Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
~Guest 300273
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:48 am 

Hey everyone, new to this website and a little new to metal as well. Still doing my research on bands and genres (so far its been mainly thrash and death metal). Bounced around the thrash genre very lightly over the last couple of years, only listening to Metallica, Megadeth and Anthrax. Never really getting into metal as a whole as i listened to a lot of different music types. I didn't fall in love with metal until i was deployed to Afghanistan last summer. Started off with metalcore(sad but thats how a lot of people get into real metal these days) then i found out what metalcore really was and started exploring the vast seas of true metal. I'm always excited and happy to learn about metal as i listen to it every single fucking day now and enjoy every minute of it. Currently in 29 Palms Cali so not a whole lot to do.Hoping to learn a lot from everyone on this forum!

FrizzySkernip
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:57 pm 

Not all metalcore is shit m'boy. If you're getting into thrash check out Vektor and Municipal Waste.

~Guest 300273
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:01 pm 

FrizzySkernip wrote:
Not all metalcore is shit m'boy. If you're getting into thrash check out Vektor and Municipal Waste.

Municipal Waste is pretty good, ill check out Vektor. Yeah, not all of it is, I like As I Lay Dying, they're pretty sick. Just lot of the bands didn't really hit me the right way.

SVaargsethR
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:28 pm 

Hi guys! I've been around for a couple of years but I just read some stuff... now, cause I'm bored, I must introduce myself.

My name is Sérgio, I'm 22 years old and I'm originally from Orléans (France) but I now live in Lisbon (Portugal). I started listening to this kind of music when a friend of mine introduced me to Neurosis, and they still are my fav band. I like most genres (from prog to sludge to black to drone to hardcore) but I certainly dislike symphonic metal.
Here's a list of my fav bands and musicians (not just metal) (I leave Neurosis out of it):

THOU, Pink Floyd, Tom Waits, Dream Theater, Nine Inch Nails, Darkspace, Porcupine Tree, Tool, Amenra, Rufus Wainwright, Mayhem, Burzum, Anathema, Process of Guilt, Corpus Christii, Opeth, Blut Aus Nord, Deathspell Omega, Celeste, Ulver, Isis, Fall of Efrafa, Khanate, Sunn O))), Earth, THISQUIETARMY, Mitochondrion, Alcest, Shining, Doom, Jesu, Emperor, Watain, Gojira, Sonne Adam, Necros Christos, Apati, Silencer, Morowe, Triptykon, Swans, Furia, Zyklon, HELL (US Drone/Doom band), Heresiarch, Amebix, Death, Godflesh, Altar of Plagues, Bacchus, Admiral Angry, A Storm of Light, Battle of Mice, Morte Incandescente, Irae, Atentado, Besta, Peste Noire, Old Man Gloom, Les Discrets, Abaton, Cult of Luna, Rorcal, The Ruts, Miles Davis, Dark Tribe, Obscure Sphinx, Leviathan, Hypothermia... etc... etc... etc...

analog_winter
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:53 am 

Welcome to the Archives! I like your taste in music, Thou, Pink Floyd, Hell, Fall of Efrafa, Amebix, Altar of Plagues, and Emperor are some of my favorites as well.

Please don't bring feels to Metal Archives. I'm content with nihilism.

Empyreal
The Final Frontier

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:34 am 

Anyone who likes Neurosis can't be all bad. Welcome.

PhilosophicalFrog
The Hypercube

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:38 am 

RUFUS WAINWRIGHT. YES. WELCOME.

Also, Unded, you should totally check out Modern Life is War more post-hardcore, but I think you'll like the shit out of them.

Spoiler: show
║\
║▒\
║▒▒\
║░▒║
║░▒║with this blade
║░▒║i cut those who
║░▒║disrespect
║░▒║Carly Rae Jepsen
║░▒║
║░▒║
║░▒║
▓▓▓▓
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]
[█▓]

Sick6Six
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:14 pm 

Hails! I've been using the archives for many years. I'm a Black Metal elitist. I have wanted to review many underrated/unknown bands/albums over the years, but never actually have. I will stick with forums for now. Anyway, HI

BoxCar Willy
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:50 pm 

Hey-o, I'm a regular user over at metalstorm.net with over 5000 posts there, thought I'd finally make an account here. Anywho, I'm a huge fan of Woods Of Ypres, Deafheaven, Despised Icon and Hypothermia. I'm 16, and a multi-instrumentalist. I ride and Race dirtbieks in Minnesota.

I also really like cats. A lot.

oogboog
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:52 pm 

BoxCar Willy wrote:
I also really like cats. A lot.

Then you've just become an enemy of the Frog. But don't worry. Everyone is friendly here, so I can be sure that your ride here in MA is very safe.

Napero
GedankenPanzer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:02 pm 

For historical reasons, we need someone with "Bock's Car" in the username.

Welcome, new people. I'm Napero, your tour guide, and I hope I'll learn to like each one of you as much as you deserve.

LordStenhammar
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:28 am 

Hello. I'm Ari from Finland. Been here for some time now, so I thought I'd introduce myself. I'm mainly into traditional Doom Metal, NWoBHM, USPM and 70's Heavy Rock but I like some Black Metal too. Never been so much into Death Metal, though Autopsy and Hellhammer belong to my favourite bands.

My other hobbies include writing, playing different instruments and jogging, though my jogging hobby doesn't go that well with my drinking hobby. :D Yes, I'm some kind of an alcoholic too. Wish I had more spine.

On a sidenote I've been diagnosed with indeterminate schitzophrenia. I've been suffering from it since 2007. I know I never get rid of the disease, but as long as I can find something to joy from each day, I know I'm on the winning side.

Noreen
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 3:30 pm 

Hello!

I'm Nora and I love cats. Yes, I must say this at the beginning :D
My favorite genres are Black, Folk and Post Metal. I play the guitar (veeery bad), hurdy-gurdy (this nice instrument), transverse flute, tin whistle and ocarina. And besides cats I love literature, especially german literature and fantasy.

Oh, and yea, I like learning, seriously.

Gofuckshit
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:23 am 

Hello I am Gofuckshit, I like to play guitar and bass and meditate
I make hellish noise under the name Severed End, if you want to check it out you are free to do so here https://soundcloud.com/#severed-end/

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:07 pm 

Noreen wrote:
Hello!

I'm Nora and I love cats. Yes, I must say this at the beginning :D
My favorite genres are Black, Folk and Post Metal. I play the guitar (veeery bad), hurdy-gurdy (this nice instrument), transverse flute, tin whistle and ocarina. And besides cats I love literature, especially german literature and fantasy.

Oh, and yea, I like learning, seriously.

Welcome! Post your cats here: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=92937&p=2181443#p2181443

It's for the greater good of the admins. Thank you for your comprehension!

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

SolracV
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:03 am 

My Joined Date says 2008, but it is now that I'm starting to post. So I guess I'm a newbie :P

So, my name is Carlos. I reside in Puerto Rico, and I love Metal! Well, I love music in general, but Metal will always be dear and special to me. I tend to change tastes constantly, but my top 2 sub-genres will always be Progressive Metal and Doom Metal.

Some of my favorite bands:
-Dream Theater -Cynic -Periphery -Alcest -Evergrey -While Heaven Wept -Alcest -Heretoir -Riverside -Black Sabbath -Warning -Swallow The Sun -Andromeda -Baroness -Mastodon

Other genres I like include Rock, Jazz, Salsa, Reggae, New Wave, Ambient, Techno (Kraftwerk, Justice, Jean Michel Jarre, etc), and bunch of more shit!

I am also a drummer. Currently in a band called Back Seat Driver, a Progressive Metalcore/Metal band, finishing the last songs for our first album :D Here's a link for one of our songs:
http://bsdpr.bandcamp.com/album/the-han ... red-single

Einzige
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:09 am 

Hey. Name's Benjamin, a resident of Illinois and a long-time reader (but first-time poster) on the Encyclopaedia. I'm a fan of philosophy, surrealism in art and literature, noir and horror films, and, of course, heavy metal.

On the whole, I favor the darker aspects of traditional metal (Cirith Ungol being an example of the darker sound I gravitate towards in that sub-genre). I also have a liking for the less frilly side of gothic metal. I don't mind female fronted bands, but I strongly prefer acts like Flowing Tears or The Third and the Mortal to the more symphonic, popular sound of Lacuna Coil or Nightwish. I'm not a huge fan of the more extreme sub-genres, but I quite dig some of the more atonal, 'artistic' black metal that exists, and melodic death metal sets pretty well with me when it's executed properly.

If you want to know anything more, just ask.

Vikare
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:51 pm 

Joe here. I'm a 19 year old metal fan from the UK. That's right, I've been dangling on the ceiling providing people with cool air for almost two decades!

Just like the others here, I've been browsing the Encyclopedia for years. Due to a crippling lack of confidence in all spheres of human activity, it has taken me a while to actually begin posting, so here goes nothing!

My music taste gravitates towards the niches within the old-school metal realm, extending but not limited to heavy/NWOBHM, death, black, doom (more trad than anything, ala Pentagram), funeral, crust/grind-influenced and more. I think you get the picture. I'm here to engage in civil debate and to explore the music I am most passionate about; the music which rests at the core of my identity. You know, because that's why we're all here, right?

PM me with threads relevant to anything I've mentioned above, as it would be much appreciated!

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:14 am 

Welcome, Joe/Vikare. Despite having a "crippling lack of confidence", your first post was a pretty good one, so don't worry about that. :) Welcome to the forum.

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

AnimalNightspirit
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:54 am 

Hey. I’m Joe, and from New Yawk (hohoho). I have been singing and playing guitar since my teenage years. I always have loved metal, ever since I have been a kid. My first metal show was Arch Enemy and Evergrey when they released their albums “Wages of Sin” and “Recreation Day.” That show did something to me, and I knew that metal would be a big part of my life, thereafter. I am a big fan of Evergrey, Iced Earth, Nightwish, Darkseed, Soilwork, Trans-Siberian Orchestra, Type O Negative, and Hypocrisy. My favorite metal genres are Power, Melodic and of course, classic.

I am on here to get to know people around me, and of course the rest of the world. I also would like to be exposed to new music, as well as to share it.

Shoot me a message. I am pretty talkative.

PeaceSells66
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:05 pm 

Whats good metalheads? Im from the shithole town, Rockford, IL. Metal is my life and my favorite bands are Megadeth and Dying Fetus.
Im also an alcoholic.

Stromness7
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:03 pm 

I have no idea how, when editing a submission, how to delete things. I first started out with one album and it fucked up. There were many copies of it, so I had to restart the whole submission. How do I delete albums and songs? Is the answer really plain and simple, or can I not delete things?

Koji_Sunioj
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 2:17 am 

I'm not new per se, but the email connected to my last account was hacked. It was previously under Sunioj. Anyways, just here to kill time. I live in West Lafayette, IN.

rateat
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:09 pm 

Hi! I'm Felix, 21yo from Venezuela, I've been playing guitar for 5 years, my biggest inspiration is Steve Vai..I listen to a lot of shit like ambient, psychedelic rock, electronic, hiphop, rnb, indie but i've been a metalhead since i was 13 so, 70% metal 30% other shit..first heavy metal album i've ever heard: Number of the Beast..my favorite genre: death and thrash metal \m/ cheers!

AstrumLuciferi
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 5:36 pm 

Hello everyone!
I'm from Switzerland, 16 years old, and I'm mostly digging atmospheric/ambient metal bands, espetially from ambient, atmospheric and 'post' black metal, and sure, all variations of funeral doom and old-school doom/sludge metal. Within the metal genre, I also like some symphonic, avant-garde, jazz-metal bands that create great atmospheres. But I'm also into all types of ambient (but especially drone, space and 'naturalistic'), classical music (great lover of baroque music, and some contemporary ambient/minimalistic classical), post-rock (ambient/neo-classical), jazz (ambient, experimental), some neofolk, progressive rock/metal, ethereal, and psychill...
Some of my favourite bands are (I maybe have memory troubles...): Agalloch, Skagos, Alda, Empyrium, Orplid, Esoteric, Evoken, Skepticism, Disembowelment, Paysage D'Hiver, Darkspace, Sun of the Blind, Altar of Plagues, Lykathea Aflame, Aluk Todolo, Oranssi Pazuzu, Mirrorthrone, Limbonic Art, Carach Angren, Ulver,...
I'm a great fan of litterature, philosophy (follower of Spinoza's spiritualism), painting/drawing (abstract, surrealistic,..), nature, and I'm spiritually bound to my music.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 8:04 pm 

Stromness7 wrote:
I have no idea how, when editing a submission, how to delete things. I first started out with one album and it fucked up. There were many copies of it, so I had to restart the whole submission. How do I delete albums and songs? Is the answer really plain and simple, or can I not delete things?

You can no longer edit your draft after you have submitted it to the band queue. You can only report mistakes.

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:27 am 

AstrumLuciferi wrote:
philosophy (follower of Spinoza's spiritualism)

Only 16 and already digging into Spinoza? I detect a prominent future for this one. :)
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

KingAlastor
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:05 pm 

Hi, 24 year old metalhead from Illinois here. I've been into metal since I was 13 years old, and I like most subgenres but my favorites are thrash, death, and black metal. Some of my favorite bands include Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, Kreator, Slayer, Suffocation, Decapitated, Behemoth, Testament, Amon Amarth, Emperor, Burzum, and Black Sabbath. I've never been to a live show, sadly. Well, not a live metal show.

As far as non-metal stuff goes, I'm Agnostic, I prefer to stay out of politics but I'm generally on the left, and I'm gay (but not obnoxious about it - I hope). I love mythology, fantasy novels, and video games, mostly action games and RPGs.

That's about all that's worth mentioning. Hope I enjoy it here. :)

Weles
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:33 am 

Hey everyone!
I'm Patryk from Poland, metal maniac since I finished junior high school. My favourite subgenres are thrash(old school), power and death metal. I love many bands, especially Slayer ,Dark Angel, Heathen, Sodom, Kat, Sepultura and Cannibal Corpse.
I live in Podlaskie province. There is good death and black metal scene exactly Effect Murder. Unfortunately, Podlaskie is capital of polish disco too.

My hobbies include history of World War II, politics and literature.

Noreen
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:57 am 

AstrumLuciferi wrote:
Hello everyone!
[...] Switzerland [...]

Jeh, e Landsma :D

(Nothing interesting

MetlaNZ
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:44 pm 

Hi everyone! I've been using this site for a few years now and have finally decided to join up! I'm 38 years old and live in New Zealand. I first got into metal when I was about ten years old, that was Twisted Sister and their videos for "I Wanna Rock" and "We're Not Gonna Take It", I'm still a fan. The first tape I ever bought was when I was 12 years old, Iron Maiden "Powerslave", I played it till I knew it off by heart and it's still one of my favorite albums. My first gig was Sepultura in 1992 when I was 18 years old, they kicked ass, I've been to as many gigs as I can since then. I read Hot Metal back then, a magazine from Aussie which was a good mag until the Seattle grunge boom fucked things up, but I then started to read Terrorizer mag from issue one until a few years ago, I've mainly used this site since then. My favorite sub-genres are true/trad, thrash, doom and death. My favorite bands include Manilla Road, Cirith Ungol, Mercyful Fate, Slough Feg, Doomsword, The Gates Of Slumber, Castle, Dark Angel, Exodus, Celtic Frost, Bathory, Toxic Holocaust, Municipal Waste, Criminal, Nevermore, Candlemass, Pentagram, Solitude Aeturnus, Solstice (UK), Cathedral, Reverend Bizarre, Wino, High On Fire, Death, Carcass, Deceased, Autopsy, Coffins, Morbus Chron, Horrendous, Dissection, Rotting Christ and Waitan, to name just a few.
I must say thank you to dismember_marcin for putting me onto so many great new death metal bands and all the death metal reissues that have been coming out lately.
Anyway, I love this site and it's good to be a part of it.

The Nightmare Rider
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 6:52 pm 

Greetings everyone! I've hung around this site for a while now so I may as well join in with the forums! I am The Nightmare Rider, AKA Phil (another one :P). My usernamesake is a reference to Kamen Rider Kiva, which has a vampire motif in it's design. I am a big lover of Fantasy Fiction, Anime and Tokusatsu.

You may be able to figure out from those likings that I am a BIG fan of Power Metal. Anything cheesy, epic and otherwise something guaranteed to put a wide grin on my face or make me laugh at how ridiculous the whole thing is. I was introduced to Metal through the big NOWBHM and 80s Hair Metal bands, as well as numerous 80s Rock bands, which still influence my taste today. I generally keep an open mind when it comes to metal, or any of genre of music really. I am also a big fan of Folk and Melodic Death metal, but not much into Brutal Death or Black Metal (with exceptions).

I am terrible at making decisions or ranking things, but here are roughly 11 of my favourite metal bands to get an idea of the stuff I like;

1: Iron Maiden
2: Rhapsody of Fire
3: Alestorm
4: Dragonforce (see the big about being so ridiculously cheesy that it makes me laugh.)
5: Symphony X
6: Ensiferum
7: Sabaton
8: Blind Guardian
9: Amon Amarth
10: Arch Enemy
11: Steel Panther

I look forward to talking with more metal fans and also finding some new stuff :3.

GangmanStyle
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:27 pm 

Hi. I'm GangmanStyle. (or GangnamStyle, whichever you prefer) :hyper:

I signed up here a month ago, but I only just discovered this thread, so I thought I might introduce myself.

I'm not much of a metalhead, even though I have got a couple of metal CDs (Iron Maiden, Visions of Atlantis, Van Canto and Alestorm) so I possibly won't contribute very much, but I'll try if I can.

OpsiusCato
Mexican Metal Inquisition

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:58 pm 

I bet you'll regret that username in a few months. Or weeks.
Opsius is Metal as fuck.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:10 pm 

He should regret it right now!

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

GangmanStyle
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:48 am 

OpsiusCato wrote:
I bet you'll regret that username in a few months. Or weeks.

Metantoine wrote:
He should regret it right now!

Why do you think I'm going to regret that username? Actually, I think I may already know why, but still.
I'm not regretting it just yet.

LanceCriminal
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:05 am 

I'm LanceCriminal, age 21 originally from central NC. I've always found myself hitting up the archives over the last few years for information and stuff so I figured why not? I found my gateway into metal probably sometime around the 4th grade...I sorta kinda grew up around punk rock so it wasn't a stretch to find my way into Ozzy, Maiden, Metallica etc. and stuff like Slipknot, Rammstein and BLS that was still super cool when I was a teen.
Nowadays I'm a picky listener but I branch off into a lot of sub-genres like folk, power, black, doom, what have you...Some of my favorites: Akercocke, Amon Amarth, Iced Earth, Alestorm, Wyrd, Burzum, Wintersun, Tyr, Acid Bath, Dethklok. FWIW I listen to other stuff like classical, goth, all sorts of punk, Martial Industrial, Folk (Death in June, etc.) and Dark Ambient.

I lead a pretty sketchy and interesting life so far...currently serving as an 0311 Rifleman in a BN out of Hawaii. My interests include history, guns, strength training, reading, hunting, tattoos, survivalism and enjoying the wilderness, seeing how much alcohol I can drink without dying and counting down days for my contract to be over.

Look forward to participating here...

Khayyal
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:27 pm 

Hey I'm Mike, 22 from Arkansas. I've been listening to metal for about 7 years now. I like just about every sub genre but mostly death, black and power right now. Some of my favorite bands are: Amon Amarth, Dissection, Carach Angren, Agalloch, Blind Guardian, Iced Earth, Manowar, Death, Immolation, Judas Priest, Manowar and Children of Bodom.

I'm a multi-medium artist doing everything from designing tattoos and band logos to blacksmithing and leather work. I'm also a firearms enthusiast. Well that's all for now.

MetalMaidenMal
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:33 am 

The name's Mal. I'm 21 and live in Washington state. I discovered metal when I was 15 or so. It started when I fell in love with Iron Maiden. Maiden and Megadeth are probably my absolute favorites, if forced to pick. I love the classics like Sabbath and Priest, and I'm into thrash. I'm trying to get into power metal more, for my nerdy boyfriend's sake. When I dip into death metal, I usually prefer melodic, like Amon Amarth and In Flames, though I've spent some time having my brain pummeled by Meshuggah.
I listen to the not-quite-metal staples, like Zeppelin and AC/DC. I love Rush. Alice Cooper puts on the best stage show I've ever seen.
I'm guilty of getting a guitar, playing it for a while, then letting it gather dust until all I remember is the intro to Stairway to Heaven. I've just started playing again and I'm loving it. Maybe I'll stick with it this time.
I read a lot of horror novels and waste a lot of time playing video games. I listen to Slayer when I need cheering up. I hate it when bands don't have shirts in women's sizes (or worse, they make one shirt just for women and it's white or pink). I'm a metalhead, so I guess we've got something in common. I would love some recommendations.

Calamity_Cometh
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:44 pm 

Hello. My name is Aharon and I am a 22-year-old student in Minnesota. I have been a devoted lurker of this site for about 7 years. I owe many of you gratitude for expanding my library and challenging my tastes. I likely won't post often because you all humble me and I do not have the knowledge of metal as a whole to offer anything substantial, but I wanted to post this anyways. Thank you, founders, veterans, and devotees of this site - there are many silent lurkers here whom appreciate your words.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 119, 120, 121, 122, 123, 124, 125 ... 156  Next