Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Up From The Catacombs
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 8:42 am 

I'm Pete, new to this site but no stranger to metal.

Last edited by Up From The Catacombs on Thu Sep 01, 2016 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 8:04 pm 

Sup Pete! If you have any questions, feel free to ask or PM me. Also, If you're looking to discover new stuff, use the help threads in the Recommendation Central. Enjoy your stay.

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

jdagger
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 9:08 am 

Hi I'm Andrew, I've been on the forums but just as a casual reader but I've been finding myself coming back more and more.

I've been listen to metal for almost 30 years (I'm 39). I enjoy various forms of metal (mostly death, melodic death, prog, folk, black, thrash). I still enjoy going to shows and always looking to listen to something new.

MikeyC
Official Greeter of Broken Hills

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 11:40 pm 

Hi Andrew. Welcome to the dungeons. :)

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

bludpuddn
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 6:21 pm 

Hello my name is Jason. Been listening to metal since age 12 and I still enjoy it

SatanicSponge
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 9:18 am 

Hello!
My name is Nick and I'm just some 17 year old metalhead from the states. I've been looking through these archives for a while now, but only just recently decided to create a profile for myself.
Hoping to extend my metal interests while I'm here, there are a ton fo bands I want to get into but I goand look at all their albums on the archives and I ahve no idea where to start. Hopefully the forum will help me out with that.
That's really all I have to say, hope to see some of you around, bye!

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 9:47 am 

Welcome, guys!
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

thrashbandicoot01
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:18 am 

Hey, I'm Owen. I'm 16 and currently I reside near Daytona Beach, FL. I actually created this account back in 2014, but recently I decided to be more active with it. Currently, I'm just trying to get through high school and hopefully I can start my own band soon. I've been listening to metal since I was a kid when my parents would play the likes of Judas Priest and Iron Maiden (saw Maiden live, BTW. It was great!). Once I discovered thrash, there was no looking back.

OneSizeFitzpatrick
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 1:13 pm 

thrashbandicoot01 wrote:
Hey, I'm Owen. I'm 16 and currently I reside near Daytona Beach, FL. I actually created this account back in 2014, but recently I decided to be more active with it. Currently, I'm just trying to get through high school and hopefully I can start my own band soon. I've been listening to metal since I was a kid when my parents would play the likes of Judas Priest and Iron Maiden (saw Maiden live, BTW. It was great!). Once I discovered thrash, there was no looking back.

Congratulations on having the coolest username on here.

damienex
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 1:57 pm 

Hello Metal Archives! My name is not important, but you can refer to me as Damien if you so choose. I am a long time user of the website and figured why not sign up for the forums. I have ventured here from Ultimate-Guitar as the forums over there are mostly devoid of any musical discussion and I long for conversation about many topics in metal with others who share a passion for the genre.

A little about me. I am a professional chemist out of Virginia and I have played guitar for over 14 years. Originally my musical interests were limited by what was on the radio and popular with everyone. I had no real preference or passion for anything I listed to. Then in 2001 I came across Blink 182 and Greenday and following that I wanted to learn to play guitar. I started to listen to a lot of pop-punk and came across the "The Warped Tour" compilation albums to try to get into more punk music. On the 2002 album I came across a band called "From Autumn to Ashes" and their song "Capeside Rock." It was like nothing I had heard of before. Next thing I know I am trying to find anything I can that sounds like that band. I entered the world of metalcore during the early 2000's and from there quickly discovered bands like "Soilwork" and "In Flames." I didn't know it at the time but my love for death metal was sparked in those early days of discovering metal.

Now my metal interests come in many different forms: Melodic Death Metal, Death Metal, Tech Death, Deathcore, Metalcore, Symphonic Metal, Folkmetal, Blackend Death Metal, Metallic Hardcore, Heavy Metal, Power Metal, and many other variations on the sub-genres listed here.

After reading all the rules here I was a little intimidated into posting anything but as I kept reading I see that the forum just has high standards and most people are welcomed here as long as the rules are followed. I look forward to many discussions on epic bands and getting to hear some new stuff that I haven't come across yet.

Immerse
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 11:44 am 

Hey,myname is Immerse and i am from Greece.I am the Lead guitar and backing vocals for Grönder.

MikeyC

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 5:15 am 

Welcome, new people. :) Damienex, I like your list of genres there. You're into a little bit of everything, and I like that. :)

ZarathustraHead wrote:
You can find me listening to the good, real shit. The real good shit. I'll be here.

Fromage_Qui_Pue
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 6:41 pm 

Hi here, i'm Marine, 23, from France.
I am much known as trader since some years here, but i'm also interested to speak about music, more precisely Death, Thrash, Doom and a little Black who are my favorites :) see you soon

micky36
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 12:20 pm 

Wow, 6! I was still learning not to poo my undies. Nice work. Welcome to the forum, LadyNyx.
pussy888

Last edited by micky36 on Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
Lich Coldheart
Stares into the Void

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 4:50 pm 

micky36 wrote:
Wow, 6! I was still learning not to poo my undies. Nice work. Welcome to the forum, LadyNyx.

Isn't this an exact copy of MikeyC's post? :scratch:
I like keeping my sword wet, like a young girl in her prime.

MikeyC

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 8:59 pm 

Lich Coldheart wrote:
micky36 wrote:

Isn't this an exact copy of MikeyC's post? :scratch:

:lol: I didn't even notice that. What gives?

ZarathustraHead wrote:

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 3:26 am 

Heh, good eye. micky36, are you a spambot? If so, you're a very bad one.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

~Guest 375103
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 5:31 pm 

Hi everyone, my name is Matt. I mostly listen to Metal, Hard Rock and Blues.

Aristo
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:58 am 

I've had an account here since February 2014 and only just started to check out the forums. I'm Charlie; my birthday was yesterday. I've been listening to metal since I was 13, give or take. Over the past 10 years my tastes have changed dramatically.
Whereas I cut my teeth on silly stuff like Slipknot, It didn't take long for me to step away from the middle school-pervasive Hot Topic influences and explore classic heavy metal bands. I did have a period of fascination with metalcore that embarrasses me to this day, but thankfully it was short-lived.
When I wrapped up high school, I was exploring NWOBHM and listening to oldies like Maiden and Priest. Then folk/viking and power metal went hand-in-hand through college. I also began to listen to the founding fathers of black metal, and couldn't decide whether I loved or hated it. Something clicked though, because nowadays all I listen to is black and sludge, with some ambient flavor here and there.

I like to think I've been around the block once or twice. I've definitely had my fill of "new listener essentials" threads, and spend my time going after underground tapes. I'm an odd duck in my friend circle, because my area doesn't have much in the way of a metal fanbase. So I can't say I've actually gone out to shows, nor do I own much in the way of merchandise aside from my cassettes and the occasional button/patch. I definitely don't "look" like a metal listener, but that's fine, because the hobby feels very personal this way.

Akkaerus
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 9:06 am 

I recently made an account. My name is Alex and I'm still fairly new to the scene. I'm more into Black Metal than other genres, but I would rather say my taste is very eclectic. I'm very open to suggestions and whatnot.

Talented Juli
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 5:55 pm 

Hello my name is Juli, I come in search of Death Metal suggestions.

Morrigan
Crone of War

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 10:29 pm 

Ohai :P

Markeri, in 2013 wrote:
a fairly agreed upon date [of the beginning of metal] is 1969. Metal is almost 25 years old

NaCl
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 3:35 pm 

Greetings!! My name is Juho.

Just registered. I'm on a quest to listen to a lot of music. I've sung 9 years in choir (still do) and started playing the piano about half a year ago. Since then, I've wanted to know more and more music. Now I've taken an interest in metal.

Current genres I enjoy: Power Metal; Speed Metal; Melodic Metal(/Rock); Weeb music (J-pop, J-rock, J-metal, J-anything really); Classical music (Baroque in specific).

So much to hear, so much to do.

Last edited by NaCl on Wed Jul 06, 2016 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Guest 76452
Metal freak

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 2:19 am 

Welcome aboard! I listen to a fair amount of Japanese music myself. I see your post appeared again (it vanished after I responded to it, so my post looked out of context so I deleted it). Which J-metal/rock bands are you into?

~Guest 389043
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 3:41 am 

I've come over from the inactive Metal Rules forum. 39 years old and from Australia. Like drinking, eating, playing darts, powerlifting and of course, heavy metal. Been into metal since Stay Hungry was released and obviously lean towards death metal.

NaCl
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 5:43 am 

Perdition666 wrote:
Welcome aboard! I listen to a fair amount of Japanese music myself. I see your post appeared again (it vanished after I responded to it, so my post looked out of context so I deleted it). Which J-metal/rock bands are you into?

I'm still fairly new to the scene. I've checked out MinstreliX; Dragon Guardian; Fuki's Light Bringer and Unlucky Morpheus; some small band named Eyes of Fenrir; and Galneryus. I still have to listen a bit more of those before moving on.

More about other J-music -- I'm not gonna try and classify it to genres since Japanese music is so stylistically diverse and flexible -- I enjoy listening to bands like LiSA, Aoi Eir, Kalafina, Shion Miyawaki and Supercell. I also listen to a lot of doujin (indie) artists. Touhou remixes are pretty damn good sometimes!

I've also taken an interest in Finnish bands (I'm Finnish myself) like Stratovarius, Sonata Arctica, Nightwish and Children of Bodom, to name a few. But I still have to listen to them a lot more.

I enjoy being with like-minded people, so it's fun seeing there are other weebs- I mean metalheads who also enjoy the Japanese (music) culture!

P.S.
The reason my post disappeared was because I ended up editing my name in.

*EDIT* Fixed a typo.
*EDIT2* Added a band I forgot to mention.

Last edited by NaCl on Thu Jul 07, 2016 4:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
~Guest 389043
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 9:43 am 

I'd PM a mod but don't seem to have that function so I'll ask here. I posted on the mainboard a number of times this afternoon and the forum told me my post is subject to moderator approval and that accordingly, each post won't be published until it is reviewed. How long do I have to put up with that?

HellBlazer
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 12:47 pm 

Everflowingstream wrote:
I'd PM a mod but don't seem to have that function so I'll ask here. I posted on the mainboard a number of times this afternoon and the forum told me my post is subject to moderator approval and that accordingly, each post won't be published until it is reviewed. How long do I have to put up with that?

2 posts, so not anymore. :P

~Guest 389043
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:02 pm 

HellBlazer wrote:
Everflowingstream wrote:

2 posts, so not anymore. :P

Cheers.

iamntbatman
Chaos Breed

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:14 pm 

Yep, that feature is there mostly to keep out spambots.

GLOAMING - death/doom | COMA VOID - black/doom/post-rock

blackdeathvodka
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 7:08 pm 

Hi, after all those years of visiting EM I finally created an account here, woo. Wondering how many posts it takes to get rid of that mallcore kid under my nickname, looks so lame (nah, actually I find it funny).

I like black metal and rock'n'roll. Guess that's all I have to say as it describes me in the best way possible. Cheers

MikeyC

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 5:50 am 

Everflowingstream wrote:
I've come over from the inactive Metal Rules forum. 39 years old and from Australia. Like drinking, eating, playing darts, powerlifting and of course, heavy metal. Been into metal since Stay Hungry was released and obviously lean towards death metal.

Welcome, fellow Aussie. :)

ZarathustraHead wrote:

Norrmania
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 11:46 am 

blackdeathvodka wrote:
I like black metal and rock'n'roll. Guess that's all I have to say as it describes me in the best way possible. Cheers

Black metal and rock n' roll? Are you sure you didn't mean black metal, death metal, and vodka? :boo:

blackdeathvodka
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 2:13 pm 

Norrmania wrote:
blackdeathvodka wrote:

Black metal and rock n' roll? Are you sure you didn't mean black metal, death metal, and vodka? :boo:

Haha clever one, but I stole the nickname from Icelandic vodka (which is quite amazing by the way, you should check it out) :D

IamDBR
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 3:22 pm 

Hey there.

Horror/Thriller movies
Video games
Hitting the weights
Loneliness :p...not really though

Dislikes:
Getting haircuts/beard shaves
Social media
Soft drinks
Peas in my salad
Going to restaurants...or any place with lots of people

Listening to atm:
Shadow of Intent - Primordial
Vulvodynia - Psychosadistic Design
First Fragment - Dasein

Last edited by IamDBR on Tue Jul 12, 2016 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IamDBR
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 3:25 pm 

Also can anyone suggest me something in the vein of Anaal Nathrakh? Extremely filthy and savage as fuck extreme metal but then all of a sudden those epic cleans break through to release all the tension.

Norrmania
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 11:41 am 

blackdeathvodka wrote:
Norrmania wrote:

Haha clever one, but I stole the nickname from Icelandic vodka (which is quite amazing by the way, you should check it out) :D

Aha, I never heard of that one before. Maybe I'll see if they sell it around here, looked it up and looks like quite cool branding anyway. Are you from Iceland?

IamDBR wrote:
Also can anyone suggest me something in the vein of Anaal Nathrakh? Extremely filthy and savage as fuck extreme metal but then all of a sudden those epic cleans break through to release all the tension.

There's actually a sub-forum for any recommendations you need :) viewforum.php?f=11

Also, welcome!

jcp54
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 3:09 pm 

I used to read the metal-rules forums a long time ago. What happened to that place?

I'm a middle aged corporate drone from upstate new york.

Fave music: Motorhead, Bathory, Immortal, Bach, Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden, Bruce Dickinson, Judas Priest, Candlemass, Rush

WisdomOfTheTrees
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 4:11 pm 

I don't take shit from no one. I'm here to kick ass and chew bubblegum, and I'm all out of gum. I'd consider myself an intellectual, because I like to think and realize when I'm wrong, and open my mind to new facts. That is the mark of a true intellectual, a true thinker. It's true that I spend a lot of time simply contemplating things, whether by choice or by simply by daydreaming. It's true, that sometimes I will find myself unconsciously drifting into new thought. This is especially apparent when I am reading a book, I will all of a sudden find myself thinking about other things, while I am reading the book. Except, when when I find myself engaged in a thought which I came to myself, instead of trying to hold my focus on other things, I find that I'm able to stay with that thought and really explore it's depths. This is another way which I am a more intellectual person than your average person.

One of my weaknesses may be that I don't have all the facts, but this is true of any person, facts are simply tools and they can be false at the same time. So, although I am alert and in tune to the world around me and collecting information, sometimes my facts may be as susceptible to falsehood as anyone's. For this reason, I would say that I am more of a philosopher than maybe a political tactition. Although, I may also say that perhaps some of my intellectual ability is only useful to me. I have spent much time simply feeling, contemplating art, and experiencing those rare moments when you feel something which you have never felt before, a special moment where life feels fresh and new, this is the sort of experience I get when I enjoy things like art. I believe this shapes a sort of intelligence, which perhaps is only useful to me in that it shapes my creative mind.

I think I am a creative person, although I don't really like being creative or doing anything that involves work, so I would say that my creative potential is probably stifled by the fact that I really don't like exerting effort very much at all. Now, this may be because of some sort of depression, or crushing nihilism, but who really knows for sure? I am only ascribing a diagnosis to what is in fact a pathological issue, one dealing with the biological make up of my mind, and not something which I can attribute some sort of behavior to. This, in my opinion is the problem with the psychological profession of today, is that it has not yet come to the point where it can develop a theory of the mind based off of empirical biological data, but instead only talks about the symptoms that biology subsequently creates. It is for this reason that I will not attempt further to classify the true nature of my intelligence, but instead give you the sort of poetic description, which is what I have just described; what more can we as human beings do, really?

Well, now you know a little bit about how my mind works, but I'm afraid it's frightfully minimal to give you a truly broad understanding and grasp of my mind. Perhaps you don't even know for sure the inner workings of your own mind; of course you don't, how could you? It's not like anyone has really explained it this far. Philosophers have tried to explain it, but I believe all have failed in doing so, because of the problem you see with psychologists, the same problem arises when you try to describe a naturalistic world with guesses. Ah, you see where I'm going with this? Well, perhaps I won't get too pretentious, I know that it's not appreciated in the current world we live in. I am a proud atheist, and I wholeheartedly reject every notion of god and spirits and supernatural. Now you see, this is the most intelligent position that one could take about the world. You know what the original definition of intelligence was, was someone who is not to be trusted because they are too introspective, someone who could disobey authority; this original connotation of the world intelligence has been lost, although it's spirit of derisiveness to open minded individuals is alive and well, for I am the intelligent one.

How could I be so absolutely certain that god doesn't exist? Well, I will answer that question, for you should know that to be an atheist is simply to reject the belief in god as false. There was never any evidence that god existed in the first place, therefor it can be proven that such a claim can be dismissed. This is a problem which seems to weigh down a lot of people though, because not only is that small and seeming trivial fact lost on them, but they seem to reject he notion of the possibility of god being impossible. All the theories of science have rendered the phenomena that have happened in the bible to be nonsense, such as evolution and the world being more than 6000 years old. People seem to incapable of critical thinking, but I have always been scientifically inclined, and have become in turn a logical thinker. This is another case for how I am intellectual. It's really a shame though, that I have to live in such a world where I am not surrounded by other intellectual peers. A lot of the people in this world are simply not intellectual, they're rather cow like. That is unfortunately the fate that someone of my intelligence has to face, it becomes very lonely and isolating, being of such high intelligence.

Last edited by WisdomOfTheTrees on Tue Jul 12, 2016 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zodijackyl
63 Axe Handles High

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 4:46 pm 

WisdomOfTheTrees wrote:
I don't take shit from no one. I'm here to kick ass and chew bubblegum, and I'm all out of gum. I'd consider myself an intellectual, because I like to think and realize when I'm wrong, and open my mind to new facts. That is the mark of a true intellectual, a true thinker. It's true that I spend a lot of time simply contemplating things, whether by choice or by simply by daydreaming. It's true, that sometimes I will find myself unconsciously drifting into new thought. This is especially apparent when I am reading a book, I will all of a sudden find myself thinking about other things, while I am reading the book. Except, when when I find myself engaged in a thought which I came to myself, instead of trying to hold my focus on other things, I find that I'm able to stay with that thought and really explore it's depths. This is another way which I am a more intellectual person than your average person.

One of my weaknesses may be that I don't have all the facts, but this is true of any person, facts are simply tools and they can be false at the same time. So, although I am alert and in tune to the world around me and collecting information, sometimes my facts may be as susceptible to falsehood as anyone's. For this reason, I would say that I am more of a philosopher than maybe a political tactition. Although, I may also say that perhaps some of my intellectual ability is only useful to me. I have spent much time simply feeling, contemplating art, and experiencing those rare moments when you feel something which you have never felt before, a special moment where life feels fresh and new, this is the sort of experience I get when I enjoy things like art. I believe this shapes a sort of intelligence, which perhaps is only useful to me in that it shapes my creative mind.

I think I am a creative person, although I don't really like being creative or doing anything that involves work, so I would say that my creative potential is probably stifled by the fact that I really don't like exerting effort very much at all. Now, this may be because of some sort of depression, or crushing nihilism, but who really knows for sure? I am only ascribing a diagnosis to what is in fact a pathological issue, one dealing with the biological make up of my mind, and not something which I can attribute some sort of behavior to. This, in my opinion is the problem with the psychological profession of today, is that it has not yet come to the point where it can develop a theory of the mind based off of empirical biological data, but instead only talks about the symptoms that biology subsequently creates. It is for this reason that I will not attempt further to classify the true nature of my intelligence, but instead give you the sort of poetic description, which is what I have just described; what more can we as human beings do, really?

Well, now you know a little bit about how my mind works, but I'm afraid it's frightfully minimal to give you a truly broad understanding and grasp of my mind. Perhaps you don't even know for sure the inner workings of your own mind; of course you don't, how could you? It's not like anyone has really explained it this far. Philosophers have tried to explain it, but I believe all have failed in doing so, because of the problem you see with psychologists, the same problem arises when you try to describe a naturalistic world with guesses. Ah, you see where I'm going with this? Well, perhaps I won't get too pretentious, I know that it's not appreciated in the current world we live in. I am a proud atheist, and I wholeheartedly reject every notion of god and spirits and supernatural. Now you see, this is the most intelligent position that one could take about the world. You know what the original definition of intelligence was, was someone who is not to be trusted because they are too introspective, someone who could disobey authority; this original connotation of the world intelligence has been lost, although it's spirit of derisiveness to open minded individuals is alive and well, for I am the intelligent one.

How could I be so absolutely certain that god doesn't exist? Well, I will answer that question, for you should know that to be an atheist is simply to reject the belief in god as false. There was never any evidence that god existed in the first place, therefor it can be proven that such a claim can be dismissed. This is a problem which seems to weigh down a lot of people though, because not only is that small and seeming trivial fact lost on them, but they seem to reject he notion of the possibility of god being impossible. All the theories of science have rendered the phenomena that have happened in the bible to be nonsense, such as evolution and the world being more than 6000 years old. People seem to incapable of critical thinking, but I have always been scientifically inclined, and have become in turn a logical thinker. This is another case for how I am intellectual. It's really a shame though, that I have to live in such a world where I am not surrounded by other intellectual peers. A lot of the people in this world are simply not intellectual, they're rather cow like. That is unfortunately the fake that someone of my intelligence has to face, it becomes very lonely and isolating, being of such high intelligence.

:violin:

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 140, 141, 142, 143, 144, 145, 146 ... 156  Next