Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Zelkiiro
Pounding the world with a fish of steel

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:46 am 

Yuki Kajiura's soundtracks are always perfect.

Suffersystem
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:25 pm 

Zelkiiro wrote:

I haven't much she's done besides PMMM but holy mother of satan she's great.
Also, that vocal recording pic confirmed what I suspected: SLK records shirtless in a sweaty caveman-like delirium. You can almost hear the man stink in the recordings.

Zelkiiro

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:42 pm 

Suffersystem wrote:
Zelkiiro wrote:

I haven't much she's done besides PMMM but holy mother of satan she's great.

She's also well-known for her work in Noir, .hack//SIGN, Xenosaga II and III, Madlax, and a lot more.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yuki_Kajiu ... oundtracks

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:45 am 

Not really perfect in games, her style is obviously more suited to shows (admittedly that kind of works for Xenosaga lol, and Xenosaga I is probably Mitsuda's weakest work for sure, replaying it lately, I didn't know he did music for Shadow Hearts I-II which from what I've heard blow his Xenosaga stuff out of the water).

Zelkiiro

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:28 am 

Xeogred wrote:
Not really perfect in games, her style is obviously more suited to shows (admittedly that kind of works for Xenosaga lol, and Xenosaga I is probably Mitsuda's weakest work for sure, replaying it lately, I didn't know he did music for Shadow Hearts I-II which from what I've heard blow his Xenosaga stuff out of the water).

Shadow Hearts: Covenant has a great soundtrack, too. Mitsuda FTW!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGWVzDhDHMc

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:08 pm 

Yeah I've been checking out a lot of tracks, damn this is good Mitsuda right here. I can't wait to check out the games, think I'll hit up the first one soon I hope.

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:44 pm 

Rose of Versailles licensed, by the very competent Nozomi/Righstuf of all people...
http://www.rightstuf.com/rssite/main/ne ... To=Archive

Mind blown.

Zelkiiro

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:02 pm 

Xeogred wrote:
Rose of Versailles licensed, by the very competent Nozomi/Righstuf of all people...

Mind blown.

Well, that didn't take long. Only took them 40 FUCKING YEARS.

VoidApostle
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:26 pm 

http://i.minus.com/ibbfzrzuu8y9tT.jpg Here's the upcoming Autumn season.

Marag
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:16 pm 

JoJo anime fuck yeah, definetly gonna watch. Besides it maybe I'll try Kamisama whatever, Shin Sekai Yori and the Urobochi anime. I'd watch Hidamari Sketch but I've never saw the earlier seasons

And Madoka movie? Looks interesting.

Young_Metalhead
Saanut kerran. Todistetusti.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:39 pm 

Xeogred wrote:
Finished Arakawa Under the Bridge season 1 recently, loved it.

Loved it? Me too!!! Go and watch season 2 already.

Spoiler: show
The whole "Holy muscle revolution" is just GREAT.

Besides, you can't help but love the openings.

"See how? No, I don't. Now you see how, now you don't..."

Precious.

bj_waters
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:31 pm 

Marag wrote:
JoJo anime fuck yeah, definitely gonna watch.

You did hear that the ending theme is going to Roundabout, by Yes, right?.

To be honest, I'm not excited about anything else this season, except maybe the Hana no Utame Gothicmade because I saw some pretty good promotional art back in, like, 2007. Unfortunately, I've found very little to be excited about in the past few years of anime.

Zelkiiro wrote:
Xeogred wrote:
Mind blown.

Well, that didn't take long. Only took them 40 FUCKING YEARS.

Unfortunately, we Americans aren't very good at recognizing greatness from other countries, so it takes a while for us to pick this stuff up. I mean, in terms of "classics," we've just barely gained access to quite a few anime and manga series in the last few years: Fist of the North Star, Black Jack, Slam Dunk, Sailor V, Galaxy Express 999, etc.

Marag
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:24 pm 

bj_waters wrote:
Marag wrote:
JoJo anime fuck yeah, definitely gonna watch.

You did hear that the ending theme is going to Roundabout, by Yes, right?.

To be honest, I'm not excited about anything else this season, except maybe the Hana no Utame Gothicmade because I saw some pretty good promotional art back in, like, 2007. Unfortunately, I've found very little to be excited about in the past few years of anime.

Yes, I did. Honestly I'm a bit skeptical about JoJo design(he looks weird) on this adaptation, but I'm still hyped as hell for this. I'm not excited about anything else too, in fact all those last seasons weren't very interesting for me, so JJBA is the only thing I'm really intesrested, besides the Madoka movie

Marag
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:46 pm 

Just started watching Shinsekai Yori. Looks promising.

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:53 pm 

Pretty stoked for JJBA myself. The budget looks weird... the studio is "David Production"? lol, not sure what else they've done. Hopefully it turns out well though and covers a lot of the manga. Haven't checked any of it out myself yet, but I plan to hit up both for sure.

bj_waters
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:55 pm 

Xeogred wrote:
Pretty stoked for JJBA myself. The budget looks weird... the studio is "David Production"? lol, not sure what else they've done. Hopefully it turns out well though and covers a lot of the manga. Haven't checked any of it out myself yet, but I plan to hit up both for sure.

For what it's worth, here's a list of work they've done, according to ANN. Looks like mostly in-betweening. The only real major productions they've done is The Book of Bantorra and Ristorante Paradiso. We'll just have to see how well they handle over-the-top, manly action.

Marag
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:23 pm 

Seems strange that it isn't being adaptated by a bigger studio, considering JoJo is a long running series with a large fanbase.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LncqRnznspk

The animation looks about mid-budget, I hope they go all out in the Dio transformation/mansion burning scene. I like the voices so far.

On a related note, JoJo is also getting a PS3 game and it's looking pretty damn cool.

I only got into the series recently, and it seems it couldn't be at a better time.

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:14 pm 

Saw the manga was #2 on some charts in later September too, One Piece was #30 if that says a bit.

Madhouse should've picked it up, oh man would've been off the hook. They've been handling the Yorknew arc in HxH amazingly well lately. And the budget is just insane, I'd love to see them do more shounen.

percepticide
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:59 am 

Neon Genesis Evangelion

Elfen Lied

Death note are all badass series if you ask me

Movie wise I really like Paprika and A Perfect Blue

Marag
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:32 am 

i like NGE but I wish they would focus a bit more on the apocalyptic despair that the angels brought rather than the daddy issues of the characters. Gendo is a fucking cool guy though, so I forgive him for being the source of Shinji's bitchyness

Suffersystem
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:17 pm 

so i finalllyyyy watched the K-on! movie..
teared up at the end man, I just can't handle bittersweet shit. twas friggin beautiful.
Also, that vocal recording pic confirmed what I suspected: SLK records shirtless in a sweaty caveman-like delirium. You can almost hear the man stink in the recordings.

TheOldOne
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:21 pm 

Finished DBZ a couple days ago... damn, that took awhile. The scope of the whole thing was insane, the way the families grew and the cast aged was done pretty well IMO and I found the ending satisfactory, though Boo's reincarnation as what appeared to be a little Ethiopian was kinda... weird I thought. A good watch altogether, thanks again Xeo for convincing me to watch both shows in original audio.

I also watched Yu Yu Hakusho around the same time, pretty good show overall though the fights started to look like low-level DBZ fights starting around the end of the Chapter Black saga, and that last saga (Three kings or something) felt incredibly rushed to say the least.

Moving along, I've finally started on LOTGH, watched "My Conquest Is The Sea Of Stars" and "Overture To A New War" over the last couple days and I'm hoping to move on to the main series tonight. I loved the movies so I expect I'll really like the rest.

last.fm

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:27 pm 

TheOldOne wrote:
I found the ending satisfactory, though Boo's reincarnation as what appeared to be a little Ethiopian was kinda... weird I thought.

TheOldOne wrote:
I found the ending satisfactory

TheOldOne wrote:
I found the ending satisfactory

:grr: I put it up with the worst ending for an anime. All those episodes from DB and Z and all that's left is a big :grr:
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Zelkiiro

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:24 pm 

OzzyApu wrote:
I put it up with the worst ending for an anime.

Berserk, His and Her Circumstances, The End of Evangelion, Fate/Zero, Twelve Kingdoms, and Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt would like a word with you.

OzzyApu
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:27 pm 

Zelkiiro wrote:
OzzyApu wrote:
I put it up with the worst ending for an anime.

Berserk, His and Her Circumstances, The End of Evangelion, Fate/Zero, Twelve Kingdoms, and Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt would like a word with you.

That's why I put it up "with" the worst. I didn't say it was the worst. Looking at the post, I sure worded it like I meant that, though. Then again, I sort of believe it because it hurts more. You have to sit through +440 episodes, and then you get THAT ending. :ugh:
Yesterday was the birthday of school pal and I met the chick of my sigh (I've talked about here before, the she-wolf I use to be inlove with)... Maaan she was using a mini-skirt too damn insane... Dude you could saw her entire soul every time she sit...

Xeogred
Thunderbolt from Hell

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:30 am 

TheOldOne wrote:
Finished DBZ a couple days ago... damn, that took awhile. The scope of the whole thing was insane, the way the families grew and the cast aged was done pretty well IMO and I found the ending satisfactory, though Boo's reincarnation as what appeared to be a little Ethiopian was kinda... weird I thought. A good watch altogether, thanks again Xeo for convincing me to watch both shows in original audio.

I also watched Yu Yu Hakusho around the same time, pretty good show overall though the fights started to look like low-level DBZ fights starting around the end of the Chapter Black saga, and that last saga (Three kings or something) felt incredibly rushed to say the least.

Moving along, I've finally started on LOTGH, watched "My Conquest Is The Sea Of Stars" and "Overture To A New War" over the last couple days and I'm hoping to move on to the main series tonight. I loved the movies so I expect I'll really like the rest.

Well hot damn, if you already liked the movies you're in for a ride... LOGH is a gradual thing that only gets better by the episode. I was hooked instantly, though it seems to take awhile for some people. But yeah, get ready for the Sci-Fi History Channel, haha. Nothing else like it at all, so damn good.

Well I'd say Dougram is the best comparison I can make if you want to check that one out sometime, comes from Ryosuke Takahashi... creator/director of Votoms, Layzner, Galient, etc. His 80's stuff is the best and more serious/mature than Tomino's Gundam stuff, etc, in my opinion.

Glad you really enjoyed DB/Z! I'm a big fan of One Piece myself and it's always fun debating about the two with some of my friends... One Piece is a lot more emotional with far better storytelling, but yeah. I think it's definitely the "scope" of DB/Z that makes it win me over all other shounens. It's just so freaking huge how much ground it covers with all the time leaps, which are hugely spread out so it's just insanely vast. That and the show is so heavily focused on the characters that blow everything away, topped off with the most iconic approach to villains you'll ever see compared to most shows. By far one of my favorite elements of the series. The main villains aren't some finale cannon fodder after going through a bunch of other stuff to get to them... THEY themselves are beating the shit out of everyone, on foot, and kicking ass, and they have so much screen time. AND I love how the big villains are just straight up fucking evil. Nowadays and even back in the 90's it seems like in general most shounens would rather go for some dualist approach, or give you backstories on why "x dude" is bad now or something. That's fine and dandy, but ... I love how Freeza is just blowing up planets for fun and doesn't care at all, Cell's goal is amuse himself and become the strongest (love the DNA parallel to Goku's personality there), and Buu is just toying with the universe and has to be stopped. The end! They're evil as hell and epicly badass.

Toriko to me seems to have the same super focused, really powerful, iconic character approach like HnK and DB/Z, so I hope it lives up to the potential it's shown. 70 some episodes in and it's been a ton of random mini-arcs and silliness, but there is a lot of potential for some good stuff here and the villains seem to be straight up evil. Hopefully it delivers.

As for endings... I think people get way too damn hung up on endings apparently HAVING to make or break the entire thing. The whole journey rides on a single moment? I dunno. Just because DB/Z's two endings weren't that great doesn't make the previous 400+ episodes suck (also a chunk of the ending was bullshit filler Toriyama came up with to set Toei up for GT). Can say the same for plenty of other shows. And people have to remember a ton of anime stems from manga where the entire story is told. Stuff like Berserk, Trigun, etc, is really lackluster, but doesn't bring it down for me... since these adaptations and the likes are just appetizers for the main course. You want the real story, you have to read it. And I'm barely a reader, but I can still acknowledge this. Not to point any fingers here, but just funny to see this brought up here when I was just arguing about this with a friend, and it seems to be a trend with a lot of anime viewers. I'll take incomplete/underwhelming over original endings like Claymore ... or Kenshin, that completely fuck up all the canon material. Now that shit boils my piss.

Marag
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:23 am 

Zelkiiro wrote:
Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt

Fuck Gainax

Zelkiiro

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:35 am 

Marag wrote:
Zelkiiro wrote:
Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt

Fuck Gainax

To be continued in Season 2!!

lol what season 2?

metaldiscussor666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:58 pm 

I kind of think of Anime as a quirky, slightly nerdy cult following. Similar to My little pony - friendship is magic (of which i'm more of a concrete fan of). I could never understand why people like anime so much. I find the Anime I have seen (a relatively extensive list of completed series) to be generally rather easily digestible with stylish artwork decent story, if not hard to follow story wise. I can't say I've watched enough Anime that i'm "sold" on being an anime fan. Different people like things more than others I suppose.

I recently tried getting into Blood + and dropped it after episode 3 or 4. Weak characters, kind of bland artwork. Just not really as intense as I would hope.

Before I tried the blood + series, I tried getting into clannad, I couldn't stand the characters. I hate how there was kind of a sub plot going on with that girl who had the robot teddy bear or something. We only see her for like a few minutes per episode and then it's back to the fu­cking annoying characters with polarized characterizations. Either a female is really meek, pathetic and naive, or she's an overly assertive bitch. I find the pathetic females in clannad to be fucking vomit.

Anime I have watched in the past - genocyber movie series. I just love the artwork. It doesn't even matter that the plot is rather incohesive. - Neon Genesis Evangelion (wow... this was a good anime) - K-On (music was vomit, watching the characters do all the random things was mildly - mildly entertaining, if not boring) - melancholy of haruhi suzumiya; all I have to say is fuck season 2 with that 6 episode span of repeating horse shit (people who have watched the show KNOW what i'm talking about) - Elfen Lied (watched this a couple years ago and I face palmed through half of it out of embarrassment) - Death Note (hard to follow when I watched it and didn't complete season 2) - Welcome to the NHK (decent) - Black Lagoon (better than decent) - Highschool of the dead was decent (fan service was mildly amusing for being perverted, NSFW and constant lewd shots of the characters) - tried getting into ghost in the shell (I stopped caring and dropped it after episode 18)

VoidApostle
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:26 pm 

Finally! Someone else who doesn't like Clannad. I was begining to think I was the only one. I forced myself to watch it because everyone is always raving about how brilliant and heart touching it is, but I just found it to be mind numbingly boring.

Zelkiiro

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:32 pm 

VoidApostle wrote:
Finally! Someone else who doesn't like Clannad. I was begining to think I was the only one. I forced myself to watch it because everyone is always raving about how brilliant and heart touching it is, but I just found it to be mind numbingly boring.

When people sing praises about CLANNAD, it's because of the second half of ~After Story~. I kinda liked the series up until then, but those last episodes changed everything.

Also, how did you not like Akio?! He's one of my favorite anime characters of all time now!

Young_Metalhead
Saanut kerran. Todistetusti.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:26 pm 

metaldiscussor666 wrote:
K-On (music was vomit, watching the characters do all the random things was mildly - mildly entertaining, if not boring).

Fuck you man. K-on is flawless, or at least better than stupid ponys... No, wait. K-on IS flawless. :lol:

Zelkiiro

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:36 pm 

Young_Metalhead wrote:
metaldiscussor666 wrote:
K-On (music was vomit, watching the characters do all the random things was mildly - mildly entertaining, if not boring).

Fuck you man. K-on is flawless, or at least better than stupid ponys... No, wait. K-on IS flawless. :lol:

K-On! is dreadful.

VoidApostle
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:53 pm 

Zelkiiro wrote:
When people sing praises about CLANNAD, it's because of the second half of ~After Story~. I kinda liked the series up until then, but those last episodes changed everything.

Also, how did you not like Akio?! He's one of my favorite anime characters of all time now!

Really? Maybe I shouldn't have dropped After Story after 2 episodes...

As for K-ON!... *ahem* Praise be to Azu-nyan! That is all.

Suffersystem
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:57 pm 

K-ON! IS PERFECT

sortalikeadream
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:19 pm 

Can someone PM me the best place to get hard-engsubbed anime torrents? (as in, I don't need a subtitle file in addition to the video file)

Byrain
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:25 pm 

metaldiscussor666 wrote:
I kind of think of Anime as a quirky, slightly nerdy cult following. Similar to My little pony - friendship is magic (of which i'm more of a concrete fan of). I could never understand why people like anime so much.

Go read Berserk, then Gunnm, followed by Takemitsu Zamurai. Then, please never make that comparison again. :)

metaldiscussor666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:32 pm 

Byrain wrote:
metaldiscussor666 wrote:
I kind of think of Anime as a quirky, slightly nerdy cult following. Similar to My little pony - friendship is magic (of which i'm more of a concrete fan of). I could never understand why people like anime so much.

Go read Berserk, then Gunnm, followed by Takemitsu Zamurai. Then, please never make that comparison again. :)

I'm sorry if you think it's wrong to compare my little pony to anime. Contrary to your statement, at the my little pony convention I attended, I found there was a correlation with Anime. They were selling K-ON my little pony shirts where they were selling the official convention shirt. I'm not saying the similarity is direct. It's clear to me that the kind of crowd that anime attracts is similar in nature to the my little pony crowd.

Marag
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:45 pm 

anime is much broader than that, saying that "anime is like mlp" shows that you don't know what you are talking about

metaldiscussor666
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:47 pm 

Marag wrote:
anime is much broader than that, saying that "anime is like mlp" shows that you don't know what you are talking about

Sorry, man. I guess by your standards, I don't know much. I hoped you would perhaps kind of understand the comparison I was trying to make.
I agree with you, Anime is much broader than MLP. But they're both cartoons and they both have somewhat of a cult following. That's all I was trying to say. No need to get harsh.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 ... 61  Next