* FAQ    * Register   * Login 

Reply to topic
Author Message Previous topic | Next topic
foul body autopsy
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:16 am 

CapricornSupernaut wrote:
foul body autopsy wrote:
hey, im new-ish here. long time reader i guess and eventually decided to sign up. love this site and last.fm

fav bands at the moment include, agalloch, necrophagist, decapitated, be'lakor, moonsorrow, nile, nokturnal mortem, ulcerate etc.... so a bit of a mix.

live in the uk and love going to gigs. dont mind playing xbox 360 as well.

Good to see a fellow Briton on the Archives. Welcome!

PS: Playstation is best.

cheers! i'm a mad gears of war fan, which is why i love the xbox. :) a playstation3 would be nice though for a few of the exclusives they have!

Pratl1971
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:33 pm 

Not exactly new here, but new to the board. :)

I'm Chris, 40, from Chicago, and have been a metal fan for 35-years. I sang for a band called Adversary back in the late 80's/early 90's and now write reviews for Metal Psalter, an online forum/'zine that is on the rise. I like all facets of the movement, but I'm partial to black, death, old school thrash and NWOBHM.

Anyway, that's me in a shell. :beer:

CapricornSupernaut
Metalhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:38 pm 

Pratl1971 wrote:
Not exactly new here, but new to the board. :)

I'm Chris, 40, from Chicago, and have been a metal fan for 35-years. I sang for a band called Adversary back in the late 80's/early 90's and now write reviews for Metal Psalter, an online forum/'zine that is on the rise. I like all facets of the movement, but I'm partial to black, death, old school thrash and NWOBHM.

Anyway, that's me in a shell. :beer:

And your shell seems quite cool.
Welcome to the board.

Pratl1971
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:37 am 

Thanks Cap!

BlindedHypocrisy
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:38 pm 

Hello, my online nickname is Slip.

There's not really much to me, in my spare time I listen to music (usually j-pop, metal or electronic) or write terrible lyrics/stories/etc.

The one thing I've always wanted to do was write reviews, but for some reason I struggle to do that, so if anyone could give tips on writing reviews, I'd be extremely grateful.

I hail from the land of crumpet munchers, and promise to contribute as much as I can when I post.

-Thanks

Pratl1971
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:58 pm 

BlindedHypocrisy wrote:

There's not really much to me, in my spare time I listen to music (usually j-pop, metal or electronic) or write terrible lyrics/stories/etc.

The one thing I've always wanted to do was write reviews, but for some reason I struggle to do that, so if anyone could give tips on writing reviews, I'd be extremely grateful.

I hail from the land of crumpet munchers, and promise to contribute as much as I can when I post.

-Thanks

Welcome aboard. I write for an online 'zine, man...PM me if you have specific questions/concerns and I'll see if I can help out.

CapricornSupernaut
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:18 pm 

BlindedHypocrisy wrote:

-Thanks

Great to see another Brit on the archives. It's also nice to see your broad music taste (can't touch J-pop myself, and the most electronic music I can take is ambient or electronic rock).
Welcome aboard!

Between Bono and the murderer
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:01 pm 

Hello. I'm from England.

I was a completely normal metal kid, loved Metallica, Machine head, Slayer etc.

Then i discovered black metal.

I'm now completely obsessed.

Pratl1971
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:03 pm 

Be careful...those shadowy figures in the corners of a dark room eventually wreck your social life. :) I've never been the same and I've been listening to satanic music for the better part of 30-years.

Atrocious_Mutilation
7mL

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:22 pm 

Between Bono and the murderer wrote:
Hello. I'm from England.

You and me, man. I think we'll get along just fine. Welcome to the Archives! :)

CapricornSupernaut
Metalhead

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:46 pm 

Between Bono and the murderer wrote:
Hello. I'm from England.

Yet another Brit on the Archives! Mahzel Tov!
I'm not obsessed with black metal (I prefer power, thrash and death metal) but yeah, black metal is awesome.

Mike_235
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:15 am 

Hello, I'm Michael, 20, from New Zealand and I'm relatively new to the metal genre. Like many of you I was introduced to metal through friends with bands like Metallica and Black Sabbath, but it wasn't until I came across Black metal about 5 years ago that I really became hooked. Over the years I have branched out a bit more and enjoy Doom metal and some Death, but my taste are still quite limited at the moment. I put this down to the fact it takes me awhile to digest the music so I can get a bit overwhelmed if I take on too much.

I've only just registered here, but I've been visiting this site since I first got into metal and it's helped me find some of my favourite bands, so thanks to the people responsible for this site and thanks to all the users to write reviews and maintain band pages - they're a huge help.

My favourite bands include: Pavor, Esoteric and Paysage D'Hiver.

CapricornSupernaut
Metalhead

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:14 pm 

Mike_235 wrote:
Hello, I'm Michael, 20, from New Zealand and I'm relatively new to the metal genre. Like many of you I was introduced to metal through friends with bands like Metallica and Black Sabbath, but it wasn't until I came across Black metal about 5 years ago that I really became hooked. Over the years I have branched out a bit more and enjoy Doom metal and some Death, but my taste are still quite limited at the moment. I put this down to the fact it takes me awhile to digest the music so I can get a bit overwhelmed if I take on too much.

I've only just registered here, but I've been visiting this site since I first got into metal and it's helped me find some of my favourite bands, so thanks to the people responsible for this site and thanks to all the users to write reviews and maintain band pages - they're a huge help.

My favourite bands include: Pavor, Esoteric and Paysage D'Hiver.

I don't see many kiwis on the Archives; welcome nonetheless. And I don't get why so many people are obsessed with black metal! I'm more of a thrasher anyway.

veryevildead
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:07 pm 

Greetings!

Just signed up, been browsing the site for a few days now. It kicks ass. Lots of great information to read up on.

I'm Nick from NJ U.S.A. Yea its a shitty piece of shit state but its my home.

\m/

The_Moor
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 5:24 pm 

Hi i'm Daniel, 20, from Poland but currently living in Spain. I'm in metal since 2000, starting with bands like Fear Factory, Killswitch Engage or Shadows Fall, and currently moving deep into gothic metal, doom metal and subgenres, black metal, all things symphonic and melodic death. I decide to register here cause since i have a minimal culture in metal, this website was and is the most importante reference to me, and i try to offer my help as much as i can, including put some bands.

Some of my references in metal: Fear Factory, Dark Tranquillity, Samael, Heaven Shall Burn, Decapitated, My Dying Bride and Draconian.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 5:39 pm 

BlindedHypocrisy wrote:
There's not really much to me,
That's modest. :lol:

BlindedHypocrisy wrote:

There are a few threads on this board dedicated to review's quality, each in a different way.
- The review feedback workshop is for users to post their reviews in for others to comment. Read it, and you'll soon begin to grasp what others consider to be good or bad in reviews, and improve your own based on that, and when you're confident enough, post yours there aswell.
- In the Official Review Discussion Thread users post reviews they wish to comment on. Reading it will give you a clue as to what sort of things are appreciated and what is frowned upon in reviews.
- The Oven Fodder is for requesting the deletion of sub-par reviews. Mods will read each nominated reviews and delete it if it sucks too hard to be on the site. If you find much in common with your reviews and those, you know you have a lot of work to do. :lol:

CapricornSupernaut
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 7:32 pm 

The_Moor wrote:
Hi i'm Daniel, 20, from Poland but currently living in Spain. I'm in metal since 2000, starting with bands like Fear Factory, Killswitch Engage or Shadows Fall, and currently moving deep into gothic metal, doom metal and subgenres, black metal, all things symphonic and melodic death. I decide to register here cause since i have a minimal culture in metal, this website was and is the most importante reference to me, and i try to offer my help as much as i can, including put some bands.

Some of my references in metal: Fear Factory, Dark Tranquillity, Samael, Heaven Shall Burn, Decapitated, My Dying Bride and Draconian.

Greetings! I always think it's cool when someone emigrates to another country.

amazingjane
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 4:36 pm 

im jane
im new
i like music
all kinds
but mostly
metal

CapricornSupernaut
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 4:48 pm 

amazingjane wrote:
im jane
im new
i like music
all kinds
but mostly
metal

Bit of a sparse introduction, but anyway, welcome to Encyclopedia Metallum. What are your favourite types of metal, or your favourite bands?

amazingjane
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 5:21 pm 

Bit of a sparse introduction, but anyway, welcome to Encyclopedia Metallum. What are your favourite types of metal, or your favourite bands?

Sorry, I'll expand.
I'm Jane and I usually stay in Costa Rica, but I'm in the process of moving. I'm an artist/ art teacher, and I have loved metal/ hardcore since I was in high school and my friend had a lot of shows in his basement. I have also been inspired to do some large scale drawings by listening to some of my favorite bands.
I like screamo, grindcore, metalcore, doom metal, progressive metal, and a little funeral doom.
My favorites are Earth, The Red Chord, Haarp, INVDRS, and Saetia.
Music is important to me, and I am always interested in hearing new bands.

CapricornSupernaut
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 5:31 pm 

amazingjane wrote:

Sorry, I'll expand.
I'm Jane and I usually stay in Costa Rica, but I'm in the process of moving. I'm an artist/ art teacher, and I have loved metal/ hardcore since I was in high school and my friend had a lot of shows in his basement. I have also been inspired to do some large scale drawings by listening to some of my favorite bands.
I like screamo, grindcore, metalcore, doom metal, progressive metal, and a little funeral doom.
My favorites are Earth, The Red Chord, Haarp, INVDRS, and Saetia.
Music is important to me, and I am always interested in hearing new bands.

Hmm, not the first screamo fan I've seen on the board.

amazingjane
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 5:40 pm 

Hmm, not the first screamo fan I've seen on the board.

Yes, I'm one of a million.

MrDismemberment
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 6:11 pm 

Hello, I'm new.

CapricornSupernaut
Metalhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 6:26 pm 

MrDismemberment wrote:
Hello, I'm new.

Hello, welcome to the board.

hakarl
Metel fraek

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 6:27 pm 

MrDismemberment wrote:
Hello, I'm new.

Hello, new.

MalignantThrone
Vanished in the Cosmic Futility

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:45 pm 

Ilwhyan wrote:
MrDismemberment wrote:
Hello, I'm new.

Hello, new.

:lol: Goddammit, why is this so funny?

AshenCold
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:42 pm 

Okay, long story short, I've been using this site since around mid 2007, and I've only just now decided to make an account. Part of the reason why was me being unable to decide on a username, seeing as I wanted to use the same one I have on Last.fm, but it was already taken by a fairly prominent user.

But anyway, regarding my taste, I don't really have a favourite subgenre, but there's a few that I mostly avoid. My favourite bands/artists include Insomnium, Agalloch, Blind Guardian, Katatonia, Summoning (hence the username), Devin Townsend, Nokturnal Mortum, Moonsorrow, Negura Bunget, Drudkh, Bathory, Bolt Thrower, Pain of Salvation, Lost Horizon, Be'Lakor, Disillusion, and Opeth, plus some others that I've forgotten about. Right now I'm listening to My Dying Bride's The Angel and the Dark River, as part of "Doom Metal December".

Outside of metal, I'm a big fan of Tool, and I also like Porcupine Tree, Massive Attack, Infected Mushroom, Dredg, Radiohead, The Mars Volta, Between the Buried and Me, Fever Ray, and...uh...Coheed and Cambria...

CapricornSupernaut
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 3:11 pm 

AshenCold wrote:
Okay, long story short, I've been using this site since around mid 2007, and I've only just now decided to make an account. Part of the reason why was me being unable to decide on a username, seeing as I wanted to use the same one I have on Last.fm, but it was already taken by a fairly prominent user.

But anyway, regarding my taste, I don't really have a favourite subgenre, but there's a few that I mostly avoid. My favourite bands/artists include Insomnium, Agalloch, Blind Guardian, Katatonia, Summoning (hence the username), Devin Townsend, Nokturnal Mortum, Moonsorrow, Negura Bunget, Drudkh, Bathory, Bolt Thrower, Pain of Salvation, Lost Horizon, Be'Lakor, Disillusion, and Opeth, plus some others that I've forgotten about. Right now I'm listening to My Dying Bride's The Angel and the Dark River, as part of "Doom Metal December".

Outside of metal, I'm a big fan of Tool, and I also like Porcupine Tree, Massive Attack, Infected Mushroom, Dredg, Radiohead, The Mars Volta, Between the Buried and Me, Fever Ray, and...uh...Coheed and Cambria...

Mate, I won't take the piss because you like Coheed and Cambria, because Welcome Home is a damn good song. Cool metal preferences, and that happens to be my favourite My Dying Bride album. Welcome to the forums at long last.

Metantoine
Slave to Santa

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 3:38 pm 

I think we have a new MA butler, CapricornSupernaut is doing MikeyC's job...

Fuck yeah, The Mars Volta is great!

Metantoine's Magickal Realm

AshenCold
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 3:41 pm 

Mate, I won't take the piss because you like Coheed and Cambria, because Welcome Home is a damn good song. Cool metal preferences, and that happens to be my favourite My Dying Bride album. Welcome to the forums at long last.

Turn Loose the Swans remains unbeaten in my opinion. I completely agree about Welcome Home though, as it has one of my all time favourite guitar solos, across all genres. Anyway, cheers for the unexpectedly warm reception!

CapricornSupernaut
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 3:58 pm 

Metantoine wrote:
I think we have a new MA butler, CapricornSupernaut is doing MikeyC's job...

Fuck yeah, The Mars Volta is great!

I've taken Mikey's place for the time being (hides bloodstained axe). I see myself as more a grizzled drill sargeant inspecting the new blood anyway.

AshenCold wrote:

Turn Loose the Swans remains unbeaten in my opinion. I completely agree about Welcome Home though, as it has one of my all time favourite guitar solos, across all genres. Anyway, cheers for the unexpectedly warm reception!

We're not all assholes here.

Last edited by CapricornSupernaut on Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AshenCold
Mallcore Kid

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:19 pm 

I know, I was kidding with that. Actually I think this place is one of the most civil music forums on the net. Don't know why it took me so long to join really. Oh well.

CapricornSupernaut
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:26 pm 

AshenCold wrote:

I know, I was kidding with that. Actually I think this place is one of the most civil music forums on the net. Don't know why it took me so long to join really. Oh well.

But beware of John_Sunlight.

SmithMetal84
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:46 pm 

'Ello, I'm 14,... and yeah.
Dave Mustaine sucks big balls.
Fuck all fanboys.

CapricornSupernaut
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:56 pm 

SmithMetal84 wrote:
Fuck all fanboys.

Very hostile introduction...I like it.

TheOldOne
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:58 pm 

SmithMetal84 wrote:
Fuck all fanboys.

What a lovely intro post.

last.fm

SmithMetal84
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:08 pm 

TheOldOne wrote:
SmithMetal84 wrote:
Fuck all fanboys.

What a lovely intro post.

Oh, and my name's Brandon. Better? :beer:

SmithMetal84
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:09 pm 

And thrash is my favorite genre, (black being close behind) - if anyone cares, that is.

CapricornSupernaut
Metalhead

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:27 pm 

SmithMetal84 wrote:
And thrash is my favorite genre, (black being close behind) - if anyone cares, that is.

Thrash is tied with power as my favourite genre, and black isn't far behind for me either. So, what thrash and/or black bands do you like (I half expect Destroyer 666 to be mentioned).

SmithMetal84
Metal newbie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:57 pm 

SmithMetal84 wrote:

Thrash is tied with power as my favourite genre, and black isn't far behind for me either. So, what thrash and/or black bands do you like (I half expect Destroyer 666 to be mentioned).

That'd be a long-ass list, sir. If you're asking about thrash/black, though, then my favorite would without question be Aura Noir.

Reply to topic Go to page Previous  1 ... 104, 105, 106, 107, 108, 109, 110 ... 156  Next