* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 10:12 am 

OzzyApu wrote:
bj_waters wrote:
Since I'm already in a spoiler tag: After a while I suddenly began to notice that Death Note follows the Shonen Jump formula pretty closely, particularly DBZ. Think about it: Light is Goku, Misa is Chi-Chi, L is Freiza, Mello is the androids, and Near is Cell. The comparisons could go on, they've just replaced all of the fighting with minds games, and kamehamehas with tricks.

I'm a big Z fan and I have no idea what logic you're using to make that comparison.

Holy shit, hopefully he was joking or on drugs.

Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 10:19 am 

It would work better if Light weren't the villain and didn't treat people like ants.

BaloroftheEvilEye
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 12:11 pm 

Nephilum667 wrote:
show fan art, that shit's cool.

No it isn't, and it's a dime a dozen on DA.

TheOldOne
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 9:35 pm 

Wrapped up Black Butler the other day, graphic violence, bloody murders, rampant gender-bending (I still wasn't sure if Grell was male or female by the end of the show) and pretty good animation and dub. Rather enjoyable for me.

And last night I started on Tiger and Bunny, this one is gonna be good methinks.

last.fm

RageW
Marisa's Harlot

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 1:08 am 

I started watching Saber Marionette J the other day. I'm liking it so far, even if it's a bit predictable. However, a lot of my friends recommended it to me and said it was worthwhile all in all. We'll see how that goes!

Bikan
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 1:10 am 

Anyone watching anything from this season?

Shit music

Zelkiiro

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 1:21 am 

Gonna start checking out Sakamichi no Apollon soon. It has the same director, music director/writer, and animation studio as Cowboy Bebop.
TheOldOne wrote:
And last night I started on Tiger and Bunny, this one is gonna be good methinks.

It is. It's fairly predictable, as is any prime-time 26-episode shounen action anime, but damn is it a lot of fun.

Last edited by Zelkiiro on Tue May 29, 2012 1:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bikan
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 1:22 am 

I've heard about that. I had already picked out shows to watch before I came across it though. I try not to have too heavy a load. The animation for SnA looks really nice and unique.

Shit music

HellBlazer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 1:37 am 

Zelkiiro wrote:
It has the same director as Cowboy Bebop.

*perks up* What? He has a new series? :hyper:

Oh... adapted from a josei manga... :aww: Hmm, I don't know, I guess I could give it a shot...

Marag
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 9:48 am 

Bikan wrote:
Anyone watching anything from this season?

Those last seasons have been boring as fuck.

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 10:07 am 

Space Brothers looks good.

Bikan
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 11:19 am 

Yeah Space Brothers is really good. Really feel-good anime. I think its my favorite of the season.

Shit music

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 8:13 pm 

At a glance it kind of gives me Planetes vibes, anything like that? I still need to see Moonlight Mile, I wonder if that was decent.

Marag
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 9:04 pm 

Finally watched Mononoke Hime.
Pretty good. I wasn't expecting anything special, but I was pleasantly surprised.

Zelkiiro

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 9:13 pm 

Marag wrote:
Pretty good. I wasn't expecting anything special, but I was pleasantly surprised.

It's a fine film, but it pales--PALES--in comparison to Castle of Cagliostro or Castle in the Sky.

TheOldOne
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 9:32 pm 

Watching ep.3, See Barnaby training with machines.

My reaction.

last.fm

bj_waters
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 3:07 pm 

OzzyApu wrote:
bj_waters wrote:
Since I'm already in a spoiler tag: After a while I suddenly began to notice that Death Note follows the Shonen Jump formula pretty closely, particularly DBZ. Think about it: Light is Goku, Misa is Chi-Chi, L is Freiza, Mello is the androids, and Near is Cell. The comparisons could go on, they've just replaced all of the fighting with minds games, and kamehamehas with tricks.

I'm a big Z fan and I have no idea what logic you're using to make that comparison.

Xeogred wrote:
Holy shit, hopefully he was joking or on drugs.

Zelkiiro wrote:
It would work better if Light weren't the villain and didn't treat people like ants.

Apparently my statement could stand for some clarification. To begin, I'm not comparing characters (Light is obviously nothing like Goku) but rather their place in the overall story. More details in the spoiler:

Spoiler: show
If you set the first half of Death Note along side the Saiyans-Namek-Frieza arc of DBZ, the plot begins to share a lot of comparisons. If Light is our "hero," then he goes through several lesser obstacles before facing his major opponent. I'm saying that he has a Raditz, a Vegeta, a Ginyu force, before having a big showdown with Frieza (L). Another thing is that during that DBZ arc, Frieza kind of hangs over it as the Big Bad Guy, having a general antagonist element throughout the arc in the same sense that L does until he dies.

Moving on the Android-Cell arc, Light has to deal with Mello first (Androids) before taking on Near. However, at the very end, Near outright admits that he couldn't have beaten Light without Mello's help. In the same sense, Cell couldn't have beaten Goku without the Android's "help."

Sure, I might not be lining up all the details and the plot may not be a complete beat-for-beat retelling, but I still want to get across the point that Death Note is just another stereotypical Shonen Action series with all of the tropes dressed up in supernatural thriller clothes. That's not to say that it wasn't a good series, because it definitely was; I just don't think it's as innovative as some people might think.

Zelkiiro wrote:
Marag wrote:

It's a fine film, but it pales--PALES--in comparison to Castle of Cagliostro or Castle in the Sky.

While everyone has the right to their own opinion, to say that Princess Mononoke "pales in comparison" I think deserves some qualification. I admit that Mononoke is my favorite Ghibli film, but Castle in the Sky is second and Castle of Cagliostro is a definite high-note of Miyazaki's career. I'm not saying that my opinion is right and yours is wrong, but I am saying that I think all three are quite comparable, and I'd like to know why you think Princess Mononoke falls so short.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 3:45 pm 

bj_waters wrote:
Apparently my statement could stand for some clarification. To begin, I'm not comparing characters (Light is obviously nothing like Goku) but rather their place in the overall story. More details in the spoiler:

Spoiler: show
If you set the first half of Death Note along side the Saiyans-Namek-Frieza arc of DBZ, the plot begins to share a lot of comparisons. If Light is our "hero," then he goes through several lesser obstacles before facing his major opponent. I'm saying that he has a Raditz, a Vegeta, a Ginyu force, before having a big showdown with Frieza (L). Another thing is that during that DBZ arc, Frieza kind of hangs over it as the Big Bad Guy, having a general antagonist element throughout the arc in the same sense that L does until he dies.

Moving on the Android-Cell arc, Light has to deal with Mello first (Androids) before taking on Near. However, at the very end, Near outright admits that he couldn't have beaten Light without Mello's help. In the same sense, Cell couldn't have beaten Goku without the Android's "help."

Sure, I might not be lining up all the details and the plot may not be a complete beat-for-beat retelling, but I still want to get across the point that Death Note is just another stereotypical Shonen Action series with all of the tropes dressed up in supernatural thriller clothes. That's not to say that it wasn't a good series, because it definitely was; I just don't think it's as innovative as some people might think.

Ok yes your point needed clarification and now I understand where you are coming from. Good thing you typed "plot may not be a complete beat-for-beat retelling", because I would have made that point myself. An honest perspective, though, so thanks for taking the time to break it down.
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Derath
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 8:48 am 

Can anyone recommend some series where the atmosphere is enhanced by the music? Like Samurai Champloo with all the hip hop music and cultural references. Another one with a badass soundtrack is Lupin III: The Woman Called Fujiko Mine. I guess it started airing in like early April? Anyway, I've only watched two episodes so I haven't really gotten into the story yet, but the artwork is fucking wicked, and it's got a jazzy soundtrack like Cowboy Bebop that adds to the retro look and vibe of the show.

Zelkiiro

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 9:23 am 

Man, I know a lot of great anime with wonderful soundtracks.

Monster has a fantastic orchestral score that complements every scene.
FLCL uses rock songs by The Pillows as its soundtrack to great effect.
It's pretty widely agreed that, even though Noir is merely okay as an anime series, its soundtrack is fucking incredible.
Death Note uses huge orchestras and booming choirs that make the series a lot more fun and a lot more engrossing than it would be without it.
Hajime no Ippo's soundtrack is quite varied and fits every scene perfectly. It also helps that it was written by the guy who did Trigun's soundtrack.
Speaking of which, Trigun.
While I prefer Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood to the 2003 series in many ways, the 2003 series had a phenomenal score.
BECK: Mongolian Chop Squad and Nana are two anime that involve characters in bands; the former has a Rage Against the Machine style, the latter a more 80s punk vibe.

RageW
Marisa's Harlot

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 8:36 pm 

My favourite anime is Rozen Maiden, thanks to, among a whole lot other things, the amazing Victorian soundtrack.

Also, I second Noir.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 8:52 pm 

After the epic conclusion of Fullmetal Alchemist (A love interest I share with RageW), Hellblazer gave me the files of Samurai Champloo and I must say that I'm already sold after 3 episodes. The atmosphere, the music, the characters are all awesome. I'm becoming an anime fan :love:

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

Zelkiiro

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 9:37 pm 

Metantoine wrote:
After the epic conclusion of Fullmetal Alchemist (A love interest I share with RageW), Hellblazer gave me the files of Samurai Champloo and I must say that I'm already sold after 3 episodes. The atmosphere, the music, the characters are all awesome. I'm becoming an anime fan :love:

A lot of stuff they air on Adult Swim (including FMA and Samurai Champloo) are series that have wide appeal, so even folks who generally don't like anime can get into those shows.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 9:47 pm 

Maybe they have wide appeal because they don't suck...Stop wasting my fun!

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

bj_waters
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:00 pm 

Metantoine wrote:
Maybe they have wide appeal because they don't suck...Stop wasting my fun!

He's got a point!

As for unique soundtracks, I think I'd throw down Blue Submarine No. 6. For all of it's sci-fi/naval war action, it's acid jazz soundtrack fits weirdly well. Cowboy Bebop's already been mentioned, but it's soundtrack is by Yoko Kanno, a favorite among anime fans. Wouldn't hurt to see what else she has done (Escaflowne, Macross Plus, Ghost in the Shell: SAC).

TheOldOne
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:37 pm 

That engineer guy in Tiger and Bunny is great, "ARE YOU ASLEEP YET!!!".

About 15 episodes in so far, still enjoying it, Barnaby isn't quite as annoying anymore and Tiger is somewhat less retarded. The animation is holding up well too, everything looks pretty slick, fights are glorious etc.

last.fm

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 1:05 am 

Anyone who skipped out on the Patlabor OVA's / TV series and just watched the movies is totally missing out. Weirdest show ever, it's like... pretty drab and just about people doing their jobs, but that's the point heh. It's really unique and the cast is awesome. There's BD rips out there too for everything from it and damn it looks incredible.

TheOldOne
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 11:58 am 

Xeogred wrote:
Anyone who skipped out on the Patlabor OVA's / TV series and just watched the movies is totally missing out. Weirdest show ever, it's like... pretty drab and just about people doing their jobs, but that's the point heh. It's really unique and the cast is awesome. There's BD rips out there too for everything from it and damn it looks incredible.

I once tried to watch the second movie, fell asleep before the halfway mark.

last.fm

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 3:17 pm 

TheOldOne wrote:
Xeogred wrote:

I once tried to watch the second movie, fell asleep before the halfway mark.

Exactly. Have you seen the other stuff? I didn't care for the movies either because the entire cast was just a bunch of "random characters"... but once you see the OVA's and TV series (which are more comical) you actually get to know these characters. So I predict I'll enjoy the movies a lot more a second time around.

It was the same deal for me with GITS. No matter how many times I watched the movie growing up, I never really cared for it until after I saw SAC, so I actually got some character development there. Gave me a new appreciation for the movie (although I still don't like Innocence).

Oshii's just crazy. I loved Angel's Egg though, and it's probably one of the slowest and weirdest anime movies ever.

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:26 am 

First Berserk movie was pretty terribad. Anyone who thinks this is a better representation of the story is completely bonkers. Worst pacing I've ever seen. Generic casting. Generic music. Super weird animation style.

A full TV series by Madhouse or something would've been far more ideal. This... is just a sloppy clip show at best.

RageW
Marisa's Harlot

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:23 am 

Berserk seems like torture porn to me. Totally not cute.

jewk
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:55 pm 

Elfen Lied and Deathnote are awesome.

TheOldOne
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:13 pm 

jewk wrote:

Protip: Elfen Lied is not really well liked around here.

Death Note is cool though.

last.fm

TheOldOne
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:13 pm 

jewk wrote:

Death Note is cool though.

last.fm

flexodus
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:28 pm 

I never really watched much anime aside from entry-level stuff like Death Note (was really good but I never finished it) and DBZ. Speaking of which, I ended up watching all 276 godforsaken episodes of DBZ over the course of this school year.. good lord, it was worth it but jesus christ that took a long time. Saw Ozzy mentioned the Broly movies earlier, and although I agree he's a pretty retarded character (so strong he's able to pummel everybody ever until the movie's run time is up and Goku kills him with ONE PUNCH, WHAT?!) but at the same time he pretty much takes the whole DBZ concept to such an extreme it's kinda awesome as well. I'm not sure if I should follow up with the original Dragon Ball or GT... perhaps neither :p
my sister does nothing but forcing me to listen to Gothenburg/melodic metalcore albums all day while refusing to listen to regular death metal

RageW
Marisa's Harlot

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:02 am 

TheOldOne wrote:

The anime sucks, yeah. However, the manga is quite good.

TheOldOne
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:13 pm 

Going through Angel Beats now, this is good. Somehow I think I won't like the ending but who knows.

EDIT: Finished, really enjoyed it, the ending in particular was quite unexpected (Rather sad too).

And recently started on Scrapped Princess. Hey, the guy who said it was a popcorn anime was quite right.

last.fm

Kahalachan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:20 am 

TheExodusAttack wrote:
I never really watched much anime aside from entry-level stuff like Death Note (was really good but I never finished it) and DBZ. Speaking of which, I ended up watching all 276 godforsaken episodes of DBZ over the course of this school year.. good lord, it was worth it but jesus christ that took a long time. Saw Ozzy mentioned the Broly movies earlier, and although I agree he's a pretty retarded character (so strong he's able to pummel everybody ever until the movie's run time is up and Goku kills him with ONE PUNCH, WHAT?!) but at the same time he pretty much takes the whole DBZ concept to such an extreme it's kinda awesome as well. I'm not sure if I should follow up with the original Dragon Ball or GT... perhaps neither :p

By the time DBZ got around to the end of the Cell saga, everyone was too powerful for there to be much more substance. It was too much about the next type of power up. As far as Brolly, seems they were looking to make a character on par with or greater than Cell's threat level but when they got around to figuring out how to win, they just threw in that stupid technique for Goku to win.

The awesomeness of the entire Dragon Ball series correlates to time. ;) The earlier episodes were the best and the latter ones declined. And GT is garbage that should never have existed especially since there's no manga and I don't consider it canon.

Dragon Ball allows for more humor, some of it pretty crude and funny, and characters have more weakness since it's before everyone was super powerful. Also it's nice to see characters that are more joke characters in Dragon Ball Z (due to them not being powerful enough to really fight or help) have important roles in Dragon Ball.

I highly recommend watching Dragon Ball as I consider it better than DBZ, but it is quite long. DBZ is more about fighting the next big bad enemy and the drama around that while Dragon Ball is more about going on the next adventure with the drama involved in that. Not as long as DBZ but it's like at least 150 episodes. So another year spent on Dragon Ball. Hah.

For DBZ movies, the Bardock movie is easily the best with Trunks' origin story being a fairly close second.

TheOldOne
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:25 pm 

Before too long I'm going to be embarking on DBZ myself, it's been too long, I must see it now.

last.fm

hey
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:28 pm 

TheOldOne wrote:
Going through Angel Beats now, this is good. Somehow I think I won't like the ending but who knows.
EDIT: Finished, really enjoyed it, the ending in particular was quite unexpected (Rather sad too).

Eh, I don't know. Angel Beats was okay, I guess, but it just seems something could've been better about it.
TheOldOne wrote:
Before too long I'm going to be embarking on DBZ myself, it's been too long, I must see it now.

Don't bother. Watch Fist of the North Star instead.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31 ... 61  Next