* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 12:15 pm 

I love Fairy Tail.

Has anyone watched Dragon’s Dogma?
"So, you want to sign songs about your great and glorious invisible cloud daddy? Go right ahead. You have whole tax-free buildings to do that in. I am not only not listening, I am intentionally going out of my way to ignore you."

~Guest 334273
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 2:44 am 

Anybody here has interest in the Fate series? I've been really impressed by Fate/Zero, i approached the show blindly i didn't expect that level of writing and maturity.

I've also checked out the other adaptations by Ufotable (UBW and Heaven's Feel, both different than i expected, but still good) and i was wondering if any of the countless spin offs are worth watching, they don't seem particularly appealing to me at face value

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:19 am 

^I've never watched it, but I've seen it streaming on one of the streaming services, so I'll give it a chance.
"So, you want to sign songs about your great and glorious invisible cloud daddy? Go right ahead. You have whole tax-free buildings to do that in. I am not only not listening, I am intentionally going out of my way to ignore you."

~Guest 334273
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:28 am 

yeah, i highly suggest it! the only warning is that the first episode it's a bit tough as it drops a huge chunk of informations to build the setting and the characters. The payoffs are huge however!

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 2:07 pm 

The only other Fate anime I've heard good things about are El-Melloi II Case Files (a lighter spin-off sequel to Fate/Zero that revolves around one of the main characters being a magic detective), and Fate/Grand Order Babylonia (which requires knowledge of the mobile game, so probably not best to dive right in).

Other than that, the overwhelming vast majority of non-ufotable Fate anime are garbage fires.

~Guest 334273
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:30 am 

Zelkiiro wrote:
The only other Fate anime I've heard good things about are El-Melloi II Case Files (a lighter spin-off sequel to Fate/Zero that revolves around one of the main characters being a magic detective), and Fate/Grand Order Babylonia (which requires knowledge of the mobile game, so probably not best to dive right in).

Other than that, the overwhelming vast majority of non-ufotable Fate anime are garbage fires.

Yeah, as i expected. I've zero will to jump into the hellhole of Fate GO, i'll se where i can find El-Melloi II Case Files: thanks!
I'll will also probably have to endure the Stay Night cooking spinoff. My GF loved UBW and wants more from that cast no matter what :lol:

Zelkiiro

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:47 pm 

Morn Of Solace wrote:
I'll will also probably have to endure the Stay Night cooking spinoff. My GF loved UBW and wants more from that cast no matter what :lol:

Oh, I forgot about that one, the Dinner With the Emiya Household show. I've heard it was cute.

The_Doo_Over
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:09 pm 

Xeogred wrote:
Byrain wrote:
Ever try Berserk or Gunnm?

Gunnm is amazing. I hear Last Order sucks though?

I'm not big into manga but I told a friend I liked Gunnm and he said I might dig Dorohedoro. The art definitely looks pretty cool. Other than that I was thinking of reading Sanctuary, 20th Century Boys, and some other random stuff... not much.

Some favorites of mine are Legend of the Galactic Heroes, Votoms, Zeta Gundam, City Hunter, Maison, Touch, Space Adventure Cobra, bunch of other older stuff.

At least Kutulu got it right. There's more to anime than Akira, Ghost in the Shell, Naruto, Cowboy Bebop, Evangelion, and anything and everything Adult Swim ever showed. Do some research yourself and you'll find the goods.

Fuck yeah! I love Dorohedoro! I can't wait for Season 2!

lupin99
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 2:41 pm 

Gilbert Gottfried recites the one piece rap on cameo

https://www.cameo.com/v/607f9056f61da7001d85254b

I thought this should have been used by 4 kids back in the day. Lol

nightbreaker33
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 4:47 pm 

I most recently watched Higurashi Sotsu. Higurashi You is required to watch Sotsu. Gou I thought was pretty interesting, it had a good mystery established, some moments outside of hinamizawa, the village where the events of all the series take place and a lot of memorable moments. At 24 episodes, it is quite appetising but Sotsu on the other hand.. well it's not that good. A lot of reused footage, not too many episodes and an ending without build-up. Completely anticlimactic ending. Just a quite disappointing season. Gou gets 9.5 and Sotsu gets 6 put of 10. Note that the original series is required to be watched before you watch Gou and Sotsu.

lupin99
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2022 1:44 pm 

Has anyone watched the new Bastard show on Netflix? I really enjoyed it, I was glad that they kept all the metal references. I miss this type of anime, just old school shounen jump 80s vibe that has tons of fun.

Tonatiuth
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2022 10:56 am 

Not sure if anyone commented it already but Ajin: Demi human plot is very interesting, kinda gory, Elfen Lied is a good example of gore although is a little bit exaggerated still the story is very good, Death Note, I've seen it like 100 times and still today I discover new things about those series. Akame Ga kill has an interesting distropic plot and a badass kawai-heavy intro.

lol I believe there's a misunderstanding. Tonatiuth is referring to the deathcore band, not anything related to your music.

Fefnir
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2022 7:24 am 

Chrono Crusade was a good anime, still pending to watch it again, i am also re-watching both fullmetal alchemist animes after watching them for the last time on 2015. I recommend both animes.

Hexenmacht46290
Has a GED in Gamercide

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 1:58 pm 

I’m not an expert on anime, and I’ll probably get made fun of for asking this, but, I never watched Dragonball before, and I’m really stressed out by my life, and lifting weights is one of the few things I can rely on in my life(like Conan, and steel), and I’ve heard good recommendations of Dragonball, from bodybuilders I’ve met. I’m making an effort to not consume clickbait, or other negative media, and I watched some of those classical YouTube videos, or DBZ characters fighting, to nu metal, or douchebag butt rock, and it looked inspirational. I’ve heard great things about the show, for years.

I started watching the show, and it’s pretty fucked up and perverted. I understand cultural differences, in nudity, but I’m only a few episodes in, and there’s a rape monster, who’s got some incel “nice guy” backstory, so he kidnapped girls, to be concubines in his palace, until Goku makes him promise not to do it anymore? And the cliché king fu master only gives up the Dragonball he has, if a woman shows her underwear? And this is all treated like a joke?

Does this show get better? Does it get good enough to forgive this stuff? I never watched the show, except for a few moments, of fighting, that looked pretty inspirational, and I can see how it goes with wanting to lift weights and get jacked, but no one told me it had all this perversion. Is it worth watching? Am I missing out? Should I watch some better anime, with similar themes?
With my weed, I smoke every day
If I'm not high, the hate will escape
I smoke and smoke, stoned as a fuck
Weed is my life, weed is my love…
-John Gallagher

Zelkiiro

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 2:11 pm 

Hexenmacht46290 wrote:
I’m not an expert on anime, and I’ll probably get made fun of for asking this, but, I never watched Dragonball before, and I’m really stressed out by my life, and lifting weights is one of the few things I can rely on in my life(like Conan, and steel), and I’ve heard good recommendations of Dragonball, from bodybuilders I’ve met. I’m making an effort to not consume clickbait, or other negative media, and I watched some of those classical YouTube videos, or DBZ characters fighting, to nu metal, or douchebag butt rock, and it looked inspirational. I’ve heard great things about the show, for years.

I started watching the show, and it’s pretty fucked up and perverted. I understand cultural differences, in nudity, but I’m only a few episodes in, and there’s a rape monster, who’s got some incel “nice guy” backstory, so he kidnapped girls, to be concubines in his palace, until Goku makes him promise not to do it anymore? And the cliché king fu master only gives up the Dragonball he has, if a woman shows her underwear? And this is all treated like a joke?

Does this show get better? Does it get good enough to forgive this stuff? I never watched the show, except for a few moments, of fighting, that looked pretty inspirational, and I can see how it goes with wanting to lift weights and get jacked, but no one told me it had all this perversion. Is it worth watching? Am I missing out? Should I watch some better anime, with similar themes?

It does get better, as in, those kinds of perverted jokes become less and less prevalent until Z starts, where they're almost entirely phased out.

Dragonball Z (or Kai, if you want to watch a properly-paced version) is much more the serious action series with a few bits of comedy here and there.
The original Dragonball, however, was basically a screwball adventure comedy with some mild action sprinkled in a few places. Japan in the early 1980s was a hell of a weird place.

Hexenmacht46290
Has a GED in Gamercide

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2022 11:29 am 

Which version of Dragonball Z do you recommend? I’m fine with the slow pacing, I’ll be watching it in English, but I’ve never had a problem with subtitles. I’ve heard that Funimation’s English dub had the most extremely extreme 90s dialogue, which sounds good, but I’ve also heard that they heavily censored it, to appeal to Christian normies, even changing Mr. Satan’s name, and removing blood and corpses. Is there a big difference, between Japanese with English subtitles, and English dub, when it come to being extremely extreme?
With my weed, I smoke every day
If I'm not high, the hate will escape
I smoke and smoke, stoned as a fuck
Weed is my life, weed is my love…
-John Gallagher

Zelkiiro

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2022 11:38 am 

It's been dubbed multiple times over the years (by Funimation themselves, no less). Including a new dub for Dragonball Kai, which is just DBZ but with most time-wasting tactics and filler excised. The original series was 291 episodes long, partially because the manga was being written at the same time, so the pacing was glacial to allow Toriyama to get more chapters out. With Kai, though, the episodes have been re-edited to be paced more like a proper action series.

And the English version is preferable to the Japanese. It just straight-up sounds better.

nekuomanteia
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2022 4:06 pm 

Just got Memories. Hope it's as good as it looks.

lupin99
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 4:28 pm 

nekuomanteia wrote:
Just got Memories. Hope it's as good as it looks.

Magnetic Rose is a masterpiece. The blu ray is fantastic. Discotek did a phenomenal job on it.

lupin99
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2023 12:14 am 

So I just finally saw the original Gunbuster and its as great as everyone had said it was. Truly epic and superb animation detail. Discotek did great with this release and the English dub is really good. Probably one of my favorite Gainix titles besides Otaku No Video and Wings of honneamise.

Zelkiiro

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2023 2:34 pm 

Gunbuster is truly amazing, aside from a hasty pace and a few...erm, late 80s Gainax-isms, we'll call it.

Otaku no Video is great, too. Lotta fun and full of heart, and communicates the feeling of being an otaku perfectly.

Wings of Honneamise, though, I have a lot of problems with. It feels like it's not sure what it wants to be.

lupin99
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2023 11:22 am 

Zelkiiro wrote:
Gunbuster is truly amazing, aside from a hasty pace and a few...erm, late 80s Gainax-isms, we'll call it.

Otaku no Video is great, too. Lotta fun and full of heart, and communicates the feeling of being an otaku perfectly.

Wings of Honneamise, though, I have a lot of problems with. It feels like it's not sure what it wants to be.

I get where you are coming from with Honneamise but I felt as a first project for Gainix it's still a unique movie and the animation still looks fantastic.

I actually supported the Otaku No Video crowdfunding back in 2015/2016 and even got my name In the credit for the support in the blu ray set.

I am about to start the Sherlock Hound blu ray set and then watch Voltes V that I recently picked up. I love to support classic anime and I always feel newer anime fans tend to overlook shows or don't try to watch anime made before 2000s (unless it's Ghibli or Evangelion) . Even when I was growing up I always was interested in the classics. Does anybody ever feel this way?

deadtome
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2023 1:06 pm 

Zelkiiro wrote:
It's been dubbed multiple times over the years (by Funimation themselves, no less). Including a new dub for Dragonball Kai, which is just DBZ but with most time-wasting tactics and filler excised. The original series was 291 episodes long, partially because the manga was being written at the same time, so the pacing was glacial to allow Toriyama to get more chapters out. With Kai, though, the episodes have been re-edited to be paced more like a proper action series.

And the English version is preferable to the Japanese. It just straight-up sounds better.

I'm new here and am another DBZ fan as well.
Loved Z, GT and am FINALLY getting around to watching Super which is a pretty good time.

chicken4war
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2023 7:27 pm 

I don't watch too many animes, however I have been watching Azumanga Daioh recently. It's an alright series and I find that I can relate to Tomo (because we both have adhd lol)

simonitro
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2023 11:52 am 

lupin99 wrote:
So I just finally saw the original Gunbuster and its as great as everyone had said it was. Truly epic and superb animation detail. Discotek did great with this release and the English dub is really good. Probably one of my favorite Gainix titles besides Otaku No Video and Wings of honneamise.

Oh yeah, Gunbuster is amazing and honestly, I prefer it over Neon Genesis Evangelion. Noriko grows throughout series whereas Shinji grows more annoying especially in the End of Evangelion movie.

Young_Metalhead
Saanut kerran. Todistetusti.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2023 10:58 pm 

Nice to see my thread still exists lol

We've been rewatching Naruto with the kids. They seem to like it, wife is a huge fan and we have some family time together. Other than that I haven't watched much, I'm mostly reading manga these days.

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2023 1:11 pm 

The Blue Eyed Samurai Smut Show on Netflix was pretty good after one episode.

The first episode was almost an hour long and there are eight, so I only made it through one.

Red Dragoon
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2023 5:37 pm 

Anime is kind of like my religion I guess haha. I'm currently watching 3 actually. One is One Piece, I'm around at the 700th episode's. I just started watching this show which most fan's knows of the noble work Inuyasha, called Ranma 1/2. Been try to start viewing that for a while. Then lastly, I'm almost at the end of Onmyouji, which is also on Netflix. (from latest user post above.)

Jonpo
Hyperc6l6mb6wler

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2023 10:59 pm 

I know it's not an anime but Scavenger's Reign is one of the greatest things I've ever watched, animated or otherwise. HBO. Don't sleep.

insanewayne253
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2023 5:21 am 

Hunter X Hunter 1999 still holds up even though it ended on the Yorknew City arc. I’m glad those early arcs were paced better in the 2011 version. Each series has its own unique flavor

Been in a Gundam kick and watched Zeta and Char’s Counterattack. Victory Gundam gets really fucked up. Would love to see a revisit to the UC timeline post Victory. I keep hearing about The Witch From Mercury being pretty good. When I get a hot minute I’ll check it out, unlike other series, it’s only 26 episodes.

CoconutBackwards
Bullet Centrist

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2023 9:56 am 

I loved how Hunter X Hunter started and I loved the Greed Island arc, but the Chimera arc was so long and arduous that I completely lost interest in all of it.

simonitro
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2023 3:01 am 

Anybody been watching the 2023 version of Rurouni Kenshin? It's not bad... few pacing issues here and there but not bad, overall. Obviously, it won't be compared to the original version from 1996 but for what it is, it's good. Season 2 announced and they're covering the Shishio story arc which was kickass in the original.

Ali Gothika
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2024 9:59 am 

Any Beavis & Butthead fans here?? I hope I am posting in the right place...I have loved them for years, sometimes when I have a bad day, I look up these morons on-line and I usually end up laughing..

Auselesspileofflesh
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Feb 29, 2024 7:48 pm 

Any reccomendations for Anime with beautiful, state of the art visuals?

Really appreciated the nature scenes in Princess Mononoke, the world building in Spirited Away and the scene in Howl's Moving Castle where Howl and Calcifer first meet. Obviously like my action/horror/horror but also try and find slice-of-life Anime with the high end visuals and deep introspective stories etc

Everyone starts out being an atheist. No one is born with belief in anything. Infants are atheists until they are indoctrinated.

https://linktr.ee/awfulnoisegrind

lupin99
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2024 1:06 pm 

RIP Akira Toriyama

This was big bummer. I grew up on Dragon Ball Z and while it's not my favorite anime ever. I give mad props and respect to a man who's work inspired many people.

Zelkiiro

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2024 10:45 am 

Auselesspileofflesh wrote:
Any reccomendations for Anime with beautiful, state of the art visuals?

Really appreciated the nature scenes in Princess Mononoke, the world building in Spirited Away and the scene in Howl's Moving Castle where Howl and Calcifer first meet. Obviously like my action/horror/horror but also try and find slice-of-life Anime with the high end visuals and deep introspective stories etc

The first things that came to mind for me are both Kyoto Animation shows: Hibike! Euphonium, and Violet Evergarden. They're both slice-of-life dramas, but very different in their atmosphere and tone. And of course, both are excellent.

If you want more action, definitely hop on the Fate/Zero -> Fate/Stay Night ~Unlimited Blade Works~ TV -> Fate/Stay Night ~Heaven's Feel~ movie trilogy train.

Also, there's the first season of One Punch Man, as well as all 3 seasons of Mob Psycho 100. They have quirky art styles, especially the latter, but they do NOT slouch when it comes to action visuals.

Cyberpunk Edgerunners is another great choice. Studio Trigger's stylized animation makes for phenomenal action sequences, and this is probably their best-looking TV show.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 57, 58, 59, 60, 61