Encyclopaedia Metallum: The Metal Archives

Message board

* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
Panty Munch Secretion
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 11:02 am 

Hi guys! So glad to finally be joining the metal archives. I have been a fan of metal for a long time, since I was around 16. I got into the genre because I was browsing classic rock videos on youtube and I wanted to dig into whatever I could find. At the time I was listening to mostly The Doors, Genesis, and Pink Floyd. I stumbled into a channel that uploaded metal videos through looking through the subscriptions of some guy's youtube channel. That lead me to Slayyer000's channel (or whatever his name was), and another channel called hellheadbanger. Both are now deleted. I discovered some of my first favorite metal bands from those channels through their favorite videos and uploads. Stuff like Unbounded Terror, Frostmoon - tordenkrieg, Aspid - Extravasation, inquisition, etc. At the time I mostly found videos through youtube's related video search and I would create playlists of albums to listen to them. I remember when I first stumbled onto metal it was like I felt like I had unearthed something spectacular that was totally new to me. I didn't discover the metal-archives until about a year later. My interest in metal only grew from there.

Eventually after I felt like I had explored all that the underground of metal had to offer (save for a slew of dogshit underground trendy metal bands) I started to feel at a bit of a loss. That's when I decided I would start to explore other music. I don't listen to that much metal anymore, but it still seems like a genre to me that has the largest offering of material that I could have ever imagined. I tend to gravitate towards more harsh, cynical, unhappy music than anything, so stuff like Joy Division is cool. I like a few goth rock bands, and a few emo bands, a few industrial bands, a few post rock bands, a few shoegaze bands, a few slowcore bands, a few noise rock bands, and I have tried out more stuff that I never care to return to than I have in these genres than with metal. Out of the hundreds of metal albums I downloaded and ended up buying some years ago, I had most of them on constant rotation for years, as opposed to other genres I just get tired of and don't find anything interesting in.

So although metal may not currently be my genre of choice, that's mostly because I got tired of the same old albums on rotation all the time. I am a bit of an insatiable music explorer. I always have my hopes that the next album I unearth will be more interesting that whatever I was listening to before hand. I have been in love with this website for some years. Simply because of the fully realized layout, with discography, ratings, similar artists, photos, lyrics, etc. I was addicted to this site for a very very long time. I hope that the forum will be a satisfying experience for me too.

Azmodes
Ultranaut

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 11:37 am 

Welcome, Panty Munch Secretion. Also, goodbye, ban-evading troll. :)

CardsOfWar
Metalhead

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:09 am 

Hello fellow Metal Archivians. I've been lurking around here for quite some time, and I finally decided I should start contributing, whether it is constructive wiki edits or beautiful time wasting on the forum... So, the basics:

14 years old (But not a dickhead. I try to represent myself in such a way that you wouldn't know I was 14 unless you were told)
Male
Tabletop RPG fan.

Now for all 0 of you who care is a list of some of my favourite bands:
* Bathory
* Dissection
* Behemoth
* Emperor
* Amon Amarth
* Communic
* Marduk
* Blind Guardian
* Ensiferum
* Primordial
* Incursus
* Manilla Road
* Sabaton
* Hammerfall (First got me into metal)
* Inferi
* Belphegor
* Dragonland
* StormWarrior
* Origin
* Satyricon (New and old. *gasp*)

Quite a few others as well, but I can't be bothered writing more of this useless post now. Recommendations based on the aforementioned bands are much appreciated!

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:07 am 

Fellow (young!!) Aussie eh? Welcome to the archives.

Bathory and Primordial in that list I see. Certainly not a bad start at all :metal:

My collection

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 4:30 am 

Welcome to CardsOfWar :beer:
Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

Lilium Wolcott
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 4:03 pm 

Hi! I'm Lilium Wolcott! I like black metal and kittens!

DCCLXXVII
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:04 pm 

If you like black metal and kittens, then this is the song for you

Spoiler: show

Welcome!
In the light of Christ

Thrashed23
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:53 am 

Metalheads! Allow me to introduce myself, my name is Thrashed. This is actually my second post, ive realized the error of my ways, not making this thread my first post. Im not a stranger to MA ive been browsing for quite some time, I should have known better, im not asking for forgiveness, ill take any bashing or flaming like a man.
Im from the USA, im 23 years old. Thrash is by far my favorite genre. Razor, Coroner, Toxik, Evildead, Sodom, Megadeth, Vio-Lence, Faith or Fear, Whiplash etc. I do enjoy metal in all its forms but Like I said Thrash is my favorite.

Blackwatershed
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:05 am 

Hi everybody ... my name is Lupe, I'm from Peru.. I'm 24. I listen to metal since 2007 (not too many years! ) I'm a big music lover, so metal is not the only genre I like, I also love classical music, rock (specially prog rock), grunge, jazz, ethnic music, etc... Of course the are stuff I don't like xd
My favorite metal bands are: Opeth, Annihilator, Diablo swing orchestra, Orphaned Land, be'lakor, bloodbath, etc
My favorite no-metal bands: Camel, King Crimson, Jethro tull, Dead can dance, pink floyd, Triana, El Polen (it's a 70's fusion rock band from Peru), Steven Wilson, etc
I studied film direction , but I haven't made any movie yet! (just short films), I do photography ( I love take concert pics!, nature and portrait ), I love nature, animal, travels, writing, reading, etc

I studied film direction , but I haven't made any movie yet! (just shortfilms), I do photogrphy ( I love to take concert pics!, nature and portairs ), I love nature, animal, travels, writing, reading, etc

I used to play the drums, but I let it since I felt in love with the winds! now I'm learning flute and other wind instruments...

MDL
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 3:32 pm 

Hey guys!
I'm MDL666, writting from Portugal, so, my english sometimes is not very good!
The band that brought me into metal, definitly was Acrassicauda, from Iraq. I've been searching information about some bands in Metal Archives since the last year, but today, i decided to make an account.
Well, besides metal, i like animals (vegetarian), TV shows, some cartoons, read creepypastas and search about the supernatural and other mysteries around the world.
I like to play drums and bass too. However, i only play in a bass that is in a local shop, i have no intentions to buy it.

I think that's all. Cya folks!

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 7:31 pm 

Salival brayings to Thrashed23, Blackwatershed, and MDL666!

Leave a steaming, stinking Rotting Repulsive Rotting Corpse = LIVE YOUNG - DIE FREE and move on to the NEXT form of yourself....or just be a fat Wal-Mart Mcdonalds pc of shit what do I give a fuck what you do.

Last.fm

_Jace_
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 10:14 am 

Hi Guys, im 17 years old and live in Germany.
I have been listening for Metal about ~10 years, my first favorite song ever was Slipknot's Duality and they were my favorite Band until 2008 (i didn't really like AHIG, and sometime i stopped caring. I still like a few songs but now i even find them a tad embarrassing). At the age of 8 or 9 i got into Children Of Bodom, Avenged Sevenfold and Metallica, i still like COB very much, i rarely listen to A7X and Metallica's ok now, but i'm not too crazy about them anymore. Then in 2010 i lost interest in Metal, i always listened to a bit of Metal at least but it wasn't until 2013, that my playlists mostly contained of Metal. I got into Dimmu Borgir somewhere in late 2010 and bought In Sorte Diaboli immediately, i read online about Black Metal and so i knew the history but i couldn't get into Black Metal at all. I found Burzum's War and Mayhem's Deathcrush funny, but i always thought how could you listen to such stuff. In 2012 i started liking Burzum and in 2013 Immortal. Now i am really into Mayhem and Bathory since a few months, so you could say it took me almost 4 years to get into Black Metal. Since i didn't really listen to Metal anymore i wore 'normal' clothes again and i grew out of most of my band shirts. Now i've recently bought a Bathory Goat shirt and a Mayhem Logo shirt, since i'm getting back into Metal i really want to get the metal look again and i am also growing my hair out again at the moment (the longest i had was to my chin at 10 or 11 i guess). I'm also working on a battle vest at the moment and i will show it in the battle vest threads as soon as i have sewn my new patches on.
Oh yeah and i've been playing the drums for 9 years, 6 of them with lessons and now starting to have lessons again. I also play piano but it isn't as near as much fun as playing drums.
So yeah, there you go, glad if you read all of it, and i'm hoping for a good time here. Cheers!

Abbath is much too grim and frostbitten for such mortal telephone technology.

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 12:15 am 

Diamhea wrote:
Salival brayings

:thumbsup:

T51b
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:13 am 

_Jace_ wrote:
Hi Guys, im 17 years old and live in Germany.
I have been listening for Metal about ~10 years, my first favorite song ever was Slipknot's Duality and they were my favorite Band until 2008 (i didn't really like AHIG, and sometime i stopped caring. I still like a few songs but now i even find them a tad embarrassing). At the age of 8 or 9 i got into Children Of Bodom, Avenged Sevenfold and Metallica, i still like COB very much, i rarely listen to A7X and Metallica's ok now, but i'm not too crazy about them anymore. Then in 2010 i lost interest in Metal, i always listened to a bit of Metal at least but it wasn't until 2013, that my playlists mostly contained of Metal. I got into Dimmu Borgir somewhere in late 2010 and bought In Sorte Diaboli immediately, i read online about Black Metal and so i knew the history but i couldn't get into Black Metal at all. I found Burzum's War and Mayhem's Deathcrush funny, but i always thought how could you listen to such stuff. In 2012 i started liking Burzum and in 2013 Immortal. Now i am really into Mayhem and Bathory since a few months, so you could say it took me almost 4 years to get into Black Metal. Since i didn't really listen to Metal anymore i wore 'normal' clothes again and i grew out of most of my band shirts. Now i've recently bought a Bathory Goat shirt and a Mayhem Logo shirt, since i'm getting back into Metal i really want to get the metal look again and i am also growing my hair out again at the moment (the longest i had was to my chin at 10 or 11 i guess). I'm also working on a battle vest at the moment and i will show it in the battle vest threads as soon as i have sewn my new patches on.
Oh yeah and i've been playing the drums for 9 years, 6 of them with lessons and now starting to have lessons again. I also play piano but it isn't as near as much fun as playing drums.
So yeah, there you go, glad if you read all of it, and i'm hoping for a good time here. Cheers!

Are you a fan of 1349 or Rotting Christ? They are going to be playing in Oberhausen next month (separate dates) and I was planning on catching a train out there to see them (I am in Lüneburg on a student visa). Not many metal fans in this town as far as I have seen, but I expect Hamburg is a different story and was planning on poking around there this weekend to see what I could turn up.

ukashkart
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 3:02 am 

Anyway, just sayin' what's up.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 12:12 pm 

Salival brayings to kkashkart and _Jace_

Last.fm

Wargus
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:24 am 

Hello everyone!
Even though I'm a member of the site for 10 years, and have posted sometimes on the forum, I haven't introduced myself. So here I go :
I'm a 35 years old metalhead from Belgium, listening to metal for about 20 years now. First metalbands I listened to were Iron Maiden and Metallica (Fear of the Dark/Black Album era). Back in the days my only two sources of getting to know new music were MTV and a radioshow on Studio Brussel called Metalopolis. Thanks to Metalopolis I got interested in the more extreme genres of metal, especially black metal. The first extreme metal album I bought was 'Ancient Rites - Blasfemia Eternal', which opened a whole new musical world to me. From there on things just got worse :D. Nowadays I still listen to metal - almost - exclusively (call me narrowminded), but my disposable income isn't that big, and if I have to choose, I choose metal music. Thanks to this site and internet in general I discovered a lot of new bands, and keep on discovering new bands.
Cheers !

heavymetalbanger1989
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:28 pm 

Thrashed23 wrote:
This is actually my second post, ive realized the error of my ways, not making this thread my first post. Im not a stranger to MA ive been browsing for quite some time, I should have known better, im not asking for forgiveness, ill take any bashing or flaming like a man.

You're gonna get in so much trouble, like a whole month of detention. I wouldn't want to be you.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 10:41 pm 

Wargus wrote:
Hello everyone!
Even though I'm a member of the site for 10 years, and have posted sometimes on the forum, I haven't introduced myself. So here I go :

Strong join date m8.

Last.fm

Esgeea
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 11:09 am 

Hello everyone! I hope I will like this forum and know you in time :)

PereraViking
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 11:30 am 

HIIII, I'm PERERA from Brazil.
My english is shit.
KISSES!!!!!!!! :bow:

Lord_Brendan
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:06 am 

Welcome 'mallcore kids" :lol:

Hope you enjoy it here guys
Hmm, I actually wouldn't mind buying him a sauna if it would reduce the odds of me getting infected by his excess sensitive-skin flakes that get blown off in the wind. I don't want to turn into a cunt.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 12:52 am 

Bestial hailz to PereraViking and Esgeea :beer:

Last.fm

Eossi
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:46 am 

Hail, people of metal-archives.

I finally decided to register to this site since I find myself browsing through either the forums or the database pretty much daily (working is a tedious thing) and thought I'd add our little death metal band to the fold. Much to my suprise I found it already in the queue. I play drums and acted as the appointed slavedriver while producing our debut EP, hopefully I'll hold the same position in the future. I also enjoy various video games, oftentimes a bit too much.

There, introducing oneself is a hard thing, at least without the invigorating power of beer.

LeMiserable
Milhouse van Houten

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:48 am 

Welcome to the forum "thisnameistoogoddamnlongtowriteproperlysoiwilljustmakeitintosomethingevenmoreobtrusive"

Nah, kidding. Enjoy your stay!

dreadmeat
emere vendere cambire

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 8:23 am 

LeMiserable wrote:
Welcome to the forum "thisnameistoogoddamnlongtowriteproperlysoiwilljustmakeitintosomethingevenmoreobtrusive"

Nah, kidding. Enjoy your stay!

We're working on that :nods:

rogercrow
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 4:55 pm 

Hey everybody. My name is Roger I'm from Sao Paulo, Brazil and I've been listening to Metal for about 20 years now.

I like all subgenres and hope to spend some good time here in the forums.

Bollthorn
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:32 pm 

Hey guys.

Just signed up to the MA forums, but used the website for years.

I'm from North Yorkshire, England and I've listened to Metal for about 17 years now.

My favorite band of all time are Bal-Sagoth, and other than that my fav bands are the usual Black/Death/Power/Folk/Viking spreadsheet :D

Also a huge fan of World of Warcraft, Warhammer 40K, D&D, and Tolkien.

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:39 am 

Howdy rogercrow and bollthorn :headbang:

Battle Magic is my favourite Bal-Sagoth.

Last.fm

Esgeea
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:23 am 

Diamhea wrote:
Bestial hailz to PereraViking and Esgeea :beer:

:beer:

TuckerofThorrAxe
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:40 pm 

So I guess I'll do the introduction thing. My name's Tucker. I'm 23, and I've been listening to metal since I was 12. I play guitar in an Indiana based black/doom band called Thorr-Axe. Outside of metal, I hike a lot, read a lot, and cook whenever I have to.

Ghatanothoa
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:04 am 

Hi there,

I'm in my mid-thirties and hailing from Poland.
Some of you might recognize this country. We had a pope, you know. And this other guy. Together they gave the commies the finger and set the masses free.

Seriously though, I've been browsing through The Archives since I don't remember when. Then, like 2 years ago I decided to set up an account. However the activation e-mail ended up in my spam folder, which I didn't bother to check. So I was still an inactive user up until now.

Hope I will not get banned too quickly so you people can be subjected to my occasional spurts of consciousness.

HAIL AND KILL!

Diamhea
Eats and Spits Corpses

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:08 pm 

Morbid greetz to TuckerofThorrAxe and Ghatanothoa :headbang:

Last.fm

Grave_Wyrm
Metal Sloth

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 4:08 pm 

Spit-up belched in welcome to all newcomers!

darkeningday
xXdArKenIngDayXx

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:36 am 

TuckerofThorrAxe wrote:
So I guess I'll do the introduction thing. My name's Tucker. I'm 23, and I've been listening to metal since I was 12. I play guitar in an Indiana based black/doom band called Thorr-Axe. Outside of metal, I hike a lot, read a lot, and cook whenever I have to.

Dude, Wall of Spears is sweeeeet. Heard it years ago already; awaiting another :).
Please donate to a local abortion fund of your choice here instead of high-profile national organizations like NARAL or Planned Parenthood. If you're unsure where to distribute funds, select an abortion trigger law state; any organization will do.

Unholier Master
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:31 am 

I've been a user of MA for many years (easily the best resource for metal), as well as a lurker of the forums. Finally took the jump.

I listen to primarily black and death metal. Really keen on lots of different stuff, though. I dig these labels a lot: Profound Lore, Norma Evangelium Diaboli, Dark Descent, World Terror Committee, Iron Bonehead, Moribund Cult, Nuclear War Now!, The Flenser, Debemur Morti, etc.

I'm a busy dude with a family and a demanding job, and metal is a wonderful outlet to the work day's banality.

Mutter from the gutter
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:30 pm 

Hello there (and happy Halloween, now we're at it),

I'm a nineteen year old Belgian who got into metal some four years ago and has been frequenting this site ever since, what with it being so comprehensive and down-to-earth and such. My gateway band happened to be Eluveitie, which concretely translates to a lot of mediocre CD's now gathering dust on a shelf. These days, I tend to listen to more Paysage d'Hiver and The Angelic Process than is good for me, along with stuff from just about every corner of the metal spectrum bar traditional heavy metal.

I finally signed up for this site because I've got this review itch which really needs some scratching. Here's to hoping I'm getting one through the moderation process mostly intact!

CrushedRevelation
Devil's right hand

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:22 pm 

Unholier Master wrote:
I've been a user of MA for many years (easily the best resource for metal), as well as a lurker of the forums. Finally took the jump.

I listen to primarily black and death metal. Really keen on lots of different stuff, though. I dig these labels a lot: Profound Lore, Norma Evangelium Diaboli, Dark Descent, World Terror Committee, Iron Bonehead, Moribund Cult, Nuclear War Now!, The Flenser, Debemur Morti, etc.

I'm a busy dude with a family and a demanding job, and metal is a wonderful outlet to the work day's banality.

We would most certainly have some similar tastes in metal with those labels you have listed. Definitely. Anyway, welcome to the boards, and that also extends to Mutter from the gutter :metal:

My collection

Ancient Sunlight
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 8:17 am 

I'm new. I've used the Metal Archives for some time now, and figured it was only fair to register! I love Accept, Running Wild, Raven, Loudness, Anthem, 'Priest, Manowar, U.D.O., W.A.S.P. and more than a few other bands. I might just go to see Saxon, Skid Row and Halcyon Way here in the Netherlands this Thursday, which would be my first concert. I listened to classical music only for years before growing restless and wild - my favorite composers being Brahms, Reger, Schnittke, Haydn, Bartók, Messiaen and Mahler. I also love to read (my favorite authors are Thomas Carlyle, John Ruskin, William Hazlitt, John Milton, Edmund Spenser, Samuel Taylor Coleridge, Johann Wolfgang von Goethe and Matthew Arnold, in case anybody cares), to party like tomorrow is the end of the world, to talk endlessly, to watch Western movies (obligatory favorite list: Once Upon a Time in the West; The Naked Spur; A Fistful of Dynamite -- the Running Wild song is great too! --; Rio Bravo; The Searchers; The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance; The Good, the Bad and the Ugly; A Fistful of Dollars; For a Few Dollars More; The Big Gundown), and to entertain myself in random ways. I also used to frequently play video games, binge-watch Yasujiro Ozu films, read plays and essays out loud to the chagrin of my family, and memorize poems to perform in theatrical fashion. That should be enough information!
"One of my mottos is: anything has a value if you know what it is. If you can say what the thing is, the value becomes apparent. It may be a very small value. It may be a negative one. I also swear by Gertrude Stein’s wisdom, 'Description is explanation.'"

SanctuaryCat
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 4:15 pm 

Hey.

I'm new. Been listening to metal for 15 years now starting at Nu Metal and recently finally getting into Black Metal!

The day my listening habits changed forever was when I brought Opeth-Still Life on a whim based on its cover. From then onwards I've been really into my metal.

Favourite band at the minute is Winterfylleth. Other bands constantly hitting my headphones are Alda, Panopticon, Drudkh, Wolves in the Throne Room, Windhand, Mykur, Bolt Thrower, Bast, Wodensthrone, Pallbearer and The Flight of Sleipnir.

I never really got the Death Metal thing, but I recently saw Cannibal Corpse and Anaal Nakraath.Had a brilliant time, so maybe I'll get into it a bit more.

I love Doom metal too. All forms!

I work as a nurse. I love to read SF/Fantasy and I also am a bit of a history/society/cultures buff. Currently reading about the Caucus Mountains since 1800.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 132, 133, 134, 135, 136, 137, 138 ... 156  Next