Sword of the Stranger > everything by Ghibli. :-P

I dunno about that, but Sword of the Stranger is indeed really fucking good.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:06 am 

So this is pretty great:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDWNpKlUgrE

Trashy_Rambo
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 5:30 pm 

Currently watching Knights of Sidonia. It's sort of like Attack on Titan, but it takes place in space, and the pacing is waaaaay better. It's mostly CG, which I normally hate, but it actually results in some really great visuals.

Adriankat
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:51 pm 

Anyone here have a MAL? Here's mine:
http://myanimelist.net/profile/httpTerror404

Zankyou no Terror is amazing so far. It's about a couple terrorists sending a message by blowing up buildings. I don't want to explain too much but I think it's going to be up there with Madoka Magica and Steins;Gate when it's done.

Dudemanguy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:36 pm 

Comparing MAL profiles to see who's the biggest weaboo eh?
http://myanimelist.net/profile/Dudemanguy

As a disclaimer, I only watched the anime adapations of Tsukihime and Fate/Stay Night out of curiosity (wondered how bad they'd be butchered). I've read the VNs a long time ago. I'm actually rereading Fate/Stay Night in anticipation of the new anime (the fancy, updated Realta Nua version now).

Also, I'd like to say that the latest episode of Space Dandy was fucking amazing. Best show that I'm watching this season.

Zelkiiro

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:54 pm 

I don't have a MAL.

>w>

Dudemanguy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:30 pm 

I only have one because the statistics are fun. I don't waste my time rating everything, listing what I plan to watch and all that junk.

hey
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:16 pm 

Dudemanguy wrote:
Also, I'd like to say that the latest episode of Space Dandy was fucking amazing. Best show that I'm watching this season.

Yeah, it was definitly my favorite of the season so far, but I think I'd rank a couple from the first season higher (Meow's backstory and maybe the zombie one).

Dudemanguy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:17 am 

Oh man, that twist in the last episode of Space Dandy was fucking nuts. I'm really going to miss this show when it's over.

SwampSlimer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:04 pm 

I'm going to watch Cyber City Oedo 808 again. I have the sudden urge to hear "fuck" and "dickhead" every two minutes!

Schmengie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:34 am 

Necro: If you're still reading this, just watch anything directed by Shinichiro Watanabe, and then re-watch any applicable show you've already seen.

• Cowboy Bebop
  • Samurai Champloo
  • Kids on the Slope
  • Space Dandy
  • Terror in Resonance

Also, if you liked Attack on Titan for the action, you might like anything that has been given the "Gainax treatment":

• FLCL
  • Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagaan
  • Kill la Kill *

* Was actually produced by Trigger, but it's really the same idea.

Also, Ghost in the Shell is really fascinating if it can hold your attention, but in all its incarnations, it can be difficult to follow and even a bit confusing. Don't go into it looking for a balls-to-the-wall action fest: it has its fair share of explosions, firefights, and non-suicidal jumps off of ridiculously high places, but it's essentially a speculative futurist socio-political thriller with a great deal of philosophising mixed in. Both seasons of Stand Alone Complex take things even further into the territory of second-order simulacra. Again, very fascinating, but it might bore you if you're not careful.

I'm positive I missed some, but you get the idea. Have fun. :V

I believe it was Confucius who said "Life is merely a series of intervals in which one waits for the next Agalloch album."

PDS
The Folk One

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 3:43 am 

Dudemanguy wrote:
Comparing MAL profiles to see who's the biggest weaboo eh?
http://myanimelist.net/profile/Dudemanguy

A little late but... I won: http://myanimelist.net/profile/P_D_S

Just call me the Ani-moderator.

Anyways, to anyone to needs a recommendation: Mononoke. (Not related to the ghibli movie) It is a Mystery/Horror series with a a-typical art style and deep in old folk stories. It is damn awesome
I dunno, I'm a guitarist and it always feels like playing a giant cock. Not just that but live music should hit you in the genitals. It might not if you don't use good amplifiers and your modelling shit goes straight out of the PA. But good music hits you HARD in the GENITALS.

Dudemanguy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:00 pm 

Man, I unfortunately don't have time anymore to marathon the fuck out of series like I used to. I'm only casually watching airing shows that interest me.

hots_towel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:18 pm 

im all caught up with SAOII, not bad, but not amazing either.

i started log horizon but i fell asleep during the first episode (not cause it was boring, i just get tired watching when i get home and its hot outside). I'll have to rewatch it, but, there wasnt a whole lot that really hooked me in those 15 or so minutes that i caught of it.

started kill la kill too. Ill admit, the name really deterred me from wanting to give it a chance, but i was recommended it enough to give it a shot. its.......interesting. im on ep3 now, Ill see where it goes from there.

also, one that i really liked was murder princess. im not sure why it wasnt a movie. it was 6 episodes long, each only 22-24 minutes.

Dudemanguy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:30 pm 

Log Horizon is actually pretty good. It's not really about action, but more about politics and that kind of thing. I'm looking forward to season 2.

I will say to brace yourself to be disappointed by Kill la kill. Maybe it won't hurt as much if you get a warning.

hots_towel
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:50 pm 

Dudemanguy wrote:
Log Horizon is actually pretty good. It's not really about action, but more about politics and that kind of thing. I'm looking forward to season 2.

I will say to brace yourself to be disappointed by Kill la kill. Maybe it won't hurt as much if you get a warning.
politics like how they are in Stand alone complex and FMA:B? or the intricacies of gaming politics/economies? The reason SAO the first series got me was because i understood most of what they were talking about (been a slave to Warcraft and a few other RPGs since 07). Guild rivalries, exploits, character stats, RPG strategy, player professions and economies, a lot of that stuff i saw in SAO and was able to really relate to it. if thats the case then I'll surely give it another go.

and if what you're saying is true about kill la kill, im wondering now if those people that recommended the anime to me have finished it. I dropped by my school's student center for a few rounds of magic before class. a ton of the other nerds were crowded around a laptop watching it going "OOOOHHH! YEAHHH HAHA!" as if it were nfl sunday. but who knows, terrible endings (im assuming it's an ending) usually go right over my head

Dudemanguy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:07 am 

From what I understand, SAO (I never bothered to watch it) actually doesn't elaborate much on the usual MMO mechanics and was more like a fantasy action show with a loose mmo backdrop. Log Horizon is much different from that. There's plenty of the party-oriented stuff going on; guilds play a huge role in the plot, etc. The politics actually go deeper than that, but that's spoiler territory. There is one, reaaaally good twist in Log Horizon that you probably won't see coming. Even if you look for it.

Let's just say that Kill la kill had a ton of potential and I was really excited for it, but it pretty much just pissed it all away during the second half of the show. The ending is pretty bad, but it's more than that.

Schmengie
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:15 am 

I mean not to decry Dudemanguy's opinion by any means, but to offer my own, Kill la Kill is quite consistently awesome all the way through. The halfway point does, indeed, feature a game-changing series of events that turn the plot upside-down, and it is surprising, but it isn't series-destroying material, nor does it even depreciate the overall experience. It's just...a twist, really. It got real for me, at least.

It also has one of those endings that soundly wraps things up, but leaves just a hint of wiggle room for openness and future possibilities. In other words, damned solid.

Caution is great, but I don't think you have much to worry about from this one, mate. Kill la Kill was probably the most well-constructed anime of 2013, despite also being the most absurd and, if it means anything, is held in particularly high regard by the anime community at large. I wouldn't be surprised if it were that year's highest-rated series overall, to be honest.

I believe it was Confucius who said "Life is merely a series of intervals in which one waits for the next Agalloch album."

Dudemanguy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:53 am 

But the best anime from 2013 was Uchouten Kazoku and you know it. :P

Edit: Man, I easily get my years mixed up.

Zelkiiro

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:11 am 

The real star of 2013 is Hajime no Ippo: Rising, and you know it.

MDL
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:12 pm 

I like gory and bloody anime, the bloodier the better. There are some of them:

-Genocyber
-Gantz
-Midori Shoujo Tsubaki
-Urotsukidoji
-Elfen Lied
-Violence Jack
-Devilman OVAs
-Blood-C
-Btooom!
-Battle Royal High School
-Blade of the Immortal
-Ginga Nagareboshi Gin
-Sword of the Stranger
-Claymore
-Ninja Scroll
-Hellsing/Ultimate
-Akira
-Highschool of Dead
-Freezing
-Sankarea
-Corpse Party
-Shingeki no Kyogin
-Tokko
-Afro Samurai

However there are some gorish animes that i don't give a fvck, like Laughing Target. I also like some other stylized animes, like Seto no Hanayome, Inazuma Eleven, Pokémon, Digimon, Fushigi Yuugi and Akita no Joe.

Dudemanguy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 11:00 pm 

Oh man, anybody else really excited about this season of anime?

Ufotable is adapting the Unlimited Blade Works route from Fate/Stay Night, and the first episode (or more accurately, episode 00) has already far surpassed those abominations DEEN put out a few years ago. Hell, that Lancer and Archer fight was probably better animated by Ufotable for TV than anything in the fucking DEEN movie. That's pretty embarrassing. Anyways, they did a great job adopting the prologue in the ~45 minute episode. I'm definitely excited for the next 45 minute one. Can't wait for some of my favourite VN scenes to be animated.

And another important thing to mention, motherfucking Tomino is making his return to Gundam. The last Gundam show he wrote and directed was Turn A (back in 1999) and that was pretty much a masterpiece. I haven't watched the first episodes of G-Reco yet (waiting for better rips to show up), but it's going to great.

Plus, there's more great stuff on the way like the second season of Log Horizon, the next cour of Mushishi, Gundam Build Fighter's second season and probably more I'm not thinking of. It's going to be good.

PDS
The Folk One

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 11:23 pm 

There are too many shows within my "Eh, I'll watch it" strike zone (RomComs/Harems, tropes ect)

The ones I'm truelly looking forward to is the next Mushishi, Terra Formars, Vanadis, Trinity Sevem and Log Horizon S2
I dunno, I'm a guitarist and it always feels like playing a giant cock. Not just that but live music should hit you in the genitals. It might not if you don't use good amplifiers and your modelling shit goes straight out of the PA. But good music hits you HARD in the GENITALS.

Dudemanguy
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 11:54 pm 

I'm still not sure whether or not I'll watch Terra Formars. Premise seems kind of interesting, but eh, I don't really have time to watch a crapload of anime these days (and I don't really want to either).

I love both Gundam and Type-Moon to death, so for me, the fact that Tomino is doing another Gundam and a (most likely) proper adaptation of Unlimited Blades Works are happening at the same time puts this season miles ahead of most right off the bat.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49 ... 61  Next