Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
TheOldOne
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:30 pm 

Folkemon_ wrote:
Does anyone know any good Medieval/Swords and Sorcery anime? i only know Slayers and Berserk

Berserk was great, Slayers was decent but a bit kiddy from the few episodes i saw

Guin Saga and Scrapped Princess are worth checking out.

last.fm

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:44 pm 

Folkemon_ wrote:
Slayers was decent but a bit kiddy from the few episodes i saw

I will destroy you and everyone you love.

Also, give it a better chance. It's mostly meant to be a comedy, but it does have its darker moments.

Byrain
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:18 pm 

Zelkiiro wrote:
Folkemon_ wrote:
Slayers was decent but a bit kiddy from the few episodes i saw

I will destroy you and everyone you love.

Also, give it a better chance. It's mostly meant to be a comedy, but it does have its darker moments.

I hope he didn't watch the dub, that was cringe-worthy...

Zelkiiro

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:20 pm 

Byrain wrote:

Not for me. When you put Lisa Ortiz, Eric Stuart, Crispin Freeman, and Veronica Taylor in the same room, you get nothing but good things.

Byrain
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:36 pm 

Zelkiiro wrote:
Byrain wrote:

Not for me. When you put Lisa Ortiz, Eric Stuart, Crispin Freeman, and Veronica Taylor in the same room, you get nothing but good things.

What...how you would choose them over the japanese cast with Megumi Hayashibara is baffling.

Zelkiiro

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:40 pm 

Byrain wrote:
Zelkiiro wrote:

What...how you would choose them over the japanese cast with Megumi Hayashibara is baffling.

I never said I preferred it over the original. I just said I enjoyed it. :V

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:56 pm 

Zelkiiro wrote:
Byrain wrote:

All of whoever those people are combined do not equal Megumi Hayashibara.

EDIT: What he said, haaaaah.

I need to finish the first season of Slayers myself. It's all about Lina/Megumi for me, but yeah. I hear it gets better as the seasons go or something. It's not bad, just nothing I'll probably ever catch myself marathoning.

TheOldOne
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:56 pm 

And another series down, Scrapped Princess, a solid 7/10.

Now I think I'll wait till I've got DBZ available, subtitled this time, hopefully I'll have it by tonight. Say, I don't need to watch Dragonball first do I?

In either case, it'll take me a long time to finish, that's for sure.

last.fm

Byrain
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:27 pm 

TheOldOne wrote:
Say, I don't need to watch Dragonball first do I?

I would, its better then dbz and directly related, both adapted from the same manga. Which is even better, except the only worthwhile scans I can find have a long way to go before being finished.

Marag
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:41 pm 

Finished Ergo Proxy yesterday. It was okay. The return to Romdeau was kinda cool, if confusing, but the series as a whole is 6/10 at best.

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:39 pm 

Byrain wrote:
TheOldOne wrote:
Say, I don't need to watch Dragonball first do I?

I would, its better then dbz and directly related, both adapted from the same manga. Which is even better, except the only worthwhile scans I can find have a long way to go before being finished.

Yeah dude don't be someone like that. DB is essentially half of the story. I see both installments (like the manga) as one full package, but they definitely have their strengths over one another. DB is a much bigger adventure, more comedy, and really shows Toriyama's creativity, where DBZ just takes the action to the next level and focuses heavily on the characterization. But yeah, watching DB was one of the best anime experiences I've had... finally seeing half the story, where Piccolo and Goku's rivalry stemmed from, seeing Tenshinhan as the third strongest character in the entirety of DB, seeing Roshi be really important and amazing through and through, seeing Kuririn start off as a hilarious jackass and how his friendship started with Goku, some of the most perverted humor I've ever seen in anime, see Goku grow, develop, and get older by the end of DB, etc...

So long story short, it's half the story dude! As Byrain said, I know people who have actually seen DB prefer it over Z. But yeah I personally love both and it's hard for me to choose which I like most.

RageW
Marisa's Harlot

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:20 pm 

Has anyone watched Mirai Nikki's anime? I very much liked the manga but as we all know, the original work being good doesn't mean the anime *cough*Tsukihime*cough*. I don't want to go all the way through it only to find they butchered the story ;_;

TheOldOne
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:29 pm 

RageW wrote:
Has anyone watched Mirai Nikki's anime? I very much liked the manga but as we all know, the original work being good doesn't mean the anime *cough*Tsukihime*cough*. I don't want to go all the way through it only to find they butchered the story ;_;

I haven't read the manga (Yes I'm a filthy casual), but I do have the first 10 episodes on my HDD, haven't watched yet though. I've heard it's pretty good however.

EDIT: Gonna start Dragonball ASAP. Woot.

EDIT2: Holy ecchi and child nudity batman, wasn't expecting that, I can see why it was edited so heavily This show is good, glad I waited.

last.fm

Marag
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 6:31 pm 

I'm halfway thorugh Texhnolyze. It's similar to Ergo Proxy, but more interesting and less pretentious.

And Yoshi is a fucking dick. Holy shit.

Zelkiiro

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:12 pm 

Watching Baccano, and holy shit is this series fun.

TheOldOne
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 4:05 pm 

Zelkiiro wrote:

WHAT? You mean it took you this long? Damn.

A little ways into Dragonball's second season, having a great ole' time. Also took a look at it's english dub just for fun, holy shit it sounds retarded.

Spoiler: show
And lmao @ that ninja guy in Muscle Tower getting a pole up his ass

EDIT: Yep, largely. I was originally going to watch DBZ in english, but was thankfully steered in the right direction. Right now I've got Dragonball and DBZ uncut/remastered dual audio. Watching in subs of course.

It's gonna take awhile.

EDIT2: Your post vanished!?

last.fm

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 4:39 pm 

Marag wrote:
I'm halfway thorugh Texhnolyze. It's similar to Ergo Proxy, but more interesting and less pretentious.

And Yoshi is a fucking dick. Holy shit.

He was my favorite character, haha.

Both shows are getting a nice new boxset release in August I think. I'll probably pick them both up.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 4:45 pm 

TheOldOne wrote:
EDIT2: Your post vanished!?

Yeah I deleted it after I answered my own question by reading the above posts. I was gone for most of last month so I didn't know if there was anyone here influencing your decision to see the show. Xeo did it for me and it looks like he did it for you, too.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

TheOldOne
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:22 pm 

So... I haven't been able to grab much time for anime viewing lately, but in the interim I've been building a huge backlog to play around with later.
Also grabbed the Fate Stay Night VN, hoping to get around to playing that soon, and 37 volumes of the Berserk manga, which I'm very exited about (Was just taking a look through the first few pages and I'm hooked already).

And for future reference is the Hunter X Hunter dub any good? I've heard it is.

last.fm

hey
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 5:02 pm 

Zelkiiro wrote:

Yeah, it's probably my favorite series.

Marag
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:19 pm 

TheOldOne wrote:
Also grabbed the Fate Stay Night VN, hoping to get around to playing that soon, and 37 volumes of the Berserk manga, which I'm very exited about (Was just taking a look through the first few pages and I'm hooked already).

Same here, but both FS/N and the Berserk manga have been sitting around my computer for about 6 months. I really should get around reading them.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:42 pm 

I've been watching Genshiken and I'm loving it. Trying to find the OVAs online (subbed), but no good. Madarame is the greatest. Good old Gelal watched the special some time ago (posted about it in this thread), but I haven't seen it yet.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

RageW
Marisa's Harlot

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:55 pm 

TheOldOne wrote:
Also grabbed the Fate Stay Night VN, hoping to get around to playing that soon.

You must. It's long as all hell, but it's extraordinarily good. I read the Fate/Zero books as well; Nasu's got a very cool style of writing.

TheOldOne
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 2:22 pm 

RageW wrote:
TheOldOne wrote:
Also grabbed the Fate Stay Night VN, hoping to get around to playing that soon.

You must. It's long as all hell, but it's extraordinarily good. I read the Fate/Zero books as well; Nasu's got a very cool style of writing.

I read somewhere that the english translation has more words than the LOTR :o

And what was I just reading about now, Legend of the Legendary Heroes? Who the hell came up with that title.

last.fm

Marag
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:50 pm 

I finished the Saya no Uta VN..... Damn. I had most of the major revelations already spoiled to me, but it didn't lost much of it's impact at the end. This is some messed up stuff.

Anyway, it's a cool piece of lovecraftian horror, it did a pretty good job of portraying the disgust and uneasiness of the scenario. It also has a nice soundtrack.
I'd rather do without the sexual content, though I guess it helps in making the whole thing even more fucked up.

Going to play for the other endings now.

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:13 pm 

So I think Nana Mizuki is like straight up one of the best singers I've ever heard. Was going to post this as a joke in the Heavy/Speed/Power thread, but figured it was more appropriate here by the end of the day. Seriously though her precision and control on this song especially ... insanely impressive.

I'm not even into J-Pop or whatever you'd call this, but this stuff is great and she is insane. It helps that she's a bit older than the dumb j-jop teenyboppers out there that are just annoying as crap usually, this girl blows them away. I'd put her singing and awesomeness up there with Megumi Hayashibara.

Some other nice ones:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MtiskD8d3I
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dGrvJC_xZg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rkh5yqdTCOw

Maybe it's just me? :gay:

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:58 am 

Brave 10 = loved it and want another season.
Black Butler 1 = (dub) enjoyed it quite a bit.
Black Butler 2 = (sub) less enjoyable than the first season. Too twisted for its own good.
Naruto = (dub). EEEEUUUGGHH it's horrid. If they got rid of the main character, it'd at least be tolerable garbage.

Zelkiiro

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 12:54 pm 

OzzyApu wrote:
Naruto = (dub). EEEEUUUGGHH it's horrid. If they got rid of the main character, it'd at least be tolerable garbage.

The Japanese version ain't no better.

If they'd have kept it short, at least it'd have the dignity of just being a mediocre action series.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 2:09 pm 

Zelkiiro wrote:
OzzyApu wrote:

The Japanese version ain't no better.

If they'd have kept it short, at least it'd have the dignity of just being a mediocre action series.

The versions I have got both dub and sub and you're right. If they got rid of the main character (the absolute worst main character I've ever endured), stopped having so many flashbacks and padding, and was less kid-oriented, this would be a far better (from shit to mediocre) action series. 220 episodes of this isn't justified. It gets there mostly because of padding. There are episodes where the first 8 minutes is the same shit - literally the same frames and scenes - repeated from the previous episode. Then the title card kicks in and it's on to the next scenes.

Only watching this show just to experience the horror of how awful it is.

TheOldOne
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 2:44 pm 

Oh yeah, Naruto. That scene re-use was atrocious. And easily the worst MC I've ever seen.

On a more positive note, I've made it into season 3 on Dragon Ball, looking forward to the next Goku vs Tao Pai Pai fight. First one was hilariously brief, maybe this one will be a bit longer.

last.fm

Byrain
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 5:17 pm 

OzzyApu wrote:
The versions I have got both dub and sub and you're right. If they got rid of the main character (the absolute worst main character I've ever endured), stopped having so many flashbacks and padding, and was less kid-oriented, this would be a far better (from shit to mediocre) action series. 220 episodes of this isn't justified. It gets there mostly because of padding. There are episodes where the first 8 minutes is the same shit - literally the same frames and scenes - repeated from the previous episode. Then the title card kicks in and it's on to the next scenes.

Only watching this show just to experience the horror of how awful it is.

...you should just stop, certainly you have better things to do then watch that pile of shit. If you really must suffer naruto, read the manga, you'll spend a fraction of a time on it and won't have to endure the overabundance of filler (more then 50% of the show at least).

Marag
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 6:38 pm 

Naruto was semi tolerable(if the protagonist wasn't so fucking shitty it wouldn't be so bad) until that part where they kill the Zabuza guy, after this you should only consider watching if you are a masochist.

By the way, I'm almost finishing Texhnolyze and it has been great so far.

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 7:20 pm 

Texhnolyze's ending... hahahah oh man.

Yoshi was my favorite character. That guy was nuts.

Marag
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:09 pm 

Xeogred wrote:
Texhnolyze's ending... hahahah oh man.

Yoshi was my favorite character. That guy was nuts.

It will be probably something miserable and confusing as fuck, looking forward to it.

And I already said before, Yoshi is a dick, but the cool kind of dick. I was a surprised that
Spoiler: show
he died for real when Ichise punched the shit out of him, I was expecting him to stick around longer, instead he got replaced by that faggot Kano

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:01 am 

It's one of the most fucked up and weirdest endings I've ever seen, but I couldn't help but love it.

Exorcist Junior
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 3:52 am 

I like animes....currently watching a lot of rurouni kenshin...!!

The_Erlking
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:51 am 

^^Texhnolyze rules. I might prefer it to Lain even!

Exorcist Junior wrote:
I like animes....currently watching a lot of rurouni kenshin...!!

Be sure to watch those Samurai X OVAs because at least to me they are much better than the tv series. More mature, visual and focused in drama. A lot more violent also.
I'd love to blast a bit of Voivod and make a better-looking gun turret to glue on the tortoise's shell to make it look like Killing Technology, but the wife won't let me. I think I'll get an Emperor penguin instead.

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:44 am 

I finished up Paranoia Agent recently, great stuff. Definitely been thinking of giving Lain another shot sometime soon... I caught the dub on Anime Unleashed way back in the day, but it was so boring. Think it was the dub though.

Zelkiiro

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:41 pm 

Xeogred wrote:
I finished up Paranoia Agent recently, great stuff. Definitely been thinking of giving Lain another shot sometime soon... I caught the dub on Anime Unleashed way back in the day, but it was so boring. Think it was the dub though.

No, it wasn't just the dub.

Marag
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:31 am 

Xeogred wrote:
It's one of the most fucked up and weirdest endings I've ever seen, but I couldn't help but love it.

I just watched it
what the hell
And I thought that this show couldn't get any more depressive...oh boy i was wrong

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33 ... 61  Next